Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    How about a 4 door hardtop mini?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    I'm investigating it - though they aren't leasing particularly well. We are making a big investment in a much needed landscaping/hardscape project in front of our home, so I'd prefer not to outlay more cash to purchase right now (especially after all the $$$ that went into the Touring).
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited April 2021
    I said it with the Supra sale, but I'll say it again, how can Carvana be providing such high buy bids?

Their offer on the Leaf is $4,100 higher than Vroom. And they were pretty much in line with Vroom a few months ago.

I completed all the paperwork on my end to hand them the Leaf so we'll see - I read that they didn't accept Nissan leases, but that may have changed more recently, as Vroom and Carmax apparently do. Guess I'll find out.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

I've always found those to be awkward at certain angles - like too many lines going on in too small of a space.

I much prefer the Clubman or Countryman for the extra doors.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I chatted with a neighbor this AM. he just got a new 4 door, to replace an early generation 2 door. I think it looked better than the bulkier one (countryman? The one with the hatch)

• Options
    A couple more links from the son today. He seems to be browsing carmax now. First was a 2018 bmw 550. Dark blue over brown. Doubt he’d really buy the model, but he loved the color combo. 2nd was a medium gray over saddle Jag F type coupe. That was pretty. He was trying to convince himself that other than no back west, it really wasn’t that impractical! Not the car I’d pick when I was planning to do a lot of projects on my new house. But it was pretty.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    breld said:

stickguy said:

I've always found those to be awkward at certain angles - like too many lines going on in too small of a space.

I much prefer the Clubman or Countryman for the extra doors.
    +1

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguy said:

I chatted with a neighbor this AM. he just got a new 4 door, to replace an early generation 2 door. I think it looked better than the bulkier one (countryman? The one with the hatch)

The Countryman is the "SUV" like one.

The Clubman has the clamshell doors in the back. I had one as a loaner the last time the Countryman was at the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    I hate those clamshell doors. When we shopped minis, we went in to look at a countryman. But after trying both, liked the hardtop better.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I hate those clamshell doors. When we shopped minis, we went in to look at a countryman. But after trying both, liked the hardtop better.

I actually didn't find it too distracting when I drove it.

But, to each his own.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    stickguy said:

I don't care how much a fill up costs. Just how often how to do them, and the total amount I have to spend per month!

True! And, that's one thing I do love about my Q7! ~500 miles per tank, only need to fill once every two weeks during normal commute driving.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options

In other news, my wife is asking (not demanding) that I send the touring back to my dad when practical for both of us in favor of something a little newer that she can drive.

Not a Camaro. She said it’d be fun but not practical.

The problem? I can’t think of a single vehicle at a reasonable price point that really excites me.

Why can't she drive your ZHP? That's a practical fun car for the whole family! :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    She doesn't drive stick and has no interest in learning.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

She doesn't drive stick and has no interest in learning.

Oh, ouch. And yet she's still a keeper? That's love, there!
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @driver100,
    Better get Mike Holmes, at least he does a good job.
    12-14 years out of a roof is a short lifespan unless there is a venting problem.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

In other news, my wife is asking (not demanding) that I send the touring back to my dad when practical for both of us in favor of something a little newer that she can drive.

The problem? I can’t think of a single vehicle at a reasonable price point that really excites me.

I agree. GTI, GLI, A3 kinda come to mind if thats considered reasonable. I think any 3 series is out due to price. If she nixed a Camaro, I assume that would kill the Mustang too.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    Had the truck in for its 15K service and it needs tires. OEM is around $800 installed, Cooper is $665 installed after a $70 rebate. The Cooper tires will be fine for 4 more months.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    That’s really short lifespan. I would be really ticked if I had to put tires on at lease end in that few miles.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    pensfan83 said:

Had the truck in for its 15K service and it needs tires. OEM is around $800 installed, Cooper is $665 installed after a $70 rebate. The Cooper tires will be fine for 4 more months.

Only 15k on OEM tires? I thought truck tires went the distance. ouch.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    au1994 said:

I agree. GTI, GLI, A3 kinda come to mind if thats considered reasonable. I think any 3 series is out due to price. If she nixed a Camaro, I assume that would kill the Mustang too.
    I can think of something interesting in just about any glass of vehicle. The real trouble is narrowing it down to one class. Need to figure out if there any any must have (feature or functionality) deal breaker to at least start whittling the choices down! When you don’t technically even need a back seat, it’s a wide range.

I do tend to focus on upcoming models though. So GTI, Maverick and Santa Cruz are high on the list. Next Civic depending on models. All assuming I want new. That’s all just off top of my head.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    pensfan83 said:

Mine are still original at almost 35K miles. What happened?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Also, are the tires low on tread? Or somehow otherwise “bad” (worn funny). I think they just fo a cursory depth check. So if they pass lease turn in, ride em out!

Otherwise, I’d hit up some cheap used tires place to see if they can do it for a lot less.

• Options
    I wish I knew, I'm baffled. The truck isn't flogged, the wear is even to my eye, and I admittedly didn't even notice they were worn because who would think that would even happen? I've towed some heavy loads but generally not more than a few hundred miles and only a handful of times. But they are at 3/32 all around.

@nyccarguy the OR has different tires but still. We're replacing them now and getting our money's worth.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    edited April 2021
    pensfan83 said:

I got the stock Toyos at Discount Tire... the price was good, though it escapes me, at the moment. (last May)
    TRD Sport

We were around 33K, and I knew they wouldn't pass... So, extending the lease for six more months made me feel better about it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Honda used to (and might currently) have a clause in the lease that allowed for a specific $$ allowance at turn in to cover dings, tires, etc. Perhaps that applies here?

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    sda said:

Honda used to (and might currently) have a clause in the lease that allowed for a specific $$ allowance at turn in to cover dings, tires, etc. Perhaps that applies here?

At 15k, I don't think he will make it to lease end before they're completely bald. Hopefully, the replacements will have better longevity and he won't have to replace them again before the lease is over.
  • Options
    @pensfan83 - this sounds fishy to me--the OE tires on the TRD Off-Road are supposed to be Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. 640 tread wear rating, and they would have a 60k mileage warranty if they weren't OEM tires. Lots of reviews on Tire Rack claiming they got 60k or more.

Assuming you're not doing a lot of burnouts, I'm not sure how yours are completely shot so soon.
  • Options
    I’ll go with burnouts.

Acura I think gave you $750 credit for turn in costs.

• Options
    Actually, instead of tires, shop it to Carvana. Sell it to them, and it’s their problem!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    stickguy said:

Actually, instead of tires, shop it to Carvana. Sell it to them, and it’s their problem!

Can't remember... but, if he has a US Bank lease, you can't sell it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    I doubt a Taco can do a burnout.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    pensfan83 said:

15,000 miles and it needs tires already?! That hurts.

Carvana / Vroom isn't a bad idea. I don't think they ask you how much tread is on the tires, only how many miles.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

Just got my 1st Pfizer shot.

Good deal.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Can't remember... but, if he has a US Bank lease, you can't sell it.
    One pay with TFS but not interested in selling.
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    nyccarguy said:

Let us know how things are Saturday or Sunday. I'm scheduled for 2nd Moderna next Friday.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    pensfan83 said:

Can’t tell much on pic 1, and pic 3 looks like maybe a little low. But pics 2 and 4 show plenty of life.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    @qbrozen I was thinking they looked a little more worn in the center, but hard to tell from pics... I have a Fowler X-Tread digital depth gauge, and I measure all four grooves when I check the tires.
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

Personally, I’d put at least 2k more on those unless they were getting slippery in the rain.

• Options
    stickguy said:

au1994 said:

I can think of something interesting in just about any glass of vehicle. The real trouble is narrowing it down to one class. Need to figure out if there any any must have (feature or functionality) deal breaker to at least start whittling the choices down! When you don’t technically even need a back seat, it’s a wide range.

I do tend to focus on upcoming models though. So GTI, Maverick and Santa Cruz are high on the list. Next Civic depending on models. All assuming I want new. That’s all just off top of my head.
    If its anything goes, IE more than sedans, then yes my shopping list is wide as the Sargasso Sea...Pilot, Ridgeline, Gladiator, Maverick, Santa Cruz, Wrangler, Tacoma, TLX, GTI all have my interest in my various schemes. And those are just for me. When I add the choices for my wife to complement those, the list easily doubles.

Surely therapy is cheaper...

• Options
    au1994 said:

stickguy said:

au1994 said:

If its anything goes, IE more than sedans, then yes my shopping list is wide as the Sargasso Sea...Pilot, Ridgeline, Gladiator, Maverick, Santa Cruz, Wrangler, Tacoma, TLX, GTI all have my interest in my various schemes. And those are just for me. When I add the choices for my wife to complement those, the list easily doubles.

Surely therapy is cheaper...
    I doubt it. It is more fun to drive therapy than drone on to a therapist.

• Options
    I hope that the country moves enough back to normal by the fall that I can start going out and doing some looking, and actual test driving. I really miss doing that.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

Nice lookin S4 Prestige at a local Ford dealer.

The ad says 13,505 miles, but the odo shows 24,929. Just an honest oversight, I'm sure. But, it also looks like they reported the 13,505 to CarFax and now it shows a mileage inconsistency on the report. And, the previous owner or lessee apparently didn't take it to a dealer for service, but did take it to Valvoline to get the oil changed once. #facepalm

That's a damn shame as I don't believe any of Valvoline's oils meet any of VW's/Audi's specs. Could be a good grocery getter though.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729

nyccarguy said:

Nice lookin S4 Prestige at a local Ford dealer.

https://www.stamfordford.com/used/Audi/2018-Audi-S4-433e8fe20a0e0a171251749a770679b2.htm

Price seems kinda high for a car that looks like it had the warranty clock punched in 2017.

Had this conversation with my son the other day. Given I’ve owned both an S4 with the V6 turbo, and the Stinger with the V6 turbo, they essentially drive the same. They really do. Understandable given the engineering and management.

Even some of the switchgear in the interior is similar. The suspension feels very similar between the two, also.

The big difference, even though the Stinger is using essentially the same tech and very similar engineering, the S4 is WAY MORE expensive to maintain. That said, it will also hold its resale value WAY MORE than the Stinger, too.
    Unless you owned an 18+ S4, you had a Supercharged V6 S4, or a naturally aspirated V8 going back further. Turbo 6 would be going way way way back.....

Maintenance? Just oil changes, brakes, and tires. Oh yes, the DSG service every 35-45,000 miles. It's not that expensive. I still get my synthetic Audi spec oil changes for about $100 (no coupon). How much is a Stinger oil change?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    ronsteve said:

nyccarguy said:

Let us know how things are Saturday or Sunday. I'm scheduled for 2nd Moderna next Friday.
    Yeah, I'm up for #2 tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Can’t tell much on pic 1, and pic 3 looks like maybe a little low. But pics 2 and 4 show plenty of life.

Looks like they are wearing a little faster in the middle than they should; what is the inflation level? Maybe drop them back some and let them go for another 5K.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Michaell said:

stickguy said:

I actually didn't find it too distracting when I drove it.

But, to each his own.
    It doesn't bother me either. FWIW, I replaced the thermostat on my Clubman(it was throwing a code) and it's now returning 38-40 mpg on my daily commute.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive