Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the info. Maybe some of the new quiet comes from tires other than the Badyear GA's.

Thankfully the relatively small fires around here have been extinguished pretty quickly, but the Red Lodge Montana fire making U.S. headlines is a big concern, since it's a close and popular getaway for our part of the state.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I live in South Carolina but I had the "smell" once this summer when I had the 'Trepid in PA. I don't think it has to do with humidity, because there aren't places much more humid than Charleston SC. It lasted maybe 10 seconds and was gone. Hasn't happened since. I've heard that a lot of cars occasionally do this, depending on what is rotting in any standing moisture in the system at the time.

Up to 20,400 miles on the 99 ES. Still like it a lot. Only problems have been that all the power window motors went south. Haven't had any of the new motors go bad, though. The dealer took care of each one as it went. It seemed to happen just before the next oil and filter change was due, so we killed 2 birds with one trip each time. Actually 2 motors were replaced at the same time on one occasion.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    I wonder how long it's going to take me to kill my power window motors. When I'm driving, I can't leave them alone...I'm always adusting them, especially when I deliver pizzas.

Smithed, that scares me that all 4 of yours have already been replaced! And I have more miles than you (about 23,500)! Oh well, at least it's still under warranty.
    -Andre
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    Andre you must really have to vent the 'trep when some knucklehead orders anchovies on his/her pizza ;-). No wonder your window motors are well broken in and never a musty smell! I love the smell of pepperoni in the morning.

I've heard that an easy way to defeat the musty smells (for at least a while) is to turn the a/c on to max and fresh and then spray some Lysol (or other aerosol disinfectant) into the intake and then switch to recirc.
    I had the front passenger window motor replaced about two weeks ago, with just over 20,000 miles. Other than the driver's window, I hardly ever use the others, so I have no idea why it just quit (thankfully in the up position. Maybe the failures come from lack of use rather than too much!
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Side airbags,leather,colors are new and optional plus "refinments"
  • 2000trep2000trep Member Posts: 30
    thanks for all the feedback on the brief musty smell. i had no idea this "problem" was so wide-reaching. i have never noticed it in any other car i've owned until the 'Trep... and that includes a chevy blazer, a toyota camry, 2 honda civics, and a ford f-150. i don't live in a REAL humid area now (south central ks), but previously i lived in a VERY humid area (s.e. tx). strange that it happens.
    Hey gang,

I was just looking through the Intrepid's owner's manual, and noticed that on schedule "B", the heavy duty one, and it says that the differential fluid should be replaced at 15K miles. Oops! I have about 23,500 on it now! Is that anything major?

It surprised me, too, because I didn't think fwd cars had differentials...I thought the tranny and differential were combined into one piece called the "transaxle".

I figured I'd just wait until it hits 30K miles and take it in and have them do the differential fluid and the power steering fluid at the same time. Should this be too much of a problem, stretching it out till then?

I also noticed that the book says the timing belt doesn't have to be replaced until 100K miles? Is this true? I always thought they were pretty chancy after about 60K.

Just curious...
    -Andre
    When it comes time to take my Intrepid in for its fluid changes, would I be better off going to the dealer, or just a local garage? There's a local shop I've dealt with for years, ever since I got my first car, and they've always been honest, trustworthy, and reliable. They've worked on all of my other cars, but I wonder if the Intrepid is too high-tech for them? Although I guess a fluid change is a fluid change.

My dealer hasn't given me reason not to trust them, but I'm sure the local shop would be cheaper, and it's a lot closer. Plus, my roommate, who has a '98 Tracker, has been having problems with repairs he's had done at his dealership, so that's putting bad thoughts in my mind...
    -Andre
    At 15,000 miles, I had the differential fluid changed in my 99 Intrepid. The differential (which the manual states is part of the "transaxle") takes the power from the transmission and engine and routes it 90 degrees to the front wheels. While it appears to be part of the transmission, it does not use automatic transmission fluid. My Intrepid was serviced with 80W90 gear oil, about 24 ounces if memory serves correct. The dealer recommended changing it every 15,000 miles- cost for my dealer to do it was about $25.

You might want to check with the dealer about a TSB regarding a redesigned vent tube for the differential- I'm sorry i don't know the TSB number. I had the new vent installed on my Intrepid after it belched an ounce or so of fluid after I apparently managed to force some water into the old vent while washing the underside at a car wash.

Regarding the timing belt- I'm of the personal belief that it should be replaced on a regular basis sooner than specified in the manual. I don't know the details of the Intrepid's engine designs, but some engines do not have adequate clearance between the valves and the pistons if the timing belt breaks. In some engines, a failed belt won't result in any internal damage, but in others, a failed belt can result in valves impaling themselves in the piston head.

Better to replace the timing belt (or any belt for that matter) too early rather than too late.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    andre and davidu,

interesting discussion about the trep differential. a chrysler tech i met on usenet has been nice enough to answer any questions i might have about my intrepid. and, i did ask him not too long ago about servicing the differential. he said that as a rule at his dealership they don't ever change the diff grease unless the car sees severe duty (andre, you might fit the bill). he also went on to say that even tho some 99s and all 00 treps have tranny fluid (atf+4) good for 100k miles, he'd still change it around 60k. i also asked him if chrysler had ironed out all the problems with this particular tranny and he said that in the past few years tranny problems have really decreased. due mostly to better electronic control (torque management) and better tranny fluid. he went on to say that the minivan tranny (41te - te for transverse electronic) still sees some problems because of its somewhat weak tranny-diff connection. the 42le (le for logitudinal electronic) in the trep has a much stronger and better lubricated diff and apparently sees far fewer problems. anyway, i'll have to ask him about the timing belt thing. later...
  • americanpride1americanpride1 Member Posts: 6
    You Intrepid owners aren't alone. My 98 Durango with only 23K miles has had the regulators and motors replaced 7 times on 3 trips to the dealer. This isn't the same dealer either. I started in Texas and am now in Nebraska. They must use the same design even though I was told the first time that they are an "improved" design. Since I'm here I'll ask a question, especially to any of you 98 Intrepid owners. Do any of you have problems with your clearcoat? I was wondering if this is just a problem with the Durango or if it is a Dodge problem or more specifically a problem they had in the 1998 model year. The slightest thing will etch the clearcoat to a point where I cannot remove even after using a prep/swirl reducer, polish, and wax. Bird droppings have etched it in less than 4 hours. Even my dog's saliva when he sticks his head out the window will etch the clearcoat. This seems awfully sensitive. My previous car was a 96 Taurus and it had armored paint. Nothing hurt it at all.

Kerry
    ...not to trust them.
    I called them about changing the differential grease, and they're telling me there is no differential, that they just do a transaxle service and that's it. They also tried to sell me a "30,000 mile service package" which was basically a cooling system flush, transaxle flush, oil change, rotate the tires, replace the air filter and pcv valve, and change the spark plugs for something like $347.00.

But if the thing has long-life coolant and long-life spark plugs, why should they need to be changed so fast? The owner's manual also said the transaxle fluid should be changed around 50K miles.

The dealer also said changing the power steering fluid was a waste, but recommended putting an additive in it to make it last longer. Any opinions on that?

The local shop I deal with also recommended changing the transaxle fluid at around 30K, but also didn't know anything about servicing the differential separately, although they at least said they'd look into it (as opposed to refusing to admit the thing even exists like my dealer did). I think I'm just going to take it to the local garage, since they'll do what the car needs, and for a heck of a lot less.
    -Andre
    andre,

sounds like your dealership is trying to take you for a ride! just follow the owner's manual for the proper care of your car and you'll be fine. and, every car has a differential, i'd hate to try and make a turn in a car without one. can't even imagine what would happen!

i think the concept of a differential becomes harder to understand with fwd cars because you can't see it, per se, like you can with a rwd car. on fwd cars, the diff and tranny are usually housed in the same casing (called transaxle) but are still separate and have their own lubrication systems and lubricant.

kerry,

i'm presuming you probably have a dark colour? that's why i always buy light colours. but, no i haven't had any paint issues with my intrepids (96, 98 and 00). i did however lease a 97 ram back in 96 that had a bright spot on the box that required a repaint of one side of the box...
    Kerry, I've had no such problems with the finish on my '99 Concorde (bright platinum metallic clearcoat). After nearly 1 year, I learned of the Zaino line of products (Zainobros.com) from other forums here at Edmunds. I can testify that these polymer finish products are GREAT! The car is always garaged so there are few opportunities to get hit by birds, etc. But, when it has, these spots come right off with minimal effort and no residual damage to the finish. If you choose to use these products you will probably have to go the full remedial process (clay etc.) to fully prep the clearcoat. It is worth the effort and these products don't really cost that much more than others. These products are much better than polishing compounds (WILL DAMAGE THE CLEARCOAT!!) and waxes that are usually very ephemeral and don't bond with the clearcoat.

The few minor (superficial scratches) that have inevitably occurred to my clearcoat have been greatly minimized by the use of these products. I have also discovered that by using a large rubber eraser (pink pencil type) I can prep these scratches by removing the damaged clearcoat so that the Zaino blends into them much better than without the prep.
    My brother runs a tire shop and car repair facility. They have taken on doing this process where they suck absolutely all the fluid out of the tranny, put in some cleaner stuff (or maybe they do that first), then put in all new fluid. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea for the transaxle fluid change rather than just dropping the fluid out the bottom?
    My wife discovered our 'Treps first door ding. Put a pretty good divot into the plastic strip on the door AND scuffed the paint too. Why can't people watch what the $#%& they're doing???!!!
    andre and the rest of the gang,

concerning the 3.2/3.5l timing belt, my service tech buddy says to be sure and change it before 105k which is what the manual says. he recommends changing it by 90k just to be safe as both of these engines are not free-wheeling...meaning that if the belt breaks you'll likely have valvetrain and maybe even piston damage.
  • americanpride1americanpride1 Member Posts: 6
    emale,
    Where my Taurus had a pearl black finish my Durango has the straight black color. You can't beat that deep black when it's clean but they can be a "wee" bit more difficult to take care of.

frito,
    I've been using Meguir's Deep Crystal system for the prep and polish and then the gold class for wax. I do like Meguir's products a lot and have never had problems in the many years I've used them. I don't blame them for my problems because I used their products on my Taurus with absolutely no problems. I have heard a lot of talk about Zaino on Edmunds but I really don't know much about them. Just about everyone who talks about it endorses it but I need a little more than that before I want to put an "unknown" substance on my vehicle.

Thanks,

Kerry
    ...on the 2000 2.7? I bought one from a parts store, figuring I'd just put it on myself and save myself the hassle from a dealer that wants to lube my suspension and change my spark plugs at 30K miles. But I can't find where the dang thing goes! I figured it would just plug into the valve cover somewhere, but I can't see where it goes.

Any suggestions on where to put it? (be nice, now! ;-)
    -Andre
    boy, your dealership is a dandy one...ie they wanna lube a suspension that doesn't require any lubricant.
    HARD SELL! I used to use Classic hard carnauba wax on my cars with great results - but now I swear by Zaino - particularly on a clearcoat finish. I can now even see the slight irregularities in the surface of the sheetmetal where the roof was joined to the C-pillars! Somewhat of a dubious quality distinction for the cars 'fit' but it speaks volumes, IMHO, about the finish. Of course paint can vary wildly, and others have reported paint quality problems with Dodge vehicles.

Andre- I'll look up the pvc installation in my service manual if no one else responds in the meantime.
    Looks like you got the welcome mat pulled from under your feet in the 300M forum too. That guy sure doesn't have much patience with Intrepid owners being in that forum.
    ...whatever happened to the good old days when us Mopar guys always stuck together??
    those 300m guys are a funny lot!! they dither on and on about boring stuff like waxing their cars anyway so i only occasionally visit their barracks...
    there were days like that? i have been a long-time import owner, so i haven't paid domestics much attention in the past. but, after i finally did a little homework, i found out the intrepid has got to be one of the best values out there. LOTS of car for the money! i still believe honda and toyota build a superior product (quality-wise). but the quality alone wasn't enough to lure me this time. so much ROOM in these cars! and after researching, i determined that the quality in the new breed of intrepids was adequate (and the price was definitely right).

oops, looks like i rambled a bit! :)
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    are just mad because they realize the Intrepid is basically the same car as theirs and represents better value and performance for the money. I think they're really disturbed now that Chrysler has seen fit to stick the performance 300 drivetrain and suspension under a lowly Intrepid as the R/T option.
    Kelly
    I considered a 300 when I purchased my Intrepid, but I sure couldn't justify spending another $4,000 for not much more than heated memory seats and 28 more (now 25) more horsepower.

There's nothing more subjective than opinions on what's attractive and what's not, but I do like the way the 300 looks. I also really like my Intrepid's apprearance. Now the Chrysler LHS and Concorde, those are a different story, IMO.

Like I said, what one finds attractive is pretty subjective, but it's hard for me to get offended by some dude with purple neon lights under his 300 who thinks the Intrepid "ugly"!!
    for all interested, here are the changes to the 01' intrepids...

2001 Dodge Intrepid Feature Highlights

Note: The information shown is preliminary and based on data available at the time of publication.

MODELS

Base model renamed Dodge Intrepid SE

CHASSIS

Optional 16 x 7-inch Cast Aluminum Wheels for Intrepid SE [tentative]

BODY

New Windshield Pillar Moldings for Improved Water Management and Reduced Wind Noise
    New Colors - Black and Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl Coat (SE and ES only)
    Molded Key Heads with "Dodge" Ram Logo 2

INTERIOR

Split-Folding Rear Seat with Center Armrest and Armrest Cup Holders - Optional on SE and R/T
    New Venice Cloth Seats - Standard on ES
    Royale Leather and Vinyl Seats with Vinyl Door Appliqués - Optional on R/T
    New Colors - Dark Slate Grey and Taupe - All; Sandstone - SE and ES only
    Steering Wheel Audio Controls for Volume, Mode, Radio Frequency and Radio Station Presets Included with Infinity® Audio System

ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS

Additional Electrical Power Outlet in Center Console on Bucket Seat Models

SAFETY & SECURITY

Available Supplemental Side Air Bags(a) To Enhance Side-Impact Protection for Driver and Front Passenger
    Center Rear Seat Three-Point Seat Belt System
    Internal Emergency Trunk Release
    Remote Keyless Entry Key Fobs with "Dodge" Logo

(a) Certified to federal regulations that allow less forceful front air bags. Always use seat belts. Children 12 and under should always be in a back seat correctly using an infant or child restraint system, or a seat belt that is right for their age and size.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

2.7-, 3.2- and 3.5-Liter Engines Meet Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) Standards in All 50 States
    Ha Ha stop you're killing me.... getting me started on the neon under the 300 "for that added surprise effect" again. Having a classy car apparently doesn't guarantee that you're a classy person, does it? I think he's just tired from having to change the bulbs under the car every Friday before he goes out to impress the rest of us with his superior ride and driving skills.
    IS sharp. Let us know how pleased you are with it when you get it.
    The attitude of some of the 300 forum posters surprises me. What ever you do, don't confuse them with facts. That seems to bring out the beast in some.
    Like davidu says, styling is subjective....I also like both the 300 and the Intrepid. We here know that the two cars come down the same line and are basically the same. I think that human nature is such that if you've paid more for something, you convince yourself that what you got is better. The objective performance numbers between the 300 and the Intrepid say the cars are basically identical but that's a hard sell to folks who paid $5000 more for one.
    Thanks for the info on the 2001 Treps. Naturally they add the second power point after I buy mine.

And now (this is davidu's fault), with it being Friday and all, I feel the need, the need for neon or Neon under my Intrepid!!!!!
    Have a good weekend all.
    I've mentioned here before that my parents have an early production 99 300M, now with about 30,000 miles on it. I've driven it a number of times and I think the assertion that the 300M is of better build quality than an Intrepid is utter BS.

While my folks like their 300, it has had a number of "build" problems that have needed correction, far more than my lowly Intrepdi. The glove box door has been replaced twice due to faulty fit. The OEM windshield was replaced at 100 miles due to bubbling of the black edge trim and weather strip failures and the car has had several rattles corrected that certainly have not occurred in my Intrepid. The battery shorted internally at 5,000 miles and had to be replaced, and the OEM Eagle LS's were replaced under warranty with Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's due to the oft mentioned vibration.

Meanwhile, my newer Intrepid with about 21,000 miles has required one new power window motor, and that's IT. The doors close with an expensive thunk, the car has not one rattle, and overall, I'd say the build quality is BETTER than my parent's 300. In fact, after riding in my Intrepid a number of times, they're thinking of ditching their 300 for a 2001 Intrepid or Sebring Sedan.

Anyway, my point is (and I think I'm preaching to the choir, but bear with me)- 300M owners are paying for more features, NOT better quality.
    try to post that in the 300m conference, you'll get run out of town...!
    From what I read the last time one of us "lowly" Intrepid owners posted their, I'd probably get run out of there no matter what I posted!!

They've proably inhaled too much Zaino to understand anyway.
    today discussing the relative merits of the 99/00 tail lights versus the new 2001 tail lights with the clear lenses.
    Did the 2001 Intrepid info that you found mention lowered horsepower due to some of the engines meeting Federal "Low Emission Vehicle" standards? The 3.5 is down several horsepower. I wonder if the 3.2 and 2.7 are also?
    I'm not sure if the 300 group has decided yet which shade of neon coordinates best with the new 2001 tail lights. ;^)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    I hope you're not lumping us altogether in the 300 group! ;-)) I agree with all of you- the LH cars are basically all the same. Only the engines and features differ. There is no more quality care taken with the 300 as opposed to the other LH cars. Does anyone really think that when these cars are coming down the assembly line, the workers say- oh, here comes a 300M, slow down and make sure everything is better than the Intrepid! Yea, right.

If that was the case, then they must have all been hung over the day they built mine. ;-))

fastdriver
    roadwar,

not sure but will take a look later about the horsepower thing...
    Nah, only one of the 300 group didn't want us there....emale was brave and went ahead and said his piece....I was chicken and slunk back over here to my rightful place ;^) I'm just being silly with the neon thing....I promise I'll get it under control.
    emale, thanks, I am just curious about the hp thing, like I said earlier, it's making me glad I got the 2000. I'm all for clean air but lowering horsepower is a step backwards in my book.
    Kelly
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    roadwar-

Don't be a chicken! I think I know who you're referring to! He does get out of control sometimes with other members in the same group. I guess it's just his youthful exuberance that makes him fly off the handle! LOL....

fastdriver
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    SAFETY & SECURITY

Available Supplemental Side Air Bags(a) To Enhance
    Side-Impact Protection for Driver and Front
    Passenger
    Center Rear Seat Three-Point Seat Belt System

Above copied from emales post. Just one word difference between the Passat and Intrepid. DC has "available side air bags, with the Passat its standard. Lower HP to pass the emission tests country wide, interesting tatic. What "standard" items now become an option to keep the price basically same as 00?
    Guys,
    ]
    I looked at all 3 when I bought our 99 ES. The 300 is a classy car with a few more creature comforts. However, the extra $$$ didn't seem justified. We liked the way the Intrepid looked better than the Concorde. My wife, now age 46, didn't want to be seen in anything that resembles "Grandma's Car". We like the Intrepid at 20,000 miles. By the way the dealer is changing my oil and filter for $5.65 a pop. Pretty good deal, huh? The only extra service they have recommended is 15,000 mile transmission service.

Keep it shiny
  • miakmiak Member Posts: 2
    Last week my 98 ES transmission got stuck in 2nd gear. It turned out to be a bad transmission speed sensor. The car has 44,500 miles on it.

Anyone else with this problem?

It was a computer chip and it was under warranty. It cost $93.45
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Don´t worry,there is no major problem with it,but have you already changed the transmission oil and filter?
    Just make sure to use the "MOPAR" fluid.
    roadwar,

just checked on the 01' 3.2l engines output. it is 222 both horsepower and torque. that is down from 225 from last year. i guess that 50 states lev compliance thing is taking a bit of a toll. of more interest is the fact that highway gas mileage has dropped to 26! my 00' is rated 28! however, that said, 26 is still a couple more miles per gallon more than say a v/6 passat! i hope dc sees fit to stick a 5 speed autobox in the next generation intrepid, or sooner! i just discovered they are now putting one (5 speed auto)in the 01' grand cherokee!
    Thanks for the engine info. Looks like all of them will be down a couple of horsepower due to retuning for emissions. I'm still glad I bought when I did. Hope you're right on the transmission. They (DC) have got to be working on a five speed auto. The 42 LE transaxle is the oldest design major component in these cars. It's adequate but the competition is going to be fielding more and more five speeds in the next few years. If DC wants to be competitve, they'll have to do the same. I could go for a 2004 Intrepid with the styling of the ESX research car, the 3.5 with 250 hp, and a five speed auto/manual transaxle at a reasonable price.
  • faddahfaddah Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking at purchasing an Intrepid for a while. Now that the "end of the year clearance" inventory is being moved, I saw something too good to be true. Several dealers in the Detroit area are selling new 2000 base models for around $17,200. As I see the TMV on this site, they are still being sold for around $19k (which is near invoice price).

Are the rebates pushing the price below invoice so the dealers can move them out or is this too good to be true?
    Faddah,

The rebates are probably pushing the prices this low. But be careful, are these really new cars, and is that after down payment? Read the fine print and go for it.

I have a '99 ES and we like it. But I paid $25,000. Invoice for that model, and no rebate at that time.