Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• lakeg41lakeg41 Member Posts: 9
    I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM W/ MY 2000 NEON. I HAD THE ENGINE COMPUTER CHANGED BECAUSE THE 1 THAT WAS IN THERE WAS A CALIFORNIA MODEL(I RECENTLY PURCHASED THE CAR) & IT TRIGGERED THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FOR A PART THAT ONLY EXISTED ON THE CAL. VERSION. NEEDLESS TO SAY I ENDED UP BUYING THE CORRECT COMPUTER FOR THE CAR . THE FIRST ONE FRIED IN LESS THAN 200 MILES ,BUT IT WAS WITH ASSORTED LIGHTS,NO SPEEDO, CHECK ENGINE ,&NO ODOMETER,BUT THE CAR RAN FINE .THIS WAS PROMPTLY CHANGED BY THE DEALER AT NO CHARGE.NOW AT ROUGHLY 5000 MILES AFTER INSTALL I HAVE HESITATION , STALLING AND NOW NO START.YOU TURN THE KEY AND NOTHING HAPPENS.THE DASH AND GAUGES ACTIVATE BUT THAT'S IT.THE WORST PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE ONLY CODE THAT COMES UP IS THAT THE BATTERY WAS DISCONNECTED IN THE LAST 50 STARTS.NOW THE CODE DOESN'T COME AT ALL AND A SCAN TOOL CAN'T EVEN GET A RESPONSE FROM FROM THE VEHICLE.THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT NEVER DID COME ON. ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE OUT THERE ????????
  • lakeg41lakeg41 Member Posts: 9
    IS YOUR SPARE TIRE WHEEL WELL DRY?I HAD A FLOOD IN MY WHEEL WELL EVERY TIME IT RAINED.THE PARTS GUY AT DODGE TOLD ME A COMMON PROBLEM IS THE GASKET AROUND THE REAR LIGHTS.PULL THE BACK LIGHTS AND COAT CONTACT POINTS WITH RTV AND YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO.THIS WORKED GREAT FOR ME.NO LEAKS AT ALL !!
  • marriedman1marriedman1 Member Posts: 1
    :sick: hi i just bought my 95 neon back in june 06 it was running great great till recently its been drinking oil like crazy the light dont never come on when u drive it on the passenger side near the wheel u hear a real bad :sick: squealing noise which get worse when it rains the wheel wont turn at all its like it locks up then the low beam lights went out we only have high i changed them and it got worse they both went out then and sence then the car had been missing real bad and not picking up its power it acts like its going to die i mean its bad also i tried to put a cd player in and nothing works i changed fuses and all still nothing what could be wrong here with all this? im thinking wires for the cd player and the rest maybe plugs,censor,alternator,battery, i dont know what your solution/
  • nomad57nomad57 Member Posts: 1
    i am to having the same problem, you turn the key to start the car and its like the starter is not getting the anything, everything is working but the stater. it has comes and goes it has happen 4 time in the past year so any help on this would be great....
  • baddogsbaddogs Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Neon that we bought for our son to drive. With the recent rains the passenger floor board is wet. Saw your post sounds familiar to our problem. By any chance did you figure out what the problem is? We have had it in the shop and it is not the heater core, the shop said they thought the windshield was leaking so we had that looked at and we were told it is fine. We dont know which way to turn now. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • johnjf1johnjf1 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    Have a 97 dodge neon with factory alarm and remote start. how would I disable the alarm so I don't need to use the remote control device anymore? thanks. btw, it has no toggle switch under the dash.
  • jollyroger2jollyroger2 Member Posts: 1
    After driving through a flooded street in my 2000 Dodge Neon, my car would not stay running - it would start, and then die. I replaced the battery, same problem. Replaced the alternator, ran for 10 minutes or so, then died. Any thoughts? I need to get to work on Monday!
  • arcadefreak36arcadefreak36 Member Posts: 49
    Plugs and Wires for starters. How old are your wires?
  • tomstartomstar Member Posts: 5
    I have a similar problem with my grandaughters neon except the right rear wheel locks. In searching the forums, someone said there is a problem with the self adjusters for the rear brakes. The person said nothing about a fix except that when it happens, remove the wheel and tap on the drum with a hammer, releasing the brakes.

Of course that is not a fix.

Any luck with your problem?
  • babyface785babyface785 Member Posts: 1
    hey there i have been haveing the same promblem with my 2000 neon and i also have a system in my car but when i took it to the shop they told me that i needed to have a part of my computer system in the engine replaced so i would have that looked at
  • enzone33enzone33 Member Posts: 1
    HOw is the dash removed? Are there any crucial steps in this process? My car is doing the same thing. Can a repair shop fix it or would they just order a new instrument panel?
  • zer0o7zer0o7 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a diagram or pics of all a/c hoses on a 1999 Dodge Neon? I recharged the a/c yesterday and today I think one of the hoses failed. Big cloud of a/c coolant came from under the hood with a hissing sound. Where ever the hose failed ( if it was the hose ) was under alot of pressure, pretty sure it wasnt the compressor but I cant find where or which hose or part failed. Can anyone help me? I have the Haynes automotive book for it but it only shows how to recharge the a/c and change the compressor.
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    My Neon is an '03 5 speed. It has just over 71,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with it until now. A few days ago I filled up at the Exxon station, and noticed right after that the engine seemed to be running a little rough. It is steadily getting worse, and I noticed when I am starting out in 1st it sputters and seems like it wants to quit running til I give it a little gas and once on the road it runs fine. I also noticed some strange noise coming from the engine compartment toward the front of the car that sounds like a hissing sound. It's not a constant hissing though. It starts and stops almost in a way like it's trying to suck for something that is not there. There is also a strong odor of gas coming into the car intermittently, usually when it is running rough and I push the gas pedal in to get it to run more smoothly. I put in a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner but so far it's not getting any better. The engine light has not came on since this began. Any input as to what could be the problem would be helpful. :confuse:
  • lt211lt211 Member Posts: 1
    I'm attempting to replace the water pump on a 97 2.0 dohc. I can't get the lower pulley off the engine to remove the timing belt cover. Any suggestions? my gear puller isn't doing the trick. Additionally, I'll need some info on adjusting the alternator belt, I ended up just cutting it off, I couldn't get to the adjusting bolt.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Calling it a lemon would be a fantastic compliment to it!

I'd be embellishing for the good if I called it only a :lemon: :sick:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I have been given an estimate to replace the struts on my 97 Plymouth Neon (744.21) which includes an alignment and am looking for any feedback as to whether the price is reasonable or not.
    The question is, is that for all four struts? The struts in the front or the struts in the rear? That price for all four is a fair price. I had the rears done on my 99 Dodge Neon and that went for $550 including the mounts.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Yes, that is for all 4 struts.
    Then I say go for it. Your car will have better handling.
  • neon_guy_97neon_guy_97 Member Posts: 2
    Hey my names Greg proud owner of a 1997 plymouth neon 5 speed what you need to do is go to wal*mart and buy an a/c recharger it comes in a can leave the car off while you do this regaurdless if it tells you to keep it running or not make sure you have someone with you while you do this when it says its charged stay under the hood and have someone turn the car on and turn the a/c on and try to figure out the hose it is leaking from when you find it out take it to the dealer and have them get you that hose or if you are a "do it yourself" kind of guy take the hose off yourself and bring it to your local parts store and hae them ring you up a new one also look underneath the car there are a few hoses under the car if you didnt already know about them hope this helps out atleast a little bit
  • justus3justus3 Member Posts: 21
    This is my final post to this forum as I am no longer the owner of my '03 Neon. I traded it in for a '07 Chevy Cobalt. The Neon was a decent enough car for a little bit, but as more and more problems began to surface with it, I decided it was time to get rid of it. The trunk began to leak water every time it rained and filled my spare tire compartment and floorboards with water, it all at once started running like crap (refer to a past post)and overall I was just sick of it. Sad to say, but I don't think I will be buying a Dodge again anytime soon. Never had problems with any other cars like I did with the Neon. Good luck to all you remaining Neon owners.
  • alkijimalkijim Member Posts: 6
    Ran into similar problem on my nephew's '95. No turn signals. No brake lights. Replaced brake light switch. Cured both problems. Good Luck.
  • trinigaltrinigal Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2000 plymouth Neon for 2 years now. Bought it with 72,000 miles. It's now at 97,000 miles. The problem started a year ago, the fuse that controls the back-up lights and rear defroster blew and kept on blowing.(10amp) Replaced it one time to many. (I have packets of fuses just laying around in my car). In the winter I had to replace the fuse just to defrost the back windshield, and then it would blow after I put the car in gear.

The recent problem started this Sat.8/4/07.

The fuse for the the turn signal blew.(15amp) I replaced it several times since then, but it still doesn't work. The signals would work for 1-3 mins, then blow again. (Yet again I have to carry packets of fuses in my car).

I have dealt without having any back-up lights for a year but not having any turning signal, is ridiculous. I just can't deal with that. I have tried everything to get it to work, but have not had any luck. If there is anyone out there that can give me ANY advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    The best advice I can give you is to have someone "steal" your vehicle and total it. Or have someone burn it to the ground :P .

As trust me on this, fuse/electrical problems are the most minor problems you will have to deal with on your Neon.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • lilbeelilbee Member Posts: 3
    I just brought a 200 neon with a stock motor. a cold air k&n intake and 2inch exhaust with two mufflers came on the car. it get 29mpg, runs great after 30mph. but 0-30 its a dog, no go! anybody have any ideas how to fix this. thanks
    has anyone tried one of the electric superchargers? if so did it really help? they look like a heater blower motor!
  • drbufferdrbuffer Member Posts: 1
    Picked up A 2000 Neon with 111,000 miles for $200.00. The engine had a blown head gasket. Dropped the engine out, put it on a stand and rebuilt for about $900.00, including machine work and parts. It runs great, 3 spd Auto, blows 40* air cond at idle, engine temp stays right in the middle of the gage. Interior and body are in like new condition, new tires, alloy wheels, moon roof, PW,PS, cruise. Just wanted folks out there to know that not everyone is dissatisfied or having problems with their Neon!!!!!!
    The key is to have the head milled before installation and don't let the dealer mechanics near it and it will probably will last a long time.
  • neon04neon04 Member Posts: 2
    04 neon with fog lights how to i install them the correct way let me no
  • kent747kent747 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same setup as you and the same problem. Mine is an automatic and is a "dog" from 0-30 mph, but runs great from 30+ mph. I replaced the plugs, plug wires, and cleaned the throtle body which helped a little bit but did not fix the problem. Did you resolve the problem yet ? If so, let me know.

thx
    kent747
  • ddbeachddbeach Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Sport and, although it has bugs, it is one of the most fun to drive cars I've ever owned (I have a manual though). I get about 37 overall and 40 on the highway. Shifting has its advantages (although if you live in a metro area don't even bother). I'm hoping to work it up to 50 mpg with mods.
    no not fixed yet! did the same things as you did. must be the computer!!
  • manda626manda626 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 neon...when i am driving there is a high pitched squeak near the front passenger side tire, not just when i break. I have read on here about maybe the breaks needing to be replaced however i just had the car inspected and they said that the breaks were fine...any other ideas?

also...i too have the rediculous "not turning off dome light" issue..i have replaced the door jamb switch which made the "door fuse" stop blinking, and now it still wont go off and it just blinks fuse...i have checked all the fuses inside and under the hood and nothing is blown..PLEASE HELP ME!
  • vandenbroekvandenbroek Member Posts: 1
    my daughters 1996 doge neon has been a nightmare help.... i think its the computor....
  • june_clemonsjune_clemons Member Posts: 8
    Okay, What is going on with your daughters car??????? I had the same problem with my car and recently got it fixed. Also I do have a computor for a dodge neon here is my e-mail june_clemons200412@yahoo.com ..
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Our 96 Neon has 196,000 miles on it. Runs good and still gets up to 31 mpg. But this last fall the squirrels made a nest under the hood near the battery. The curse control vacume lines were ate up in several places. It can't be traced how they went. Also the 12 volt outlet won't work and the radio, and when someone opens the back doors with the engine on the turn signal flasher makes a noise like the turn signal is on. The local dealer says it will take several hours plus parts. The dealer Service manager says perhaps $200. to $400. to fix.
    I can do the work if I had some prints on the Cruse and electrical. Can any one help me? Any one want about a engine compartment full of acorns?
  • chelo857chelo857 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there I have a dodge neon 2001. and I need some help from you guys. looks like I have a electrical problem In think so this is the reason why im here. This is the problem everytime I start my car all the lights on my dash come on ( engine light, oil, brake battery ) even the gas gauge goes crazy, but when I put the lights on the engine died. Some body can please tell me more or less what is the problem or any ideas. I really need to fix this because is my only car and I really like my car.
    Im gonna wait for some answers, this is my emails too.
    thanks, Marcelo
    www.jmarcelo1970@yahoo.com or jmarcelo1970@msn.com :confuse:
    I am no expert, so all I can do is tell you what we did for most of the symptoms you have. The instrument cluster went bad in our 1996 Neon and acted as you have stated. We has the Chrysler Service Contracr and it was taken care of that way.
    The 96 Neon has 196,000 miles on it and still runs well !
    Hope this helps.

farout
  • thor17thor17 Member Posts: 7
    Ive been looking into getting new headlights for my car. the ones theat ive benn looking at are projector headlights. i can only find them for dodge neon's. will this fit in to my car?
  • blackdayzblackdayz Member Posts: 16
    I was wondering if anyone can tell some reasons that the check engine light is on. I recently had to wire the cooling fans into the fuse box and replace thermostat and now the check engine light comes on. I pulled the positive battery cable off and it resets and stays off for a few days.The cars runs fine but leaks oil badly.
  • bigblahbigblah Member Posts: 2
    Im going to install 12" 700 watts subwoofers in my 2001 plymouth neon...is this a good idea...can the neon handle it..some people have told me to get some 10" instead of the 12"?!?!?!
  • bigblahbigblah Member Posts: 2
    Im going to install 12" 700 watts subwoofers in my 2001 plymouth neon...is this a good idea...can the neon handle it..some people have told me to get some 10" instead of the 12"?!?!?!
    Everytime you remove the battery cable the check engine light will come on. -Rick
  • akjefferyakjeffery Member Posts: 9
    Hey I have replaced my sensor to the speedometer and the instrument panel and all the gauges work but the speedometer! Does any oine have any suggestions.
  • hotwheels1hotwheels1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 96 Neon and the Speedometer will work most of the time. It is intermittent, all of a sudden it goes back to zero, then a few minutes later it will register the speed I am traveling. Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem??
    I even does it with the cruise control on. WEIRD!! :sick:
    Our 96 Dodge Neon, had this happen at about 95,000 miles and again at 108,000 and the dealer replaced the instrument cluster with a factory rebuilt, and when that one did the same thing they put in another one. Now at 196,400 miles it has not ever happened again. That's what our problem was, maybe that;\'s your's too?

farout
  • jlt8030jlt8030 Member Posts: 1
    Farout, I have had the same problem..... instrument cluster sometimes works, most of the time the Speedo is non-functional (also means the Odometer / Trip Odometer are not working). I have removed and re-seated the connectors and still no luck.

Have been calling to local salvage yards and they are out of stock (only a 96 Neon cluster without Tac will work according to the repair guides - cannot use other model years). The Gas and Temp gauges work fine.

Am ready to call the dealer for the part but was curious about the parts cost.... if it is more than a $200 bucks, I may be better off getting a portable in car navigation system for the same price. One of it's features is a speedo display.

Your thoughts?
  • akjefferyakjeffery Member Posts: 9
    Hello Farout,
    I acquired my instrument panel at spaldings auto parts in Spokane Washington for around 80 dollars. That was not the end of my problem. The wiring harness fried so I had to replace that. My old instrument panel works. So you might want to have the harness looked at. :shades:
    My cluster was replaced under Warranty at 104,000 miles and it has never given me any more trouble. The next big thing that was rather expensive was the air bag controller. That went out at about 170,000 miles. We now have 196,000 miles on the Neon and we are trying to sell it for $1,500. after we have put $4,500. into it. We have a financial need, and we don't really need two vehicles.

farout
  • fmanfman Member Posts: 1
    I own a Plymouth Neon 2000 and I'm trying to buy seat covers for it on eBay, but most of the products are sold under Dodge Neon. I would like to know if the dimensions are different for both cars.
  • thor17thor17 Member Posts: 7
    I also have a plymouth neon and there is no difference in the seat covers. 2000 and 2001 the dodge and plymouth neon are the exact same parts.