Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mitsubishi Galant

Comments

• Options
    boston14boston14 Member Posts: 111
    and put the money in the godforsaken stock market known as the Nasdaq. Worst market in a decade. Now is the time to take the bold steps and get back your lost galant value with bold buys in chip and optical stocks.
  • Options
    dallastexasdallastexas Member Posts: 4
    How much are they wanting to fix it?
  • Options
    amitsuowneramitsuowner Member Posts: 16
    The Mitsubishi service station wants ~2400 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt one. I could probably get a third party to replace it for 1700.
  • Options
    ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    It's pretty sad to hear about all these bad things with the galant... If any of you need to hear about good stuff and the other side of the story, pay us a visit at galantcenter.com , or galant2k under yahoo's clubs.

Good luck to all of you with trouble , very sad to hear about that ... and to those who are happy with your vehicle .. you are one more satisfied customer like me ! LOL !! :-)
  • Options
    sobright1sobright1 Member Posts: 78
    Unfortunately you seem to be in a position of having to fix the transmission in order to get rid of the car. As you already stated the car has depreciated significantly. It will be a tough car to sell outright or even trade with the tranny broken. Don't you guess that the already miserable trade in value will be much worse with a bad transmission? Again, I don't know where you live, but the rebuild prices you are being quoted are twice what they are near Memphis, TN. I would certainly further shop the rebuild. On a more positive note, you appear to be somewhat lucky with your Grand Cherokee. Last spring Consumer's Reports magazine rated the reliability of nearly every car, truck, and SUV available. The Grand Cherokee got special mention as the graph on the "worse than average" side ran out of room on the page in that it was %135 worse than average. To be fair, I once bought a Grand Marquis on their recommendation which was the sorriest automobile I ever owned and depreciated even worse than my Gallant. Also, I know of three people who own Grand Cherokees with little or no trouble. I certainly understand your predicament and wish you luck . By the way, you are also correct in your recommendation of an Accord or Camry, they are ugly as hell but most other alternatives in that price range, strictly from a maintenance/depreciation point of view are as you put it "irrational".
  • Options
    mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    Did you consider extended warranty ? Do they actaully check whether your vehicle runs or not when they sell you the extended warranty?
  • Options
    stylin19stylin19 Member Posts: 4
    I have read every post to date. and i thank you all for your insight and clues & help.
    One post mentioned bushings, but didnt go into detail.

I am a 2nd owner(1997) of a 1995 Galant "S" since 32k, with auto/pwr brks/steering windows,doorlocks/cruise/abs/cd - 80k miles. 8yr\100k extended warranty.

no major problems, all maintenance done religiously.

Up until this past Sunday, this car was as quiet as a car can be for it's size.

Sunday it developed a squeak ( like stepping on a warped board in a wood floor). The squeak is on the front passenger side and is only heard when:
    1. hitting a dip or rough road
    2. steering while in reverse. ( squeak then sounds like it's coming from the steering )
    my mechanic says "the bushings needed lubricating". This explanation doesn't sound right, based on my understanding of bushings.(and the lubrication didn't work, BTW)

Has anyone had this type of squeaking problem ?
    If so, what exactly was the cause of the squeak?

I will be taking it to the dealer ( shudder ), but i'd like to be armed with a little info.
    Thanx for all your help
  • Options
    dallastexasdallastexas Member Posts: 4
    Should I buy one or Not?

Thinking on 2000 es
  • Options
    I happen to love and not love my Galant ES 4 cyl. Likes are great great engine and transmission. In fact I recently test drove a 97 Acura 3.0 and the Galant to me had a better road manners. The Acura has an awful transmission, the shifts were felt and I was very dissapointed. I think the Galant is a fantasic ride compared to the many many cars I have tried. Its kicks the Altima's no doubt. I rented that thing 4 times and really dont want it again. I travel a lot you see and will ask for something else next time. My only dislikes is the cramped interior. I felt the Mazda Protege ES was a much more pleasant place to be in. But that car is LOUD, although with the 5 speed one heck of a sweet rev. My advice is there is gave and take. If your first need is performance, by all means the Galant will not not not let you down. If you love comfort and interior room and a spacious feel well, the Altima and Protege beats the Galant. There is no easy answer and one year later I am still asking what do I like more?
  • Options
    purp3purp3 Member Posts: 24
    Well, I've had my 2000 just about a year now. 14,300 miles and not a bit of a problem. Sorry to hear about all the troubles with some of you! Overall, I think the Galant is the best car in it's class. Best price, best looks and many other things. Look what Car and Driver says! Look what AAA had to say! None of you mention that! Go to the Toyota and Honda forums. You'll see they aren't perfect either! I drove my car to Florida from Georgia this past March and my brother liked my ES 4cyl so well he bought one too! He loves his also! So, for all the negative people out there, there are just as many people with positive comments.
  • Options
    I am sure that all of us posting to this forum are pleased that you are happy with your Galant and that it is thus far trouble free. I doubt that most of us on this forum will dispute your comments about the good things about Galant ownership. They certainly are better looking than their Honda and Toyota competition, are fun to drive, and are typically more bang for the buck for the initial purchase price. I put 183,000 miles on mine and it still got me around before I wrecked it. I might add that I too loved driving my Galant and still enjoy my Mitsubishi Expo/LRV. What I did not enjoy was the constant need to repair some parts of the car, typically the same parts that have given other owners problems too, parts that in my case alone have affected not one, but two, Mitsubishi automobiles. Our comments are not meant to be taken as negative, though sometimes when you are paying money over and over again, such as amitsuowner has, it does tend to make you a bit emotional. I view these forums as educational. For example, you admittedly have less than 15,000 miles on your car, you obviously like it, and are thus defensive of it. The real test of your loyalty may come a few miles, and many dollars, later should you too experience the typical problems so often mentioned in this forum. It is my hope that some of my earlier posts regarding transmission problems and brake problems will not only help people make an informed buying decision, but additionally prevent some of the problems so many of us have encountered, namely I reiterate my recommendation that you change the transmission fluid/filter often and insist that the wheels be reinstalled with a torque wrench after brake jobs or wheel balancing. When/if your Galant starts making a strange noise just as you take off or put it into gear you can probably look to replace the problematic front motor mount. By the way, I have spent much time in both Honda and Toyota forums that you mentioned and I would suggest that, even though there are many, many times more Accord and Camry owners out there, the owners on these forums do not seem to have any more problems, and probably less, than those associated with Mitsubishi products. They definately have less automatic transmission problems. I would also point out that your mention of AAA and Car and Driver tends to be an initial driving impression and not a long term test of reliability as in Consumer's Report magazine where the ratings are based on surveys of actual owners over a period of years. At any rate, I am sure we all wish you many years of trouble free motoring with your Galant.
  • Options
    Now I am thinking about whether to bit the bullet and stick with my Galant which now has horrible resale value due to Mitsu's current 000 program. I just cant get the question out of my mind whether the Galant will last over the long haul as I plan to avoid the trade in, resale mess. I have practially no choice but to keep my 2000 Galant now since no dealers really want it and all buyers just buy new with the 000 program. Josh, after reading all these posts I should have just followed the crowd and got a Honda, or Toyota. Cross my fingers and hope my 2000 Galant will go for 150,000 miles as the value is dropping faster than the NASDAQ OR NASDOG.
  • Options
    harrisot00harrisot00 Member Posts: 2
    Those of us on this forum fall into three main categories:
    1) Looking for information on Galants-new or used.
    2) Looking for diagnosis of (or sympathy for) problems on our Galants.
    3) Sharing appreciation for current/past Galants.

Groups #1 & 2 have the highest likelyhood of showing up and being vocal. This is a Galant not a 'Vette (etc.), so Group #3 is not as prevalent.
    Therefore, people looking for information (#1) are looking at a negatively biased cross-section.

My advice is buy a car if you like it and feel good about the purchase. The bad experiences of all here, while valid, should be taken as individual data-points with the understanding that it is not the whole data-set.

My addition to the group history is that I have had 2 Galants for 3 years total ownership and 30k miles. I never took either to the shop.
  • Options
    steve109steve109 Member Posts: 13
    I must have gotten a good Galant. '00 ES 4 cyl. I bought this past February. 20,450 miles on it. Not one problem with it. I drive 40 miles round trip to work every day in Columbus, OH, area. Trips to Buffalo, NY, where my wife is from, in all kinds of weather (Galant good in snow!), and trips to rural, hilly Pennsylvania where I am originally from, and I drive the crap out of the car. Absolutely no problems.
  • Options
    cho7819cho7819 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 99 Galant and referring to post 488, I do not agree. This car is terrible in the snow, it gets around..... if you in a straight line but if you make a slight turn the rear end fishtails. Other than that, I love this car. Almost bought the V6 but I remembered it was the first production year for the galant and figured it would be safer to buy the I4 for now, the I4 is pretty powerful. It beats my aunts taurus major time. I have had no problems with 20,000 miles so far/
  • Options
    There's no way the Galant has that proven reliability that camry and accord has ... We all know that ... but ask yourself .. WHY ? why people keep buying those Taurus and Oldsmobiles if we all know they suck and resale value is even worst than the galant ..
    -Lots of people like me don't intend to keep our cars for 150,000 miles...

Boston: don't sell your car yet , wait until the warranty expires at least.

About extended warranty ... I think I read you can't make a claim during first 15-30 days, maybe i read wrong.
  • Options
    99galant99galant Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 1999 4cyl ES just over 16 mo. 18,500 miles and not a bit of a problem. Contrary to some opinions in this forum, The Galant IS the best car in it's class. I know people with both Hondas and Toyotas that have had problems (some major) early on... All I've done so far is change the oil, first at 2,000 mi then at each 5,000 mi thereafter. (Changing every 3,000 with today's high quality grade oils is way to conservative, not to mention extremely environmentally unfriendly). There are always going to be some bad apples in a bunch, but I think the Galant is better than most. For those of you still considering a purchase, Go For It!! Use your own judgement on what you feel is a good value, not what the chronic complainers voice...
  • Options
    mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    I am stuck with a '99 ES V6 (Over 25K miles) and I think that when it comes to mitsubishi build quality, there's a lot of room for improvement. These cars are:

1. Noisy, everything rattles, squeaks makes a whole bunch of noises.
    2. Not reliable, becuse they don't last long.
    3. Mitsubishi service does suck big time...

By buying a Galant, you're wasting money and asking for trouble.
    IMHO
  • Options
    msnmsn Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a new 2001 ES V6 and I recently purchased a 2000 ES V6 with 18K miles. I've noticed the shift points are quite different between the cars. Mine shifts later. Does anyone have any experience with how long the adaptive shift takes to adapt?

Also, the 15K mile difference has made a great difference in the feel of the two cars. In the 2000, the engine and road noise is noticeably louder. The car rides rougher. The difference is almost like one has a luxury suspension and the other has a rougher sports tuned suspension. I'm not implying that my ES has a sports tuned suspension, just using this as an analogy. Tire wear on the 2000 is in line with what you'd expect with 18K miles.

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas regarding the adaptive shift?
  • Options
    I'll have my car a year in a few days. I have a 2000ES 4cyl. Very much love it! MPEVZNER, you must think the Galant is a good car otherwise you wouldn't keep visiting this forum! Come on and get a grip! Move on! Anway, I have something to say about resale value. Everyone says the resale value isn't as good as Toyota or Honda. Well, that's probably the case but think about this! Would you rather pay $2,000 - $3,000 less when you buy than wait and get it at the end when you trade it back in? Me, I'd rather pay less to start off! So, to all those people with negative comments, sorry to hear about your troubles. I haven't had any problems at all and don't think I will. I agree with galant99 that the Galant is the best car in it's class! You just can't go wrong with buying a great looking car at a good price!
  • Options
    longtravelerlongtraveler Member Posts: 1
    I drive about 220 miles everyday for work. I currently drive a 1998 Ford Taurus in which I currently have 78,000 miles on and frankly, I'm getting worried about if it's going to last until it's paid for. Not to mention the ride is very cumbersome and it seems my whole body aches from being bounced around on the NJ Turnpike for 2 hours at a time. I've been considering a used Infinity or Volvo but came across the 000 Deal. I am considering a 2000 Galant LS (V6 / Leather). I haven't visited the dealer yet. Is this 000 deal for real and how does it work? I was going to park my Taurus for a year and pay it off before I need to start paying for the Mitsu. Mainly becaus I owe much more than the Taurus is worth. Also, can the Galant take this kind of daily abuse and is the ride smooth. I rented a 4 cyl Galant once and it seemed ride smoother than my Taurus, but it also only had 15,000 miles on it. HELP!!!!
  • Options
    I believe the 000 deal is no interest, no payments, and nothing down for a year. So, after the year is up you can either take Mitsu's financing rate, pay the car off, or finance through your own bank. That's what they told me a year ago when I bought my ES 4cyl. So, it is a legitimate deal. The only thing is after the year I believe when you go to finance they will consider the car used and you may have to pay a higher interest rate. You should check on that! Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with the Galant! I believe it is a very reliable car! You've read some posts in here talking about some negative things and you know all cars have some problems. You just mostly hear about the negative ones! Anyway, go drive the LS and let us know what you think! Also, before you do the 000 deal make sure to check if it will be considered a used car after the year and if the interest rate will be higher at your bank or with Mitsu. Good luck!
  • Options
    Well when i got mines they told me if I paid off everything after one year, I may get fined around $500 for not taking their financing ... but anyways, I didn't go for it since i took the $750 rebate and paid cash ..
    Since you drive lots of miles ... well,

My uncle has a Sienna , 60,000 miles in like less than 2 years ... and holding off pretty good.
    My cousin Accord, 2 years and 80,000 miles and still drives like new ...
    My sister protege: 6 years and 100,000 and starting to break apart.
    My Galant: 4000 miles in 1 yr , too little to tell what's gonna happen.
  • Options
    Going fast and looking good is second nature to the Galant. Well, so is getting insulted by almost every dealer in the Seattle area market. When I mentioned " trade in Galant " they act if I am the 2nd coming of Jeffery Damner. I was offered 2 days ago 7500 for my 2000 ES 10k. They bumped it up to 9500 once I put my jacket right back on when they showed me the offer. I loves how the car drives and handles, never a complaint there, its just the interior room is not good at all. I am starting to dislike the slanted windshield very much, that my main grip. Now that the Galant is a plague to dealers and no one will buy it from me its to to make up with my car and put some dura lube, pro long and motor up in it to say I am sorry for wanting to get rid of you.
  • Options
    150,000 miles here I go in my new old best friend THE NO VALUE GALANT!! JUST JOKING its a great car, but damm unslant the shield and make it like a box inside and I am in heaven.
  • Options
    galantdriver2galantdriver2 Member Posts: 11
    I have read all the posts in this forum, and some in other forums, and I can come to two conclusions:
    it's how well / often you maintain the vehicle (and use the warranty for defects) and if the mechanics care about quality of service or not. I had a 96 mirage which I regularly maintained, but I tortured the engine (constant high rpm driving). Although I had it for only 55000 miles in 5 years, the only thing I changed was the oil, radiator coolant, and transmission fluid, and changed the brake pads and fluid.
    My parents own a '90 galant which has survived after 10 years in the middle east heat and dust.
    Which is why I bought a 2000 ES 4 cyl back in april. Of course the steering wheel started shaking around 70 mph. took it to the dealership, and they told me everything was ok, took it to several automotive shops, same answer. Then I get a recall notice. Traded the 2000 for the 2001 ES V6 back in Oct. The engine started idling roughly after 200 miles in P or N, without a load (no AC). took it to 2 dealers, the first said that it was the fuel. I used QT, but switched to BP, Shell, Texaco. No difference. Took it to another dealer, who diagnosed the engine and said it was running under mitsu specs. I think it might be the plugs but since it's a hassle to replace them it wasn't worth changing until my scheduled tune up. As long as this thing lasts 10 years, I think I can put up with a little roughness. One thing I did notice in the suspension was that the 2000 was softer than the 2001. I liked the 2000 feel better, but oh well.
  • Options
    sajayreddysajayreddy Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,
    I have a Mitsu Galant 97.It has about 41k on it and I brought when it had around 32k. From the past 2weeks I observed that as i go more than 60 miles/hour my handle vibrates and if I slow down below 60 miles its ok.Can anyone please suggest me some answer for my problem.
    Thanks,
    Sajay
  • Options
    sajayreddysajayreddy Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,
    I have a Mitsu Galant 97.It has about 41k
    on it and I brought when it had around 32k. From
    the past 2weeks I observed that as i drive more than 60 miles/hour my steering wheel vibrates and if I slow down below 60 miles its ok.Can anyone please suggest me some answer for my problem.
    Thanks,
    Sajay
  • Options
    Well, as far as I know, usually when a car has been in some sort of accident, the steering wheels vibrates.
  • Options
    hwahwahwahwa Member Posts: 25
    Like a fool i bot a used galant with rebuilt transmission,new radiator and 121,000 miles.actually i have not driven for a long time and i need a car to practice and pass the driver test,and the galant came along!
    the engine leaks oil but it was fine for a while around time,in fact it was surprisingly smooth,until one day the engine light turned on.
    the mechanic did an oil change,tun eup with new spark plug,replace ignition wire set,spark plug wires,then distribution cap,ignition rotor.
    now the car is worse than before,and i only drove it for 2000 miles arund time.
    when i drive it for more than say 15 minutes,it started to make noises at the stop light,some times it will just die .
    once in a while while driving there seems to be some kind of pullback ,hard to describe .
    what bothers me is the stop light incident when it died on me,does any one know what is going on?
    i hate to go back to the mechanic every other week,i wonder if they know what they are doing.
    now they are gettimngdefensive and say it is the mileage and enigine leak.
    but i only had it for 10 months and 2000 miles ,it was not that bad before they worked on it,help please
  • Options
    Where did you buy that car Hwahwa? I myself would not buy a used car at all when its has over 100,000 miles unless its from someone you know. That kind of thing is to be expected when the car is that high in mileage. My parents had a 87 Toyota Corolla that only lasted about 98,000 miles before we got rid of it due to engine failures that came and went. Even the Toyota dealer couldnt find or fix the problem. Its happens to the best car makers and that toyota of ours is proof. When just got rid of it for 500. Hang it there.
  • Options
    i bot it off the street!
    like i said i let my driver license expire and i need a car to practice,it is a catch 22 situation,no car no licence,no license ,no car!it has a new rebuilt transmission and new radiator.
    i did some work such as oil change,tune up,battery and minor parts.
    the engine leaks oil but at first there is no sign of whatever ,now if i drive long enough,it will vibrate loudly at stop light then it may die .
    my mitsubishi dealer offers me 1000 as trade in,i paid 2200 .
    i know from reading this board,the zero program is killing the resale value of mitsubishi cars,so i am not sure if i get a new car,should i buy something else say a honda or a good toyota?
    consumer report said gallant is a good value and my dealer offered floor sample white 6 cylinder 2000 gallant ls for 18.000 cash.
    i would like to hold on to my 92 car a little longer to recoup my investment and just use it for around time errands,buti really like to know what is wrong with it,when it dies at the stop lite,both engine and oil lites lightup,does it mean something.
    i have no problem restarting but i like to know what can cause it to happen?
  • Options
    Compared to what the rivials Toyota and Honda charge for their new v6 its nearly impossible to beat. Mine is a 4 cyl and I have never had one complaint about the power when is warmed up and has run a few miles on the drive. The transmission is the best and I have test driven a 97 Acura 3.0 which is one horrific shifting auto, an Altima, Camry and many many others and the best is still the Galant. I have stopped trying to trade in my car for something else as I have realized the grass is not always greener somewhere else. I have test driven 5 different brands of cars priced 14,000 to 20,000 and the Galant has the best road feel of all. The cars were Protege ES, Focus Wagon, Nissan Frontier v6 , Toyota tacoma and Subaru Legacy and Impreza. After carefully thinking not about interior room (thats my only dislike about the Galant) I came to realize this is the best of all of those cars above IMHO and I cant part with it. Grass is greener right here for me.
  • Options
    It is interesting to read the several posts defending their Galants reliability. Having been a generally happy Gallant owner myself, and having thoroughly enjoyed my car, I can certainly understand those dedicated to their Galants. What is curious is to read posts from so many owners of relatively new Galants that rave about their cars and speak of them as though they are invincible. Even more disturbing is the near anger vented towards any Galant owner who is brave enough to post his or her dissatisfaction with their car's reliability. Enjoy your Galants, they have much going for them, but don't be so arrogant as to ignore the advice of other owner owners who can attest to areas of the car that are problematic. If you have an automatic transmission, I don't care how good it shifts when new or near new, hedge your bets and change the fluid and filer frequently and take the car out of overdrive in mountainous terrain or when towing anything. Also, properly torque the lug nuts. Even following these suggestions, as your Galant ages, don't be surprised if you still have problems as these are notoriously weak areas of the car. On the other hand the Galant's strengths are extremely reliable engines and excellent design.

While I understand those so quick to defend the reliability of their Galants against the likes of Toyota or Honda (depreciation of Galants not withstanding), your assertions, obviously based on your own understandable emotional attachments to your cars just don't have a quantative leg to stand on. With regularity I read nearly all of the major car magazines, as well several leading consumer magazines, as well as several forums on the web, and the reliability numbers year after year of these two makes is far above all of the other brands domestic or foreign. To be fair though, even with its problems, the Galant is a far better car than many others on the road and perhaps (sadly) all of the domestic makes. Reliability wise, every publication that rates cars rates the average Gallant just a few notches below the more homely Camry or Accord.

This post was not meant to anger any of the proud Galant owners. However, as further evedince of Mitsubishi letting their quality slip, I would point you to page 18 of the January issue of Automobile magazine which reads as follows, "In the wake of Mitsubishi's embarrassing recall debacle, the Japanese Transport Ministry has temporarily withdrawn the company's registration certificate - thereby forbidding it to launch any new cars in Japan...". I guess to be fair, if the US had a similar policy, all cars would have to be imported.
  • Options
    japanese bosses are known to publicly apologise profusely and resign when something goes wrong.
    arent our gallants come outof normal,ill facility or is it just assembled there?
    true,new car owners should be astute in paying attention to what other car owners have to say,especially those who own their cars for a while or bot a used one.
    my dealer offer of a white floor sample 2000 gallant LS is 18.000 cash (before 1000 trade in for my old one)-please note it is a white one and down in houston,white ones get dirty easy.
    also there is a rebate program going on nationwide for all 2000 gallant of 2000 dollars.
    also it is a floor sample so there will be some mileage and test driving abuse.
    i dont know whether it is still available,but since then i have received calls from other dealer(mitsubishi) for 2001 gallant ls for msrp plus 100 with more generous trade in.
    i suspect come next year,all auto makers domestic and foreign will be scrambling to sell their cars.
    this zero program is bad news for resale value.
    my salesman recommend taking up on the zero program and find alternative financing within a year,do not wait when one year is up and face the choice of paying 9% to your dealer or have your local bank tells you it is now a one year old car.
    another suggestion is to accept the zero program,keep the cash in bank to earn interest and come back a year later and pay it off.
    of course all these arrangements will be more than 18,000 .
    i still would like to know what is wrong with my 92 gallant which dies at stop lite
  • Options
    my 92 gallant has a new rebuilt transmission when i purchased it.
    the seller bot this car at auction and quickly found out prior owner had been driving with the parking stick up!it ruined the transmission,but i have heard from other mitsu owners that the transmission is an achilles heel for mitsubishi.
    i think car quality has gone up in recent years,especially the lower end domestic ones and the cheap foreign ones like hyundai.
    unfortunately there are more car owners who drive more and maintain less, our lifetstyle is so hectic that some of us dont have time to do every thing.
    also there are folks out there who know howto drive and nothing else about the car like oil change,tune up.
  • Options
    It is true that new owners like me ( 1 yr old owner)of galants do like to come out and say how we enjoy our car , but that's true .. we are just sharing how good we feel about it ..

We all know some people do get bad cars that break in few months , but those people also come out here and say DO NOT BUY GALANT ! , why? I don't know .. but we all respect their voice, as we should also have the respect when we say BUY IT !

I do have said lots of time, If you want proven reliability go for the camry or accord, I recommend those 2 also, since lots of my family have them and are really good !
  • Options
    tim007tim007 Member Posts: 1
    I have to commute 150 miles each day just to go to work. My Galant (model S) got 170,000 miles already. It is actually more reliable than I thought. There are not much big ticket repairs over the last 6 years. I will probably consider to buy a new Galant soon! It's worth the $.
  • Options
    hounddog1hounddog1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had two Honda Accords a 1983 and a 1990. I wanted to try something a little different. I rode the Galant several times and even though it was nice except for some wind noise it just didn't win me over. I tried an Altima, comfortable but not as much head room or shoulder room that I was use to. Camry up next, nice room 134 HP but the back seat was smaller than what I was use to. I tried the Accord, solid 150 HP more room than any of them and while I didn't get the gingerbread moonroof and keyless remote that a Galant would have offered at the same price or a keyless remote that the Camry had; I got more room, more horsepower, better resale value and a very solid car for the price. I tried to get something different but for the money it was a no brainer.
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    I went out on a blind date the other night who ended up being a really beautiful sweetheart of a lady. The interesting thing was that when we both walked out to go to my car, she instinctively walked over to a parked Mitsubishi Galant (which was not my car but my neighbors). What made it more interesting was that the car I walked up to was my new Nissan Maxima. I mean, this lady thought that I was a really classy guy driving a Galant. So to make a long story short, she refused to go in my Maxima because she didn't like the look of the rear end. Luckily, my neighbor was home and I got to borrow his car. My blind date then told me that if I traded in my Maxima for a new Galant, she would go out with me again. Guess what? I went to the Mitsubishi dealer the next day...
  • Options
    cmanginecmangine Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody had a problem with the weird placement of the cupholders in the center console? I am looking at the Galant for my first new car, and although the front cupholder is free and clear, the rear one rests in the inconvenient location right UNDER the armrest. Please let me know if this is just a fluke of a particular model and it's been changed, or if this has been consistent throughout all models. Thanks!
  • Options
    with the cupholders, I only can drink so much while driving so its no issue for me. My 2000 Es is getting new 16 inch rims with Dunlop D60 as 225/50/16 tires soon. I just dont seem to like my 15 in factory Eagle LS too much. The total cost with tax and labor is about 875.00 from Sears with everything on Sale price. I would have loved to get Toyo tires but the Nasdaq took that buying spree away so I had to settle for H rated tires. I think the 4 cylinder is fun as hell, I like a little more rev sounds to my drive. I have a v6 Camry while great, is kind of boring in a good way since its so quiet. Too bad, Mitsu didnt offer a 5 speed at all.
  • Options
    raziellerazielle Member Posts: 2
    I am -->||<-- this close to buying a 2001 GTZ this week. Prices I'm looking at are from 21,800 to Edmund's TMV:22,408. What's the best anyone has seen? I have never owned a Mitsubishi before, my friend has an eclipse that he loves but he says that it loses pick-up after a couple of years. Also, i have seen it mentioned in several posts....what exactly is bad about the windshield being slanted? I'm pretty rough on cars, aside from regular oil changes, I haven't had a good maintenance record on my previous cars. I hope to be nicer to my new car, but I probably will slack off once it's not brand new anymore - should I reconsider the Galant and look for something more low-maintenance? Anyone have any advice before I leap? Anything I should be leary of on the GTZ compared to the other Galants?
  • Options
    To me a windshield that is slanted cuts into visibility. I have test driven many 2000 cars that have more " upright" windshields and to me I can see more out so I get a more spacious feel to the car. The Atima and Protege are too of the best for visibility and to me the Galant while has a real good seating position and seats have only a fair view out front. The worst offenders are the tarus, sable and the Buick LeSabre. So far my 2000 Es only 1 problem, keyless and power locks went out and fixed under warranty. Besides that not a thing has gone wrong in 10k. Interior room is only drawback to the Galant, I should have got a Volvo for room but I dont think you can get a V70 for 18,000!!
  • Options
    mikef10mikef10 Member Posts: 2
    For what it's worth, we bought a Galant GS in 1989. My wife drove it until last year when I bought her a 2000 Diamante. I now drive the Galant. It has almost 150K miles on it. The car still looks good and runs very well. In fact, it still goes like a bat outta hell. Our car has a 5 speed, and it still shifts flawlessly. It was our Galant's reliability that convinced us the Diamante would also be a very good car. We have had the D now for just over a year, and we have not been dissapointed.

Mikef
  • Options
    4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    After almost six months, I am still happy with the Galant ES V6. Its acceleration, build quality, handling, steering, and cargo space is great. I love driving the car. I have no complaints with the windshield, I don't know what is causing the fuss.

I have a question about the trip odometer. How do you actually set it? I am trying to test my fuel mileage.

People who think that Mitsubishis have suspect quality are really missing a treat. No problems from my fantastic car!

I am still a happy Galant owner.
  • Options
    marcinmarcin Member Posts: 64
    If you just press the black button once it will switch between trip meter A, B, or odometer. For example, select trip A and hold a button for 2-3 seconds. It will reset itself to zero. Very easy and convenient, I use it all the time.
    My mileage was usually around 28 and now I am barely making 22mpg. But it's all correct. I live in Chicagoland and our cold weather causes it.

Wake up and drive...
    marcin :)
  • Options
    I have a 2000ES 4cyl, Silver Metallic. 15,000 miles on it. Runs great, looks great, rides great! I just think it is an awesome car! No complaints at all. I see that Mitsu is selling 20,000 more Gallants at this time then they did last year. Looks like they are going to sell between 90,000 - 95,000 Gallants this year. Go to www.autosite.com for comparisons. Way to go Mitsu and keep making a great automobile like the Gallant really is! I'm very satisfied with my purchase!
  • Options
    I was just so excited about putting my message on here that I mis-spelled the name of my car. Can you believe that! It is GALANT not GALLANT. I feel stupid I did that even though I spell checked myself!
  • Options
    whackowhacko Member Posts: 96
    It's okay that you misspelled the name of your car. Afterall, you are only human, full of imperfections like everyone else. The important thing is to accept the realization that it won't be the last misspelled word you will write. However, I want you to know that I forgive you for your unintentional error and that I accept your apology. Have a nice day today...