Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    I have a 2001 xls. I just noticed that the front of the passenger seat does not go up and down; only the rear does. The manual seems to indicate that both the front and rear of the seat bottom should go up and down. Before I go the the dealer, can any one verify if the front of the passenger side bottom cushion shoul go up and down?
  • Options
    minuteman26minuteman26 Member Posts: 70
    Just ordered an XLS with nav [had to special order to avoid getting sunroof]. The only Avalons I've seen have the outside temperature and compass displays. Is temp and compass still accessible with the GPS nav option?

Anybody have feedback on whether the nav is user-friendly?

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    nonjth13-Yup', the front and rear of the seat have a pitch adjustment, powered by separate motors. 1) Check all the "plug" connections under the seat. 2) Check the control button. 3) You'll have to check the motor...disconnect the nylon plug to the motor and apply 12v to the motor side of the plug. If it doesn't move, reverse the pos/neg, since the seat may be fully extended up/down and wouldn't move anyway. NOTE: You may be able to do this, by swithching with the plug to the rear motor.
  • Options
    figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Thank for the instructions on changing the struts and the pricing. Im not sure the struts are the problem yet.I sure wish you could ride in my car to here this noise. Yesterday i spent some time under the rear. The sway bar rubber bushings seem okay. I dont know what you call the adjustable rods at the rearmost, but i can twist them by hand so as to get movement at the rubber bushings. i disconected both at near the centerline of the car and the bushings seem soft and compliant as not to transmit noise but not loose or worn. I put them back. When my neighbor with the lift gets back from vacation, i want to gey this car into the air and check it out better. Remember, it is at 43K miles now and should not really have major wear going on. The previous owner kept excelent care of it. I sure don't care to drive it with all the banging. It is my sons car and he does not care. He just cranks up the music but i use it once in a while because it gets better milage than our suburban. Mike
  • Options
    Mike-Sounds like you are talking about "lower suspension arms." These tie the rear axle carrier to the chassis. There is a front (#1) and a rear (#2). They will have a barrel type bushing (rubber) in their ends and threads at their center, with a long bolt/locking bolt combination for alignment purposes. If you are getting movement in these bushings that COULD be a source of noise. This piece stabilizes the axle carrier's travel (up & down). I am actually putting poly bushings in this connection this week. There really shouldn't be "movement" in these??????

When you say the sway bar seems OK, this was NOT the above mentioned bars, that you twisted??? Just to confirm, the sway/stabilizer bar itself is about 16mm diameter. It has (approx) 5" goldish color links on its ends, that connect it directly to the struts. It crosses the car and is attached to each strut. It passes through TWO bushings. A "pillow block" is the best way to describe these bushings. Check for "play" at those bushings. Maybe lift the car to identify the sway bar, THEN lower the car, to check for movement (ie) if you can "rattle" it) when the car is DOWN! I noticed when it is UP and the suspension is hanging from the car the sway bar is under tension, and therefore does NOT rattle/shake while up in the air. Hope this gets ya' closer! -nomad-
  • Options
    nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    thanks for the info re seat. will check it out.
  • Options
    sharkmama49sharkmama49 Member Posts: 22
    Does anyone have any experience with an installed remote starter on the 2003 Avalon XLS?
    Been thinking about having one installed but wondering if it will have any negative effects on car.
  • Options
    onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    We have 2 2000 Avalons in our family..my sister and my parents and they love them....I just looked at the 2003 on the Toyota site and noticed the front grille changes.....in the photos the back also looks a little different? Has the back been restyled since the 2000 model? Of course it's hard to tell from those pictures , it may be the same......

Thanks....
  • Options
    02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    onlyagirl: The '00 - '02 Avalon's are virtually the same. The '03 Avalon had a "freshening", some cosmetic and some extra gadgets. The '03 does indeed have a new grill (a reverse version of the '00-'02 model) and the rear tail lights. Other changes consist of new rims, rain sensing wipers, Navi and VSC.
  • Options
    lorainemax2lorainemax2 Member Posts: 35
    Yes the grill and the rear tail lights changed. The rear lights are the same shape, they just reconfigured them, moving the back up light to the top and making the trunk section red.

The grill now looks more like a Crown Victoria.

Interior wise the gauge faces changed slightly and they now have wood on the steering wheel as an option plus you can get Navigation if you want it. They also offer rain sensing wipers in '03 and different wheels for the XLS while the old XLS wheels can be had on the XL.
  • Options
    onlyagirlonlyagirl Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for the info.....I am thinking about buying an '03....I liked the way the 2000 looked but didn't want to make #3 for our family....at least this one will look a little different from theirs ..and I like the changes...you are right though it does have a crowne vic look...like a police car(at least like our police cars here)! I thought the tail lights looked different but couldn't pinpoint what it was... The car I'm trading/selling has the rain sensor wipers and I really like that......not interested in the NAV system.....

Bobbie
  • Options
    kenneths1kenneths1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 XLS with a whine from start to 30+MPH. Drove another new car from the dealers lot which had the same sound. Dealer said it is a characteristic of the car.(my 2000 did not sound like that). Anyone with a 2003 with the same noise and what was done about it. Thanks, Ken
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The sound you are hearing is the alternator. Every Camry, Avalon and Sienna has this noise and have for quite some time. It is more noticeable in some cars and I don't know why this is but it is very normal.
  • Options
    bmpbmpbmpbmp Member Posts: 8
    I'm really disappointed if this ends up being true. Go to http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23335.htm and read how they're thinking about killing the Avalon after 2004.

That is sad, sad, sad. Other than my high school car, I've never had such a strong identity to my car. Was looking forward to the new 2005 design for my next purchase.

Man, first the threat level increase, now this.
  • Options
    I agree...what a disappointment. I guess there is no where to go but to Lexus. Either that or buy one of the last ones and hang onto it for 10 years.
  • Options
    Avalon is a nice sounding name ... beats Cressida! Seems logical that at the very least the name would stay. So what if it gets an edgy new Honda Accord type makeover: more hp, a little more strangeness. There are simply too many of us boomers who want this kind of car, and don't want a Lexus.

Besides, only the Avalon can be had without the sunroof for those of us who sit tall in the saddle.

I'm not worried.
  • Options
    wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    Well, I finally got my new Avalon XLS, 2003, last week with these options: Z1, SR, GV, VD, DK, Lunar Mist, for a total price of $29,489. Not bad, eh??? I really appreciated everyone's help & comments - special thanks to Ken - as far as undercoating, etc was concerned. Also got the Platinum with zero deductable for 6 yrs. & l00,000 miles. Now.....I am forever in my manual, trying to get used to all the gadgets & buttons. Every day I learn something new. (ha)

Once again, thanks for all the help on Town Hall. I will probably be BACK for more!
  • Options
    gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    My company will be ordering a bare bones XL (only extras will be Diamond pearl white, keyless entry and buckets) for me this week.

Any ideas/experience on how long before delivery?

Respeonses appreciated.
  • Options
    A week ago, I was quoted 7-9 weeks on a XLS with all options but sunroof. Yours might be easier...
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    I think its had to predict when you get a special order car.

In general I don't think that Toyota really builds anything to order in the U.S. What you do is wait until what you want is built.

You also may get a call that says, do you mind taking the car with Moonroof and leather...

They do build to order in Japan.
  • Options
    daddyvetdaddyvet Member Posts: 3
    Can one get by with regular fuel in the Avalon....or will it cause some problem(s)?
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    If you do a search, you'll find many other posts about this topic. But to answer your question, no, you don't need to use premium fuel and it will not harm the vehicle. The engine uses knock control sensors to prevent detonation so will work fine with 87 octane

Ken
  • Options
    buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    In January, 2003, my '96 Avalon "check engine" light came, just as my California registration needed renewal, thus a requirement for smog testing. Cause of check engine light: "Purge valve needed replacement". Did repair at Toyota dealer for $204 plus tax.

Following week I get Toyota letter which extends emissions warranty of certain facets of car's emissions system. Extention is quoted at 150K miles and 17 years of ownership, whichever occurs first. Of 10 or so components, "Purge Valve" is listed. So, today I sent in Toyota receipt for work, and I expect full reimbursement.

I posted on this thread thinking more Avalon readers here than on maintenence.
  • Options
    founda98founda98 Member Posts: 11
    in message 2016, Nomad56 referenced the door lock ECU receiver - where is ECU located and how do I recognize it? Just purchased a 98 XLS (with 25k!). Am getting additional remote (ebay) and want to try. Also, regarding front suspension 'clunk/knock' noise, this car had worn upper strut mounts. Replacing them (at dealer $$$) solved it nicely. Thx, founda98
  • Options
    founda98-If I recall, the ECU is is in the trunk, behind the left wheel. Ground the programming pin (#9). FYI:Toyo numbers top left pin #1 and across to the right for EVERY pin "position", even if there is NOT a pin, then down to the next row. This is as you look into the WIRING HARNESS!!!! NOT at the pin positions on the ECU!!!!!! Therefore, #9 on the ECU will be in row two, second from right.

NOW, you are in programming mode.

Depress any key on the FOB.

The cars "response" tells you whether or not it accepted the new code. If it LOCKS, UNLOCKS all doors, then OPENS the TRUNK, it was a success. Responses other than this mean different things. ie) LOCK, LOCK, LOCK, UNLOCK, TRUNK, may be a failed ECU, etc...more later, if needed, I do NOT have my service manual at hand. I hope this helps. -nomad-
  • Options
    gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    FYI - my fleet manager says early May on my car.
    Not a commitment but an estimate.

Sounds like 9 weeks and that footie was right- not built to order but built when they make a batch of like vehicles.

I'll let you know.
  • Options
    nddognddog Member Posts: 2
    My husband recently purchased an Avalon for his company through Columbia Fleet for $1,000 under invoice. Please contact me at nddog2003@yahoo.com and I can give you there phone number.
  • Options
    gnawk719gnawk719 Member Posts: 14
    New 2003 xlswith 4000 miles. Odometer runs slow by about 3%. Anyone with similar problem? What is involved in getting it checked or repaired? Own car so odometer reading not a problem. Is it more trouble to get it fixed or should I just leave it alone?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Don't quote me here, but I think 3% error is within acceptable tolerance. They are all wrong by a bit because they don't work off a GPS. I am assuming you found the error by using a GPS right? Try it in another car and you will find the same thing.
  • Options
    stmechstmech Member Posts: 19
    I took Nomad56's advice (see my message #1964 and his message #2012) and installed the Tokico struts on my 2000 XLS. My reaction is identical to his. Big improvement in the ride characteristics of the vehicle. No more wallowing. Handles rough roads much better. Definitely superior to the OEM struts even when they were brand new. No, it's no BMW, but it's not a Buick any more either. I understand that many Avalon owners are satisfied with the stock ride of the vehicle. If you are, then by all means don't be tempted to change - you'll probably not like it and be mad for spending the $$. I, for one, am completely satisfied. I just wish I had done it sooner.

By the way, I bought the struts from Toysport in California (Toysport.com). That was as recommended by Nomad56 on this board. I paid $380 for all four, including shipping to New Jersey. That was the best price I found by internet shopping. Also, I paid no sales tax since this was an out of state purchase.

Installation cost $260, including an alignment after installation. So the whole job was not cheap ($640). Nomad gave some installation advice for do it yourself work. 20 years ago, I would have tackled it myself. (In fact I did on another car.) Cars are pretty intimidating to work on these days.

Nomad56 gives good advice.
  • Options
    kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    This is an actual complaint someone filed on the NHTSA website, did he/she not realize they could lower the seat or raise the steering wheel???
    Hope this person doesn't have a cell phone in the car.

Make : TOYOTA Model : AVALON Year : 2003 Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0 ODI ID Number : 10001386 Date of Failure: October 29, 2002 Component: STEERING:WHEEL AND HANDLE BAR Summary:
    [ ] CONSUMER STATES WHEN STEERING WHEEL IS IN "DRIVE" POSITION CAN NOT SEE SPEEDOMETER READING FROM 40MPH AND UP. ALSO TO SET CRUISE CONTROL HAVE TO TAKE EYES OFF FROM ROAD BECAUSE CAN NOT SEE SPEEDOMETER DUE TO STEERING WHEEL OR DASHBOARD DESIGN. T
  • Options
    rsanchez62rsanchez62 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody has any experience with OEM leather replacement seat covers for avalon XL, recently
    purchase leather trim kit to replace original cloth seats ???
  • Options
    Classis Soft Trim [http://www.classicsofttrim.com/index.html] is discussed in some detailtundrasolutions.com [you have to register]. All good reports there...

Their local installation shop here in my location is highly recommended by both the Honda and Toyota dealer. I had been considering it but decided to order an XLS instead because of the navigation option, mainly.

My guess is that you'd come out with something better than factory leather.
  • Options
    Following up my previous message #2054. While I prefer the ride and feel of the Avalon with the new Tokico struts, I have found that this is not necessarily shared by everyone who rides in the car. I have heard a complaint that the ride is "busier" than before. I think that means the car reacting to more road surface irregularities. Thought I should make mention of this because these struts might not be everyone's cup of tea. I remain satisfied.
  • Options
    stmech-GOOD HEADS UP for anyone considering the change..."BUSY" is a good word. I noticed more "feedback"...and the car was more "aware" of smaller road imperfections (see post 2024). When advising anyone, considering the upgrade, I noticed these people were expressing a desire for more "performance".....and any increase in handling performance will yield a more rigid platform. The more handling you want....the more bumps you get. These are more bumps but, it is never "harsh". (FYI: I have 15" wheels) The Tokicos IMO are a great combination of "ride" and "handling". The car is definitely more fun to drive. It's NO Acura TL type "S" but, then again, it's NO Buick! -nomad-
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Does the 2003 XLS ride the same as the previous models? My father has this car and I thought it rode very well on secondary roads too, but this car still has less then 4k miles. Do the struts get weak as the car accumulates mileage? In fact, the Avalon has a smoother ride than the 97 DeVille that it replaced (comparing to the Cadillac now with over 100k miles and original struts). The Avalon does not seem underdamped now, but if the struts get any weaker I can see why people are not satisfied. The Cadillac seems to have a firmer ride even with 100k miles, but I would not say it is better.
  • Options
    My 2000 XLS was way under damped as I drove it away from the dealer (brand new car). I knew this when I test drove one and knew it when I bought it. I can't speak for the 2003 model, nor can I compare my taste to someone else's. This is very subjective territory so you can't really compare my opinion (or Nomad's - he and I seem to agree on this) to your own. You have to make that determination for yourself. Bottom line - if you are satisfied, stay satisfied and don't change. I wouldn't expect any deterioration for many, many miles. You'll probably get a new car before you would change the struts.
  • Options
    I have an XLS so it came with Leather but I recently just purchased another new Sequoia and this time I added Leather (my '01 Sequoia had it from the factory). I used, at my dealer's reccomendation, Classic Soft Trim.

I have to say the hides were of higher quality than that of my '01 Sequoia and are just as nice the those on my '00 Avalon XLS.

They did a fantastic job on the install and I feel I have a superior product.
  • Options
    chetzchetz Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know of any resources for altering/ replacing/upgrading the speakers for the 2003 Avalon stereo.

I have searched all over the web but can't find anything.

BTW, nice car.
  • Options
    dabossdaboss Member Posts: 4
    I have been pricing Toyotas since back in 1989 and have always had the same problem over and over. They want the sticker price and do not want to deal. Well the car I currently have is no longer reliable so I have been shopping around for a few weeks. I narrowed my search down to 3 cars. Toyota Avalon, Acura TL type-S and Infiniti G35. I would love a caddy but resale makes it a ridicules purchase. I dropped the Acura for 2 reasons. It was a tight fit for me and the 1.6% failure rate of transmissions that have been posted on the Acura web sites. Between the Avalon and the G35 I test drove both cars each were very good but completely different. The G35 handled excellent, you feel the road, hear more outside noise and I was a little more cramped inside it. The exterior body style is awesome it should keep up with the next generation of cars. Now what I couldn’t get over was the acceleration and the breaking. This was the best I have had the pleasure of driving since the early 70s. This car has POWER!!!. The price was unfortunately non-negotiable. $35,000 they would be nice and take $500 off the sticker. I had to say all that because I ended up with a 2003 Avalon XLS completely fully loaded. Not one option that is offered is missing. Carpets Mats/trunk mat, Premium Lux pkg, Toyo Guard plus, Spoiler, Nav system, Gold pkg, color splashguards, moon roof, wind deflector, V skid control, Diamond white pearl paint and extended platinum 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty. $28,900.
    I took the luxury of the Avalon over the performance of the Q35. It all came down to the price. Both are excellent vehicles.
  • Options
    Chetz, try www.crutchfield.com click car speakers and subwoofers under the shop for car products on the left side of the page, that will bring you to a vehicle selector page, there will be several choices for front and rear door replacements. I like mine just fine, don't know if I would notice that much difference in after market speakers.
  • Options
    mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    Congrats on the new Avalon. Since yours had all the options-2 questions:
    1-was yours a cash buy @ $28,900 or did a trade-in figure as part of the deal?
    2-this seems to be the best price quoted on this site-where did you buy from?
  • Options
    Chetz, try www.crutchfield.com click car speakers and subwoofers under the shop for car products on the left side of the page, that will bring you to a vehicle selector page, there will be several choices for front and rear door replacements. I like mine just fine, don't know if I would notice that much difference in after market speakers.
  • Options
    dabossdaboss Member Posts: 4
    There is an option in N.E. Florida for a Gold Package that is $179 MSRP. My dealer though it in the package with my car but what exactly is the Gold Package on the Avalon. The price of my Avalon included a 1995 Mercury trade in.
  • Options
    avalon22avalon22 Member Posts: 8
    I know this may be a bit premature, but does anyone have any knowledge of any changes to the 2004 Avalon, whether it be interior, exterior, tires, rims, guages, etc....?
  • Options
    chetzchetz Member Posts: 6
    " don't know if I would notice that much difference in after market speakers..."

I think you can improve significantly on speakers made from paper. I was fishing for an audio enthusiast with an Avalon out there.
  • Options
    chetz-Speakers are not too hard to upgrade. People I KNOW have installed: JL AUDIO VR525-CS This is a 5 1/4 that a friend put in his Avy, with light mods to door/panel. Also, Polk EX series (I am assuming these product lines are current!) Basically 4" mid-drivers and 3/4" tweeters. SOME 1" tweeters will fit...without a hammer! If you are a DIY'er the 4" mids are easier. A SUB, is up to you...the trunk is BIG! Head unit. Anything goes. It's a standard double-din opening. Wiring is the tricky part. 2 options: 1) If just upgrading speakers, TAP into the existing leads. 2)If you are changing everything, and may, or may not, someday go back to OEM, I recommend NOT touching the factory harness or amp(most Avy's have the separate amp???) and run your own wire to the new locations. If you want to avoid running speaker wire, you have to TAP into the harness AFTER the amp!!!! This type of work starts to look like Michael Jackson's face.... I will gladly try to answer any Q's -nomad-
  • Options
    luffnuttluffnutt Member Posts: 13
    chetz, I have the JBL 7 speaker system and I think it does fairly well, with the bass set at maximum and the volume cranked to as loud as I can take withoutpain, I did not notice any fuzziness or distortion. You are correct that the speakers and enclosures are the weakest link in audio systems. Oh bring back the Electo-Voice SP-12 woofer and the T-35 Tweeter in a Karlson enclosure, pushed by a tube type amplifier, mono in those days. That gets Charley ofF the MTA.
  • Options
    luffnuttluffnutt Member Posts: 13
    When I was looking for a new car in December'02 I thought about looking at the Nissen Maxmia and maybe the G-35. Very impressive specifications for both, however I was not overly happy with the local dealership. My late wife had a '97 Maxima and it was a good performer. The original dealership was sold and the new owners, (they had two other brands locally) appeared to be more expensive for any type of work done. My new wife had a '79 Cadillac that blew a head gasket and was not economically feasible to repair it. We picked this one together and she really likes it, she preferres to move out smartly, (lead foot)and yet it rides smooth enought for a pair of 70 year old riders. Got to play with the VSC and ABS in the snow, on a parking lot, but I am not quite sure about the traction control yet. I kinda like to experiment in a controlled situation so I don't get too may surprises when it is really needed.
  • Options
    bigbluekybigblueky Member Posts: 11
    HELLO TO ALL, I HAVE A 97 AVALON XLS WITH 112,000 MLS ON IT. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT TOYOTA HAS INCREASED THE WARRANTY ON ITS EMISSION RELATED PARTS TO 150,000 MLS. I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE, BECAUSE I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY CAT CONVERTER AND OXYGEN SENSORS. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATIVE. I LOVE MY CAR AND IT'S BEEN GREAT SO FAR, BUT EMISSION PARTS FOR THIS CAR ARE VERY HIGH DOLLAR AND WOULD LOVE TO GET IT FIXED FOR FREE OR LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.