Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
  • creoleboicreoleboi Member Posts: 2
    Hello, im in the market for a new car and ive narrowed my choices to the '05 nissan sentra 1.8s and the corolla s but when i visited the msn/auto website i noticed that under the reliability/review ratings they stated that from 2000, 2001, and 2002 the sentra had major problems with its engine. Im wondering if I should reconsider purchasing a sentra even though its less expensive than corolla due its significant engine problems in the past.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    No real problems with the car except that the mileage isn't as good as the Corolla. Besides that, not a bad car for the money.

The Sandman :-)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I would imagine the bad engine ratings were due to a few recalls issued. The engines themselves are reliable but there were a few recalls for parts that could lead to engine failure. There have been no further recalls since 2002 on the engine. I must say though that the Sentra is quite archaic compared to the Corolla, or any other economy car for that matter. If you can get one for cheap, its a reasonable set of wheels, but definitely not very refined, powerful, fuel efficient, or roomy.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I agree. This Sentra's time has passed, unless you're looking at an SE-R or SE-R Spec V.

I love my 03 2.5LE (purchased Jan 03)- but at that point, it had comparative advantages- a 165hp 4 cylinder, 4 wheel discs with ABS, and side airbags with head protection.

Now, many competitors offer similar features, more room, better crash scores, fuel economy, etc.

I'd recommend a Hyundai Elantra for bargain shoppers, and if you can find one with ABS and side curtains, the Corolla is an excellent mix of economy, safety, refinement, room, and reliability.

~alpha
  • yanksfanyanksfan Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me the best winter tires for my new Spec V? I definitely cannot survive here in New England on the stock tires in the winter. Thanks guys!

-Brian
  • kingtriton04kingtriton04 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 1.8S with the road trip package, inboard micro filter, and the splash guards all for $10.5k out the door. It was a lost leader and they only sold 2 of these.

Great car!!!!
  • vspecpowervspecpower Member Posts: 1
    Hey i just joined this forum to look for some answers. A friend of mine told me that the motors for the SE-R and the Spec-V go bad at about every 40,000 miles. He mentioned somethin about the motors blowing of seizing up. I assume by your message that you are talking about the same subject. Even if you are not, do you know anything about this. I am very pleaseed with my 2002 SE-R v-spec but I just dont want anything to happen that will affect my wallet. But what would my friend know he drives a 97 Caviler so hes prolly just running his mouth. Thanks for the help. NISMO power!
    I dont think thats the case, or else Nissan would be facing a much bigger issue, since the same engine powers 85% of Altimas on the road. Tell your friend to enjoy his 8 year old Cavalier.

~alpha
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Hi all

Does any one get the spy-shot/info about 2006 sentra? It was great to see the 2006 Civic Si with 2L with 200hp! Hope 2006 SE-R will be more than 175hp!
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    I am starting to get radio interference on the AM (560 AM if this freq helps). The interference is RPM dependent. Has anyone had any interference from the ignition system, and what did you do to correct it?

Turboshadow
  • mjchsfmjchsf Member Posts: 16
    Why was it so cheap? What incentives did you get? The invoice is close to $15,000 including destination charge for an automatic. Is it manual or auto?
  • komara706komara706 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to know the answer to this - I have a 1998 with 122,000 miles on it and I've never changed the timing belt. How come it isn't listed in the Nissan maintenance on-line information at missan.com?
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    Because it has a timing *chain* not a timing belt. It does not need to be changed. This is one of the major reasons I purchased a Sentra. I got tired of 60K belt replacements on Hondas.

Turboshadow
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Don't become complacent with that timing chain. They may not need to be replaced at certain intervals but you still need to keep an eye on the chain guides. If you let them wear out, or allow the auto adjustment system to leak oil, the chain will stretch and break just like any belt. The chain broke on my former 91 Stanza at 144k due to worn guides and trashed the head. Had it been a belt that was changed at regular intervals, it never would have happened. Timing chains give a false sense of never needing attention. Since that occured, I no longer feel a chain provides much of an improvement over a belt, especially when most belts only require changing every 100k.
  • maj4479maj4479 Member Posts: 1
    I agree that your father cannot be in this car if this is going to keep happening. I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra GXE, and the mass air flow meter/sensor has gone out for the second time. I suggest you do your best to harp on Nissan North America to get your fathers car fixed for free. The corporation apparently doesn't care about the safety and financial burdone's regular people have to face with lemons. I hate this car now! If Nissan is not gonna care about your situation, of course they are not going to care about anyone's.
  • eugene4eugene4 Member Posts: 1
    I had a questiion about my insrument panel lights were you see the gear your in for an automatic. If is not lit up do I change a fuse or what?
  • apm994apm994 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought an '87 sentra hatchback for 900 bucks and i was wondering if there is a more powerful engine i can swap in for it, and if so how fast can i make this car if i really wanted too, i know it is an 87 but im poor and i go to college
    if anyone can help me out i thank you greatly
  • baja1baja1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering getting my daughter a 2001 Sentra GXE for her first car. The one she likes is abit of a distance from where we live.

The dealer is unsure if the vehicle has ABS brakes. This is one of our "must haves". Does anyone know how you can determine if this car has abs brakes short of driving it? Is there a code in the VIN# or somewhere else in the vehicle.

BTW it has 41000 miles and he's asking $6900. What should the vehicle sell for in good + condition?

Thanks for any feedback.
  • flacitybugflacitybug Member Posts: 2
    Found this site trying to troubleshoot new noises coming from my '01 Sentra GXE. I just wanted to put my two cents in, and say I hate this car. This is the first new car I ever bought, and it has really not met my expectations. The power windows don't work (roll down but have to force them back up) The CD Player won't read discs (less than 2 years old)
    The plastic dipstick broke inside the tube, had to spend hours to fish it out, only to be replaced by another that is just as bad. Uses much more gas than expected. I have an '89 Honda Civic that I don't even take good care of, and yet never gives me problems and still gives me 35mpg after 239k miles. I would recommend anything other than a Sentra!!!
    03 Sentra 2.5LE. Not a single problem in 43,000 mi other than two easily taken care of voluntary recalls. The rear seat is cramped, the cupholders suck, and the resale value isnt that great. Those are the negatives. Otherwise, I love the car's 165 hp engine, side impact head protection airbags, reliability, and handling. The all wheel disc ABS bring the car down to a stop quite affirmatively as well. My average MPG isnt spectacular- about 25- but I drive fairly aggressively.

The car isnt tops in its class, and one similar to mine is no longer offered, but I LOVE it, and can't wait to see what Nissan does for the redesign. At this time, I think the best bet for most people is a Mazda 3 with ABS/Side Curtains, a Corolla LE with ABS/Side Curtains, or on the bargain front, a (soon to be replaced) Elantra with ABS.

~alpha
  • 00sentragxe00sentragxe Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    I have a 200 Sentra GXE, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to upgrade my performance. If it is even worth it. I only have 31,500 miles. so far its been a good little car. besides for the Mass air flow sensor and both axles going bad
  • skilgroskilgro Member Posts: 1
    check this site out, I have a maxima and I would assume it would be the same, all I had to do is remove the glove box and change the filter.

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's Garage/2002MaxSE/In-Cabin Microfilter Change.htm
  • mgrablinmgrablin Member Posts: 1
    Looking for someone who solved this problem. I parked my 2002 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V. within a few minutes I tried to start the vehicle. It acted like the battery was suddenly dead. I had a three red lights on the dash but the rest was dead. Could not even close the moon roof. A battery charger would not solve the problem. With the charger attached I was able to get dome light the the started clicks like a low battery. The terminals are clean and all the fuses beside the battery look good. Any suggestions
  • drewnsdrewns Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I'm new to this message board and just so happened that saw your topic. I do agree with you. I also got a Nissan Sentra GXE 2001. I got it used though. Nissan dealer said the car was only used during show rooms. Anyway, I agree about the gas...terrible. No pick up at all, my old ford festiva accelerates even better. I do have a question that you might know. The light on my gear shift is no longer lighting up when the car is on. Do you know how to change that? I can't figure out how to take the whole thing apart. Any advise other than get rid of it. he he Thanks. Drewns
    Anyone know how to replace the light in the gear shift? I doesn't look like it's easy to remove the cover? It's the light that lits up so you can see if you're on Park, Drive, Neutral and so forth. Any help from someone will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Drew- OHIO
    Cool, I just posted the same question today. Did you get a response yet? I do have 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE. Drew-OHIO
  • liu_wanboliu_wanbo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem either on my 2000 Sentra GXE. And the mpg is about 25 local. I don't know if it is reasonable.
    Maybe for automatic, 25 mpg local is about right but not great either. How's you car's pick up? I have to use the overdrive a lot of times when taking off. My 2001 Sentra GXE doesn't have any power at all. Maybe that's why I use a lot of gas during take offs or when I have to speed up, I have to floor it just to get a little bit over 65 mph.
  • smellingersmellinger Member Posts: 2
    My 16 yr old daughter wants to buy a 1993 Sentra, 2dr, 99K miles, auto trans. ....any feedback on these older models?
    Thanks.
  • slash1slash1 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I hear that these Sentra's are good cars. I am keeping an open mind. But I have had a bad month:

I have a 2001 Sentra GXE. 71000 miles. The engine light first went on 6 weeks ago. The car started to run rough (like missing) and idled low. I took it to the local Nissan dealership and the diagnostics showed an O2 sensor was bad. So I got it replaced. They said I should also change the plugs in case a plug misfire caused the problem. So after the $280 O2 sensor and $80 plugs (yep, $20 a piece NGK's) I took it home. The light promptly came back on. Angered (I'll keep it clean), I took the car to another place (ProCare). They diagnosed an O2 sensor problem. They said the dealership replaced the wrong one. After $264, the 2nd O2 sensor was replaced. I took the car home. The light promptly came back on and the car AGAIN was running rough. More irritated, I took the car 100 miles to another Nissan dealership in hopes of finding either competency or honesty. As you can tell, I do not trust these places a second time after they rip me off. This dealership said that the ECU was bad and needed replaced. They said that because Sentra ECU's are known for being bad in this particular year, it had an 8 yr/80000 mi warranty on that part. So they replaced it free of charge to me.

My issue is this: I probably did not have a bad O2 sensor. I spent almost $600 replacing parts that were probably in perfect working order. Ok, I'll meet them half way. MAYBE one O2 sensor was bad. But most probably not both. Do you guys know how I could contact a Nissan rep to see if I could get any restitution? Would it be worth it? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    What exactly is this and is poor gas mileage a sympton?
    Thanks for any help.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • luridlloydluridlloyd Member Posts: 1
    My "87 nissan sentra dies after it's been running like a champ for years. This is sudden, and I know it's not lack of fuel or spark. My carburator has a window into the bowl(a first for me); it always has gas. I've watched the window when it stalls.
    It always has spark. Pcv valve, egr valve, MAP sensor it any, or what? I'm sure it's some kind of vacuum deal, but I'm not sure where. This was so sudden, that something obviously broke. The exhaust isn't clogged.
    Thanks for any Ideas. Lurid Lloyd
    Went to the dealer to try and purchase the alloy wheels that came on the Synergy Package and their price per wheel was outrageous. Has anyone put on aftermarket wheels on their Sentra and was the ride as smooth and vibration free as the steelies that came with the car? I tried aftermarket wheels on my 1979 B-210 and they could never get them balanced without any shimmy or vibration.
    I've seen other Nissan wheels on EBAY and very hesitant about switching rims as the car runs smooth as glass now and I don't want any problems if I do switch. I know there's a problem with different fitments and they have to be hub centric. Went to a rim store and they advised me to keep my steelies as I would never get the same smooth ride with any other wheels. Saw some nice one's at Sears also.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

The Sandman :-)
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    First, questions. Should I have the timing chain replaced at 60K miles on my 2000 sentra? It has the 1.8L . If so should I let a nissan dealer do the work? They sent me a flyer this week offering to do the job for $359.

Here are the highlights or my 5 years and 57K miles with the sentra GXE.

Wheels replaced do to recall. No charge.

Hesitation when engine is cold. This occurs without fail if I don't let the car warm up. I'll drive a block or so to the first place where I gradually let off on the gas in anticipation of stopping. The engine stutters just for a second and then runs fine. I don't have this problem in summer months. I took it to three dealers while it was under warranty and none could duplicate / diagnose the problem. I even left if over night so they could experience the cold engine. No luck. So far this is just an annoyance, but I fear someday the other shoe may drop.

Air Conditioner - faulty wire. During the first month after purchasing this car new I noticed that on some days the a/c would stop producing cold air for short periods. Of course the dealer could never find the problem until - you guessed it - 2 months after the warranty expired - they found a wire bundle that had a short. Problem solved for ten cents worth of wire and $100 labor.

Alternator belt. Shredded itself at about 38K miles. Seems premature to me.

Front wheel bearing. Starting grinding at 55K miles. Decided to replace both just in case. While they had the front wheels off the mechanic shows me the rotors. The outer 1/8 inch was rusted. He explained that while the surface that made contact was still serviceable, the outer edge would soon contact the pad assemble or something like that. I frankly didn't understand what he was saying, still don't. Anyway, I bought his sales pitch since he said that there would be no labor charge for replacing the rotors since they were already off for the bearing change. Total cost for the bearing and rotor replacement -- $480. ouch. By the way. The pads were still good. Has anyone ever heard of a case where the original break pads lasted longer that the original rotors? :cry:

I average 36 mpg on the highway, 30 in town, and 32 mpg combined and I check it on every tank. Best ever 40 mpg, worst 29 mpg.

Overall, not a bad car. Knowing what I do now I would make the same choice if I had to do it over again. This was the new model (basically same as current) in the summer of 2000 when I bought it and at the time was IMO the best choice in its class.

Lastly, if I ever meet the sorry so and so who designed the placement of the oil filter and catalytic converter I'm going to strangle him. The filter sits directly above the converter surrounded by other engine and suspension parts. This makes it extremely difficult to remove/replace and results in oil dripping on the cat. That leads to a burning oil smell for the first week after every oil change. Not to mention the thrill of burning your wrist on the cat as you struggle to detach the filter. :mad:
  • navygz19navygz19 Member Posts: 6
    the ECU's (or ECM's as Nissan calls them) are known to be bad...i own a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V and the ECM died at about 50K miles, and i have the 2.5L not the 1.8. needless to say now, my car is once again back in the shop getting a new motor...one of the butterfly screws on the butterfly valve in the lower intake manifold backed itself off and was sucked into the #1 cylinder...a problem that a LOT of 2.5 sentra's and altima's have that Nissan is aware of but refuses to place a recall on. so yeah, 3 yrs old, barely 60K miles, and already a new ECM, Mass Airflow Sensor and now a new motor...never been so dissapointed in a car before in my life :sick:
  • sentra04sentra04 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sentra 1.8S. I put a CD-R in my cd player, which usually reads them fine, but now the cd player will not eject my cd. When I first turn on the car, it will read the cd and play it. But when I try to eject the cd, it will not come out, the "CD in" signal disappears, and the cd player makes a weird noise.

Does anyone know of a manual override for this? Is there ANY way to get the cd to come out without taking it to a shop? Thanks for your help!
  • blizmanblizman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 se-r and have also had a mass airflow sensor go bad. Rather than pay the 500 plus dollars for the part, I went online to junkyards and got the part for $120 and had my mechanic put it in for $70. No problems since. This is a relatively common problem with Sentras. The real issue with this part is that only Nissan makes it. You can't just go to NAPA and get the part. This part is small and way overpriced. Overall though the sentra is not bad for reliability but the dealerships are the way they are due to the lack of company support.
    Tom
    They fixed my trunk leak last week under warranty. The rubber stripping was loose or something. I had wetness around the spare and the cardboard had a stain. For some reason the jack was on top of the carpet. Put it back and saw and felt the wetness.
    Got the part in and fixed 2 days later.

The Sandman :)
  • marienhillmarienhill Member Posts: 3
    Okay, I tried to start the car, and when I put the key in the ignition and attempt to turn it toward the on-position, there is a distinct ticking (even-speed) noise heard--it stops once the car reaches the on-position, and the car does not start.

However, while in the on-position, it tries to start--and this can be heard as the engine turns; it just does not turn on the car. :cry:

The lights, radio, windows, locks, everything works. Just not the car itself.

Problems leading up to this problem include the 2002 Sentra quitting while driving. No warning, just stopping while driving. It would start right up again after having stopped, however now it does not.

I switched out the fuel pump relay, but it was to no avail either.

Do you guys think that the problem is a faulty fuel pump itself or is there another culprit?
  • isyisy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra at my check engine light has been on forever, my gas pedal sticks and my driver and passenger windows don't work they have been like that since 2003. My husband took apart the driver window since Nissan dealer New City Nissan in Honolulu Hawaii said they would not cover under warranty, what he found was a completely frayed cable that makes the window go up and down, the motors work well but a frayed cable cannot go through a pulley. Nissan wants anywhere from $450. up per window to fix, seems to me with all the comments that I have read on web sights that this is a Nissan problem and should have a recall. I have been on the phone on hold with Nissan for over an hour so far this time they are impossible to reach, guess they don't like the customers that feed them. No more Nissan products for us we also have a Nissan Frontier bought 2 cars the same day sure don't get any service I guess you live and learn.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Sorry to hear about your problems. But I hear similar complains from the owners of other makes as well. On the other negative note from Nissan I've heard that they are delaying new Sentra intro in US. Nissan's Carlos Ghosn was talking about a few month delay. Does anyone have the specifics on it?
    I have a 2002 Sentra GXE; 101K miles: 1,000 over the extended warranty that I had purchased.

I went in for the recall on the ECM foam a couple of months back, however I believe that the damage to my ECM was already done, as not long after having had the recall, my car started dying while driving.

After attempting to self-diagnose, I finally had it towed to the Nissan dealership this morning.

Their diagnosis? Their reader was not able to connect to the car--the same problem I was having with my OBD II Reader.

So, their "diagnosis" was that I needed a new computer--and THEN they could see if anything else is wrong with the car.

They haven't even checked wires/cables going to the ECM--they are just charging me for a new ECM.

Mind you, I would be okay with this, had there not been a reason leading up to this ECM failure--the reason for the recall was to stop the result of not having the recall in the first place--as they say on their recall page on the Nissanusa website: "This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on or poor driveability. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning."

My car still did this until recently when it just would not start.

I'm stuck over the weekend without a car because, after having called multiple Nissan spokespeople (via their (800) numbers), I was left on a string: I can't get my car from the Nissan dealership without paying for a new ECM which (1) I'm not ultimately sure is necessary, and (2) I would have to pay for--but I believe should be covered.

Needless to say, should there be no responses to this post, I'm quite an irate Sentra owner at this moment in time--a shame because I enjoyed my red car. :sick:
  • djdraztik723djdraztik723 Member Posts: 1
    Okay.... i have a problem and i think it is my ECM but I am not sure. I got rear ended and my car went into the body shop. After my car was done the body shop guy tried to move my car. The car started and idles fine but when you try to move the car, it wont rev past 1600 RPMs. I got one of my buddies to help me check it out, he plugged in the scanner and it gave off an error code of 0605 which is a code for an ECM error. I bought a used ecm and went to nissan for them to program it to the key. They said that the new ecm was not giving off any codes to decode a key and it did not work. So i got another used one and brought it there and that one also did not work. I dont know what to do now. Have you ever had this problem? I have a 2002 spec v also. i have only 400 miles over 60k so my warranty is over. I have been out of a car for 3 months now and im tired of dealing with it. Please let me know what you think the problem is. Thanks :cry:
  • alert5alert5 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I have the same problem. It makes it hard for me to listen to coast to coast am. I purchased a noise filter, but, haven't been able to install it yet. I'll keep you posted.
    I have a '03 GXE, while not a great car, has only had 2 warranty issues.
    (1) Cracked evaporator pan in the a/c which left a puddle of water in passenger foot well. took going to 2 dealers and finally showing the mechanic and service writer that there was "water" to get the new pan put in.
    (2) Replaced the rubber seal around the trunk lid and cardboard piece over spare tire last week. The spare tire well had water down there and they said this rubber strip needed replacement.
    What is the ECM and where can I find if my vehicle is included in the recall? The only thing I don't like is the mileage, but after 2 diagnosis...everything is "in specs", so they say it's o k. Wish it had mileage like my past Corolla's, but car drives nicely and much better since the "Poortenza's" that came on the car have been swapped out for great Turanza tires.
    Any help on this ECM issue would be appreciated!

The Sandman
  • newspurnewspur Member Posts: 1
    CAn Somebody please tell me how to change the light on the gear shifter in the center console. An e-mail a link or something with information on how to do this would be very usefull. Please respond.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone can help, please reply here in the discussion so that it will benefit all of our members - thanks!
  • afiguyafiguy Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone, I just bought a 2005 Sentra SE-R Spec V last Saturday and love it! So far, seems like a real value, and a great buy. The only question I have is I cannot seem to find any good aftermarket stuff online for it. Anyone know of any good websites, or companies that sell quality aftermarket stuff for the '05 Spec V? I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. I am probably just spoiled because I had a 1995 Accord EX prior too, and there are millions of aftermarket stuff floating around for those, and I guess I am not used to having to research as much. I would appreciate any ones help, thanks!
    At this time there don't seem to be any recalls on 2003 Sentras. Their recall website is pretty helpful:

http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,action-NRecallPublicLanding_sctid-51054,00.html

Just put in your model and year! :)