Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,678
    Hey everyone,
    I'm just curious who in the forum has the highest mileage Intrepid? Anybody hit 100K yet with an older model? I have a co-worker with a '98 ES that has about 80K on it, and no problems so far.
    -Andre
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    Hi Intrepid folks. Just posted over at the R/T forum. It sure has gotten quiet. Got an opinion question for you guys and realize that the resident negative poster will have to throw his 2 cents in (he won't be able to resist some smart a** comment). Why do you think that Intrepids "seem" to draw less car enthusiast support (at least as evidenced by participation in the Edmunds forums as compared to the 300M forum)? I am a car enthusiast-always have been and I sense that several of you all are also. It is strange to me that the Intrepid and Intrepid R/T forums stay so unused relative to the 300M forum. After the count up to 1000 posts incident on that forum where I and several of you were made to feel unwelcome, I am determined to not post there even if I do have something worth while to contribute. I choose to attempt not to respond to rudeness because I know I will respond in kind and cause a flame war. At any rate, do you guys have any thoughts on the seeming lack of enthusiast interest in our big cruisers?
    Kelly
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    Maybe the lack of "enthusiast interest" is because most owners aren't like us, and are content just to have a reasonably well performing, stylish and at least for me, high quality vehicle. I for one love my ES, but would sure like to have better acceleration, even above and beyond the RT and 300M. Unfortunately, I imagine that won't happen, just because most Intrepid owners aren't interested.

When I owned my 98 Pontiac GTP coupe I was amazed at the wealth of excellent discussion forums, technical expertise and aftermarket modifications available for that car, even just a few months after the new model's introduction in 97.

Like most everyone here, I too lurk in the 300M room for several reasons- one because my parents have an early production 99 300M, and because I have this incredibly optimistic hope that some kind of significant performance modification will be developed for the 300M that might "trickle down" to our vehicles. I am surprised that there has been such a dearth of performance mods for the 300M. Other than drop in air filters and dual exhausts, there doesn't seem to be much hope. I am thinking, however, that I might try those blue neon lights that one guy put under his 300M "for an extra element of surprise." Those lights apparently allow it to consistently outdrag Mustang GT's.

Anyway, just my ideas.

Dave
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    roadwar et al...

i think the 300m folks stick to themselves because they know deep down that a fully loaded es intrepid is a much better value than the 300m! i drove a 300m about a year ago before i bought my 00 es and really couldn't justify the extra expense of the 300m.

anyway, i suspect that many people who buy intrepids aren't too much interested in 0-60 times or the latest mods. the intrepid is pretty much a mainstream car while the 300m has perhaps a bit more cache'. but, for a mainstream car, the intrepid sure has excellent styling!
    I appreciate hearing you guys' opinions on this and I tend to agree with what you've said. I consider all Intrepids to be performance sedans because of their excellent handling and high tech engines (notice I didn't include the transmissions). I think the 300 has been something of a phenomenon (spelling?) that has gotten ahead of the performance aftermarket somewhat. I wonder if the aftermarket manufs. didn't doubt that a market for parts would even exist. I think some stuff will be coming from a few specialty suppliers. Let's hope so. I'm like you davidu....definitely going to add the neon under my Intrepid. It's obviously good for a full second in the quarter ;)
    I was thinking about my earlier post while working outside while ago and realized that the most popular forums on Edmunds only have 20 to 30 regular posters. So, I realize there are still vast numbers of owners of all makes that aren't aware of or don't even care about the forums except perhaps when they experience some problem that they think someone else may know about. Oh well, enough of my ranting. You guys take care.
    Kelly
  • pharmdpharmd Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking at the Intrepid for some time now. I've test drove several models many times and really enjoyed them, and now I am at the point where I need to buy a new/used car. I really like the looks and room offered by the Intrepid, but I am at a cross roads. Pricing wise I noticed the Honda's were about the same, so for curiosity sake I drove an Accord V6 and then minutes later an Intrepid 2.3L (about same horsepower and torque). The accord was quieter and more responsive; however, I prefer the interior of the Intrepid. I know this is like asking the Ford dealership if I should by a Chevy, but I thought you guys might be able to give me more reasons to stick with the Intrepid. Win me over guys. I need some good opinions.
    -Jeff
    i'm assuming that according to your post you compared the 2.7l intrepid with the accord v/6??

all i can say is that i test drove an accord coupe v/6 last summer and found it to have a little heavier/better weighted steering but the v/6 didn't seem to have near as much snuff as my 98 3.2l intrepid had. out on the highway my intrepid felt much more lively when tromped. also, road noise in that coupe was comparable to my 98 intrepid. to make a long story short, driving the accord reaffirmed why i continue to go back to intrepids when i trade. to date i've owned a 96, 98 and currently a 00.
  • x1262x1262 Member Posts: 7
    The Intrepid was introduced as a 1993 model. The current model shares the same basic design along with the same basic original problems. The design has become dated, ask your sales rep and he will probably inform you the "looks" and "quality" are the reasons sales continue to fall for that model.

I also supply my email address and will supply a printout of repair history to my current Intrepid.

BTW the current Intrepid will be my last fling with Daimler Chrysler, very poor product.
    thanks emale. Yes I did type that incorrectly. That darn #3 key! (that is the base Honda engine) It was the 2.71 I drove. Have you had a car with that engine and what did you think? I have an opportunity to pick up a 98, 2.71, with 53,000; perfectly maintained and for only $11,300. Like I said before, I am not sure about the engine and the miles are a bit of a concern. My last (now dead) car was a Honda accord which I drove into the ground at around 220,000 miles. Do you think I can expect close to the same from an Intrepid w/o major work/overhauls?
  • 2000trep2000trep Member Posts: 30
    blue neon... haha, you guys crack me up!
    I just realized! We misunderstood what the 300 owner was saying....he didn't put neon under the car....he put a Neon under the car! The extra 130 hp pulling along with his existing 253 would explain the Mustang GT whopping ability. My faith in humanity is restored, but I still can't figure how he got the Neon under there. Do you think if I removed my back seat, I could fit a Neon under my Trep so that I too could have the Mustang whipping capability?????
    LOL
    Kelly
    I can see myself at the traffic light now: "watch it bud, I've got a Neon under this thing!"
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Hey, don't let one person in the 300M topic area discourage you from posting there! Just ignore him. I agree that the group has changed in the 26 months that I've been there, but it shouldn't stop you from asking questions. The LH cars are all the same- same parts, same assembly plant/line, same people building them etc.

fastdriver

PS Mmmmmm........Neon under the car?? Wonder if that would make my car shift better? LOL.....
    "One spare (Neon) transmission under the car is worth two in the bush"
    pharmd,

i've never owned an intrepid with the 2.7l engine, but i had a rental one time that had that engine. i must say the 3.2l feels quite a bit spunkier.

as for long term durability, as you probably know, the accord has a better track record according to various indices. however, contrary to post# 176 (troll), this latest generation intrepid is much changed from the first generation. just to name a few changes; totally new body, new suspension bits, entirely new engines...etc. anyway, if indeed you got 220k miles out of your accord you are a lucky man. as a local mechanic recently said to me, the cars today just aren't built like they used to be. i'm not talking about precision here but i'm talking about individual parts. things like suspensions and trannies just aren't built as soundly as they used to be, if they were they would be far too heavy and consume too much fuel. have fun and don't sweat the details so much...
    Comparison Accord to Intrepid

Accord will cost $184.00 less for fuel yearly based on 15,000 miles 1.46 per gallon 45% hwy 55% city. TheAccord also produces 1.7 tons less annual GHG emissions.

NHTSA and IIHS rates the Accord as good . Intrepid gets an average / marginal rating.

TSB Accord 18 Intrepid 26
    Recalls Accord 1 Intrepid 4

Intrepid 200,000 without major problems, you could think that only if you expect the snow to be green this winter.

200,000 miles expect to have problems with the electrical, a/c, heater, steering, suspension, motor, transmission, seat, and almost any component you can think of. The Dodge product is not designed for long term reliability.

I did read in a previous post though that the Intrepid does make a good big load pizza delivery vehicle.
    Emie good for you to admit the new Intrepids aren't as good as the old ones, now that is really progress. Just how long is the Intrepid transmission designed to function properly one day two days three days etc etc etc????

Hey, I never thought of it that way- what a difference a capitalized "N" can make!!

I'm going with the Neon idea- off to the junkyard to find a battered one with a good motor- maybe one of the previous models with the 150 horse motor!!
    I suspect to get a Neon under an "M" (or a trep for that matter), you would need quite a lift kit! Can't say I've ever seen a Monster "M" or 'Trep. :)
    Intrepid with biggest possible engine in front, at least 132 horse Neon engine in back seat(driving rear wheels), blue neon lighting underneath, monster mudder tires for clearance (and panache), 300M emblems for class and Mustang frightening ability, and x1262 as my chauffeur.
    Woo Hoo!
    Sign me up.
    Kelly
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    All these reliability issues can be said about DC, but this is outrageous, but of course they weren't DC car's, the were Chevy's.

Check it out:
    http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    My brother, in Florida, owns a 1995 Intrepid with about 135K miles on it, and still works well. Has needed some major maintenance (A/C compressor, some fuel line problems where the plastic melts or something, and his tranny blew at 70K, but he states that the tranny was his fault because he ignored some warning signs to get it checked), but he likes the car.
    jeffie (x1262),

i you need to put on your glasses and read my post again. i never said that the new intrepids are less reliable than the previous generation. what i said in so many words is that new transmissions, etc (doesn't matter if it's an intrepid or accord) aren't as bulletproof as say an old chrysler 727 tranny. that's just the way it is...all manufacturers have skimped on the parts that receive the most abuse. just ask any mechanic who has worked on cars for 20 years.
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    It seems as if the resident crybaby is back! Just when you think someone has gotten over a bad experience, they just keep crying like a little girl!

Anyway, to whoever is looking at a 98 model, you might be able to get a 99 for a similar price since the intrepid has flooded the rental market recently. Look at the Kelly Blue Book site and it will tell you the trade and retail values of the intrepid. You'll be suprised at how low the trade value is. Not complaining, it was just kind of suprising to discover that the car is valued at about 1/2 of what I paid for it. Hope everyone is enjoying their cars. Any opinions?
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Following from "emale" posts
    the cars today just aren't built like they used to be. what i said in so many words is that new transmissions,etc (doesn't matter if it's an intrepid or accord) aren't as bulletproof as say an old chrysler 727 tranny.

From the above, even without glasses, and presumimg the Intrepid is indeed a car, the above sentence could read. The Intrepids ain't built like they use to be baby!!

Re coach and trade values. If the Intrepids depreciate at such an alarming rate at what point would they reach a negative value?? After my attempt to trade my first Intrepid I quickly realized the true market value on a used one was in the same ball park as a Yugo or Lada.

BTW coach don't be so hard on yourself no one would call you a cry baby for not being an Intrepid cuddler. Wipe away the tears its only a car, when the time comes replace it with a good Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, VW, Kia, or anything but a Daimler Chrysler product. As you can see from above even the resident DC cuddler agrees that DC just doesn't make them as good as they use to.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    It's unfortunate that your therapist is on vacation for the summer. It's equally unfortunate that, somewhere along life's journey, you discovered that negative attention is better than no attention. When will you realize that you have lost credibility and validity as a contributing member of this forum?
    Your emissions and gas mileage comparison is clever, but unremarkable for it's "apples to oranges nature" since both vehicles meet REQUIRED emissions standards whether or not one is an LEV and one is ULEV. Your recall and tsb comparison is equally ill contrived--not taking account the original post I challenged with domestic makes. And you STILL have not been able to clear up the drivel that you put out over a year ago, when we first met. In short...while you occasionally get the attention you so desperately appear to need--it's in the form of ridicule, derision, and sympathy. More's the pity I suppose.
    truer words never spoken.
    This really applies to everything, from electronic appliances, furniture, automobiles, lawn equipment...you name it. When emale said "cars today just aren't built like they used to be", I think he was generally refering to the typical 80's/90's car vs the typical 50's/60's/70's car, or 80's car using 70's technology. In addition to my 2000 Intrepid, I also have a 1989 Plymouth Gran Fury with 112,000 miles, a 1968 Dodge Dart with 337,000 miles, and a 1957 DeSoto. I also have a 1967 Pontiac Catalina convertible and used to have a 1979 Chrysler Newport. I can attest that, with every newer generation of cars, they have found ways to cheapen them. They roll the sheetmetal thinner, put more plastics in them, use lighter suspension components, etc...but they have to, in the interests of fuel economy. My Intrepid easily gets 19-20 mpg in city driving. The other cars I mentioned would all get about 13, except for the Pontiac, which gets about 10. The only one that would easily break 20 mpg on the highway was my '79 Newport.

As for emissions output, when I ran my Newport through the emissions test back in 1997, it passed with no problem...and this was a car I bought from the junkyard, with 230,000 miles on it. Here are the results...

HC CO CO2
    State: 470ppm 5.00pct 6.0pct
    Newport 162ppm 0.03pct 14.5pct

If a junkyard car can do this well, I'm sure that most new cars are so clean that any discrepancies between them would be negligible.

Now I know my Intrepid will never live to be as old as my DeSoto, my Dart, or maybe even my Gran Fury. It's just too complicated, has too much plastic, and too many electronic things that can go wrong. These are just features with any new car, and they will count against it as the car ages. It's not any inherent fault with DC, it's just the way they everybody builds 'em nowadays.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    this is verbatim from chryslercars.com Concorde|features|perfomance web page:
    LXi´s 225-horsepower 3.2-liter 24 valve V6 is equipped with a
    three-plenum intake manifold for optimum wide-open throttle
    power at high speed. Fuel economy is 20 city, 29 highway.
    (Actual mileage may vary.)

LX´s 2.7-liter 24-valve V6 sports smooth-running dual overhead
    camshafts and delivers 200 horsepower, making it one of today´s
    most efficiently potent engines. Fuel economy is 18 city, 26
    highway. (Actual mileage may vary.)

Should someone write these guys and tell them their data is bass-ackwards?

Anyway, just got back from Vegas (flew - didn't drive). But did ride in many cabs including a '96 Concorde with 370K miles!!! - driver said he thought it was on its second engine; and a '98 Concorde with 130K miles - driver said it has been a great car, no problems.

I think taxi driving in HOT DESERTS can be added to the list of other uses (police pursuit and pizza delivery via Andre) as a rigorous test of the durability of any car.
    I personally wouldn't buy a 'trep or any other car that was once a rental car. Too many people get them and proceed to drive the @#$% out of them.

That's my 2 cents.
    personally, I wouldn't brag about 18/26 out of a V-6 engine. The EPA on your average late 80's GM mid-size or full size V-8 was about that! I remember the window sticker on my 2.7 saying 20/29, but I thought the 3.2 was only a bit less, like 19/29 or 19/28.

Good to see the LH cars are holding up well as taxi cabs. Here in MD, it seems the cabbies still prefer Caprices and Crown Vics, but I have seen an Intrepid or 2. I recall hearing about some cabbie up in Canada that had a 1962 Dodge Dart cab, that had close to a million miles on it. It was just about to hit a million when it was totaled in an accident. I heard that Chrysler gave him a new Intrepid for making such a milestone.
    jason,

once again, with elegance, you have been able to succinctly put in words what we are all thinking. good job!

andre,

pretty much agree with you. alot of things aren't built like they used to be. and for the record i'm not saying that an intrepid or accord can't be driven 300k miles, they certainly could. what i am saying is that these cars would likely need more serious/major repair than say a 64 polara being driven the same distance. oh well, at least the new ones are betting at avoiding the rust bucket problems of old!
    seems to validate a pet theory of mine that goes something like this: A larger capacity(within reason) engine with higher torque will often get better fuel mileage than a smaller "more stressed" engine in the same vehicle. I'm not a physicist but I imagine there's a scientific reason for this. Additionally, the larger engines are often geared lower (numerically) and turn less rpms (and burn less gas). The last sports coupe I owned was a Chevy Z28 with 350 V8 (275 HP) and six speed manual trans. I routinely got 26-27 mpg on the highway with it. The engine was never strained in normal driving. It also had .6 to 1 top gear ratio which acted as an overdrive. The engine loafed along at 1500 to 1600 rpms at 65 miles per hour. I am able to get 25 mpg (best so far) with the 3.5 liter in my Intrepid. I'm just happy that performance and economy can coexist with modern vehicles.
  • coachditkacoachditka Member Posts: 11
    What I mean is that since the Intrepid has flooded the rental market, the retail value of our intrepids is lower than if there was not the mass amount of them in rental fleets. Dealers will buy from rental companies to fill the used car lot. So sometimes, the used cars were once rentals, so buyers beware! Just something to think about. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    coachditka-

Probably the BEST thing to do BEFORE buying a used one is to have the dealer run the VIN number through the Chrysler computer to see what work has been done on the car and if and when it was serviced at the dealer. I would imagine that this would be a good idea for ANY used car before buying it. Just make sure that you're right there watching as the results come up! ;-))

fastdriver
    I don't think I've ever stirred up so many people in my life. Kind of like throwing a rock at a hornets nest. Any way I enjoyed the format in which many of you were able to provide me with info (albeit somewhat subjective). I agree with emale though, these cars today might have more "technology" built into them but the old guys just knew how to make them--in some areas. I won't disagree that many things are better now then they ever have been. And concerning the low resale--heck that's one of the most attractive aspects to me. Not everyone can or wants to buy new, and for those of us that buy and keep it till it dies (200K+)-a good car for little money is the best way to go. As others have said there is going to be some bad apples in every make of car just some more than others. I think the intrepid can hold its own though!
    I feel the need....the need for neon (or Neon)!
    Have a good weekend everybody.
    I'll try not to respond but you folks will have to help me be aware of all his/her "identities" since I haven't been posting here long.
  • phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    I have a Y2K Intrepid. Purchased in early December 1999. About 14,800+ miles on it now. I experienced the flickering light problem on serveral occasions with the ATC on or off; and only me in the car. No luggage. Sometimes sitting at a traffic light, other times while the car is in motion. All occurences after dusk. The dash lights would flicker from normal to very bright, back to normal a few times. Sometimes the dash would stay bright for 10-15 seconds before I turned the lights off, and then back on again. Never checked to see if the headlights went out when this happened.

Bringing in the car on Thursday morning for 15K service. I'll mention the flickering problem at that time and see what they have to say.

Just thought I'd mention my experience.
    I just can help rising to the bait of the trolling troll. But, I'll try to keep my posts on topic.

I would also like to see and drive the next gen Sebrings - been trying to talk the SO into getting one. I think they are supposed to be out in a few weeks. I would really like the convertible - but I'm not sure what Chrysler was thinking with the Limited version (a royal blue top?!?!?).
    I've been meaning to pose this question to you guys. I was wondering what (if any) advantage there is to running your a/c in the fresh air setting (as opposed to the recirculating setting). I'm aware that starting off in a hot car you can cool the air (seemingly) quicker in the recirculating mode. But, is there a performance or mpg advantage to setting it to the fresh air mode after the air in the cabin has cooled. BTW, I do not have the automatic system in my 'Trep.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    The answer to that one is straightforward...you can recognize him/her by the tone. There's also another simple rule--if sounds "too bad to be true"--then it probably is. Like a bad penny, he keeps returning and likely will.
    FRITO--Ran by another dealership last evening. They had about 6 2001 Town & Countries. Two of them were loaded Limiteds--very impressive. One of the detailers let me crawl around in one and couldn't keep himself from activating the power doors and liftgate. It is an impressive machine. That same dealer had 4 Sebring coupes (one with V6) that were nice looking. Still no sedans or convertibles though. You see any? I will tell you this--the T & C Limited with the light blue exterior and dark blue leather interior was sharp!
    I think the only difference between the recirc and fresh air modes is that the outside air is cut off in recirc. This is helpful if you encounter bad smells like a dead skunk, etc. From a strictly performance standpoint recirc would probably be more efficient and eventually cause the ac compressor to cycle less because of not having to continually dehumidify outside air. I guess the "recycled" air would eventually grow stale. I think the manufacturers are concerned with the potential for an exhaust leak to be concentrated in a cabin in recirculate mode and therefore recommend the use of fresh air mode whenever possible.
    I think roadwar is right about the recirc vs fresh settings. Also, the musty smell that can happen is often from running in recirc mode too much. So
    I guess it is a good idea to run in fresh mode for at least a few minutes towards the end of the drive to somewhat flush the system out. But, this may also depend on the ambient humidity. Also, it is a good idea to run the a/c system for at least 5 min every 3-4 wks - YES even in the dead of WINTER!!! This, I've been told, is important to help prevent leaks from developing in the system.

DC13.5 - I'm glad you are taking all of this in jest! But, I can think of an appropriate GESTURE (you know the one with the middle digit?) when I pass your broken-down Jetta on the shoulder.
    so, you have had the "musty" smell envelope you when you first turn on your a/c too? anyone else? i just noticed this about a week ago and thought i was pulling it in from something inside my garage.
    No, I get the smell too, even here in dry as a bone Wyoming where "humid" means anything over 20%!!

Smell usually goes away after 10 seconds or so.
    I think most car ac systems have this to some extent. It's supposed to orginate from mildew forming in the ductwork.
    Hey gang,

I've never really gottten a musty smell in the car, but sometimes theres a scent that smells like powdered cement...happens in both summertime and wintertime. I thought it was weird, but I have a friend with a '98 Tracker that he says does the same thing. I've never smelled anything like that out of an a/c system, though.

Most of the older cars I've dealt with had a button for a/c, and another one labelled "max a/c" or some variant. I think the Max a/c is the same thing as the recirc on the newer cars.
    -Andre
    hey jason,

i haven't seen any stratus or sebring sedans yet either. i did spy an 01 t&c but from a distance and really don't have an opinion yet. the stratus coupe, imo, is a looker! i'll bet the sebring coupe is nice too but as of yet haven't seen one!

the rest of the crowd,

as for a/c musty smells, every vehicle i've ever owned that contained a/c has given off a musty smell for the first few minute or so of operation after having been "off" for awhile. my 00 intrepid and 99 ranger both do it.
    davidu,

i really haven't seen any good info on 01 intrepids altho i did read "somewhere" that side airbags will be an option as will leather on the r/t. i think they also may have changed some of the interior colour combination. someone here mentioned ordering an r/t with "taupe" leather! there were also supposed to be some changes to enhance quietness but i don't have any idea what they are. hope your not burnin' up in wy!