Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    edited August 2021

@nyccarguy said:

I'm due for a complete system replacement. I'm pretty sure the compressor, air handler, & duct work are close to 20 years old. I'm guessing they've been on borrowed time for at least the last 5 years. I got a few different quotes from a few different places last year. I got quotes from 3 different companies who want to do 3 different things. Each one more expensive than the next. One guy wants to put a new air handler exactly where the old one is, one guy wants to rotate it 90 degrees, the 3rd guy wants to put it on the other side of the house. I'd really love to hear some of your input as A/C isn't something I'm familiar with. Pleae feel free to PM me if you prefer. I want to do this correctly.

If the system has been working fine with it’s current configuration I would replace it with new equipment in the same layout. Probably looking at between 8-10K for a Goodman/Coleman 14 SEER system. Closer to 12-13 for a Lennox or Trane with a 20 seer rating.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    breld said:

My younger son’s last baseball tournament of the summer was this last weekend and I ended up driving back and forth between Denver and Colorado Springs (about 60 miles each way) every day from Thursday through Sunday, and twice on Friday as I returned that evening for my 30th High School Reunion (31st actually, as it was supposed to be last year).

So, lots of seat time in the fleet. I mixed it up a little between the Polestar and XC90. Definitely have grown to prefer the EV driving experience - the one-pedal driving is wonderful for pretty much all driving situations. But the XC90 really endeared itself to me as well…I found that the “Polestar Engineered” drive setting made for a generally better driving experience with its improved responsiveness.

And…I love the unique accessories Volvo offers on its cars. I’d always wanted the dog setup for the hatch and finally sprung for it this time.

The pooch looks safe and secure! So how did your son come out with the tournament?
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    breld said:

My younger son’s last baseball tournament of the summer was this last weekend and I ended up driving back and forth between Denver and Colorado Springs (about 60 miles each way) every day from Thursday through Sunday, and twice on Friday as I returned that evening for my 30th High School Reunion (31st actually, as it was supposed to be last year).

So, lots of seat time in the fleet. I mixed it up a little between the Polestar and XC90. Definitely have grown to prefer the EV driving experience - the one-pedal driving is wonderful for pretty much all driving situations. But the XC90 really endeared itself to me as well…I found that the “Polestar Engineered” drive setting made for a generally better driving experience with its improved responsiveness.

And…I love the unique accessories Volvo offers on its cars. I’d always wanted the dog setup for the hatch and finally sprung for it this time.

I must have slept. I didn’t realize you pulled the trigger on an XC.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543
    nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Bad news - A/C guy showed up this AM. He told my wife the compressor is shot and needs to be replaced. He's going to follow up with an estimate. GRRRRRR!

Too bad most HVAC guys don’t do every day plumbing. If your guy did you might be able to work some kind of a deal with him.

If your system is more than 15 years old you might want to consider an entire system replacement. I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear but it is reality. Plus it’s always been easy for me to spend the other guys money.

Good luck.

jmonroe

I'm due for a complete system replacement. I'm pretty sure the compressor, air handler, & duct work are close to 20 years old. I'm guessing they've been on borrowed time for at least the last 5 years. I got a few different quotes from a few different places last year. I got quotes from 3 different companies who want to do 3 different things. Each one more expensive than the next. One guy wants to put a new air handler exactly where the old one is, one guy wants to rotate it 90 degrees, the 3rd guy wants to put it on the other side of the house. I'd really love to hear some of your input as A/C isn't something I'm familiar with. Pleae feel free to PM me if you prefer. I want to do this correctly.

I’m not sure what you mean by an “air handler” but if you mean the blower assembly that is part of the furnace (I have a traditional gas forced air furnace that uses the same blower and duct work for both heating and cooling). The guy that wants to rotate it by 90 degrees probably has a different brand of cooling coil (also known as an A-Coil) that won’t fit in your plenum like the one you have now. If that’s the case he probably has to modify your plenum to get his brand to fit. That explains why his price is higher. Therefore, I’d not use him. As for putting the air handler on the other side of the house that is crazy unless your existing A/C system is not providing satisfactory cooling.

I’m sure some of your neighbors have the same type of heating system that you have and also have A/C, so I’d talk to them about any A/C changes they may have made.

In short, if you’re satisfied with the way you old A/C system worked, I’d go with the same type of installation you have now. It’s your choice what brand you choose.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    au1994 said:

breld said:

You blink and you miss it! :)

Yup, got it back on June 30th.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    An almost impossible request, but I'm sure you can come up with suggestions!

@corvette - you might like this thread as he asks about a Prius.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Bad news - A/C guy showed up this AM. He told my wife the compressor is shot and needs to be replaced. He's going to follow up with an estimate. GRRRRRR!

Too bad most HVAC guys don’t do every day plumbing. If your guy did you might be able to work some kind of a deal with him.

If your system is more than 15 years old you might want to consider an entire system replacement. I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear but it is reality. Plus it’s always been easy for me to spend the other guys money.

Good luck.

jmonroe

I’m not sure what you mean by an “air handler” but if you mean the blower assembly that is part of the furnace (I have a traditional gas forced air furnace that uses the same blower and duct work for both heating and cooling). The guy that wants to rotate it by 90 degrees probably has a different brand of cooling coil (also known as an A-Coil) that won’t fit in your plenum like the one you have now. If that’s the case he probably has to modify your plenum to get his brand to fit. That explains why his price is higher. Therefore, I’d not use him. As for putting the air handler on the other side of the house that is crazy unless your existing A/C system is not providing satisfactory cooling.

I’m sure some of your neighbors have the same type of heating system that you have and also have A/C, so I’d talk to them about any A/C changes they may have made.

In short, if you’re satisfied with the way you old A/C system worked, I’d go with the same type of installation you have now. It’s your choice what brand you choose.

jmonroe

My boiler is completely separate from the A/C. My current setup does not cool the house evenly. The air handler is above my dining room/lving room/kitchen. This part of the house always cools down nicely. The bedrooms are at the other end of the house and get cool-ish. There is a large bay window in our living room and the sun beats on the house all day.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

breld said:

au1994 said:

breld said:

You blink and you miss it! :)

Yup, got it back on June 30th.
    Isn’t that car past its expiration date for you? You can thank me for reminding you. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

nyccarguy said:

jmonroe1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

Good luck.

jmonroe

jmonroe
    My boiler is completely separate from the A/C. My current setup does not cool the house evenly. The air handler is above my dining room/lving room/kitchen. This part of the house always cools down nicely. The bedrooms are at the other end of the house and get cool-ish. There is a large bay window in our living room and the sun beats on the house all day.

That being the case it sounds like the 3rd guy is proposing a better more comfortable system for your house. Another that being the case, I’d get a few more quotes for that set up before pulling the trigger. It doesn’t sound cheap to me but once you get the right system you’ll be more comfortable.

Keep us informed as to which way you go.

jmonroe
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,305
    @stickguy,
    Thanks, I kind of thought the same thing, the title has my name on it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Somehow, I don't think Bradd is interested in paying $10K+ over MSRP for the HyunKia duo.

Stick with the Pilot - heck, for a Honda, it's barely broken in.

I know the Koreans have come a long way, but I have no interest in a Hyundai/Kia with that kind of price tag in the first place. Much less one with those kind of dealer mark ups.

The Pilot is weird in the fact that it seems to have a longer life cycle than other Honda Products. The previous generation was ‘09 - ‘15. So maybe a 2022-2023 redesign is coming up.

For what it’s worth, the Kia dealer in Albany was selling all their inventory for MSRP a month ago.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

benjaminh said:

Ford plans to substantially shift to an ordering system. Even when the chip crisis is over Ford hopes to sell more vehicles for closer to msrp.

"We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days' supply," he said. "I know we are wasting money on incentives."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37187201/ford-build-to-order-online-ordering-changes/

I’d welcome that even though I’d hate to lose incentives. Any time I’ve approached a dealer about custom orders you would have thought I spit on his grandma’s grave.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

I think that type of ordering is going to hurt new car sales.
    You order a car, they run you credit and everything is ok, or the manufacturer says not good enough.
    Or, the car comes in, they run your credit again and it's bad.
    What happens then?

I think that type of ordering is going to hurt new car sales.
    You order a car, they run you credit and everything is ok, or the manufacturer says not good enough.
    Or, the car comes in, they run your credit again and it's bad.
    What happens then?

Welcome to the new twist of ADM.

jmonroe
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    RIP Toyota Avalon. Toyota killed it.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

Can the Maxima be far behind?

They killed the Avalon a few years ago with that horrible front end. Self fulfilling prophecy.

No surprise it really hasn’t sold well since 05-08.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    corvette said:

Chrysler 300/Charger next? Sadly not many larger sedans left.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    corvette said:

Although not for everyone (roadburner, for one), I found it to be a fantastic vehicle - comfortable, good performance for what it is, reliable to a tee, etc. Needed was a less polarizing grill like many Toyota’s and most Lexus’ and not to be a sedan, rather an SUV, in today’s world.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Back in 2018, we got a whole new a/c system, a 17 seer York unit. It's fantastic in that we have to keep the temp at 79 or the house gets too cold! It's super efficient and our power bills show it. The wife even asked the tech if they could make it blow warmer air!!! It's that cold. Seriously, it's a much better unit than we had and it all fit in the same places except they had to put the air handler on a piece of wood for some reason. All I know is that the city signed off on it all and it works great! And with the rebates, only costed us $3838, it's a 3.5 ton unit even though I wanted a 4 ton. Was told it wasn't necessary to go up 1/2 a ton.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    A3 is back home and seems that we got the unit where everything was right there so saved a few bucks. Nice to have it back home.
    Next up, three new tires. Asked her to call our guy at Tires Plus and order the three tires and have it done within a couple of weeks. The front drivers side tire is getting a bit bald on the edges so think the time has come. We'll also get a 4-wheel alignment done as we still have time left on our policy. After that, she'll be as good as new. It is a very nice driver to be honest and I'd have no problem having it as my d d.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

carnaught said:

Although not for everyone (roadburner, for one), I found it to be a fantastic vehicle - comfortable, good performance for what it is, reliable to a tee, etc. Needed was a less polarizing grill like many Toyota’s and most Lexus’ and not to be a sedan, rather an SUV, in today’s world.

There was some talk of that on some of the groups that follow the Wichita car mafia--like, if you're interested in buying a hooptie full size domestic sedan, consider an Avalon instead, because you will get over 90% of the experience of floating down the road on a couch, plus Toyota reliability.

...they had to put the air handler on a piece of wood for some reason.

I don't think they're supposed to come into direct contact with basement / garage floor surfaces, I'm assuming because things leak and get spilled and could then get induced into the interior of the house.

A3 is back home and seems that we got the unit where everything was right there so saved a few bucks. Nice to have it back home.
    Next up, three new tires. Asked her to call our guy at Tires Plus and order the three tires and have it done within a couple of weeks. The front drivers side tire is getting a bit bald on the edges so think the time has come. We'll also get a 4-wheel alignment done as we still have time left on our policy. After that, she'll be as good as new. It is a very nice driver to be honest and I'd have no problem having it as my d d.

Sandy, I know you aren't the final arbiter of this, but you should really just get all 4 tires replaced. You'll likely have to go back a few months from now for the final tire - and, you should ask the tire place if they can discount the price if you buy all 4.

I saw the news on the Avalon - counting the Cressida, Toyota has offered a large sedan for 35 years (or longer). Sign of the times.

On a related note, I scored a daily double on the obscure sedan front tonight. Hyundai Azera and an Acura RLX - both the latest iterations. Sharp looking vehicles, both, but nobody seems to want a sedan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited August 2021
    On the tires--I'd probably take a similar approach to close friends and family who need extensive legal advice (beyond a simple issue that can be handled with a few minute phone call): I refer them to someone who actually practices in the area where they need assistance, and tell them I will pay the bill for a consultation, or X number of hours of work. I've never had anyone ask me to actually pay the bill.

I missed why you’re buying only 3 tires vs. 4. Unless one tire is almost new and is the same model tire I don’t understand your reasoning. To me that is like taking a shower with some of your clothes on.

jmonroe
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited August 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

I don’t understand your reasoning.

Bring your lunch.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    My parents have had a couple of Avalons. I always thought they were nice looking and comfortable. The cow catcher front really looked rough on it though.

I’ve always loved the Maxima, faults be darned. Nissan hasn’t done much with it in the past couple of years so I too suspect its a goner.

300/Charger are pretty much rental fodder at this point, right? The Charger’s hi-po variants have a following but probably not enough to save it when the conversation comes up.

RE: Tires…my understanding was on AWD unless all 4 tires were within a few hundred miles of each other, you are looking at potential AWD system problems due to the size related to wear. So, yeah do all 4.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,084
    jmonroe1 said:

I missed why you’re buying only 3 tires vs. 4. Unless one tire is almost new and is the same model tire I don’t understand your reasoning.

I have a vague memory that they got on a track of 3 tires after something (a puncture?) happened to Mrs. Sandman's car a few years ago. Cannot remember the specifics but it may have had something to do with not wanting to replace 3 perfectly good tires at the time. I'm sure Sandy can fill us in.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2021
    corvette said:

carnaught said:

There was some talk of that on some of the groups that follow the Wichita car mafia--like, if you're interested in buying a hooptie full size domestic sedan, consider an Avalon instead, because you will get over 90% of the experience of floating down the road on a couch, plus Toyota reliability.
    Too pricey for my hooptie budget but seems ok for a nearly new car.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/springfield-2016-avalon-original-owner/7351970017.html

I’d be inclined to go a bit older (and cheaper).
    https://newhaven.craigslist.org/ctd/d/waterbury-2007-toyota-avalon-limited/7354572180.html

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514
    A kid in my neighborhood has a silver Avalon just like that one.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

au1994 said:

RE: Tires…my understanding was on AWD unless all 4 tires were within a few hundred miles of each other, you are looking at potential AWD system problems due to the size related to wear. So, yeah do all 4.

Correct on AWD but their A3 is the FWD version. I still wouldn’t mess around unless the old one had pretty much new tread depth.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    stickguy said:

Same here... just four doors down

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Same here... just four doors down
    The modern equivalent of handing down a Volvo 240.

I had an 06 like the silver one. Loved that car.

I'm seeing a number of previous-gen Avalons in taxi service locally. Seems ideal for that.

My cousin had an Avalon Hybrid Limited for a short while. A very nice car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

Check the driveway again. :s

jmonroe
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348

@stickguy said:

Lucky him!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@roadburner - I’m interested in the quality of the repairs and paint match after the front end damage on the M4. I think that would be a tough color to match.

I just looked online and the pics look like the hood doesn’t fit correctly. The center towards the grilles looks low and the edges over the headlights look high.

That’s a hilarious counter to the Demon

0-60 in 2.1 seconds. And about 5 seconds after that I would wrap it around a telephone pole and we both go to the great junkyard in the sky.

The last part of the article mirrors my thoughts on paying $135k for any car. How could you ever take it out of the garage lest you get a stone chip or a door ding?

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

The last part of the article mirrors my thoughts on paying $135k for any car. How could you ever take it out of the garage lest you get a stone chip or a door ding?
    Easier than the folks driving around in $250k-$300k cars like ferraris, mclarens, lambos, bentleys, etc.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Farmer, you are thinking like a poorish guy that would have to cash out his IRA to get it. Think like a rich guy where it’s chump change, and just a car.

Around here those driving exotic cars during the 3-4 months of the year when the weather and the pothole repair seasons align are generally the offspring of overseas gazillionaires who send their kids to university here, or local video animation/gaming tycoons who hit it big at a young age. Money is the last thing they think about.