Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Man we've been at this for a long time, I'd forgotten that we've had the "life decisions" conversation before. Imagine me reading that after all these years!

I'm sure a high percentage of LS430 buyers can swing a S430, especially if they're leasing them. No doubt.

I've always wanted to ask what town do you live in, it sounds like quite a place the place. Probably like what Naperville IL is here.

The Acura Legend is the reason why I've always had a strong desire to own and Acura, but they just can't seem to get the styling right.

edspider1,

It really does depend on your circle or group, because to some a Lexus is just that a poor mans Mercedes, and to some it's a better car that doesn't get its just do. Since Lexus does make a great car all they'd have to do to erase that stigma is create their own styling and not follow Mercedes' every move. They probably will do the former, but the latter is just good business.

sv7887,

Ahh...Jag u wa. Yes, imo the new XJ is a full fledged member of this class. It's light and lean and is easily a styling home run. The only thing I noticed at Detriot is that it still does have anywhere near the room of say a LS430 or 745Li, so far that hasn't slowed its sales down. I'm not sure about their reliability you'll have to ask one of the survey people about that one. They only Jaguar I truly don't like is the X-Type. The XK is a modern classic. Its about the only other luxury car besides a Mercedes SL that can wear the same styling since 1997 and still look so good. Jaguar's dual-edged sword is their styling you either like it or you don't. It's either just right or way too much for some, and in the case of the old XJ it made the car very uncompetitive because it simply was too small (low roof etc) for many.

M
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Colts Neck NJ. It's horse country and Bruce Springsteen lives about a mile away. Beautiful area that is very surburban - more like an upstate NY town but it's only 40 miles from NYC. There are no city like street lights around and no fire hydrants (which causes insurance to run high). You can't build a new home here anymore unless it's at least 4300 feet or so (most are 6-10,000 these days) and it's 10 acre zoning. So the seclusion makes it a town for celebrities and athletes like. Tom Brokaw wanted to move here but the town rejected a helicopter landing pad he wanted in his back yard (he wanted to be able to get out quickly if a news story broke). MB's and Lexus cars and SUV's everywhere with a lot of TLC's, LX470's and now the GX470. Decent number of Jags but not many Range Rovers or BMW's save for the X5. Rarely do you see an Audi and I've yet to see an A8 in the 10 years I'm here.

Big SUV's are in around here for local needs and because we've had a lot of snow in the past 6-8 years. We seem to be a southern snowbelt area of NYC whenever the storms take a mid-atlantic route. The blizzard in 96 put down more than 3 feet here and in last years President's day storm we had about 30".
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Colts Neck NJ - One of the areas where there are more S500s than Civics. :) The average home price is $1M.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I'm getting my LS430 next week. While I cannot afford a S600, I can afford a S430. However, after looking at them both, I had to go with the LS430 because I get more car for the money (Ultra Lux Pkg) and I will have a reliable car to boot.

Here is my own prejudice against MB. I have friends who are MB fanatics. They would NEVER have a "Japanese piece of crap". Of course all of their cars have to be "European". They also have a very expensive house with 100% mortgage, credit card debt, a 1995 MB S420 with a new loan on it, a boat that they have a loan on and can't afford to fix when it breaks, etc.

I, on the other hand, couldn't care less about the "prestige" of the car or where it came from. Reliability and Resale is key. I have a nice house with 50% equity, no credit card debt, and only pay cash for "recreational purchases".

This in no way makes me better than anyone else I just think, from my experience, it does hold true to the two types of buyers. IMHO
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I drive a BMW instead of a Lexus. ;-)
    As I said yesterday - to each their own on spending money. No one should be critical of others. Some are carefree - spending everything they have and when a job is lost the house usually has to be sold. These people tend to seek status and as such do buy lux cars and yes many of them buy a Lexus as well. So to generalize that they buy the most prestigious brand is probably over the top. It's probably the case in a higher percentage of times but trust me these people also buy Lexus, BMW, Jag etc because they all have plenty of status.

Others are more conservative and build equity in homes and businesses and build up savings. It's life and all that really matters is whether one is happy. I know plenty of rich people and many of them are not satisfied and I know plenty of lesser income people and many of them are.

Merc1 - forgot - Queen Latifa is also in town about a mile away. Bon Jovi lives over in Rumson which is a helluva town on the Navesink river (Springsteen used to live there) and Geraldo Rivera and Connie Chung are in neighboring Middletown NJ. I just missed Bon Jovi at Ray Catena one day. He was shopping an LX for his wife and I had just taken the GX out for the day to see if it was the right truck. The big money towns here are Colts Neck, Rumson and Holmdel and all three have some homes that price out at $10-20mln particularly Rumson because of the water. Now one guy in town would be an interesting interview. He has an SL, an SC, an LS, an S500 and an LX470. But he also has a 10 car garage in a 12,000 foot house with lifts. So God only knows what else he has in that garage.

By the way the car salesman will tell you some great stories. A funny one my guy told me was about Martina Navritolova - she bought her and hers SC430's. Those were his words.
    That was my overall perspective of European brands. Just like yours may be that anyone (especially a 35 y/o with no kids) who drives a LS430, when they can afford a BMW or MB, is boring.

I guess it all depends on where you fall. I am more like the guy earlier who ranked "fun to drive" as last. Mostly because I don't want to find driving "fun" as I do too much of it.
    "Bon Jovi lives over in Rumson which is a helluva town on the Navesink river"

Yes, he lives in a nice cottage, but it is for sale.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Can anyone imagine the thrill and status you would have if you had neighbors like Geraldo, Ms. Chung, Bon who?, Springsteen et. al? Come on, with neighbors (and the assorted hangers on and government agencies that they would attract), like that who needs to live there? You wouldn't want to even see them on television (e.g., Geraldo) so why would you want them as neigbors to share your life with? It sounds like the all-flash, no-cash, bling-bling crowd. No thanks.

Give me a medium sized city with real people with a sense of community. Where people drive what they own not what they need to lease as a fashion statement. Throw in a couple of Starbucks and Borders/Barnes&Nobles located within two hours of the ocean and skiing and that would be all she wrote.
    Yikes, that sounds like Barrington IL, or Lake Forest where all the Bears live. Any British or Italian cars there..Ferrari, Aston-Martin, Bentley? I'm surprised you've never seen an A8 there. I always heard that the Northeastern part of the US was a Audi, Saab and Volvo stronghold. The celebs there makes it sound like Hollywood Northeast...lol.

kdshapiro,

Careful, you aren't going to be able to verify that with a survey or bar graph from JDP. I mentioned what you said about SL's in your area and got the Gettysburg address from atop the CR and JDP mountain.

mfullmer,

ljflx is right, it does indeed vary. There are people in debt up to their eyeballs with every brand of car, not just the prestige Euro brands.

M
    You are correct. My experience has been though, people with so-called "European Prestige Brands" generally (note that I used "generally") are more wrapped up in the "Prestige" of having a European car than the overall functionality. Those same friends I mentioned earlier are on their 4th LR Discovery. They keep buying them despite the awful experience they have had with them. He, in jest, always teases me about my "American piece of junk" Chevy Tahoe yet we are constantly taking it because it is so difficult to get into the mail-slot rear doors of his Disco. We'll see if his attitude changes when I get the LS. I have to admit my current vehicle (2001 Cadillac STS) is (soon to be was) a total piece of crap though.

I've also noticed a certain "haughty aire" to BMW owners (in GENERAL) on the road.

I know that my prejudice is only generalized by my experiences but I get a certain pleasure out of NOT giving in to my desire to own a "look-at-me" brand and choose my vehicles first and foremost on reliability.

Although - I'm thinking of getting a '99 or '00 SL to have as a weekend car. I just started warming up to that body style as the new (read: UGLY) one's came out.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "I've also noticed a certain "haughty aire" to BMW owners (in GENERAL) on the road."

I tend to agree with you, I had to overcome the same stereotype about BMW drivers myself before I bought my first one. I'm a little different from most folks though in that while I like my luxury goodies, I still want a car with a good sporting capability AND a manual transmission. Unfortunately the number of cars on the market that meet my criteria these days are few and far between, hence my move to BMW.

FWIW, even though I'm doing the "European Prestige" thing, I have all of my credit cards paid off, my home has an LTV of less than 50%, and even though my kids are only 10 and 7, their college funds are already capable of getting them through their undergraduate degrees. So, IMHO, it's time to play. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "I've also noticed a certain "haughty aire" to BMW owners (in GENERAL) on the road."

I've also noticed that BMW owners put more miles on their cars than other marques. Could it be there is something to the "ultimate driving machine" other than fluff, image and arrogance?

Besides, BMW is no longer a "look at me" brand and I'm not sure it ever was. There's some serious ugly going on there. Buyers are turning their backs on the look so it's all about function now—the ride. Any "prestige" that comes with it is icing on the cake.

There are airs with all luxury marques BMW included, but for most BMW buyers it goes a little deeper and I would think that anyone who doesn't understand this never drove a BMW.
    You are thinking its like Beverly Hills or something. Nope. It's very private, very country like and you rarely see these people and when you do you respect their privacy. It's so private around here that many people don't even put up window treatments.

Merc1 - The A8 just never cut it in the NYC and south of NYC area. But go northeast of NYC to Conneticut and you'll see a decent amount of them. When I looked at the A8 in 2001 the local dealership - which was an awful place - told me they get 4 A8's a month and they were discounting heavily without me negotiating. When I test drove the car a few months back nothing had changed. I'm sure a few are sprinkled around but with the local dealership (and it's a small one which also sells Range Rovers) selling so few it's easy to see why they are so rare around here.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Since the Merc and Audi comes with AWD, and considering the weather in the Northeast and midwest for last couple of weeks wouldn't it be smart to pick the Merc and Audi over everything else? RWD LS or BMW 7 series doesn't help during major winter storms
    Anyone who can afford these cars likely has a car that has AWD or has an SUV particularly in the cold climates. If a need for a third occasional vehicle is there you can pick up a cheap suv or even lease a grand cheroee for under $300 a month. It's not mandatory at all. S-class AWD's are low sellers and A8 sales are typically 2000 a year in all of the US. A bit higher now because of the new model but it will revert right back. If I was an S-class buyer I'd stick with the base car and buy an extra suv that is cheap for the lease price difference. While I hope Lexus comes out with AWD I also hope it's optional.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Ya know, I'm really getting into this peaceful and harmonious discussion you are all having.

There have been good points made on all sides without getting acrimonious. Thanks.
    I think everyone is fighting enough battles with the snow and cold at the moment - at least for the northern tier of posters.

My money is on Carolina Sunday. Anyone with me? Lack of a running game will hurt New England.
    Yeah I remember you telling me about that awful LR/Audi dealership before. I'm surprised it's still in operation. Audi has built entirely new dealerships in the Chicago area, all of them are new except for the oldest on the near North side of Chicago itself. That dealership should also be under pressure from Ford, which wants LR/Jaguar and Aston-Martin all together when possible. I'm sure they aren't happy about Land Rover sharing space with Audi. However, there is only so much the manufacturer can do at the dealership level.

One thing however, S-Class 4Matics are not low sellers, they made up over 30 percent of all S-Class sales last year nationwide.

M
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Put me down for Carolina also. We'll see what happens.
    Audi still has an 18-year-old facility up in Glenview (is that the one you refer to?). It was built as an Acura dealer (the very first in Chicagoland), and then about 10 years ago Audi moved in and Acuras and Audis were sold side-by-side. Just recently, Acura moved out and built a spanking-new building right next door. Even though it is next door it is in Morton Grove and not Glenview.

When the Audis and Acuras were together potential customers would go in the back and talk to the mechanics to see which were better cars from a reliability standpoint. Of course, the mechanics said the Acuras required far less maintenance. I guess they wanted to separate the two brands to "protect" Audi and that may be why Acura moved out.
    I didn't realize the percentage was that high but it still equates to only about 7,000 cars. If you haven't got your current edition of motor trend yet I can promise you that you're going to enjoy it. 25 pages on future cars.

lenscap - I sought of feel the same way about this one as I did about New England winning two years ago. I think Carolina will blitz heavily because of the lack of NE's running game and this will throw them off. Regardless New England was very impressive in the AFC championship as was Carolina in the NFC game. Should be a good super bowl.
    I forgot about that dealer, I've been there before. Yes they're in an old-look/build facility. I'm sure each brand had their reasons for being seperate. Reliablity for Acura, and styling, and dept of models for Audi. I heard a few people saying how the A6 and A8s made the Acuras look like a bunch of Hondas, naturally I laughed when I overheard this..lol. I'm sure Acura took more than their fair share of Audi intenders when the sticker prices were looked at.

ljflx,

Well thats still a good amount when you're talking about less than 25K cars, especially for such a pricey car to start with. For the E-Class it will be even higher this year, 4Matic E's are an hot item. I have the MT issue. Honestly I'm tiring of MT, their writing is so high-school and it's always the Corvette, Mustang type rhetoric month in and month out. No sophistication at all. England's CAR magazine has more in one issue than about 5 of Motor Trend's. Though I do like MT's comparos (sometimes) and it's always fun to read what they *think* the future cars are going to be.

M
  • bkpawsatbkpawsat Member Posts: 13
    I bought my first BMW 320i in 1982 and I have now owned over 7. My current cars are a 740il and 330i. I kept buying them because I couldn't find any other cars with the same combination of "road feel" and "comfort".

I have to admit that in the Washington DC area, BMW used to be exclusive and I felt a little special because of the hood ornament. With BMW selling over 225,000 cars and SAV's in the US per year, it seems like everyone is driving one.

They are growing sales because they offer a great product with a great reputation. BMW's receive praise from car magazines and every road test for performance sedans is titled "BMW Beater??? Then you read the test and the conclusion is: close but not a BMW beater. Even the conservative mag Consumer Reports pronounced the 530i the best car they have ever tested.

I've been looking for a replacement for my current 7 series and when I test dive the Lexus, Merc, Phaeton, Audi, Infiniti, I get back in my car and drive away knowing that I'm already in the best car. (in my humble opinion) I guess the only replacement for me is a newer BMW (except the new 7 scares me a bit).
  • i_drivei_drive Member Posts: 35
    I've been at the Porsche Cayenne forum lately (just took home a new Cayenne Tiptronic V6 yesterday!). You guys talk A LOT within a week!

So far, we like the Cayenne so much we don't want to give it to our daughter (supposed to be a birthday gift in about 2 weeks). according to plan, I want to get my wife a Cayenne S, but we've been quite pleased actually with the performance of the Cayenne V6 (but noticibly weaker than the S model). the only problem; we've got this one in black and it takes in dust WITHIN SECONDS, literally. So I always have to wipe it. And guess what? All of our cars are black. Black S430, Black (metallic) SL55, Black Cayenne, and soon-to-be black Cayenne S. Drives a lot of our neighbors crazy.

So, what's up with this NavUp programme? My 2002 S430 has CD-based GPS, and look at what it says:

(@ mbusa.com...)

CD Navigation - Model Year 2004 C-Class, CLK-Class, G-Class, SL-Class.
    (Also available for prior model year vehicles with CD or DVD navigation)

------------------------------------

I don't understand that. It says 'also avaliable for prior model years WITH CD or DVD navigation.'

Does this mean that a CD-based Navigation can use DVD-CD's? I highly doubt that, but if that's the case, I'll send it asap to my MB dealer. Because all I can say is that the '02 COMMAND GPS system was one of the worst introduced (actually, the Cayenne's is THE worst)

Mercedes-Benz of Laguna Niguel has a lot of Maybach's in the showroom. Stopped by there last weekend to service the car, and I'm honestly quite surprised about the close-resemblance to the '04 S-Class. A bit too close, in my opinion. But, I've seen one, Maybach (the 57 model) cruising along Pearl Ave. in Downtown La Jolla. I think it was some desert-silver color, close to the designo silver offered on the S-Class. It was an rather old gentleman, about 60 something. The car zipped along quite fast, which was interesting considering the gigantic size of that monster.

i've also heard from my salesperson at MB of LN that the next-generation S-Class will look very similar to the Maybach- not too sure I'll like that, but time will tell...
    Mercedes-Benz of Naperville (IL) also has a Maybach 57 in the showroom. It has a different set of wheels than others I've seen, though they are still Maybach factory rims.

I hope the next S doesn't look like the Maybach, but some of the spy photos and drawings are pointing in that direction, with the rear of the next S having a similar design. One thing the next S should have a Maybach level interior, with an all new look.

i_drive,

What has the SL55 AMG been like to own/drive?

M
    I received an invite for a personal showing of the Quattroporte at the Chicago Autoshow this Sunday. I finally get to up close and personal with the Italian "4-door"! I can't wait, it's just what I wanted.

M
    Enjoy and give us your view after you see it.

By the way I told you the Maybach had a bit too much of a Lincolnesque grill. But I still find the car quite impressive from the side and the interior is out of this world. I did'nt notice if the rear seat is raised like the Rolls so that the back seat passenger has same view as driver.
    I surely will report back on the Quattroporte.

Did you recently see/drive a Maybach or something? Yes it's still an awesome car in my book, my only real problem is the styling. I hope the next generation Maybach has a better look outside and a interior not in the same pattern/style as Mercedes'.

I read your post on the LS board, and yes you're right the HPX doesn't look anything like the FX. I'm not sure what I said back then based on pictures, but after actually seeing it I agree that it doesn't look like the Infiniti FX. I think some may have got it twisted by thinking just because the HPX was rumored to be launched because of the FX, they convinced themselves that it also looked like it??

Naturally I totally disagree with the notion of a S600 being a "total ripoff" because it looks like the other S-Class models. The S600's power and command of the road is unmatched by anything from Japan. Only Audi's A8L 6.0 W12 looks any different from the basic A8, nobody else does different body work for their V12s or top line cars either.

M
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    An article in today's WSJ: "The National Academy of Sciences says in a new report that a "lengthy transition period" is needed before the U.S. can switch from gasoline and natural gas to hydrogen to run motor vehicles, and that a full transformation could take until 2050." The report says more research is needed into hydrogen storage, delivery systems, pipeline materials and electrolysis, among other things.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Maybe ripoff isn't the right word, but for me anyway the huge price premiums aren't worth it. If you look purely at materials costs (and you can get and idea just from looking at the weight of the V12 vs V8 car) there shouldn't be a huge difference in that aspect. What you are paying for is development costs being spread out over a smaller number of units, plus higher (probably much higher) manufacturer profit margins on the V12 version.

Put another way, if it costs an extra 40k to get a car that goes 0-60 in 5sec rather than 6, and an extra 200k to get one that goes in 4sec, and an extra 1mm to get to 3sec...well, even people who can afford to spend 300k or 1mm or whatever on a car aren't necessarily going to do so. Many wealthy folk do care about value.
    Real "wealthy folk" who really care about value wouldn't buy a Mercedes Benz. A Lexus is a much better value seeing it's regarded as the best luxury car available, reliable and subdued.

Real "wealth folk" are more interested in value than "flash appeal", which is all a Mercedes Benz can offer.
    Nope. Haven't driven a Maybach but I'd love to give it a try. I did see another one on the road though. I find the car very impressive except from the front end as the grill cheapens it. It's almost like the grill was an afterthought or maybe it was a compromise amongst various design concepts and personal egos. But it misses in a car of this type of distinction.

Ripoff - is maybe too strong a word but the S600 price is about $20k too high in my opinion.

So you're still spying on the LS board, huh.

Great Superbowl. They should do it like that every year - the game I mean. I'll stay silent about the half-time show.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, yes ... about the silent part, thank you. :-)
    To be honest - I missed it as my dog needed to be walked. But I did see it on my buddies Tivo the next day. But there is nothing like "real-time". I did like the clothing malfunction story though. Now we know that clothing wasn't made in Japan - that's for sure.
    I can see why you might say that but its far too much of a generalization. I would say that people who seek flash and have the money may go with an MB as first choice though. They are looking for the car for prestige of buying the most expensive name brand rather than for the car itself. But I almost bought an S-500 and I don't care about flash at all. Several people on the LS board who bought an LS430 looked seriously at both cars as well. I also know people and have friends who drive MB's and they are low profile people and hardly seek flash.
    A Mercedes-Benz is all flash and nothing else? Really? Ok. A Lexus LS430 may be reguarded by some as the best luxury car in it's segment, but the GS, SC and IS surely aren't even close to leading their segments.

Value doesn't always mean cheap or being less expensive. Some people see "value" in a more expensive car for what it offers compared to a cheaper car that doesn't have as much.

ljflx,

Thats funny you dislike the front of the Maybach and I dislike the rear. Various TV stations here are having shows on the Chicago autoshow and the Maybach and Rolls Phantoms are headliner in each one. One guy previewing the cars earlier tonight at the black-tie viewing said he's buying one of each, a Maybach 57 for him and Phantom for her! Cha-ching 650K!

I read a lot of different boards every day. You have to keep an eye on developments concerning the competition.

All I'll say about the half-time show is that guys, TiVo is the key!

M
    "I did like the clothing malfunction story though. Now we know that clothing wasn't made in Japan - that's for sure."

Now that's funny!

While many people do buy Mercedes just for the "flash" value, many others do not. My girlfriend's father is about as non-flashy as you can get (a very good thing in my mind), and he owned an SL600 that he bought new in the mid-90s. He bought the car for several reasons but flash was certainly not one of them, I can assure you that.
    Lots of people buy luxury marques for flash and image. So what if Mercedes has or doesn’t have more of these? People are entitled to do what they want with their money.

Furthermore, I see very good reasons to exhibit one’s success especially if it helps drum up business. For instance, if I were in a position to invest people’s money I’d feel a lot better soliciting clients in a Mercedes or BMW than a Honda. Kind of gives them some confidence in your abilities, no? I’m not saying it should be a smokescreen to cover up any shortcomings, but it does tend to say… “I made money and can help you do the same.”

That said, there are also people who are NOT pretentious who buy solely for performance, reliability and comfort. Lots of types out there… no big deal. The only problem I see is with those who buy for status and can’t afford it. These people are to be pitied and are a danger to themselves.

Yes, I often feel good about the status that comes with my luxury cars, but it's not the most important thing in my life and never trick myself into thinking I'm better than someone else because of it. Personally, I think most owners of all luxury cars feel the same way.
    Devil's advocate here!

When I see someone who depends on my money to make a living appearing to be able to indulge very expensive tastes, I figure that person is costing me too much money. :-)
    I think those that buy any car for status say (to themselves) - "I made money - see my car". That was mfullmer's point except it was generalized too much. I've never seen anyone solicit people in expensive cars and hope I never do. Of course if you are talking about real estate agents or investment bankers and you see the cars later - that's a different story. But then I'd think they'd intimidate lesser income people and higher income people would think they are overcharging them.
    "When I see someone who depends on my money to make a living appearing to be able to indulge very expensive tastes, I figure that person is costing me too much money. :-)"

Go back and read my post, particularly the sentence with the word "smokescreen."
    "I've never seen anyone solicit people in expensive cars and hope I never do."

I have, and they are also very good at what they do, sell good products, are down to earth and are decent human beings.
    "But then I'd think they'd intimidate lesser income people and higher income people would think they are overcharging them."

ljflx, you are talking about less-than-savvy shoppers here don't you think?
    designman - I did read your post and I was just contributing, not arguing ... I'm not saying anything about the hypothetical person's abilities, just expensive tastes and who ultimately finances them. :)
    It's far too off topic - but just for the heck of it - what products are sold by people from their cars? I exclude NYC where you can buy a suite of electronic products while you are trying to get into the Holland tunnel. But those people are not in expensive cars anyway.
    "Some people see "value" in a more expensive car for what it offers compared to a cheaper car that doesn't have as much."

An interesting point, as that is my point of view about value.

Value is about what I think something has, not what you tell me it has.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I think people sometimes misjudge the effect cars have. First of all, the vast majority of people couldn't car less about the car your drive, and certainly I can't envision any single situation where someone will think higher of you just because you drive an S600 instead of clean VW Golf. Then again, there are people who sink a lot of money into a car and then discover it negatively affects how effective they can interface with their target customers. If you're selling network equipment to a group of young engineers at SBC, they will not be easily won by someone parking a new Rolls in the parking lot.
    "If you're selling network equipment to a group of young engineers at SBC, they will not be easily won by someone parking a new Rolls in the parking lot."

Why if I were driving a rolls would I be selling network equipment? But that begs the question, I don't go to a senior mgmt meeting wearing jeans either. If I could afford a rolls, I could also afford a Honda to sell network equipment in.
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    designman, show me a business person in an S Class or more better and I'll show you a guy whose business(plan) is so deficient that it couldn't deploy the additional 70K+ in capital. IMHO real business people, not the clowns you see on TV or in the Robb Report, who are building a business don't buy luxury consumption goods; rather they invest in their business. A lease payment of 2K per month on an S Class or better is foolishness to them. A stock broker with an S Class is a stock broker without profitable investment ideas.

Professionals (e.g., physicians, CPAs, lawyers, entertainers, etc.) usually come out of a more academic background. They are not only not constantly weighing the pros and cons of alternative investment ideas, they also usually lack the ability to put more capital to work in their business (i.e., their practice). As a result they are more susceptable to the lures of luxury goods like 15K watches and 100K sedans. (Some professionals have real vision however and do have an active, self-managed investment portfolio. Maybe they buy the building where their practice is located or make other investments. This is rare though. Most can't spend it fast enough and at 65 have little to show for a lifetime of high income.)

The serious business people in New England that I know drive AWD Denalis, XC Volvos, and three year old Exploders. etc. They go in early and stay late, no matter what the weather. And they wear a black sport watch not a (fake) gold Rolex like a sales manager at a domestic car store. So if they bang it on a Bridgeport or when they are working-out they just buy another Timex. Meanwhile the trustfunders (TFers) and the people with letters after their name are at the Patek Phillipe counter handing over the plastic thinking that spending is an "investment".