Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

Will state farm insurance pay to replace windshield cracked by rock with Toyota brand glass? On a 2.5 year old Venza.

I'm going to guess no... with my experience with State Farm and glass (no deductible on windshields in KY)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    sda said:

Will state farm insurance pay to replace windshield cracked by rock with Toyota brand glass? On a 2.5 year old Venza.

I think all you have to do is specify OEM glass. That’s what we did when the windshield was replaced in the Q5. USAA complied.
    On that topic what would the experts here recommend for repair of a windshield chip that hasn’t spread yet? Safelite, Independent shop or do it yourself kit from the auto parts store.

I think I’d want quality and durability first but not spend a fortune if I can avoid it.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I had a pro do a pit once. I couldn't stop seeing it. So I took the repair as a credit and had nice new glass put in instead.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    Congratulations!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    mjfloyd1 said:

Just back from Gymnastics regional meet in Indianapolis. My daughter won floor and set a new school record 9.825 (prior record was 9.8 set in 1992)

That must make you proud.😀

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@mjfloyd1 said:
    Just back from Gymnastics regional meet in Indianapolis. My daughter won floor and set a new school record 9.825 (prior record was 9.8 set in 1992)

Congrats!!!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

Progressive put an aftermarket windshield in my S60. I couldn’t tell the difference … Volvo Financial didn’t care either.

• Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616

Do it. Our Venza got a crack. Replaced with aftermarket at company insurance recommended (not Saftelite). The HUD works, but will not appear completely level in the view. A week later got another crack! And another aftermarket. HUD is better, but still not perfect. Next time I will insist on an OEM.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    edited March 2

@sb55 said:
    Do it. Our Venza got a crack. Replaced with aftermarket at company insurance recommended (not Saftelite). The HUD works, but will not appear completely level in the view. A week later got another crack! And another aftermarket. HUD is better, but still not perfect. Next time I will insist on an OEM.

Good call … my S60 had all the safety stuff and auto wipers but not HUD. My 2012 LaCrosse did and the glass shop said OEM only.

@imidazol97
    I’m sure the Venza has all the safety stuff that uses the sensor on the mirror. OEM or not the calibration is the key to everything working properly. Safelite can do it.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    mjfloyd1 said:

Fantastic!

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    In my area, Safelite does a good job, and of course, will come to your home or business to do it.
    But, I have a local glass shop that I use.

State Farm will give you quotes from place with an 800 number, that you've never heard of, don't know where they are located, or who it actually is (AAA Glass, etc). I say no thanks to that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    We've used Safelite for our last couple of windshield replacements.
    We have rain sensing wipers, auto headlights with auto dimming, etc...
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    wish me luck. If you are religious, go to your place of choice and light a candle or something.

stopped to pick up paint samples last night since we have to pick a wall color for the new house. so now there are dozens of chips spread out on the table and the wife is in complete analysis paralysis ("there are too many choices and I don't know what to do!!!") Would have preferred the builder gave us 3 choices (light, medium and dark!). That might have only taken a week to decide. She keeps picking out options way darker than what we have now (Alabastar, a nice lighter yellowish white) that I think we should look to be close to. So I suspect at some point this weekend she won't be talking to me.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

Did you all see the crash on a bridge over the Ohio river that resulted in a semi dangling over the edge?

• Options
    Definitely need some new underwear after that - the driver was rescued
  • Options
    edited March 2

@stickguy said:
    wish me luck. If you are religious, go to your place of choice and light a candle or something.

stopped to pick up paint samples last night since we have to pick a wall color for the new house. so now there are dozens of chips spread out on the table and the wife is in complete analysis paralysis ("there are too many choices and I don't know what to do!!!") Would have preferred the builder gave us 3 choices (light, medium and dark!). That might have only taken a week to decide. She keeps picking out options way darker than what we have now (Alabastar, a nice lighter yellowish white) that I think we should look to be close to. So I suspect at some point this weekend she won't be talking to me.

I’ll never admit to this and if my wife reads this I will claim my account was hacked!

I picked the “white” for our kitchen cabinet renovation at the shore without input. She said she wanted “white” like we have at home. So … I took the samples the guy gave me and matched it. I’m sure everyone realizes there are 89456.4 shades of white and I was avoiding what Stick is going through.

She hasn’t seen it live yet but loves the pictures. I’m here now and it looks good to me!

I think after her trip she wants to come and see it next weekend. If I stop posting after Friday night you all know what happened 😢

• Options
    My wife can't imagine anything from a paint sample. At our cabinet supplier, they had a full door in one shade of white, and the rest were 3 X 5 samples.

Told my wife that if were were getting white, it had to be the one on the full door. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@kyfdx said:
    My wife can't imagine anything from a paint sample. At our cabinet supplier, they had a full door in one shade of white, and the rest were 3 X 5 samples.

Told my wife that if were were getting white, it had to be the one on the full door. :D

Smart man

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

I’ll never admit to this and if my wife reads this I will claim my account was hacked!

I picked the “white” for our kitchen cabinet renovation at the shore without input. She said she wanted “white” like we have at home. So … I took the samples the guy gave me and matched it. I’m sure everyone realizes there are 89456.4 shades of white and I was avoiding what Stick is going through.

She hasn’t seen it live yet but loves the pictures. I’m here now and it looks good to me!

I think after her trip she wants to come and see it next weekend. If I stop posting after Friday night you all know what happened 😢

I picked the carpet color for the upstairs; after several hours of debate the designer and my wife agreed that my instinct was correct. I still live in fear of the day this comes back to kick me in the posterior).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I haven't posted responses to any of this.

You're welcome.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,566
    mjfloyd1 said:

————————————————
    Congratulations. I’m betting she got those skills from her mother. o:)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

@jmonroe1 said:
    ————————————————
    Congratulations. I’m betting she got those skills from her mother. o:)

jmonroe

True

• Options
    sb55 said:

————————————————
    Don’t wait for the road gremlins, use your hammer.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    stickguy said:

————————————————
    I thought gray was the in color now. Some of those shades are so close to each other you have to squint to see the difference and when that happens you’re close enough.

Application is the difference maker. Two coats with sanding between coats.

jmonroe
  • Options
    there are currently probably well over 100 paint sample cards spread all over our kitchen table. She will never be able to decide. Not sure I care any longer but will keep telling her not to get something too dark (which see seems obsessed to do). Because whatever she picks, is what the house is staying forever (other than the bathroom which I said I would repaint). Because I am not going to start repainting, and sure as heck can't afford to pay to have it done!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    What ever shade she picks, accidentally select the next lightest shade.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited March 2

I liked having the sherwin Williams color books of a few thousand tones in sequence. Holding one next to something I could pick the exact color I liked.
    Can't find either of my two books. Too cheap to buy new ones--i know they're somewhere...

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    went tile looking today. stopped at a local tile shop, which started out poorly (selection overload). Surprisingly, the nice lady that runs the place came up with some options, and actually something we liked. Even more surprising, it was the style (big tiles in the shower) I was pushing for. The price though, was pretty steep (the master bath alone was blowing past the tile allowance). Then we discovered why the builder told us to just go to Lowes or HD and pick out stuff. A whole lot cheaper. Not quite the selection, and didn't find a shower floor tile we liked (did find a wall tile). So now she will be grumpy because the "fancy" stuff isn't really in budget.

JMonroe, is there any reason to avoid the big box stores for porcelain tiles? Big difference in price, but is there a quality or durability reason?

• Options

I got absolute sticker shock with how expensive some of the tile and quartz can be.

Just to put into perspective we shaved 4K off our counters and back splash by going with a grade down on quartz and lower spec tile.

• Options

Here was what we picked originally.

This is what we ended up with which actually matches the rest of our place better.

• Options

The top one with the mosaic was only going to be a band of accent. It was over $50 sq ft

• Options
    edited March 2
    We have glass tile for our backsplash, similar to yours. Materials for most of the glass tiles was going to run $1750. What we actually liked and picked out (closeout) was $500. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    @stickguy,
    We picked out paint and tile at Lowes.
    Sherwin Williams has 'Themes', in other words complimentary colors.

• Options

I like that shower explorer. Sent the picture to the boss!

• Options
    @stickguy,
    In that case, here's the other half.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to touch the hem of the garments the people who post this kind of stuff.

I'm not worthy.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

went tile looking today. stopped at a local tile shop, which started out poorly (selection overload). Surprisingly, the nice lady that runs the place came up with some options, and actually something we liked. Even more surprising, it was the style (big tiles in the shower) I was pushing for. The price though, was pretty steep (the master bath alone was blowing past the tile allowance). Then we discovered why the builder told us to just go to Lowes or HD and pick out stuff. A whole lot cheaper. Not quite the selection, and didn't find a shower floor tile we liked (did find a wall tile). So now she will be grumpy because the "fancy" stuff isn't really in budget.

JMonroe, is there any reason to avoid the big box stores for porcelain tiles? Big difference in price, but is there a quality or durability reason?

————————————————
    I have never had a problem with Home Depot tile. And two years ago they had a clearance that my Son fell upon when he was at the pro desk one day. The guy said if he bought enough he’d get him an even better price so he bought everything they had (1 foot by 2 foot tile (grayish), just a little over 2 bucks a tile) which he felt was enough for 3 flips. But, he’s just about out with the flip he’s doing now (#2) from that tile purchase since this place has a very large kitchen. That kitchen will definitely sell the house.

Hint: just be sure you get some of the extra tile so you have it just in case of any mishaps and if possible the grout too but the tile is a must.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    stickguy said:

there are currently probably well over 100 paint sample cards spread all over our kitchen table. She will never be able to decide. Not sure I care any longer but will keep telling her not to get something too dark (which see seems obsessed to do). Because whatever she picks, is what the house is staying forever (other than the bathroom which I said I would repaint). Because I am not going to start repainting, and sure as heck can't afford to pay to have it done!

Whatever you/or she picks will look darker when the whole room is painted that color. Drivers rule; go a few shades lighter than what you think.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options

@stickguy,
    We picked out paint and tile at Lowes.
    Sherwin Williams has 'Themes', in other words complimentary colors.

————————————————
    That wall tile is just about identical to the tile I just mentioned. They’d have to be side by side to see the difference.

jmonroe
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977

sda said:

I think all you have to do is specify OEM glass. That’s what we did when the windshield was replaced in the Q5. USAA complied.
    On that topic what would the experts here recommend for repair of a windshield chip that hasn’t spread yet? Safelite, Independent shop or do it yourself kit from the auto parts store.

I think I’d want quality and durability first but not spend a fortune if I can avoid it.
    Safelite can fill in a stone chip of up to 6 inches, but that probably means a thin line.
    Over the years I have had about 4 stone chips filled by Safelite....they do a good job but the spot will never be completely clear.
    I'd only do it if it wasn't in my direct line of vision.
    If you don't like the chip repair you can apply that money towards a new windshield.
    About 8 years ago they told me a new windshield would cost $1500 for an OME Mercedes windshield, and a Safelite windshield which they make on the same assembly line afterwards would be $750. And I can buy a Mercedes decal on EBay for $5.

btw....in Florida; . You can have your windshield repaired or replaced for free in Florida. There is a statute in Florida that prevents car insurance companies from applying a deductible to windshield repairs or replacements.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    @jmonroe1,
    I'm pretty sure the wall tile was within our allowance. Bring over a piece of what you have if you want to compare. ;)
    The grandkids have taken over one of the bathrooms.

• Options

I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to touch the hem of the garments the people who post this kind of stuff.

I'm not worthy.

————————————————
    We’ll still let you post. o:)

jmonroe
  • Options

@jmonroe1,
    I'm pretty sure the wall tile was within our allowance. Bring over a piece of what you have if you want to compare. ;)

————————————————-
    Why not? That looks like a kids size tub.

jmonroe
  • Options

@jmonroe1,

That didn't take long. :)

• Options
    kyfdx said:

We have glass tile for our backsplash, similar to yours. Materials for most of the glass tiles was going to run $1750. What we actually liked and picked out (closeout) was $500. :)

One thing is for sure. When working with glass tile, you will cut yourself. More than once if you're doing it right. :/

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Whenever we get a paint color discussion I have to post this classic: https://youtu.be/s33ScN4D-HU?si=GhjGbuxm6cpnQIEh

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    I always keep extra. Which reminds me to tell the builder to make sure they safely leave any extra flooring and tile.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Eventually you’ll have enough extras to do an entire room! :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

I'm not worthy.

————————————————
    We’ll still let you post. o:)

jmonroe
    Not always.

Imagine.