Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Ford Crown
Vic/Merc Grand Marquis
topic. Those of you joining
us from that topic are welcome to continue your
discussion. If you're new to this topic, you may
want to follow the above link for additional
archived posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• mikem23mikem23 Member Posts: 2
    As some of you may recall in Intrique II, I bought a new '99 GLS in Artic White. I have been considering buying a bra for it (if Olds makes one) What do you think? Does anyone have one, and if so how does it look. Also, what is the price for one. Also, am I the only one that doesn't like the very small "Oldsmobile" font on the trunk? The '2000 font is much larger and nicer. I am going to order it for mine.
  • mikem23mikem23 Member Posts: 2
    As some of you may recall in Intrique II, I bought a new '99 GLS in Artic White. I have been considering buying a bra for it (if Olds makes one) What do you think? Does anyone have one, and if so how does it look. Also, what is the price for one. Also, am I the only one that doesn't like the very small "Oldsmobile" font on the trunk? The '2000 font is much larger and nicer. I am going to order it for mine.
  • johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    I checked all the Grand Marquis' in the parking lot today...couldn't find a single oldsmobile badge anywhere.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    The first CV that I remember was a 1954 tudor (Ford's spelling) with a chrome band (hence the word "Crown") over the roof at the "B" pillar with the front half of the roof being a fixed-in-place sunroof!

The Marquis name is from the mid-late 60's, with "Grand" moniker, as I remember, appearing about in the mid 70's or later in response to the "Grand" Bonneville from Pontiac.

Dad owned both a 54 Ford Crestline & a 72 Marquis Brougham....Prior to the Marquis the top Merc was the Park Lane.
  • cmdrkencmdrken Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 1997 CV Interceptor. It has 103000 miles on it and has had all the work done to it. it is a Texas county car and seems like it is mint. I'm going to pay about 6000 for it. Does this sound reasonable? Also does anyone know the hp and torque numbers for the interceptor 4.6L? Anyone who has any info to post I would greatly appreciate it.
  • stevem326stevem326 Member Posts: 8
    I might be wrong on this, but I think I remember hearing that both the CV and GM would receive makeovers beginning with the 2002 models (which would be available late in 2001). That's about the time that I'll be buying mine (CV), so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. I'd be willing to bet that some of the regulars in this forum could shed some more light on this rumor.
  • jws5jws5 Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY MAJOR CHANGES PLANEED IN THE DESIGN OF THE CROWN VIC/GRAND MARQUIS FOR 2001
  • cobra27cobra27 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 88 302 that began leaking oil from intake manifold area--found out a small filter under the PVC valve was plugged up.Changed it & all o-k..Anyone step into this one too ???
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I am going to purchase soon, either a Buick LeSabre or Grand Marquis. I guess everybody here would recommend the Grand Marquis. Please give me reasons why I should purchase the Grand Marquis?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    both cars are nice and well built.

the interior quality in the Grand Marquis is a little better. And even if some say the 3800 is a good motor, I know from owning one in my Tbird that the 4.6 v8 Ford is bulletproof. Now I know why law enforcement professionals rave about the CV.

Otherwise it just boils your preference of v6/fwd vs. v8/rwd.

Either way, they are solid cars for decent price.
  • justiceisdeadjusticeisdead Member Posts: 10
    One other thing... If you life in an area with a temperate climate or in a snow area, ordering drivetrain traction control for the Grand Marquis is a must since it's RWD. Trust me... I've driven my '95 Fleetwood in weather my own father wouldn't even drive in, and the traction control works wonders by keeping the car stable during bad road conditions. (Unless, of course, I go in snow above my bumper... Then I'm as stuck as anybody else. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking the traction control is a license to do something stupid like drive faster than you normally would in poor driving conditions.)

If you are planning on doing a little spirited driving in the Grand Marquis should you purchase one, you might also want to consider the ride and handling package. It won't turn it into a Ferrari, but it does firm the ride up a bit (especially around corners) without sacrificing smoothness.

IMHO, even though the Grand Marquis is a better value, I like the styling of the '00 Crown Victoria better...
  • stevem326stevem326 Member Posts: 8
    Don't worry about the old man complex. I'm 37 and will be buying a CV or MGM next year. There are some other people who post here who are the same age as both of us, too. The thing I like about the CV/MGM is the price, ride comfort, and safety rating. Buying a CV/MGM doesn't mean you're an old man. It just means you recognize value in a car when you see it. Enjoy your new Grand Marquis.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    it has the touring package, ABS, Air suspension, leather interior. Or buy the Buick and get a free lifetime subscription to AARP's MODERN MATURITY.
    Don't worry about the "old man complex." I'm only 20, and I drive a behemoth geezermobile '95 Fleetwood. ;-)

Seriously, though... You shouldn't worry about what others think. As Steve said, you're recognizing exceptional value when you see it. If you're like me, you're also looking for practicality... And the Grand Marquis certainly has it due to its ample interior room and cargo space.

Oh, and pay no attention to kinley... He thinks that Lincoln Town Cars should perform like Ferraris... (No offense, kinley. *Smirks*)

He does make a couple valid points, though. I'd insist upon ABS, traction control, and the ride and handling package for the benefit of the rear air suspension. Those improvements will make the GM all the more enjoyable.

One last thing... The Buick rode harder because it's FWD, as opposed to the RWD drivetrain of the Mercury. Let's face it... RWD cars will always ride better than their FWD counterparts. :-)
    How much will the touring package take away from the GM's soft ride. I do not want to add harshness to the ride.
    It shouldn't detract too much from the Grand Marquis ride. In fact, the difference should be barely perceptible. The official Mercury website says the package contains the following:

3.55:1 rear axle ratio (aids in transmission downshifting)

Larger diameter rear stabilizer bar (aids in vehicle stability during agressive cornering or emergency maneuvers)

Goodyear BSW “handling” tires (nothing really special, here, and good if you choose to do without whitewall tires)

Uniquely tuned rear air suspension (must make the ride a little firmer, but still be able to soak up bumps with no fuss)

16” lacy-spoke aluminum wheels

Dual exhaust (ups engine output to 215 h.p. which wouldn't hurt)

So in other words, this package will make the Grand Marquis more stable in quick maneuvers, but the ride should not be harsh. In fact, it should still be as soft as you experienced it when you test drove that other GM. If in doubt, just ask the Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer to test drive one with the ride and handling package, and see for yourself if you would rather do without it.

At the very least, though, order it with the rear air suspension... It not only keeps the tail from dragging, but accounts for the smooth ride without the car pitching and rolling all over the place.

I wish they married Ford's superb rear air suspension to my Cadillac. You'd then have the ultimate luxo barge. :-)
  • northcarolinanorthcarolina Member Posts: 1
    I'm a volunteer voc-ed teacher at an inner-city children's home. Because the home is in a very dangerous neighborhood, I'd like to get a car that looks a lot like a cop car. (Pics of our shop work are at:
    http://www4.ncsu.edu/eos/users/j/jjyuill/www/Personal/agape.htm)

Any advice on purchasing such a CV would be most appreciated. Additional info:

1. The state auction for cop-cars is nearby. They have '96 CV's with 95k miles. Those with 75k miles have a minimum bid of $8,200. Would it be better to get a non-police CV that looks like a police CV? I can spend $7k to $11k.

2. How many miles can you get out of a CV, before it's more economical to replace it? Once over 100k miles, are the maintenance costs high?

3. We need to haul kids between the home and our shop. How many kids fit in a CV?

4. We need to haul plywood using a small trailer. Is the CV ok with trailers?

Again, any advice most appreciated!

Jim
    jimyuill@pobox.com
  • gchernya1gchernya1 Member Posts: 43
    You sure will be better off with privetly owned car, just make sure, miles on odometer correct and car don't have any maigor hidden problems.
  • seanyseany Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a safe car. I checked out the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and both get 5 stars frontal and 4 stars side impact.

I want a car with side air bags. The government doesn't check for head injuries in their tests, so the 4 star side impact results apply only to pelvic and thoracic injuries. The test dummies head could fly off, and the Crown Vic would still get 4 stars for side impact.

I thought I had the answer when I looked at the Lincoln Town Car. It is supposedly built on the same chassis as the Crown Vic. The government gives the Town Car 4 stars frontal and 4 stars side impact. How can that be?

I would think the Town Car would get the same 5 star rating for the frontal test, and at least improve on the side impact test due to the side air bags.
  • btroybtroy Member Posts: 92
    Sean, I noticed that, too. These cars and the Towncar all share the same "platform", but I guess that doesn't mean the Towncar has the same frame or crush dynamics. It primarily means they have the same engine and transmission and probably a hundred other components. Or maybe it's just the difference in weight that changes the equation.

If you want a car with side head air bags, excellent crash test results and for it also to be affordable-- good luck. I've looked, too and I can't come up with a good choice without jumping up another $10k+ in price over the CV. Personally, I'm hoping that the next Crown Vic redesign will bring all that together. Meanwhile, the only thing that even comes close is a Ford Taurus. Or you could wear a helmet :)

On the other hand, for the price of a Towncar, maybe you are in price range of a Volvo. You might want to check out the S70 or S80.
  • seanyseany Member Posts: 3
    To btroy:

I've looked at both the Saab 9-5 and the Volvo S-80. I think these are probably the safest sedans on the road. I would buy one today if I could get the seat belts to fit properly. The seat belts in both these cars fit way up around my neck, and I can't adjust them.

I test drove the Lexus LS-400. The seat belts are adjustable and the car drives like a dream. The Lexus has a fairly good safety rating, but it's too expensive for me.

I like the BMW 528i, but I feel cramped in it.

I was hoping Ford would add more safety equipment to the Crown Vic. I would love it if they would add side air bags, and Volvo S-80 seats.
    Sean, you hit the nail on the head. That would make a great package and put the CV in direct competition with several of the world's finest automobiles. I hope Ford is listening. I've been hoping that Ford would add to the CV all the safety features they put in the 2000 Taurus (side air bags with head protection, dual-stage air bags, belt pretensioners and force-limiters, etc), but I never thought of incorporating the Ford-owned Volvo WHIPS seat. That package would get a lot of attention and be almost unbeatable at any price.

The only reason I can think of for not doing that is maybe Ford doesn't want to invest in boosting sales of the CV due to the CAFE restrictions. I think they would really rather sell the Focus, Taurus and Trukasaurus Gigantus.
  • weltronweltron Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I am new to this forum. I took the time to read all the entries (it took awhile, but was worth it) I recently purchased a 95 GM LS with 38,000 miles on it.The car is electric currant red metallic with what I would call dark maroon leather interior. I looked at many used Crown vics and many GM and this was the only one I seen with this combo and just fell in love with it. It also had everything digital (which is what I wanted) and the look of all the electronics against all that maroon and the faux wood trim was just it for me. I started reading the forums before and after I purchased the car. I did find this sight and a couple others after I bought the car. The concerns I have are what I have been reading here about early Ford 4.6 burning oil usually around 90,000 miles. I have not seen any one say if Ford corrected this problem, When they did, is mine one of the early ones, and what was the problem. I would have to sell mine at 85,000 miles if this is the case. Then I have read that the 4.6 is bulletproof alot. So I am getting confused as to what to believe or think. I also have read about the tranny shudder problem, so I had my fluid changed at Lincoln Mercury including the torque converter after I bought the car. I also read in another forum that you should keep the RPM's down because of the torque converter ballooning because it is to big and to thin. Sorry to ramble on, but I am a little concerned. Thanks. Kevin P.S. I forgot to say that after I bought the car I had the silent exhaust removed and had a catback system installed with some turbo mufflers to give it some sound. I did not want the sound of my old 400 small block Nova made, but some sound out of that V8. If you have not done this mod yet DO IT!! You will not be sorry, the sound this V8 makes is great. I am 37 and haul 3 kids and the wife around and can still be a kid when I want to be. (HA HA)
    I had a 95 GM and 131,000 miles on it without burning one drop of oil. The 4.6 is bulletproof. The tranny shudder was a minor problem, I just put up with it. I am taking delivery of a new (spruce green) GM this Saturday. The tranny shudder has been fixed on the 2000's and the engine is still bulletproof.
  • cebuanocebuano Member Posts: 24
    That's good news since I'll be taking delivery on my 2000 CV tomorrow. What did they do to correct the problem?
    Hearing about your 95 GM makes me feel better. What oil did you use? When did the shudder show itself? I have not felt it as of yet.
    Hi Weltron, thanks for your post and I hope you are enjoying your new cherry GM. As far as your advice to put on the loud mufflers, I think I'll pass. I honestly don't understand why modifying your car to make *more* noise could ever be a good thing. I know a lot of people do it, especially to Harleys, but take it from me: nobody is impressed by your noisy car (especially the neighbor who is trying to sleep when you come in late or leave early in the morning and can't resist gunning it a few times). Just thought you should know.
    Btroy, I decided to put the duals on because the car had stock single exhaust. This let the car finally breath and exhale. The guy who did mine is a good friend with his own shop. Before I allowed him to start there was a definite understanding I wanted the lowest noise possible without being silent. When I picked up the car it had the perfect sound. On the highway or driving normal it is almost silent. Giving decent throttle produces a nice mellow tone. The last thing I would want to do is wake somebody up.
    Cebuano, I am not sure what Ford did to correct the shudder problem. I read several reviews recently of the GM and both reviews indicated that the shudder problem had been corrected. I also test drove several GM recently and did not notice the problem. I am taking delivery tomorrow of a 2000 GM and the dealer insured me that Ford has corrected the shudder problem.
    Weltron, I always used run of the mill 5w 30 oil in my 95 GM. I felt the shudder in my 95 GM when I was maintaining speeds of between 40 to 45 mph. I never experimented with different transmission fluids, maybe I should have.
    Weltron, I always used run of the mill 5w 30 oil in my 95 GM. I felt the shudder in my 95 GM when I was maintaining speeds of between 40 to 45 mph. I never experimented with different transmission fluids, maybe I should have.
  • kfitzgeraldkfitzgerald Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I just read this thread, and wanted to chime in. I own a '95 CV loaded w/all options. I have had it since 1 yr old with 23K miles, and it just turned 125K miles. I run 10w40 most of the year, (in New England) and did the same w/ my '92 Towncar w/same engine. The 92 TC was sold to my brother w/133K miles, and now is over 160K miles on orig engine. It needed tranny overhaul at 140K miles. My mechanic found that 5w30 caused the Ford cruisers he serviced to burn/use one Qt+ per change, so he switched to 10w40 many yrs ago. Both engines have performed flawlessly, on 10W40 and sound like new cars. Mine still uses no oil, but my brother now sees about 1 Qt per 3K miles. On the subject of tranny shudder, it happened on 95 CV during shifting (3nd to 3rd gear?) at around 30-35 MPH, much like the TSB described. I complained so often to Dlrship that they replaced the torque convertor at 35,900 miles just before warranty ran out. That was 90K miles ago. I do pay a little more (at local Trans. shop) for full tranny drain incl Torque convertor when I have tranny oil and filter done every 25-30K miles, and so far the 2nd torque converter has not exhibited what orig one did. I have loved both cars, but do find the '95's brakes to be poor when running at highway speed and forced to make a quick stop. In rain, it is worse, as rotors need about 3-4 seconds of brake application to dry off enough to even start slowing down the car. I do mostly highway driving 120 miles/day 4 days per week, and have to replace front brakes and turn (or replace) rotors every 30-35K miles. Usually there is still lots of pad, but everything is glazed so badly, there is no stopping power. The only other complaint I have is the airbag system, which pops an error light about once per year or so. Usually, it is fixed for about $150, but I was told today when latest one was diagnosed that the MONITOR needed replacing. Part is $252 and they say $150 in labor. This car has had 3-4 occurences of the Air bag light, and my 92 TC had similar problems w/ 3-4 over 130K miles. Last comment is a suggestion. I had to pay Dlrship to replace sparkplug wiring sets once on each car. The parts were appx $165 (and no aftermarket alternative at the time this happened) and labor another $80, so I told them I wanted the (7 good) old wires. Think about it $245 for one bad sparkplug wire... The old ones were given to my brother when he bought the 92 TC, and he now has only 1-2 left, and they are not long enough for the ones that usually fail... KEEP your old wires if you get this repair!
  • themirror1themirror1 Member Posts: 1
    Okay guys, let's see if you can help me. What is the transmission model designation number for 1998 LX Crown Vics? I'm musing over a possible 1999 Mustang GT engine-transmission transplant into the Vic. If you could dredge up the Mustang transmission model number as well, that would be a great plus. The swap looks fairly doable, except the battery must be relocated on the Vic and a custom snorkel intake would have to be used with the new engine. I haven't delved into the necessary electronics issues, but they should be solvable. If there's a website out there super hardcore specs on these cars, throw me the link. Thanks!
  • jangolfjangolf Member Posts: 2
    We own a 93 MGM and thinking about buying 2000 because it's a great travel car. Wondered about the shudder and had tran service at the dealer. They never mentioned it was a common thing. Glad to hear it's not a big deal - REALLY glad to hear it's been corrected for 2000. Picked up other good hints from reading comments. Thanks!
  • jshaw5jshaw5 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 92gm. bURNING OIL CONSTANTLY. IE FROM A COMPLETE STOP LARGE PLUME OF SMOKE. ENGINE HAS 199,000 MILES ON IT. TRANNY HAS BEEN DONE. CAN IT BE I MIGHT BE LOOKING AT AN ENGINE JOB, OR WOULD CHANGING OIL GRADE HELP WITH BURNING ISSUE. I LIKE THE CAR, BUT DON'T WANT TO INVEST IN MAJOR ENGINE OVERHAUL. CURRENTLY USING 10/30 PENZOIL. HELP.
  • swong2swong2 Member Posts: 2
    You've obviously gotten your money worth out of your ride! Time to consider a newer ride or else rebuilding the engine. All things considered for a ride with 199k on the odometer it's time to retire the ride!
    Sounds like you need a valve job or a ring job or both. Your problem is so severe that changing the oil grade will not help. Shop around, maybe you can find a shop that will do it for a reasonable price. Like swong2, I wouldn't want to invest much $ into a car with that age and mileage, but if the rest of the car is in good shape and you like it, it may be worth it to you. Could you buy a better car for the price of the repair?
  • glenns2glenns2 Member Posts: 3
    Im thinking about buying a '95 crown vic, w/71k miles forest green & in seemingly perfect condition. anyone have any suggestions or comments?
    anyone on this page?
  • estatewagonestatewagon Member Posts: 3
    Regarding the comment on the crash safety and shared platforms of the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Town Car, the platforms were around essentially unchanged from their '79 downsizing to 1997. It's called the Panther platform, although that's not really known by anyone. Apparently, the 1979 platform was not all new; anybody who has noticed that '72-'76 Torino 2-doors' track and wheelbase were within spitting distance of the current CV/GM and '72-'76 Torino 4-doors' likewise with the Town Car should be somewhat suspicious. There's a neat piece to back this up at this website. Look at the handling section.
    http://members.aol.com/tocool4u26/ranchero.htm

Can anyone else confirm this? It's really bothering me. Thanks,

Steve
    Im thinking of buying a '95 crown vic. It has 71k miles & appears to be in perfect condition. anyone have any comments or suggestions about these cars?
    Unfortunately, I haven't owned a Ford full-size, so anything I could tell you about them you probably already know. I have driven them, and I like the way they ride and I thought the handling was perfectly O.K. for anything anyone would need. Power delivery was kind of awkward, though.
    Unfortunately, I haven't owned a Ford full-size, so anything I could tell you about them you probably already know. I have driven them, and I like the way they ride and I thought the handling was perfectly O.K. for anything anyone would need. Power delivery was kind of awkward, though.
  • cebuanocebuano Member Posts: 24
    Have any of you with a late model CV/GM with analog gages noticed this?....

I picked up my new 2000 CV last Friday. Everything works great except for one minor annoyance. During night driving the trip odometer on the lower half of my speedometer is much brighter than the rest of the speedometer area. If I dim the cluster lighting enough to tame the brightness of the trip odometer, the speedometer and other gages are too dark. The light source is coming from an area below the trip odometer and it seems that there must be a light deflector missing or mispositioned. Any similar observations out there?
    Cebuano, I picked up my new 2000 GM last Saturday and noticed the brightness of the trip odometer while driving on a cloudy rainy day with lights on. The brightness did not bother me, however, it was only cloudy and not dark outside. I noticed that shortly after I start my GM and put it in drive, I hear a groaning sound that last about two seconds. Do you have this sound on your CV, and if so do you know what it is. I do not have the air suspension, so I thought it might have something to do with the traction control.
    Cebuano, I picked up my new 2000 GM last Saturday and noticed the brightness of the trip odometer while driving on a cloudy rainy day with lights on. The brightness did not bother me, however, it was only cloudy and not dark outside. I noticed that shortly after I start my GM and put it in drive, I hear a groaning sound that last about two seconds. Do you have this sound on your CV, and if so do you know what it is? I do not have the air suspension, so I thought it might have something to do with the traction control.
  • bdempsey2bdempsey2 Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 92 crown vic on my 30th birthday. i just bought my wife a new one (cv) so now this one is all mine. it has 62,000 miles on it and is mint. i would love to upgrade the car to a police interceptor package. i've all the time in the world to do it so no job is really too big. chip,suspension, exhaust,tires,brakes, whatever it takes. i never have or will hot rod it, but i would love to have the feel of the interceptor.can anyone steer me in the right direction for information to do this? i can't find anything on the internet.
    replace the socalled non replaceable crank case separator filter located under the pcv valve down in the intake manifold.if it stops up the crank case pressure will increase and blow the rear seal of the engine (transmission has to come out to replace it, a $300 job). a homemade tool can be fabricated to get the metal mesh filter out.
    cut the bottom piece off(you'll end up with about a 12 inch long straight piece). at one end turn it up at a right angle("L" shape). with this tool you can remove and install the filter. you'll see
    where to use the hook part of the tool(under one of the three bent over tabs of the little filter).
    use a coat hanger to make the tool.
    Golfnut it is the traction control doing a self test. On my 95 GM it performs this test at approx. 13 miles an hour after you first start the car and not again until you turn it off and restart it. I also heard this noise and thought what the hell is that. It wasn't until I received the shop manual that I could find out what it was. It is the pump running that you hear.