Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I spotted an (insert obscure car name here) classic car today!

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,081
    I've never seen one before either. Interesting. Did the interior exhibit a similar level of "patina"?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    in a driveway, a 69ish (guessing, maybe a year off either way) Torino. Fastback, looked to have a hood scoop. Maybe a GT. An odd bright green. No clue if original color.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,094

I've never seen one before either. Interesting. Did the interior exhibit a similar level of "patina"?

Oh, yes. :)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    According to my old car book, they only made 963 of the 2-door Ranger Roundup for '58, so definitely a rare beast. Also a bit of a musclecar, with the standard engine being a 303 hp 361 V8. Base price was $2876.

About the closest competition, I guess, would have been the 2-door Dodge Suburban. It sold 1300 units, and came with a 295 hp 350-4bbl. It had a base price of $2970.
    I was just looking at a '58 Edsel brochure to see what else I could learn about the Roundup. Turns out, not much. It was pretty skimpy on details. But the one thing I saw was a picture of it from the rear. It looks like they took the quarter panels from the '57 Ford wagon and used them on the Roundup for '58, keeping the jet-tube shape and fitting a vertical boomerang-shaped tailight over the round hole the '57 used for its rear light. Looked odd.

Meanwhile, the '58 Ford Ranch Wagon did a bit better job of keeping true to the styling of the other models that year:

I wonder how hard it would have been to fit a modified Edsel taillight. Maybe they ran out of budget.

Wife found this long-lost photo of me and my first new car, '81 Monte Carlo, from July '81.

I had my hometown dealer look for one in Dark Jade with V8 and no air, and this was the closest, in Clearfield, PA. They did a dealer swap.

It was built in August '80 and I took delivery Jan. 17, 1981.

267 V8, two-tone Light Jade hood and roof over Dark Jade, the standard metal full wheelcovers, whitewalls, Positraction, intermittent wipers, tilt wheel, AM/FM radio, rear seat speaker, door edge guards, body side moldings, remote-control outside mirror (LH only), tinted glass, factory floor mats. Bottom of window sticker $8,192.00.

Stolen in October 1982 and never recovered.

Such a handsome devil! :p

I hate to ask this question because of the tone, but I have to: was the 267 the same sort of dog engine that the Olds 260 was? I wonder if it made enough power to ever spin the rear wheels?

It was a dog for sure.

That said, my parents had an '80 Monte Carlo V6 and to me the sounds that engine made did not belong in a Monte Carlo!

The 267 was at least smooth and quiet, like a V8. They were actually somewhat hard to find in an '81, at least early in the model run and in one that wasn't very loaded, like mine wasn't.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    The '58 Ford Ranchero kept the '57 Ford round taillights, which always struck me as odd.
    Here's an old comparison test of an '81 Malibu with the 267 and an Olds Omega with the 2.8.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-reviews/vintage-review-1981-malibu-versus-omega-speak-of-the-devil/

They got a 0-60 time of 14.0 seconds for the Malibu, and 11.3 for the Omega. For comparison, Motortrend tested an '81 Grand Prix with the Pontiac 265, and got 0-60 in 14.9.
    https://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-pontiac-grand-prix-manufacturer-promo-yes-this-is-the-one/

Consumer Guide tested an '81 Cutlass Supreme coupe with the 260, and got a yawn-inducing 18.0 seconds!
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/the-10-slowest-cars-of-1981/

I don't think I've ever seen a road test of anything Ford made with its tiny 255 V8, but I'd imagine it was similarly bad. And Mopar never got into that under-sized V8 squabble of that era, although I can't imagine a 120 hp 318 was good for much. Consumer Guide tested an '80 Volare with one, and 0-60 was around 14.1 seconds.
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/review-flashback-1980-plymouth-volare/

The engine that really surprises me though, is the Olds 260. While all of these are bad, I don't think 14-15 seconds sounds too out-of-line, given the low hp, the weight of the cars, and tall gearing. But the 260, for whatever reason, just seems like it takes that early 80's suckiness to a whole new level.
    With the Edsel wagons, interestingly they seemed to put a bit more effort into the '59, in making it look different from a Ford. If you stare at the two long enough, it probably becomes apparent it was still done on the cheap, as it looks like they look like the both have the same quarter panel sheetmetal. But at a quick glance, they at least look different enough, and more substantial than the '58 changes.

And, while the Edsel as a whole saw sales drop for '59, wagon sales actually rose a bit. For '58 they sold about 5500 4-door wagons across the Ranger Villager and Pacer Bermuda lines, plus 963 for the Ranger Roundup 2-door model. For '59, the station wagons were simply "Villager" and only offered as a 4-door. They sold about 7800 of them.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    andre1969 said:

Here's an old comparison test of an '81 Malibu with the 267 and an Olds Omega with the 2.8.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-reviews/vintage-review-1981-malibu-versus-omega-speak-of-the-devil/

They got a 0-60 time of 14.0 seconds for the Malibu, and 11.3 for the Omega. For comparison, Motortrend tested an '81 Grand Prix with the Pontiac 265, and got 0-60 in 14.9.
    https://testdrivejunkie.com/1981-pontiac-grand-prix-manufacturer-promo-yes-this-is-the-one/

Consumer Guide tested an '81 Cutlass Supreme coupe with the 260, and got a yawn-inducing 18.0 seconds!
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/the-10-slowest-cars-of-1981/

I don't think I've ever seen a road test of anything Ford made with its tiny 255 V8, but I'd imagine it was similarly bad. And Mopar never got into that under-sized V8 squabble of that era, although I can't imagine a 120 hp 318 was good for much. Consumer Guide tested an '80 Volare with one, and 0-60 was around 14.1 seconds.
    https://blog.consumerguide.com/review-flashback-1980-plymouth-volare/

The engine that really surprises me though, is the Olds 260. While all of these are bad, I don't think 14-15 seconds sounds too out-of-line, given the low hp, the weight of the cars, and tall gearing. But the 260, for whatever reason, just seems like it takes that early 80's suckiness to a whole new level.

The Olds 260 was smooth, quiet, reliable but woefully weak. Can you imagine how horrible the 260 V8 diesel was? I think I remember 0-60 around 17 sec with the clunky shifting 5sp transmission.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    edited August 2021
    And to think what any of those GM cars would be like with a 350 and modern EFI and computer controls. 2X the power, better MPGs, better emissions...
    texases said:

An to think what any of those GM cars would be like with a 350 and modern EFI and computer controls. 2X the power, better MPGs, better emissions...

It would be a night and day experience to the better. It would be fun to have a clean donor to make those changes but keep it essentially stock overall.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    Yep, folks do restomods, where they up the hp but also go with all the go-fast stuff. I'd like to see, say, a Cutlass of that period with a great engine and the needed upgrades to handle the hp, but with the original 'mission' of a comfortable classy car.
    texases said:

Yep, folks do restomods, where they up the hp but also go with all the go-fast stuff. I'd like to see, say, a Cutlass of that period with a great engine and the needed upgrades to handle the hp, but with the original 'mission' of a comfortable classy car.

Exactly

gotta ask, why specifically did you want one with no AC? Must have been fun for back seat passengers where the windows did not roll down.

I would like an El Camino of that 1980s vintage. Drop in a nice crate 350 with FI and a 5 speed stick, upgrade the usual pieces (steering/brakes/suspension), put in nicer seats, and good to go!

in a parking lot, a very clean looking Subaru Baja. Turbo. Looked quite dainty and low compared to current models. I liked it.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    texases said:

Chevrolet Performance built a 1985(I think) Monte Carlo SS with a hot crate motor, six speed manual(IIRC) and four wheel disc brakes. I'd take one.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I wanted no AC as my parents, even, had never had a car with it, and I was 22.5 years old when I bought it and was pushing my $13.5K annual salary enough as it was, LOL! My Dad was lobbying for me to buy a Chevette, which was downright comical.
    edited August 2021
    I gotta say, that Malibu Classic sedan in that '81 road test looks nice with the blackwall tires--a 'sports sedan' look. I always liked that optional '81-only interior that test car has. This car has the gauge package, which forced you to get the Monte Carlo's worst-ever-fake-woodgrain-everywhere on the instrument panel. I'd have rather had the standard Malibu Classic panel which had shiny black trim all over. But I like the exterior of that test car, and the seating/door panels.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I think about that with old MBs. Imagine a fintail or W123, cars that weigh just over 3000 lbs, with the latest E450 362hp I6 mild hybrid. With the right power delivery, they'd be sub-5 second 0-60 cars, and probably get 30 mpg on the highway without issue.
    texases said:

And to think what any of those GM cars would be like with a 350 and modern EFI and computer controls. 2X the power, better MPGs, better emissions...

A 75 Sedan DeVille looks dainty and low compared to an Ascender.
    stickguy said:

in a parking lot, a very clean looking Subaru Baja. Turbo. Looked quite dainty and low compared to current models. I liked it.

Gauge package or gage package? ;)

I am pretty sure that's the same steering wheel as my friend's 83 Monte CL. I seem to recall it having a big strip of plood on the dash, too.

Something that always bugged me on those Malibus, the "soft pillar" in the rear door isn't exactly parallel with the C-pillar/door frame.

I gotta say, that Malibu Classic sedan in that '81 road test looks nice with the blackwall tires--a 'sports sedan' look. I always liked that optional '81-only interior that test car has. This car has the gauge package, which forced you to get the Monte Carlo's worst-ever-fake-woodgrain-everywhere on the instrument panel. I'd have rather had the standard Malibu Classic panel which had shiny black trim all over. But I like the exterior of that test car, and the seating/door panels.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    I like watching this guy's videos, although most cars for sale are not my jam.
    Has a nice little easter egg in the video about his upcoming road trip.
    About 20 minutes long.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifDRiVR1og
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Something that always bugged me on those Malibus, the "soft pillar" in the rear door isn't exactly parallel with the C-pillar/door frame.

Funny, that exact thing used to bug me too, along with the tapered B-pillar in '77-79 Fleetwoods. I like the latter now, and on the Malibu (and other GM midsize RWD sedans of that period), I'm not bothered by the non-parallel thing. Sort of a formal top.
    edited August 2021
    The guy who wrote that follow-up article on the Omega and Malibu Classic, mentioned they should've tested a 305. When I bought my '81 Monte Carlo (total sibling car to Malibu), the 305 was not available where I lived.

He also mentioned the "wagon only 350". Not in '81. It's soooo easy to verify with the brochure online, sigh.
    fintail said:

I think about that with old MBs. Imagine a fintail or W123, cars that weigh just over 3000 lbs, with the latest E450 362hp I6 mild hybrid. With the right power delivery, they'd be sub-5 second 0-60 cars, and probably get 30 mpg on the highway without issue.

texases said:

A guy in California has an E9 Coupe that now boasts a complete E28 M5 drivetrain. He also managed to install Bosch ABS and updated A/C. Just beautiful- and stupid fast.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I like the early '90s Impala SS a lot. That said, I've always been ambivalent about the Caprice wagon- but I have to say I found this custom wagon attractive. What really caught my eye were the '55 Chevy tail lamps.

The Fleetwood has caught my eye since I was a kid, but never bugged me. I think there might have also been a more vintage model with a non-parallel b-pillar, maybe a heritage theme.

I recall a friend of the family bought one of those formal roof Malibus around 1990. Not sure what engine was in it, but it was an ex-police car, probably mildly desirable now, but it was neglected then and had drivability issues.

Speaking of Caddys, spent a little time browsing my childhood town on Google earth. One of my best friend's grandparents were Cadillac fans, I recall they had a few of them, including a 1920s model I found fascinating. I found their house, pic from about 10 years ago, and it appears they were still into it:

And then to my friend's house, and what's in the driveway follows suit:

Funny, that exact thing used to bug me too, along with the tapered B-pillar in '77-79 Fleetwoods. I like the latter now, and on the Malibu (and other GM midsize RWD sedans of that period), I'm not bothered by the non-parallel thing. Sort of a formal top.

edited August 2021
    There's a company in Germany called "Mechatronik" who does modern powertrain transplants into vintage MBs, while keeping a mostly stock appearance. The results are impressive, but they come at a price

fintail said:

texases said:

A guy in California has an E9 Coupe that now boasts a complete E28 M5 drivetrain. He also managed to install Bosch ABS and updated A/C. Just beautiful- and stupid fast.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    fintail said:

Cool stuff, I approve. I even see a red fintail in the latest street view,

Insane that these are sitting outside though, even in relatively mild Vancouver. The oldies are definitely not rust resistant, and at their age, the summer won't help either. Someone has a hoarding problem. 107s are still pretty cheap when in imperfect condition, and 129s even cheaper, so a collection like this would cost a pretty penny, but not bazillions.

On the obscure car front, saw a ~1999 Sonata on the road today. I think I see more Lamborghinis on the road even in Spokane than early Sonatas.

boomchek said:

Speaking of Mercedes graveyards, check out this local place I stumbled upon last year.

Even though it feels like you just time warped to a Mercedes dealership in the 1980s, none of the cars are for sale. This is someone's private collection set up at an old dealership. There is dealer looking signage on the building, but the showroom is always closed and the caretaker that was there told me it was a private collection.
    You can see more on Google Maps:
    https://goo.gl/maps/3o2MT6KTZKc8MbwPA

Yeah, it's definitely a hoarding problem. I discussed this with a local facebook mb group and someone posted the guy's address. On google maps, you could see about 2 dozen 80s benzes crammed into the guy's property, a normal city sized house lot. Not sure if they were the same cars that are sitting at the "dealership" before he acquired it and moved them there, or an additional couple dozen to what I posted in the photos.

Vancouver has a few eccentrics living here so a collection like that is unusual but also not strange.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

fintail said:

Gauge package or gage package? ;)

Hey, at least the "gage" packages gets rid of the "gen" light :p

That rear strip that separates the vent window from the stationary window always bugged me a bit, too. From some angles it's not even noticeable, but if you look at it the wrong way, it just seems off. I wonder if it's that way because the C-pillar on the wagon slants forward a bit more than the sedan? That strip may have originally been designed with the wagon in mind, and used on the formaled-up sedans so that both could use the same window glass? So they probably made the change in the flip-out vent window.

I guess if someone's ever scavenging for parts in the junkyard, that might be something to look out for...don't grab a wagon rear door to put on a sedan, because it might not fit!

As for that tapered B-pillar on the '77-79 Fleetwoods, personally I'm not a huge fan of it. But at least it was intentional.
    fintail said:

I need to see a picture to know what you're talking about here.

ab348 said:

fintail said:

I think this might be what Fintail is talking about...

The trim piece that the vent window hinges on looks like it's slightly more angled than the leading edge of the C-pillar. I don't think it's that noticeable at a quick glance, but it's one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it. Actually from the side here, it looks to me like the rear door opening is a bit more taller, squared off, and upright than the actual door. Maybe it's just an optical illusion, but the top edge of the door looks like it tapers down towards the rear a bit more than the actual opening, and roofline.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    I have to say... very noticeable in that picture, and that would bug the crap out of me. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    The top and rear of the trim piece is squared off to make corner and should have been rounded slightly.

I checked the leading edge of the vent wing and the roof trim piece with rules and they appear to be parallel.
    The rear edge of the vent wing window also is parallel to the front edge. There's something that's deceptive to the eye and I believe it is, as someone pointed out, the shape of the corner of the roof accent trim.

some other GM cars of that era (1982) had more formal rooflines on the coupes that make the roof look taller and solid. I wonder if the shape of the roof trim was done to emulate those formal roofs.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Our neighbors had a Delta Royale exactly like the one in the picture. It was a diesel, which surprisingly, was trouble free. They drove it for 10+ years.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I never knew the aeroback had the 442 moniker.

https://barnfinds.com/rare-aeroback-1978-oldsmobile-442/

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I've never been a huge fan of the Aeroback, but that '78 442 is catching my eye. I think it's the color. That white with the blue accents looks nice. I tend to think of them as being black/gold or white/gold.

And with the back end jacked up a bit like that, it makes it look a bit more muscular...less droopy in the rump area.

As for those big GM cars where they made them more formal for '80, I think they're handsome enough, but the coupes seemed to lose their individuality compared to '77-79. The small quarter windows, thick C-pillars, and vertical rear windows made them look like big personal-luxury coupes. Hmm, maybe the '77-78 Riviera would have looked better, and been better-received, if it had a more squared off roofline like that?

Is that Delta 88 coupe light jadestone in color? It's a bit hard to tell in the bright sun like that, but it looks like it could be. As much as I love that color in person, one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't seem to photograph all that well. Depending on the lighting, it often looks like it's a washed-out gray or silver. And I've noticed the dark jade, in pictures, often looks dark blue or even black.

Back to that '82-83 Malibu sedan I posted, above. I know this was exactly the wrong way to build cars back then, but I was thinking that if they added about 4" to the wheelbase, ahead of the cowl, that would be a beautifully proportioned car. The roofline already looks similar to the '75-79 Seville, but I think stretching out the front clip like that would give it even more Seville-like proportions.

And, it wouldn't have to all be totally wasted space. They could also pull the engine and transmission four inches forward as well, which would reduce the size of the transmission hump. That would improve the center front seating position a bit. I guess if they wanted, they could also extend the floor forward a bit, under the dash, but I don't think that would really be necessary, as these cars were already decent when it came to legroom.
    edited August 2021
    andre1969 said:

Is that Delta 88 coupe light jadestone in color? It's a bit hard to tell in the bright sun like that, but it looks like it could be. As much as I love that color in person, one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't seem to photograph all that well. Depending on the lighting, it often looks like it's a washed-out gray or silver.

I've told this story here before but over a decade ago my brother had a Mazda pickup, the Ford Ranger clone. It had steel wheels that were looking worse for wear so he decided to repaint them. He went to Canadian Tire for some rattle can paint. Nowadays they offer silver wheel paint but either it wasn't available back then or more likely he thought he could get something cheaper, and ended up buying a couple of cans of "Color-Match" body paint. Those had the color on the cap for the can and he picked what he thought was silver paint. On the appointed day he prepped and sprayed the wheels, then remounted them on the truck. His wife came out to look at the results and was a bit taken aback. The paint that he thought was silver was actually Light Jadestone. He is somewhat colorblind, and it looked silver to him. So he had the only Mazda pickup in town with silver-green wheels.

I had bent one of the rally wheels on my '82 Cutlass Supreme coupe, which were color keyed to its light jadestone body. I found a light gray one at the junkyard, and by the time it was on the car, with the center cap, trim ring, and those fake chrome lug nuts, it actually blended in rather well with the rest of the car. If you really paid attention, you could notice it, but it really didn't stand out.
    Light jadestone seemed to be a popular color for Olds and GM. Unless garage kept and washed/waxed regularly that color didn't maintain its gloss very well in the South. Most looked satin to flat after a few years.

edited August 2021
    Adam from Rare Classic Cars channel had an article about his 75 Olds published.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdoSqWodLU
    Here's a video about the E9 BMW. Some good throw back stuff in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4FT5HC6DI

I never knew the aeroback had the 442 moniker.

https://barnfinds.com/rare-aeroback-1978-oldsmobile-442/

An embarrassment.

Here's a video about the E9 BMW. Some good throw back stuff in it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK4FT5HC6DI

In 1990 my wife drove a friend's 3.0 CS to the BMW CCA Oktoberfest in Columbus,OH while I drove my E28 535is. We drove the CS everywhere while most every other CS owner kept their coupes under a car cover in fear of a heavy dew...

I know Ford Boss Me and Scotty K are having a little tiff, Adam from RCC might be headed down the same road.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYZ2y0H88cI
    I suspect the city cracked down on so many cars being parked at a residential house, so he moved them. Would be fun to know the owner's story and mindset.
    boomchek said:

fintail said:

Cool stuff, I approve. I even see a red fintail in the latest street view,

Insane that these are sitting outside though, even in relatively mild Vancouver. The oldies are definitely not rust resistant, and at their age, the summer won't help either. Someone has a hoarding problem. 107s are still pretty cheap when in imperfect condition, and 129s even cheaper, so a collection like this would cost a pretty penny, but not bazillions.

On the obscure car front, saw a ~1999 Sonata on the road today. I think I see more Lamborghinis on the road even in Spokane than early Sonatas.

boomchek said:

Speaking of Mercedes graveyards, check out this local place I stumbled upon last year.

Even though it feels like you just time warped to a Mercedes dealership in the 1980s, none of the cars are for sale. This is someone's private collection set up at an old dealership. There is dealer looking signage on the building, but the showroom is always closed and the caretaker that was there told me it was a private collection.
    You can see more on Google Maps:
    https://goo.gl/maps/3o2MT6KTZKc8MbwPA

Yeah, it's definitely a hoarding problem. I discussed this with a local facebook mb group and someone posted the guy's address. On google maps, you could see about 2 dozen 80s benzes crammed into the guy's property, a normal city sized house lot. Not sure if they were the same cars that are sitting at the "dealership" before he acquired it and moved them there, or an additional couple dozen to what I posted in the photos.

Vancouver has a few eccentrics living here so a collection like that is unusual but also not strange.
    It's almost like the soft pillar in the window is more parallel to the rear window/windshield/end of C-pillar angle than the door frame. It's really slight almost to the point of being a possible illusion, but it has always caught my eye.
    andre1969 said:

ab348 said:

fintail said:

I think this might be what Fintail is talking about...

The trim piece that the vent window hinges on looks like it's slightly more angled than the leading edge of the C-pillar. I don't think it's that noticeable at a quick glance, but it's one of those things that once you see it, you can't un-see it. Actually from the side here, it looks to me like the rear door opening is a bit more taller, squared off, and upright than the actual door. Maybe it's just an optical illusion, but the top edge of the door looks like it tapers down towards the rear a bit more than the actual opening, and roofline.