Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    ^^^^ above post by @driver100:

During ordinary times, you could just rent a car. And come to think of it, why didn't your insurance company provide you with a rental car after your car was wrecked?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    @snakeweasel It looks like there is a limit for nesting quotes. So if a post gets quoted then that post gets quoted and so on soon you get to a point where the shading of what's being quoted disappears.

Thanks for the explanation................first the highlighting disappeared now the quote button has gone. Must be cutting down on expenses. In case I lose you all it's been fun while it lasted!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

@ snakeweasel Sorry, you seemed to have mistaken me for someone who cares what some annoying youtuber thinks.

He only has about 3.8 million more fans than you do! And is worth over $10 million! What is your net worth?

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    saw this one too-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Glad I put $20 in yesterday. Didn’t realize I should have filled up. But with no trips planned, I probably don’t need gas again for 2 weeks, since I’m at about 3/4 tank! Might need a gallon in the mower gas can though early next week.

We do have a nice car to travel with, but using a gas hog (relatively) for the bulk miles seems to defeat the purpose of buying an EV. It would though be fine for me as a 2nd car. Not sure 200 max to empty is comfortable enough. 300 sounds much better. 500 with quick recharge time, that is an easy decision!

5 hour trip, might stop once but just to grab a bite or stretch legs and bio break. But that’s more like 5 minutes. Wasting an hour realistically at normal charging stations sounds unappealing. Especially when we are traveling later at night, as we often do, I have no desire to spend that much time parked outside a Walmart or in some empty parking lot!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

tifighter said:

300 miles is driving around 5 hours non-stop. You aren't stopping once in 5 hours?

He said a fill up takes it to 80%, that is 240 miles, and that is probably optimum, so it is probably more like 200 miles. And the Audi goes 222 miles max.

But you aren't taking an hour to charge. If you have the range to begin with, you may not be charging at all. If you do, you might only supercharge for 10 minutes to add some additional range. And if you did charge from 0 to 80 or 90% even though you don't need to, it would be about 45 minutes.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    driver100 said:

@ snakeweasel Sorry, you seemed to have mistaken me for someone who cares what some annoying youtuber thinks.

He only has about 3.8 million more fans than you do! And is worth over $10 million! What is your net worth?
    Fans and net worth doesn’t make him not annoying.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

So I have a second car but have to rent a car to go on a 300 mile trip. The insurance company did allow me to rent a car but it took a few days for them to put that in place.......and it was only for a few days. We were scheduled to go 2 days after the accident and it took them 3 or 4 days before they found a car for me. They are supposed to give you a similar car.....which technically I could do, but I would go through the $300 or $400 allowance faster if I rented an MB and not an Escape.

Besides, it can be other things like a repair or something that ties up the main car.

I have no real world experience with charging stations for electric cars. But if it's anything like the rest of the world that we all deal with every day, it's unlikely you will be able to drive up and connect immediately.

And even if that were true today, how about tomorrow, as EVs become more popular? Will the infrastructure keep up with the demand?
    tifighter said:

But you aren't taking an hour to charge. If you have the range to begin with, you may not be charging at all. If you do, you might only supercharge for 10 minutes to add some additional range. And if you did charge from 0 to 80 or 90% even though you don't need to, it would be about 45 minutes.

......another thing I would have to think about and plan around. If I run low on gas I find a gas station and continue on my way. That's just me....I like to simplify my life. EVs are great for some people, I don't think I am ready for one......also what if I come home and it is low on power and I get sidetracked and I forget to plug it in? What if I get stuck in a traffic jam that takes a few hours and I run out of juice....how do you get an EV running again....call The Battery Guy?

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

Annoying.....yes! But his opinion is probably worth at least considering, he didn't get where he is by being a complete moron.

edited May 2021
    driver100 said:

tifighter said:

300 miles is driving around 5 hours non-stop. You aren't stopping once in 5 hours?

He said a fill up takes it to 80%, that is 240 miles, and that is probably optimum, so it is probably more like 200 miles. And the Audi goes 222 miles max.
    But that doesn't answer the question. Unless one likes increasing their odds of getting a DVT, they're going to stop at least once during a 5 hour drive. You don't have to charge it to full, you can just add some charge during the 10 minute stop you use to stretch, use the bathroom, etc. On a 250kW charger, 10 minutes could be over 100 miles of range added (I'm being conservative on purpose, on a Model 3 it could be well over 100 miles).

henryn said:

I have no real world experience with charging stations for electric cars. But if it's anything like the rest of the world that we all deal with every day, it's unlikely you will be able to drive up and connect immediately.

And even if that were true today, how about tomorrow, as EVs become more popular? Will the infrastructure keep up with the demand?

I admit that I do not live in LA, where I hear that can be a wait for some charger locations. So it's a fair point. I have never, in nearing 3 years, had to wait for a supercharger spot. They just crossed the 25,000 number on supercharger spots last week, so they are definitely ramping up.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@snakeweasel said:
    Sorry, you seemed to have mistaken me for someone who cares what some annoying youtuber thinks.

As I have said, every time I see that wingnut I’m reminded that somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited May 2021
    driver100 said:

Fans and net worth doesn’t make him not annoying. Annoying.....yes! But his opinion is probably worth at least considering, he didn't get where he is by being a complete moron.

I can cite a few people who have been "successful" and are complete morons.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    henryn said:

Yes, that's part of the $2.7 trillion infrastructure spending package. In addition, some auto manufacturers will build their own charging networks (e.g. Volkswagen and Tesla). By the way, in the Boston area I noticed that they are building new condominiums with indoor parking for electric vehicles. Basically, you roll out of bed and into your car. Some of us here are late adopters but we will soon fall in line as EVs get cheaper and more versatile.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

Oh silly me, anyone who has 3.8 million fans and a net worth in the millions is always right and is never annoying.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

Annoying.....yes! But his opinion is probably worth at least considering, he didn't get where he is by being a complete moron.
    Have you ever heard of the Kardashians?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

driver100 said:

......another thing I would have to think about and plan around. If I run low on gas I find a gas station and continue on my way.

Except right now in some parts of the country that is NOT true.

The only thing I ever watched with a Kardashian was a particular video, but I probably shouldn't mention that here... B)

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    edited May 2021

@driver100 said:
    Scotty picks the top 5 reliable cars for 2018....4 are Toyotas....one Miata;
    Here he goes down the list of Asian brands, least reliable to most reliable from #8. Hyundai is #4 and Toyota is #1.
    In the 2nd video Scotty explains why he chooses each brand and I sense that his reasoning is pretty good....whether you like him or not.
    Also, in the case of your Hyundai and your friends Toyota....a comparison of two cars is almost meaningless. Maybe his was a flood car....oh, I know, he bought it new.....OK - I have never heard of a Toyota lemon car in recent history. I am sure they are out there, but they must be rare. I have heard lots of incredible Toyota stories about how people love their Toys.

Sorry, but I am committed to flagging any post linking a Scotty video, as I have previously explained. Granted, it has been a while, but the rule stands.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

@driver100 said:

You obviously have no clue how youtube works.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    tifighter said:

saw this one too-

Gas up here has jumped 5 cents a gallon since this morning.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

@snakeweasel said:

Sorry, you seemed to have mistaken me for someone who cares what some annoying youtuber thinks.

As I have said, every time I see that wingnut I’m reminded that somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

Didn’t he move up near you?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

henryn said:

driver100 said:

......another thing I would have to think about and plan around. If I run low on gas I find a gas station and continue on my way.

Except right now in some parts of the country that is NOT true.

The electric grid can be hacked too.

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    :'(:s:(:o Well, it would seem that the "saga" of the Genesis G90 will continue another day or two. As you know, when they installed the new radio system, it fixed the communications problem but created another problem - the rear cameras and the 360 degree overhead image is not working. The last update I got from the dealership's service manager was that the engineers in California have made contact with the radio's manufacturer in order the acquire certain "variant codes" to enable the cameras in the rear. This has been a truly unbelievable experience - Genesis Corporate has been right on this from the beginning and was instrumental in getting the dealership to take the car in and fix it - or at least try to fix it. It's the dealership's service department that is awful.

As soon as the technical engineers in California get those codes, they will get them to the dealership so they can enable the cameras. Before I take that car home, I am going to sit in it and check out every system in that car to make sure everything works. I mean wipers, washers, lights, cameras, sunroof, memory seats, ventilated and heated seats, radio sound and quality, Bluetooth, etc., etc., etc. I wouldn't trust this dealership's service department to put a lug nut on one of my wheels.

We shall see. I was supposed to get a call from Genesis Corporate this afternoon, but have not received a call yet. Should be interesting to see what he has to say about this debacle and fiasco. :@ :o:(:s:'(

2021 Genesis G90

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

The 2021 I-Pace. The future of long distance EV driving. The new 2nd generation Jaguar I-Pace. Expensive yes, but that's what a proper EV should look like enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/3-3WoyZiOTY

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    abacomike said:

Just heard from Genesis service manager that they received the “variant codes” from the Genesis field engineers and loaded them into the radio. Cameras are all working now. They want to keep the car locked up until tomorrow so they can test all systems for nominal functioning before returning the car to me.

So, assuming they fixed everything, I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow. I also got a call from Genesis Corporate informing me that they think they have all the issues solved. That would be nice.

Imagine owning a car like that in 6 or 7 years time and having those problems develop then.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936

Imagine owning a car like that in 6 or 7 years time and having those problems develop then.
    I think that is a possibility for any newer vehicle that relies on extensive electronics. Remember when a power window or a/c wouldn't work? In retrospect that was a huge problem, lol.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    good luck

i am impressed by the communication you are receiving from Genesis!! that speaks well for there plans

stay healthy
    abacomike said:

Just heard from Genesis service manager that they received the “variant codes” from the Genesis field engineers and loaded them into the radio. Cameras are all working now. They want to keep the car locked up until tomorrow so they can test all systems for nominal functioning before returning the car to me.

So, assuming they fixed everything, I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow. I also got a call from Genesis Corporate informing me that they think they have all the issues solved. That would be nice.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Bought gas in FL, today. No lines. $2.85/gal for RUG

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,145
    kyfdx said:

What did you end up getting as your rental?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

What did you end up getting as your rental?
    Nissan Rogue SV FWD. 4K miles. It's pretty nice

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

sda said:

I think that is a possibility for any newer vehicle that relies on extensive electronics. Remember when a power window or a/c wouldn't work? In retrospect that was a huge problem, lol.

Ahhh, bad memories. How many times have I scraped up my hands and arms working inside a door to replace the motor or the plastic drive for a power window. More times than I care to think about.

I think, basically, on an older car, 6 years or more, if the backup camera goes out, or the bluetooth quits working, or similar, then the owner will most likely just live without that feature rather than pay a fortune to try and get it working.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    edited May 2021
    Drove to Ohio on Friday and back yesterday.
    On the way out didn't fill up until we got to MM 226 in Ohio(479 miles in 7 hours).
    My wife did a 270 mile stint in less than 4 hours with no stops.
    Gas prices in CT, PA and OH are pretty close now, a 10 to 20 cent spread for RUG.
    On the way back, my daughter took a turn a driving.

270+ miles took 4 1/2 hours.
    I managed to pretty much hold my tongue because my wife and I are usually in 'go mode' on these trips.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    tifighter said:

driver100 said:

tifighter said:

But that doesn't answer the question. Unless one likes increasing their odds of getting a DVT, they're going to stop at least once during a 5 hour drive. You don't have to charge it to full, you can just add some charge during the 10 minute stop you use to stretch, use the bathroom, etc. On a 250kW charger, 10 minutes could be over 100 miles of range added (I'm being conservative on purpose, on a Model 3 it could be well over 100 miles).
    Driving from Toronto to Florida is 1500 miles....about 23 hours of driving however you want to divide it up.
    Maximum might be 300 miles on a charge, but I hear a/c, headlights, etc all drain the charge, and I can't leave it to the end because I have to get to a station, which could be miles on I-75. I think someone said I can get an 80% charge in 20 minutes....80% gives me 240 miles maximum probably closer to 200 miles counting drain and time to get to the charging station. In my car I usually go for 3 to 4 hours before stopping. A gas fillup probably takes 5 minutes.

A friend of a friend has a Tesla. He found out at the last minute he had to get to a funeral that was 120 miles away. No time to charge up, so he took a chance and tried to drive it. He ran out of power at the 75% mark.....he missed the funeral. Just an example.

driver100 said:

Michaell said:

driver100 said:

I have heard about them but don't know that much about them. In doing some research they seem to be fairly intelligent...if not from learning in institutions just having general smarts. Einstein didn't do well in school...his mind was off wondering about other things like splitting molecules. Smart can take various forms...but being able to have a following and make large amounts of money usually takes some smarts.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    A friend of my who lives up the street, and likes to keep his vehicles very clean, gave me this.
    He raved about it. I'll try it tomorrow.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert

The complexities of today’s vehicles in terms of computerized safety features, memory systems, communication systems, to name a few, are mind boggling when it comes to maintaining them and repairing them.

Just think about the radio header they replaced - part costs $5300+ not including labor and the cost of a loaner car. When the final warranty bill is tallied, the cost has to be nearly $8000. They’ve had a technician working on the old radio for 4 days. Then another 3 days to replace the radio and then test all systems. And then there was the time field engineers spent with coding the radio.

That’s why I would never keep a car past its warranty considering all the operational microprocessors in use. Here’s an example of the electronics employed:

The 360 degree above-car image that can be displayed for parking assist utilizes 8 cameras around the car. The cameras feed input into a series of microprocessors that assembles a graphic image of the exterior of the car on all sides as well as adjacent traffic. That is mesmerizing to me. Another would be cross-traffic and pedestrian warnings and braking which uses cameras and radar sensors to provide input to the microprocessors which then activate auto braking depending on the proximity of the cross-traffic vehicle or the approaching pedestrian. Amazing stuff!

2021 Genesis G90

• mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    With new vehicle today the question is should you buy one. After warranty, it appears that the cost to fix items is going to be quite expensive. Each vehicle is made of multiple microprocessors. The more technology in a vehicle the more microprocessors. Thoughts are lease, keep for warranty period, or get extended warranty. In addition will need software updates regularly, will cost big bucks post warranty period.
    driver100 said:

but I hear...

A friend of a friend...

Anecdotes strike again. One can always find edge cases to support one's point of view. I've been hearing people tell me that I can't take trips in an EV for years now. This despite me taking trips in an EV for years. There are always exceptions to cite, but for the most part, they work for most driving needs. And they're not going away.

Another weird sighting posted on Twitter-

tifighter said:

driver100 said:

but I hear...

A friend of a friend...

Anecdotes strike again. One can always find edge cases to support one's point of view. I've been hearing people tell me that I can't take trips in an EV for years now. This despite me taking trips in an EV for years. There are always exceptions to cite, but for the most part, they work for most driving needs. And they're not going away.
    I agree they are here to stay, but I don't think they are where I want them to be for my driving needs. I know the friend of the friend and I know the story is true. I think I would consider one when they get to 500 miles before charging.

@abacomike New technologically loaded cars are like newer flat screen TVs.......the cost to repair is getting more costly than buying new or within the warranty period. That might make trade-in values go down. Maybe they can make cars faster and cheaper and they will become disposable, or reuse the solid parts and plug in electricals that break down.

@driver100 said:
    I agree they are here to stay, but I don't think they are where I want them to be for my driving needs. I know the friend of the friend and I know the story is true. I think I would consider one when they get to 500 miles before charging.

@driver100 - most drivers could easily swap their internal combustion cars for an EV considering the 250-300 mile range of many new EV introductions. I would have purchased a Tesla if I had a source of electricity to charge it - but I don’t because my condo has no access for charging.

2021 Genesis G90

pretty sure the high tech cutting edge models from Mercedes, etc. already found this out, since they cost a fortune new and out of warranty can quickly end up on BHPH lots because they have to sell so cheap.

one positive to hybrids, you can replace battery packs pretty easily (not always cheaply, but easily) and a lot of the rest is software which is much easier to update. So in theory a current Tesla can be upgraded to a newer model's level, same way you can swap in some new components into a PC and run newer software.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited May 2021
    Exactly. Once I can charge at home, can get ~400 real world miles of range (that being 75-80 with AC and radio on) for road trips, and maybe just maybe find something with less edgy/flamboyant (to the normcore) styling, I could be there. However, just not there yet,
    abacomike said:

@driver100 - most drivers could easily swap their internal combustion cars for an EV considering the 250-300 mile range of many new EV introductions. I would have purchased a Tesla if I had a source of electricity to charge it - but I don’t because my condo has no access for charging.