Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• Options
    farkasfarkas Member Posts: 13
    Thanks, i might try it but im not sure ill be able to do this job.
  • Options
    mikezttmanmikezttman Member Posts: 1
    hi there i am new to this orun so please be patient with me
    i have a p reg accent 3 door and the headlights are stuck on all the time
    only way i can turn the off is to pull what looks like a fuse in abox from the fusebox on the pass side of the car above the wheel.

has anyone any idea where the relay is thats controls this or have any ideas how to sort it out

many thanks

mikezttman
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    Very clear. Which type does this Accent have?
  • Options
    shrewshrew Member Posts: 6
    Why is this a problem? Here in Canada it is the law to have headlights on all the time, at least the daytime lights. My car is the same way, if I have the headlights turned all the way "off", my daytime lights are still on. Is this what you are talking about?
  • Options
    phillbillphillbill Member Posts: 93
    For the ignition system on Hyundai Accents, i think its the inductive type.
  • Options
    good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent/automatic transmission/4 door. Bought it from a small dealership in town in May of 2004 with 40K. Has about 65K on it right now. Not one single problem. It shakes a little like any little car, but it is more reliable than any of our American-made cars. It's fun to drive, and it sounds "mean" when you accelerate really fast. Gas mileage is great! 35+ MPG, especially when gas prices are sky-rocketing.
    Hyundai is getting a good reputation, which means their prices are going to go up. Get yours why you can!
    If you want an SUV, we know people with the Santa Fe, and they love it. With 22-25MPG, that would be an excellent one to drive around in. I'm looking into trading in my 1997 Plymouth Voyager (which, by the way, is broken and won't start) for a Santa Fe.
    If there's one thing I'd change, it'd be having power windows and locks. I miss that! Otherwise, air is cold, runs good, and it's a pretty smooth ride for a really small car! :D;)
  • Options
    baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    My oldest one ( 17 ) will need a car to go to the college next fall.

We looked at the cheapest car to insure for him and the Accent/ Rio came up as the cheapest one to insure.

The year we looked at are 2002/03 35000 to 45000 miles max, basic model preferably Automatic (his choice )...

Do you recommend this car based on your experience, what to expect ? decent reliability ??

Thanks to you all
  • Options
    smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I bought a new 2002 Accent with AT, drove it for 3 years, and now my son has it. I had two problems at different times. It was idling fast (2500+ RPM) and it would not shift (bad pulse generator). Both were repaired free under warranty. I saw the original bills. They would have been under $100 in each case. Other than that, no problem with 45,000 miles. He prefers the hatchback over the Corolla sedan he was driving before. When he bought a TV, he had to unbox it to fit in the Corolla. With the Accent hatchback, you have a lot of room with the backseats folded down. He can get both his computer system and TV in there now.
  • Options
    thanks smalltown , for your feedback its appreciated
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    My daughter has a 2001 Accent GL 4-door with an automatic. She has not had any real trouble. One recall for something minor on the engine and a pulse generator (warranty items). Now has about 40000 miles on it. Had to replace all four tires, front brake pads and a rear brake wheel cylinder. Also did spark plugs at 30000 miles. Tuff little car that can take a fair amount of abuse, i.e. youthful driver. Change oil every 3000 miles.
  • Options
    shrewshrew Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Accent that I bought new and have been driving for about a year and a half with no problems at all. I was also looking for a cheap new car, and so far I have had no regrets. If the older models are anything like the '04, I definitely recommend it!
  • Options
    good4ugood4u Member Posts: 18
    My 2000 Hyundai Accent's gas (can) light is flickering on and off. Could it be serious? The car runs normal, but the engine squeaks once in awhile. The car has 70K on it.
  • Options
    encouraging comment , thanks to you all
  • Options
    If it is just the fuel warning light coming on, even though the fuel gauge displays full, then I reckon that it's a fault in the lighting circuit for that particular dashboard light; an open circuit for instance. in which case i don't think it's anything to worry about.

If the fuel gauge displays empty all the time as well as the fuel warning light being constantly lit then it's likely to be a fault in the system that detects fuel level in the tank... ie a fault with the ball-cock within the tank, a fault with the resistor within the circuit which moves the fuel gauge etc.... again nothing to worry about... just annoying when you cant see the fuel level displayed.

as long as you remember to keep your car topped up every couple of hundred miles then it should be ok.

a few squeaks now and then from the engine can be expected with general wear and tear of the engine over time. Keep to the scheduled oil changes and various other servicing procedures and you should have a god few years left in your Accent.
  • Options
    brunshawbrunshaw Member Posts: 2
    Hope someone can help? When applying the brakes there is what i can only descrbe as what sounds like a spring or coil noise and the brake pedal goes hard for a split second.This has been going on for about three months . The cars braking operation has continued to work fine ,never failed . Even tried an emergency stop several times ,no problems .Just this horrible loud noise . Could this be an ABS problem and is it safe to continue driving? Please help.
  • Options
    Don't think your ABS is faulty, squeaking brakes is generally the symptom of worn brake pads.

If they've not been changed for 15,000 - 60,000 miles (depending on how you drive) then it's probably due a brake pad change. Most likely to be just the front pads that are worn, but may as well check the rear brake shoes as well. May as well also change the brake fluid while you're working on the brake system, should be changed every 2 years or 20,000 miles
  • Options
    brunshawbrunshaw Member Posts: 2
    Brake pads have been renwed within last six months . The noise appears to be from around pedal area and can also feel it when brake is applied.
  • Options
    does the sound persist while the brakes are on, could be some grit that's inbedded within your new pads.

Or is it just when the brake pedal is moved...which could mean the lever on the brake pedal may need greasing.
  • Options
    kennym1kennym1 Member Posts: 1
    The timing belt broke in my son's 1996 Hyandai Accent with 120,000 miles on it. Is there any possibility the engine did not get trashed?
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I took a quick look at the Gates Corporation website (they make timing belts, etc) and it looks like the '96 Hyundai Accent has an interference engine.

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

If that's correct, then that means it's likely that at least some valves were pancaked and will need to be replaced.

Was that the original timing belt?
  • Options
    toni7toni7 Member Posts: 1
    HI I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent. Just last week it started to makeing a noise in the back area. When I'm driving or when I stop the car. Lots of people tell me that it is just air in the gas tank but I really don't know what to do. If you'll can help me e-mail me @ m_toni02@yahoo.com thanks.Other than that everything is good
  • Options
    have you noticed that your fuel consumption has increased too?

most likely to be one of the following: a vacuum leak, one or more of your fuel injectors leaking or a hole or leak in the car's exhaust.
  • Options
    jcolejcole Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a good used 2001 Accent 4 door automatic with 80K. My daughter has had good luck with her 96 with 150K and it is still running strong so I thought this 01 would be a good gas saver.

My problem is that if I go up hills (many here in upstate NY) and keep the accelerator down so it stays in 3rd I get a very Hot smell. The engine does not overheat, it smells more like an hot exhaust pipe smell. It only does it going up the hills, when I crest the hill and the trans. goes into overdrive the smell clears up. Any thoughts on this?

The car did not come with a book. What is the life of the timing belt. On the old 96 we would change it every 60K. How much does the change cost?

Thanks!
  • Options
    vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Hey, jcole, I have a '99 4dr Accent auto with 186,000 miles on it and it still runs like new. No squeaks or rattles, burns no oil between changes (oil changes done every 25,000 miles with Amsoil synthetic), ice cold air, and 34-36 miles per gallon. I bought it new in Feb '99. I also have noticed a "hot metal pipe smell" since I have owned it, mostly when parked in my garage after my 70+ mile commute to the city. I'm also in upstate N.Y., dealing with some hilly terrain. I don't get the smell inside the car, only when I park it in an enclosed area and get out, but it definately has the smell as if I just had an exhaust pipe or muffler replaced.
    As far as the timing belt goes, the manual recommends replacing it every 60,000 miles, which I have done as well. My '99 has an interference motor, which means it will be destroyed if the belt breaks. I am not as sure about the '01. The dealer here in Orange Cty. wanted $350.00 to do the timing belt along with the 3 drive belts as well, which I always do together. My mechanic did them all for $250.00.
    If you have proof that it was done at 60,000 then you are good until 120,000.
    I hope this helps and good luck.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • Options
    kar060kar060 Member Posts: 1
    hello,
    so im 18, and i just bought myself a Hyundai Accent GSI 1999

I am looking for an economic car, one's that good on gas, ect. i guess i got what i was looking for..

anyways, my question..

When should i have my "economy button" on? Should it be off when im on the highway?

Also..

When should i have my O/D button on? Should it be on when i have my economy button on?

please help me, im absolutly uliterate when it comes to cars....
  • Options
    admpilotadmpilot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Accent GL and the most I've got from a fuel tank is 200 miles in the city. Could anyone tell me how big is this tank so that I can figure out my MPG? Thank you to all of you.
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    You don't need to know the size of the tank to calculate your MPG. You simply fill-up and record your odometer reading, then drive. Then the next time you buy gas, you fill-up again. Record the amount of fuel purchased and the odometer reading again. Calculate how many miles you drove then divide the miles by the amount of gasoline purchased. That's your MPG.

You will need to know the capacity of the tank to determine your driving range. Edmunds.com lists the tank capacity of the 4 door Accent GL as 11.9 gallons. 2 door models apparently have the same capacity. I'd use 10 (leave yourself a safety margin) times your MPG to calculate your range.
  • Options
    vermonter16vermonter16 Member Posts: 29
    I had a problem with brakes on my honda before. Turns out the shop but the wrong pads on. They made a noise though and I felt a clunk when I would press on the pedal. However, if you got these put on at a Hyundai dealership then that shouldn't be it. How soon after did it start happening?
  • Options
    trafficboytrafficboy Member Posts: 14
    with all the accent & small car buzz because of the gas prices.. I thought it cool to show you guys hyundai's little guy from europe
    http://www.auto-sfondi-desktop.com/Wallpapers_Hyundai_/Hyundai-Atos/Hyundai-Atos- _640.jpg
  • Options
    vermonter16vermonter16 Member Posts: 29
    I love it! It is almost as cute as the Yaris! It feels very european!
  • Options
    99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    I have heard of Horra stories when some so called even good mechanic replaced a timing belt for the first time on the car , my car runs so good Im tempeting to push it and its emissions are california which in the manual says 100K replacemnt , and its made of kevlar ,stronger
  • Options
    99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    Who has gone over 100k on the accent water pump and still going? :D ">
  • Options
    The belts wont break dead on 100k, but when the engine belt and the water pump belt go past the 4 yr (40,000 mile) mark, they're more prone to breaking with age / perrishing / wear and tear etc.

Only cost me an extra £100-£135 to change the belts as part of my 50,000 mile service, well worth it if it saves your engine.
  • Options
    djdublmdjdublm Member Posts: 19
    This is for a friend of mine her check engine light is on we took her car to AutoZone and they checked the code and its a P0441 which states the PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission control system is incorrect for the current engince operating conditions. So what do we do for this is this something i can possibly fix or is it going to need a mechanic with more diagnostic tools that what a shade tree mechanic might have? Thanks for any help
  • Options
    vlj1vlj1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Accent GL gets horrible gas mileage. Any ideas as to what the problems could be? :cry:
  • Options
    how you drive has a large influence on your cars mileage. If im just driving round town, i sometimes get less than 270 miles out of my 44 litre tank of petrol, however when im doing long distance journeys at a steady 55-60 mph, i'll get over 500 miles out of the tank. On average i get about 350 miles out of my 1.3 Accent per tank.

have you changed the air filter within the last 2 years (20,000 miles)? If that's clogged up with muck it'll affect your mileage.

Your petrol injectors, they rarely, if ever need changing, but they can get clogged up. try mixing a bottle of petrol injector cleaner in with your next tank of petrol.

Fuel filter, if that's clogged up with grime it'll affect your cars mileage. This filter should be changed every 4 years (40,000 miles). Unless your confident at car maintenance i'd leave this job for your garage, as you have to get rid of the pressure within the fuel lines before removing it, i believe... not done it myself though.

Tracking... if you're wheels aren't aligned up correctly: toeing in / toeing out, it not only increases tyre wear and causes excessive wear on suspension components, but affects your mileage.

Hopefully it'll be one of these, as none of them are too hard / expensive to fix.
  • Options
    vlj1vlj1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much phillbill. I am definitely going to do the things you suggested and see if that helps.
  • Options
    krose68krose68 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similiar noise (generally during low acceleration) with my 2000 Accent. Did you find out what the grindng noise was with your car?

Thanks,
    Ken
  • Options
    No, i've just put up with it. my cat passes it's MOT every year, so it can't be that serious.

If you would like to find out what it is, maybe try jacking the car up and spinning the wheel round. I've heard of the rotor (part of the brakes) rubbing against things before. If this is the case, you could take the rotor off and put it on the grind stone so that it doesn't rub anymore.

It could also be your C.V. joint(s), but when they go it's usually more of a clicking sound.
  • Options
    buddygleebuddyglee Member Posts: 44
    Hello,

I have a 2001 accent 2 door auto w/78800 miles. Sometimes when at a stop or slowly going around a corner the transmission feels like it loses power for a second and then catches. Fluid level is full Any Ideas?

Thanks.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I've had a similar problem when going over speed bumps or almost stopping & then accelerating on my 2002. All three times they've replaced the pulse generator B... whatever the hell that is. It has fixed the problem but has reoccured. Take your car to Autozone & have them pull the trouble codes. You might have one for the transmission even if your check engine light is not on.
  • Options
    It really feels like the oil is low and when the rpm is up it pushes the fluid through and then goes like it should? The check engine light came on once before but Spark plugs and wires fixed that. The engine does not seem unresponsive just the transmission? Pulse generator I believe is just a box that supplies electricity to the spark plug kind of like the Coil use to do. I went to the auto parts store and asked what type of tranny fluid it took thinking it was low and they said that it is a dealer only item. I went to the dealer and they charged me about 7 dollars for a quart. heck of a racket. Ill keep an eye on it. Thanks for the input, It could quite possibly be that pulse generator I reckon.
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I don't have my shop manual with me but I seem to remember the pulse generator being a transmission related component. I have no idea though. Mine kinda does the same thing, then downshifts hard & goes. Amsoil synthetic ATF meets the hyundai spec & is about $2.00 cheaper per quart. Not to mention a million times better ATF.
  • Options
    Amsoil Synthetic? I will write that down. I bought the dealer oil then got home and checked the level and it was fine. Do'oh. Thanks for the response though glad to see I am not alone with the problem. I would still like to know what exactly the pulse Gen is if it isn't akin to the coil.
  • Options
    Pulse generator: as said above, it's a box which supplies the spark plugs with spark...it has four points (one for each spark plug) and a live rotor arm which spins round in time with the engine, making contact with the points as it goes round, allowing electricity to flow to the required spark plugs.
  • Options
    Thank You for the clarification.
  • Options
    mattpjmattpj Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 hyundai accent and 3 weeks ago I started hearing a clunk coming from the driver side front end while turning left or accelerating from a stop. I also noticed that the front driver's side is about 1 inch lower than the passenger side. I ordered new struts and strut mounts but i don't know if that's the problem, or if the two are even related.
  • Options
    mannybeemannybee Member Posts: 4
    2002 Accent manual transmission 78k no work done except oil changes tire rotation every 5k. last 2 summers on hot days 90F + the a/c clutch engages and instead of the minor bump in engine speed the engine races uncontrollably until i either turn off the engine or switch off the a/c.
  • Options
    the clicking when turning on full left could be the CV joint...could check this yourself, you should see a rubber seal around a joint connecting a shaft to the wheel, feel all around it checking to see if grease is leaking out...this would also explain the clicking at high acelleration

not long ago i thought my shock absorbers had gone as two of my wheels were up under the arches and the other two showed lots of clearance, turned out i was on uneven ground, try parking on some flat tar mac maybe?

if this doesn't help, i'd say the sagging is due to worn suspension parts, mainly the shock absorbers lean on the front driver wing of your car, and apply the same pressure to the passenger side, does the car go down more on the one side? if so then it'll probably be your shock's.
  • Options
    Ive heard of a few people having this problem, each time it's been due to somthing different, here are the three causes I know of:

The air con compressor was in need of replacement
    One of the sensors in the air con system was faulty
    The system was wired up incorrectly

Hope that's of some help.