Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    25-26 mpg, mostly 65-80 mph, 75% Hwy, 25% city. Best sight I ever saw was entering the freeway right off the station, drive 25 miles to exit, 75-80 mph, no air, just vent (cool day) and in that stretch, the overhead computer registered 31.7 mpg. Oh, if only it would stay there!!!!!
    with the A/C on, I am averaging 22.5 to 24 mpg.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    marsha7,

did the dealer fix your a/c yet?
    Thanks for asking. The baby goes to the dealer tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, to have the A/C checked (blend door???), the moving driver's seat checked (any bets it won't move when they drive it???), the overhead temp needs 8 minutes (by the clock) to change from 74 to outside setting of 85. Should be interesting. 5 Star dealer, also the dealer who sold me the car, 40 miles away. Wish me luck.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    marsha7-

Just take two asprin and call them in the morning! LOL......

fastdriver
    marsha7,

i think the outside temp and auto ac have some sort of connection...maybe the blend door is adjusted according to outside temp? interesting...let us know what you find out.
    I forgot you two posted me in Intrepid instead of 300M (they are interchangeable topics, you know). I dropped the car off today, got a Jeep Cherokee as a loaner...not the most impressive vehicle, even for an SUV. They will need a few days to check out the Intrepid. Also, I wondered if the slow overhead temp (8 full minutes, by the clock, to change from 74 to 85 in 86 degree weather, in the sun). Stay tuned.
    marsha7-

We're on the edge of our seats waiting! LOL...... I hope it's something simple. Why do they need a few days to check this? It's either cold or it's not. Watch out with that Jeep. You might get stuck! LOL.....

fastdriver(Bob) in case you forgot! ;-)
  • 2000trep2000trep Member Posts: 30
    made my appiontment... the trep is getting it's windows tinted thursday!!!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Got my Intrepid back from the body shop yesterday. Total bill for the attempted break-in on the pass. side door...$436. However, it turns out the door panel was bent a little, too, so they fixed that and repainted most of the door, from the window sill on down to and including the plastic molding strip on the lower door. They even replaced the D-O-D-G-E letters instead of just painting around them. I only had to pay the $250 deductible, so I'm not too upset, but I hope they catch the punks that did this. Still haven't heard anything back from the police...I heard they can take up to a month or more just to fill out a report.

Now I'm thinking about getting an alarm for it, but the guy who runs the body shop said his Suburban was broken into twice out in the parking lot...and he has an alarm. So I don't know. Anybody know of any good alarms?

Also thinking about getting the windows tinted to it's harder to look inside, but that may just make the car more enticing, more of a "pot luck" I guess. 2000trep, let me know how your tint job goes!
    -Andre
    Ok, I'll let you know. I think it stinks you had to shell out $250 for something you didn't even do. That's life, I guess. Sounds like they took the time to do the job right, though (the body shop). I hope the cops nab 'em!
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I echo the sentiments of most folks...glad they didn't get your car and sorry you had to shell out the deductible. Now my question.. I lived in Florida for 8 years and had all my vehicles tinted, which is relatively inexpensive down there. As I recall you to are in the northeast...yes? Could you give me a rough estimate of the cost for your tinting. Thinking of having mine lightly tinted since my Intrepid is often outside. Thanks...
    May be painful to hear but the most expensive tint job I ever had was for dual level titanium film on my SUV--it was $130.00.
    That IS cheap!!! I got quotes from several places for the metallic stuff and everything around here is priced at about $190. I could purchase cheaper film for about the price you posted, but it's the stuff that turns purple, which I don't want.
    andre1969-

Sorry to hear about your car. As for the alarm, what about a Viper alarm or Lo Jack, if your police department has the equipment to track it?
    Lo Jack seems to be a good deal because of the tracking device. It's like the GM OnStar that's in their newer cars.

fastdriver
  • davidudavidu Member Posts: 40
    Jason-

Here in NW Wyoming I paid $169.00 to have my Intrepid windows tinted by a 3M licensed installer with 3M 35% film. Because of the 3M connection, the work came with a lifetime, no deductible, no questions asked warranty against peeling, bubbling or other manufacturing or installation defect.

I'm incredibly pleased with the car's appearance with tinted windows!!

Dave
    what color is your 'trep?
    They need to keep it a few days because of their backlog in service department. They told me yesterday morn that it may be a day or so before they even look at it. That's OK, they pay for the loaner, altho I did take out the $10/day CDW. It is odd, if I had to rent the Jeep, I would put it on my gold card, which would pay any collision deductible up to $3,000.00. But since I was not PAYING for the Jeep, I did not have the coverage of my gold card (truth must be stranger than fiction, as I can't make this stuff up in my imagination). Hence, since my own collision deductible is $500.00, I took out the CDW.

They originally offered me a Ford Focus for a loaner, but I said that I did not want a car so small that I can park it in the trunk of my Honda Prelude. They offered the Jeep. I asked for a 300M (what the hell, worth a try) and they offered the Jeep. I know when I am licked. I took the Jeep.

Will keep you posted as soon as I learn something.

Marsha7/Bob
    My 99ES is Champagne. If someone can tell me how to post a picture in here, I'll put one up!
    I've been meaning to submit this and see what you guys think... I was on vacation last week up in the state of Washington. I rented a car to get around in. Which BTW was a Mitsubishi Galant and was an ok car except was much harsher on the bumps and much more noisy than the Trep. Anyway, when I was returning the car to National, I couldn't help but notice their fleet of Intrepids. As I was driving by, I got to looking at them a little closer and noticed on the door where mine says "Dodge", these said "Chrysler". I had to back up and have another look. Anyone ever heard of a Chrysler Intrepid??? I should have taken a picture. Didn't even think of it at the time.

Davidu > My wife and I liked the Champagne color, but decided against it because we didn't want the tan interior (which is the only color interior that "goes with" the champagne exterior color).
    Could they be Canadian Intrepids? I know in the old days, they didn't market Plymouths in Canada. As a result, I've seen Chrysler Valiant, which were actually Dodge Darts with Valiant trim badged as Chryslers.

I'm pretty good with identifying old cars, so a friend sent me a picture of a Chrysler Saratoga his parents had when he was a kid. Now they quit making Saratogas after 1960, but this one was clearly a 1963-64 model, and you could see where it said "Saratoga" on it.

I know those are some pretty old examples, but maybe Chrysler still builds its cars with minor variations for the Canadian market.
    in this topic, and considering you were in the state of Washington, I believe that the Intrepids ARE sold as Chryslers in Canada, and you were so close to Canada. Some of our other posters should be responding soon, possibly some of our Canadian brothers and sisters, who, I believe, will verify that as fact.
  • roadwarroadwar Member Posts: 45
    I believe the previous posters are correct. I don't think Chrysler markets using the Dodge name in Canada, hence the Chrysler Intrepids.
    Kelly
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    you need to put the following in your post:
    img src=http://www.anywhere.com/mypicture.jpg
    enclosed within < > brackets.

for example:
    davidu-

Before doing the above, you have to have the picture on the web somewhere. Try putting your picture here first http://www.photopoint.com/ then you can post it. You can also use Yahoo's Geocities too.

fastdriver
    trep 2000- The Champagne never would have been my a choice after looking at the brochure, but I sure fell in love with the Champagne/Camel combo when I saw one in person.

fastdriver- Thanks for the link, you should be on the Psychic friends network for correctly guessing my next question!!

Being a regular lurker in the 300M forum as well, I was quite intrigued with the recent "demographic poll" that many owners partcipated in over there. I thought it might be interesting to know similar information about Intrepid owners here, such as occupation, age, family and previous cars driven, so here goes:

31 year old airport manager about to depart singlehood forever, thankfully with no children to this point. Previous cars include:

1977 Chevy Malibu (cop tires, cop motor)
    1985 Renault Encore (won it new in a TV station drawing- what a piece of crap!)
    1978 VW Scirocco
    1983 VW GTI
    1990 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo (one of the best cars I've owned!)
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe
    1997 Ford Explorer XLT
    davidu-

LOL........."you should be on the Psychic friends network for correctly guessing my next question!!"

I was thinking of calling them to see if they could tell me when the next problem with my 300M was going to occur!!! LOL.........

fastdriver
    Hey gang,

Here's a pic of an Intrepid Convertible I made a few years ago playing around on the computer. Hope I posted the link right.
    -Andre

http://www.geocities.com/Motorcity/2167/98intrepidconv.jpg&gt;
    Oops, did that wrong...damn keyboard!!

andre1969-

GREAT picture! It sure is a beauty! I think you should get a job at Chrysler's design studio! ;-)

fastdriver
    being as close to canada as i was, you guys must be right. thanks. that never occurred to me.
    Finally- a convertible with a real back seat- that picture is awesome!!
    The others are correct... Canadian Intrepids are "Chrysler Intrepids".. Thanks for the info on the tinting to all who submitted it. My ES is a 2000 in Steel Blue with the lighter gray interior (the name eludes me at the moment). Can't pull off dark tint here in PA--either legally or aesthetically on a dark, low slung car.. Hope to find someone local with the 3M titanium tint in a modest tint.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    W. (famous line from what movie?)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Some years ago I noticed that the National folks at Bradley airport (Hartford, CT) had a number of Intrepids, so I always took one. I had an Eagle Vision at the time, so it felt familiar.

However, it's interesting to note that National is nominally a GM rental agency. If they're renting DC product it's because they were offered a deal they couldn't refuse -- especially evident in your example, where cars built for the Canadian market were sold at fleet rates into the U.S.

But here's the real point. These cars are being sold to an off-brand rental company in huge quantities because of over-production. They're looking to unload cars they can't sell outside of the fleet market, even with $1000-2000 rebates. Those of you on this bulletin board might want to pause to consider what this is going to do to your resale values.

I just sold my '94 Eagle Vision Tsi, and you don't want to hear. . .the rest of the story.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    unfortunately, many cars' resale values are ruined by fleet sales and leasing. as for rebates...only the hot selling domestics vehicles don't have huge rebates these days...
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Re trade in values. I had dinner last night with a college friend who is now sales manager at a mid sized Ford dealership. He said that his trade-in appraisers have been instructed to be extra critical on all Chrysler product and to discount wholesale values by at least 15%. The bottom line is they don't reall want the Chrysler products on their lot, they just won't sell.
    got the trep back yesterday afternoon with new tint intact. those dark windows sure look good on that silver car! i would have liked darker tint but i opted to stay "legal" with the 35% grade.
    dc13-

Smart Ford dealer I'd say!

fastdriver
  • BjorBjor Member Posts: 7
    I'm taking my 2000 Intrepid in for service next Thursday and I thought I read in this topic somewhere that there was a TSB for extra sound deadening for Intrepids made before 10/99 (mine was made 9/99). Does anyone have any additional info on this? Thanks!
    bjor,

i think that sound deadening tsb (procedure) only applied to 98 models. i had it performed on my 98 intrepid. the later sound deadening improvements that came for model year 99 and 00 are not part of any tsb to the best of my knowledge. you could ask your dealership but i doubt they'd do anything. btw, the latest improvement that i know of was a new rear wheel house silencer that went into production on sept 7th of last year. if you car was made on that date or later you already have the latest upgrade. i'm not sure how you would find out the exact date your car was assembled other than calling chrysler customer service...
  • fluidfluid Member Posts: 5
    frito, I was "MAD" for that movie! "MAD, MAD, MAD"

Jay T
    00 IR ES
    If you fellow Intrepid enthusiasts haven't done so already... you need to get your priceline gas cards. I just got online and purchased 30 gallons of gas @ $1.15 per gallon... and that was on the first try. I'll have to start my bids much lower next time.
    Hey gang,

I finally got an alarm for my Intrepid. I got one of those Viper models that also remotely unlocks your doors. Now, if I can just get over my fear of the parking lot at Six Flags America where it got broken into...

Next step, when I get some more money saved up, is to get the windows tinted.
    -Andre
    Today I went looking to replace a burnt out driving light bulb, but couldn't find the exact wattage bulb specified in the manual.

The manual calls for a 35 watt H-3, but the only H-3 bulbs I found were 55W or 100W. I know a 100W bulb would probably melt the lens or reflector, or set the wiring ablaze, but how about the 55W? I'd like a little more brightness in the driving lamps anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts or experience on this one?
  • juliadjuliad Member Posts: 2
    I guess I bought mine before they had problems ironed out, but I will never buy another Dodge. I only have 56,700 miles on my 1993. I had new tires, new transmission, the ABS light has never been unlit (taken in several times to dealer to check computer), my keyless entry never worked right. I have a short now with the horn so the fuse blows everytime the horn is blown. I had the driver window motor replaced. Now the latest happened yesterday, the back end started shaking horribly and made loud noises and almost fishtailed. I couldn't go over 15 mph without this happening. I had it towed to a garage today.

What do you think that could be? I am tired of not being able to rely on my car.
    then get rid of it...
    Hey there.... you thinking what I"m thinking? CD changer is on back order.. Other than that all's well..
    yep, it's a no brainer!
  • dc13dc13 Member Posts: 23
    Your problems with the Intrepid are all very typical. Your best bet is to replace it asap and be prepared to take a beating on the trade in value. Most dealers know the reputation of the DC herd and value them accordingly.
    You will probably get a better reception if you stay in maintanance topic 1414. This topic should be renamed Intrepid Huggers only. I am surprised your negative post hasn't been deleted the host here also seems to be inclined to hug DC.
    just as i thought!