Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    When we had our home built in 04, we selected a color of barely gray, essentially an off white. One evening when I did a quick walk thru after it had been painted I noticed it was the wrong color, antique white with a yellow hue. I called our salesperson to let them know onl for him to say I was wrong. I asked them to pull the paperwork and yes we selected barely gray. The entire interior of the house was repainted the correct color. In the meantime, every room has been repainted at one point or another a different color. My daughter wants her bedroom repainted now as the color in her room, a nice blue, she is tired of.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    We've been in our new house about 10 months now - we just met with the builder to go over warranty items and will schedule a full inspection soon prior to the 1 year mark.

Naturally there are a few items to address but we're extremely happy with the quality of the house, which is what we expected given that it was being built by the developer as his own house. There are a few paint touchups, some doors that need adjusting, and a fan that makes a slight buzzing noise...that's pretty much the extent of it. By far the best quality build we've seen.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,543

@stickguy said:
    I just remembered what the worst part of the job is. taking everything back out of the garage. And even worse with a paint or epoxy, needs to stay out for a few days minimum. at least the tiles, you can move stuff side to side and put it back in immediately!

somehow I think I will get distracted with other projects and just sweep it out occasionally, and maybe buy a couple of the trays that you drive over to catch crap in the winter.

————————————————
    What’s wrong with treating a garage like a garage. It’s not like you’re living there unless maybe you have pull out couch for when you detour to the garage when losing ground doing laps around the dining room table. :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Has anyone heard from @suydam lately? I haven't seen anything from him recently.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    sda said:

Has anyone heard from @suydam lately? I haven't seen anything from him recently.

Pretty sure it's "her", and not for 18 months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    edited August 2022
    kyfdx said:

sda said:

Pretty sure it's "her", and not for 18 months.
    I’ve asked this a couple of times this last year with no replies. It is concerning. Wasn’t @suydam a transplant patient?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,514

Get that steering wheel in the left side and I would love one of those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421

I know the price is high, but what isn’t nowadays. Given the fact that it is over 10 years old I’d want a thorough PPI to see what the upcoming needs are, but with the Duratec V6 and 4WD this is a nice little SUV:

https://www.stamfordford.com/used-Stamford-2011-Ford-Escape-XLT-1FMCU9DG5BKB08887

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,011
    nyccarguy said:

I know the price is high, but what isn’t nowadays. Given the fact that it is over 10 years old I’d want a thorough PPI to see what the upcoming needs are, but with the Duratec V6 and 4WD this is a nice little SUV:

https://www.stamfordford.com/used-Stamford-2011-Ford-Escape-XLT-1FMCU9DG5BKB08887

And you're looking at this why, exactly?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262

The later model V6 Escape was in consideration when I was looking for a tide-me-over car. I think the loaded up ones even offered a backup camera. They do tend to rust along the rear fender area, so that is something to look out for. $10k seems steep, even given the good looking photos and low miles.

@Michaell said:

Excellent question. The Ford dealer is near the beach. On my way home from the beach the other night I stopped by to check out the Yellow Bronco Badlands with its $20K ADM and other “newly flipped” Broncos they had proudly displayed on the lot. Checked out the dealer’s website because they always seem to have a good selection of local, used cars. This popped up. I’ve got a kid who is less than 2 month away from getting his learner’s permit. Something like this might make an excellent 1st car, depending on price and condition of course.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    nyccarguy said:

I think, under the present conditions, that is a reasonable deal. And I like the Escape, especially with the Duratec V6.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Excellent question. The Ford dealer is near the beach. On my way home from the beach the other night I stopped by to check out the Yellow Bronco Badlands with its $20K ADM and other “newly flipped” Broncos they had proudly displayed on the lot. Checked out the dealer’s website because they always seem to have a good selection of local, used cars. This popped up. I’ve got a kid who is less than 2 month away from getting his learner’s permit. Something like this might make an excellent 1st car, depending on price and condition of course.

After I posted, I thought to myself "how old are his kids?".

We spent $8K 20 years ago for a 4 year old Chevy Tracker with 60,000 miles on it as my stepson's first car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

@Michaell said:

We spent $8K 20 years ago for a 4 year old Chevy Tracker with 60,000 miles on it as my stepson's first car.

It’s really something I’m completely undecided about. When I got my license, I was fortunate enough that my Grandma gave me $8,500 to buy a car (at the time they were advertising Dodge Shadows for that price). I got some money from Mom & Dad, and some from my savings and got a brand new 1992 Beretta GT. I know buying a new car for a 16 year old isn’t the smartest thing. In today’s market, a good used car is $10Kish and even at that it will still need tires, brakes, fluids…. I’ve toyed with the idea of leasing a Tacoma with a stick…. Like every other automotive purchase that’s not my Prelude, I’m all over the place.

@nyccarguy - I didn't realize until recently that the Beretta and Corsica both got airbags in 1991. It never occurred to me because the larger and more expensive Lumina sedan and coupe did not get them until they were redesigned in 1995 and the coupe got renamed Monte Carlo. Most other low to moderately priced GM vehicles of the early 1990s went with door mounted belts. Embarrassingly, Cadillac's flagship Brougham had them and no airbags through 1992, despite having tons of other gadgets and geegaws.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I recall the first gen Lumina had a unique small hub/thin spoke wheel and recessed dashboard design, kind of futuristic in a retro way now:

corvette said:

@nyccarguy - I didn't realize until recently that the Beretta and Corsica both got airbags in 1991. It never occurred to me because the larger and more expensive Lumina sedan and coupe did not get them until they were redesigned in 1995 and the coupe got renamed Monte Carlo. Most other low to moderately priced GM vehicles of the early 1990s went with door mounted belts. Embarrassingly, Cadillac's flagship Brougham had them and no airbags through 1992, despite having tons of other gadgets and geegaws.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

@nyccarguy said:

Considering I paid $4k for my 2010 with 100k, I can’t say I’m thrilled with that price. Granted, mine had rust issues, but who is to say they aren’t lurking on that one?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@stickguy said:
    Get that steering wheel in the left side and I would love one of those.

Actually kind of odd that most Alfa’s I’ve seen from there are LHD.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

@Michaell said:

Back in 2008 I bought my 1975 '02 for $4500. I spent around $2,000 on maintenance/repairs/upgrades before my son got it in 2011 as his first car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    nyccarguy said:

Already gone according to that link.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    Just be careful playing in the used car end of the pool. As you may remember my MiL totaled her Forester and replaced it with a ‘16 Outback. What I didn’t mention is she has macular degeneration and in the past month it has taken a turn to the point where she will not be able to drive for too much longer.

I’ve already had quotes on the Outback and its not pretty.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

au1994 said:

Just be careful playing in the used car end of the pool. As you may remember my MiL totaled her Forester and replaced it with a ‘16 Outback. What I didn’t mention is she has macular degeneration and in the past month it has taken a turn to the point where she will not be able to drive for too much longer.

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Since I got my license in 1992, I've only owned 2 used cars. My 2015 Infiniti Q40 which was 2 1/2 years old and had less than 7,500 miles on it and my 1990 E30 BMW 325i which had about 82,000 miles. I am very skeptical of the used car market. It is amazing how an oil change and a professional detail can make even the most neglected car look perfect.

nyccarguy said:

au1994 said:

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Since I got my license in 1992, I've only owned 2 used cars. My 2015 Infiniti Q40 which was 2 1/2 years old and had less than 7,500 miles on it and my 1990 E30 BMW 325i which had about 82,000 miles. I am very skeptical of the used car market. It is amazing how an oil change and a professional detail can make even the most neglected car look perfect.
    Thank you. The car really is in good shape. New tires and it looked like the PO never touched the back seat. The problem is we over paid in this market and knew it and of course we may take the hit on depreciation quicker than expected.

It may be time to shuffle the fleet with the exception of the Jeep. Au94 jr might not like it but he may be in an Outback soon. Quite a blow for a HS Jr to go from a cool BMW to that!

Quite a blow for a HS Jr to go from a cool BMW to that!

Better that than the Nike Express

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    nyccarguy said:

“ It is a piece of s@#$! Don't worry about it, I don't even have a piece of s@#$! I have to envy yours.”

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

nyccarguy said:

or even worse, the big yellow box

@stickguy said:
    or even worse, the big yellow box

Ye ol’ Cheese Wagon

My kids had beaters in HS. Just go watch the parking lot once after final bell and you’ll never send a nice car. Resembles a demolition derby.

@au1994 said:
    Thank you. The car really is in good shape. New tires and it looked like the PO never touched the back seat. The problem is we over paid in this market and knew it and of course we may take the hit on depreciation quicker than expected.

It may be time to shuffle the fleet with the exception of the Jeep. Au94 jr might not like it but he may be in an Outback soon. Quite a blow for a HS Jr to go from a cool BMW to that!

————————————————-
    Have you looked into after market badges? :'(

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

My kids had beaters in HS. Just go watch the parking lot once after final bell and you’ll never send a nice car. Resembles a demolition derby.

Yeah, I was looking at his last week and counted at least 5 “thats new” scratches and dings.

Got more detailed pics on the Suzuki. It is far nicer than I thought.

edited August 2022

@au1994 said:

Yet he may attract the girls if he has dogs riding with him.

qbrozen said:

I have to admit, there is a certain functional charm to it.

Does the odometer really say 35,xxx KM?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

58,xxx

Congrats! I think you are going to be really happy with that!

tjc78 said:

Signed the paperwork on the RAM and overnighted it back today. They are supposed to be loading it on a truck tomorrow along with others.

I’m hoping Monday maybe?

I got pretty lucky on this one. Chrysler Capital upped the rebate from the July numbers in my region.

I’m very happy with this lease in this market.

MSRP - $58,125 ($51,300 selling price, $999 doc fee took some of that back)

Payment with 6.625% Nj tax - $497

DAS - $497

Broker fee - $500

$510 effective.

For whatever reason dealer did a full picture set even though it was sold before arrival.

https://www.lithia.com/new/Ram/2022-Ram-1500-5d59ab0b0a0e0a9914acf241965f6aff.htm

Seems like a very reasonable lease. I would have avoided black, but other than that, seems like the perfect build.

tjc78 said:

Signed the paperwork on the RAM and overnighted it back today. They are supposed to be loading it on a truck tomorrow along with others.

I’m hoping Monday maybe?

I got pretty lucky on this one. Chrysler Capital upped the rebate from the July numbers in my region.

DAS - $497

Broker fee - $500

$510 effective.

For whatever reason dealer did a full picture set even though it was sold before arrival.

https://www.lithia.com/new/Ram/2022-Ram-1500-5d59ab0b0a0e0a9914acf241965f6aff.htm

Very nice truck! Excellent price in this market!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    @qbrozen
    Beach car

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

@qbrozen
    Beach car

We could dress up as the crew of the SS Minnow.

tjc78 said:

A few surfboards on top, a Salt Life sticker, and some teal accent stripes and it’s ready for the beach.

There's a thing that I say when I see a "Salt Life" sticker that I can't repeat here... Anyway, I really dig the blue seat fabric on that Suzuki, it kind of looks teal in some of the pics.
    qbrozen said:

Michaell said:

58,xxx
    Thanks - still really low. Looks to be in great condition.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

tjc78 said:

I’m hoping Monday maybe?

DAS - $497

Broker fee - $500

$510 effective.

Congrats on the final deal. If I need to borrow a truck, I know who to call!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

qbrozen said:

————————————————-
    Nice? You’re never gonna fix me up for a blind date. :*

jmonroe
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905

@qbrozen said:
    Seems like a very reasonable lease. I would have avoided black, but other than that, seems like the perfect build.

Thanks!

I think it wears black well, but typically it’s not my first choice either.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

I’m hoping Monday maybe?

DAS - $497

Broker fee - $500

$510 effective.

———————————————
    Folks with trucks should get a free membership in the ‘Witness Protection Program’.

jmonroe
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

I’m hoping Monday maybe?

DAS - $497

Broker fee - $500

$510 effective.

———————————————
    Folks with trucks should get a free membership in the ‘Witness Protection Program’.

jmonroe
    Don't I know it. When the first wife and I had the '86 Isuzu P'up, we got calls all the time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator