Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Comments

• grlaerisgrlaeris Member Posts: 1
    hi celica owners! i'm going to buy the new 2000 celica but i have a quesiton that maybe some of you could help me out with. i know this is strange but i really don't like manual transmissions, to get an automatic one i would have to pay about an extra thousand. do you think this is worth it? thank. and what do you think is a fair price? in edmunds,it's about 17,000 for standard features. do you think with tax, a moon roof, and spoiler, i could get it for about 20,000?
  • gradient_xgradient_x Member Posts: 1
    Im not trying to start a flame fest here, but I am trying to decide between the celica GTS and the Acura GSR. If comparably equipped, the GTS is about $2,700 more than the GSR (Leather seats, moon-roof, ABS, etc). However, acura body style hasn't changed much since 1994 and is a little dated ( although I do like it). I know this is a little open ended, but what do you think.. any input is welcome.
  • elig1elig1 Member Posts: 2
    we havent decided on a residual yet--what do u suggest would be a fair resid?

i will prob drive 15k the 1st year but then i start my medical residency and i will be way to busy for any road trips for at least the next few years.

what's the lease start up costs?

i was told the only thing i need to do is put my car down. I was given an offer of 2750 for it which is way more than its worth. I assume they did that instead of other deals (rebates etc)

Thanx for the input
  • spacecasespacecase Member Posts: 2
    Hi Gradient
    Here are a few facts....

The Celica has more interior room than the GSR.
    1.3 cu. ft. more passenger volume
    1.4 in. more legroom
    1.0 in. more hip room
    .9 in. more front shoulder room
    and finally 3.6 cu. ft. more trunk room.

According to a recent Road&Track magazine test, the Celica is 0-60 is 6.8, the GSR 7.2
    60-0 braking the Celica 130 ft. GSR 137 ft.
    Lateral G Celica .86 GSR .80
    Slalom Celica 63.6 MPH GSR 62.0 MPH

The Celica has 10 more horse and 2 more torque.

My GTS has fog lights, amplifier, rear heat ducts (under front seat), 2 more speakers than GT, leather wrapped steering wheel...

The stereo JAMS!!!

I can shift with the steering wheel buttons if I want...

And best of all it's a TOYOTA!!!

And can you believe the 16" wheel option was only
    $60 retail... duh... easy decision there...

Y2K Styling AND performance...

I got the technical data from a TOYOTA brochure called Edge. (From local dealer)
    It compares the TOYOTA to the GSR, the Eclipse, and the Cougar...
    I'm sure the GSR was better in some things, but THAT wouldn't be found in this particular publication...

Hope this helps...
  • spider26spider26 Member Posts: 14
    If your a big Honda fan then you should wait for the new Integra that should be arriving here in a year or two, but if you need a car now I have to agree with spacecase, because I have a GT-S six speed and I love it.

Does any one know the gear ratios for the automatic GT-S and the GT, because my girl friend wants a GT-S but she can't drive stick and I want to compare them to see which would be better for her. And some 0-60 times would be nice too. Thanks
    P.S. That guy who got his GT-S Sportshift for 22,000 got a really good deal!
    Motor Trend or Road & Track, last time I checked, listed 40 mpg during NORMAL highway driving. If this is true, then that is truly amazing for a sports car. But I wonder how fast they where going? If this is correct then how did they get this number, because I heard it was around 30-35 mpg on the highway.
  • roadroachroadroach Member Posts: 131
    Seems like a perfect opportunity to teach your girlfriend how to drive a stick. With the Celica, it should be real easy. I taught my wife how to drive a manual using my old 5.0 Mustang with a Ford motorsports clutch and I came up with a really good technique to teach a beginner with.

Step one: practice getting the car moving WITHOUT EVER TOUCHING THE GAS. Go from the clutch fully in to fully out in 1st gear. This teaches the beginner where the clutch engagement point is and what it feels like. It may get boring but if they do it for 15-20 minutes, the rest of this will go real easy. They can also practice feathering the clutch which will come in handy latter when they are learning how to start on a hill. After they are comfortable with clutch engagement then...

Step two: practice the coordination between clutch and gas. If the driver has step one down pat, this will be easy since the only thing you're adding is a little gas.

I found out the hard way that its pretty difficult if you try to teach the whole gas-clutch-shift thing at once. Get them used to where the engagement point is and how it works though and the rest is very easy.
  • navy4navy4 Member Posts: 44
    The residual value is the estimated market value of the car at the end of the lease term. You don't negotiate this, it is set by the leasing company, i.e. Toyota Motor Credit, BankOne, etc. Lease start up fees are usually, the first months lease payment, acquisition fee and any delivery handling charges. It sounds like the dealer is taking the start up fees out of trade allowance.

If you feel good with the deal - payment, mileage per year, they go for it.

P.S. Make sure it is a closed end lease with a guaranteed residual value.
  • gmc4x4gmc4x4 Member Posts: 1
    If a GT-S is over 100 lbs lighter then a Civic Si and has more Hp and Torque, how could edmunds even say it is slower? I didnt even mention the six speed gearbox...even not driving the cars u can tell that the GT-S is much faster. Does anyone have a comparison against the new integra Type R? I am interseted in those results too. A quarter mile test would tell u much more about the performance. the intergra type R has a higher redline, but still a 5 speed. thanks for any info.
    GTS vs Si - It's generally a bad idea to do a direct comparison of acceleration data (or slalom, braking, etc.) from test "A" and compare to test "B" UNLESS you know the cars where tested under the same conditions on the same track and preferably by the same driver. I generally find a real comparison test as done by several auto mags (ie the 7 sports coupe roundup in C&D in 12/99) much more reliable.

Type 'R' vs. GTS - I drive a GTS 6-speed. I haven't seen a direct test comparison between the two but I would expect the GTS to get its clock cleaned. The Type 'R' is much closer to a real track car that is civilized (to a point) for the street. I would expect the 1/4 to be pretty close but would think the R would walk away on a road course (under the hands of a competent enough driver). As I understand it though, you've got to be pretty good to get all the R has to offer.
  • adrian3adrian3 Member Posts: 1
    Is the Celica 2000 available in convertible??? I have been searching the net but nothing. Help anyone?? thanx
  • rascal8rascal8 Member Posts: 54
    Toyota has a Celica convertible concept car. It looks sweet. If you go to www.geocities.com/newcelica2000/main.html
    and choose 'Celica News' there are a couple good pictures of it. Don't know if or when it will be available.
  • cel2000cel2000 Member Posts: 1
    For any prospective purchasers, my real life experience. Mileage is 8000 - I bought in Nov and drive a lot. Overall fuel economy is 36 - Over 40 on the highway averaging 65-75 MPH. I should tell you I have a 5 speed. For those of you considering the auto I would have preferred it but found the engine torque curve not well suited for it. I also found, after testing each for a day the GT more pleasureable in eveyday driving than the GTS. Just too many revs. A small tradeoff in handling but it still handles superbly.
    My likes and dislikes listed below:
    Handling
    Braking
    Stereo- standard one
    Ergonomics and front seat room - and I'm 6'5"
    Hatch and room for luggage
    Paint quality
    Seats
    Headlight brightness and pattern
    Dislikes:
    Poor low end torque
    Possibly poor wearing seat coverings
    Speedometer reads 10 - 15 mph fast - anyone else with this??
    Buzziness at highway speeds
    In my opinion the best combination for this car is the GT with the 6 speed manual - sadly you can only get it in England.Nothing has gone wrong so far. I describe it as a Lotus that doesnt break.Any one want more info on my 8000mile history just ask. Good luck!!!
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Do you think that I have only 35 mpg due to automatic? With my full size Grand Marquis (auto) I am getting 26 mpg, can be compared to lighter and smaller Camry which with manual is specified to be 28, so it seems that auto/manual should not make so much difference.
    My speedometer is perfect, not more than .5 off.
    I have 2K on GT, and 50+K on Marquis. No problems with any of those so far.
  • null_ptrnull_ptr Member Posts: 1
    hiya folk, just got a new 00 celica GTS yesterday, and I love it!!! gawd, though, the breakin period
    is killing me!!! i wanna play!!!!!!
  • mrspeedmrspeed Member Posts: 21
    Of course the automatic will get lower mileage! I find that most companies overstate the mpg number for the automatics.
    You also mentioned hills on the road. This will also decrease gas mileage (you said it yourself that the transmission was hunting- bad for mileage).
  • navy4navy4 Member Posts: 44
    The milages tests done by or for the EPA are very controlled. If a normal person drove exactly like the person conducting and measuring the test, we too would get the same mileage. But companies do not overstate the mileage "estimate" that is part of the Muroney sticker on new cars. To do this would open the manufacturer up to legal ramifications.

Did you ever wonder how the new Camaro and Firebird got such good mileage as on the sticker? Very controlled driving, controlled to the point where the first to third lock-out was active.
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    According to Celica specs there is no difference in mpg for manual and automatic (both are 34).
    Also, these hills are in fact in Iowa, so it is hard to find better place for mpg. The hunting cruise control is simply bad Toyota design. I have driven several japaniese cars and they all had bad cruise (if compared to american).
    I am pretty satisfied with 34-35 mpg. If you look into specs they say "up to 40" to make better impression. Also 27 for city is actually for mixed driving, they somewhere say that depending on conditions it varies 22-29 or something, I am getting lower end so Toyota is safe.
    I had two Fords before and they both did as in specs or slightly better. Toyota's specs look better than reality. I think this is what makes them so economical.
    Just for comparison, for my two cars:
    Celica, 140 hp, 2500 lb, 1.8L --> 34 mpg
    GrandMarquise,200 hp, 4000 lb, 4.6L --> 26 mpg
    This is why I thought that Celica, being so light, could do better.
    I think the hunting cruise has more to do with a relatively low torque motor coupled to an automatic transmission. To maintain a set speed, occassionally the cruise has to engage enough throttle to force the transmission to downshift. Boom, instantly you've got more power and the speed builds, throttle is relaxed, tranny upshifts causing power to drop etc. etc. American cars (or any with larger displacement engines) would have easier time maintaining set speed without the tranny having to hunt around.
    BTW, my GTS with the 6-speed has a much smoother and more consistant cruise than my old 5.0 mustang; that car had an annoying tendency to have the speed creep up over long distances; I was constantly adjusting the cruise. Maybe this is another reason why a manual makes more sense for a small displacement engine.
    Mileage - 34 highway sounds about right. I read somewhere that the EPA "highway" number assumes a constant speed of between 45-50mph. City driving: depends on how much time is spent in gridlock. Constantly stopping/starting will kill the mileage; much more so in a small displacement engine. Why? Because small I4's make all their rated power and torque in the upper rpm range; in gridlock, the motor is operating at a much lower range, less efficient range and so has to work harder. A larger V8, even the 4.6, makes a larger % of its torque at low speeds, right where its needed in rushhour traffic. You must have a light touch with your Grand Marquis - 26 seems pretty good. About the best I ever got was 23 out of my Mustang (but then I just couldn't keep my foot out of the loud pedal...8^)
    Thanks for the gear ratios, this will help me out lot.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My friend and I share a 2000 GT automatic. I have a 1999 Protege DX automatic. The Celica seems to get better mileage than the Protege does (or at least the same). I know I average 29-33 mpg on the highway with the Protege (26/33 by EPA stds.) and almost the same with the Celica, which is actually rated higher than Protege for EPA (27/34). It's great to have the passing power of the Celica on the highway and not loose much economy compared to the flat Protege. Of course, the economy lowers when using that passing power, but I just cannot seem to keep this car below 80 on the highway. And no, no tickets yet. :)
  • tinkerbell4tinkerbell4 Member Posts: 1
    Can you guys tell me if dealers are willing to negotiate below msrp? One of the dealers out here is saying that these cars are selling so well that they won't deal below that. We are looking at the Celica GTS 6 speed. We are in the San Juaquin valley in California. Also, have you noticed any difficulty getting the Celica into reverse? Happy Motoring...........
  • static13static13 Member Posts: 1
    You mean a slight chirp when the car is idling? I get that and I was hoping it wasn't something that I've done.. do you get a intermittent vibration along with it sometimes?
  • toybiztoybiz Member Posts: 7
    Just test drove one the other day. GTS 6 speed, loaded, leather... I think it had just about everything you can get. No sticker dicker dealer price of $22,050 @ Rochester Toyota which sounds exceptional compared to some FL and CA buyers back a few responses. Acceleration was good especially after 6 grand a la VVTL-i. Got to like that red-line rush. Wish they had more torque, getting launched takes some R's. Found it to be very roomy(for small car) especially compared to the Mitsu-Eclipse. I would recommend it for the pocket rocket buyer especially w/ the Toyota quality.

I did however find the engine noise to be quite buzzy inside the cabin. I think they could dampen some of it out without drivers missing the racy feel. Also, I found shifting into sixth gear to be notchy at times. Could be I am just not used to shifting to a 6th gear. Head lights were extremely bright, probably the best I have ever driven behind. Loved the Aluminum racing pedals! Great touch Toyota! Sorry nothing to post on handling, no roads i knew that were curvy enough to risk rolling a brand new car off an embankment. Did get to 90-95mph real quick though. Wish I didn't need a truck as my primary vehicle cause this would definitely be a top 3 choice in my book. Happy red-lining all you Celica owners!
  • alex12601alex12601 Member Posts: 6
    I'm thining to purchasing new Celica or Eclipse. Yes I did test drove both cars but they are really nice cars. It's really hard me to choose between two. Can anyone help me out?
  • toylovertoylover Member Posts: 2
    Toyota's reputation and product quality is a lot better than Mitsubishi's. I don't know the cost difference but you will save money in the long run with a Toyota.
    The Mitsubishi Eclipse comes with a V6 engine in its top line, but it uses more gas than the GT-S and it slower (with manual) to boot!! Also, I know someone who had a 1996 Eclipse that DIED at 30K. If that does not make your decision, then I don't know what would. The Celica has better styling, too. Take it from a current (and VERY happy) Celica GT owner. Had the car since October, and still get stares and questions about it.
  • nautdreadznautdreadz Member Posts: 1
    ...exactly which Rochester...NY? I am looking at the GTS model and the best I can find the fully loaded model is 24G plus!
  • gpsgps Member Posts: 4
    Get the Celica, Alex. Just ordered my 5th. Mitsubishi Corp. is adrift, and the Toyota's reliability cannot be beat. Eclipse is an attractive, agile car. Just couldn't switch.Good luck! George
    Get the Celica, Alex. Just ordered my 5th. Mitsubishi Corp. is adrift, and the Toyota's reliability cannot be beat. Eclipse is an attractive, agile car. Just couldn't switch.Good luck! George
    Have u guys seen a body kit for new Celica? It is really expensive and I don't think they will make a clear tail lights for new Celica. I know that previouse eclipse had clear lights and lot more but previouse Celica, they didn't make anything except few body kits. I love to decorate and put things to look nice I meant I like to modify like lower and put nice body kits and clear lights. Any other company made a clear tail of side light for toyota before especially for Celica. I like to hear what u guys think......
    Check out a page called Jason's new Celica page. The link is below. Also, there is a link to another site called New Celica. Check both out. Jason's page is more of a body kit page. You can check Toyota's TRD racing site too. The links below are in order of mention in the text above.

http://www.geocities.com/newcelica2000

http://www.newcelica.org

http://www.trdusa.com

You should be able to find a lot of info on the sites. Jason's page also has pictures of a concept convertible and a 500 hp AWD Celica to come as well. HOT!!!
    Does the Sport shift for the GT-S take away too much performance from the engine? I know the automatic transmission will be slower; but how much slower? I have a six speed and now my girl friend wants a Celica too. But she doesn't want the manual, so if any one owns the Sport Shift I would love to hear your comments because we only took a short test drive and dealer wouldn't let me push the car too hard because it had less than 100 miles on it, so I wasn't able to compare the speed to six speed, but I must say that design of Toyota's shifter is much better than the Prelude's Sport Shifter because on that transmission you have to push forward on the shifter to shift up. I think should be opposite, pull back on the shifter to shift up instead of going against the pull of acceleration. Maybe Honda will get it right someday.
    I wish to hear from people who have owned one for some time. Also, if anybody would like to share some 0-60 and 1/4 mile times I'm listening. I heard, with a skilled driver and brake torquing it can reach 60 in 7.7 - 7.9 seconds.
    Hey spider. I have Celica GT-s and my friend own a sport shift you can't compare it. I drove with manual it took me 6.8 sec for 0 to 60 mph and Sport shift almost 9 sec. I'm telling you if ur g/f want to buy a car with automatic don't get GT-S. It is better to get GT. Because there's no big difference for sport shift. Sport shif sucks so much. Don't ever wanna get automatic for sports car.
    My friend and I have an automatic GT (no SportShift). It feels a little sleepy off the line (probably about 9 seconds to 60), but had kick-butt passing power. Besides, all the Celica attributes (save the heart-racing power) can be achieved with the GT model, at a nice savings. The only difference is the engine. Also, you should take your girlfriend to a dealer and let her drive the SportShift GT-S for herself. And, choose a dealer in a suburb or something so you can have a chance to open it up.

One more thing: There is no set break-in period that I know of for the Celicas. We drove ours like we do now (4247 miles) the day we bought it. And also, have no problems other than a broken cargo cover clip (my fault-- stuffed too much under the cargo cover on a weekend jaunt) :) Enjoy.
  • niteswmer2niteswmer2 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. I am in the market for a 2000 Celica GT -- 5 speed, Upgrade Package, Weather Package, and Carpet Mats as options. The sticker price was $18,414 and with initial discussions with the dealership, I am now at $16,700. Is that good price? Cardirect.com has it priced at 16367. I'm pretty certain I can get the dealership to match that. However, since I will have a trade-in and must only pay the difference, there is a signficant tax advantage if I accept the dealer's latest offer.

Additionally, the dealership is offering a balloon payment option and I was wondering if anyone knows the formula for calculating the monthly payments. Using a payment calculator, my estimates come well under the advertised pricing. My guess is that you pay some sort of premium for financing this way. Any advice on this type of payment would be very helpful.

Thanks again! I'll let you know when I become a happy Celica GT owner!

Doug
    A balloon payment means the following:

Say you buy a $20,000 car. You only finance a part of it, like $15,000 for instance. Then, at the end of the term (usually 5 years), you pay the rest, which in the example above would be $5000. Kind of like a reverse down payment if you think about it. Also, at the end you can trade the car and hope it is worth as much as you owe on it. The third way is to finance the remaining money ($5000 in my example) for longer, then after that the car will be yours. See what I mean now?? Any more questions, just post here and I will try to help you with them.
  • madarabmadarab Member Posts: 1
    I have a few questions... hope someone can offer some insight for me.
    Is this balloon payment on Leases or Purchases, and do most Toyota dealships offer them?
    Do Toyota dealerships try and get you to take an extended warrenty? Also, do vehicle mods void the extended warrenty / Factory warrenty?
    Has anyone out there upgraded there 2000 celica? With what? and what kind of performance increase?
    Can anyone give me the exact dimensions of the trunk in the GTS? I would like to know, so I can have a custom speaker box ready, also, does anyone happen to know if the stock stereo has any RCA out jacks, so I can add an amp in back for my subs.
    Would also like to know what anyone has paid for a GTS with Spoiler, moonroof & ABS? Has anyone done ratings on the side impact airbags? And would it be recommended to get aftermarket Rims and tires, or go with the 16" upgrades?
    I have finally made my deceison on the Celica 2000 after a day of looking around and driving different cars. Once I drove it, I knew I wanted it. Looking to purchase in a few months, want to have a nice downpayment. This is why I ask so many questions... I know what I want, and this is my first import car. I'm really tired of my Family style Ford Contour, I'm too young to be cruising the family wagon! =)
    Thanks for any help

Mark
    As far as the aftermarket wheels and tires, you can get the 16" rims for only $60 through the factory. That is the CHEAPEST upgrade I ever saw, so go for it. A GT-S the way you want is probably going to be around $22,000, not bad.

As far as extended warranty, any dealer will recommend it. I do not think it is worth the money. AS far as balloon payments, not sure how Toyota works it. I know they have them on leases, but not sure about traditional financing. Check with your local dealer or www.toyota.com.
  • niteswmer2niteswmer2 Member Posts: 20
    Just wanted to let you know that I figured out what that 'difference' is: While you are paying principle and interest against the 4670, you are still paying the interest against the balloon payment of $11,444. There ya have it and there ya are. Thanks again everyone! I just faxed another offer to the dealer and am waiting to hear back.

Doug
    Doug, where's your dealer? I've got mine to 17.7 for a similarly equipped GT in MN
    Thanks,
    George
  • synergysirsynergysir Member Posts: 1
    I'm a newbie car buyer and I am currently in the market for a good sports car, preferably with good mpg and proven reliability. I am considering the 2000 Honda Civic Si, Prelude Base/SH, Acura Integra GSR/Type R, Toyota Celica GT-S, Suburu Impreza (The turbo one that is rumored to be coming out, aka "Skyline Killer"), and perhaps the Hyundai Tiburon (hehe). I know that's a lot of cars; I'm actually partial to the Toyotas and Hondas. Anyone have any info on the new Integras? Should I wait on those? Perhaps maybe consider going over the $30,000 mark with an S2000 or the 3.2 CL w/ NAV? I am a japanese car enthusiast, so I'm not considering any euro or american cars. With that said and done, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
  • coot2coot2 Member Posts: 1
    I want to purchase a 2000 celica with a sunroof, but I can feel my hair brushing against the roof. This makes me feel cramped. I want this car, but gotta have a sunroof. I'm 6' 1". Any suggestions? Please, no cracks about getting a haircut it's already short.
  • prelude_5genprelude_5gen Member Posts: 9
    If you are that desperate to own this car, then I would suggest changing the seats out. Lower seats, more headroom. It's not all that hard, and seats aren't that expensive if you just HAVE to have this car.
  • mznmzn Member Posts: 727
    For advice and information about balloon payments and more, be sure to visit our Finance, Warranty, and Insurance conference.

carlady/host
    You know the Celica has a height adjuster on the driver's seat, right? There is a knob on the left side of the driver's seat. Turn it until the seat will not go down any more. That may help you with the head room. As far as getting seats that are lower than the standard ones, I don't think it is possible. There is no room under the seats now, and our Celica GT has the factory seats.
  • jebejebe Member Posts: 1
    Does the GT your looking at have a spoiler or alloys wheels?
    Which sport shift has faster acceleration the Celica's or Prelude's. I test drove a Prelude with sport shift, but that was 3 years ago I can't recall how quick it was.
    I would imagine the Prelude automatic is quicker than the Celica automatic simply because of the torque advantage of the 2.2l in the Honda vs the 1.8l in the Toyota. I haven't seen any test results to back this up though.

Call the 'sport shift' what it is: an automatic. Yeah, its got some gee whiz features but ITS STILL A SLUSHBOX! Why would you pay MORE for something that:
    a) gives you worse mileage (checked gas lately?)
    b) gives you worse performance (an automatic equipped Prelude vs. a stick shift Neon: hmmmmmm, could be close!)
    c) detracts from what these cars were designed for and that's quick, spirited driving at a reasonable cost.

If you don't know how to drive a stick-shift, s'okay. It's real easy to learn and you'll probably never want to go back. (sorry about the rant - I just don't like automatics)
    roadroach: Those are very true points, maybe Toyota should have just keep the automatic on the GT and left the GT-S as pure as can be, like Honda did with the Interga GS-R and Prelude Type-SH. Honda made the top models without automatics, because they knew most of the people who buy Integras GS-Rs or Civic SIs want speed, not gadgets. I think TRD should develop a supercharger for the Celica GT-S automatic as well as turbocharger for the six speed. If anyone agrees on my opinion about the supercharger, please tell me or go to www.trdusa.com and request for the development of one. I and many of my friends have already put in our request for a Header, Turbo, and Supercharger(for Automatics). So if you want to be heard, write to TRD or Rod Millen Motorsports

Does anyone know when the Rod Millen or TRD, intake and exhaust comes out?
This discussion has been closed.