Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Anyone here want to comment on our current SUV shopping, any experience or opinions?

Audi Q5
    BMW X3
    Mercedes GLC300

She likes driving the A7e, thinks it's quite luxurious. So, I came up with the evil plan of making it her car, then using the CX-5 as trade for the MB SL for me. Then, come winter, either share the A7 or I look for the beloved winter beater. A quick "no" on that plan. She wants an SUV; to carry our currently non-existent kayaks...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,608

She wants an SUV; to carry our currently non-existent kayaks...

Kayaks on a roof are way easier with the A7 then a SUV.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    All nice options so buying what feels right is the way to go!

Last year, I liked the X3 the best but wife picked the RDX. I sat in the other 2 and liked them, but never test drove them.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tifighter said:

She wants an SUV; to carry our currently non-existent kayaks...

Kayaks on a roof are way easier with the A7 then a SUV.
    Logic is futile...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,480

Anyone here want to comment on our current SUV shopping, any experience or opinions?

Audi Q5
    BMW X3
    Mercedes GLC300

She likes driving the A7e, thinks it's quite luxurious. So, I came up with the evil plan of making it her car, then using the CX-5 as trade for the MB SL for me. Then, come winter, either share the A7 or I look for the beloved winter beater. A quick "no" on that plan. She wants an SUV; to carry our currently non-existent kayaks...

Are you looking at the base 2.0T engines in all three?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,685
    edited July 2021
    “ Ranger has the 2.3 I4 single turbo. 2.7 is a V6 twin turbo.”

I think you’re right. It’s the 2.3 that has 270hp? I’m confusing 270 with 2.7

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Michaell said:

Audi Q5
    BMW X3
    Mercedes GLC300

Yes, although she thinks she wants a PHEV. Which I believe rules out the GLC. Which was probably my favorite after the test drives.

She did drive a Q5e (sans me), but it didn't have the sport seats, the Audi seats were the least comfy of the three. But, she said the Q5e drove much better than the 2.0t, more spunk. And, unlike the A7e, a much higher price than the dino engined version.

TBH, she wants a Q5 and is doing all she can to justify it after it dropped to 3rd place after test driving all three. Fashion before function!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,480

Michaell said:

Audi Q5
    BMW X3
    Mercedes GLC300

Yes, although she thinks she wants a PHEV. Which I believe rules out the GLC. Which was probably my favorite after the test drives.

She did drive a Q5e (sans me), but it didn't have the sport seats, the Audi seats were the least comfy of the three. But, she said the Q5e drove much better than the 2.0t, more spunk. And, unlike the A7e, a much higher price than the dino engined version.

TBH, she wants a Q5 and is doing all she can to justify it after it dropped to 3rd place after test driving all three. Fashion before function!
    Hell, we've justified purchases for much less than what's she's stating.

Get the Q5, optioned the way she wants, and don't look back.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited July 2021

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

the base 4 cyl in the Hyundai is fine in the sedans but seems a bit overmatched in any of the SUVs. does not bode well for the Santa Cruz, especially if you actually want to ever carry or tow anything! So budget at least $35K for one of those for the turbo motor.

At which point, folks will think "I can get a 4-door mid-sized truck (XLT Ranger or V6 LT Colorado) for that money."
    Except around here that aren't any Ranger's or Colorado's available. Nor Tacoma's, for that matter. The only mid-sized truck actually on dealer lots is the Nissan Frontier, and no one seems to like those. Which is probably why you can still find one! :)

But I do take your point, the Santa Cruz seems to be a bit overpriced, especially compared to the Maverick.

Maybe it’s just me but I like the Frontier. Ride and power of the V6 is comparable to the Ranger Lariat with the 2.7 turbo I drove recently. Some people don’t like the firm ride.
    The last time I tried to sit in a Frontier, I didn't fit. No headroom, the same problem I had with the Tacoma. I haven't tried sitting in the new Ranger, although the old style Ranger had plenty of headroom. Which doesn't mean much, that 1995 Tacoma that my friend owns has more headroom than the new Tacomas despite being a MUCH smaller vehicle overall.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,991
    I know it is the previous generation, my wife loves her Q5. It has become her favorite car, period.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited July 2021
    stickguy said:

Ah. You specced opt a RWD. they don’t really exist in the NE. That’s another $3,700. Plus $500 trailer tow and $995 tech package if you want laser cruise. Puts you over $41k.

I’d get a nice loaded Maverick 2.0t AWD for $33k before that!

My build did include the trailer tow package. And I don't want the "laser cruise" or "adaptive cruise control" or whatever else it might be called. If they threw it in for free, I would probably never touch it.

And choosing not to live in the frozen northern wastelands, I have no use for 4wd. Just adds weight and decreases performance and gas mileage. I choose to live in the southern heat sink, where we get slowly broiled like the frog in the stew pot. Everyone picks their own poison.
  • Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    edited July 2021
    xwesx said:

henryn said:

Economists expect inflation will cool off in the second half — especially if car prices start to revert to normality.

It shocks me how little inflation that is (3.8%) compared to the price increases of basically EVERYTHING a person can buy right now. I wonder how they end up computing this.

Granted, 3.8% is a huge number compared to the numbers computed over the last many years, but it sure doesn't *feel* like 3.8% on my pocket....
    As a principal in a sign business we have seen our aluminum sheets double from $40 per sheet to $79 in recent months. A recent squirrel hair lettering brush was $48. They were in the $25 to $30 range a year ago. We ordered a 4x8 sheet of Komocel (high density PVC) which is normally $160 and was charged $240. All I can say is that the price of our signs are going up substantially and accordingly.

Every customer I talk to among them auto body owners, electricians , landscapers, etc. are all complaining about the cost of supplies and inability to find workers. As oil prices climb so will the cost of oil based products such as plastics, fertilizer, etc . And of course transportation costs will raise the cost of everything.

Combine that with the trillions flooding the economy resulting in more demand than supply of just about everything, we will probably see rampant inflation. That is unfortunate for people on pensions and social security. Of course businesses will just raise prices to compensate and employees will demand more.
  • Options
    As someone who retired last year, I do worry a bit about inflation. So I tend to pay attention and read a number of articles dealing with that subject. The mainstream economists don't seem to think we're going to see runaway inflation, nothing like what happened in the late 70's.

There definitely are some areas where prices have increased quite a bit. Used cars, lumber, and a few others. But so far the economists mostly seem to think this is a temporary problem which will self-correct as supply and demand level off.

I am a big believer in history, and trying to learn from the lessons of history. Unfortunately, we don't have any previous history to go by in this case. The pandemic and the ongoing aftermath are unprecedented in modern history, so we're all learning "on the fly" so to speak.
  • Options
    I actually prefer RWD too. but it likely takes a big hit at resale time (in this market, and probably worse when I move back to northern NYS).

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    Nyccarguy mentioned AlGo, so I went to their site and ended up getting a quote on my 2019 MKZ.
    I could walk away with about $6500. Kind of tempting.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Nyccarguy mentioned AlGo, so I went to their site and ended up getting a quote on my 2019 MKZ.

You have to ask yourself, "What would I do if I sold it?"

Could you live without the second car for the next 12 to 18 months? Or would you try to replace it with a new car, which would be hard to find and would probably cost you full MSRP?

You've got to have a plan. I got the bid from Carvana for my 2016 T&C, and then did not finalize that deal until I had already signed the papers for purchasing it's replacement.

When I sold the 2018 F150, my intent was to do without a truck until next year. I did eventually buy an older, cheaper replacement, but I could have lived without.

I've never heard of AIGo, is that 2nd letter an "eye" or an "L"?
  • Options
    I think an L. that is the operation that got us a windfall on the Jetta. They sent an Email and I had my daughter do it, getting the way higher than expected number. Which led us to carmax and carvana. the rest is history!

I would "like" a car soon, but realistically can keep managing with just one through year end or beyond. I just hope this nonsense doesn't last much longer than early in Q4. Certainly by Christmas (that is my end of year plan to keep busy!)

• Options
    @henryn,
    I wasn't sure about AlGo(ALGO), so I copied and pasted it for my search to find something car related.
    I sold my 2017 F150 last August and didn't replace it until January of this year(2020 Explorer).
    In Feb 2016, I traded in my 2013 Fusion for my wife's 2016 MKC and got another Fusion in November.
    I can live without a 2nd vehicle for a while, but only for a while, it seems. ;)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,685
    henryn said:

henryn said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

the base 4 cyl in the Hyundai is fine in the sedans but seems a bit overmatched in any of the SUVs. does not bode well for the Santa Cruz, especially if you actually want to ever carry or tow anything! So budget at least $35K for one of those for the turbo motor.

At which point, folks will think "I can get a 4-door mid-sized truck (XLT Ranger or V6 LT Colorado) for that money."
    Except around here that aren't any Ranger's or Colorado's available. Nor Tacoma's, for that matter. The only mid-sized truck actually on dealer lots is the Nissan Frontier, and no one seems to like those. Which is probably why you can still find one! :)

But I do take your point, the Santa Cruz seems to be a bit overpriced, especially compared to the Maverick.

Maybe it’s just me but I like the Frontier. Ride and power of the V6 is comparable to the Ranger Lariat with the 2.7 turbo I drove recently. Some people don’t like the firm ride.
    The last time I tried to sit in a Frontier, I didn't fit. No headroom, the same problem I had with the Tacoma. I haven't tried sitting in the new Ranger, although the old style Ranger had plenty of headroom. Which doesn't mean much, that 1995 Tacoma that my friend owns has more headroom than the new Tacomas despite being a MUCH smaller vehicle overall.

What I’ve noticed in those small trucks is that the high floors make the headroom seem less.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,394

Crazy, isn’t it? And here I thought I was so cool making 1200 or so on the Crosstrek last September.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    @au1994,
    That would be getting my trade in equity and down payment back, so not really making any money.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803
    henryn said:

stickguy said:

Ah. You specced opt a RWD. they don’t really exist in the NE. That’s another $3,700. Plus $500 trailer tow and $995 tech package if you want laser cruise. Puts you over $41k.

My build did include the trailer tow package. And I don't want the "laser cruise" or "adaptive cruise control" or whatever else it might be called. If they threw it in for free, I would probably never touch it.

And choosing not to live in the frozen northern wastelands, I have no use for 4wd. Just adds weight and decreases performance and gas mileage. I choose to live in the southern heat sink, where we get slowly broiled like the frog in the stew pot. Everyone picks their own poison.
    *GASP*

How insulting!!!!!!!!

My northern wasteland isn't frozen all the time. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    stickguy said:

I actually prefer RWD too. but it likely takes a big hit at resale time (in this market, and probably worse when I move back to northern NYS).

Hahaha. I love how you hold onto this dream. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,440

I stumbled upon ALGO over on Leasehackr. I used them as another source to get a fantasy quote on my wife’s Pilot and my truck (before I got rear ended). They seem to be consistently higher than Carvana and Carmax (which wants me to drive to one of their locations to have the car appraised). Vroom seems to offer the most money, but they come to pick your car up, then mail you a check. In my mind they can take your car, nit pick it, and tell you they are going to give you less. Since my cars are driven to the tune of 20K per year, they are usually a 7/10 shape. Dings, scratches, curb rash…. Nothing major, they just are far from perfect.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited July 2021
    @nyccarguy,
    I would say if you are forthright with Vroom, they will give the money quoted.
    It was a bit scary to send them a key and have the shipper pick up your vehicle before getting a check.
    I did get the money the day after the shipper took it. They may have even sent it out the same day.
  • Options
    xwesx said:

stickguy said:

Hahaha. I love how you hold onto this dream. :)
    the boss is ready to be there but has a mental block about actually doing the required work (meaning get rid of a ton of crap that she is attached to) in order to make it happen.

• Options
    My wife told me the other day she wants to move closer to the kids.
    I wanted to do this 2 years ago and had the development and house to be built all picked out.
    We are going to start looking in Ohio at the end of next month, so starting over.
  • Options
    that is why we are going. Most of her family is up there and so is our son. Also a couple hours closer to where our daughter is now (though she tends to move around on a frequent basis!) So the wife really would like to be up by everybody now. It just is going to take a while.

That is why my new plan is to find a new development and get a deposit down. That starts a clock that should have plenty of time. 6-9 months to get ready is a lot more manageable than 3-4 weeks.

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,574
    stickguy said:

We have a load of new Maxima's at Enterprise right now and folks do love 'em it seems. Not something I'd ever want but hey, many folks seem to want them.
    No oil leak as of this morning so canceled the appointment. Figure if it's a true leak, it'll come back in due time and then, we'll address it. Didn't want to waste his time and was very upfront about that. He really is a great mechanic and glad my co-worker gave me his name. We've already used him on both vehicles and know we'll be back...in time.

How are you evaluating that there is no leak happening anymore? By the fact there is nothing on the floor of the garage or by actually getting underneath/on top and taking a look? Many cars have skid covers underneath that will capture leaking oil until it reaches a point of overflowing onto the floor. Just because there is nothing on the floor does not mean the leak has stopped...

All this to say, if you're seeing oil on your floor at all, you should probably get it checked...
    That’s why everybody should have a 2 post lift in the garage!

Good point about all the covers and pans. Can’t see the top, and the underneath pans can collect the drips. So you tend to find problems much later.
    I was thinking about those catch pans myself. If it were me I’d drop a few of those pans or at least check the oil level often. He said he had a good mechanic. A good mechanic should have told him about those catch pans. Maybe he ain’t as good as @Sandy thinks he is.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    xwesx said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

*GASP*

How insulting!!!!!!!!

Hey, I watched Northern Exposure, so I know all about Alaska. 9 months of solid freeze, then 3 months of giant mosquitos eating you alive. B)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    nyccarguy said:

I stumbled upon ALGO over on Leasehackr. I used them as another source to get a fantasy quote on my wife’s Pilot and my truck (before I got rear ended). They seem to be consistently higher than Carvana and Carmax (which wants me to drive to one of their locations to have the car appraised). Vroom seems to offer the most money, but they come to pick your car up, then mail you a check. In my mind they can take your car, nit pick it, and tell you they are going to give you less. Since my cars are driven to the tune of 20K per year, they are usually a 7/10 shape. Dings, scratches, curb rash…. Nothing major, they just are far from perfect.

From all of the collective experiences here in these forums, the online car buyers do not seem to be picky at all. Rather the opposite.

I've never heard of AlGo, but once I got the letter "L" it was easy to find.

https://autolendersgo.com/

Not nationwide, but fairly wide spread:

Carvana was the highest offer on my 2016 T&C, by slightly over $1k. As I had already signed the paperwork for the replacement, I was more than a little nervous something might go wrong, but it didn't. I dropped off the car to them (which saved about 3 days waiting for them to come with a flatbed), and they paid for the Uber ride home. It could not have been easier or smoother.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

I was sitting in traffic on my way home tonight & BAM! A guy in a 2016 CRV Rear Ended me. I’m ok. He’s ok. We exchanged information. I’m going to take it in tomorrow for an estimate.

We were stopped. I always leave room in front of me. I let off the brake pedal to when I saw the guy in front of me start to go. The guy behind me must have let off the brake and hit the gas. I stood on the brake pedal to make sure I didn’t hit the guy in front of me.

Damage to my truck doesn’t look extensive, but it felt a little wobbly driving home.

He should have been the big time loser hitting the rear of your truck but his damage doesn’t look too bad.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

My wife told me the other day she wants to move closer to the kids.
    I wanted to do this 2 years ago and had the development and house to be built all picked out.
    We are going to start looking in Ohio at the end of next month, so starting over.

I've seen a lot of my friends move away after they retire. Most of them only came to this part of the world because of jobs with oil companies, so many of them head back to the old homestead after retirement. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't. Best of luck to all those who are trying.

I myself am going to heed the words of Thomas Wolfe.
  • Options
    @henryn

Which one is that?

I think mine is:

"Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man."
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

We have a load of new Maxima's at Enterprise right now and folks do love 'em it seems. Not something I'd ever want but hey, many folks seem to want them.
    No oil leak as of this morning so canceled the appointment. Figure if it's a true leak, it'll come back in due time and then, we'll address it. Didn't want to waste his time and was very upfront about that. He really is a great mechanic and glad my co-worker gave me his name. We've already used him on both vehicles and know we'll be back...in time.

How are you evaluating that there is no leak happening anymore? By the fact there is nothing on the floor of the garage or by actually getting underneath/on top and taking a look? Many cars have skid covers underneath that will capture leaking oil until it reaches a point of overflowing onto the floor. Just because there is nothing on the floor does not mean the leak has stopped...

All this to say, if you're seeing oil on your floor at all, you should probably get it checked...

Good point about all the covers and pans. Can’t see the top, and the underneath pans can collect the drips. So you tend to find problems much later.
    I was thinking about those catch pans myself. If it were me I’d drop a few of those pans or at least check the oil level often. He said he had a good mechanic. A good mechanic should have told him about those catch pans. Maybe he ain’t as good as @Sandy thinks he is.

jmonroe
    It's not clear that Sandy has actually discussed this with his mechanic, so I wouldn't judge. And with his back problems, it would probably be extremely difficult for him to try and crawl around underneath that Golf. I would imagine the Golf is very low to the ground, and I would really doubt that he has a floor jack and jack stands, so that ain't gonna happen in my estimation.

ON EDIT: No, wait, this was his wife's Audi, correct? Same difference, really. You're not going to crawl underneath without raising it.
  • Options

Glad no one got hurt, auto's can always be repaired...that's the main thing. Glad he took responsibility as some folks will out & out lie but a good cop usually can tell who hit who. Always respect folks who cause the accident & then take responsibility, shows they were brought up correctly! Also says a lot about their character. Hate when one watches and an accident happens and they're helpless to stop it!

That line about “a good cop can usually tell who hit who” reminded me of the story about when a priest rear ended a rabbi. The cop asked the priest, “about how fast would you say the rabbi was going when he backed into you”? It ain’t always like it seems. :s

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    xwesx said:

@henryn

Which one is that?

I think mine is:

"Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man."

You Can't Go Home Again is a novel by Thomas Wolfe published posthumously in 1940. -- Wikipedia

I was referencing that as several here were talking about "moving back home" to be near their relatives.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    Some of you lease buyout flippers should offer consulting services to this guy:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/14/increasing-used-car-values/

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    henryn said:

jmonroe1 said:

stickguy said:

jmonroe
    It's not clear that Sandy has actually discussed this with his mechanic, so I wouldn't judge. And with his back problems, it would probably be extremely difficult for him to try and crawl around underneath that Golf. I would imagine the Golf is very low to the ground, and I would really doubt that he has a floor jack and jack stands, so that ain't gonna happen in my estimation.

ON EDIT: No, wait, this was his wife's Audi, correct? Same difference, really. You're not going to crawl underneath without raising it.
    C’mon man, I said, “if it were me I’d drop a few of those pans”. I know @Sandy can’t do that but from what I gather about his communication with his mechanic I have to think he explained why he was canceling his appointment.

Like @nyccarguy said when everything goes quiet he’ll know he should have kept his appointment and so will his good mechanic.

jmonroe
  • Options
    rny421rny421 Member Posts: 160

Audi Q5
    BMW X3
    Mercedes GLC300

We have a 2017 GLC300 4matic that we bought used about three years ago. Currently has 41K miles, and we like it. We have had 2 PCV valves replaced under warranty (common problem with Mercedes 4 cylinders, I'm told it's redesigned now), and just recently had the auxiliary "battery" replaced under warranty (it's actually just a capacitor and I could've even done it myself) . Relatively minor issues, and nothing that has left us stranded or afraid of it's future reliability.

It rides as solid as a bank-vault, the 4 cylinder has a bit of turbo lag, but you get used to it, and it is in fact very quick. It also gets good gas mileage. Our around-town gas mileage is about 28 mpg, and a straight highway can be 30+ mpg if you keep it under 70 mph.

Now that the pandemic is easing, we're starting to travel again and put a lot more miles on it. As of now, we have no plans to get rid of it, but I also didn't think I'd be leasing an e-tron either B)
    2017 Mercedes GLC300 | 2021 Audi E-Tron
  • Options
    henryn said:

xwesx said:

@henryn

Which one is that?

I think mine is:

You Can't Go Home Again is a novel by Thomas Wolfe published posthumously in 1940. -- Wikipedia

I was referencing that as several here were talking about "moving back home" to be near their relatives.
    Oh, I spaced that one; foolish of me. A highly appropriate reference!
  • Options
    henryn said:

xwesx said:

henryn said:

stickguy said:

*GASP*

How insulting!!!!!!!!

Hey, I watched Northern Exposure, so I know all about Alaska. 9 months of solid freeze, then 3 months of giant mosquitos eating you alive. B)
    well, that TV show was actually filmed in Washington state...

• Options
    wouldn't actually be going home for me. Just near where I went to college. About 1/2 hour from where she grew up though. I would not be moving to her home town!

we only moved where we are after we got married when I got a job down here. Had no family anywhere near then, don't have any now. So other than people we have met there is nothing specific keeping us here.

• Options
    Thanks for the review, rny.

Funny, I input my A7e into Carvana and CarMax for a buy bid. The return was, "You stumped us!" I'd have to have it physically inspected, apparently. Just too new, I may be one of 11 people in the US who know that there's now an A7 PHEV.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Yes, yes it was, while I was living in BC.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Jmonroe, my mechanic hasn't looked at this latest leak yet so really can not fault him. I've only used him for the oil leaks on both vehicles and was very pleased. I only canceled the appointment because the 3 drops that did leak only happened once and the wife wasn't too keen on dropping it off since it was a one time leak. Since she had to have Audi add some coolant the other day is what gave her second thoughts. And as I recall, this is the second time Audi has put some extra coolant in in the almost 7 years of ownership. They've also had to top off the oil 3 times now as I recall.
    So, my new mechanic is really totally blameless here. I just have a stubborn wife that's all. It's just like with her new tires. She knows she needs a couple but is still putting it off until whenever. I don't run that way. I'd already would've had the new sneakers on the Audi already as I don't want the drama of coming out one day to a possible flat tire. I'm much more conservative and maybe I do replace my tires a bit too early, but then again, usually don't have any drama with them. And I know I'm going to have to spend the funds eventually on this issue so I just do it when it's easier for me, that's all. I know one day I'll get a phone call that her tire is flat or the coolant is all over the garage floor, and that she'll expect me to "get it done"! Some things in life never change!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited July 2021
    I've wanted to move for awhile now. But going back to New York is just not in the cards to as the cost of housing in Westchester is way too expensive and the taxes are plum crazy. And I think my living there the first 15 years of my life weren't that wonderful anyways...many of the kids in my class were very snobbish and down right mean at times. Just prefer the area I think, that's all. And now that our middle child is talking about purchasing a property in Miami, our move to Central Florida has been put on a permanent hold. We're an hour north of her and 2 hours south of our other daughter, give or take, so staying here for the time being is the new plan. And, if it really stays that way, think we'll have to do some work in the kitchen. Refacing the cabinets and putting down either granite or some man made stone product would need to be done plus replacing the original stove/oven which is just over 34 years old.
    But, we just haven't had that family sit down yet as not even sure my wife even knows what our Miami child is thinking about purchasing a property. I'm letting her tell her mom about this latest plan. But, I'd still like to move regardless. We live on a cul-de-sac and it's really a kid friendly area. Our kids are gone now so I want to go and get something a bit newer and maybe a little smaller. The only reason we're here is because we both came back after college and started working, not sure we'd still be here if our folks hadn't moved us both here in high school. And luckily, it's still affordable. But when we do move, I'd like new construction again. I do know I want a garage where I can park any size vehicle I want in there!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)