Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I may be just buying in to the urban myth but don’t those highly tuned Porsche engines need an overhaul at 50k miles? Would you be buying a big expense with that one?

Porsche makes stout engines. Plenty of cars make 100K with nothing more than (expensive) maintenance.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

@au1994 said:
    “Did we give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ... Nothing is over until we decide it is!" Toga!”. John Blutarsky, a great American.

I’ll have what he’s having…

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

I'll be interested to see if this makes reserve.. guessing it's under, right now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,121
    au1994 said:

“Did we give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? ... Nothing is over until we decide it is!" Toga!”. John Blutarsky, a great American.

That's Senator Blutarsky, to you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

qbrozen said:

So C&B followed up with me again about the Pajero. Wanted to know if I fixed the title yet. Told them originally I didn't want to go through that trouble and I'd think about it but likely would just keep driving it until the miles matched up. haha.
    ANYWAY, I told them this time that I sold it. That apparently didn't sit well with the rep who is claiming "substantial resources went into putting together your listing." Gee, then maybe you should have just listed it instead of blocking it for a clerical error. Or, if that is such a big sticking point for you, look at that detail before doing any work on the ad? Crazy, I know.
    Obviously, these interactions have left a very bad taste in my mouth and it is doubtful I will work with them again. Other than the low bidding result, BaT wound up being much easier, friendlier, and faster to work with.

I would seriously consider writing an email to Doug DeMuro about the experience. Will he read it? Who knows. But he should at least have the opportunity to be aware of the terrible customer experience.
    I had a better thought .... write up a comparison of your C&B and BaT experiences and see if you can sell the article to someone - C&D, for example. I doubt there are many folks who have used both sites to sell their cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    that version of the motor is not at all highly tuned. Or stressed. If maintained correctly (as in oil changes) it should last a long, long time. Actually good that it has some miles on it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Car and Driver would love to talk up BaT since they have the same parent owners. I didn't realize this until they had a write up on the Montero I bought-

made reserve at $30,8xx. Bubba only missed by a grand taking home his dream car.

should have gone for it.

I'm stunned.. $30,805

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

That seemed to be a win for the buyer.

tifighter said:

That seemed to be a win for the buyer.

Without a doubt.. I guess if it shows him as winning, then it made reserve?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yes. If it didn't meet reserve, it would say so.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    Michaell said:

au1994 said:

That's Senator Blutarsky, to you.
    You are correct sir!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

kyfdx said:

I'm stunned.. $30,805

Kicking yourself now for quitting?

stickguy said:

kyfdx said:

I'm stunned.. $30,805

Kicking yourself now for quitting?
    Nope, scroll up to see my last post..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I have to be more careful. I was uncomfortably close to owning that vehicle. :/

I think you've got the wrong forum.

stickguy said:

that version of the motor is not at all highly tuned. Or stressed. If maintained correctly (as in oil changes) it should last a long, long time. Actually good that it has some miles on it.

No IMS bearing, I don’t believe. That huge cause of problems on some models in the past.

I checked.. That's the first bid that user has made on an BaT car. One and done.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

if you are going to troll for steals only, better sharpen up your lowball pencil!

I guess the other guy was just waiting for a steal to show up and jumped on it. Or possible he joined just to bid on that one?

at least I learned more about the versions of that motor, and what years to look for to avoid the common problems on earlier ones. sounds like the 2011-2012 non-S is the way to go on these.

stickguy said:

if you are going to troll for steals only, better sharpen up your lowball pencil!

I guess the other guy was just waiting for a steal to show up and jumped on it. Or possible he joined just to bid on that one?

at least I learned more about the versions of that motor, and what years to look for to avoid the common problems on earlier ones. sounds like the 2011-2012 non-S is the way to go on these.

Definitely 2009-2016

Looks like he joined in 2018, but had never made a comment or bid, until today.

That was a steal. That car is just a little off from what I wanted. But, who knows if that guy would have kept bidding, if someone topped him?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Would absolutely love to give this a drive-

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-toyota-mr2-spyder-22/

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    First thing I did when I got back from my Dr appt was check the Cayman auction.
    Saw that someone outbid Kyfdx, so 2 happy people?
    Stopped by a close by Ford dealer and they really did stock up on Lariat's Tremor's.
    Pretty much al the others have lots of XLT's.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Perfect example why not to get a WRX with a CVT. :#
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQ6chI7zUQ

First thing I did when I got back from my Dr appt was check the Cayman auction.
    Saw that someone outbid Kyfdx, so 2 happy people?
    Stopped by a close by Ford dealer and they really did stock up on Lariat's Tremor's.
    Pretty much al the others have lots of XLT's.

someone near my house recently replaced a 10ish YO Chevy with an Alto Blue F150 Tremor. Very sharp looking. Have not seen it up close enough to read if it is a lariat or not.

tifighter said:

Would absolutely love to give this a drive-

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-toyota-mr2-spyder-22/

I love those. test drove one when they first came out. Quite fun, and a whole lot more comfortable than a Miata. Just zero cargo room. As in, a weekend away means the passenger rights with a duffle bag in their lap! But I would be happy to have one as a toy.

no clue how much difference the motor swap makes, or if it opens up any cans of worms, but at least it wasn't turbo'd up too.

@sticjguy,
    Lariat are Tremor separate models, can't have them both together.
    edited March 2023
    so what does the front fender side badge say? It has Tremor graphics on the side of the bed.

You’re not kidding. There is literally no luggage space unless you ditch the spare.

@sticjguy,
    Lariat are Tremor separate models, can't have them both together.

Is it a Maverick or an F-150?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I bought my '02 by making a bid at lunch- thinking no way would I get it...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited March 2023
    that looks just like the one near me. Price is eye watering. My budget is more aligned to a $29K Maverick Lariat luxury hybrid. which also is much more suited to my needs!

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,464
    tifighter said:

@jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

Savvy owners know when to call it quits and not push their luck. But, now that you’ve been outbid, you got away clean. B)

jmonroe

This is a 2 seat sports car, not a Hyundai. Most people buy one, keep it two years, then move on to the next toy. I agree with @kyfdx that a six year ownership period is a positive, not a negative.

————————————————
    Who said anything about a Hyundai? I don’t own one. However, you can say that about every car out there that isn’t a 2-seat sports car. There’s a time to shed every car. Porsches for sure, even Tesla’s.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    stickguy said:

made reserve at $30,8xx. Bubba only missed by a grand taking home his dream car.

should have gone for it.

————————————————
    To my way of thinking, if you’re looking for a car like that, unless they come by every other day, if you not willing to spend around 5 grand more to get what you want, you’re a flake not a real buyer. Hell, option packages on cars today can fetch close to if not more (depending on the car, like Benz, BMW etc.) than 5 grand.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)

————————————————
    Geeze, the lack of car skills kids don’t have today is worrisome. In my day they’d have never found that car. I know, the didn’t have WRX’s in my day but you get the idea.

jmonroe
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559

What dummies!

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————
    Geeze, the lack of car skills kids don’t have today is worrisome. In my day they’d have never found that car. I know, the didn’t have WRX’s in my day but you get the idea.

jmonroe
    Yeah but in your day they could foil car thieves by hiding the hand crank.😆

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

jmonroe1 said:

————————————————

jmonroe
    Yeah but in your day they could foil car thieves by hiding the hand crank.😆
    ————————————————
    Yeah, I hated it when they did that. :'(

jmonroe
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Went back to work today and we were busy. First trip was up to Stuart FL and then down to the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Next trip was up to Vero Beach & back down to Ft. Lauderdale airport. We drove like 346 miles total, the chase van, a record from what I heard. The vertigo has gotten a bit better so felt I could leave the house. Did turn down working tomorrow as I don't want to push my luck here. But I did finally read up on BPPV vertigo, the kind I suffer with, and learned a lot. It's just something I'm going to have to deal with from now on it seems as it's happened now four times in almost 13 months. The worst part is never knowing when it's going to hit, it's that unknown that I'm having trouble dealing with. And the worst part is that when it does hit, all I can do is stay home and move around as little as possible as the dizziness is major bad!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    jmonroe1 said:

Who said anything about a Hyundai? I don’t own one. However, you can say that about every car out there that isn’t a 2-seat sports car. There’s a time to shed every car. Porsches for sure, even Tesla’s.

jmonroe

What’s that Old Man Gray-painted vehicle you drive? Isn’t it a Genesis? 😮

It comes out of an assembly plant that produces Elantras and Tucsons as well.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

jmonroe1 said:

jmonroe

What’s that Old Man Gray-painted vehicle you drive? Isn’t it a Genesis? 😮

It comes out of an assembly plant that produces Elantras and Tucsons as well.
    ————————————————
    I know I’m being a little slippery here but a Genesis is not technically a Hyundai. It’s a Genesis. The parent company, is of course Hyundai, but the car company is titled Genesis. You don’t call your Cadillac a General Motors, do you? The same as Chevy and Buick owners don’t call their cars General Motors. And folks that own Jeeps don’t call their cars FCA, right?

jmonroe
    I don't think GM ever produced a Chevrolet Cadillac, JM. But there was a Hyundai Genesis.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/genesis-coupe/specs

They have even been afflicted with the Hyundai engine fire disease/recalls that have plagued the more ordinary Hyundais. Hard for a leopard to change its spots, etc.

edited April 2023
    ab348 said:

I don't think GM ever produced a Chevrolet Cadillac, JM. But there was a Hyundai Genesis.

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/genesis-coupe/specs

They have even been afflicted with the Hyundai engine fire disease/recalls that have plagued the more ordinary Hyundais. Hard for a leopard to change its spots, etc.

We saw a spectacular engine fire on the way to Manville NJ on 287 Thursday. An old Range Rover was cooked down to just a shell. Tied up traffic so bad northbound that we had to continue south and hook up with the Garden State Parkway down by Linden.

As to recalls, I have an appointment with Kia to fix two but I also have two for the Mustang. So by comparison Kia isn’t that bad.

@oldfamer50,
    What are the recalls for?
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,221
    edited April 2023

All you VW Golf plaid guys have nuthin’ on this new Jeep Wrangler Flannel edition

@April fools

edited April 2023

But I like it! Evolution of the Levi’s denim version from the 70s

Got a surprise from ford this week. My maverick was scheduled for production the week of 4/10 so I logged into the tracker to see if it got pushed yet. And see if I could get a window sticker (usually shows up a couple weeks prior)

Not only was the sticker produced (so now I actually know how much it costs!) they showed it as “in production” instead of “scheduled”. So it might be arriving sooner than I expected.

mjfloyd1 said:

All you VW Golf plaid guys have nuthin’ on this new Jeep Wrangler Flannel edition

@April fools

Looks like the shirt the guy from the Busch Light commercials wears.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

But I like it! Evolution of the Levi’s denim version from the 70s

But you like everything... B)

It would not have been bad if they had limited it to the seat upholstery/door cards. But the dashboard is a bridge too far.