Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    As you can see, I am posting a lot. Trying to drive up the number. Do you think we can crack the top 10 with a concerted effort? I will do my part.

The plastic parts do seem to take the paint differently than the metal, but this is not peculiar to Treps or even Chrylser. Look at just about any car, it is always different on the plastic.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason,

no, i haven't been in the repair topic but maybe i'll have to drop in and see what's goin on. from your message i gather the "troll" has been lurking there. sedan host has been very diligent about keeping this topic on track and the troll apparently doesn't like that.

btw, i haven't seen the 01' sebring coupe or sedan yet, just the strati..
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    My 99 Intrepid's got the camel/tan leather interior. When I was looking for my Intrepid, I really had my heart set on the platinum with the agate interior. When I saw the champagne with the camel/tan interior, though, I changed my mind instantly. IMHO, the Champagne/camel leather combo is classy and rich looking.

Champagne sure wasn't a color I'd have picked out of the brochure, but I really like it.
    My 99 ES is just like your, champagne on camel leather. We picked those colors when we ordered it built. We had considered the light cypress green, but it didn't come with the camel interior. We went with the champagne. I'm glad it came that way. One other thing about ordering it, it came with a window sticker complete with this at the top:

Built for Mrs. Smith

Made me a hero in my house.

smithe
    I really lucked out in not having to order mine. Although our local small town dealer had one champagne/camel Intrepid when I was shopping, it didn't have all the options I wanted. Luckily, they were apparently due a favor from another dealer in our state, and they worked out a trade and got me a car optioned just the way I wanted it, without having to order it. Unfortunately, no cool personalized window sticker!! :(

How long did you have to wait??
    david,

i ordered my y2k intrepid and had to wait almost exactly 4 weeks to the day before i took delivery. i actually prefer ordering my vehicles since i'm able to get what i want and my local dealership knows it won't sit on their lot...so they've generally been pretty good about not expecting to make much money on it...
    Man, took a look over in the Intrepid Maintenance section- Seems to be a number of valid posts, but after following this forum over well over a year, I would suggest that the other forum be renamed "Sybil Goes Online", or "Ask ME-US About How Bad the Intrepid Sucks"!!!
    I've only ordered a car once, and it turned out to be a nightmare. I waited six months in late 97 to get a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe exactly how I wanted. Finally got it in February of 98, fought with the dealer over a bunch of niggling probelms with the car, then totalled it in a rollover accident in a hailstorm in June that year, with barely 10,000 miles on the clock.

Should have known from the start that one wasn't meant to be!!
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    Yes, I'm running Amoco premium exclusively in my R/T. The R/T conference and the dodgertclub.com site have been tossing this whole subject of the R/T versus the 300M horsepower since the R/Ts came out. Interesting facts are: Chrysler apparently "recommends" premium fuel in the 300 owners' manual (I haven't seen one), but says that it's ok to use regular. Chrysler web site says 300M engine has a 10.1 to one compression ratio. I bought a 2000 LH factory service manual which covers LHS, 300M, Concorde, and Intrepid. It says all 3.5 engines have 9.9 to one compression ratio. Also says 3.5 engines will operate fine on regular fuel. It makes no special recommendations for the 300. The engine controller compensates for the use of lower octane fuel when it detects knock by retarding timing. I believe that ALL 3.5 engines and controllers are IDENTICAL. I think the 253 hp rating of the 300M was obtained with premium fuel and that the 242 hp rating of the R/T was obtained with regular fuel (which is recommended in the Intrepid owner's manual. I want the maximum performance from mine so I use premium.
    Besides, I'm anal and don't like spark knock.
    Kelly
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    That's interesting.. I've never seen anything to suggest that Chrysler "recommends" premium--particularly since the literature states that the 3.5 was designed to produce it's horsepower and torque peaks (253 and 255 respectively) on Unleaded Plus (89). I used plus on an early trip in my Trep just to see if there was any discernible benefit--there wasn't--not in fuel mileage or acceleration. The debate continues I guess...
    My ordering experience was a dream. Ordered the "Trep on February 12, 1999. I was told I would have a 6 to 8 week wait, but it showed up in only 4 weeks. Brand spanking new, just like I ordered it at the price (Invoice) that I had negotiated. Have bought 2 vehicles that way, and will do it again. That way I get exactly what I want. Now, a Pontiac, that may be a different story. :)
    The premium "recommendation" was something that one of the 300 conference posters had mentioned. I haven't seen a 300 owners manual. I think the horse power thing is more marketing ploy than anything else. With the electronics adjusting timing to reduce or eliminate spark knock with lower octane fuel I doubt that most people (myself included) could tell the difference. The horsepower difference would probably amount to only several percent and probably only be evidenced in slightly slower acceleration times.
    I'm sure not complaining about gas prices here any more based on what you guys are paying. I don't know why they're cheaper here unless it's that the southeast generally has lower wages/living costs?
    Kelly
    Roadwar--Thanks for the response. I too wonder just how much of a difference it makes. On my last vehicle (a Mitsubishi Montero with a DOHC engine)--premium was recommended. There was a discernible difference in acceleration (and gas mileage) when running on premium rather than regular. Then again, it was a 4500lb SUV with a 25 gallon tank and poor gas mileage--glad we got rid of it a year ago.
    Motor Trend recently mentioned that there was a discernible difference on the Honda Odyssey V-6 when running reg vs. the recommended premium--almost one full second 0-60. I find more of a difference with the weather turns cold!
    Emale--My Intrepid is scheduled to have the CD changer replaced next week. At that time, I think I'll also get the tires rotated (the front ones--at almost 13000 are showing some wear on the outer tread blocks). Other than that and having them take a look at the driver's seat--nothing of consequence. I"m curious--did you ever replace the tires on one of your Treps, and if so, with what? Think my wife is flip flopping again--now she's thinking 300M (because of the available audio controls on the steering wheel)--she still likes the PT Cruiser and has dismissed the LHS--which was once her first choice. Women...OY!
    jason,

the 96 and 98 were traded in with around 30k miles and therefore i never had to go through the expense of new tires. and, i don't know what to tell ya. however, i don't think i'd go with the eagle ga tires again!

i'm also in a bit of quandry at the moment. my ranger goes back on lease in december. i could buy it for a reasonable amount but i don't like it all that well. so, i'm thinking of getting either a dakota quad cab or durango and trading in the intrepid. i'm single and really don't need two vehicles, but where i live makes having a 4 wheel drive very desirable. plus it seems i'm always hauling something around. but, the trep gets awesome mileage on the open road and is very comfortable, so i haven't decided for sure. tell your wife i understand!!
    Thanks.. Yes, that's quite a quandry. I drove a Dakota Club Cab two weeks ago and really liked it. It was a 2001 and was a rare 4.7 V-8 with the 5 speed manual. Definitely didn't ride like the Trep, but wasn't bad at all for a 4WD.. Don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I hear the Quad Cab is even smoother on the road..
    Affirmative on the Eagle GA's...once is quite enough.. I'd consider Eagle LS's, and a few of the Bridgestone and Michelin offerings..
    jason,

what did you think of the 4.7l v/8? i've heard great things about it but have yet to drive one. accordig to a few articles i've read, chrysler has really gotten the gearing right with the manual and autobox such that the 4.7l feels just as lively as the 5.9l.
    Hey emale- I see you're making some new friends over in the 300M forum!!! Boy, they sure are a territorial bunch, aren't they?

Last week I went to my local 5* dealer to have them look at my work Explorer's Wilderness AT's. While waiting for them to figure out if I get new tires or not (no, apparently), I picked up a few DC brouchures.

Can anyone tell me why DC's brochures only seem to have pictures of one interior color throughout the entire brochure? They seem particularly guilty by only showing the "agate" color. In terms of exterior colors, some never appear, but others, notably silver, appear repeatedly.

Not a life or death issue, but I'd be curious to know why....
    david,

after reading some of the 300m folks' posts, you swear they thought they were driving a rolls! there is a couple of them i like to have fun with, but they take it way too seriously. apparently that extra money they spent has to be justified somehow.
    Emale. Way to go, giving those 300M snobs the whatfor!!!

At least now they've got something more exciting to talk about than "maui wowie" chat rooms, titanium metal dash inserts, chrome trim and all that BS!!!

Don't forget to give that race guy grief about the "Neon" under his car!!! :)

I take it you don't have mud flaps on your intrepid ;)
    You said neon on Friday night.

I feel the need, the need for neon under my Intrepid!!!
    It's Friday! Have a good weekend everyone.
    Just read your posts on the 300 conference. You certainly managed to get racefan bent. Some of those guys are funny. They just can't accept that the main differences between Intrepi and 300s are about 10 pounds of sound killer insulation,some (admittedly nice) electronic goodies, some different body panels, a little more power, and a six inch shorter trunk. In the case of the R/T, even the engine differences are removed. The ES Treps now come with the touring suspension which is the base 300 suspension. Chrysler has done an excellent marketing job with the 300 and don't get me wrong, it's an excellent car. But you and I both know that Chrysler is making probably an additional $3,000 profit on each 300 because there simply is not that much "more" content to justify the $5,000 extra money. But, like "they" say, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    I think I know part of the reason why the brochures don't always show all of the interior/exterior colors. The brouchures are prepared well in advance so as to be available with the introduction of the new model. The advertising people have to use what they have available to make pictures for the brouchure. Usually this is limited to "pilot" (handbuilt) cars which aren't necessarily built in all colors. The interior shots often come from prototype interiors rather than the actual production stuff for the same reason. I think in order to hold down the cost of producing the brouchures, they don't take advantage of computer technology that nowadays would allow them to show all possible colors (or they just don't care because I don't think this technology is so expensive anymore). An example of this is that car magazines will often change (via software) the color of a car to be featured on the cover to red because it supposedly sells more magazines.
    Drove the Intrepid on several errands today. It still surprises me that a car this large handles as well as it does. It is more fun to drive than the 95 Z28 that I had until last year. The steering is lighter and more communicative, and the Trep feels more nimble in every situation. Now if it just had that 275 hp LT1 v8, it would be perfect!
    how about the 320 hp 5.7l v/8 hemi coming in the 02' ram! mated to a zf 5 speed!

also, i think the es model has always come with the "touring" suspension. in my back to back drives, i've noticed virtually no difference between the intrepid es and the base 300m. probably the biggest difference is that the 300m, i believe, comes standard with lower profile 17 inch wheels/tires.
    roadwar, agree completely about the handling and overall ride/drive of this vehicle. anytime in the last five years that i've driven a new car for test drive purposes, i've always gone back to the intrepid. no other similarly sized car, imo, handles as soundly or rides as solidly as the intrepid es. don't get me wrong, there are still some areas that could be refined, but overall i'm happy with the way my es performs...
    That makes sense, thanks for the input.

Couldn't help myself (again) with the Neon comment!! Now that I've got that spoiler installed, I'll have to track down one of those chrome shift knobs from a 01 300!!! That alone's gotta be worth a few K extra!!

Dave
    Well I'm turning in a rare Saturday morning appearance here--had to come into the office. I was mightily impressed with the power of the 4.7--even in this somewhat loaded 4WD Dakota it REALLY pulled. Sounded nice and the noise levels weren't invasive. I would imagine the manual wouldn't have any trouble meeting the 14 mpg city projections with a reasonable foot. Like I said, impressive.
    You're right! The Chrysler engine would be much better! Are you listening Chrysler?

Don't forget the new dual exhaust tips. Definitely worth an extra $800 B^)
    What I want to know is when is Chrysler going to have the factory installed neon option (for that added surprise effect)?
    I read somewhere that Chrysler hedged it's bets when the LH cars were designed and designed them to be readily changeable to rear wheel drive if the market went that way. Guess that explains the ease with which they will build the 300 Hemi and Charger off of the same basic platform.
    My all weather interceptor dream car would be the Intrepid with 300 hp V8, five speed auto, full time four wheel drive for under $30,000. Guess I really am dreaming, huh?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Yes. :)
    Did you ever get your airconditioning problem taken care of?
    No, not yet. I finally had a few "real" minutes of time to discuss the problem with the local dealer (at 7:15 am Saturday, 45 minutes before they opened the service dept) and he said he would look at the possibility of a blend door problem. He told me that it would be better if he could put the computer on the car when it was malfunctioning, which makes it difficult, since the malfunction is intermittent, about 50% of the time. You might guess that anytime I am within a 5 mile radius of the dealer, everything works fine. :) Now that it is cooling off, I may have to wait until next year. Wait, there is still the chance of Indian summer. :) Thanks for asking, as I am still POed at what I have to go thru for this. I will keep all posted.

Bob
    jason, et al...

have any of you been over to the intrepid problems topic? i've been over there a few times recently and guess who is trying to misinform the public yet again? better yet, now he claims to own a 00 intrepid and 98 before that. my question is, what happened to the passat? it is incredible what some people do for attention!!
    Emale--Recheck my post to you (#352) from about a week ago. Apparently I wasn't direct enough--but I mentioned that I had seen "him" in the topic. It occured by accident that I happened to venture there, but his presence, his usual diatribe, and his multiple personas were evident. Please remember to dispute the message and limit your attacks on the messenger. I tire of his antics so much that I decided not to involve myself in this one--the rest of you have at it! I suspect that just letting folks know that he historically uses the following identities (jeffew, amale, dc13, etc. etc.) and that his ownership of any Intrepid is in considerable doubt, let along his ownership of any currently. Keep me appraised..
    STILL haven't seen a Stratus Sedan..but have actually seen two Sebring Sedan's on the road...
    jason,

that has always been something i've wanted to do to...however probably won't be able to swing it this year given lack of vacation time. anyway, if you do go, have a blast!!
    pepe et al,

the host of the intrepid problems topic hasn't yet totally figured out jeffew (dc13). but all it takes is a little prodding from us and jeffie's "true" self will bubble to the surface...
  • slfxvslfxv Member Posts: 2
    2000 Intrepid, Steel Blue, 12000K miles:

Love it, one problem: it has a ridiculous amount of paint chips on the hood already. Some are understandable but my 1990 Sunbird, driven around the same area, had less chips when I sold it last year. Has anyone experienced this problem, any suggestions?
    mine has a couple minor chips. and, i suspect you won't be able to keep it from happening (unless you get a bra). any car with a hood that slopes as much as the intrepids is in for some chipping...
    I used to live in Detroit. Try and go to the auto show in the first three days or so. If it starts on a Saturday (Friday doesn't count, usually reserved for the press), go on that Monday, when the furor has subsided and everyone goes back to work and school. Do not wait for end of the week. The union blockheads (please note my usual soapbox) will literally DESTROY the import vehicles, keying the paint, ripping (and ripping out) the upholstery, breaking and stealing steering wheels, making the cars look like they spent a week on the shoulder of the Cross-Bronx Expressway. Those guys just keep thinking that there would be more UAW members if we didn't let in those damn foreign cars. The fact that their build quality leaves much to be desired, has not, and will never, cross their minds. Now stepping down off soapbox.

Have a good time. Tell us what you found. If you really want an "experience" go on the last day of the show and see what I mean. If you do, you will lose any sense of respect you ever had for the unionized worker.
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Check with your dealer, he may cover the cost of repairing those paint chips, DC has an ongoing problem with chipping and peeling.
    SLFXV--I too have a Steel Blue Intrepid and have experienced chipping. While the airdam area seems to be more immune the hood does not. Despite a "bra", which I don't use all the time, I have chips. Think emale is on target...when any front end slops down, stones, debris etc have a clear path to the hood. I grin and bear it--and keep the hood/front end well Zainoed and apply touch up paint liberally. My mother's first gen Intrepid has the same problem.
    Emale--Feel free to email me if you discover some time in your schedule..it could be a blast. I believe that I"d only go for a day or two anyway.
    Marsha7--Many thanks for the advice.. I really was stunned to read your comments about the "foreign" makes and the damage done by union workers. But human nature, being what it is... It's tempting to condemn the breed but I hope it's more like a "few bad apples".. Not sure when it runs this year..any hints on where to find info?
  • slfxvslfxv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jason5--but I am not familiar with Zainoed. Can you explain?
    has anyone here ever had their front windshield cracked by a flying rock, etc. just wondering as i never have (with 3 intrepids) and thus am suspecting that most rocks hit the hood (explains the chips) and then fly right over the windshield...just a thought.

jeffew,

chrysler had some big paint problems (as did ford and gm) in the early part of the 90s. that is not the case anymore...
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    NOT TRUE!
  • copperhead1copperhead1 Member Posts: 157
    UUPPS!!! Sorry but post # 402 is not true,Chrysler had them in the past,as well as others,but no more today,if someone has in the hood some paint chips it´s because of stones,not because of a paint problem.
    Post #402 is not true!
    Donnie are the roads not paved in your area or are you using the Intrepid as an off roader, too bad it doesn't come with awd
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    My Intrepid has a tiny little chip in the windshield, which you can only see when the light is right. I have had windshields cracked by stones before, but they were all on un-aerodynamic cars...twice on a 1968 Dart, once on a 1967 Catalina, and once on an '89 Gran Fury. So I guess on these cars most of the lower flying rocks bounced off the bumper and grille, while the higher ones didn't have a sloping hood to deflect them from the windshield.

Now, one thing I'm curious about, if cars today are so aerodynamic and the air stream flows right over them, why do so many bugs still hit the windshield? The Intrepid has the most slicked-back winshield of any car I've ever owned, but bugs still splat against it like it was a Freightliner.

-Andre
    check out this link:

http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

i found it very interesting and some good food for thought. i'm a big consumer reports supporter but some of this material is making me think twice...
    Is there not a connection between allpar , mopar and Chrysler?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    ...I believe, started off as an acronym, for MOtor PARts. It's the brand name for Chrysler parts, just like Motorcraft is to Ford and AC Delco to GM. It became a slang word used to describe just about any Chrysler product, although I don't think the purist would call, say, a Dodge Colt or Plymouth Sapporo a Mopar (although I hear a 318 will drop into a Sapporo pretty easily...scary thought!) So pretty much any domestic Chrysler product can be called a Mopar.

I guess the distinction of what is domestic and what is not is pretty blurred nowadays though, and I don't know if the word really applies to the current DC cars.
    -Andre