Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW GOLF GTI

Comments

• mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    The potential lifespan depends on many variables and I'm sure folks here will jump in with loads of advice. The used car pricing here on Edmunds goes back to 1987 and I believe our VW Golf info will be helpful to you.
  • e101e101 Member Posts: 4
    A couple people asked, so i am responding here(Carlady) I just bought a '98 GTI 8V-BLK,for $15,500.
    Now, where can i get VW floormats cheaper than the dealer?
    I got floor mats for my VW Golf at the Price Club (Costco in some areas.) I think they were about $20 for all four. They match the interior color and look just fine.
  • fozzyfozzy Member Posts: 6
    hello its me again

i heard that in 99 the golf will be new. so i would assume that the 98,97's with the older body will be a bit cheeper, does anyone know about the changes and or any advice on wether or not i should wait till 99...
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Fozzy,

It's a definite. 1999 will be the year that the GOLF will transition over to the MK IV version. Funny thing, since most of the info is coming out of Europe, where the GOLF is SUPREMO compared to the Jetta, all the news I've seen relates to the MK IV GOLF.

Look at your news agent (sorry, BRIT term) for some European car mags. There's lots more info in them re. the new GOLF, since it is being sold there this year.

What I want to know is this: will the VR6 be available again in the GTI, or will the 20V turbo be the only option. In Europe, they are offering a wacky VR5 whish is a truncated VR6. It seems aimed at the more luxury oriented version. This is similar to the difference between the Audi A4 1.8 and 2.8, there's not much difference in outright performance. The difference is in composure.

Bruce.
  • GuyPGuyP Member Posts: 50
    Folks,

There's a great article in the current VW Motoring magazine. It compares ALL FOUR generations of the Golf GTI! Great reading. The Mk4 should be a great performer and really shine i.t.o. refinement and quality. But they tell me that it has really lost the GTI flavor (which even the Mk3 still has).

This is the verdict from the test drivers of the 4 generations of GTI:

PROS:
    Mk1--best original GTI experience
    Mk2--best 0-60 and highest top speed
    Mk3--best handling
    Mk4--most refined

CONS:
    Mk1--scary brakes and unpredictable handling
    Mk2--??
    Mk3--smallest power/weight ratio
    Mk4--lost GTI flavor (too refined to be a TRUE GTI?)

Does anybody agree with these judgments?
  • e101e101 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot where i read it but i did read that what is being said here IS VW's goal. VW is transitioning the Golf to more of a luxury car and giving up it's sporty image and attributes.That is what i read. Motor Trend i think?
  • drkdrk Member Posts: 2
    VR-6 GTI v. BMW 318ti
    Any and all-

I am considering the purchase of a used, very low mile 1997 BMW 318Ti or a VW VR-6 GTI. I have driven both and am aware that the VW has the superior engine, by far.

I think the BMW has the better steering, handling, build quality, looks, brakes and resale, though.

Have any of you compared them and, if so, what are you thoughts/driving impressions?

Thanks for any responses.
  • neilmcgneilmcg Member Posts: 3
    I own a Black 1997 5 speed GTI 2.0L with 17,500 miles, mudflaps, a 6 cd trunk changer and everything else that comes standard with a GTI. (ABS, A/C, fog lamps, power moonroof, alloy wheels, premium 8 speaker sound system with AM/FM cassette, theft deterrent system, power locks) I live on Long Island, New York and I am looking to sell this car to a good home for $14,000. Anyone interested can e-mail me at neilmcg@hotmail.com. It is in excellent condition and still under the manufacturer's warranty.
    To drk and neimcg:

drk--
    Both are great hatches but I think the GTI will give you more bang for the buck. I think the 318ti is way too much $$ for what you're getting.

You can't compare the VR-6 to the 318ti. The VR-6 is superior. You can compare the 318ti with the 2.0L GTI though.

If you do decide to get the 318ti, do it now b/c when the 1999 comes out you'll be very dissappointed with the new performance (116hp, sohc, 8v, 1.9liter, 0-60 in 10.1). Hey, the 2.0L GTI is looking REALLY GOOD now for only $15,500!

neibmcg--
    I have the exact figures on my GTI except for the mileage (only 7,500). Why are you selling it????
  • neilmcgneilmcg Member Posts: 3
    guy p :

I love my VW GTI to death. In fact I love VW's period! I am sure I will own plenty more in my life time, but I am selling my GTI to buy the new Miata to satisfy my convertable roadster fix while I am still limber enough to get in and out of one. I will let you know if it is a big mistake or not.
  • rchurchu Member Posts: 1
    neilmcg,

I've got a 96 Miata and I've found it to be the most perfect car I've ever driven. I can't wait to try the new Miata considering all the great publicity it's received. Just the same, I won't go paying MSRP b/c it would not be a sound financial decision. So buyer beware, word is that people are paying sticker to get the new Miata.

Just to prove I'm not lurking on this list. Does anyone have an opinion on the 4 door Golf? Reliability? Performance? etc....
    I bought my second VW 4 door Golf in 1996 to replace my 1987 model. I love it. As you may have seen in another discussion, I've got a thing about everyone having his own door & window that rolls down, including the backseat passengers.

Overall, I think the 4 door is more versatile. You won't break your back getting the groceries, baby, recycling, etc. out of the back seat. It's handy if you regularly drive with three or more passengers and I think it's easier to put the seats all the way down to use the hatch area.

Ooops, you didn't ask about the ergonomics, did you? :-) Reliability is great. I've had only the regular service plus a couple of minor things (fuse out in lighter which meant no cord access to cell phone.) I do 90% of my driving in the city and I want a car that *moves* when I step on the gas. This Golf is even better than the last one in that respect.

Lurkers, any other testimonies to share??
  • yankeesVyankeesV Member Posts: 1
    I drive a '96 vw golf 4door GL, drive about 24K a year. Commute is 35 mi one way. No trouble with the black beauty in the 18 months and 40 K driven so far.
    Only complaint, I was getting 33 mph until winter set in and it went to 30 mph. dealer adviced to use mobile gas, which I did.
    Highly recommend the car. perfect driving position, excellent road handling, will do 9o mph with out a wimper, althouth the tach is pushing over 4k.
    As the the Golf 3 design is retiring next year, a new Golf 4 will be taking its place. Will this new generation live up to its acclaimed lineage? We will all have to wait until next spring!

I'm curious to here from other Golf/GTI owners on which they believe is the best generation of Golf/GTI and 'why?'.
  • stryjstryj Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 98 Golf GL over a Honda Civic Hatch.
    Hearing some nasty rumors about the reliability of this car based on assembly in Mexico. Should I be concerned...any stories/recalls etc.
    There have always been rumors about Mexico ever since VW started producing cars there. I'm fairly certain that the VWs we've owned have all been made in Mexico (if I'm wrong, watch for bnormann to come along and set me straight) and we haven't had any special problems because of it. If you are especially worried, take a look at Edmund's information on Recalls since 1989.

Check it out, then relax and enjoy your new car!
    stryj,

First, I'd like to congratulate you on making a wise choice!

Second, don't mind what other people are saying about reliability problems that you haven't even seen yourself. Unfortunately, it is the message people seem to be passing around, but personally I have had no reliability problems with my '97 GTI. Neither have I heard of horror stories from other Golf 3 owners. So relax...and enjoy that Fahrvergnugen!

Here's a tidbit for you: According to 'Consumer Guide', the 2.0L-powered Golfs are more reliable than their VR6-powered brothers!
  • elmerjfuddelmerjfudd Member Posts: 3
    Anyone experience or hear of problems w/ radio reception on recent A3 VW's? Is there anything that can be done other than buying a new radio to remedy this situation? Is it the Fuba antenna or a crappy tuner? Thanks for your input.
    stryj,

Carlady has had 3 VWs:

'87 Fox GL from Brazil (GREAT reliability, really liked that car!)

'89 Golf GL from PA (made in the last 6 months of production before they closed the doors and shifted production temporarily to Germany while they ramped up production at Puebla. You can guess how bad that one was...

'96 Golf GL from Puebla (so far so good. Engine and transmission are all from "the Old Country" and all the electrics are Bosch. Fit and finish look good, no rattles to speak of.

Bottom line is that VW has had a presence in Mexico and Brazil forever and have strong markets there. I also doubt they have as extensive a service organization in those areas and it reminds me of a story I heard about Kraco or Sparcomatic (they made the car audio stuff for K-Mart, etc.). The story goes that their quality was one of the highest in the business because they had such low margins that they couldn't afford returns or warranty problems. Their solution was not the obvious one, but I do think it's an admirable one.

Bruce.
    Elmer,

I just bought an $85 Blaupunkt MESA that beats the knobs off the deck in our 96 Golf GL with the standard (1/2 wave) whip antenna. Cassette performance is still only so-so, but the tuner is way better. It's a DIN mount, so a swap would be pretty easy. The hard part will probably be getting the old radio out without disrupting the alarm stuff.

Bruce.
  • eric022eric022 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I am only 17 years old, but I am interested in buying my first car, most likely the 98 Glof GTI. I have about $4,000 and am wondering if this is the best car that I can get. I just want a car that will last a long time and verry reliable. Please get back to me. My budget is $20,000.
  • sgoddardsgoddard Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard about the new 1999 Golf? It's supposed to be coming out this summer. The little that I have heard makes it sound like Volkswagen is finally making Golfs for the youth who wants comfort and for the older person who wants a practical, inexpensive car. I am looking for info because I would like a 4-door Golf but don't want to get the Golf basic.
    eric022,
    It all depends on how you want to spend your money. If you are ready to spend $20K for your first car, you're doing very well! Anyway, at that price the market has widened greatly with the VR6 variant among the lot. If you want to save about $4-5K, the 2.0L GTI is a great alternative- fun to drive. Wait and see how you like the new 1999 Golf b/f you by an A3. If you don't like the new one then you can buy the A3 for a reduced price.

sgoddard,
    I believe the 1999 Golfs are moving back to Germany for production(good news). VW is going upscale with all their cars. Quality will be much improved, but the "Golf/GTI" feel will dissipate. We'll just have to be patient and see.
  • HFitzHFitz Member Posts: 13
    When are the '99s available? Anyone know. I'm ready to buy and wondering if I should hold off (don't want to kick myself later if I just adore the design changes of the '99 VW Golf/GTI)

anyone know?
    The '99 Golfs should be stateside this Fall!
  • shredheadshredhead Member Posts: 3
    To eric
    Advice I can offer:
    Test drive lots of different cars to make a wise decission, besides it's fun.
    I love VW's but bought an Integra GSR recently because I believed I would have fewer problems in the long run. Plus the GSR has a 170hp 8000rpm engine that is awesome to drive. We spent about $19,500 before taxes and stuff. If that is to much then check out the GS which is much cheaper and still has 130hp.
    I like the character and style of the GTI better but enjoy driving the GSR more. Good luck, it is a very tough decision.
  • eric022eric022 Member Posts: 2
    I have hard from Volkswagen rumors that their 99 Golf will not debut until next Januray in a Detroit car show.
  • DanaRDanaR Member Posts: 37
    I was recently in The Netherlands and stopped into a VW dealer to take a look at the Golf iv. It was really nice, especially inside. If feels like a cozy Passat, with really high quality materials and nice styling touches. The exterior has more personality than the A3. All in all its a giant leap forward for the car. I'd advise anybody to wait for it. Sorry to say that I didn't have the opportunity to drive one.
  • RojareynRojareyn Member Posts: 7
    Howdy!

Does anyone know anything about where one could find an after-market Cruise Control for the VW Golf? I'm probably going to buy a new car in about 6 months and would like a Golf; however, it doesn't come with Cruise Control, even as an option which leaves me with the more expensive Jetta. Since the Golf better meets my needs, I'd prefer to buy it than spend about $2000 extra for a car :)

Thanks!
  • infoinfo Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking about purchasing a Golf GL/GTI 2.0L and was wondering if these were safe cars. I read in consumer reports that the Jetta did poorly but nothing was mentioned about the golf. I heard the new bug did great but I need safety info on the A3's. I also wanted to know what newer models are equipped with four disk brake systems. Do you recommend ABS? How much should I expect to pay for a GL or a GTI 2.0L

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    The Golfs did pretty well in crash tests. You can find out more about this in any consumer magazine on cars. The GL will save you about $2000 off the 2.0L GTI. I recommend the GTI though b/c of all the goodies you get, including added safety features like 4-wheel disc brakes and ABS standard.
    Hello VW people. I have a question for you guys and gals. With the new arrivals of the Golf4 around the corner does that mean the end of the 2.0 liter engine? I have read in magazines about the 1.8t that will be used in the new golf/jettas but nothing about the 2.0L. Any info would be appreciated. Can one put rear disc brakes on a GL or would it be safer and cheaper to buy a GTI( about $2,000 difference)?

Rick
    Just wanted to wish all the moms out there a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY( especially all you VW moms).

Rick
    Rick, how sweet of you. I'm not a mom, though it has been suggested that my moniker here be carmom vs. carlady in keeping with the family atmosphere we cultivate here in Hatchbacks. ;-)

carmom... um, carlady/host
  • michelangelomichelangelo Member Posts: 6
    CarLady, I am curious as to why you got rid of your 87 Golf. I have an 86 with 79k miles and I love it. It fits me. My son and husband say to get a new car since it is so old. Did you have a mechanical problom? I looked at a Subaru Forester which handled well but I think I like the 98 Golf GL 4 door better. I carry 600+ lbs. of horse feed in my current Golf--is that overloading? Payload on Subaru is 975--I couldn't find a load rating for the Golf.
    CarLady--I wrote the previous message for my wife since I was already logged on. The questions are from JoAnn. Sorry for any confusion.
    info,

VW is being coy about future engine choices, but here's my best guess. The current cast iron 8V 2.0 liter engine will go away. It will be replaced by the normally aspirated 20V 1.8 liter that is currently used in the Audi A3 (Europe only). This engine makes 125HP vs 150 for the turbo version of the same engine. BTW, the turbo motor can make 180HP easy with a chip upgrade.

Believe it or not, I think VW will keep the VR6 around in the US, where "there's no substitute for cubic inches". They went to the trouble to make a 2.3 liter VR5 version (yep, 5 cyl again!?) for the European Golf, even though it makes exactly the same power as the turbo 5V 1.8 liter. Different strokes for different Volks [:'0

Bruce. your roving host.
    Michaelangelo or JoAnn,

Bruce, your roving host, made carlady get rid of her beloved 89 Golf, because of some clunking and whirring that was beginning to appear randomly from the automatic transmission. The car was in good shape with <60k miles on it, so I knew we would get good trade-in allowance for it. Sure enough, we paid $9500 and we got $3500. $6000 for 7 years of ownership seemed like a pretty good deal.

The car was driven a lot in town (Washington DC) and we never had to replace the struts, CV joints, or much else. Sometimes it makes sense to get out while the gettin's good. We replaced it with a near identical model and now we have that 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

I think that 600 lb load is at or near the limit for cargo load, I'll check our manual tomorrow.

Still Happy Volks..

Bruce. your roving host.
    Bruce, thanks for the reply. JoAnn loves her 86 Golf but with about 80k miles, I am trying to talk her into getting a new car-VW or Subaru are what she has driven so far. Thanks again and we'll let you know what she decides to do-she may still hang onto her 86.
    Mike and JoAnn
    It's true, I had no plans to part with my '87 Golf until bnormann advised a change... I looked at other cars (Honda Civic, Saab 900, Ford Contour, Dodge Neon, Saturn something - can't remember- and probably a few others as well) and came to the conclusion that I still like the Golf the best. If you like it and it works well for your purposes, I'd keep it -- especially if it's paid for! :-)

On the other hand, there really is something about that new car smell....

carlady/host
  • mguisadomguisado Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 98 GTI-VR6 and it broke down at 300km.

It seems that the Fuel Delivery System (fuel pump)failed. Should I be worried or just chalk it up to a bug. I have heard that there may be problems with Golf fuel pumps. But this is all second hand info. Regardless I am thinking of Rejecting the car. Any comments?

mg
    I just saw first hand the 20V Turbo Golf 4 today...in the States!

Apparently, VW Sport USA of Alexandria got hold of one in Germany and was able to trade an American-spec New Beetle for the Euro-spec Golf 4.

It is very nice. The body is bigger and more modern looking than the Golf 3. I personally like the looks of the Golf 3 better.

So if any one sees a Jazz Blue Golf 4, don't be too surprised! :)

Recently I bolted on a Eurosport cat-back exhaust system and an Autothority chip for my '97 8v GTI. Both are worthwhile upgrades if you're looking for a bit of boost on your 4-cylinder Golf. Both items run about $200 a piece, give or take $40.

To: mguisado -
    Wow. That's the first time I have heard of that problem. Pretty scary though! I would like to hear about what you plan to do about it. Keep in touch.
    We saw a yellow Golf 4 screaming past us on the beltway which rings Washington, DC. It seems it is from the same shop you mention, Guy P. I have to say, it looked like the driver was having fun, at least during the nanosecond in which he passed us. :-)

mguisado, sounds rough. I haven't heard anything about that problem. Please let us know how it works out for you.

carlady/Edmunds host
  • mguisadomguisado Member Posts: 3
    Well I got my car back yesterday. It did not take long to fix but the bill would have been over $800 if I would of had to pay for it my self.

I spoke to the sales manager and he said that if I have any more problems they would replace the car. I hope it dosn't come to that. I will also speak to VW customer care and make sure that the problem is logged. I hope that when I sell it 6 or 7 years from now I can say that the only problem I've had was a bad feul pump at 300k.

I have heard that VW is moving the Golf more upscale and the GTI's away from it's sporting roots. Can't wait to see one.
  • SciroccoScirocco Member Posts: 1
    Hi, everybody,
    I've been reading all your posts over the last few weeks. Thinking about getting a silver '98 A3 GTI. Thinking hard. Since I am a student, I need to save up a big down payment, and try to get the payments low, because I know that my insurance is gonna triple (I've got a '78 Scirocco w/ about 300,000 miles - I think... That's where the odometer was stopped, when I got the car 3 years ago.)
    In my test drive of the 4-cyl. GTI yesterday, I was impressed. I've also driven the VR6, and was very impressed.
    See you on the Road!
    -Scirocco
  • OriSharirOriSharir Member Posts: 3
    I was on the verge of buying a GOLF GL until I heard about the new revamped model. Now I'm obsessing over whether to wait or see what comes out. Does anyone know details about this new GOLF or can suggest where I can go for information? It's been 10 years since my last car purchase, and I'm a little gun shy. Thanks for your help.
    OriSharir,

If you can wait that long, it makes sense to have a choice. There will still be 98's on the lot when the 99's hit, so you can do a one-on-one comparison. If you like the 98 better, then you will probably get a great deal on it. If you like the 99 better, you can congratulate yourself for your self discipline.

I've bought cars in both situations (an 87 VW Fox from the first boatload and a 91 Honda CRX from the last boatload) and been happy both times.

Check the earlier posts in this topic for peoples impressions of the A4 Golf. There's quite a few posts that directly address your concerns.
    Just hit "Show All Responses" at the top of the page.

Bruce. your roving host.
  • seamusfurrseamusfurr Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market for a new car, finally unloading the '86 Celica GT that has served me so honorably over the last few years. I did my test-driving last weekend, and a '98 GTI seems like the one for me (in a tight race over the Outback Sport). I had a blast driving it, and I'd like to snap one up before they Audi-ize it next year.

How has the experience been for people with buying a GTI? I know it's technically a "niche" car (fewer than 2,000 sold this year in US), so does that leave little negotiating room? And does that eliminate the strategy of faxing offers to dealers? Also, do you think it will be hard to find one in Ginster Yellow?

Thanks for your reponses.
  • JoeIlardoJoeIlardo Member Posts: 2
    I am driving a 91 Mazda 4-door hatch, and I love it but it's getting on in years (like me). Does anyone know whether the 1999 VW Golf will be a hatch? How big will it be? (The current Golf is a bit small for my taste.) How about the release date? My local VW dealer claims to have "no idea" when it will arrive in showrooms!

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.