Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    edited August 2022
    Those of you who have dogs that shed know that it is next to impossible to get dog hair out of carpet and seat back once it imbeds itself. My Dad has a 10 year old Great Dane that travels back and forth to work with him every day. She's Harlequin colored (White with Black Spots) and sheds a lot. She stands up in the car and the roof gets dirty. I discovered by google searching and watching some detailer videos a couple things that work incredibly well. 1st is a FurZ-OFF pet hair remover. Looks like a pumice stone, but is actually compressed glass. Lightly mist some Diluted Fabric Softener in water and run this over your carpeting. Then brush with a silicone or rubber bristle brush. I couldn't believe the results. I used Griot's Interior Cleaner and a lot of elbow grease to clean the roof. Came out good.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    corvette said:

The Prius threw a red triangle of death light this morning and the ICE would not shut off. The hybrid battery was showing the lowest charge level and the battery cooling fan would not stop running. I guess my cheap fix of replacing a single module didn’t last very long. Backed it into the garage and going to pull codes when I get home from work.

Is it still running in the garage? Going for a total loss fire insurance claim? :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

edited August 2022

Here’s a shot of the carpeting when I 1st started. Left side is close to 100% hairless.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Doesn’t the Fur-Zoff leave particles of glass dust?
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Really in love with Mrs. B's red Mini Cooper to be honest. Showed one to my wife and she said it's way too small but I think it's just perfect! Big enough for me as I drive it alone most of the time and will have no issue fitting on my side of the garage. What's there not to like here?
    Think for the right price, I'd have no issue sending the current Golf onto it's new home! Hope the Breld's are reading this post as I'm seriously in lust for their new M C!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    breld is taking deposits I hear.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I did some research today, here are the options I can find:
    1. Aftermarket NiMH battery packs which use cylindrical cells instead of prismatic cells, supposedly equivalent in quality to OEM. Seller/manufacturer seems very competent but also doesn't have the best bedside manner: approx. $1,800, I'd have to install it. Available to ship within a week or so. 2 year warranty.
    2. Aftermarket lithium ion conversion: approx. $2,200, I'd have to install it. Available to ship next month. 2 year warranty. I have concerns about putting lithium ion in a vehicle which wasn't designed for it, but the people who have this upgrade seem to really like it.
    3. Aftermarket rebuilt battery, sketchy seller with fake Google reviews which was recently acquired by a very large aftermarket parts company: approx. $1,700, they install pretty much nationwide. That price includes a lifetime warranty, which apparently, you will need. Many of the legitimate reviews indicate that the battery was DOA or required replacement within a couple of months, then they were fine for a year or so. No issues I could find with honoring the warranty.
    4. Local-ish battery rebuilder, same rebuilder who rebuilt my pack (for the car's previous owner) before it failed 11 months later: approx. $950, they install. 6 month full warranty and an additional 6 months prorated, but the terms of the warranty state it's invalid if you have CEL, which my car does, due to a worn out catalytic converter. I'd expect you'd have to have the pack rebuilt every year or so, just after the warranty expires.
    5. OEM Toyota battery, unsure of cost, but very likely higher than all of the above, and some dealers may not want to sell the part alone. There are some vague references to the dealerships expecting the core back within 24 hours, which is doable, but also very annoying. 3 year warranty.

I like the idea of free lifetime replacements, but my time and inconvenience is worth something. To me, it's a toss-up between 1 and 2. Any thoughts?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,271

@Sandman6472 said:
    Really in love with Mrs. B's red Mini Cooper to be honest. Showed one to my wife and she said it's way too small but I think it's just perfect! Big enough for me as I drive it alone most of the time and will have no issue fitting on my side of the garage. What's there not to like here?
    Think for the right price, I'd have no issue sending the current Golf onto it's new home! Hope the Breld's are reading this post as I'm seriously in lust for their new M C!!

It’s got the looks, ride and handling that you like. It has the maintenance costs that you won’t like.

@corvette said:
    I did some research today, here are the options I can find:
    1. Aftermarket NiMH battery packs which use cylindrical cells instead of prismatic cells, supposedly equivalent in quality to OEM. Seller/manufacturer seems very competent but also doesn't have the best bedside manner: approx. $1,800, I'd have to install it. Available to ship within a week or so. 2 year warranty.
    2. Aftermarket lithium ion conversion: approx. $2,200, I'd have to install it. Available to ship next month. 2 year warranty. I have concerns about putting lithium ion in a vehicle which wasn't designed for it, but the people who have this upgrade seem to really like it.
    3. Aftermarket rebuilt battery, sketchy seller with fake Google reviews which was recently acquired by a very large aftermarket parts company: approx. $1,700, they install pretty much nationwide. That price includes a lifetime warranty, which apparently, you will need. Many of the legitimate reviews indicate that the battery was DOA or required replacement within a couple of months, then they were fine for a year or so. No issues I could find with honoring the warranty.
    4. Local-ish battery rebuilder, same rebuilder who rebuilt my pack (for the car's previous owner) before it failed 11 months later: approx. $950, they install. 6 month full warranty and an additional 6 months prorated, but the terms of the warranty state it's invalid if you have CEL, which my car does, due to a worn out catalytic converter. I'd expect you'd have to have the pack rebuilt every year or so, just after the warranty expires.
    5. OEM Toyota battery, unsure of cost, but very likely higher than all of the above, and some dealers may not want to sell the part alone. There are some vague references to the dealerships expecting the core back within 24 hours, which is doable, but also very annoying. 3 year warranty.

I like the idea of free lifetime replacements, but my time and inconvenience is worth something. To me, it's a toss-up between 1 and 2. Any thoughts?

It depends on your time frame. I’d do #1 if time matters. I’d do #2 otherwise

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Yep, was thinking about that but part of me wants to try & duplicate what I have right now which I can no longer get. Basically, I still want fun but also at an affordable price point. But, as much as I want "cheap to keep", think the fun factor will weigh out in the end. Funny, I just left the local Mini Cooper store about 8 minutes from my house, and their inventory is super slim. And they have an ADM figure on every vehicle, a real turn off for me. Did drive a Countryman at work about a month ago & liked it. I know it's something I can live with as don't drive much now & know I can keep it a good eight to ten years.
    The color combo of the Breld's vehicle is just perfect, the size is just perfect for my garage space. Just haven't driven one like it as I know it's a bit lower to the ground than the Countryman. Time will tell I'm sure as that could be the kicker for me. Would like to seriously buy something but later in 2023 to be honest. But all depends on their plans going forward. I know whatever I do I won't get a positive reaction here at home. That's just a given. With the VW, I waited until we got the Audi to seriously consider dumping the Tucson. The timing just worked out where I knew the SUV was going, just wasn't sure when. Think we took delivery on December 1st of the A3 and I went to the VW store on the 2nd for a test drive. Within 5 minutes, I knew I'd be owning one...eventually. But, went home to give it some thought. A week later, I was back with a CarMax price in hand just in case things got real. After another test drive and an o k to swap out the alloys, we got down to money. Naturally, they hit theirs with only a slight discount & hit mine at a low number. Take out my CarMax sheet and say they gotta match it or I'm going to sell it to them & come back even though I really wanted the lower sales tax by trading in to them. Luckily, they matched the price and into finance I went. This was a Thursday afternoon & delivery was scheduled for the next day.
    Never looked back even though there was a few weeks until they resolved the alloy rims situation. And at just shy of eight years ownership, still enjoying the ride!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    There was some movement on my ordered VW ID.4 today.

I signed into the customer portal to check the order status and was greeted with the message that my allocation has been bumped to a 2023 model. OK, no big surprise there; there have been a couple of articles about the changes for 2023.

I was asked to resubmit a new configuration, which wouldn't affect my place in line.

The original color we picked (Moonstone Grey) is no longer available, so we chose Tourmaline Blue, a darker shade of blue than was previously available.

We also upgraded the package to the Pro S Plus AWD, which includes a black roof, silver roof rails, an upgraded stereo system and power exterior mirrors.

Kept the grey interior, but it now comes with blue accents.

Between the extra package and the year-over-year price increase, it added about $4K to the price of our previous reserved car.

Still hoping that the TN plant spins up quickly, to clear out the backlog.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

@Michaell - does VW offer any offset or rebate for the year-on-year price increase?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    corvette said:

The Prius threw a red triangle of death light this morning and the ICE would not shut off. The hybrid battery was showing the lowest charge level and the battery cooling fan would not stop running. I guess my cheap fix of replacing a single module didn’t last very long. Backed it into the garage and going to pull codes when I get home from work.

That’s a shame. I hope you can fix it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

corvette said:

@Michaell - does VW offer any offset or rebate for the year-on-year price increase?

Nope

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

edited August 2022
    That seems unfair, but I'm assuming they can sell every unit they can make.

I ordered the aftermarket NiMH kit for the Prius. I have misgivings about converting a car not designed for lithium ion to that chemistry, due to the increased volatility/flammability of those batteries. I'm also not convinced that the "September time frame" quoted by the lithium ion seller is set in stone.

I was hoping to delay picking up the loaner Q5 until after Labor Day weekend (I have a long weekend trip via plane planned for that weekend), but looks like I will need to grab it before then due to turning in the Tundra towards the end of the month and the Prius being minimally operable... I was also hoping I could offer one of my friends to drive me down to pick it up in my Prius, but that is unlikely to be an option at this point. I'll at least fill up their tank with gas.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    corvette said:

That seems unfair, but I'm assuming they can sell every unit they can make.

I ordered the aftermarket NiMH kit for the Prius. I have misgivings about converting a car not designed for lithium ion to that chemistry, due to the increased volatility/flammability of those batteries. I'm also not convinced that the "September time frame" quoted by the lithium ion seller is set in stone.

I was hoping to delay picking up the loaner Q5 until after Labor Day weekend (I have a long weekend trip via plane planned for that weekend), but looks like I will need to grab it before then due to turning in the Tundra towards the end of the month and the Prius being minimally operable... I was also hoping I could offer one of my friends to drive me down to pick it up in my Prius, but that is unlikely to be an option at this point. I'll at least fill up their tank with gas.

I forget, are you waiting it out for a Maverick or?…

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Yup, I have a 2022 Maverick on order.

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,544

@corvette said:
    Yup, I have a 2022 Maverick on order.

————————————————-
    That’s what you ordered but you’ll get a 2024 and like it. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    edited August 2022

Nice build. That would certainly surprise a few people in a straight line.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

carnaught said:

Doesn’t the Fur-Zoff leave particles of glass dust?

Some of the reviews say it does. We put a mat over the cargo area, so no chance of the dog getting irritated by particles of glass dust.

@tjc78 said:

Nice build. That would certainly surprise a few people in a straight line.

————————————————
    You got that right. I see that Collins Brothers Jeep is in Wylie TX. With 700 HP they could leave late for the action in Kissimmee FL and still get there on time. That thing is gonna hurt a few necks before it goes to a scrap yard.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    I've still gotten NOWHERE in my quest for a dealership location. I had no idea this part of the process would be this difficult.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@nyccarguy said:
    Some of the reviews say it does. We put a mat over the cargo area, so no chance of the dog getting irritated by particles of glass dust.

————————————————
    But that should be able to be removed with a decent shop-vac. However, it would be best not to use something that creates another step in the cleaning process.

jmonroe

qbrozen said:

I've still gotten NOWHERE in my quest for a dealership location. I had no idea this part of the process would be this difficult.

Remind us again of the parameters you, and the state, are looking for?

We got very lucky with the location of our cooking studio. Corner of two major thoroughfares, one block off the highway. And, it had the lowest rent of the three spaces we looked at.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

@Michaell said:

We got very lucky with the location of our cooking studio. Corner of two major thoroughfares, one block off the highway. And, it had the lowest rent of the three spaces we looked at.

————————————————-
    Do you have any space for a few cars for a poster buddy?

jmonroe

Michaell said:

My requirements are damned near nonexistent. But it needs to be zoned by the town for car sales, and the state requires it be physically firewalled from any other business or be its own building. Also needs to have dedicated show space for at least 2 cars.

I run into a lot of "that's already under contract." I checked out one yesterday that I thought I could make work. It used to be a bar. It had potential to be converted to an office with 3 attached garage bays, plus parking for at least another 50 cars. I dug into the zoning last night and found car sales is not one of the permitted uses in that area. Pretty much any other type of sales and service you can come up with is "OK" but nothing automotive related.

I'm even willing to buy empty commercial land. But there is always a catch there, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Can you petition to have the land rezoned?

corvette said:

Can you petition to have the land rezoned?

maybe. But I certainly wouldn't risk buying something that isn't already zoned correctly.

edited August 2022
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

My requirements are damned near nonexistent. But it needs to be zoned by the town for car sales, and the state requires it be physically firewalled from any other business or be its own building. Also needs to have dedicated show space for at least 2 cars.

I run into a lot of "that's already under contract." I checked out one yesterday that I thought I could make work. It used to be a bar. It had potential to be converted to an office with 3 attached garage bays, plus parking for at least another 50 cars. I dug into the zoning last night and found car sales is not one of the permitted uses in that area. Pretty much any other type of sales and service you can come up with is "OK" but nothing automotive related.

I'm even willing to buy empty commercial land. But there is always a catch there, too.
    Be careful of that zoning. In the early days of Auto Auctions Rebuilds that YouTuber had tremendous problems with the authorities.

If you take over a former car sales operation you should have soil testing done. A lot of those locations are contaminated with with all sorts of nastiness. If you buy it you get stuck cleaning it up.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Contrast that with how GM bungled the Bolt recall—no money, no loaner while waiting for a fix, if memory serves.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    If you take over a former car sales operation you should have soil testing done. A lot of those locations are contaminated with with all sorts of nastiness. If you buy it you get stuck cleaning it up.

Great point. I just shows how little I know. I was just going to ask a generic, is it feasible to buy an existing used car lot?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    mjfloyd1 said:
    Blows my mind that Toyota could mess up something as ubiquitous as a wheel hub assembly. I mean, I can possibly see a mechanical failure on the assembly line causing them to leave the factory without proper torquing and whatnot, but to not be able to fix it? That's a major concern.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    qbrozen said:

Urban planners these days hate anything to do with cars or car sales/repair. If it isn't grandfathered in or already under that use, they likely would not approve it. The profession is turning out people who want everyone to ride bikes.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

@xwesx said:
    Blows my mind that Toyota could mess up something as ubiquitous as a wheel hub assembly. I mean, I can possibly see a mechanical failure on the assembly line causing them to leave the factory without proper torquing and whatnot, but to not be able to fix it? That's a major concern.

My thoughts exactly, my dude (another 17 year old quote)

@xwesx said:

————————————————
    Which leads me to believe we haven’t been told the whole story. Hub replacements aren’t that big of a deal. What’s behind the hub may be.

jmonroe

Maybe they haven't developed a fix they are confident in yet.

Hit up the Ford website chat feature and confirmed I still don't have a VIN. Just one data point, but someone on the Maverick board with a 1/7 order date just got a VIN (and his build had CoPilot 360, a constraint item), so I'm hoping I get a golden ticket in the next few weeks.
    edited August 2022
    sda said:

Great point. I just shows how little I know. I was just going to ask a generic, is it feasible to buy an existing used car lot?

Not just car lots. I’ve read a couple of stories of business owners bankrupted by hidden toxins. One near Watertown, NY occurred when the state suddenly dropped on a real estate office and announced that their parking lot covered up a WW1 toxic dump and the little business was on the hook for millions. Another occurred in Schenectady, NY where the city supposedly sold a former dry cleaners to a woman knowing that the ground was saturated with chemicals which they then announced she would have to pay to clean up.

Also, I was dropping our rental cars off at a dealer who was soon to relocate to a new location and overheard staff joking about what the next owner would find buried out back from decades ago.

Might be better to lease until you’re sure.

@oldfarmer50 said:
    Be careful of that zoning. In the early days of Auto Auctions Rebuilds that YouTuber had tremendous problems with the authorities.

Oh, I’m aware. I won’t even buy property that used to have a heating oil tank. They are pretty thorough about testing these days. It can be an absolute nightmare for property owners.

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Had to go to the nearby MINI dealership to pick up an accessory my wife had ordered. Decided to stop in at the Honda dealership there just to ask about availability of the Civic Si and whether they had any process for reserving a Type R.

I should have known better based on the arrogant attitude at this dealership in the past.

They have a pretty long list of holds for incoming Si’s, and they add $5,000…$2,500 in accessories you can pick out, and then another $2,500 markup. On the Type R, they claim to only receive one per year (uh huh), and they already have 7-8 customers with deposits, so are no longer taking them. And those are $10k over MSRP…$5k in accessories and $5k markup.

But…they told me they have a used 2022 Civic Si available with only 400 miles. Price, I ask? $39k. I had to ask again…”Thirty NINE?” Yup. But…it only has 400 miles they say.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    So…I decide to visit the nearby Acura dealer. Not great, but they are adding $1,995 to Integras, which includes window tint, all weather mats and trunk mat, a ceramic exterior coat and some interior protectant coat. What’s that, maybe $500 worth of stuff (at retail)? But still, it’s not exactly offensive. $39k for a manual A-spec Integra or the same price for a barely used Si? Pretty easy.

And they have a few due in within a month that are not spoken for.

They also had a demo that they let me take out for a nice test drive (manual A-spec even).

It’s a really nice vehicle…quicker than I thought it would be. Great Honda shifter. Very composed over bumps. I like the rev matching (some may not). It’s on the list. If someone were looking for a fun, sporty daily driver, I think it’s quite perfect. I’d take it over a GTI, not so much for any performance advantage (which it doesn’t have), but for the overall package and reliability. But for a second (or third or fourth) fun car, I still may prefer something more like the GR86/BRZ or a Miata.

I could see putting a deposit on a Type S when its announced though.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

@breld said:
    Had to go to the nearby MINI dealership to pick up an accessory my wife had ordered.

Hope it was something the next owner can appreciate.

On the plus side, she still owned the car when the accessory arrived.