Real-World Trade-In Values

110901091109310951096

Comments

  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 15,757
    I have a coupe of friends who have Cayennes of that vintage and they love them. That said, I'd definitely get a PPI from somebody who knows Porsches; taking it to Billy Bob's Tanning Salon, Laundromat and High-Tech Auto Repair won't cut it. Don't worry about the price until the truck gets a clean bill of health.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895

    Nobody can predict the future.

    As it is, that is cheap. I’d be very wary and have it checked out by a specialist first.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52

    Is 2015 Porsche Macan S with 65k for $32k a good deal? Or is it just decent with todays market?

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895

    @magnumek said:
    Is 2015 Porsche Macan S with 65k for $32k a good deal? Or is it just decent with todays market?

    Good for you if no previous paintwork. They go for $31k-$33k at auction.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • Lgb0250Lgb0250 Member Posts: 1
    Prices on used vehicles right now are showing the irrational exuberance syndrome.

    I recently got rid of my 2019 Toyota Avalon Limited w/7k miles. Got pricing from Vroom, Carvana and Carmax. Carmax offered the most at $35600 which was $3600 more than I paid for it with 1400 mi on it. Put an ad on Autotrader for $38695 and sold it to an independent lot buyer for $37000.

    Today I priced out my wife’s 2019 Lexus RX350 that is loaded and has 15800 mi on it. Vroom and Carmax both offered $43600 and Carvana offered 46889! Which is only $3K less than what we paid new, no rhyme or reason out there right now. Auctions use to be the gold standard but not in this market at 5his point in time.
  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52

    Thank you.

    Is there any way of finding out how much was it selling for a year ago?

    I really want the Macan or Cayenne but I dont want to end losing 10k next year when/if the market settles down

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,650
    Nobody can really predict, or guarantee, that. But any time you buy on a bubble, there is a good chance it bursts on you.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895
    Up about $3k from this time last year.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,087
    Depreciation doesn't really scare me except in the event of a theft/collision.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulMember Posts: 1,054
    I figure it's all about the "delta" because even if I am overpaying for the replacement, the value of my trade is equally inflated.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Any idea of a SUV that has the highest seat height? We have a 4runner and want something with better gas mileage. Sat in a CRV and thought we were sitting on the ground.
  • dad23dad23 ColoradoMember Posts: 765
    hmmm, not thinking better gas mileage there, but definitely higher seat height!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,650

    Highlander hybrid.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyMember Posts: 13,607

    I don’t think anything with much better gas mileage will sit higher than a 4Runner.

    @stickguy has a solid selection if you can even find a Highlander Hybrid right now

    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2021
    Hello, how much would a 2021 Mercedes Benz GLB 250 FWD with 4k miles be going for at auction right now in the Socal region? My zip is 91913.
    Perfect shape, white/beige leather, Premium Pack, 3rd row, dampening suspension, 20" wheels w/good tires. No prior accidents. Looking into selling it if the price is right. Thanks!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895

    About $48k

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2021
    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,474
    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    Lol, happy to exit at this price point to pocket the equity and not look back.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,474
    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    Lol, happy to exit at this price point to pocket the equity and not look back.
    I would too. Let us know how it went when you pulled the trigger.

    Good luck.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAMember Posts: 13,087
    Pay it forward by selling below market value.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    Lol, happy to exit at this price point to pocket the equity and not look back.
    I would too. Let us know how it went when you pulled the trigger.

    Good luck.

    jmonroe
    Done deal. Here is the data point.
    Original MSRP: $44,100
    Selling price: $46,200

    Could have done a little better, but Mercedes Benz currently restricts third-party dealers from buying out their leases. I only had two options who would accept a lessor-released title.
    The total came to $8,700 over my payoff. Happy with the outcome.
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,474
    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    Lol, happy to exit at this price point to pocket the equity and not look back.
    I would too. Let us know how it went when you pulled the trigger.

    Good luck.

    jmonroe
    Done deal. Here is the data point.
    Original MSRP: $44,100
    Selling price: $46,200

    Could have done a little better, but Mercedes Benz currently restricts third-party dealers from buying out their leases. I only had two options who would accept a lessor-released title.
    The total came to $8,700 over my payoff. Happy with the outcome.
    Congratulations. That’s not too bad for a days work. Now the question…what are you going to do with that windfall?

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tj11119tj11119 Guest, Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    tj11119 said:

    qbrozen said:

    About $48k

    That is crazy, the original MSRP was 44k and I didn't pay anything near that.
    Thank you
    If you feel guilty about that, you can always sell it for less. ;)

    jmonroe
    Lol, happy to exit at this price point to pocket the equity and not look back.
    I would too. Let us know how it went when you pulled the trigger.

    Good luck.

    jmonroe
    Done deal. Here is the data point.
    Original MSRP: $44,100
    Selling price: $46,200

    Could have done a little better, but Mercedes Benz currently restricts third-party dealers from buying out their leases. I only had two options who would accept a lessor-released title.
    The total came to $8,700 over my payoff. Happy with the outcome.
    Congratulations. That’s not too bad for a days work. Now the question…what are you going to do with that windfall?

    jmonroe
    The only option looks like a Wrangler 4xe if the BBB legislation permits.
  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53

    Hello - can you help me with an auction value on my vehicle?

    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X
    4x4 with 5.7 V8
    12,000 miles
    Advanced Active Safety Group
    Pano Sunroof
    Premium Sound
    Full size spare

    ZIP is 80104

    Thank you

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895
    edited December 2021

    @therealbofa said:
    Hello - can you help me with an auction value on my vehicle?

    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X
    4x4 with 5.7 V8
    12,000 miles
    Advanced Active Safety Group
    Pano Sunroof
    Premium Sound
    Full size spare

    ZIP is 80104

    Thank you

    Damned nice vehicle!
    Assuming no runs, hits, errors,
    $44k-$45k

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53

    @qbrozen said:

    @therealbofa said:
    Hello - can you help me with an auction value on my vehicle?

    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X
    4x4 with 5.7 V8
    12,000 miles
    Advanced Active Safety Group
    Pano Sunroof
    Premium Sound
    Full size spare

    ZIP is 80104

    Thank you

    Damned nice vehicle!
    Assuming no runs, hits, errors,
    $44k-$45k

    That would be amazing. Thank you!

    It really is a nice ride - we had to go bigger for road trips though. Maybe this will ease the pain of paying full MSRP on the Yukon :D

  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53

    @qbrozen said:

    @therealbofa said:
    Hello - can you help me with an auction value on my vehicle?

    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X
    4x4 with 5.7 V8
    12,000 miles
    Advanced Active Safety Group
    Pano Sunroof
    Premium Sound
    Full size spare

    ZIP is 80104

    Thank you

    Damned nice vehicle!
    Assuming no runs, hits, errors,
    $44k-$45k

    Thanks again for the estimate. Carmax wouldn’t go above 41 but still did well on it.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 204,717

    @qbrozen said:

    @therealbofa said:

    Hello - can you help me with an auction value on my vehicle?

    2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited X

    4x4 with 5.7 V8

    12,000 miles

    Advanced Active Safety Group

    Pano Sunroof

    Premium Sound

    Full size spare

    ZIP is 80104

    Thank you

    Damned nice vehicle!

    Assuming no runs, hits, errors,

    $44k-$45k

    Thanks again for the estimate. Carmax wouldn’t go above 41 but still did well on it.


    Did you try Vroom or Carvana?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895
    Michaell said:



    Did you try Vroom or Carvana?

    Not to mention Autolenders and Autonation.
    There are others, but usually at least one of those 5 steps up.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53

    @Michaell said:
    Did you try Vroom or Carvana?

    Caravana’s offer was even worse… $35K. It’s a lease and Vroom stopped doing those recently apparently.

  • therealbofatherealbofa Member Posts: 53

    @qbrozen said:
    Not to mention Autolenders and Autonation.
    There are others, but usually at least one of those 5 steps up.

    Haven’t heard of Autolenders but should have hit up the AutoNation Jeep. Wife was getting cranky and wanted it to be done with. If I had my way I would have hit up every option south of Denver.

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,650
    AutoLenders is a local chain in South Jersey (outside Philly). I should check, but never heard of them being elsewhere.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 204,717

    @qbrozen said:

    Not to mention Autolenders and Autonation.

    There are others, but usually at least one of those 5 steps up.

    Haven’t heard of Autolenders but should have hit up the AutoNation Jeep. Wife was getting cranky and wanted it to be done with. If I had my way I would have hit up every option south of Denver.


    Echo Park on Arapahoe?

    Or, is it to late?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52

    I know that the used car market is so inflated now but I am still looking for a deal on a SUV.

    What do you think about 2018 Land Rover Discovery Sport SE with 56k miles and 360 view camera option for $27k?
    How much was it selling for last year?

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,650
    at this time, it actually seems better to buy new. Weird as that sounds. IMO.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,764
    The used car market inflated by 31% nationally, according to published data, so it's probably reasonable to estimate that the same car would list for around $21,000 a year ago (assuming all things equal, like it was a 2017 versus a 2018 in December 2020).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2021

    How about a 2018 Jaguar F Pace with 60k miles for $33k? It is a fair deal or too inflated?

    Its located in south Florida. White exterior, black interior. 3.0T engine. Mint condition. Its a Premium Sport Utility 30t trim.

  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoModerator Posts: 204,717
    magnumek said:

    How about a 2018 Jaguar F Pace with 60k miles for $33k? It is a fair deal or too inflated?

    Location?
    Color - inside and out?
    Engine?
    Condition?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52

    @Michaell said:
    Location?
    Color - inside and out?
    Engine?
    Condition?

    Its located in south Florida. White exterior, black interior. 3.0T engine. Mint condition. Its a Premium Sport Utility 30t trim.

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895

    @magnumek said:

    @Michaell said:
    Location?
    Color - inside and out?
    Engine?
    Condition?

    Its located in south Florida. White exterior, black interior. 3.0T engine. Mint condition. Its a Premium Sport Utility 30t trim.

    That is cheap if clean carfax. Might want to get it checked out. If it needs nothing, I would get over $34k at dealer auction.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52
    I pulled a carfax and looks like it had a front damage but it has been fully repaired. Also, I made a mistake in the engine, its not a 3.0 but a 2.0 I4. Its an AWD. Title is clean.
    Is it still considered a good price for this vehicle?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 30,895
    magnumek said:

    I pulled a carfax and looks like it had a front damage but it has been fully repaired. Also, I made a mistake in the engine, its not a 3.0 but a 2.0 I4. Its an AWD. Title is clean.
    Is it still considered a good price for this vehicle?

    Oh boy. A dirty carfax on a luxo car makes a BIG difference, IMHO. And, yes, I figured out the engine. It is labeled as a 30 vs the bigger engine as a 35, though, so it made sense to me.

    Anyway, "front damage" is vague. I can only give you info based on assumptions. Let's say no metal was replaced. I'd still ding it about 10-15%. Normally 20, but the market is nuts, so I'll try to compensate. That puts us down around $30k ... maybe $31k at auction. That would make $33k a fair retail number. I'd urge you to get it checked, though, and make sure it was repaired properly and no panels have been replaced. If so, just walk away. It isn't worth it.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c, '21 WRX, '20 S90 T6, '22 4xE. 62-car history and counting! MB Sprinter and '92 Nissan Gloria on the way!

  • magnumekmagnumek Member Posts: 52
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply! The guy agreed to sell it for $32k if I buy it today, I think I'll pull the trigger.

    Looks like it was originally owned by a rental company for a year, that is when the accident took place.
    Carfax does not say if it was a minor or major accident but lists is as:
    - Damage to front
    - Functional damage reported
    - Airbags did not deploy
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaMember Posts: 15,764
    magnumek said:

    Thank you so much for the detailed reply! The guy agreed to sell it for $32k if I buy it today, I think I'll pull the trigger.

    Looks like it was originally owned by a rental company for a year, that is when the accident took place.
    Carfax does not say if it was a minor or major accident but lists is as:
    - Damage to front
    - Functional damage reported
    - Airbags did not deploy

    "Functional damage" means it interfered with the ability of the car to operate at the time of the collision. That could be a bent wheel or a punctured radiator or something even more significant; hard to say. As Q noted, though, you'd be very well served on this one to get a PPI before making a final decision.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Pittsburgh areaMember Posts: 4,474
    As a result of the bad engine in Son #1’s 2016 Kia van with 110K miles (just out of warranty) he has decided to buy a 2010 Infinity EX 35 with the 3.6 V6 engine.

    The car is at a Jeep dealer in Niagara Falls and they want $14,750 for it. He’s having it inspected by a company that does this and he’s waiting for their report as I write this. This is all I know about it other than the price:

    (1) By the time they deliver it to his house (of course it will be driven by a retired guy. They never hire hot rodding kids) it will have a tick under 39K miles. This will cost him 200 bucks.

    (2) One owner car with EXTENSIVE service documents. The car was only serviced at the selling Infinity dealer and some oil changes (full synthetic) only had 2K miles at 5 months.

    (3) Clean Car Fax

    (4) No dents and only a few small scratches (he saw about 25 pics). The salesman thinks other than a scratch on the lower right of the rear bumper all of the scratches can be buffed out.

    (5) Charcoal Gray over Black

    (6) The dealer will do all required fluid changes and my Son insisted on a full synthetic oil change even though the oil only has 2,400 miles on it but it was last changed about 7 months ago.

    A local dealer has almost the same car but a 2011 with 93K miles on it and they want $18,700 for it. Based on that and a few others he saw on line he thinks it’s a pretty good deal.

    What do you think?

    FWIW, even if Kia will do all or some “goodwill” repair he’s still going to get rid of the van since he no longer needs a beast that size. This is the perfect excuse for him to get rid of the van since he never liked vans to begin with.

    Thanks.

    jmonroe
    '15 Genesis just like jmonroe, '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTMember Posts: 17,328
    edited December 2021

    (1) By the time they deliver it to his house (of course it will be driven by a retired guy. They never hire hot rodding kids OR OLDFARMER50) it will have a tick under 39K miles. This will cost him 200 bucks. :D
    2020 Ford Explorer XLT
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 45,650
    those are nice cars. Lousy MPG but quick and comfy. And that certainly sounds like a nice one. Pricing these days, just close your eyes on that.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD , 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Ecoboost FWD.

Sign In or Register to comment.