Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Traverse Stabilitrak/Traction Control problems

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    JMBnomorechevyJMBnomorechevy Member Posts: 1

I don't know what is the issue with this vehicle? First I had to replace the whole engine due to the timing chain exploding at 100k miles (which is a well known issue with these apparently)... now the stabilitrak issue. I've read so many things on this issue, and there are so many things it could be! Where do I even start? I haven't seen this from the posts though. Mine started the day I put some fuel injection cleaner in my gas tank. It happened for a week or so, then went away. And of course now that it's 20 degrees out out came back on, and way worse! I recently had my cv boots repaired due to a grinding sound that I assumed was a warped rotor. The brakes were in great shape but the rubber boots were shredded. This did not fix the grinding issue. So maybe it's the throttle body and the sensor? What an amazing mess this vehicle is! I WILL NEVER BUY GM AGAIN! good luck to the rest of you though.

PS. GM's corporate complaint department is 100% worthless. I registered a complaint on the timing chain, and when I went to follow up on it they had no record of it. This happened twice. Then they said it was not a known issue and they couldn't do anything about it. The internet is full of complaints about that issue. They all need to be fired.

• Options
    eddieg61eddieg61 Member Posts: 2

@jlg7 said:
    Has anyone experienced your 2011 Traverse having a sudden loss of power and loss of acceleration followed by error messages for both the traction control and stabilitrak systems?? This is the 4th trip to the dealer when for my car lossing all power following by the above error messages. There is no warning only ding.ding..ding and loss of power!! The dealer has said it was a sensor problem, then tried taking out the transmission and working on its sensors, and today they say it is a throttle body issue. Help! Has anyone else had this issue and what finally fixed your car?? Thank you for your help! My car has been having this issue for the past 8 months and has about 65,000 miles. Prior to this there were no big issues or problems with the car.

See also: GM StabiliTrak Problems Troubleshooting Guide

• Options
    eddieg61eddieg61 Member Posts: 2

Had the same at 115K on my 2010. Replaced the throttle body with a Bosch brand. Second day - no issues. Cost only $180 from Advance Auto Parts

• Options
    hummingbird71hummingbird71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Chevy Traverse and the same issues! However my car has 120,000+ miles. Been to the mechanic several times. They check the history for the errors, said a tune up should fix it.. IT DIDN'T! It's still happening. I have been hoping someone would be able to tell me how to get this issue fixed. It just happened this morning too! I also noticed that afterwards when my vehicle shifts down when I am braking its a rough transition to the next gear. The light for the engine flashes for about 30 seconds then goes off and the traction control turns back on but during that my engine feels like it is stuttering and I am not able to accelerate much. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    DburbDburb Member Posts: 1

@Mr_Shiftright said:
    Intermittent problems of this type are a big challenge for the automotive technician. Here's an overview of what's involved in trying to deal with "intermittents"

https://www.communityautoinc.com/blog/diagnosing-intermittent-car-problems

As you can see, it's a bit like chasing a ghost, and there's no easy way out. It's one of those rare cases where you HOPE the car will break down so that the culprit will finally reveal itself.

The article points out a strategy which really amounts to not much more than guessing--to replace the most likely offender. In your case, that might be the throttle positioning sensor, or the wiring or connector that goes to it, or the pedal positioning sensor (under the gas pedal).

Otherwise, the only surefire solution is to have the car break down while the technician has his equipment hooked up to it.

I have 2014 Chevy traverse and I had the same stabilitrack issue. After taking it in and out of the shop and being right there while they try to pull codes when it was actually showing. Nothing really popped up just general codes. Finally the mechanic looked at the brake pedal and saw that it was not returning fully into an up position after letting off. He said the bushing was worn and they don't create or rather manufacture new pedals. Put a couple of springs on there so that the brake returns and didn't have a problem since. Still looking in the junkyard to see if there's viable replacement brake pedals.