Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• sunshine7sunshine7 Member Posts: 1
    Do you really know this to be true? I know so little about the new M3, but if that is the case...I don't know what else to say?!?!?
  • towerttowert Member Posts: 3
    I have owned a 1999 Jaguar XJR for a year now and am sorry that I leased. I have discovered some issues about it that the biased press don't share. Read about it at my homepage www.MyConsumerExperience.com. I can't wait for my lease to expire so that I can get into the new M5! Actually, I keep running into the Mercedes S500 when I travel (which I think is much better looking than the E55). Haven't seen any in my hometown of Vancouver yet so I'm not sure if they are sold here. I still need to check up on the performance specs.
  • one2000m5one2000m5 Member Posts: 5
    Words from a BMW engineer. That is where I received the info on the performance of the 2001 M3. The M3 is the "touring car". Smaller, lighter, and better HP-to-weight ratio. Just depends on what gearing the car winds up with. Normally BMW balances the 0 - 60MPH with incredible 50 to 100 MPH acceleration. Also, I do not know if they will actually do it, however it is rumored that BMW is considering putting the 400HP engine in a select few of the M3's. That sounds like a good story I know, however the engineer and European press has verified the possibility. The car will be for Europe only. As you may know, their version of the existing M3 already has 320HP. When the new model arrives, the proposed 320 to 340HP that the US car is supposed to receive will not excite many folks in Europe. Of course the European M3 is more expensive than our current 'sedate' 240HP model, but we always seem to get the crumbs from the European table. By the way, the production European M5 was dyno tested at the North American test facility at approximately 440HP. Sadly I am told that the US version is not the same.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Wow..

I just ended a 2-year lease on a Titanium/Nimbus XJR (Special order color combo) And had 39,000 PERFECT Miles out of it. If it hadnt been in a bad accident and repaired I would have bought it. Absolutely amazing vehicle.. amazing power.. Smooth.. Quiet.. comfortable.. wow.

I have a 2000 on order and this time Im buying it and keeping it, besides.. by the time it comes in my divorce will be finalized! =D

If i have gotten 102K almost perfect miles out of a 95 Vanden Plas.. and 39K perfect ones out of the XJR.. tells ya something.

Yeah the R did have Axle tramp, but only under full-throttle acceleration in the rain. And you had to TRY to get it to do it. You might as well complain that the car skids in the snow when you take corners at above the posted speed.

Bill
  • bzieglerbziegler Member Posts: 2
    Have you ever thought of waiting for the CLK 55. It's not a 4 door sedan but it looks better. I have a CLK 430 and it has been a great car. The E55 just looks like a regular sedan. The CLK series definitley has a more unique look to them and you still get all the horsepower, handling and luxury. The back seat has a reasonable amount of room and if your not planning carrying alot of people all the time you might look into it.
  • bzieglerbziegler Member Posts: 2
    Have you ever thought of waiting for the CLK 55. It's not a 4 door sedan but it looks better. I have a CLK 430 and it has been a great car. The E55 just looks like a regular sedan. The CLK series definitley has a more unique look to them and you still get all the horsepower, handling and luxury. The back seat has a reasonable amount of room and if your not planning carrying alot of people all the time you might look into it.
    Bill, my R exbited axle tramp under moderate acceleration. The only time I have to "try" is when I have a full load. When I'm by myself, especially with traction control off, it constantly produces vicious axle tramp (unless you nail it off the line in which case one wheel spins free and you go nowhere). I reproduced it with the dealer's mechanics in another customers car to find out if it was just mine, and they were amazed at how violent and easily reproducable it was. Perhaps yours was the 6? If so, yes, the axle tramp wouldn't have been an issue.
    Thanks for the tip, bziegler, but I need a four door otherwise my wife won't go for it :(
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well C&D just did a comparo, M5, E55, and XJR. Naturally the M5 won, with the Benz being called the best "automatic transmissioned" high performance sedan you can buy.

M
  • formulaoneformulaone Member Posts: 2
    Will Audi ever import the fantastic S8 to the U.S.?
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    For the whole weekend. I drove it some 300 Miles. I had to do a few things for him, and he lent me the car. I love this car. It was a 99, and was silver, with black interior. And everything was in KLM's. It was direct form Eruope. This car is soooooo fast, and handles great. I relly want one, only in my dreams though :( The car handeled bumps very well, as wasn't bad on gas. It fit 5 people in the car with no problem, and the trunk swallowed alot of luggage. Only a few gripes. There was no cassett/cd player. It was just the radio. Also the cruise controll was arkwark to use. This car aslo had the 5 speed tiptronic. It was a little of a pain to find drive. I thougt I was in drive a few times, and was in first only. I had to get a feel for wher the shifter was for D. But this is a nice car. I very happy I was treated to this experience. :)
  • happy540ihappy540i Member Posts: 3
    not related but... enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/jimmy540i/
    Not realeted ...but enjoy!

Not realeted ...but enjoy!

• bad_roobad_roo Member Posts: 3
    It was a beaut, I'm tellin' ya...
  • bad_roobad_roo Member Posts: 3
  • virginiadonvirginiadon Member Posts: 6
    I sold the Porsche,,, tried to get a M5 or E55 but impossible,,,so I ordered american and am happy, my first Am car in 15 yrs... Camaro SS Convertible,, SLP performance pkgs,, abt 360 hp.. It should be fun messing with the German cars on the roadways,,, I get the car in May,,, The German's need to get their act together and get more cars available for the US Public!!! I really wanted one but couldn't wait 6 to 8 months,, summer is almost here. Anyway, keep up the postings on your cars,, maybe I can reiterate my experiences of riding with the big guys this summer.... ps,, I saved $50K,,, invested the diff in GE,,hope it splits (3 for 1) soon and goes back up to $120. "ain't life grand!!!"
  • yearightyearight Member Posts: 9
    Hey,
    If anyone is interested, I was just over at Smythe European in San Jose, CA and they had 3 used E55's. Two with 20K mi, one I think had 9 or 10k. All way over list, cheapest (HA!) was $81K.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    The Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    '94-'96 Chevrolet Impala SS

BMW's/MB's are way overpriced.
  • yearightyearight Member Posts: 9
    A while back, I went into my local Pontiac dealer to inquire about about the GTP. He didn't know a gol-durn thing about it. "uhhh...try the web sight.." Yea, right. I just got a C43.
    America has no true "supersedans", at least nothing in this category. BMWs and Mercedes are not overpriced. Nothing with 4-doors can touch the M5, E55 or Jaguar XJR. You get what you pay for.

M
    I have to say that America has sedans that go "quick" and some go "fast", but agreed, when compared to the European competition, none of ours are "super". (And they aren't $70K either.) The GTP, and the Impala are examples of what we can do with horsepower, but they do not compare to the precision handling, safety features, interior amenities, and long term build quality. Some are very fun to drive. But the shortfalls show up if you jump out of my M5 and into the Impala or GTP. (I can speak from experience.) Those who like the American "super" cars should keep buying them. For the price, they can be alot of fun, but they cannot be compared to the Mercedes or the BMW, or even the Jaguar. Those who would like to (compare)probably have not driven one of the three European models.
  • xorbtantxorbtant Member Posts: 37
    M5! Wow! Is this a four door car? Was that blur a vette? Let me check my rear view mirror. I guess driving is knowing.
    Are you going to trade up to an M5? I agree, America does have some nice sedans, but I wouldn't call them super. The Grand Prix GTP is good, the old Impala and first generation Taurus SHO were good too, but next to the Euro giga-buck cars they just don't and can't be made to measure up. They aren't supposed to either, price says so.

M
  • stehersteher Member Posts: 37
    Over here in Germany we also have the Audi S8.
    It has a 40-valve V8 with 360 hp and is a true competitor to M5 and E55 when you consider pure power. But it has a few bonus features: 1. the AWD and 2. it has more interiour space.
    They are great cars, I didn't mean to
    state otherwise, but man they sure command a premium! Just to get a friendly (albeit pointless) rivalry going, I'd like to point out the top 5 reasons the Import Super Sedans can't compete with my '96 Impala SS:

5. Roominess (it's as big as a whale but still
    moves like a baracuda)

4. lower depreciation (The market value is about
    the same for a decently
    kept Impala with 40,000
    miles as it was when new.
    Admittedly, I doubt that
    matters to someone who can
    drop 60-70 grand on a car)

3. No snob appeal (No doctors, lawyers,
    celebrities nor their spoiled
    kids would want to be caught
    dead in this SS Minnow of a
    car.)

2. Sound (Nothing beats the sound of an American
    V8 muscle car.)

1. Cars in front of you move out of your way
    because they think you're a cop.
    I think I like that "cop" reason the best. On just sheer size and room, you're correct again. Only the BMW 740i Sport combines roominess and sportiness in a Euro car, the other big ones are not as sporty. However serious sport sedans don't trade on room, nor do people buying them. Sound of the engine, that is an opinion. To me there is nothing like the sound of an AMG tuned V8 or an Italian V8 or V12 running flat-out. Depreciation, that is a good thing for the Impala, because it's mate the Caprice is just oh-so terribly cheap right now, with the Impala being just a tad better. It still will never hold it's value like an M5 or E55, they are going for above sticker now, no Impala ever did.

Impala SS, good performance car..just not in this league.

M
    I got rid of my 540i and got my M5 March 1. Although I have not put many miles on it, I can tell you that with the combination of torque and horsepower, you can get the American muscle car feel, combined with the European integrity and engineering for a car that will stay side by side with a C5 Corvette all the way to 150MPH. (Previous response at #130 - didn't understand what he meant!?) The Audi S8 is also a fantastic car but unfortunately I don't think we will see it here in the US. Saw one in Florence,Italy a few weeks ago...an awesome car indeed.

The E55s, 1 year old are selling for list with up to 15K miles on them. Lots of demand, not many cars. I do not know if the M5 will retain value the same way...hopefully so.

On looks, the best thing about the E55/M5 is that 99% of the people on the road think you are driving a normal E430/528 sport model. An embarrassed Mustang made this mistake a few weeks ago. He was very surprised as I waited for him at the next red light. You couldn't do this with a more obvious sports car.
    Just have a look at www.wwheels.com and you'll E55s going for 10-15K above sticker with a good amount of miles on them. Where in the world would anyone pay 27-29K for an used Impala? I can't see that, it wasn't worth that much new to me. Performance was good, but the rest of the car clearly wasn't built up to 30K standards. However that is true very few cars retain 80% of their value over 4 years, but that should read very few "American" cars retain 80% of their value after 5 years. Euro cars like the old E500/500E and the new E55 will and others like the BMW Z8 and Mercedes CL will retain their value. With Euro cars it is far more regular for them to retain value like that.
    I agree totally. I don't think anyone will top BMW and Mercedes-Benz at what they do best.

M
  • scouser1scouser1 Member Posts: 2
    Love the car - Black with Nav and Sports plus
    sound. 2K miles - 120mph reached and cruising.

Everyone else loves the car - turns heads everywhere. People come up to me and complement the car as to its beauty. In a line up with BMW,
    MERCEDES, BMW and LEXUS the JAG gets the
    complements. Looks is not everything but it goes a
    long way in the luxury class.
    Wrong link before, try www.wwwheels.com.

M
    Class wise a Jag may be the classiest, but it isnt the best car.

M
    Thanks for the link. Interesting how the euros keep their value. About the only place you can get an Impala now for a decent deal is on the Impala car club sites (NAISSO for National Association of Impala SS Owners, the main page is at www.impalaclub.com). They're fairly rare...only 69,678 cars over the 3-year production, and if you want a non-black one (like me), they're even more rare. If you find one at a dealer, unless it's beat to hell and has a lot of miles you'll get gouged. I looked for 6 months at dealers and ads before I found one on one of the NAISSO sites for a good deal ($21,200 for a '96 in Green/Gray with 20K miles) and I had to go six states away. On the NAISSO sites is where I'm seeing $27K-$29K. I've seen even higher but many of those were with aftermarket stuff (superchargers, turbos, etc).
    Aftermarket support is fantastic for these cars, so if you happen to come upon one at a stoplight and it out accelerates your M5, don't feel bad, chances are it has 500-600 hp with aftermarket stuff (and that's about what it would take to beat the M5).

Do you happen to know what the M5's curb weight is? The Impala SS's official curb weight is
    4018 lbs. I don't know if that includes gas or not...probably not.
    M5 curb weight is just over 4000 LBS. The E55 is about 200 less. Hate to change the subject, but the new M3 coming later this year will be the car to beat from what I have read and seen. Curb weight will be low 3000s with 340 HP. They will probably gear it slightly different so its 0 - 60 time is just behind the M5, but it will fly I am sure for about $20K less. Anyway, it will be a great car I'm sure.
    It will take a lot of "aftermarket" to out-accelerate an M5. The M5 as noted above isn't a light weight, but with 400hp it really doesn't have to be. Nice talking to you about the Impala, I guess I have a little more respect for this car now. I always kinda liked it anyway, I just couldn't get with the interior.

M
    Wow! The M5 is a 2-tonner too?! I had no idea.
    Well, anyway with 400 hp, I'm sure it doesn't feel like it. My Impala has 305 hp, 360 lb-ft torque (because of aftermarket headers, exhaust, throttle body, intake, ram-air, and performance-tuned PCM) and it feels like a light weight. I can imagine
    400 hp with BMW suspension must feel light as a feather.
    You're right, the interior is one of the Impala SS's well known shortcomings. It only came in Gray for one thing (no matter which exterior color you got) and it isn't very luxurious. The leather is about the cheapest looking leather you can get. However, for the power I got and the price I paid, I'm not complaining. She's still my baby.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, I have a series of questions. What is the EPA ratings for fuel mileage for the M5 and the E55? The Impala SS has ratings of 18/26, but the best I've seen is 22.3 on the highway (I'm sure all the aftermarket add-ons are at least partially responsible for that).

Are there any good sites to see a picture of an E55? Edmunds has a picture of the M5, but not the
    E55.

One more question. My wife's friend just bought a 1990 BMW M3. Does anyone happen to know what kind of power the car had back then? I asked her (the friend) but she didn't know either.

Thanks.
    -Tim
  • emkayusaemkayusa Member Posts: 7
    1990 BMW M3 has a 2.3 liter 4cyl, with 192hp, 170ft/lbs of torque, and a curb weight of about 2900 pounds.

Not a speed demon by current M3 standards, but still very quick. I'm jealous, I would love to find one of those.
    Thanks for the info. She'll be glad to be able to tell people now. You don't happen to know the rpms for the hp and torque peaks do you? Sorry I know that's asking a lot, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    It is a nice car, but too small for me. I'm 6'5" which can be a real pain some times.
    Hey you can get Impala's cheap in FL. This guy at church could only get 13,5k for his 96 Impala with 55k on it. I guess the Impala price depends on where you are.
  • jesseliujesseliu Member Posts: 41
    You can get current E55 pics from Mercedes web site. If you want a 99 pic, I'll have to find one. I have pictures of my car but don't have a scanner. btw the E55 is 400lbs ligther than the M5. Big difference between the two is Torque.
  • cuadancuadan Member Posts: 13
    My Humble Opinion :
    M5 rocks...
    Now..take into consideration that I am a poor teenager who only dreams of saving 70k for the M5. Actually, I'm going to be a missionary doctor so I don't expect to buy something like that, but I am an official car freak and Ive been following the latest M5 since the rumors about it started. The E39 M5 is a monster. I think some of the things that appeal most to my sense of car appreciation is the fact that you get the practical and cushy side of the deal as well as the "smoke as much rubber as you want" part of it. It's a "sleeper". That means that punks in Z28's, SS's, Firebirds, and other other kind of Japanese import thats got all kinds of mods on it come to a light, see a sedan and want to race. Little did they know....

BMW is a company of excellent, relentless engineers who really do a job with their cars. My dad owns a 99' 528i and I've driven it many, many times, taking it to the limit in empty parking lots, nice curves in the road, and straight out at lights. However, I was dissapointed when a souped up Z28 with some G daddy drug dealer in it out pulled me around 1 in the morning... Which is to be expected since the bimmer is only a 6; however, all that came to my mind while he was pulling away was : "He'd be cryin' if I had an M5" : )
    Congrats to all you M5 owners. It's a wonderful machine.
    You're right that the value depends on where you are. California, Texas, and Utah appear to be the states that value the Impala the most. But 13.5K for your friend's car still sounds way low. I wish I'd known about it. The only thing I can think is that either 1) it was wrecked or otherwise beat, 2) It was a Caprice made to look
    like an Impala (cloning is very common), or 3) The guy didn't try very hard and sold his car short.
    If it was really an unwrecked Impala in decent shape with only 55K miles, he could have easily gotten 18-19K on the NAISSO site. Heck, the Edmund's trade-in price is 16.1K.
    Thanks, I'll take a look. You're right 400 lbs is a significant difference.
    BMW and Mercedes have kind of shifted roles in some areas. In the not so distant past (old days) the Benz would have been the heavier car, but then again maybe not...the E was always the lean Mercedes of the family.

M
  • jesseliujesseliu Member Posts: 41
    I totally agree. I think that Mercedes and BMW most definitely have started switching roles in some ways. Before Mercedes wouldn't use all the most fanciest gadgets and would wait til they were proven. Nowadays they are throwing everything in there.
    Also Mercedes are getting more sporty. I'm sure that eventually Mercedes will start offering a manual in some of their sporty models.
    Yeah they sure will. The new C240 V6 is going to have a 6sp manual standard. I would have never thought this a few years ago.

M
    Well he is not really a friend but an old guy at church I know. He is like 68 years old and was driving a (real impala). He didn't care about his car much and he just wanted a 300M, which I hate! But yeah he got 13.5k for his trade in and he was happy with it. I see impala's all over the road in FL and I don't see the big deal with it. Oh not to leave out that 90% of the Impala drives seem to have 100 spoke gold rims and systems. In other words, a lot of thugs or drug dealers drive it. I even asked a dealer why he chose his car and he said a lot of room for his banging and a quick get away car.
  • chronic2001chronic2001 Member Posts: 1
    guys...why are u placing the A8 in those mid-size sedan category? the car is huge...if you look at the statistics, its bigger than the 7 series.
    the classafications go like this...3 Series (BMW), A4(Audi), C-class(MB), Lexus ES300. than comes 5 series, E-class, A6 , Lexus GS. And than At last come the big boys...A8, 7 series, LS400 , S-class.

P.S.
    1)does anyone know when the S6 is going to come out in america...i read that its a 360 horsepower V8. looks like it more powerful and lighter than E55
    2) I heard that the 2001 is gonna have M5's engine
    (400 hp V8 with ALOT of tourge) can someone image...if a midsize cars with that engine goes from 0-60 in 4.8 sec...than how fast will that small sedan will go? (porshe C4 has a 360 horsepower engine and it does 0-60 in like 4.5 sec.)
  • kappamankappaman Member Posts: 47
    Even though I am more so a Jaguar guy, out of these super sedans I would probably pick the E55. The Jaguar XJR is nicer looking, the BMW M5 is faster and handles better, but the E55 will be more of a collectors items. It also looks good, handles well, is fast and probably will keep its value longer. It is a car you keep.