Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    I went to my dealership last Thursday and told them about the flickering dash lights. They said that the 2 contacts under the switch that turn on the daytime dash and interior lights may be touching each other. The solution is to turn down the dash lights for a few seconds and then turn them back up. Another solution would be to just turn down the dash lights a little so that the contacts that cause the daytime dash lights to turn on (flicker) will not touch each other. The service guy I spoke to when I get my car serviced told me this. He also owns an Y2K Intrepid. The same exact one as mine in fact (ES), except in a different color.

I still think it's a flaw in design.
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    Don´t believe a word,for sure they didn´t speak a true word. Crap!

Try another dealer,it´s sounds crazy what they told you.
    Remind them your car has "FUSES",AND if any contacts will touch each other,the fuse will blow in a second.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Emale,

Wow... Enjoying a surprisingly cool burst of fall here in eastern PA. Hope everyone else had an enjoyable Labor Day weekend. Emale, where did you get that 2001 info--I didn't even see that much on Car-Truck.com? Regarding the 222 HP--in 1998, a car mag tested a CA emissions version of the 3.2 and it made 222HP.. Must be the same changes..

Just crossed 12,000 miles and doing well. CD changer is still on back order...nothing else of consequence to report.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    Appears from my diagrams to be just left, about 5-6 inches (looking aft) of the throttle body back near the firewall.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason,

found that info at this dc site...

www.media.daimlerchrysler.com

it was under the 2001 model info
    Thanks for the information--I'll check it out. It used to be possible to link to that resource directly from the homepage, but no longer. As far as the "other remarks"...let it go....
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    This is probably something most of you already know. I've read several posts elsewhere about the 300M being more fun to drive "because it's smaller" than the other LH cars. Knowing that it's built on the same platform and that it weighs the same, I didn't give it much thought but got to wondering exactly how much smaller it is. According to the info here on the edmunds site, the Intrepid is 203.7 inches long and the 300 is 197.8 for a really "big difference" of 5.9 inches. I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference from the driver's seat, what do youall think?
    The VW sixes get surprisingly poor gas mileage considering that they weigh what....500 pounds less than the typical LH car?
    roadwar,

and on premium fuel nonetheless...
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Thanks for the pcv valve info. I might go out during lunch and see if I can find the thing. BTW, I just hit 24,000 miles on Monday and no problems yet!!
  • 2000trep2000trep Member Posts: 30
    i saw one of your posts in another forum that your intrepid has back-lit cruise control buttons. is that an ES feature?
  • phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    I'll try another dealer and let you know the results.
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    Got my spoiler today from spoilers4less. The spoiler is one piece of molded, unpainted ABS, seems to be of high quality and weighs virtually nothing. Kit was $79.99 plus shipping and came with all gaskets, templates and stainless screws.

I set it on the trunk to see how it will look, and it fits perfectly. The horizontal curvature matches that of the trunk exactly, and the width is almost perfect, with about 1/16" of trunk top showing either side. It really seems to improve and accentuate the slight upward slope of the car's lines.

The view out the back is slightly affected, but if anything, the spoiler gives a good reference of where the [non-permissible content removed] end really is, which will hopefully make this thing easier to parallel park!!

Anyway, a body shop will be painting and installing the spoiler tomorrow. When I get the car back on Friday, I'll post some pics.

Dave
    congrats on the spoiler, davidu. that is the one i have on my car.

2000trep,

in reference to the backlit cruise control buttons. i was yankin a particular 300m owner's chain to try and get a reaction...and no mine aren't backlit.
    You guys are making me jealous with your high speed aerodynamic devices! When I get ready to get mine, that's the one I'll get also.

Any info on the neon backlit cruise control buttons would be greatly appreciated ;^)
    Kelly
    Hey gang,
    finally found the PCV valve. It's mounted sideways into the air intake on top of the engine (that swirly thing, for lack of a more technical term).

I guess my problem is that I had been looking on the valve cover gaskets, which is where they used to put 'em once upon a time.

All this talk about spoilers has me wanting one now, too! That curved one looks really nice!
    -Andre
    Emale and gang... Well was driving back from a heart healthy McDonald's dinner with my daughter and saw three Sebring Sedan's at one of our area dealers. Looked nicer in person than in pictures--quite reasonably priced too, given the features. Haven't seen a 2001 Intrepid though...anyone else?
    Everybody's gonna have a spoiler but me! That's ok....I'll get even with you guys when I get mine by getting one of those real tall 2 foot high ones like you see on Honda Civics, that'll show you! Maybe a VTEC sticker as well and an 8 inch diameter exhaust tip. Hah!
    Davidu did you get yours out of the shop yet? How do you like it?
    Hey, all that stuff does nothing but add pure horsepower, you know. Make sure you don't forget the Neon for that "extra element of surprise"!!! ;)

I don't get my Intrepid back until Friday morning. Just before I ordered my spoiler, my *%$#@&% road bike fell over into the side of my car, putting a big dent in the right front quartetr panel just above the wheel. I think they had to keep it overnight for that repair, to let the paint cure correctly or something.

Anyway, I'll post a few pics on my photopoint page tomorrow when I get it back!!
    When a particular car gets recalled, do they recall all of that model and year, or just specific ones? Just curious, because one of my co-workers had a recall on hers, but I never got any notice. I think this one was about the seatbelt height adjusters on the b-pillar.
    -Andre
    I went to the NHTSA web page, and they break it down by how many units were affected, build dates, etc. So I guess my particular Intrepid was built during a good week ;-)
    the VW Passup has had this year? Course, the manufacturer has to admit that they goofed first. right?
    ALWAYS have great engineering. There are never any goofs in German cars, right? ;^D
    All those electrical gremlins and problems with valvetrain wear and excessive oil consumption are just figments of consumers' minds, right?
    You are also posting here?????I thought you understood,YOU MUST OWN A DIFFERENT car you deserve more!
    and I feel the need, the need for neon (or Neon) under my Intrepid! The right shade of neon would make even a VW Passout faster.

Have a pleasant weekend everyone.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    roadwar-

Will this do instead of neon/Neon??? LOL.....
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/7501/altima

fastdriver
    just saw a new silver ice coloured stratus r/t coupe at the dealership. what a looker!! i'm afraid i'm getting the fever. hopefully a test drive and the reality of living with a coupe and its drawbacks will alleviate my condition...?
    Sorry, I fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard! Is that a wreck or are those cars trying to mate? I'd hate to have to call my insurance agent on that one.
    Take the test drive, figure the payments and take a cold shower! Seriously, you only live once in this world (as far as we know). Go for it. Have you seen a four door? It looks almost as good.
    Well, I got my car back from the body shop yesterday, and the spoiler looks AWESOME. $93.90 for the spoiler, including shipping, and $78.00 to get it painted and installed- not a bad deal at all.

I'm really pleased with the way it looks and with the job our small town body shop did painting and installing it. They did comment, however, that they thought the supplied instructions "sucked", but nonetheless, they got it installed okay. My Intrepid is Champagne, and I was a little nervous about getting the paint to match well, but it does exactly- maybe I'll have them repaint the rear bumper, too!!! ;)

Unfortunately, I can't remember my damn Photopoint password at home, so I'll have to wait until Monday when I get to work to post a couple of pictures.

Anyway, if you're considering a spoiler, I'd certainly recommend this one.
    roadwar,

i have seen one new 01 stratus sedan but it really didn't strike my fancy much...too pontiac grand prixish if you will. i have taken a cold shower but the fever persists...
    roadwar-

I knew you'd like that pic. I think they were mating- trying to get Altima "reliability" into the Concorde!! LOL.......

fastdriver
    Hi,those new coupes are sharp looking cars,I like much better the Sebring coupe,I will buy one,a 5 speed with all the goodies.
    It´s about time to have that car!
    jey jason,

awhile back you had mentioned seeing the new 01 town and country limited. i saw one yesterday at the local dealership (shortly after checking out the stratus coupe). i must say, i'm impressed with the new mini. i think they could've done more with the exterior styling but the interior is a knockout! very classy in the taupe colour! anway, i'm not a minivan kinda guy but my parents are and i'm sure there gonna be checking this baby out...
    david,

trep looks great with the new spoiler! in the pictures it looks like your rear fascia matches pretty good. i've noticed that in certain lighting situations my rear fascia appears darker than the sheetmetal directly above it. didn't you say that you've noticed this too? anyway, i originally thought that the paint on the fascia wasn't matching the rest of the car. but, after further investigating i've discovered that it does match the rest of the car. the design of the fascia is such that light reflects off it differently depending on the sun agle and that affects how dark it looks. for instance, when the sun is shining directly on the side of the car, the fascia's colour looks exactly like the sheetmetal above it. also, where the deck lid comes down to meet the back bumper (same rear fascia), the colour match always looks perfect. so, it seems to me the design of the fascia should be changed so that the light reflects of it at the same angle as the metal above. and, i've never noticed the front fascia looking a different colour vs the surrounding metal. and i'm sure the front and rear fascia are made of the same plastic. anyway, i would post a few pics of my bright silver trep but i don't have a scanner yet. maybe for christmas i'll break down and get one...
    In the pictures it looks pretty good, but it all depends on the light, which I guess was just right that day. From the back, it always seems to match no matter what the lighting. On the side, however, mine does indeed often seem slightly darker, particularly at dusk, or on cloudy days. Like you said, I think it has more to do with reflection than actual color. Like you, I too have never noticed the front fascia to seem different, either head on or from the side. The rear mismatch bothered me when I first got the car, now I don't really notice.

When I was having my spoiler installed, I asked the shop owner about the difference, and he pointed to a new Accord and a two year old Grand Am, both of which also had a difference between the plastic and metal pieces. He told me plastic bumpers have a special additive to the paint to make it flexible and more impact resistant, and that the plastic on any car could never exactly match the metal. Could be BS, but it sounds sensible enough to this auto body neopyhte!!

All that said, I'm completely impressed with the color match of the spoiler- if someone didn't know the truth, they'd be hard pressed to believe it wasn't painted at the factory!!
    Back from family business out of town.
    Emale, I haven't seen either the sedan or coupe for real, just pictures. They look to be nice. Wonder if they won't cut into Intrepid sales?

David, that spoiler looks even better on your car than it did on the supplier site!

I tend to agree with you emale on the paint match deal. I first thought my bright silver didn't match between the rear panels but it seems to be a function of how low the light is striking the body. Being my anal self, I took a floodlight and set it up beside the car so as to apply the light evenly to the fascia and the fender (you guys stop laughing now). They match perfectly. But it sure is a good "illusion" if the light is right.

Fastdriver: when I get my new upper spoiler, I'm also thinking about getting the altima underbody rear spoiler as well ;^D
    Kelly
  • BjorBjor Member Posts: 7
    I had a '98 Stratus that I traded in for '00 Intrepid. I waited to see the '01 Stratus before I decided and I went with the Intrepid instead (still the most beautiful car on the road today). I really like the Sebring sedan and would have waited for that except for one thing:
    If I ever moved to a state that requires a front license plate, putting it in the mouth of that Sebring sedan would not look good. I've seen Concordes like this and they make the front end look horrible. I live in AZ now where you don't need a front license plate, but in Nevada & California (two states I considering moving to), you do. That's why I went with the Intrepid! It looks good with or without a front license plate.
    Emale/Roadwar.... You both have seen Stratus SEDANS? I've now seen several Sebring Sedans--quite nice--especially the loaded ones, but no Stratus Sedans. Emale I agree about the Stratus coupe however. Local dealer had the same R/T in Silver....SUH-WEET..
    Believe it or not I was driving an SUV before my Trep--and practically begged my wife to let us get a loaded Grand Caravan ES instead. Frankly since it was gonna be my daily driver, I preferred the superior ride, handling and fuel economy. And our SUV wasn't shabby--we had two loaded Mitsubishi Montero SR's over six years. I have always liked the T&C and Grand Caravan--but the prices are really creeping up.
    jason and roadwar,

was just at the dealership having my sunroof adjusted a bit and noticed they had an 01 black stratus sedan sitting out back. i must admit it does look better in daylight (last time i saw one it was nearly dark). one thing is for sure, it doesn't look at all like the model it replaced. and the dash/interior is sort of audiish...
    roadwar-

An upper AND lower spoiler??? Should really grip the road now! LOL.........

fastdriver
    I filled up the Trep today after yesterday's highway trip. The 3.5 is continuing to get a little better mileage as more miles are put on. I got 25.5 mpg running better than 70 most of the way with the ac running. Amoco premium is $1.65 per gallon here. OUCH!
    ouch, hell regular unleaded is $1.59 here!
    roadwar-

That's a "great" price for premium. Here in So. CT, REGULAR 87 octane is $1.78.9!!!!!! Premium is out of sight!

fastdriver
  • ionosphereionosphere Member Posts: 3
    Received the last of the three new exhaust parts for my 00 Intrepid. Replaced the stock resonator with a MagnaFlow 12258, used the stock 2 1/2'' exhaust pipe which goes back to a single Rhino 921 with dual outlets. Two 2 1/2'' pipes connect to the Pacesetter monza dual tips. I used the larger 3'' tips as the rear end has a large stance. The sound is a little louder than stock but sounds great. The rear end looks great with the dual tips. Have just under 10,000 miles on her and have done the forth oil change (Mobil One). This is a great road car for taking a trip, enough room for everything, rides and handles so well you never get tired of driving, well almost never. I am still thinking about having the rear windows tinted, maybe next spring.
    Roadwar--Are you running premium in your Trep? If so, what has been your result compared to regular? Another interesting "problem" cropped up in some reviews of the Intrepid R/T. Several mags commented the horsepower was down (from the 300M) due to a chip which allowed the 3.5 to run on regular instead of "premium like the 300M." Fortunately the 3.5L was not designed to run on premium (91 octane or higher) but unleaded plus (89 octane). Seems Edmunds isn't the only reviewer that can't get it's facts straight.
    Emale--Saw more Sebring sedans yesterday but no Stratus Sedans...no Sebring Comvertibles either. Looking forward to taking one for a spin.
    Morning... By any chance have you ever visited the repair topic for the Intrepid and other LH cars. Don't recall exactly what the title is, but stumbled in there the other day. You'd never guess who is there, in their various guises, "spreading the word". Unfortunately it appears that the folks there believe him/her.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    David
    Wow, I didn't think I'd like a spoiler on my ES but that one looks great. My ES is just the same as yours outside. What interior is in there?
    My Trep doesn't seem to drop any oil at all.
    The GAs on the front are starting to get down there. I plan on running them there until replacement and leave the rears in place. I rotated at about 7500 miles but haven't done it since. Should I just buy one GA and use my spare or what better tire should I replace the two with?

Thanks