Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Electricblue and Kazz:

Hey, the Camaro may be faster by a little bit, but I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference in the acceleration unless you were using a stop watch or racing. The "feel" of the power would be the same.

But, in the looks department, the T/A is the winner, and it ain't even close!!!!

I have nothing against Camaros, but I think they ruined the styling on this last model. I owned a '94 Z28 with the 6-speed transmission, and I absolutely loved it. It was FAST and BEAUTIFUL!
    She was the polo green with T-tops and tan leather interior. She also had the Boze sound system, which was totally awesome.

I don't know about the T/A 2002 model's additional features or anything, but I know for my part, there's NO WAY I could wait that long. I sure hope they're not really going to discontinue the T/A or the Z28. Please tell me it ain't so!!!!!!!

America needs the muscle car- at least a few models. Old farts like me still need to be able to go middle-age crazy and go buy hot cars.

Later

tsjay
  • Options
    fastfoodmanfastfoodman Member Posts: 9
    I heard rumors the Grand Prix will be not longer made after the 2002 model year. I don't blame them the Grand Prix is an unreliable car. I owned one before constant problems. Bland styling. Overall, not a good car.

I own a Chrysler too another bad car.

My advice is get a Camry it is the best car for the price range. Or an Accord.
  • Options
    estopestop Member Posts: 10
    My advice is to just ignore fastfoodman.
    He just wants some attention!
    The Grand Prix is a BIG moneymaker for GM.
    I've got a 2000 GTP with 7000 miles on it, and the only complaint I have is--The little lights on the climate control buttons aren't bright enough for daytime use. I've owned alot of cars, trucks, and vans in my 58 years, and I've never been as happy with a purchase (except my 89' GMC 3/4 ton van which I still have,and,have never had to take back to the dealer).
    Someone at Pontiac must have really pissed someone off at EDMUNDS (Not the proper Respect or kickback?) because I don't suspect I'll have to take this one back either.
    AND,ELECTRICBLUE- Don't get a Trans AM! Get a GTP!
  • Options
    htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    to everyone please take what fastfoodman has to say with a healthy dose of scepticism. He has also been posting at the Intrigue board about how his Intrigue was total junk. If his statements about his personal experiences with both a Grand Prix and an Intrigue are true, How smart can he be? The Grand Prix and the Intrigue are based on the same platform and assembled at the same assembly plant in Kansas. If you purchased a Grand Prix and found it to be junk would you then runout and buy an Intrigue??
  • Options
    Today was the day- my 2000 Grand Prix GT finally hit the big 3-0, as in 30 miles per gallon.

It checked out twice before at 29.9, but today it was 30.0 on my trip back to Ky. from Illinois. Those are calculated values, not read-outs from the on-board gas mileage computer.

I usually get twenty-eight point something on my trip home.

This week I filled up as usual in Henderson, Ky. on my way up to Taylorville, Illinois, and drove up there, and drove around town all week on the same tank of gas. When I filled up in Taylorville just before starting home this morning, I got 20.0 miles per gallon.

Then on my way back through Henderson, I filled up again, as usual, and got 30.0 mpg.

The car has about 9400 miles on it, and I haven't had to take it back for anything at all so far.

Great car!

tsjay
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    my advice to you - PLEASE learn some punctuation. Or is this subject not scheduled at your school for a few more years?

What other Matchbox cars do you own and how do they compare to your Grand Prix and Chrysler?
  • Options
    lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    Every car he 'claims' he ever owned is 'junk', except the Camry which he 'claims' to now own.

He now supposedly owns several cars, including a 'Dodge' Intrigue. And he supposedly rented a Regal for a month, of course he says all these cars were total junk. Everything he says is full of wild exaggeration and contradiction and is probably fabricated.

From his minimal literacy level I suspect he is a teenager getting his 'kicks' stirring up trouble.
  • Options
    intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    just for your info guys,mr fastfoodman posted in the intrigue IV topic that he owns an intrigue,MANUFACTURED BY DODGE, that's no good, and his friends all own intrigues that are no good. he also says the intrigue with 21,000 miles has a resale value of $7000.he is also the owner of a new sebring and a camry.

his statements lack a great deal as to credibility.
  • Options
    well you know, with the poor quality control that they have at Dodge, they could have let an Intrigue slip off their assembly line. :):):)

And with fastfoodman's luck, he actually managed to get this rare specimen.
  • Options
    fastfoodmanfastfoodman Member Posts: 9
    Get a Camry I love my Camry!!!
  • Options
    kazzkazz Member Posts: 23
    Ya, ya, enough of cholesterol troll. Back to what we WERE talking about, I have to agree that the Trans Am looks a lot nicer than the Camaro these days. I really do like the flowing, rounded curves, very sensual and athletic. The Camaro, to me, doesn't look...bad, but I can't call it inspired, either. Also, I hear (rumor alert! No facts beyond this point in this sentence!) that the new Camaros have lots of reliability issues, but don't hear that about the TAs.

So far as a GTP, I don't think you'll feel cheated in terms of power. But if you need more boost, hit a GP club site. They can get that thing taking off like a Mustang GT (stock version, anyway), if you don't mind overtorquing (sp?) your transmission a little.
  • Options
    electricblueelectricblue Member Posts: 21
    Boy oh boy!!! This guy will send you running to sell your car and use public transportation!!! ROFLMAO!!! I think I agree with you all...must be a teen or maybe early 20's with too much free time on his/her? hands..too funny...also, I'm going for the GTP...my husband says maybe today? We are going to look right now..I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again everyone! :)
  • Options
    Hey gal, you're going to go with the GTP, huh?

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that you decided against the T/A, but the GTP is actually just as good-looking in my book- it just won't stay with a T/A in a speed contest (bet you weren't planning on racing anyway, huh?).

Hope you find one just exactly like you want and get a great deal.

PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH AS FAR AS COLOR AND OPTIONS!!! This is exciting!!

I love new cars so much, I even get excited when someone else gets one.

Good luck in your car hunting!!!

tsjay
  • Options
    greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    How can you compare a T/A and a GTP? They are two totally different types of vehicles for different purposes.

You buy a T/A for the engine. GTP gives you above average performance, better interior AND some practicality. You can transport 5 people in comfort and you have a big trunk. Not to mention that insurance will be lower.

IMO - the GTP sedan is the better choice. It looks better (car was designed as a sedan first), and you don't have the hassles of transporting passengers.
  • Options
    You meant that the GTP was designed as a coupe first, right?

'Cause this is how it was.

I can see how someone will get a GTP for the engine. It is a great engine.
  • Options
    You're right, greywolf, the GTP and the T/A are in different classes, but electricblue mentioned in an earlier post that she was considering the T/A.

I told her if she had the bucks she ought to go with the T/A, since she was considering one anyway.

I have a 2000 GP GT (not the GTP), and I love the car! But, if money were not an object, I would sure like to have a T/A.

I wish I had gone with the GTP, but I was thinking about the premium fuel requirement plus the extra bucks up front, so I just got the GT.

What are the GTP's, a couple thousand more than the GT or even more than that?

tsjay
  • Options
    ok everyone...I went out yesterday and test drove the G/P GTP...believe it or not, I didn't like it...Sooooo...I'm going with the Bonneville SLE!!! yay!! (who-ever would have thought? lol)
    For some reason, I didn't find the supercharged engine to be much faster than my Avenger..I have no idea why. Also, insurance wise, the Bonneville is the cheapest insurance so far that I've been quoted on the cars I've been shopping - my insurance agent told me because it rates very well as far as safety is concerned. I also started looking at the T/A's again, but, in the end, I decided that the practicality of the Bonneville outweighed the T/A. (Maybe when I decide to have a mid-life crisis I'll get a muscle car, if they still make them ;) ) So, I'm either getting a 2000 in a couple of weeks, or a 2001 around April...I haven't decided yet. I'll keep you posted, and as always, thanks for all the input!!
  • Options
    I think I'll just sit back,while everyone tries to sort this one out!!
    But the Bonniville IS a great car IMHO.
    (BUT go with the supercharged Bonniville.)
  • Options
    Nope - Ruski, the current gen Grand PRix was designed as a Sedan first..which is why it looks so much better in 4 doors than the previous gen 4 door which looked "tacked on"

IMO - If I were gonna shell out all that money for a T/A which I would buy for performance not practicality, I would save the extra $$$ and get a corvette.

Also, tsjay - the GTP is roughly $1200 bux more. Most insurance company charge little or no premium for insurance. The premium fuel is an issue for some, but since I dont use my car to commute it isn't for me.

Electric Blue - I cannot believe you could even compare a POS Avenger to a GTP. Engine wise we are talking nearly 100hp difference. Did you actually floor the GTP on the highway? There is no way you could mistake the two.

I agree though - the SSEi Bonnie is the one to get.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I personally like it but the car is too heavy to display respectable handling capabilities. I much prefer the GP GTP (same SC3800 engine but a much lighter vehicle). The Bonneville is a great car but the "Batmobile" looks hurt the cars' image more than benefit from it and the $30,000 plus sticker for the SSEi model is an exageration.

If I would have opt for a Pontiac, My choices would have been the GP GT or GTP.
  • Options
    electricblue - are you sure you drove a GTP? A real GTP will shove your head into the headrest if you press the gas pedal 1/4 way down.

greywolf - Regal GS was designed as a sedan and it shows. So was Intrigue. The Grand Prix's roofline is a coupe's roofline - maybe they put 4 doors onto it right from the beginning, but they always had a coupe in mind. Mine is a coupe and looks great with 2 doors.
  • Options
    96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    The GP was designed as both coupe and sedan from the get go. From the very beginning the GP coupe/sedan was going to have the same roof and lines etc. It was excellent engineering as the two styles are hard to tell until you go around to the side of the car.
  • Options
    I followed the GP with great interest whn it first came out, as my old car was on it's last legs at the time. One of the things I clearly remember was GM trumpeting the "rakish" lines of the car, a product of them designing it as a "coupe first." Sorry.

It also shows on the sedans. The backseat has a kind of low roofline (coupe nod).

It's a quibble. Personally, I hope they take the same approach with the next-gen GP, because it worked out very well this time.
  • Options
    Say, since I'm talking about new models, has anyone seen the news about the '04 Chryslers? All the LH cars (300M, Intrepid, LH, etc.) are going rear-wheel, with V8 engine power available. They are also putting out an all-aluminum Hemi C motor, and plan to make a sharp-looking convertible out of it. I'm drooling at the thought...
    GM might have opened a real can of worms with the GP. When the GTP first came out, there was nothing like it. Now it seems everyone is beefing up their power and accessories to match or beat it. With their long, long development cycles, everyone else will have 2 generations of cars in before GM releases the next GP in (what? '03 or '04 I think). From what I understand, GM is mostly experimenting with a 3.5 DOHC supercharged engine for the next GTP. I'm wondering if maybe GM has underestimated the desire of the competition on this one, and if they will be nimble enough to respond to it. I certainly never thought I'd seriously consider a Chrysler, but that 300M almost wooed me last time. If they keep up their pace of improvement, they're gonna trample the General, methinks.
  • Options
    I read about this in Autoweek 7/17/00...

It will be on GM's new lower midsized platform called Super-Epsilon, also to include the next Intrigue. "Pontiac's car on the platform is code named Banner, and will be to the Grand Prix what the Acura TL is to the Honda Accord....more power and amenities and better handling, a source says."

I've also heard rumours of AWD. But I'm sure the general will deliver on power. Looks - I'm holding my breath. I hope they dont put all that ugly plastic rib stuff on it.
  • Options
    I cannot quite understand it.

If the next GP, code named Banner, will be to the Grand Prix what the Acura TL is to Honda Accord... then what will the next GP be? I mean, GP, not the GP.
  • Options
    ok! ok!! lol It was a GP GTP I drove..that I'm sure of...I really didn't drive it far, and I did floor it a couple of times, but, quickly got off it..(the dealer-guy was in the back seat, you know... ;) ) But, I'm wondering...I've never owned a car with leather interior...I just don't particularly care for it...could this possibly be the cause of my not liking this car much? I think I may go test drive a cloth interior GTP, just to see. As far as my avenger goes, I KNOW it won't compete with the horses of the GTP, it just FELT that way when I drove it, you silly gooses!! lol I'll keep you posted!!
  • Options
    darkhalfdarkhalf Member Posts: 3
    I was reading somewhere on the net, and I found out that the 03' redesigned GP's will no longer be available in the coupe, just the sedan. If I find that website I will post later on. I hope they do not get rid of the coupe, although the sedan is a little bit better looking:)
  • Options
    I hope they get rid of the SE and offer only the GT and GTP in the next iteration of the Grand Prix. What the GT and GTP is like - will remain to be seen. But one thing is for sure, they cant up the price too much.

Also - electricblue all new GTP's come standard with leather.
  • Options
    Ok! I did it...I just bought a 2000 G/P GT - I drove one again today, and boy did it MOOOOVE!! I'm not a big fan of leather, so I decided to just go with the GT. I was at the dealership for about 4 hours, trying to decide between the Bonneville and the GP, but in the end I decided to go with the GP - it was more fun to drive, has a stiffer feel, which is what I like. I went with the sedan as well, even though I don't need one, but, I've never had a 4 door car and thought, what the heck, it's probably pretty practical. The only thing I don't like about it is it has that spoiler style sliding sunroof, but I suppose I'll get used to it. Oh, and I went with the bronzemist, incase anyone cares - lol..I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again everyone for all of your input!! (I probably will pick it up next Thursday)
  • Options
    congratulations.

I don't have sunroof on my GTP but I like the look of it on other GPs. Kind of looks like the back of the neck of some angry animal.

But are you sure that you don't want a GTP? I think leather is always a nice thing to have.
  • Options
    Hi "Blue"!

I am glad you got a Grand Prix- wait 'til you're on prune juice and Geritol to get a Bonneville.

I still would have liked to see you get the T/A, but the GP is definitely more practical and just as good-looking.

I sure like my 2000 GP GT. I also got the 4-door, which I think looks maybe even better than the coupe. I would have never thought that I would like the looks of a 4-door sedan as well as the same car in the coupe version, but in the case of the GP's, the sedans are actually better looking in my book.

I can't believe you don't like leather! I think a car looks ten times classier with leather interior, and the leather is comfortable as well.

Keep us posted on how you like your car.

Once again, congratulations!

tsjay
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Hot in summer....
    Cold in winter.....
    Cracks, creases, and fades with age....

But 'everyone loves leather', so the auto manufactors refuse to offer decent cloth, in decent colors.

But, leather sucks.
  • Options
    That was a cheery post! My leather is now going on five years old and is in fine shape. Just make sure you treat it once or twice a year. You can't believe how much it helps it. Cleans it and keeps it soft as well. If you smoke, be very careful.
  • Options
    Hot in summer....
    Cold in winter.....
    Cracks, creases, and fades with age
    What? Have you actually owned a vehicle with leather? Or are you parroting what you have heard about leather?
    Leather is not Vinyl! Leather breathes!
    Leather is COMFORTABLE for crying out loud!
    OK! I'll settle down now! For crying out loud!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! I don't really know why I don't like leather, I just don't...I also find it hot in the Summer and cold in the winter...It's just not "warm" feeling to me for some reason..funny, we have a leather couch, and I love it...I would never go back to fabric..but in my car, it's a different story. Oh, by the way, I've changed my mind again!! lol This is going to drive me to drink for sure...hehehe I went out looking again today, and I found myself being pulled back to the Bonneville...I like the re-designed look sooo much! But, who knows, by tomorrow I may change it back. UGH!! It's driving me nuts...The reason this has been such a big deal is that, we've been through this like every 2 years lately, because I haven't been getting exactly what I want on my cars...so, the next one I buy has to be exactly what I want, because I want to keep it for a very long time. And I do agree, I like the look of the sedan vs. the coupe on the GP, I think it looks better also. I'll keep you posted!! (As the World Turns! lol )
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! I don't really know why I don't like leather, I just don't...I also find it hot in the Summer and cold in the winter...It's just not "warm" feeling to me for some reason..funny, we have a leather couch, and I love it...I would never go back to fabric..but in my car, it's a different story. Oh, by the way, I've changed my mind again!! lol This is going to drive me to drink for sure...hehehe I went out looking again today, and I found myself being pulled back to the Bonneville...I like the re-designed look sooo much! But, who knows, by tomorrow I may change it back. UGH!! It's driving me nuts...The reason this has been such a big deal is that, we've been through this like every 2 years lately, because I haven't been getting exactly what I want on my cars...so, the next one I buy has to be exactly what I want, because I want to keep it for a very long time. And I do agree, I like the look of the sedan vs. the coupe on the GP, I think it looks better also. I'll keep you posted!! (As the World Turns! lol )
  • Options
    hengheng Member Posts: 411
    You ever put your butt in a leather seat when it is 20F (normal winter in the northeast) or 10F? Nuff said.
  • Options
    heng - that was my point, in a nutshell!! Thank you!!! lmao I'm one of the someone's that leather is not for - It seems our winter's here in Michigan (SE lower) are getting a bit less severe, but it stills gets darn cold so I definately agree with your sentiments!! Also, have you ever gotten in a car with leather seats with shorts on when it's about 95F? OUCH!!!!!! Which, also is not unusual for a midwest summer at times...so, I agree!!
  • Options
    I admit that it can be a little uncomfortable sitting down on a cold leather seat (I know, I live in northwest Illinois), but they also seem to warm up very quickly as well. The interior doesn't get as hot as it used to either since I had the windows tinted. I can see everyone's point about the pros and cons of leather. To me anyway, the good outweighs the bad. :)
  • Options
    Hello? That's why you have heated seats for cold weather.

Leather is far superior. More comfortable, doesn't stain and attract lint. It just needs cleaning and conditioning twice a year.

I use the Zaino leather cleaner and leather in a bottle products. They mostorize, protect against UV and give you that nice leather smell.

My GTP is black with a leather graphite interior. I recommened the following:

- Tint your windows. Not only does it make the car look much better, but it helps keep the interior cooler and helps protect the leather from direct sunlight

- Get a reflective sun shield if you park in the sun. This will also protect the dash and front seats from the direct rays of the sun.

Electricblue - if you are a driving enthusiast, you will regret not getting a GTP. Everyone I have spoken to wishes they got the GTP over the GT in retrospect. The Bonneville is nice, but you have to pay a lot more for the super charged model (over 30k) - which is why the GTP is a bargain.

I would avoid the sunroof - it's not very functional. Sunroof's in general are overrated - and you have to worry about it leaking or breaking as it gets on in age. Not to mention you lose the overhead console compartments.
  • Options
    Some people likes leather, other not. Personal preference.

Any case, it is always possible to buy a seat cover. The covers are not expensive and do not need much work. But it is impossible to buy supercharged GrandPrix or Regal without leather. And, as good as the standard 3800 engine, the extra 40hp form the supercharger are very noticeable.
  • Options
    Actually, what is more noticable than the additional HP, is the additional Torque.
    280 ft-lbs @ 5,200 rpm-GTP
    225 ft-lbs @ 5,600 rpm-GP
    Torque is what gets ya going!!
  • Options
    Agree. The difference in torque is substantial at full rpm range, but especially at lower to mid rpm. The graphs are available here

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/38l36_torque.htm

and here

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/38l67_torque.htm
  • Options
    mriversmrivers Member Posts: 9
    "I would avoid the sunroof - it's not very functional."

It does what a sun roof is supposed to do, and, as weather permits, I drive with mine open.

"and you have to worry about it leaking or breaking
    as it gets on in age."

My first car, has a sun roof, that still functions and doens't leak (it's the only thing that hasn't broken), and it's 13 or 14 years old.

The car is probably the reason why I ordered my GTP with a sun roof, with the broken A/C, I just got used to driving with it open :)
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    three different cars with leather,that's why I feel I can give an opinion about it.

My wife is a fanatic about cleaning the inside of our cars. As leather ages, even with conditioners, it will sag, crease, and if you keep it a while it will crack. Get it wet once, then watch it crack quick. Look at the used cars you see with the cracks, I've always thought the previous owners sit down in wet bathing suits a few times....

The car makers have some excellent 'cloth' materials available to them. Ones that wear like iron, do not 'pill up', or pull the stitches. And they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter!
  • Options
    estop:
    Actually the torque peaks lower at 280lbs at 3600rpm on the GTP, while peaking between 225-230lbs at 4000rpm for the NA 3.8.

As far as leather goes, if you really don't like it don't get it. You will have to give up the supercharger for it however. Big mistake in my book...
  • Options
    Sheesh!!
    I was only 2000 RPM OFF! 8-) Double typo.

Actually,as far as leather goes, I don't think I would miss it if I didn't have it. I just think it looks nice and feels nice, but then, for the last ten yrs. I've been driving a van with vinyl seats. I live in southern Michigan and the Hot and Cold never bothered me. Probably just got used to it.
    But Electricblue, you'r doing right. Check them all out, change your mind a few times. Take your time, and end up with exactly what you want.
    Leather or fabric.
    Sunroof or not - (I like my sunroof)
    Supercharger or not (I like my supercharger)
  • Options
    Sorry for getting obnoxious on you.
    If you have owned 3 cars with leather,I'm sure that you know more about it than I do!
    I'll keep quiet now.
This discussion has been closed.