Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2021
    fintail said:

What's the first one, a CCP-sponsored Bentayga copycar?

A proper grille :)

bwia said:

Grille of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement."
    Don't quite understand why automakers think they are making a design statement but some of these grilles are garish and offensive while others have a manly masculine look to them, sort of like the charm of an SUV for urbanites pretending to be rugged outdoor types. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/business/new-cars-huge-grilles.html. Here are few samples:

Easy to fall in love with that classic MB grille work and front-end design. My favorite MB classic is the 1968 280 S sedan.

2021 Genesis G90

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,536
    driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

Maybe like how this pays homage to a classic Rolls-Royce

Goofy faux Tudors and 70s Mansard stuff are routinely mocked in the architecture world, I think, along with 21st century travesties.

Wow, that has to be the snobbiest article ever written. Many of those fancy European styles paid homage’ to various old world architectures that existed before America.

I never got the idea of sticking multiple roof peaks on houses to emulate old designs but like that car, somebody, somewhere, will think it looks neat. If it sells they will build it upside down.
    That house has peaks on top of peaks and peaks where you don't need peaks;

Why have peaks at all;

I’d rather have too many peaks than a Frank Loyd Wright house which while beautiful, tended to be engineering disasters. That house in your picture ‘Falling Water’ needed about $11 million in repairs to stop it falling into the creek.
    The house could have been built better, but Frank wouldn't listen to the engineers. He was a stubborn nasty guy, but he sure knew how to design houses and buildings.
    With leaking roofs.

Nobody ever accused him of the adage of “form follows function ” for roof designs. If he was a car designer back in the ‘40s he’d have been ahead of his time and been the first to put a Lexus grill on an Oldsmobile.

jmonroe
    He loved cars and lent them easily. One of his employees crashed his car so when they rebuilt it he added the fancy roof, a new interior, and special red paint.

WOW, again no “form follows function” at least not when it comes to rear visibility. If there was ever a car that needed a rear-view camera that’s the one.

From what I’ve heard you say about liking the boxy look and large windows, I guess that thing is off your list.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    I’ll have to watch that all the way through. I’d love to own one of those someday.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,637
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I... In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.
    As we got older I prefer being near a hospital and ambulances will arrive sooner. We didn't have wi-fi at the time but these days internet service outside our town is non existent.

Odd that people were dropping off tires and chesterfields. Did they think the folks there needed the car tires and the furniture?

They drop off tires because there is a charge of $4 for disposing of tires, and a charge at the dump for old furniture....goes by weight I think.
    There was a guy who would stop and park at the end of the drive and drink a carton of butter milk and throw it out his window when he was done.
    Nice quiet, back to nature country living...... :(
    That’s what shotguns were made for. We don’t get nearly the amount of thrown garbage down here.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342

fintail said:

Goofy faux Tudors and 70s Mansard stuff are routinely mocked in the architecture world, I think, along with 21st century travesties.

Wow, that has to be the snobbiest article ever written. Many of those fancy European styles paid homage’ to various old world architectures that existed before America.

Yikes! That looks like one of those Revel concept car models of what the Stutz Bearcat would have looked like. Funny, since that model Monte Carlo was pretty much over the top to begin with.

I never got the idea of sticking multiple roof peaks on houses to emulate old designs but like that car, somebody, somewhere, will think it looks neat. If it sells they will build it upside down.
    They weren’t Revell kits; they were produced by Renwal.
    Darned if you ain’t right. Funny how the memory plays tricks. I had that model as a kid and couldn’t wait until it came out for real.

Maybe I should buy that tarted up Monte Carlo.
    I still build models during the winter. Mostly cars but I also throw in some aircraft, armor, and a few science fiction kits.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504

I’d rather have too many peaks than a Frank Loyd Wright house which while beautiful, tended to be engineering disasters. That house in your picture ‘Falling Water’ needed about $11 million in repairs to stop it falling into the creek.

I was going to post exactly the same response, but you beat me to it.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    So Frank's concept was "never look back."

Because the original was better?
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    I never liked the half-moon quarter window in the Wright Continental. Reminds me of octagonal/porthole windows in modern day houses which I don't like either. I'm a contrary old cuss that way... ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    abacomike said:

fintail said:

What's the first one, a CCP-sponsored Bentayga copycar?

A proper grille :)

bwia said:

Grille of the Year Awards ? According to Tom Voelk, in a piece for the NY Times, "Carmakers Put Their Biggest Faces Forward. They look as if they could strain spaghetti: Grilles are making a design statement."
    Don't quite understand why automakers think they are making a design statement but some of these grilles are garish and offensive while others have a manly masculine look to them, sort of like the charm of an SUV for urbanites pretending to be rugged outdoor types. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/business/new-cars-huge-grilles.html. Here are few samples:

Easy to fall in love with that classic MB grille work and front-end design. My favorite MB classic is the 1968 280 S sedan.
    And I like the over/under headlights!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

jmonroe1 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

fintail said:

That house has peaks on top of peaks and peaks where you don't need peaks;

Why have peaks at all;

The house could have been built better, but Frank wouldn't listen to the engineers. He was a stubborn nasty guy, but he sure knew how to design houses and buildings.
    With leaking roofs.

Nobody ever accused him of the adage of “form follows function ” for roof designs. If he was a car designer back in the ‘40s he’d have been ahead of his time and been the first to put a Lexus grill on an Oldsmobile.

jmonroe
    He loved cars and lent them easily. One of his employees crashed his car so when they rebuilt it he added the fancy roof, a new interior, and special red paint.

WOW, again no “form follows function” at least not when it comes to rear visibility. If there was ever a car that needed a rear-view camera that’s the one.

From what I’ve heard you say about liking the boxy look and large windows, I guess that thing is off your list.

jmonroe
    I don't really like his car design.......it is the opposite of his minimalist architecture designs.....greatly overdone and having small windows and even no windows makes no sense from a design standpoint. Kind of amazing he could design beautiful homes and buildings.....but his car is kind of ugly!

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

I... In the country we had a quarter mile gravel driveway...had to get plowed by our son...sometimes it took awhile to get done. Also people tend to drop off old tires or sofas by the side of the road.
    As we got older I prefer being near a hospital and ambulances will arrive sooner. We didn't have wi-fi at the time but these days internet service outside our town is non existent.

Odd that people were dropping off tires and chesterfields. Did they think the folks there needed the car tires and the furniture?

They drop off tires because there is a charge of $4 for disposing of tires, and a charge at the dump for old furniture....goes by weight I think.
    There was a guy who would stop and park at the end of the drive and drink a carton of butter milk and throw it out his window when he was done.
    That’s what shotguns were made for. We don’t get nearly the amount of thrown garbage down here.
    My idea was for the government to put up hidden moving cameras, and anyone who dumps their garbage on the road gets a $5000 fine.

omarman said:

So Frank's concept was "never look back."

Because the original was better?

Great contrasting pictures omarman.....I like the original much better than the FLW model. I like the large windows and the squared off look of the original much more. FLW loved cars though and usually drove pretty fancy ones....he should stick to designing buildings though.

ab348 said:

I never liked the half-moon quarter window in the Wright Continental. Reminds me of octagonal/porthole windows in modern day houses which I don't like either. I'm a contrary old cuss that way... ;)

If it makes you feel any better....I agree with you completely.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,382
    So temporary return to coffee makers.

For my birthday recently my family got me a Technivorm Moccamaster (as @roadburner recommended). Set it up this afternoon and made my first pot. Holy moly where has this been my whole life.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Knowing Toyota, the 2010 and 2021 have the same switchgear.

Those old LS are probably a used bargain, the design aged well. S-class from the same era are worlds more easier to live with than older ones too, and probably a similarly good deal for a maintained car.
    stickguy said:

made me think of this video I watched recently. Actually, other than some updated tech stuff, not really that much difference.

The late 60s models (W108/109) are what replaced my car in 1965. They are similar looking - 250S/SE 280S/SE/SEL 300SE/SEL look like this:

Timeless.
    abacomike said:

FLW also liked MBs:

driver100 said:

Great contrasting pictures omarman.....I like the original much better than the FLW model. I like the large windows and the squared off look of the original much more. FLW loved cars though and usually drove pretty fancy ones....he should stick to designing buildings though.

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Technivorm Moccamaster Is available through Fuka Kitchen. I’m not making this up :s .
    carnaught said:

Technivorm Moccamaster Is available through Fuka Kitchen. I’m not making this up :s .

YES YOU ARE!!!🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    edited February 2021
    fintail said:

The late 60s models (W108/109) are what replaced my car in 1965. They are similar looking - 250S/SE 280S/SE/SEL 300SE/SEL look like this:

Timeless.

abacomike said:

Car Wizard just did a video going over a 1970 280SEL W108 4 door. With about 340,000 miles on it. Still a nice looking car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

ab348 said:

Yeah, we’ve noticed. And we can tell you other ways as well. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    driver100 said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

My idea was for the government to put up hidden moving cameras, and anyone who dumps their garbage on the road gets a $5000 fine.
    It’s better to get rid of low life’s like that once and for all. But even if you miss they’d probably never try it again.

jmonroe
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    congratulations, grandpa to be! Hope that doesn't make you feel old (though you are younger than me...)

My kids seem to be in no hurry to grace us with grandkids. But still time.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    stickguy said:

congratulations, grandpa to be! Hope that doesn't make you feel old (though you are younger than me...)

My kids seem to be in no hurry to grace us with grandkids. But still time.

Yeah, I think I’m a year or two younger.

Makes me think about my dad, and his dad before him.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

I saw that one, one of those labor of love cars (as are almost all old MB sedans). Wizard seemed to think highly of it, too.
    stickguy said:

Car Wizard just did a video going over a 1970 280SEL W108 4 door. With about 340,000 miles on it. Still a nice looking car.

fintail said:

FLW also liked MBs:

driver100 said:

Flat roofs, a car with no rear window and now this. Man, nobody could say that guy didn’t have his faults. B)

jmonroe
    @Michaell, big congrats you’re in for a real treat. Was looking for something today and came across a photo of Mrs. j , both sons and daughters in law along with all 5 grandkids taken in 2011 while we were on vacation in Myrtle Beach. There was a very funny memorable event from that vacation. Made me laugh just thinking about it. Yep, you’ll like it.

Good luck to the family.

jmonroe
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    They say that sometimes people see what they want to see in images. Maybe depends on the angle but Grandbaby almost seems to be reaching for steering wheel and pedals. :) Congrats!
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 869
    Congrats @Michaell! Are they in town or is there a lot of traveling in your future?
    dad23 said:

Congrats @Michaell! Are they in town or is there a lot of traveling in your future?

Son and DIL are in California. So, some traveling will be in my future.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

omarman said:

They say that sometimes people see what they want to see in images. Maybe depends on the angle but Grandbaby almost seems to be reaching for steering wheel and pedals. :) Congrats!

I took another look at it, and darn if you aren’t right.

I know everyone is rooting for a boy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,896
    Congrats @Michaell !!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Michaell said:

dad23 said:

Son and DIL are in California. So, some traveling will be in my future.
    Congrats Michaell, and California is a nice place to visit them....it could be worse :)

@fintail"FLW also liked MBs:

A gull wing.....that would be nice, looks like a pain getting in and out of it though. He liked cars....owned 80 of them in his lifetime.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Michaell said:

About as far from appliances as you can get. My son and his wife are expecting their first child in September!

And the circle of life continues...

Congrats, your Grandpa Union card will be coming in the mail.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    Michaell said:

About as far from appliances as you can get. My son and his wife are expecting their first child in September!

Congratulations!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited March 2021
    Congratulations, Michaell.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

I avoid grapefruit juice because it tastes terrible.
    Sounds like you ruined your bourbon with it once. :'(

jmonroe
    Bourbon.....over ice...no mixers. End of story!
    Depends on my mood. I certainly enjoy that, but like to switch it up. Sometimes just making that bourbon into an Old Fashioned is all that it needed.
    I can do a good “OLD FASHIONED”!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    For those of you who are fans of JEEPS and DIESELS....

https://youtu.be/TyyR3BWJWX8
    Michaell said:

How exciting! You are in for a treat, Michael. When my first grandson was born in the Phoenix area, I was on a plane. Holding him with his deep dimples on each cheek and his blond hair made me feel like I was in heaven. May your grandchild come into this world healthy and all fingers and toes in their right places - 10 of each! 🤪😜🤓

2021 Genesis G90

I like her reviews. Just the right amount of levity.

Doesn’t hurt that she’s easy on the eyes...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Congrats, @Michaell !!

tjc78 said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

@tjc78 Interesting note: If you take a statin for cholesterol, you are supposed to avoid grapefruit juice. 😥

That looks great.

I avoid grapefruit juice because it tastes terrible.
    Sounds like you ruined your bourbon with it once. :'(

jmonroe
    Bourbon.....over ice...no mixers. End of story!
    Depends on my mood. I certainly enjoy that, but like to switch it up. Sometimes just making that bourbon into an Old Fashioned is all that it needed.
    I can do a good “OLD FASHIONED”!
    What can happen to an Old Fashioned?

https://youtu.be/hJ91FymytWY

Michaell said:

omarman said:

I took another look at it, and darn if you aren’t right.

I know everyone is rooting for a boy.
    Probably but what we really need is a female version of @roadburner in here for some competition.

jmonroe
    Michaell said:

I like her reviews. Just the right amount of levity.

Doesn’t hurt that she’s easy on the eyes...
    AMEN!!!!!
    @Michaell ....YAY! Huge congrats to the family!
  • coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    congrats on both

consider acetaminophen round the clock for ~24-36 hours for second booster, with lots of hydration

Saturday, it was quite nice in the GG ‘cul-de-sac.....sunny....60º-ish. As such, lots of neighbors (including me) cleaning out our yards and to get a bit of fresh air after what has been the craziest winter I’ve ever seen.

Started chatting with one of the neighbors, who knew I had been doing transports, but didn’t know I had a few set backs because of my eye surgeries. Long story short, she wanted to know what I’d charge to transport her 71 year old Father from her house (4 doors down from me) to his appointment to get a COVID shot. She and her husband work for P&G and have an all hands meeting that requires mandatory attendance (which is always ominous).

I told her I’d be happy to and would never think of charging for doing so. Appointment was at the Hospital 10 minutes from us this a.m.

Gentleman was a joy to spend some time with. He gave up driving because of his own sight issues and moved in with his Daughter (my neighbor) after his wife passed away 10 months ago). Smart, articulate, and witty. Plus, we had a lot to chat about regardling our shared ocular woes. Enjoyed our conversation and told him I’d love to spend more time chatting with him once the weather becomes more conducive to being outdoors.

Once we arrived at the medical facility, I expected he would go in and I’d wait outside given COVID restrictions. There was a separate entrance for those there for the vaccine, and as I pulled into the parking lot, I was given instructions where to park and the entrance to use. Expecting to wait, I asked how long it was taking for the vaccine to be administered.

Person at the entranced said for both of us, probably about 20-30 minutes including wait time required after getting the vaccine (15 minutes). I mentioned it would only be for one person as I don’t qualify yet.

I was informed that if I was providing a ride to someone who qualified for the vaccine, I could get it also if I wanted.

Well...sure thing. Pleasant surprise of the day....especially given all I’ve heard is it’s next to impossible to get the COVID vaccine in SW OH.

Easy-Peezy. Just got back. Arm is a little sore, but no worse from the wear. And, I made a new friend with my neighbor’s Father. We’re both scheduled to go back for the 2nd shot in a few weeks at the same time.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    @tifighter,
    Not sure if you have seen any of this guy's videos. A lot of them are Tesla related.
    He is from Norway, but oriental and speaks English with some German thrown in on occasion.
    This one is about roof top cargo boxes. He is not as animated as usual, but a very interesting test.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0P6i1YsgII
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert