Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    PS BTW, I love the styling. Beautiful, with character, distinctiveness, and you can recognize it as a Mazda immediately.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The word on the street is that the Duratech is too old for that vehicle so expect something newer(probably Ford). The CD4E is out for sure. Think Jatco...
    A rotary would be nice. It would really stand out, along with the styling.

-juice
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Really? The word I have heard on my streets is that it will be the 3.0L Duratec with Mazda's S-VT and should produce between 210-220hp. But, if the CD4E goes away, I really don't care what the engine is. What would be nice would be the 2.5L currently in the car but modernized with Mazda's direct injection and S-VT. The output and efficiency they are getting with the 4-cyl's is absolutely amazing!! Or, how about the 280hp twin-turbo 2.5L that found it's way into the European 626 MPS concept!!!
    We can dream, but a rotary or twin turbo isn't likely on a high volume mid-sizer.

I guess direct injection is a more realistic hope.

-juice
    Those look more like something coming out of SEMA.

That looks like the non-US 626 with enough stuff tacked on to keep people interested, though.

-juice
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    I agree, that they should keep the numeric scheme; all other car company trying to move away from name and moving to numberic or alphabetical, eq Acura's bad alphabetical scheme, TL, RL (Acura Legend sounds much better than RL; DUH). In other parts of the world, Mazda did used naming scheme for most of it's product and very successfull with it; eq: Mazda Cronos and Capella (626), Mazda Astina and Mazda Lantis (Protege5 and it's ancestor), Mazda Sentia (929). I like the Cronos and Lantis name, but those "Atenza" and "Antheon" doesn't sound right for Mazda.

anyway, got this info off of automotivenews.com
    626: The next-generation 626 is being developed off a global fwd mid-sized car platform Mazda is developing for parent Ford. The sedan arrives in fall 2002 and will be longer, wider and more
    powerful than the current model. It resembles the Acura 3.2TL, with touches of Lexus IS 300 and Audi A4. ngine options will be a 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder and a 3.0-liter V-6 with variable-valve timing, mated to a five-speed automatic. The suspension will be double wishbone up front and multilink at the rear, making it the most performance-oriented sedan in its class.
    A wagon, similar in appearance to the Audi A4 Avant, is slated to join the lineup.

It mentioned that the new 3.0 V6 will have "variable-valve timing", I don't recall any Ford engine have that feature, so I'm hoping that this will be a Mazda's designed and built engine.
    Now let us all pray and hope that is the case. Please God, Please.....

cheers
    Sounds good to me.

-juice
    The Ford trannys really know how to waste the power that's given to them, so any other make of trans is an improvemnet. The 4cyl from those who know say it's a great motor. We'll see how it does in the truck and Trib.
    Don't hold your breath on that one... Like I said before, the engine will be the 3.0L DOHC V6 Duratec outfitted with Mazda's S-VT (Sequential Valve Timing) and should output between 210-220hp. On a good note, the 3.0L Duratec is a world class engine and one of the few things Ford has done right in the past few years. The 2.3L DOHC 4-cyl Duratec will see use as the base engine in the 626, Tribute, B-Series, and Protege, as well as the Ranger, Escape, and Focus. It was a joint design with Mazda and Ford and will be built in the U.S. by Ford, Japan by Mazda, and Europe by Ford.
    I miss the numeric naming Mazda used. 323, 626, 929, MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, and RX-7... Ahhh, those were the good days and the best times for Mazda.
    So, Mazda must have gotten a shot at reengineering that Duratec. Ford was making 200hp from that mill.

For whatever reason, the 3.0l Duratec (Taurus, Tribute) has been better than the 2.5l Duratec (Contour, MPV), so I say drop the 2.5l and beef up the 2.3l 4 banger.

The idea of cars sharing an engine with a truck doesn't sound so good, though.

-juice
    Ford's Duratec V6 is not as smooth as Mazda's 2.5V6. When I test drove a V6 Tribute, the engine was harsher and louder than Mazda's 2.5V6. While the power of the 3.0 duratec is very good and pull the tribute very nice, Mazda and Ford better revised that engine for a sedan. I used to own a '93 626 ES and the engine was smoother and quiter than the duratec V6 on the tribute. Maybe it's because I'm driving an SUV, without much sound dampening and other stuff to reduce NVH, and I've never driven a Taurus with the same Duratec V6 in it. Anwyay, I'm still hoping that Mazda will provide those 3.0 V6 for the upcoming 626.
  • dayokayodedayokayode Member Posts: 31
    Although cute wagons (like Protege5) are currently in, it would be nice to see a 626 (or whatever its successor will be called) 2-door coupe. I currently drive a 2000 626lxv6 and would have gotten a Mazda coupe, if it was available. This will further increase Mazda's share. I still see a lot of Mx6s on the road; even after all these years, they still look good and sporty. I just don't care too much for the boxy and bland Honda Accord Coupe and Toyota Solara.

Since we're all dreaming, what about a special edition of the 626 (25+ or 30+ year anniversary edition) with more hp (jstandfer's 280hp), more aggressive looks etc?
    The 3.0L DOHC Duratec V6 is used quite often in the Taurus and is also used in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type. The engine was originally designed for a sedan, and was later put into the Tribute and Escape, but of course, those two SUVs sit on a 626 platform. In the Taurus, Lincoln, and Jaguar, the 3.0L Duratec is very quiet and smooth. It's not quite to the levels of the Mazda 2.5L, but neither are most V6's. Unfortunately, the 2.5L is too small to remain competetive now, as the Taurus, Accord, Camry, Altima, Stratus, Malibu, Galant, Grand Am, and Jetta all have larger engines. The MPV will get the 3.0L Duratec for 2002 as well. The 2.3L Duratec 4-cyl will be the base engine for the 626 and Tribute.

dayokayode... I would love to see a special edition 626!! However, I wouldn't count on one as 2002 will be the last year of the 626 and I'm sure Mazda would be better off spending the money on the replacement. But, with Mazda you never know what to expect!! It would be nice to see an MPS (Mazda Performance Series) version of the 2002 626 with the Millenia's 210hp/210lb-ft 2.3L DOHC Miller-Cycle V6 with suspension upgrades and a slight body kit...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    i had read that they WERE going to make an MPS 626. I've actually seen it mentioned in a couple of different places as a sidenote to the MP3. But, who knows.

Hey, I'd be happy just to see a Millenia S (or an equivalent) with a stick. I'll take care of the other add-ons if I need to. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I dunno, the coupe market is pretty flat. The money's in sedans, sport wagons, and SUVs.

As much as like the Miller Cycle engine, US customers don't know enough about it. Mazda has spread itself too thin.

-juice
  • tomd13tomd13 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, I hear the next 626 is going to be built on the Mondeo platform. This
    was used for the contour which was a sleeper as far as handling is concerned. The mondeo is a good seller in europe and having drove a contour I think
    this bodes well for 626, I hate to see the V-6 KE go away lets hope the next power plant is mazda design. If you want to read about the KE-KL 2.5 V-6 engine go to:http:/www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae9206677/

Tom
    The next 626 is being built on the NEW Mondeo platform, which is worlds better than the previous platform on which the Contour/Mystique/Cougar sat on. This new platform had to up to par for Jaguar, since the new X-Type sits on it. BTW, the new 626 engines are Ford Duratec's. Both the 2.3L and 3.0L will probably be built by Ford in the U.S. because the 626 is built here as well. Meanwhile, the Protege will also get the new 2.3L, but it will be built in Japan by Mazda since the Protege is built in Japan.
    Just saw the 2002 Camry this afternoon. Yuk! Is it me or is this car even more UGLY than its predecessor? It looks like a bloated Avalon (a car I never liked) or an Echo on steroids. I read that although they've bumped up the 4-cylinder hp a bit, the 6 cylinder is still rated at around 194 hp. Waiting to see what the new Accord will look like.

I hope Mazda scores with the new 626. If they can create an attractive and powerful car, they may finally have a winner on their hands and get people passionate about the car once again (just look at the Protege boards!).
    They did Avalon-ize the Camry. The front and sides look OK, but the rear went down the ugly path that the Maxima and Taurus took.

The 626 sketches look promising.

-juice
  • felixdacat13felixdacat13 Member Posts: 25
    I have owned Mazda's in the past and until recently, have had nothing against this company. However in the last few months I have had almost identical negative experiences in taking test drives of their vehicles.
    Last winter, I went to a car show and was generally impressed with the looks of both the MPV and the 626.
    Then in May I took a test drive of the MPV. I ended up getting an Odyssey because the engine was just too small. I know they're upgrading to the Tribute engine in 2002, but I couldn't wait that long.
    Yesterday I test drove a 626 V6. And again the engine is just way too underpowered.
    This company will not be competitive until they can put something under the hood. And they're losing ground when Nissan has a 175 HP V4 and a 255 V6.
    enough said
    Although Mazda has typically stressed handling over hp, I don't agree that the 626v6 (which I own) and the MPV are underpowered. Even with the automatic, the 626v6 is quick, fun to drive and handles like a dream; the manual v6 is quicker and even more fun to drive. Mazdas are quirky autos that drive differently than the competition; they (at least the Protege and 626) demand to be driven hard to coax the required performance out of them (this has been my experience).

Although the Odyssey has more 'power', it looks like a tank and is probably more difficult to manoeuvre (no offence intended); handling is probably not up to the MPV's level. Whilst Nissan offers excellent v6 engines, I don't particularly care for their looks and/or handling.

To satisfy people who only care about numbers, the company is upgrading the engines in the 626, MPV etc. If you scroll through old messages, you'll see some of the planned changes for the 626's replacement.
    It's not fair to compare Nissan Altima's 2002 model with the current 626. The altima just came out barely a month and its totally new. Their 2001 model only has 155HP max and no V6 compared to 170HP on Mazda's V6; DOH.
    When Mazda release their new 626 next year, it's going to have a 3.0V6 with roughly 210-220HP. Yes, it's not 255HP like the Altima has, but it would be more than enough to power the 626 to be a fun "drivers" car.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    On the other hand, the 626 weighs less than the competition - by 100 to 400 lb - so the power deficit is somewhat offset. Even with the, um, V4. :)

(I wonder how Volkswagen's W8 is going to play in Passatland?)
    A V6 5-speed 626 is definitely not "slow", not by any stretch of the imagination. Despite the power ratings, a V6 will easily outrun an Altima with the new 4 banger.

Also, note that Nissan originally called it 180hp, but had to back off when the cars were much slower than expected. They now claim 175hp.

I agree that the MPV really could use a boost, but I mean c'mon, it's a minivan. It's also several thousand dollars cheaper than an Odyssey. I've looked at both and one big difference is that the MPV's rear windows open. It makes other minivans seem like jail cells in comparison. I was also surprised to see a rather significant advantage in reliability for the Mazda, usually a Honda strong point.

Sorry to break your heart, but the Odyssey just got a 30hp boost itself, for 2002, plus rear disc brakes. Someone like you (who desires big HP) should have waited. Major bummer. :-(

-juice
    I guess if you really wanted a performance minivan, then you would have bought a Dodge Grand Caravan ES with all-wheel drive, 3.8L V6, and AutoStick transmission. Not only will it outrun the Odyssey, but it will outhandle it as well. Reliabiltiy? Not an Odyssey strong point, which is strange for Honda. But once the 200hp 3.0L DOHC Duratec is placed in the MPV, I think it will easily outrun the Odyssey, since it is 800 pounds lighter!

The Mazda 2.5L DOHC V6 looks weak on paper but is a blast to drive and a model of smoothness. At least Mazda will allow you to mate it with a manual transmission, unlike most of its competitors who claim to be performance oriented but then fail to offer a proper transmission. The Maxima is the exception, but it is easily much more expensive than the 626. Nissan is doing a Ride and Drive next door while I am typing this. I was out watching them run Accord's and the new Altima around some cones. The Altima sure accelerates quickly, but handling is certainly not a strong point as I watch it slide through cones and cover my ears as the tires squealed everytime there was a slight deviation from straight in the cone course. Meanwhile, the 4-cyl Accord (yes, they're comparing a loaded V6 Altima against a base model 4-cyl Accord) isn't as quick, but handles much better through the cones and probably completes the course in the same amount of time.
  • janeokjaneok Member Posts: 4
    I would appreciate any advice. I am interested in buying a 98 626 ES V6 w/ 30000 miles. Price before haggling is 13990. Is this a good deal? What does the 30000 mile service entail/cost? Mazda has a certified used car program but dealers in my area do not advertise this and act cagey when questioned about it. I would like to get a 12/12000 warranty as I would get w/ a certified used Honda or Toyota. Does anyone have any experience w/ Mazda certifed used cars? One of the primary appeals of this car is the price, significantly lower than the V6 Accords and Camrys I have looked at. I feel hesitant about no extended warranty though.
    Thanks for any help!
  • scootiscooti Member Posts: 13
    You didn't say whether this car is a 5 speed or automatic. We have a loaded 2000 ES 5 speed with 30,000 mi. and have been only offered $13,500 on a trade. Our car has 6 disc changer, leather, roof, abs, traction control. It is a very nice car though. Mazda vehicles come with a 3 year/ 50,000 mi. warranty. Possibly the vehicle you are looking at would still fall under this warranty (if it has been less than 3 years since the vehicle was originally titled). I am not sure what the certified used car program is about. We haven't taken our car in for 30,000 mi. service yet. Hope this helps you a little bit.

Bill
  • jenny33jenny33 Member Posts: 2
    Brand new to this discussion board... getting lots of good advice here. I've been thinking about buying a new 626 and saw here that there's a major overhaul for 2002. But I still don't fully understand what's happening with the 626 for 2002? When is the new model supposed to be available and is it worth waiting until then? Also, what changes will be made? Is there a place I can go to get all this info or does one of you already know? Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome!

Try this page on Edmunds.com: New Mazda Vehicles. And keep checking back here for more conversation.

Good luck.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    The new 626 (it probably will be called something else) will debut in the Spring/Summer (??) of 2002 as a 2003 model. I think the 2002 626 is basically the same as the 2000 and 2001 models, with some minor modifications.
  • jenny33jenny33 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Pat - for the suggestion of Edmunds's new Mazda section. I'd already been there and noticed that Edmunds doesn't have any specs or reviews of the new 626 so I was hoping that someone here might have details on whether the modifications will be minor or major. My real question is whether it's worth waiting for the new version in Spring/Summer or buy a 2001 626 now?
    My guess is the changes will be major. It'll move to an entirely new platform, and likely take on Ford engines.

That's good and bad. The sketches I've seen show a gorgeous car, but reliability would be a concern. Also, the cars may get watered down if we just get handed down Ford powertrains.

IMO it's hit or miss. The MPV is a hit and reliability scores are better than the Odyssey. The Tribute, on the other hand, kind of bombed (in terms of quality, not sales numbers) at its launch.

-juice
    For 2002, the 626 soldiers on basically unchanged for its final year. The only changes are the deletion of the ES 4-cyl model and a repackaging of the ES-V6. The LX will now be the only 4-cyl model available. The ES-V6 will no longer have the Bose audio system and moonroof as standard equipment. However, the base price will drop by $1,300. The Bose audio system, power moonroof, ABS, and side-impact airbags will now be availalbe as separate options or as part of the new ES Premium Package.

For 2003, the 626 nameplate will be eliminated and replaced by a totally new vehicle. The platform is a brand new global mid-size platform designed by Mazda and will form the basis for Ford's global midsize vehicles such as the Taurus, Sable, Volvo midsize, Jaguar midsize, etc. The new platform is slightly longer and wider. It will be powered by the 2.3L DOHC Duratec I4 (designed by Mazda) which should produce about 150-160hp. The V6 will be the Ford 3.0L Duratec DOHC V6 fitted with Mazda's S-VT (Sequential Valve Timing, similar to Honda's iV-TEC, Toyota's VVTi-L, or BMW's VANOS) and other Mazda improvements. Its power output should be in the 210-220hp range. Both will be available with a 5-spd automatic transmission, and the 4-cyl will be available with a manual transmission (I have not heard about the V6). The 626-replacement will move slightly upscale to help fill in the slot left open when the Millenia is discontinued for 2003. The new vehicle should represent more luxury and performance than the Taurus and Sable.
    The Tribute should prove to be quite reliable. The 3.0L Duratec V6 is an excellent engine and has seen use for years in the Taurus/Sable, Lincoln LS, and Jaguar S-Type. The Tribute was plagued by initial recall problems. The only engine recall involved faulty fuel-injectors that may leak. The MPV had that same problem in its first month of sales. Remember, the Tribute is an all-new design built in an all-new factory. Now that the initial "teething" problems have passes, I think the Tribute will show a reliability rating as high as the MPV.
    I respectfully disagree. One peek at the Escape/Tribute Problems boards tells you the problems were more than just the initial recalls. I thought the CD4E would be the sore spot, but it actually seems that the engine itself is, if you read the owners' experiences.

The LS has had its share of problems, and Jaguar is no longer at the top of the charts (that was very short lived).

I was a bit surprised to see how well the MPV scored. It has the engine from the Contour, yet scored much higher than that model, or the Taurus.

I don't like to see Mazda watered down like that. If Ford lets Mazda take the platform and engine development lead, then maybe.

-juice
  • rajvenrajven Member Posts: 4
    I am a first time poster. This board has a lot of useful information. However, I couldn't find an answer to the problem I am having. I have a 95 Mazda 626 ES with 108000 miles on it. Runs real smooth with great gas mileage (25 mpg). However, in cool weather (under 70F), I have noticed that the car shudders violently when I accelerate from a cold start. It's sort of like going on the shoulder of a highway over those mini speed breakers. However, it goes away once the engine is at normal operating temperature for 10 minutes or so. Has anyone experienced this and could someone enlighten me? Thanks a bunch. BTW, I really like the car. Had it for 4 months now.
    Auto or manual? If it's a manual, it might be the clutch's pressure plate struggling to grab. That would mean a new clutch.

On an auto I'd suspect a problem with the trans slipping.

In either case, a fluid change is cheap and may help. The manual take 75w90 gear oil, and you could even go with synthetic. This is probably something you could do yourself. Check out the Miata.net garage; the 626 should be similar.

The auto uses ATF. A full system flush isn't expensive, but I'd let a shop do it.

-juice
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    are as reliable as any out there. Way better than GM, equal to Japanese makes.

Its the Ford trannies that can sometimes go early.

I currently own a Duratec 3.4 v8 and its stellar. I have also owned a Ford mod v8 4.6 and the original SHO engines. All these motors were bulletproof.
  • rajvenrajven Member Posts: 4
    It's an auto trans. I did a fluid change when I first got the car but I did notice that the fluid was almost brown when I changed it. I didn't request for a flushing of the system, just a simple change. Is the flushing considered additional labor? I'll try it per your suggestion. However, shifting seems normal though the car shudders initially, and only when the weather is cold. The car runs smooth after 10-15 minutes of driving. I hope its not the tranny!!
    A flush isn't expensive. I've heard quotes around $100. They hook up a machine that forces new fluid in, and sucks the old fluid out. This purges all the old, contaminated fluid. If it was brown that's what I would go with.

My guess is the tranny shifts smoothly once it warms up and the fluid thins out. So you may want to consider synthetic, which flows better. My guess is new fluid will make enough of an improvement over the brown stuff.

Robert: so you must have had the original V6 SHO, and the newer V8 SHO. Though in fairness, Yamaha had a lot of input, right?

-juice
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    If you are thinking about a new model, I would consider these factors. I own a 1991 with a 2.2 liter engine stick, my son owns a 1997 with the 2.0 and an automatic transmission. My wife insisted that I buy his older car when he bought the newer one. Frankly, it has been one of the best decisions we made. We both love our Mazdas. Here is my take.

Engine. The existing 2.0 engine is torquey and in lower gears accelerates very well. At cruising speed, passing can be a little slow and acceleration is OK. (auto transmission) My 2.2 Mazda engine is quite frankly a dream. It is a perfect weight to horsepower match. I get 30-34 MPG on the highway, and get furious if the city mileage drops below 23. This only happens when I have to put in Oxygenated Fuel. Both Ford and Mazda build excellent engines. My Mazda mechanic who is a specialist (20 years with a Mazda dealership) only buys the 4 cyl engines for his personal use. Much more reliable.

Transmission. While the automatic transmission has been continually improved over the years, this is frankly the car's weak spot. Many earlier models have had to replace transmissions. On my son's car, at 65,000, the first gear converter may be starting to weaken. Completely changing the transmission out and adding Lubegard for automatic transmissions fortunately eliminated the problem for now. If you get an automatic transmission, at least drain and replace the fluids every 15,000 miles. I would also recommend adding Lubegard. The manual transmissions are a bit notchy, but extremely reliable. My mechanic adds Lubegard to these also. The manual increases power, is very fun to drive. My Mechanic purchases manuals over automatics also.

Safety. The 626 has generally done well on safety tests. The newer model should be just as good or better.

Styling: The 2001 is at the end of it's life. But it is very stylish for a Japenese car. The pictures I've seen of the 2003 model are great.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the original SHO motor was Ford from the heads down. i.e. the block, pan, crank, etc....all Ford. Yamaha messaged the heads, valvetrain and intake, etc.

The v8 SHO motor is an 8 cylinder version of the Contour's 2.5 litre v6 Duratec. Again, Yamaha participated in the cyl. head and intake but the basic engine is mostly a stock Ford Duratec with 2 extra cylinders.

So I don't think anyone need fear a v6 engine that is developed by Ford. I'm sure Ford could easily improve on its 4 cylinder motors though.

My brother in law will soon be approaching 110k miles on his 97 v8 SHO. Not one iota of engine or transmission difficulty.

It realy makes sense to have Ford and Mazda co-develop motors. Each has good to offer. And it adds checks and balances in the system. And it should reduce cost and improve qual-i-tay.

So 626 fans, no need to fear, I'm sure the new 626 when it comes out will have good solid motors.
    I used to own a '81 Mustang Ghia with a straight six. Guess they've come a long way.

Still, owners in the Escape Problems forum complain about failures, maybe it's electrical gremlins.

-juice
    I just read through about 300 posts in the Tribute board. Problems? Sure. Different from most models out there? No. My experience with Mazda's is that the 626 is the most troublesome model in the line-up, including the Tribute. Working at several Mazda dealerships, seeing a relatively young 626 on a tow truck is quite common. I sold a 2001 626 ES4 that came back on a tow truck two weeks later with a snapped axle shaft. It only had 420 miles on it.

The two Ford Duratec engines used by Mazda (2.5L and 3.0L) have both proven to be very strong and reliable engines. It would cost entirely too much money for Mazda to develop its own engine for use only in Mazda vehicles that can compete against the Camry and Accord 3.0L engines. The 2.5L, although a wonderful engine, is getting too old and inefficient compared to the competition's new engines. The Duratec engine series is an excellent family of engines and Mazda should, and will, take full advantage of them to save money (of which Mazda has very little) and to keep up with the rapidly advancing competition.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I was looking at the Edmunds info and it states that the 626 ES-V6 requires an automatic to order the ABS. How long has this been in effect? I think this really sucks as a lot of people actually buy the 626 for the fact you can get a V6 with a manual. Anyone else disappointed?
    There are about 100 times as many 626s on the road vs. Tributes. So of course there will be more of them breaking down.

Also, the most common complaint is the Ford tranny.

Nevertheless, my problem isn't that Ford is necessarily unreliable, it's that Mazda loses its identity if they let all their models become Ford clones. So you're buying a Ford with a longer warranty, but that's all.

Now, parts sharing can be done successfully. Look at the Golf and the Audi TT - big differentiation. So hopefully Mazda will take a page from that book.

-juice
    The real problem with the 4cyl auto was that they used common parts but different shift logic. Ford never had much of a prob in their vehicles as it was major slush box. Mazda tried to keep its identity, but the CD4E couldn't handle it. Good thing it's gone for good come '03 and Jatco returns.