Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    If it's as simple as a bad turbo, I can't imagine it should cost $3,500 to replace, unless the engine is particularly difficult to work on, but then again, might be right at dealership prices.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Your missing the little picture here -- it's a 5-year-old car, maintained by the book, that just turned into a project. That is simply not allowed.
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    steine13 said:

Your missing the little picture here -- it's a 5-year-old car, maintained by the book, that just turned into a project. That is simply not allowed.

That’s not a bug, it’s a feature.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    steine13 said:

>> No love for the Golf?

No.

I "read on the internet" how the 1.4 TSI is a 100k mile engine. That's neither here nor there.
    Then Steve Lang of 'Hammer Time' fame said the same thing.
    THEN I saw a local ad that did nothing to reassure me:

2016 Sportwagon 6MT, 106k for $6k. I clicked on it, thinking salvage title, scam, whatever... but no:

One owner, all maintenance done at the dealer, clean car.... broken turbo. No help from the dealer or VW, they want $3,500 to replace. Would someone please buy his car and do the work?

Someone did, apparently, because the ad disappeared after a few days. VWs will last a long time, but it can be an expensive ride. I'd have a lot more confidence in the 2.0, it's a proven engine..not without its own quirks and issues (cough, high-pressure fuel pump), but it'll be long-term viable for someone with resources.

I just hate feeling like an idiot for buying a 'superior' product and then paying through the nose to keep it running.

I've had two VWs all my life -- a 1978 Passat [Dasher] in Germany I got as a hand-me-down when I was a student... and a 1988 Fox, orginally from Oregon, rust free, for a couple years in the late 90s... simple, solid, pleasant cars both, as was an '87 Audi 4000 that succumbed to rusting fuel lines... my wife still calls that the most solid car we ever owned.. I like VAG products, but man...

Older Jetta diesel wagon with a stick? (almost snagged one of these in 2016 during dieselgate)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    I would not hesitate to pick up a lightly used VW with the 2.0T.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    the Golf had the 1.8t through 2018. Looks like they went to the 1.4t for 2019.

Not sure that a sample size of 1 car with over 100k and unknown history really means too much. But based on this, you might want to avoid turbos entirely if you really think she is keeping this car to well over 100K miles.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

qbrozen said:

I don't think the normal (iow non-GTI or GLI) Golf or Jetta ever got the turbo 2.0. Just the NA 8 valve 2.slow

They got the 1.8t. Our 2015 Jetta had that engine. Seemed fine to me.

The 1.8T is fine. It’s a modified version of the tried and true 2.0T. The 1.4T is a different beast.
  • sunfire445sunfire445 Member Posts: 4
    kyfdx said:

steine13 said:

The Corolla would have been great -- but she doesn't fit. Like I said, she's 5 nothing... She can't get far enough away from the airbag when she's set up to drive. This is the only car so far that hasn't worked.. others have been a little awkward. Civic, Impreza/CTrek, Golf are all good.

Otherwise the Corolla would have been top of list.

I love the GTI. But, it doesn't have a lot of front ground clearance. And, the stock all-seasons are not very good in the snow, in my experience. That is the one I'd pick as well (I did!), but I have other driving options, or if needed for daily commuting, the resources to do a winter tire set-up.

No love for the Golf?

I didn't realize the Crosstrek and Impreza came with different manual transmission set-ups.
    I use shorten maintenance intervals, completely stock and still had the common thermostat assembly failure at 33k which is not easy work. At 36k a small oil leak in the turbo and got that replaced. Both were $$$ at the dealer. Other usual recalls you can expect from VW for electrical issues. Otherwise it’s been solid. Nearing 58k and have save up for the obligatory carbon cleaning to address the problems with carbon deposits on these engines before I start seeing misfires. They are fun and practical but require additional care and attention to its maintenance beyond the normal daily driver.
    I would not buy a used one unless it’s low low miles and confirmed it’s not been tuned/TD1 or modified. A new base 2020 GTI S at 23k is tempting...

edited February 2021
    @sunfire445
    Do you have the 1.4 or GTI?

>>Both were $$$ at the dealer

At that mileage, why not covered by the warranty?

>> base 2020 GTI S at 23k

Where? I'll take two!
    I don't think my local dealers even have any new stock left on GTIs. I might need to check again, but last I looked (not that recently) it was really low.

One reason I don't mind buying out the Jetta is that right now it have 3.5 years, and 32,000 miles left on the warranty (since it is a 2019) so I can keep it for a while, and still sell with a lot of warranty left on it. Or really run it out to the end, and given how few miles I am likely to put on it, should run out of time before miles (even though the princess was really piling on the miles for a while there).

stickguy said:

qbrozen said:

I don't think the normal (iow non-GTI or GLI) Golf or Jetta ever got the turbo 2.0. Just the NA 8 valve 2.slow

They got the 1.8t. Our 2015 Jetta had that engine. Seemed fine to me.
    Nope, I don’t think so, either. Passat did. But nothing wrong withe being stuck with a GTI. ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    The (Jetta) GLI had the 2.0t, if you consider the GLI a Jetta. I’ve always liked those.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Different model generation of course, buy my wife had a 2007 Jetta with the 2.0T and a manual. Rare beast before the Jetta was dumbed down. That thing even had memory seats.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    It wasn’t a GLI but I bought new a 2000 Jetta GLX VR-6. It was a 5 speed, leather, memory seats, real wood trim including the shift knob, Monsoon stereo with CD changer. It was truly a nice car. The VR-6 had a wonderful sound, was super smooth and powerful.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda said:

It wasn’t a GLI but I bought new a 2000 Jetta GLX VR-6. It was a 5 speed, leather, memory seats, real wood trim including the shift knob, Monsoon stereo with CD changer. It was truly a nice car. The VR-6 had a wonderful sound, was super smooth and powerful.

I had a 1999.5 GLS VR6 with an automatic. The GLS lacked the wood trim, memory seat (no power seats at all), and steering wheel radio controls, but the interior was still really nice. Great driving and looking car. Kept it until it had 92,000 miles and way too many repairs of things that had no reason to break.
    sda said:

I absolutely loved these.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    @steine13,
    I give a GTI a month before a new tire is needed, based on the Michigan roads I'm familiar with(Detroit area).
    The extra ground clearance of a Crosstrek is a plus, too.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789

@steine13,
    I give a GTI a month before a new tire is needed, based on the Michigan roads I'm familiar with(Detroit area).
    The extra ground clearance of a Crosstrek is a plus, too.

New tire, or new wheel?! Probably both.... :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Love me a meaty 15" wheel on these roads....GTI comes standard with 18s. Not lost on me.
    I looked at a Jetta 2.0t back in 2006, before I got my Accord. Was a fun car. There was a specific model name for it. I pretty much consider it to be a GLI, before they gave it that name.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    steine13 said:

Love me a meaty 15" wheel on these roads....GTI comes standard with 18s. Not lost on me.

15" ??? Hahahaha... My '08 Impreza already had 16" wheels standard.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    I love my 2015 Golf SE with the 1.8t engine but it has had a few issues. And it still has that turbo lag that our Audi A3 with the 1.8t also does not have. But even though I've had a few too many issues that VW should've helped with, love driving it. Would I get another one, a 2022 GTI? That's the million dollar question right now. I plan to wait till they come out and try one and then make my decision. My logical side is telling me to go back to "cheap to keep" but the car lover in me is saying "GTI or die"! It will have to have the upgraded audio system and an auto tranny as my only must haves. If it does have a sun/moon roof, all the better because when the weather is nice enough, I do open it up unlike the one in the A3 that my other half refuses to open.
    Second on my short list is the Corolla hatch SE, not sure about the XSE model. But I'd like to have the upgraded audio also with the auto tranny and again not too picky about the hole in the roof. I do like Toyota's, a co-worker just picked up a 2019 Rav4 XLE with 16K for around $21K or there abouts. Great vehicle but don't think it'll make my 174" requirement. If it did, it would be a strong contender also.
    Bottom line, love VW but not sure I'm up for another six or seven years of eventual drama at this stage of my life. A lease might be the better way to go if going down that route.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited February 2021
    steine13 said:

>> No love for the Golf?

No.

I "read on the internet" how the 1.4 TSI is a 100k mile engine. That's neither here nor there.
    Then Steve Lang of 'Hammer Time' fame said the same thing.
    THEN I saw a local ad that did nothing to reassure me:

2016 Sportwagon 6MT, 106k for $6k. I clicked on it, thinking salvage title, scam, whatever... but no:

One owner, all maintenance done at the dealer, clean car.... broken turbo. No help from the dealer or VW, they want $3,500 to replace. Would someone please buy his car and do the work?

Someone did, apparently, because the ad disappeared after a few days. VWs will last a long time, but it can be an expensive ride. I'd have a lot more confidence in the 2.0, it's a proven engine..not without its own quirks and issues (cough, high-pressure fuel pump), but it'll be long-term viable for someone with resources.

I just hate feeling like an idiot for buying a 'superior' product and then paying through the nose to keep it running.

I've had two VWs all my life -- a 1978 Passat [Dasher] in Germany I got as a hand-me-down when I was a student... and a 1988 Fox, originally from Oregon, rust free, for a couple years in the late 90s... simple, solid, pleasant cars both, as was an '87 Audi 4000 that succumbed to rusting fuel lines... my wife still calls that the most solid car we ever owned.. I like VAG products, but man...

Dude, they aren't your Grandpa's VAG products anymore. It's funny when someone in an Audi group asks "what's the most reliable Audi?" The smart behinds or funny people say "B5 S4" while the serious people debate between the 3.0 in recent models, vs. the more recent 4.2 V8's that didn't have the ridiculous timing job.

The 2.0T has its issues but it's pretty darn cheap to keep in my opinion.

Problems at 106K? I guess my standards are low since I owned a Dodge. 100K is marvelous to be problem free for me. Lastly, "all maintenance" done at dealership doesn't make me all that confident given what I've seen and heard from dealership service bays.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sunfire445sunfire445 Member Posts: 4
    steine13 said:

@sunfire445
    Do you have the 1.4 or GTI?

>>Both were $$$ at the dealer

At that mileage, why not covered by the warranty?

>> base 2020 GTI S at 23k

Where? I'll take two!

GTI. Folks over at mk7 forums we able to do 23.9k before ttl for a ‘20 without Vw special rates in CA, don’t know how possible it is now in the current market. Was considering a ‘21 base manual for 27 nearby.

Both issues were under warranty, but still was surprised with the final bills vw paid. Even with Geico MBI coverage as a backup, don’t know how wise it is to keep after 60k.

Still even with these issues I will probably end up upgrading later this year to a left over 7.5 when the mk8’s arrive. That or go for something more reliable long term like a Corolla XSE manual as a daily.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Shoot me if I ever want a Toyota as a daily.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

Shoot me if I ever want a Toyota as a daily.

I think, for you, it would need to be a Supra. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

Both issues were under warranty, but still was surprised with the final bills vw paid. Even with Geico MBI coverage as a backup, don’t know how wise it is to keep after 60k.

Still even with these issues I will probably end up upgrading later this year to a left over 7.5 when the mk8’s arrive. That or go for something more reliable long term like a Corolla XSE manual as a daily.

Did you mention the issues? I must have missed that comment.
  • ScreepScreep Member Posts: 15
    Need some help figuring out the value of my 2008 Acura MDX. I live in MD (zip 20850, DC metro). 2nd owner, tech package, about 171k miles, 7/32 tread depth, no known mechanical problems, crunched a deer a while back and repaired the front but no other accidents. Also got a 4" ding near the door jam that's now rusty (debating whether it's worth fixing prior to sale).

Thanks!
    Screep said:

Need some help figuring out the value of my 2008 Acura MDX. I live in MD (zip 20850, DC metro). 2nd owner, tech package, about 171k miles, 7/32 tread depth, no known mechanical problems, crunched a deer a while back and repaired the front but no other accidents. Also got a 4" ding near the door jam that's now rusty (debating whether it's worth fixing prior to sale).

Thanks!

trade-in is going to be $2k-$2500, tops. Private party? Yes, fix the rust if it is just surface rust. A little sandpaper and touchup paint, if it is small enough. If all other maintenance is up-to-date, you might be able to ask $5995 with snow on the ground. Getting $4500 for it would be a solid deal.

There is no "book" value for 13 year old cars with those miles. Good description, though. It depends on your local market but I think q is on the money here...with the rust spot repaired.
    xwesx said:

<

[...]
    Did you mention the issues? I must have missed that comment.

He did (2016 gti auto)

>>At 36k a small oil leak in the turbo and got that replaced. Both were $$$ at the dealer. Other usual recalls you can expect from VW for electrical issues. Otherwise it’s been solid. Nearing 58k and have save up for the obligatory carbon cleaning to address the problems with carbon deposits on these engines before I start seeing misfires. They are fun and practical but require additional care and attention to its maintenance beyond the normal daily driver.
  • jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    I'm pretty sure you will say private sale is only way to go on this one. 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L . 163K miles. Never a real accident but 2 little bumps while setting still that caused little scrapes you could cover with your thumb on rear bumper cover. I know one is on Carfax, probably both. First replaced the cover and second was just painted.

Have replaced several parts in last year. . Power steering pump and hose, rear brakes, battery, and AC compressor this month under warranty from replacement almost two years ago. Tires will need replacement soon. Valve cover gaskets replaced this month to stop old leak. Honda rebuilt the engine under warranty at about 90K and did timing belt and water pump then. Honda reused the valve cover gaskets on the rebuild, hence the old leak that got worse recently.

Leather interior is great, looks practically new. Located in central KY. Black with tan leather.

Would appreciate a reasonable number to put on it.
    just want to say who in their right mind would do all that work to rebuild an engine, and try to reuse a gasket like that?

jwm40517 said:

I'm pretty sure you will say private sale is only way to go on this one. 2009 Honda Odyssey EX-L . 163K miles. Never a real accident but 2 little bumps while setting still that caused little scrapes you could cover with your thumb on rear bumper cover. I know one is on Carfax, probably both. First replaced the cover and second was just painted.

Have replaced several parts in last year. . Power steering pump and hose, rear brakes, battery, and AC compressor this month under warranty from replacement almost two years ago. Tires will need replacement soon. Valve cover gaskets replaced this month to stop old leak. Honda rebuilt the engine under warranty at about 90K and did timing belt and water pump then. Honda reused the valve cover gaskets on the rebuild, hence the old leak that got worse recently.

Leather interior is great, looks practically new. Located in central KY. Black with tan leather.

Would appreciate a reasonable number to put on it.

$2k trade, if that. If private selling, replace the tires, put a stack if receipts on the passenger seat, and ask 4995 i guess.

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    Thanks qbrozen, sounds good. Regarding the valve cover gaskets, the young man that helps my long time mechanic worked at that Honda dealer a few years ago. He said they typically reused valve cover gaskets on warranty work. He confirmed they were original as the original and replacements are different colors. One is blue and the other is black, can't remember which, but he said mine were original. New ones cost about $60.
    Way different today compared to changing gaskets on a small block Chevy in the 60's. Hours compared to minutes.

I remember during that rebuild at 90K they asked if I wanted a new timing belt and water pump "while they. were in there". I agreed but when they presented the bill it included hundreds in labor cost as if I had brought it in for a timing belt. Even tried to charge for coolant. After a spirited discussion those charges went away. When I picked it up the fenders were covered in greasy hand prints and greasy footprints all over the inside. Service manager seemed embarrassed and offered a full detail. Combined with that experience and the leaking valve covers that cost about $300, Don Jacobs Honda will never see another dime of my money.
    jwm40517 said:

...Don Jacobs Honda will never see another dime of my money.

Their BMW/VW franchises are similarly awful.
  • AtlGhostAtlGhost Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2021
    My teenager has finally earned a car, which means it's time for me to get a new one and pass off mine to him. Since I've had some time to be picky, if the numbers are good on this one and it checks out, I'll be braving airports to go pick it up.

I've found this:

Lexus certified, so unlimited mileage warranty
    2017 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
    Rear Drive (not AWD)
    8 speed auto
    Obisidian (black) over Rioja Red interior
    This one is as loaded as any I've ever seen, and I've looked at probably a dozen all over the southeast
    In addition to the F Sport package, it also has:
    Dynamic Handling Package (4 wheel steering)
    Limited Slip Diff
    Head Up Display
    Mark Levinson stereo
    power trunk
    Park assist (front and rear parking sensors)
    glass breakage sensors
    heated steering wheel

Edited to add: 40,000 miles.

It is located at a Lexus dealer in San Antonio, Texas, where I luckily have a friend who has agreed to look it over for me.

It looks like they sold/leased it new and kept it on trade, so I don't know if it went through the auctions.

Asking price is $34, 295, which seems decent given the equipment level, but I'm curious what the masters say.

These are rare birds, especially with rear drive and red interior, which is why I'm willing to go to San Antonio from Atlanta to get it.

Listing is here if I missed anything:

https://www.northparklexus.com/inventory/certified-used-2017-lexus-gs-gs-350-f-sport-rwd-4dr-car-jthbz1bl7ha009519/
    I Can’t speak to the price, but that’s a sharp looking car. Love the interior.

AtlGhost said:

My teenager has finally earned a car, which means it's time for me to get a new one and pass off mine to him. Since I've had some time to be picky, if the numbers are good on this one and it checks out, I'll be braving airports to go pick it up.

I've found this:

Lexus certified, so unlimited mileage warranty
    2017 Lexus GS 350 F Sport
    Rear Drive (not AWD)
    8 speed auto
    Obisidian (black) over Rioja Red interior
    This one is as loaded as any I've ever seen, and I've looked at probably a dozen all over the southeast
    In addition to the F Sport package, it also has:
    Dynamic Handling Package (4 wheel steering)
    Limited Slip Diff
    Head Up Display
    Mark Levinson stereo
    power trunk
    Park assist (front and rear parking sensors)
    glass breakage sensors
    heated steering wheel

Edited to add: 40,000 miles.

It is located at a Lexus dealer in San Antonio, Texas, where I luckily have a friend who has agreed to look it over for me.

It looks like they sold/leased it new and kept it on trade, so I don't know if it went through the auctions.

Asking price is $34, 295, which seems decent given the equipment level, but I'm curious what the masters say.

These are rare birds, especially with rear drive and red interior, which is why I'm willing to go to San Antonio from Atlanta to get it.

Listing is here if I missed anything:

https://www.northparklexus.com/inventory/certified-used-2017-lexus-gs-gs-350-f-sport-rwd-4dr-car-jthbz1bl7ha009519/

It is not bad for CPO. About what I'd expect. If you could knock it down to $33.5k, you'd be doing well.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    stickguy said:

I Can’t speak to the price, but that’s a sharp looking car. Love the interior.

Agreed. That’s a nice car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• AtlGhostAtlGhost Member Posts: 6

It is not bad for CPO. About what I'd expect. If you could knock it down to $33.5k, you'd be doing well.

Thank you. It seems to be priced well considering the others out there. I'll see if I can get them down a little more.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The red interior was one of my requirements, so I really like this one.
    That’s key to shopping used cars. When you want something relatively rare, and are particular about equipment and colors, you need to be prepared to maybe pay a little more to grab a unicorn if one pops up.

Not as much of an issue if you want a Camry LE, any color will do!

I'll probably take a closer look this weekend at the M2 I've been talking about on the CCBA board.

Values seems to be a bit all over the place between Carvana, KBB, etc.

What's your take on the value of...

2018 BMW M2 manual
    Mineral Gray
    Exec Package
    22k miles, at a BMW dealer but NOT CPO

It was dirty when I looked at it last week, but it seems to be in very nice condition - PPF on the entire hood and front fenders. Brand new tires installed by the dealer.

They have it listed at $44,918 - one price dealership.

Thanks!

breld said:

I'll probably take a closer look this weekend at the M2 I've been talking about on the CCBA board.

Values seems to be a bit all over the place between Carvana, KBB, etc.

What's your take on the value of...

2018 BMW M2 manual
    Mineral Gray
    Exec Package
    22k miles, at a BMW dealer but NOT CPO

It was dirty when I looked at it last week, but it seems to be in very nice condition - PPF on the entire hood and front fenders. Brand new tires installed by the dealer.

They have it listed at $44,918 - one price dealership.

Thanks!

Not much to go on but another manual with similar miles hit $42k

Thanks Q. So actually sounds like a decent price then.

I was a bit scared off by running the M2 through Carvana, which came back at $37.5k. I mean, it’s a real number, but it seems like most trades would be closer to the KBB value around $40k.

try Vroom too? I would suggest Carmax, but you kinda need to own it first to do that!

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    It may be a car that doesn't fit as a vehicle one of those companies wants to buy/sell.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Good suggestion. So Vroom puts it at $39,728.

Sounds better. Just wanted to get a reasonable feel for the values of the cars to make an informed decision.

breld said:

Good suggestion. So Vroom puts it at $39,728.

Sounds better. Just wanted to get a reasonable feel for the values of the cars to make an informed decision.

well, of course, you have to worry about value a month from now.