Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Acura 3.2TL -
Four
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• kentfeng11kentfeng11 Member Posts: 3
    For the past three days, after i start the engine. I realize the "maint req'd" light was blinking for a few second. I didn't feel anything wrong with the car when i drive it. Anybody knows what causes the light to blink? I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, hope it is not a serious problem.
  • fortunate2001fortunate2001 Member Posts: 21
    The maintenance light begings to blink on startup when you approach a maintenance interval (oil change). When you hit the interval (7500 miles) it comes on steady. You can reset it by holding the select and reset buttons down while turning on the ignition, hold for 5-10 sec until light goes out.

Basically its a fancy oil change reminder.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    After finding out on this message board a few months ago that a fix kit was available for the TL sunroof rattle noise problem (the rattle which ocurred with the sunroof open OR closed), i called my dealer and told them to order one. Took the car in last week and had them "install" the kit. I found out that all the kit consisted of was "modified" sunroof wind-deflector clips which did solve the problem for now. They also HAD to grease the rubber seals again, which is making a nasty mess on the paint and glass surrounding the rubber. I wish they hadnt done that. For those of you experiencing this rattle, ask for the kit! If the dealer "claims" they never heard of it, tell them it IS available! Oh, by the way, the car is in today for the RECALL for the SRS light. They had to order a kit for that too. Hopefully this marks the end of kit ordering.
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one day my mom was driving the car, she started, and fastened her seatbelt. The car was so quiet, that she hadnt even realized the car DID start the first time. So, she went and turned the key again!! Of course, the starter made that horrific noise. How bad is this?? Is there going to be any permanent damage? Thanks...
  • dougsilverdougsilver Member Posts: 62
    What wind deflector. I have cars with sunroofs/moonroofs in the past that had a metal bar pop up in the front when the sun/moonroof was opened. I always considered this to be the wind deflector. Our TL does not have such a bar.
  • karluvverkarluvver Member Posts: 10
    does anyone know where we can get a wood steering wheel for our TL?, without having a friend in Japan? I understand it is available for the European spec. TL but how about us?
  • bjohnson71bjohnson71 Member Posts: 33
    Karluvver,

Try www.acura-tl.com. They are currently discussing a group buy.
    I know which bar you are referring to in the other cars. I am not sure if that is a wind deflector (exterior) since it is located under the top surface of the exterior (its located in that "sandwich" where the roof slides into when closing). I had thought of that as a wind deflector also in the I30 i have. However, I was referring to the exterior plastic deflector.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Are these cars still going for MSRP?
    INKY
  • chardonnaychardonnay Member Posts: 22
    Anyone out there had rust protection applied to their 3.2 TL? I had a 1986 Honda Prelude which was given an application of Rust Check every year for 14 years--- no rust.I sold it 3 months ago & now have a DWP Acura. Question- should i continue this on the 3.2? I really think its a good idea in this area of Ontario, Canada although Honda/Acura says it is not required.Perhaps they do not want me to keep this car for 10 years or so.
  • jzaubermanjzauberman Member Posts: 10
    Regarding 1stnewcar's dash rattle problem I had what I believe to be the same problem with a persistent very irritating rattle coming from the cowl/hood area over the instrument cluster. My dealer (Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills, Michigan) first replaced the black trim surrounding the instrument panel but the rattle continued. Ultimately the technician (Mike -- who was excellent, by the way) suspected that the noise might be the result of the clips in the black trim panel not seating properly in the dash itself due to a malformation in the clip receptors in the dash. A complete dashboard was ordered and installed. Presto -- rattle eliminated. In my case, prior to dash replacement the rattle went away if I pushed the black underside of the instrument cowl/hood upwards while driving. Absent pushing it up, the rattle manifested itself. Although I now have a slight bit of noise from the left side of the dash when going over really bad bumps, the constant rattling is gone. I was very impressed with the Dealer's (and the technician's) level of commitment to cure the problem.

Regarding Chardonnay's inquiry as to Rustcheck. I used to live in Toronto and had a 1984 Prelude done by them. I regretted doing so. Almost immediately after having the car "oil sprayed" strange noises developed which the dealer could never eliminate. I believe that the oil spray compound can break down the factory rustproofing and sound deadening compounds applied to the car and result in more harm than good. The Honda products are now generally not susceptible to rust, especially if you wax a couple of times a year and wash weekly. For what it's worth, I would not bother with rustproofing.
  • dave158dave158 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my TL for two months now and could not be more thrilled. It's a superb car, a genuine pleasure to drive, and a great value. My one concern to date is its gas consumption. So far I'm getting about 18-20 mpg. I've only driven it about 2000 miles, mostly stop and go, and am not particularly heavy on the accelerator. Maybe this is par for the course. But I'm wondering (and hoping) if its mpg improves as the car get thoroughly broken in. What's been the experience of those of you who have had your TLs for awhile?
  • abhidharmaabhidharma Member Posts: 93
    We've had our '00 TL for 12000 km now (about 7500 miles). I haven't kept "official" track of MPG, but it has most certainly improved over time.

We did our first extended road trip recently, and got tremendous mileage (relative to past cars on a similar journey).

Randy
  • kentfeng11kentfeng11 Member Posts: 3
    Recently, i notice a sqeaking noice coming out of the passenger seat when the seat is occupied. It occurs when i am driving on an uneven road. does anyone have the same problem? Does the dealer able to fix it? I am affraid that the dealer will try to find excuses and stay away from repairing it, which they always do. Any suggestion how should i approach the service people? This is a great car when everything is running fine. But i am one of those people that have bad luck and had most of defects discussed on this board.
  • swollamswollam Member Posts: 1
    We've had our '00 TL for about a year and it has around 15k miles. My wife recently took a trip in the car from Columbus OH to Washington DC and got 32.6 mpg.
    The car has been flawless.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Sometimes this is really simple: get some leather conditioner and make sure the areas where the surfaces can rub together get a good going over - especially where the seat back and seat bottom meet at the pivot point...
  • anikdotanikdot Member Posts: 1
    I have my TL for 6 months now. Forget about MPG. Who cares. This car is fun to drive. Trust me, it doesn't take more gas then any other car its class.
  • bk1bk1 Member Posts: 6
    Got my non-nav TL last week. As I noted in an earlier post, I paid 29,800 out the door with a handful of items included (mudguards, mats, wood shift knob...)- what looks like to be an average deal for the Maryland area. I've owned an Integra and a CL prior to the TL. The TL is incredible. It's just plain fun to drive!

On the car care front, what is the best wax out there for those of us with limited time to dedicate to our cars? How often do you really need to wax a car to keep it protected?

=BK
  • sheleeshelee Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if 2001 will add or change colors?
    Is the Pearl white 2000 standing up. Someone posted a Msg that the Bumpers can change color or or fade??? I know Premium gas is recommended but what generally do we use.
  • 1stnewcar1stnewcar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 TL with 2000 miles on it. When I hit sharp bumps the headlights flicker. Is this normal? I know it would not be for standard bulbs, but what about the HID headlights? The dealer claims not to know anything about this or its possible cause.
  • s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    I have not noticed that effect on my TL but I saw someone else complaining of that in another TL topic. It is supposedly normal for HID's.
  • abhidharmaabhidharma Member Posts: 93
    Headlights blinking -- is not normal. That comment sounds like dealer code for "I don't want to bother." The most logical cause is a loose connection.

Gas -- Premium is recommended. Lower octane is usable in a pinch but will result in decreased performance. Given that you just spent major coin on a near-luxury performance sedan, why bother just to save a few bucks?

Randy
    Are the headlights auto-leveling? That is, if you hit a bump, perhaps they appear to flicker when they are really just aimed way down for a second before they re-adjust? just a thought...
  • bhjordanbhjordan Member Posts: 1
    I think I got around 17 mpg on my first tank of gas (6000 miles ago). The mileage has continued to improve. I am getting about 24-25 mpg now in Houston traffic with the A/C on all the time.
  • chardonnaychardonnay Member Posts: 22
    I have a DWP except that the rub strip& the aero package is a slightly lighter shade. However it is passable,although dealer was not happy-he was surprised i took it. This automobile is running great & am getting 35/36 mpg in a combination of city 35% & 65% highway, however this is on our IMPERIAL gallon. I am now at 1500 miles am not a lead foot,i leave that to the NASCAR boys.
  • stephencstephenc Member Posts: 5
    The TL's headlights are not auto-leveling. If they are flickering of getting jostled when going over bumps, there is definitely something wrong.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    With 9 k miles, I average 25 in town with AC and 32 on trips. Mostly expressway few stops and starts in town.
    INKY
  • lhh5144lhh5144 Member Posts: 2
    I am taking delivery of my '00 TL in a couple of weeks and can hardly wait.
    How do any of you feel about the wheels and tires standard on the car?
    I'm not too fond of the package we get from the factory and am considering switching to a 17" wheel and tire package.
    I think it is a bargain when compared to the dealer's upgrade (which I don't like that much anyway!).
    Any thoughts or ideas what to do with the original tires and wheels!
    Thanks!
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    Any word on a 260-hp type s for 2001?
    I was at the dealer recently and asked just that- He said he didn;t know for sure, but expect an in dash 6CD, and memory seats, for 2001. Perhaps a Type S in 2002.

Not gospel, but believable.
  • sdolvensdolven Member Posts: 20
    If you use CarsDirect.com, you can get one w/Navi for $29,452 or go thru AutoBytel and they will price it even better!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    http://www.zainobros.com
    shines REALLY well
    easy to apply
    lasts for a really long time
    allows to build multiple coats, shine is deeper with each coat
  • QuazimotoQuazimoto Member Posts: 15
    Ditto! I use Zanio for both my cars. It really holds up and is beautiful! Hard to believe that a "car polish" make that much difference, but it does.
  • nohobbiesnohobbies Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used '96 Acura 3.2 TL with automatic
    transmission. I find it lugs at 40 MPH and 60 MPH. I heard it 'learns' driving habits, but I've
    had it for about 15,000 miles and it still lugs.
    Is there a way to reset it? Also, how do I get
    the code to reset my radio once I shut power to
    system?
    Thans
  • investormbinvestormb Member Posts: 13
    This is what I posted a couple days ago on the Smart Shopping section for the TL:

"I just talked with the sales manager here and he
    said that there will be a Type S offered for sure
    and that is all that Acura is telling him in
    regards to the 2001s. But he did say that he has
    heard unofficially several times that all the
    features standard on the 2001 CL would now be
    standard on the TL. This includes cd changer in
    dash and memory seats. He said there will be no
    major exterior changes. He said his allocation
    will get here around the end of Sept as Jbutler6
    said. As far as price goes, he said theirs will
    likely be priced in the low $30s, but did not know
    what the MSRP would be. The Acura dealer here is a "one price" dealer and they had the 2001 CLs
    priced at $32K when they first came out and now
    they are at $26.5/28.5 w/o nav/with nav. The TLs
    are at $28K w/o nav and $29.8 with nav so that
    should be a good bogey for anyone shopping for a
    2000 TL."

Hope this helps. Other people are confirming the above info on the Smart Shopping section I mentioned.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    Check by un-latching the passenger's seat belt briefly when you travel over rough roads. The squeaking sound could be coming out of the seatbelt at the point where you latch it.

I had this issue in my Integra after about 4 years of usage.

Later...AH
  • gbradygbrady Member Posts: 3
    Bought a new 2000 TL last month. Currently have 1400 miles on it. In the last 400 miles, I've experienced rattles in the sunroof (open or closed), both squeeks and rattles in the front passenger seat, a bubble in the paint that burst and began to bleed rust and an intermittent warning for the side air bags...My wife still loved the car but I'm getting a little nervous..I traded a Chrysler for this car in hopes that I wouldn't be seeing the dealer every month....Anyone else have these problems?? Has dealer been able to correct them??
  • maggiodmaggiod Member Posts: 1
    Tranny went bye-bye after only 4500 miles/3 months. Left me stranded 250 miles from home. Ran fine for 250 highway miles until I pulled off for fuel -- then nothing. I must say that Acura Roadside Assistance did a very nice job for me. They put it on a flatbed and brought it to my local dealer, plus offered up to $300 per day for expenses.
  • 95volvo85195volvo851 Member Posts: 1
    In response to post # 37, my 2000 Tl has about 3500 miles. I also have an intermittent mild squeak in the sun roof and in the dashboard. I am concerned that the dealer will not be able to find them if the noise is that there when I am at the dealer.

On the side airbag warning light, does it only come on when someone is in the passenger seat? As noted in the manual, the passenger air bag will be disabled and the warning light will go on if someone is leaning against it. This is an safety feature in case someone falls asleep against the door. Acura thinks it is better to disable the air bag then to have it hit a sleeping passenger.
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    In my ongoing study of the TL, I30 and Aurora, it is interesting to hear about the multiple problems TL owners are experiencing. Sorry to hear of the "squeaks, rattles and the blown tranny" (just to name a few of the problems on the TL. Hopefully Acura will get these problems cleared up soon.
  • taxman7taxman7 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a new 2000TL. How much over invoice should I be paying (w/o Nav.)?

Should I just wait until the 2001?

Thanks

John
  • kiptlkiptl Member Posts: 3
    Just got my TL three weeks ago, and I notice sometimes it takes longer to start the car no matter if the car's been driven or not. Also, there are few times the oil pressure light flashes once, right after the engine is started. Anyone out there has the same problem? Or anyone has comment & advise?
  • bjohnson71bjohnson71 Member Posts: 33
    Taxman,

With the TL you will need to change your expectations on pricing. You should ask "can I get any off of MSRP, if so how much'.

It appears most people paid between MSRP and approximately $500 off of MSRP. There are a few people that did better, but don't expect it.
    I have read several posts about squeaks, rattles, etc., However, I think that we see so much here because this is a forum to come for help, and so many posts are for just that- requests for help. The happy folks don't seek out this forum.

My experience with the 2000 TL has been nothing short of fantastic. No squeaks or rattles, no mechanical problems. Fit and finish are perfect. The car, after 10K miles, is still a blast to drive. And the NAV is so handy I can't imagine life without it now. (Kind of like the cell phone).

Anyone narrowing down to the TL vs. something else, my advise is if you can get past the bland styling, take a good look at the TL. I haven't regretted a single moment.
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    I echo your sentiments. The TL is wonderful, and I can't see living without the NAV.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    My feelings too. My TL has been FANTASTIC fit and finish / performance wise. I am a fanatic for fit and finish and have found this car to be as close to perfect as any other premium mass produced vehicle can be. No squeaks no rattles nothing but a silky smooth engine and a fantastic transmission. Fantastic highway mileage too (averages about 33-34 with full time AC at about 70-85 mph).

No complaints whatsoever ! Complaints ?!!! This car puts a smile on my face everytime I go out with it !!! Amazed at Acura having put together such a wholesome package for the price they are selling it for.

Later...AH
  • posiedonposiedon Member Posts: 4
    I must echo hunter001's opinion in regards to my 2000 TL. This is one fine car and I dont regret buying it at all. My moonroof started rattling around 9000 miles, but it was promptly fixed by the dealer, who simply lubricated the seals. This is supposed to be a temporary fix recommended by Acura until they find a more permanent one. I heard that the 2000 RLs had this problem too, before they were all recalled and the moonroof seal was replaced. I hope they come up with a similar solution for the TL. Other than that, it has been a great car.
  • lawrenlawren Member Posts: 15
    I remember when the first TLs came out. 4 cylinder not much power difference compare to the Accord. 3.2TL was but too expensive. The new TLs price dropped starting $27,999. Tempting but did not have side air bags. Then they do now. Then gone from 4 speed to 5 speed. Navigation system went to DVDs. Now rumors on getting power seats with memory and may be the new CL's engine? Every years it's something new. I hate to buy it regret it a year later. Any thoughts?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The 2001 gets equipment to match the CL, which means the in-dash 6 CD changer, memory seats, and tilt-down mirror. Rumors of a TL-S continue, and it is bound to happen, but not necessarily at intro time for the 2001s. There is a mild facelift coming for the 2002s, so would not be surprised if the TL-S becomes part of that intro, perhaps sometime in summer 2001. I'm also expecting the base engine in the 2001s to mysteriously develop a couple more hp to match or exceed what's being offered at Nissan...
  • tag66tag66 Member Posts: 9
    jrct9454, what are your sources for the info you provided? I am waiting and waiting to see what the 2001 model has to offer and I keep hearing mixed rumors. The latest I heard was that the distributor sent memos to all the mid-atlantic dealers stating that the 2001 TL's will have NO CHANGES AT ALL for the 2001 model year. Other rumors I heard were similar to yours. My dealer claims to have no information yet... So I'm not sure what to believe. Guess I'll just have to wait and see...