Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    One thought....is it just me or does anyone else find most Dodge Caravan drivers can be about the most annoying. They are usually very slow, change lanes without looking, seem to be driving on another planet. :@
    (note, I didn't say all in case someone has one :p )

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    seems to me like most Caravans are rentals or fleet vehicles of some sort.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited October 2021

@driver100 said:
    @jipster
    Glad you are liking the Accord. It seems those little rattles can happen in almost any car....sometimes only at a certain speed or at a certain temperature. Sometimes it can be something in the console, the ashtray, the pockets on the doors etc and not be the car. Once it was Mrs D100s sunglasses that were in her door pocket.....they are hard ones in the E400.
    Blown tire isn't fun but you probably only had to replace one....or could it be fixed?
    And, I don't have to say it, it probably would have happened no matter what car you were driving.

I've listened, put hands on different areas of dash...speakers...can't find the rattle. Which is weird as rattle sounds as if it is right in front of me. A few other owners have made similar complaints on a Honda Accord forum. A few saying noise actually originates above floor board in knee airbag territory. Don't know about that. I'll find that noise...one of these days. :smile:

That blown tire couldn't be fixed. Didn't want to waste a couple days of vacation messing with it (by ordering a new matching Hankook tire) so bought a cheap tire, replaced it when I got home. Thought about getting the new tire shaved down to match the other front tire, but guy at a brake and alignment shop said it wasn't a big deal as the mileage wasn't that high on the blown tire.

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Turn up the radio. That can make the rattle disappear!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,254
    @jipster,
    You can let some air out of the new tire to get the circumference closer to the other tires. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Well looks like I'm going to get a large amount of money very soon. In the space of a week I got half dozen or so emails all from different people looking to move millions (each a different amount of between 10 and 30 million dollars) and if I help them I could get a good portion of the money. I did reply to one who in the email to me said that I should send him my information plus a photo copy of my license so I sent him this:

The scary thing is the guy replied giving me further instructions.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

LoL stick. Thx Explorer. B)

2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    edited October 2021
    driver100 said:

One thought....is it just me or does anyone else find most Dodge Caravan drivers can be about the most annoying. They are usually very slow, change lanes without looking, seem to be driving on another planet. :@

I thought that was MB drivers? ;) Dodge doesn’t make the Caravan any more. Now, they have various forms of the Pacifica (also called Voyager). We use them as our chase vehicle. Roomy, comfortable and with a torquey 3.6L.

None of our drivers would be considered slow.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

stickguy said:

Turn up the radio. That can make the rattle disappear!

Some Mustangs in the 2005-2010 vintage had annoying squeaks near the dashboard caused by too tight a fit. The fix was to shove a small piece of felt or rubber between the dash and A pillar.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Long post follows.
    We've been looking for a house in Ohio and a couple of weeks ago when we were out there, we looked at a bunch of houses.
    We were considering a new build in a development and after looking at the site plan, there were a couple lots for sale and another lot not available yet.
    After getting back home, we asked the salesperson to let us know when the 'not yet available lot' would open up.
    Over the course of the next week, we asked a bunch of questions about the specs and options.
    My wife and I went over the option sheet and pretty much agreed on what we wanted.
    There were lots of upgrade/customization decisions left to be made, but we figured if we expressed interest, the lot might open up.
    Salesperson responded that another agent had gotten the lot opened up and a deposit was in hand.
    My wife was really pissed. I was kind of ambivalent, as the builder wasn't my first choice.
    I guessing we would have had up to 125k in upgrades over the 326k base price.
    Realtor sent us a listing today that is much more expensive but supposedly has 90k in upgrades, several structural(extra insulation, etc..).
    Realtor is going to facetime us tomorrow on a walkthrough. We'll see what happens.
    I'm guessing the wallet is going to have to open up, but you never know.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    @jipster She got married? Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Long post follows.
    We've been looking for a house in Ohio and a couple of weeks ago when we were out there, we looked at a bunch of houses.
    We were considering a new build in a development and after looking at the site plan, there were a couple lots for sale and another lot not available yet.
    After getting back home, we asked the salesperson to let us know when the 'not yet available lot' would open up.
    Over the course of the next week, we asked a bunch of questions about the specs and options.
    My wife and I went over the option sheet and pretty much agreed on what we wanted.
    There were lots of upgrade/customization decisions left to be made, but we figured if we expressed interest, the lot might open up.
    Salesperson responded that another agent had gotten the lot opened up and a deposit was in hand.
    My wife was really pissed. I was kind of ambivalent, as the builder wasn't my first choice.
    I guessing we would have had up to 125k in upgrades over the 326k base price.
    Realtor sent us a listing today that is much more expensive but supposedly has 90k in upgrades, several structural(extra insulation, etc..).
    Realtor is going to facetime us tomorrow on a walkthrough. We'll see what happens.
    I'm guessing the wallet is going to have to open up, but you never know.

When we got our home we wanted to get one of the lots on the lake (for flood control they have to have retainage ponds and so much open space per set area of built up space) but the lots weren't open yet. We told the sales lady to let us know when the lots were opened for sale and we would come and get one. The sales lady asked us which lot we wanted and she pulled some strings and got the lot we wanted opened right there and then. Turns out that later that month they did a price increase the day before they opened the lots for sale. We saved almost $5K because they opened that lot for us early.

@snakeweaswl,
    The salesperson never said 'What will it take to sell you a lot today?". :D
    Ex, I know the feeling. When we went up and looked around in NY we saw some new neighborhoods (thought about ordering to get something next year). None were exactly what we wanted, and the base prices were already pretty steep for the SF (but of course, everything was brand new). But, we never got to the options stage, and I know that would have been painful once the wife got going. Our agent said for what we were looking at (and these were higher end builders with pretty good standard feature packages) to still budget IIRC about $50k on upgrades, though you could certainly spend more.

at this point we are going to look to sell and immediately buy, so back to resales (or if we get lucky, a spec house). though finding one that somebody bought and spent a fortune on upgrading but had to leave after on a few years can easily be the best financial deal.

Basically what TJC just did!

@stickguy,
    The house we are going to have the realtor tour for us is new but already built. The pictures look good. HA HA. It looks like a newer neighborhood.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

at this point we are going to look to sell and immediately buy, so back to resales (or if we get lucky, a spec house). though finding one that somebody bought and spent a fortune on upgrading but had to leave after on a few years can easily be the best financial deal.

Basically what TJC just did!

That's what happened with our last house. Previous owners bought the house new, had it for 2 years, then got transferred out of state so they had to sell quickly.

We paid list price, but the house has gone up probably 20% in value in the 3.5 years we've been here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

we bought our house like that (27 years ago though). Just finished neighborhood, and ours was early build so just under 4 years old. Sold for about what they paid for it (maybe 10K more) but came with a bunch of expensive stuff they did. Blinds, shed, huge deck, landscaping, and various other stuff I can't recall.

would love to do that again.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,090
    stickguy said:

we bought our house like that (27 years ago though). Just finished neighborhood, and ours was early build so just under 4 years old. Sold for about what they paid for it (maybe 10K more) but came with a bunch of expensive stuff they did. Blinds, shed, huge deck, landscaping, and various other stuff I can't recall.

Oh, we still spent a bunch of money after we moved in - custom window coverings and closet systems being the two biggest things. Poured a concrete path down the side of the house. Replaced the garage door opener. Added a storm door.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

yeah, we did stuff too of course, but at least, some of the big ticket stuff was out of the way! We both do like new but I am fine with gently used but in a nice neighborhood too.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    driver100 said:

I notice those vehicles because of having rented one for our son's wedding 3 years ago. Huge cargo capability in those. But the drivers seem better than average. it's the Honda/Toyota folks in the large hearse-like vans that tend to drive really sloppily.

The stereotype of who is driving those may vary greatly with the area in which one lives. But the van we rented drove so nicely with a strong but economical engine, I've always remembered that when I notice one. Had one today pass me on the way to Chick Fil A (that rhymes).

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,463

Well looks like I'm going to get a large amount of money very soon. In the space of a week I got half dozen or so emails all from different people looking to move millions (each a different amount of between 10 and 30 million dollars) and if I help them I could get a good portion of the money. I did reply to one who in the email to me said that I should send him my information plus a photo copy of my license so I sent him this:

So I guess you ARE going to get some big money. If any of us in here ever said anything to get you upset, forget it, we were just having some fun with ya.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    I'm still kind of hoping for a resale in another neighborhood we saw when looking at houses a couple of weeks ago.
    Wife doesn't really want to wait. 2nd grandchild out there will be born in a few months.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited October 2021
    @benjaminh
    I have been looking at tires on cars going through the double ordering line when we eat lunch at Chick Fil A. We always sit next to the windows to watch the cars and the people.

Out of maybe a thousand or more cars that must have gone through since you bought the Michelin Cross Country tires, I've not noticed one that had them, until today. It was a Ford Fusion of the latest style but a few years on it that had a set on it.

The sample of cars is NOT normal. Many are cars driven by folks who won't be driving in several inches of snow. Many of the vehicles are cars that have to get to work in fairly deep snow conditions and those folks are driving Jeeps and other vehicles with 4-wheel capability or large pickup trucks. They already have a tire that is snow capable.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

driver100 said:

I thought that was MB drivers? ;) Dodge doesn’t make the Caravan any more. Now, they have various forms of the Pacifica (also called Voyager). We use them as our chase vehicle. Roomy, comfortable and with a torquey 3.6L.

Pacifica seem to be OK.....it is the older Caravan....a lot are used by hockey, soccer, baseball etc Moms.

jmonroe1 said:

So I guess you ARE going to get some big money. If any of us in here ever said anything to get you upset, forget it, we were just having some fun with ya.

jmonroe
    He's going to share it with posters who have 10000 or more posts. Sorry! :'(

driver100 said:

I notice those vehicles because of having rented one for our son's wedding 3 years ago. Huge cargo capability in those. But the drivers seem better than average. it's the Honda/Toyota folks in the large hearse-like vans that tend to drive really sloppily.

The stereotype of who is driving those may vary greatly with the area in which one lives. But the van we rented drove so nicely with a strong but economical engine, I've always remembered that when I notice one. Had one today pass me on the way to Chick Fil A (that rhymes).

I found they weren't bad for a van type of car for drivability. It just seems that when I am in a hurry, often a person in one of those Caravans or Voyagers I guess is often in the way, dawdling along, or slowly changing lanes and impeding the flow of traffic. Some drive fast or normal, but only about 20% of them.

@kyfdx said:

Yes. Thx. May 30th. Married a nice guy too...a lawyer. So if you ever get into any trouble.... :smile:

driver100 said:

The Caravan was Dodge which dropped it a short while ago. The Pacifica is from Chrysler and the Voyager was Plymouth.

jipster said:

@kyfdx said:

Yes. Thx. May 30th. Married a nice guy too...a lawyer. So if you ever get into any trouble.... :smile:

So I’m sure he’s told you by now that’s it’s illegal to pack a lunch when going to buy a car now.

Congrats on you daughters wedding. I guess you won’t be buying wheels anytime soon. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

@imidazol97 said:
    @benjaminh
    I have been looking at tires on cars going through the double ordering line when we eat lunch at Chick Fil A. We always sit next to the windows to watch the cars and the people.

Out of maybe a thousand or more cars that must have gone through since you bought the Michelin Cross Country tires, I've not noticed one that had them, until today. It was a Ford Fusion of the latest style but a few years on it that had a set on it.

The sample of cars is NOT normal. Many are cars driven by folks who won't be driving in several inches of snow. Many of the vehicles are cars that have to get to work in fairly deep snow conditions and those folks are driving Jeeps and other vehicles with 4-wheel capability or large pickup trucks. They already have a tire that is snow capable.

You ever see any Vredestein tires? I haven't. Think I may go with them when it's time to replace the Accords OEM Hankook tires. The Vredestein tires have really good reviews. Seems it would be a good fit for the Accord.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    jipster said:

@imidazol97 said:
    @benjaminh

You ever see any Vredestein tires? I haven't. Think I may go with them when it's time to replace the Accords OEM Hankook tires. The Vredestein tires have really good reviews. Seems it would be a good fit for the Accord.

I have Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on the Clubman. The Quatrac 5 was one of the newer Grand Touring tires to combine all-season capability with the 3PMSF winter tire capability. I'm very happy with all aspects of their performance.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Vredestein tires have been getting really good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGGCXmWfjI&t=386s
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)

driver100 said:

The Caravan was Dodge which dropped it a short while ago. The Pacifica is from Chrysler and the Voyager was Plymouth.
    I'm not sure if it is a Caravan or a Voyager that is the slower moving one that somehow gets in front of me and dawdles ;) Not a Pacifica...they seem to keep up with traffic.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852

Ok> @stickguy said:

We so lucked out on our house. The original owners poured so much into this place and didn’t stay long enough to get it out (2 years) They checked every single option box except for the bonus room over the garage which with a finished basement you don’t need.

They also left a fancy washer/dryer and a smart fridge along with custom wood slat blinds in every window.

The only thing we had to do is the white vinyl fence which wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be.

Moral of the story is (IMO) if you are custom building don’t pack on the options unless you are planning on staying awhile.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I think that is true of most items. The original owner checks and pays for all the options. It makes it appealing to the next owner yet it isn’t fully reflected in the price as they don’t want to pay for them.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Same with cars. Buy new with all the overpriced gadgets, and take a bath at trade in since they aren’t worth anything.

driver100 said:

Some of the minivans we use look like the new Pacifica style but have a Voyager badge on them. I assume that’s a lower trim level of the series since we’ve noticed that the Voyager trim doesn’t have upgrades like multiple charging ports as the Pacifica trim does. Now that you got me thinking I’ll have to go look it up.

@benjaminh

Did you mean Cross Climate tires because I don’t see a Cross Country tire at Michelin? I started thinking about replacement tires for my Kia as winter approaches. It only has 15k miles on the OEM all seasons but I’m thinking of upgrading to something with better snow performance. Michelin lists the Cross Climate2 as having a “severe snow” rating.

I got the Michelin CrossClimate2 for my car and I really like it. Here's a 2-minute video from Michelin about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lNW23aueg&t=31s
    benjaminh said:

I got the Michelin CrossClimate2 for my car and I really like it. Here's a 2-minute video from Michelin about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lNW23aueg&t=31s

Thanks for that. I need an all seasons with decent snow performance rather than switching out for snow tires every winter or spending extra for AWD.

the Vredestein all season is snowflake rated too.

edited October 2021

We traded houses with my mother in 1992; since then we’ve added a deck, replaced all of the windows and exterior doors, finished 3/4 of the basement, knocked out the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and family room, and remodeled all three bathrooms as well as the mud/utility room.
    Of greater importance to me, I have a 5.1 HTS in the basement with a 50” Kuro Elite and a 7.1 HTS in the family room with a 75” 4K Sony LED.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited October 2021

Thanks for that. I need an all seasons with decent snow performance rather than switching out for snow tires every winter or spending extra for AWD.

If you have a Costco membership these CC2 tires can be a good deal when Costco does their $150 off sale. My latest flier from them said they were doing another Michelin sale in November. One thing to watch out for though is that the CC2 tires are popular and often go out of stock. I got mine the first day of their last sale, and then a few days after that they were out of stock for about a month.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited October 2021

Of greater importance to me, I have a 5.1 HTS in the basement with a 50” Kuro Elite and a 7.1 HTS in the family room with a 75” 4K Sony LED.

Indeed. These are the important details.

We have the dedicated movie room and a nice sound bar with surround in our bedroom but I’m slacking in the family room. Need to work on that

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

@roadburner said:
    We traded houses with my mother in 1992; since then we’ve added a deck, replaced all of the windows and exterior doors, finished 3/4 of the basement, knocked out the load-bearing wall between the kitchen and family room, and remodeled all three bathrooms as well as the mud/utility room.

It sounds like you live in a nicely upgraded noisy place. :s

jmonroe

@jmonroe1 said:

@roadburner said:

It sounds like you live in a nicely upgraded noisy place. :s

jmonroe

I can’t watch a movie at reference levels if my wife is trying to sleep- even though the bedroom is on the second floor at the opposite end of the house. The upside is that it sounds better than any non IMAX theater in my area.

edited October 2021
    The nearest Costco to me is 75 miles away so that’s a no go. Sometimes Sam’s Club has rebate offers on Michelin so I can wait until something comes along. Tire Rack lists them for $175.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    As we reviewed neighborhoods in the tony (until we move in, then will be known as "once-tony...") development in Plymouth, one national builder of marginal repute told us to put aside 10% of the base purchase price for upgrades.
    The townhouse that we're building, we've added ~8% to the MSRP. Of course, we still need to add washer/dryer and window treatments. And, things only she will think of...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

We did a video tour of the house we were interested in with the realtor today.
    Looked great as it did in the pictures.
    Didn't like that the master bedroom area was over the garage and on a corner lot.
    Was able to take a tour of a house about to close that we liked much better for us.
    There is an open lot a couples houses away, so we are in the process of putting down a deposit.
    It's in the same development as we looked at and liked before, but a different builder.
    I had a corner lot. Kinda liked it (fewer neighbors), other than the extra sidewalk to shovel!

that house also had the master over the garage, but it was never an issue. I don't think I ever noticed. About the only issue could be hearing the garage door opener running.

if you are building new, congrats. Takes longer but get exactly what you want, and they always smell nice!