Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I saw the following post in the Buick Regal forum. Did anyone else read the R & T article?

"From Road & Track Oct'01
    Black Stock Regal GNX S.C. 300-bhp
    hood has a power dome...looks much like current grandprix??? With 18" Wheels...is this possible???
    I think this car should be called GSX not GNX!!!
    Here's what I don't understand...
    Regal's sister car Grand Prix will become G8. A 5.7 V-8 @ 350-HP with VERSATRACK all wheel drive...WOW!!! With 19"(255/40ZR-19) tires...is this possible???
    Why can't the next generation GN have this package???"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    tsjay is right - there is a certain amount of dealer profit built into these warranties so they are negotiable. A $1500 warranty could easily become $1000-$1200. I know that we've been offered a GM extended warranty to 5/60 (instead of 3/36) for our '00 Bonneville at the equivalent of roughly $US950. The problems is that the kind of mileage we do (about 20k miles p.a.), that's going to buy me piece of mind for only 16 months.

So MY question becomes not "are my repairs likely to significantly exceed $950?" but "are my repairs covered by warranty which would occur in that 16 month period likely to significantly exceed $950?" Let's just say that I'm not prepared to pay $60/mo. on the off-chance that something bad is going to befall the car.

Besides, we can purchase the extended warranty at any time before the factory warranty expires (this probably applies in the States as well - you might want to check it out). So if the car turns out to be "questionable" two years from now, we can change our minds and extend the warranty (& risk a warranty price increase....)
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    I plan on getting an extended warranty for my 2000 GTP. It makes sense to me. I will be going 3rd party via Warranty Gold. The thing about GM's own extended warranty is it doesn't extend from the time you purchase the warranty, only when you purchased the car. Warranty gold has a diamond plan that will cover you up to 7 years, 100,000 miles at the time of warranty purchase.

Given some of the major complaints with the GTP with people who have owned them more than 3 years (alternator, window motors, steering rack) it will give me more peace of mind knowing I'll be covered in the event that happens to me.

I've owned a number of cars, both Japanese and Domestic, and *ALL* of them needed some sort of major repair during their lives. So the question is, do you want to bet that the repair is under the $1200 or so dollars an extended warranty will cost you? I'm not.
  • acuraowneracuraowner Member Posts: 57
    This is a car GM should be proud of. I had the luxury of renting a 2000 Grand Prix SE with the 3.8 V6. It was a excellent car.

I only had 2 gripes.

1. The acceleration didnt really meet up to my expectations. It really seemed to lose steam up in the higher end but the low end grunt was great.

2. The brake pedal sits up too high. I had to lift my foot to get to the pedal. I am used to my integra where I can just shift my foot over to the brake.

There were a few other quirks that I attributed more to the high altitude (Lake Tahoe) then the car. The performance sucked driving through the mountains. The other problem I had was just unexplained stalling. Twice when I was just stopped the car just stalled without warning.

Other then the above the car was perfect. It was comfortable, quiet and it felt really solid. Once I got back home I actually started looking into getting a Grand Prix. They are very value priced and the resale is great.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    I have the Warranty Gold police for my 98 Malibu. Had experience with replacing intake manifold gasket. They paid $550 without objecting.

However, after experiencing the delays and inconveniences of the 3-rd party warranty, my wife and I decided against buying it for our new car, 2000 Regal. Not only Warranty Gold, but any warranty. We even are discussing dropping the current one; did not do it mostly for lack of time...

""Warranty Gold" Claims" Sep 13, 2001 10:18am
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    Did any of you know that there is a 7 year 70k mile warranty on the supercharger. At least there is on the Regal so I don't see why there wouldn't be on the Grand Prix.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Numerous people over on the Aurora board have had problems with Warranty Gold (or, more specifically, their Warranty Administrator) authorizing repairs in a timely manner. For this reason, I went with 1Source for the warranty on my Aurora.

Don't EVER buy the extended warranty from the dealer. = RIPOFF (>50% markup). Before your factory warranty expires (i.e. hopefully a couple of years down the road), you can buy an extended one from a (reputable) third-party warranty company, for still much less than what the dealer wants to charge up front. And, as someone said, you'll then have a couple of years of repair history to demonstrate how reliable your car is, and decide if you want to do it.

I got the warranty on the Aurora because it does have some chronic issues. Plus, being a luxury V-8, it has much more stuff on it/things to go wrong than most cars. Whether or not we get a warranty on my wife's new white 75th Anniversary GTP, we'll decide in a couple of years...

Hope this helps someone,

--Robert
    Found this a while back. Some of you might be interested in using it as wallpaper: 2002 Grand Prix
  • looking25looking25 Member Posts: 19
    I posted this problem at the beginning of August of the outside temp not reading correctly, leading to no air conditioning. I purchased the outside temp sensor from the dealer for $8 and replaced the old one. This unfortunately didn't fix the problem. Still read around 50 degrees on 90+ degree days. Took it to the dealer who couldn't diagnose the problem after 3 hours. They wanted to replace the whole unit - about $600 with labor. My warranty was up and GM offered no assistance, so I said no. Just happen to talk to the salesman that sold me the car when I went to pick it up. He wheeled and dealed with the service manager and offered to order the part for free ($500 +) if I pay an hour labor. So I kinda lucked out.

Just a warning, if you notice this sporadic problem ... take it to the dealer right away before your warranty runs out.

Other than that, no problems! 'knock' 'knock'
    1998 Grand Prix GTP
    34,500 Miles ...
  • lwh3lwh3 Member Posts: 6
    You correctly pointed out that the 40th Anniversary Grand Prix's haven't been made yet. I'm wondering whether you've heard when they're likely to be produced. I saw an ad on p. 134 of the October Road & Track. I'd think Pontiac would want to build the thing soon if they're out there creating demand for it.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Ran into my 40th GP source at the Patriots game on Sunday. He has been keeping in touch with the dealer because he wants to see one first. He says they have now been taking orders from dealers the last two weeks for late October production.
  • ken1776ken1776 Member Posts: 41
    Sorry you had to go to the Patriots game. A few weeks back someone posted about the handling of the Grand Prix in Winter. I own a new G.P. and live in New England and am also interested in an answer to this question. BTW Bledsowmuch is out for at least the next two games.
  • kdstankdstan Member Posts: 17
    How fast is the GTP from 0 to 60? Is is about 6 seconds.
  • mckaguemckague Member Posts: 24
    Most 0-60 times for the (unmodified) gtp are quoted around 6.6-6.7 sec.
  • spin360spin360 Member Posts: 8
    In my experience, I have been very pleased with the handling of this vehicle. Granted, most of the other vehicles I have driven have been mostly RWD, but I have found that the FWD is very forgiving in the winter. In retrospect, I think the handling has made me a little too confident which may not be a good thing. I was expecting worse initially, since I drive a GTP, but the traction control seems to do a good job of controlling wheelspin. My subdivision exits on an incline into a fairly busy road... in the blazer I would have to put it in 4wd just so I could pull out before a car got too close... with the GTP, no problem. The anti-lock has also worked very well. The only improvement I could think of would be AWD (in the future maybe?)...
    We only got our GP GT in May so are looking forward to winter driving. Given that our '00 Bonneville drove like a dream for the duration of last (very snowy) winter, I expect the GP to be as good - if not slightly better. After all, the GP's tires are a tad (okay, only 10mm) narrower.
    check out car-stats.com and post your times there. Mid to upper 6's are posted there - and confirm what I've read elsewhere.
  • streetracerstreetracer Member Posts: 134
    A lot of owners have gotten low to mid sixes, stock. The official number from GM is 6.4. You can also go to www.gp-owners.com. I have also seen low to mid 14s for the quarter, once again stock. My informal testing puts my car at between 6.0 and 6.2, and 1/4 in around 14.4 -14.5. I actually just raced and beat a new BMW M Roadster the other night, in a several highway exchanges between 50MPH and around 120MPH.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I washed my car a couple of days ago and the part where the tire kicks up dirt onto the side of the car on the paint (by the tire well) wouldn't come off. It looked clean while wet but once dried, it was still there. (I washed it a few times and still wouldn't clean off.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it off?

The car's new but I haven't been able to wash it for 3 months due to back problems. I finally couldn't stand the dirt anymore and wen't on and washed it.

Any advice would be helpful. I'd hate to think the paint job in that area has been ruined.

(If anyone knows of any product to use, I'd rather find something in the store than ordering Zaino online.) I don't order online like I used to--find once I get started with online shopping, I start overdoing it and spending LOTS of money that way so have quit shopping online for the most part.
    what's the colour of your GP and what is the colour of the "dirt" - or is it a patterned discoloration like a haze?
    My car color is Dark Bronzemist Metallic.

The dirt is a reddish orange color. After I washed it and it dried, it left an outline of where the dirt was splattered. I guess that would be the same as a patterned discoloration.
    Oh that's right - you're the one with the classy taste in colours. >:)

In the sunlight, try to figure out if there is any residue at all left on your finish (can you feel anything when you run your fingers across it?). If they're mineral deposits, they'll come off with something like a calcium/lime/rust remover. If it's something else, It could be that you might have to use a very fine rubbing compound. I used one on our old Minivan once and it worked like a charm - a year later (when we sold it), the spot still gleamed like the rest of the vehicle.

You might want to go to Edmunds' maintenance and repairs and see if there's a forum there where you'll find some hints or where you could post your plea.
    It looks like it's probably a residue. I washed my car Thursday and there's already fresh dirt splatters so I can't really tell by rubbing my fingers across it. Would it hurt to start out with the calcium/lime/rust remover even if that's not the problem?

The water company drilled these holes in the street where I live to get to a pipe and filled it with gravel until it settles. The gravel will start to wash away after a lot of rain and hence a hole with a muddy puddle. This has been about 6 to 8 weeks ago so I'm going to call them and see the status. I called once before for them to fill in the hole again and they filled it back with gravel. Now they need to fill it up with concrete/asphalt or whatever they use for a permanent solution. It's had plenty of time to settle.

Anyway, that's why the splatters came right back. I usually rinse the splatters off after I go somewhere and need to do that today.

Thanks for your help!
    As long as you rinse it thoroughly off your finish, it should cause a problem. Use a formulation for bathroom tiles - it'll cling to vertical surfaces better. And try a small, inconspicuous spot first - just to be sure that it's not reacting badly with your finish.
    I'll let you know if I manage to get that off my car. I'll probably wait a few days or so before trying.

I wish there were some teenagers living in the neighbor that I could just pay to help me with my car right now but no such luck. These car wash places around town use brushes that are bad for the car.

I'll get it worked out though.

Thanks again!
    Looks like I may have gotten that stuff off the car that wouldn't come off. I was over at my parents today and my dad worked on it. I'm embarrassed to say that I may not have been using enough elbow grease.

My dad said he could hardly see it and that I was being really picky. Well, a car is new for only so long and his eyes aren't what they used to be.

I'm just glad the paint job hasn't been ruined! Next time I wash the car, I'll probably be in a better position to do a better job.
    Has anyone raced a Mustang Gt with a GTP? Does the GTP have a chance with the newer body style Mustangs with there increased horsepower. Just curious.
    I have raced numerous Mustang GTs and won, in both the GTP and Regal GS. I have won against 5.0L mustangs, both new and old body types. I have also won against, the new 4.6L SOHC GTs.

The races have mostly been on the highway, involving several "runs" per race between 50MPH and 100MPH+, including through sweepers and s-turns. I did race and win against an old style 5.0 from a stoplight, up to about 50MPH where we cut if off. Here is a list of cars I have raced and beat, once again usually for several "runs" on the highway.

Audi A4 (1.8T, 2.7)
    Audi TT 2.7T
    Audi A6 (4.2L) and A8 (4.2L)
    BMW 318, 323, 325, 328, 330, 740
    BMW E36 M3, Z3 M Roadster
    Ford Mustang GT (4.6L SOHC)
    Honda Prelude, Civic, S2000
    Lexus GS400, SC400
    Lincoln LS V8
    Mercedes E430, CLK430, S500, SL500
    Nissan 300ZX, Maxima, Altima
    Porsche Boxter, 911 C2 (non-turbo)
    Toyota Supra (NA and single turbo)
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    My 98 GP 3.8 SE with 40,000 miles gets about 25 mpg lately on road trips doing 75 mph. I use to get 27 mpg but the change seems to have happened when I put in a new air filter about 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas? Could it be the switch to oxygenated fuel here in the northeast?
    I was going to ask if you changed gas companies.
    heng - looks like you get better gas mileage with your 3.8 than I do with my 3.1. I got 23 mpg this last time but 45% was highway and 55% was city. It's seldom I do all highway driving.
    we pull about 23-24 in the GP and are averaging 24 in the past year on our Bonneville. We do minimum highway driving so that keeps the numbers down. OTOH, "urban" driving here isn't quite so bad as it would be in a major city. It's the idling and frequent stop and go that kills your mileage.
    Streetracer thanks for the info. Have you done any mods to your GTP? Is so, what have you done. The reason why I ask is that I am thinking about adding some mods to increase my hp on my GTP. Have you beat a mustang gt with the newer body style.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    There is a picture of the 2004 Grand Prix at www.thecarconnection.com. The car doesn't look much different to me, perhaps a little influence from the Bonneville and Grand Am.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    looks like it has taller butt - like 300M or 2002 Altima
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I'm happy to know that it's still a car, not another hyped aberration known as "crossover", what many have unanimously lauded as the most fabulous thing ever to happen in the auto industry. :^P
    My 2001 GTP coupe is bone stock, as was my 99 Regal GS. However, the Regal GS use to easily pull 9PS to 11 PSI on boost gauge, as oppose to the factory rated 5-7PSI. My GTP seems as fast, if not faster up to about 85MPH where the GS might take it until around 110MPH, where the GTP would have the lead again. I would guess that I was lucky to have two factory freaks, meaning they put out more boost and are quicker than most stock cars. The other possiblity is that being in the Northeast (low altitude and temp) the boost numbers are normal, but higher than the offical numbers from the GM proving grounds. I timed the Regal in the 1/4 at around 14.0-14.5 and 100MPH, and the GTP 0-60 in around 6.0 to 6.2.
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Its hard to tell when it's all covered up, but from I can tell the shape looks basically unchanged. In a way that's good, since the GP has a great shape. But I guess I was hoping for something a little more dramatic...after all, this car has been around in the same form since '97.
    Do we know anything about engines, transmissions, or if its FWD/AWD/or RWD. I love the current GP. I would be very happy with another if we could maybe get GM's excellent 5 speed auto, Stabilitrak DSC, and Versatrak AWD. They also should just go ahead and put in the smaller pulley while they are at it !!!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    No change in gas. Same gas stations (mobile) at both ends of the trip.

Previous trips were during warm weather. Tire pressure maintained.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    The 2004 Grand Prix will remain FWD, as it will stay on the W body platform. It will probably use the 3800 for the first year or two, then switch to GM's new DOHC V6.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    GM is said to be working on a new family of V6 engines that'll feature OHC (DOHC?), variable valve timing, turbocharger (superchager?), etc. The capacity is believed to range between 2.5 for the wimpy Saab and 4.0 for the muscular Pontiac. ;^)
    Very cool !!! I am all for more technology, as long as it comes without loosing displacement (we actually gain some) or the blower. I can see the engine line item on the invoice for my 2004+ GTP now - 4.0SC 24V DOHC V6 - VVT :)

I think they should call it the 4000SC Series I !!!
  • kmcampbe11kmcampbe11 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody, I just purchased a 99 Grand Prix GT and I love the car but have a few questions, I'd appreciate any informaion. I've heard that although the tank is 15 gallons the fuel line holds another 3 gallons for a total of 18, is this correct? The other day I also noticed that the trunk lid was leaking, coming in through the spoiler, has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the fix? I've also noticed a squeak/rattle when I put the car in gear. It goes away after I get up to speed but its really annoying. Doesn't sound like the dash, more like something underneath. Any suggestions?
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Member Posts: 17
    OK, one, two, three, all together now - "We told you so!"

We put a LeBra on our 01 GPGT and I heard all kinds of stories about how the LeBra was really LeCrap. I admit it now. You have all been right. BUT, we still don't have any dings or rock chips on the front of the car. We have had it out now for 4 pretty good "roadies" and are still on the honeymoon. Most recently we got 30 mph going from central Illinois to Branson, MO (quite hilly). The average MPH dropped to around 25 once we got in Branson which has even worse hills to navigate, but overall we are still ecstatic about the car. We don't drive in town with the bra and now that the bug season is over with corn and soybeans harvested, we will probably lose the bra until planting season again.
    I have 2001 GTP and think the car's acceleration, cornering, and braking are outstanding, yet often under-rated by many. I think the only place the car is not stellar, is in very tight turns at slow speeds or sudden quick transitions.

You can put the car through highway sweepers/s-turns or weave in and out of light traffic at 100MPH+,which is where most of my hard driving occurs. However,it starts to understeer a little if taking 20MPH exit ramps at 40MPH+, or lags a little if tossing it suddenly side to side.

I am curious as to people's impressions of car's cornering and handling, especially in comparison to the BMW 330. I am especially interested in personal experience driving both car's hard on a variety roads, or racing one car with the other on such roads.
    never drove a BMW, but I can say that my Chrysler 300M is more willing to turn than my '98 GTP used to. GTP was great but 300M is better. GTP felt like its nose was rising when taking a tight turn. 300M just tucks in and pulls into the turn.
    GTP is "point and shoot" while 300M is "plan, downshift, point, and shoot". Takes time to get used to.

What you could probably do with your GTP is adding strut tower braces, thicker sway bars, and better tires. I think some people have turned their GTP into really good handlers this way.
  • xavier627xavier627 Member Posts: 7
    We'll I can tell you I've had the best of both worlds which include the a 2000 328CI and a 2001 GTP Sedan. I think both cars have pros and cons. The Beamer is very agile! It's great at handling and the transmission is superb. However, I think if you hooked up the GTP with better rims, (17's)with 245 45 R17's, and an aftermarket computer which stops it from killing the accelerator when in 3rd at 4k (the OEM computer does that and it sucks). By the way.. anyone know when they are supposed to come out with a new aftermarket computer for the 2001 GTP?
    I think we may be getting to the source of the difference between my personal experience, and skidpad numbers and reviews.

I often think of cornering or handling in terms of road holding in hard high speed turns. You guys are talking more about agility, in terms of transitions or turn in. However, given GTP is a powerful FWDer, you can just use the torque to get turn in and pull it through the corner.

Plus once you get a some straight road, my experience is GTP will leave 330 far behind especially between 60 and 110, after 110 that damn computer limits rev/throttle finally shutting you down at 127MPH. However, I was still slowly pulling away from an M Roadster at 110 the other night.
This discussion has been closed.