Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Should trade @ $16000
    Trade in @ $18,000
  • kozman2kozman2 Member Posts: 11
    2006 Acura TSX
    4DR
    2.4L Auto
    FWD
    13000 miles
    Dark Blue
    Only optionis NAV which it does not have
    Everything is in prime condition except I do have a heavy scuff about 1 inch long on the bottom of the rear bumper, from a plastic pail I backedinto.
    Tires are in excellent condition
    All maintenance documented. I even send out an oil sample to have the oil analyzed at a laboratory each oil change. Pennzoil Platinum synthetic used.
    No damage or accidents of any kind.

Thanks for your help!!
    All maintenance documented. I even send out an oil sample to have the oil analyzed at a laboratory each oil change. Pennzoil Platinum synthetic used.

Well, THATS just a bit much. :)

Car is prob a $20,000 car on trade.
    Hey, it only costs me 20 bucks for each "oil report". I consider it a hobby of mine:) Thanks for the information/feedback.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do you have CCB? That thing's barely broken in!
    I know, I know. The wife just wants a convertable. Besides that, this has been the perfect car!!!
    A-ha, that makes sense. Can't exactly take a sawz-all to that TSX, a la Billy Idol and Bam with that Lambo. :D
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R (not Spec-V)
    4dr sedan
    2.5 liter 4 cyl auto
    48K miles
    but what makes this difficult is the engine was replaced 3K miles ago, not sure why, but it was done by the dealer. I'm waiting on the details.
    Silver exterior black interior
    Only major option is sunroof
    Overall in good condition, dealer just took it in on a trade and will ceritfy the vehicle so I can get Nissan's certified used warranty.
    Major scratches on the front bumper.
    Well, I'd be leery of a car having an engine replacement @ 48k

Unmolested, that car should bring $7-8000 on a trade.
  • eirekeirek Member Posts: 1
    I have 2 cars I'm wanting to trade in for zip code 75751(East Texas area).

2000 Ford Explorer, Limited V8 AWD, Heated Leather, Cd, Moonroof all the extras.
    143,000 miles, no problems mechanically but there is some paint on the top of the car peeling a little.

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Spyder, Cloth
    64,000 Miles, The engine doesn't run perfect(doesn't purr) but nothing is overtly wrong. Outside is also not very good, nothing major just doesn't really look "nice"

Any ideas you could give me on trade in values for a Ford Dealership(buying an edge) would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    Are you wanting to trade both cars in on one vehicle? Financially, that's generally considered a bad idea.

1. The Explorer - too many miles to trade in. If it's in good shape, you'd be better off trying to sell it privately.

2. The Eclipse - why doesn't it "purr?" Could be something simple like spark plug wires. I'd try to detail it and take it to CarMax for a free appraisal. I'm not sure a Ford dealership would be all that interested in taking it on trade, hence, the second opinion.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Well, I'd be leery of a car having an engine replacement @ 48k

LOL, yeah you should have heard how the salesman used that in a positive way when making the sales pitch. He said it's like having "almost" a brand new car. I told him I'd want to know why the original engine failed. If it was abused then that means the rest of the vehicle is a piece of sheeeet. If it was for lack of maintenance, then the rest of the vehicle also lacked maintenance. But if it was just for some kind of a manufacturer defect covered on warranty, then that would be something else.
    Explorer is gonna bring a couple grand at best.

The Mitsu is prob $5000 car if its not in great shape.

I'd at least put the Exploder on craigslist.
    Convertible season is about to pick up.

Change the spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil if you have to. Get a fuel injection service and change the fuel filter.

Smooth out the engine, polish it up, and put the top down in a very public place with a for sale sign.

They say "sell the sizzle, not the steak". On a nice, sunny day, a convertible will go quickly.
  • whoweare2whoweare2 Member Posts: 8
    Boston
    76,000 miles
    Rear AC
    Roof rack
    Aftermarket iPod connection
    New tires last summer
    Clean cloth interior

Thanks!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Year/Make/Model: 2005 Honda Accord LX
    Body Style: 4-dr
    Engine: 4cyl, Auto
    Mileage: 32,000
    Color: Dark Red
    Condition:
    Very good, minimal wear/tear, no major blems. Good tires, all maintenance up-to-date.
    Miles are a bit high.
    Prob a $5-6,000 truck.
    Sounds like a $12-13,000 car.
  • 4wheels14wheels1 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for all your advice. You gave us the confidence that we were not being unreasonable and it made the difference. We couldn't do a private sale, as Mom lives by herself and I am 1000 miles away. So, me going to get the car and taking it home to sell it would probably cost as much as the extra income over trading it in. So the goal was to get at least Edmunds trade in on it. Went to a Buick dealer, looked at a LaCrosse, Mom didn't like it but his trade offer was close to Edmunds. Then I got another Honda dealer to agree to Edmunds trade-in with the Honda at $400 under invoice. We're both happy.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,517
    looking for a realistic private purchase price on this.

per the ad:

Car is in good working condition.

I have replaced recently rear brakes, Power steering belt, tires.

Specification:

Make- Toyota
    Model- Corolla DX
    Year - 1997
    White color
    Mileage – 130 K
    Automatic transmission

VIN No 2T1BB02E5VC205144

Other specification:
    Power Steering, Power Windows , Power door locks , Cruise Control , AM/FM radio and Cassette player, Dual Front Air Bags.

Price 3100 $

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Miles are a bit high.
    Prob a $5-6,000 truck

Probably closer to 7k. This would be a good one to sell privately.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Probably closer to 7k. This would be a good one to sell privately.

$7k is a real stretch on a trade.
    $7k is a real stretch on a trade

Looking back at comparable priced vehicle I bought 4 years ago... $7k probably is a bit of a stretch. More likely high 5's... low 6's.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • kaymarkaymar Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am in the Los Angeles area but am moving to New England in a few weeks and want to sell my car out here before I leave town - so I would be "trading"/selling without simultaneously buying anything (I will buy something when I get to Boston). I would appreciate any insights as to price and whether it would be preferable to try to sell it to an Audi dealer or go to CarMax or something similar. Private party isn't an option b/c there is still a note on the car and I'm also frantically packing. Thanks!!!

Los Angeles
    2005 Audi A4 Cabriolet
    2 dr convertible
    1.8T engine, auto
    FWD
    23,500 miles (I just had the 25,000 mile service done in advance so it's all caught up for maintenance)
    Silver
    Leather seating, power seats, other than that I think it's standard equipment.
    New brake pads; original tires.
    Interior almost spotless (except maybe floor mats), exterior has no dents or scratches I can see. I scraped the rear bumper a few months ago and had it repaired and the entire bumper repainted - looks good to me but I'm not a car appraiser.

Thanks much!
    K
  • indigo23indigo23 Member Posts: 2
    Indianapolis
    hello -- i'm wondering if the trade in values we were offered today were too low. we walked away after several hours of negotiating -- but maybe we shouldn't have?

we were trying to trade in two cars and exchange them for one, with the thought that we would walk away with a couple thousand $ (crazy, right?) --

1. vw toureg 2005, V8, 33K miles. Electronic Suspension Control, front and rear parking sensors, leather heated front and rear seats, heated stearing wheel, power passenger seat. self leveling suspension, xenon headlights. locking differential, rear ski bag, tire pressure monitoring, 4 new snow tires (in addition to the regular tires), good condition -- one family owned. just detailed, well taken care of, no dents/scratches.

2. 2000 Volvo V70 R Turbo AWD, 51,000 miles, leather and suede heated seats, 3 cd , sunroof, brand new tires, new brakes, surround sound, good condition -- couple of small dings, one family owned, all records.

any insights as to trade-in values would be great. do dealers *ever* write checks back to customers for trade-ins? were we crazy to try to complicate the deal with 2 cars?
    You did the right thing. When in doubt... walk. You can always return. If close in numbers the dealership will probably call you back.

What did the dealership offer you for your 2 vehicles? What car were you wanting to buy from the dealership? What is this cars TMV minus incentives?
  • indigo23indigo23 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply! they offered 23 for the vw -- edmunds tmv value was 27. and 7 for the volvo which is right on target for tmv -- but we were offered 8.5 for the volvo from another dealer. they were offering a straight trade for an audi a3 with a tmv of 30.5.

is it reasonable to assume that no matter where we go they are going to offer only a straight trade?
    thanks for any help!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Vehicles are worth what their worth - if your trade is worth more than what you're buying, sure, money will be coming back.

The problem here is the VW. The SUV market's in the tank so forget any price guide numbers. Shop it for a straight sale to a Carmax and a VW store - those will probably be the best numbers you'll get. Compare them to what's being offered on trade.

The Volvo is another matter altogether - this is definitely something to sell privately due to its low mileage.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Just my $.02....
    I had a 2006 Cayenne, pretty loaded. I was shopping it around for a 3 series, and even this board suggested a trade price of around $34,000-$35,000, at the time. I was getting crazy low numbers from BMW dealers, (+/- $28,000). We were in NO hurry and, in fact looked for around 3 months.
    The local Porsche dealer also sells Infiniti, so we decided to look at the G35X instead of the 3 series.
    I was shocked when the dealer offfered us $40,000. for the Porsche. It is a numbers game and we paid close to sticker for the Infiniti, but ended up getting a more loaded car than we planned, and even got $ back.
    Keep looking. You may just have to wait for a deal that you like.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    2000 Volvo V70 R Turbo AWD, 51,000 miles

A 2000 Volvo R Turbo AWD with 51K miles, for $7K? Heck, I'd buy it, & I don't even need a car. Sometimes super-low-mileage euro-wagons need to be sold privately. I guarantee, you'll have people going bonkers over this one if you put it on craigs list, local ads, etc. Pricing I don't know, but a lot more than $7K.

It'd be a shame to dump that one to a dealer @ wholesale. And PS; why sell it?

The vw toureg: I'd sell or trade before the warranty runs out.......
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    hey, thanks for the help on the GF's S80. She's absolutely loving the car.

I've got another one for you...this could potentially turn into a "lancer's runabout," so I can...well, um, not drive the Saab as much, I guess.

Anyway, 1994 Volvo 850 sedan, turbo. auto (of course) leather, trip computer, all the goodies one could expect on a '94. VERY well kept in and out.

Here's the kicker.

TMU. I test drove it, and the odometer didn't move an inch. The dealer (local Honda joint) claimed they didn't know, the trader-in signed the odo statement saying actual miles, blah blah blah...what I wanna know is, what's a fair "I'll take the gamble" price on a TMU 850 turbo with no service records? (Keep in mind I wrenched on my 740 and S70 pretty proficiently back in the day, so maintenance/repair don't scare me.)
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Except you don't like to keep the car, I would call a trucking company specializing to haul auto from coast to coast.

They offer 3 options on moving your car to Boston from LA
    1) have a person drive your car to Boston
    2) have an "open" trailer (subject to debris) moving your car to Boston
    3) have an "enclosed" trailer (better pretection) moving your car to Boston
    They can ship to Boston and tell you where to pick it up or deliver to your door.
    You can find them in yellow pages.
  • erikpsmitherikpsmith Member Posts: 9
    Based on what I've seen at the import dealership where I work, the dealer's offer of $7,000 for the Volvo could be on target for actual cash value, but I could imagine that a dealer might show you more (by taking profit out of the vehicle he is selling). On the other hand I think you could advertise it for sale yourself around $11,995, and be prepared to take $9,500 to $10,000. I can't offer an opinion on the VW, having never seen this model for sale as a used vehicle before.

Erik Smith
    Spokane WA
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    indigo - when I worked at a dealership, we had a guy trade in a BMW X5 with the 4.4L engine (i think that was the biggest one? either way, this thing was fully loaded to the gills) and bought a used honda (or something cheaper, can't remember) and took home a check for $30k with the car.

So to answer your question, yes, a dealer will cut you a check if your trade ins are higher than the car you are purchasing.

-thene :-)
  • needcheapgasneedcheapgas Member Posts: 1
    Y/M/M-2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
    Engine: 6cyl.
    Mileage: 82000
    Color: Dark green
    Options: all power, DVD, rear heat and air, captains chairs, etc.
    Interior: Some minor carpet stains, no real damage
    Exterior: Couple of scrapes on rear gate (from garage door)

Ok, Edmunds, Vehix, My credit union, and all online apraisals say my trade is worth around 9k. Edmunds cheapest was 7700, but all the others were 9800. I am realistic, 7k would be fine, but the dealers I have talked to only want to give me 4000-4500. Who is right? I am not expecting more than it is worth, but I don't want to lose money anyway. And there is always my fear that the dealers are messing with me b/c I am a woman alone in a dealership. (May sound paraniod, but it has happened to me before)
    SO, in todays market, what is a fair trade value on my van?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    With it being 15 years old and TMU, it's really worth very little... so you could pay what you feel is fair, cash-in-fist, seat-of-your-pants type money, say $2 - $2.500 if it drives really nice as it sits and has no damage.

They *should* be happy to kick the thing loose for very little money, but they probably won't. #1 they put too much into it since they missed the TMU part.

Number 2 -- and this is what usually queers these deals -- there is bound to be someone less savvy than you out there who will fall in love with the car and pay what it would be worth with a working odo. At any rate, that guy is your competition, even if he's only a figment of the sales manager's imagination.

Basically, you gotta hope that the SM's ego is telling him to get rid of the stupid thing more than it's telling him to minimize his losses. But I'm not optimistic.

Cheers,
    -Mathias
    Agree w/ Steine.
    I wouldn't pay any more than a couple grand for a TMU 850.
    Wholesale, the car is prob worth $20-21,000
    VW seems right on the money.
    I'd sell the R privately.
    Should bring $10,000 at least. If its nice
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Exactly my thoughts...I was thinking $2300 max. The dealer wouldn't come down lower than $3k so I walked. Guess they were upset about not noticing the odometer. Eh well. Thanks.
  • butchbr73butchbr73 Member Posts: 325
    Good evening... can i please get a trade-in value for an '05 Nissan Maxima. silver w/ grey interior 65,000 miles, 3.5L 4door loaded w/ leather, moonroof, nav, heated seats, bose, etc... all options.
    car is in decent condition, say average to better than average for 65,000 mile car. Tires have about 50% tread left. brakes could be replaced soon.
    no other damage or repairs to vehicle.
    vehicle is located in Knoxville, Tn.
    thank you in advance!
    Lotta miles for an 05.
    Car is prob in the $12-13,000 range.
  • daileyaddaileyad Member Posts: 20
    2003 Dodge Durango R/T V-8 4WD
    Mileage: 56,000
    Color: Black exterior/Gray Leather Interior
    Major Options: Loaded - heated front seats, oversized tires, power everything, cruise, A/C, aftermarket towing and dvd system
    Some scratches on exterior. Interior still in great shape.
    Tires purchased new 1 1/2 years ago
    Brakes done 1 1/2 years ago
  • francisjfrancisj Member Posts: 4
    Thank you in advance. Your help is vey much appreciated.
    Location Seattle WA
    Year/Make/Model:2000 Toyota 4 Runner Limited Edition
    Body Style: 4 door
    Engine: 6 cylinder automatic
    Driveline: 4 wheel drive
    Mileage:61M
    Color: White with tan interior
    Major Options: sun roof,tinted windows,power windows and seats,air conditioning,cd ,tape and radio,lighted visor mirrors.
    Condition: Good
    Details of interior and exterior, Good no tears,scratches or dings
    Tires - .new
    Brakes Good
    Maintenance Oil change and tune ups when dealers indicates. We have a service plan thru the dealer.
    Other: . Bumper hit and repaired (rear ended)
    Not much out there to base it on, but it sounds like an $8000 truck.
    Low mile truck.
    If the Carfax is clean, prob @ $10,000 on a trade.
  • francisjfrancisj Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. You know I have lurked for quite a while and have always been impressed by how much you are willing to help people out.
  • bg2000bg2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi There:
    We live in Phoenix and are 37 months into a 48 mo. lease on n 05 Honda Odyssey Touring, loaded, 44k miles on a 1250/mo allotment, loaded, good, not excellent condition. Payoff is 21k, plus tax. I am trying to figure the real world value to see if its time to exit. I want to buy our next family car, so that I can at least show an asset on my financial statement!! Thanks very much.
    Your welcome!