Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    but nobody said the middle one would be comfortable! The armrest is not so much the issue as the firm, high seat. Of course my daughter loves it because she can see better. I think many cars have this same problem. Besides, how often do you have five adults in the car? I am not going to make the mistake again of buying a car around the few times I need an extra seat. I just unloaded a van that had a very unused rear bench seat that spent the vast majority of time in the garage and not in the van. The only time I can think of having three in the back is when co-workers go to lunch, but for a short trip, I think they can suck it up!
  • Options
    milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    Usually when I have 5 people in back the seat...the smallest person sits in the middle...usually a girl will end up sitting there. I've never put three 6' guys in the backseat...but never needed to anyway. I've only had one complaint from the person stuck in the middle...they get hit by the front center console if you open it to change CDs.
  • Options
    rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    That's a good one! I hadn't heard that before.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Hi to everyone,as a new member here I have several issues to discuss.First off, Why do most people think that the "P" engine is extremly slow?I have beaten several cars with my 99 edition eg-
    Audi A4 1.8T
    Honda Accord v6
    went neck to neck with a 99 Acura TL
    All these races were on the 95n,God to honest truth.
    Also the Edmunds reviewers show this car no respect at all,check out the review for the 2002.
    Finally I think this car looks better than any Accord,Camry,Maxima,etc etc.
  • Options
    csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    None of my co-worker ever complain about my Millenia's rear seat, when three of them have to seat in the back. Two of my co-worker are 6' 0" and 6' 1" tall, off-course none of them ever seat in the middle. They always give my Millenia compliment for the head room in front and rear seats. And yes, they're all adults between 27-35 yrs old. So unless all of your friends and family are over six feet tall, the Millenia will fit 5 adults. BTW, sat on a 2001 Acura TL's back seat this past weekend, very tight leg room; a lot smaller than in a Millenia. Try fit 5 ppl in that car. I thought the car is based on an Accord; but accord definitely has a lot more room that the TL. Very smooth ride though; it's luxury sedan/boat :-).

tomekk, Camcord?, LOL, very nice.

32600 miles on my 2000 Millenia S, still enjoying every second driving it.
  • Options
    tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I've heard it before, didn't come up with it . . . but I do I wish it were my invention. Speaks for itself!
    02 Camry is so bland, I wonder what 03 Accord will look like.

billyperks,

I have 01 Millenia S. Initially I put deposit down on a P, but after driving the S and listening to the supercharger whine I decided to upgrade the next day. The P model is slower - you have to really step on it and keep the engine cooking although it is perfectly adequate. But S is in a different league. Go test drive one - see for yourself. Those cars you beat - especially Audi A4 1.8T and Acura TL - I'm not sure if they tried really hard...

Tomek
    4K miles on 01 S in 3mos
  • Options
    I had one of these a couple of years ago and loved it, but with an automatic, I am not so sure it would be any faster than the "P". If I recall, the 0-60 times were in the low to mid 8 range with a manual. Add another second to it and you're right in the same range as the "P". If it is any quicker, it is just by a little. I agree though, you do have to step on the pedal a bit to keep the performance decent. The good news it is my wife's car and she has no complaints about power so far.
  • Options
    stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    I was catching up on some test drives last week and had the opportunity to drive a '00 Millenia S Millinium Edition. I happened upon it at a Lexus dealer where I also drove a used (15K miles) '01 IS300. The Mazda had 39K miles on it. I realize that these two cars don't compete with one another but since I drove them back to back I can't help but make some comparisons.

Fisrt thing I noticed is that the Mazda had a more luxurious looking interior, smoother ride, and way more room in the back seat and trunk. I also couldn't help but notice that you sat much lower in the Mazda but the seats were far less supportive. I especially liked the Escaine (fake) suede in the Lexus over the real leather of the Mazda. Probably because it holds you in place much better during hard cornering. The IS had superior handling as far as feed back, tracking, and turn in. Also, the E-shifter on the IS did a better job of allowing me to control the engine rpm and shift points. The hold feature on the S auto worked pretty good. But, it didn't responed as quick as the IS auto and the buttons on the IS steering wheel were easier to control once I got the hang of them. The S engine seemed nearly as powerfull as the IS but it wasn't as responsive at lower rpm's. The S was quieter on the highway, especially with the sunroof popped or fully open.

Overall, I like the Millenia S. It provides a great ride, decent engine, high content, and in a nice looking package. But, I loved the Lexus. Not surprising since I lean more towards the sports side of the sport/luxury equation. The IS had a nice interior, sporty looks, great transmission, and superlative handling. I must say a new S is a raging bargain compared to the Lexus if one can be had for the prices I'm seeing quoted on this list. The Lexus dealer was asking about 29K for the IS and 25K for the S. He didn't say much when I mentioned that one could buy a new S for not much more. I suspect they would let the S go for WAY less then what they're asking. But, that is probably not true for the IS. Anyways, enjoy your cars.
  • Options
    In real world Millenia S would be 8-10K cheaper (either new or in the used car case described by Stebu); don't forget that for 2001 Millenia's suspension has been reworked and body stiffness increased.

BTW, I'm 6'3, so the IS is kind of a tight fit for me... I test drove it 6 months ago and loved handling etc. - didn't like the price and how small it was inside.

Tomek
  • Options
    skspghskspgh Member Posts: 28
    So, the 2002 Millenia has an auto dimming rear view mirror. I was hoping to add that to my 2001. I called several local Mazda dealers and none of them had the part. Anyone with any ideas? After market auto-dim mirrors run $200. Mazda has an msrp of $150. Is the 2001 pre-wired for the auto-dim? Suggestions....?
  • Options
    So I'm reading this review on the Millenia on Edmunds - http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/45921/article.html

Did this writer consider the car doesn't sell at sticker? Infact, that it sells way below invoice and is priced like a camcord? Or did this pricing happen recently, before the article? I feel sad after reading such articles about the millenia :-(

• Options
    ... completely out of touch with pricing. Same happened in the entry-level luxury sedan comparo:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46528/article.html

I have also noticed some contradictions between these two articles. 0-60 is given as 8.2 in one article, 9.1 in the other (temperature difference? - test results should be adjusted for conditions, otherwise the aren't very useful).

In the mini-suv they call XTerra's 210 HP "impressive" - in Millenia's review it's "adequate". Bias? I think so.

Check this out: http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01millenia.htm

Tomek

• Options
    I read all of these before purchasing my Millenia. I think this is a classic case of comparing apples to oranges, at least as price goes. Is my 22K Millenia a lesser car than a mid 30K (name the car here)? Probably not. Is it a much better bargain? Absolutely, at least in my opinion. Of course, the Edmunds reviewers recommend a loaded Accord or Passat, but even then we are talking about a substantial difference in price in favor of the Millenia.

I think if Edmunds did a TMV comparison, the Millenia would shine a lot brighter.
  • Options
    murphy26murphy26 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 01 S with chrome wheels, CD changer, and two tone paint. The sticker is 31000 and the dealer says his invoice is 30323. He mentioned $4000 dealer cash is available and offer me the car at $27,000. Also, he said the special financing currently offered by Mazda is not available because he used dealer cash. I am only in the first round and would like some advise...What price should i be able to buy this car and should the 0% financing be available along with the dealer cash? Thanks.
  • Options
    I recently wrapped up a deal on '01 S with chrome wheels, 6 disc changer, 4 seasons pkg, deflector and scuff plates. So hopefully, this should be a good reference point for you. However, I am very surprised at the sticker price - only $31K! Just the base S has a sticker of more (doesn't it)? My loaded S had a sticker of $32.9K. It had 2.5K miles on it (car run my dearlship owner). I got the car for $25.2K along with a 6yr/72K warranty. But, from calling around, I had offers of about $26.2K for a NEW similar S. To sum up, you should be able to lower the price at least $1K. The dealer is being honest about the financing aspect. If you take dealer cash, you can't get the Mazda special rates. In my area, there is a 4K dealer cash, and 2K dealer discount = 6K off MSRP. Try that angle for lowering the price....
  • Options
    I got 01 S on 6/30/01 (end of month, end of quarter) - it stickered at $32.5K, I paid $26K. Brand new, 117 miles on it (60 of those were my test drives).

I live in MA close to Boston.

Good luck with negotiating your deal!

Tomek
  • Options
    fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I just got back from a 2900 mile vacation trip, mostly interstate, running at 70 to 80 MPH. Before leaving, I put 800 local miles on my new 2001 Millenia P to get it broken in before subjecting it to that much highway running.

My old car is a 1995 Olds 88, and there is a noticably firmer ride with the Mazda, but it is pleasant, very well damped, and quieter than the Olds. It is also far more pleasant to drive with one exception. The automatic transmission on the Olds is totally flawless, where the Mazda has noticable shifting, sometime hunting a little under some circumstances. Is this also the experience of other Millenia owners?

Other than the transmission, the performance is flawless, as is the fit and finish. It drew many admiring comments from others, and my sister wanted to take it from me.

My low gasoline milage was 21.7 in combination city/local highway driving, with a high of 27.5 on one interstate run. Overall, I averaged 26.3 over the entire trip. I find that very acceptable. It used 1/2 quart of oil in the first 2300 miles. After topping the oil off, it appears to have used no more than 1/8 quart in the last 1400 miles. No problem there. I have run 87 octane (regular unleaded) gasoline from day one, with no problem of any kind. No ping, and I do not feel there was any decrease in performance from the 93 octane the dealer had put in it. At least I couldn't detect any.

There has been some discussion about the possible lack of power with the 2.5 liter V/6 engine, but it has very acceptable performance compared to the 3.8 V/6 in my Olds, with only needing to apply a little extra throttle under especially trying conditions. It is far from a slouch in the power department. The torque is less than the Olds from a standing start, but very acceptable. Passing at any speed was very good.

I bought this car for $21680, the price of a low line Camcord. There is absolutely no camparison to them. This is obviously a vastly superior car overall.

Well, this isn't a road test forum, so I will cut off there.

If any of you can fill me in on the transmission shifting situation, I will appreciate that. From what I have read, it is a Jatco, the same as Camry, Accord and possibly Maxima and other Japanese brands use. If the shifting is normal, I am fine with that. I just need to know if it is something that needs checked.

One more comment. The Michelin MXV4 tires were somewhat noisy for about 2000 miles, but have quieted down to a decent level.
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Only the S version gets the Jatco (which doesn't go into any Hondas, but which has been used in Nissan Maximas). The P version uses Mazda's own GF4A-EL, which appears also in the MPV and the V6 version of the 626, and which behaves the same in those applications as well; I had one in a '93 626 (the only year they put the GF in a four-cylinder), and it did likewise. It's not a bad little tranny, but it was overly complicated when it was introduced in 1993, and it's probably behind the times now.
  • Options
    Thank you windowphobe6, for your comprehensive response to my above question concerning the shifting patterns of the Millenia "P". Other research I have done seems to confirm your explanation of the actual transmissions used in the "P" and "S" models, including one site that seems to be yours.

However, I have come across other messages, such as the following that concerns the "S" models shifting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So, there is nothing we can do about the strange shifting habbits of Millenia S other than use the hold button and manually run it via all the gears?

The slugishness I get sometimes on the car drives me crazy. I have use the K/N drop in filter and noticed a nice little boost in performance.

Anyone have a shopping list of performance mods they have done. I know for this car they are very hard to come buy.

Scott"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This would indicate to me, that the unusual shifting is NOT confined to the "P" model. And due to the fact that the "P" and "S" seem to use different ATX's, would cause me to believe the shifting is caused by the computerized electronic control system, not the transmissions themselves.

I think I know the answer before asking this, but can the shifting pattern be reprogrammed, or a different "brain" be installed to change the feel of these transmissions?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    It's not at all confined to the P. Almost every Mazda automatic in the last 15 years has drawn fire from the automotive press for various shifting weirdness. I suspect (though I can't prove it at this point) that Mazda optimizes the electronics for the manuals and lets the automatics fall where they may.

A number of aftermarket firms offer "shift kits" for various cars that, by changing some of the moving parts, reputedly improve the shift action. And there are custom computer chips available for some models. Whether any of this can be had for the S, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    I believe the shift patterns have been recalibrated in 2001 for quicker downshift and better accelleration. The only gripe I have with my S auto tranny is that when I leave my house in the morning I have to go up a small hill, and - when cold - the transmission won't shift into 3rd until past 3500 RPM. I think it lets the engine rev too high. So at 3000 rpm I just press the hold button (when in Drive) and it'll shift after 2 second or so delay...
    Other than that I'd say that my S shifts very well under medium to hard acceleration. It's not the best in stop-and-go 'indecisive' traffic, when you go from 0 to 20 to 5 to 40 to 10 to 0 and so on. It's not bad, it's just not Lexus (or Chevy Venture) smooth. Again, I've read that pre-2001 vere much worse, and actually I remember reading a review talking about much better calibration for 2001. I'm not sure if the P model got recalibrated for 2001...
    just my $0.02
    Tomek
  • Options
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Quote:"It's not the best in stop-and-go 'indecisive' traffic, when you go from 0 to 20 to 5 to 40 to 10 to 0 and so on. It's not bad, it's just not Lexus (or Chevy Venture) smooth."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is where I experience the indecisiveness too. Under other conditions, the shifts are very good. It does have a tendency to downshift at highway speeds, when the "Resume" on the cruise control is engaged, but I figure that is to compensate for the relativly small engine. That causes me no problem. Highway passing is very good. I am getting the impression the shifting is normal for the Mazda's. And as both Carpoint and Consumer Reports show the Millenia transmissions to be top rated in reliability in all recent years, I can live with the slight quirkiness.

Other than this one question, I have found my new "P" to be flawless, and after owning many cars in my 60 years, will say this is by far the most beautifully assembled and executed of them all.

Thanks to both of you for your help and opinions on the subject.
  • Options
    is probably disengagement of the torque converter and not shifting to 3rd. It happens with my Millenia S, it happens with Chevy Venture (my wife's van) which has incredibly smooth shifting tranny (like most of GM V6 egined vehicles).

I have to say that I like my Millenia the best over 80mph (yesterday I had it up to 110 on an empty highway - smooooooth...)
    :-)

Tomek
  • Options
    juliziojulizio Member Posts: 18
    It's getting close to tire replacement time on my 2000 Millenia Edition and would like some comments on replacement tires.

There is very little in the way of alternatives from the stock Michelins in the 215/50/17 size, www.tirerack.com lists 10.

If I look at 225/45/17, there's a much larger selection, 51 to be exact.

My question is this:
    Can a 225/45/17 tire fit on to the stock rims properly, I have the chrome 17"?

Like I said, the selection at 225/45/17 is much greater and the prices are also better.

Thanks in advance and I love the car.
  • Options
    -------------------------------------------------

"I have to say that I like my Millenia the best over 80mph (yesterday I had it up to 110 on an empty highway - smooooooth...)
    :-)"

While 100mph or so may seem crazy to some people here. There were several times on my recent vacation, that I found myself in that 100+ range. I agree with tomekk, that this car is incredibly smooth and happy at that speed. And the V rated Michelin's are rated at sustained 149, so obviously the car was designed for these speeds. On the other hand, my '95 Olds 88 gets nervous (slight vibration with tires recently balanced, and new brakes) at speeds of about 55, and anything above 75mph. The Millenia is totally smooth at high speed, but slightly jittery on a bumpy surface, at low speeds. Well damped, but noticable. They have totally different suspension tuning, and the Mazda's drivetrain is vastly superior in smoothness overall.
  • Options
    I recently became a member here, but the sad news is I will be leaving soon.The lease on my 99 millenia P will be up in a few months and I am not going to re-lease another Millenia.

Guys/Gals don't get me wrong,there is nothing wrong with the Millenia,I am just stepping into a bigger car.Here are the few that I test drove-
    LEXUS-GS 300
    Audi-A6 2.7T
    Acura 3.5RL
    Jaguar S type 3.0 (jaguar went overboard on price)

Please help me out with the choices here-(NO BIAS COMMENTS PLEASE).

Coming back to the MILLENIA-personnally I think Mazda got left behind in terms of technology.When I was these dealerships and saw the Millenias competitons I really felt dissappointed that Mazda did not do anything to improve the car.
    Here is the list of some of the features that the Millienia is lacking because of its out of date platform-
    Navigation System
    Tiptronic/E-Shift
    More wood and leather:)
    power sunshades
    MORE HORSE POWER (IMAGINE A 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA 4CYLINDERS OUT RACING A MILLENIA P- THATS VERY BAD)
    The list goes on, remember guys/gals I am not disrespecting the MILLENIA,the exterior looks will beat any of its competition,all I am saying is, Mazda has to get up to speed the Automotive World.
  • Options
    Quote:

Here is the list of some of the features that the Millienia is lacking because of its out of date platform-
    Navigation System
    Tiptronic/E-Shift
    More wood and leather:)
    power sunshades
    MORE HORSE POWER (IMAGINE A 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA 4CYLINDERS OUT RACING A MILLENIA P- THATS VERY BAD)
    You ask "no bias", and none is intended.

The only ones of your complaints that have to do with the platform, are the Tiptronic, and the HORSEPOWER. The platform itself is highly refined, with 4 wheel independent, coil spring suspension.

I personally insisted on a car WITHOUT the items you listed as putting it behind the competition. Most would only ruin the beautiful elegance of the interior of my car. As I understand it, Millenia will be dropped after the 2002 Model, so obviously they are not going to make the changes you are suggesting. It all comes down to a matter of wants and needs. I drove '02 Camry, '01 and '02 Maxima and '01 Avalon, before buying the '01 Millenia P that I talk about in previous posts. They each have pro's and con's, but none had anything that could justify the huge difference in their prices as opposed to the great buy you can get on a Millenia. I keep my cars for at least 7 years, and do not trade them in, so depreciation is immaterial to me.

This car is not a hot rod, and is not intended to be one. But I do not think you can find any of the cars you mentioned at anywhere remotely close to the $21680 I paid for my "P" with three miles on the odometer. After 3800 miles, I am convinced I made the right choice.

You are apparently willing to take a very large jump in price, and that is fine if it is what you want. Enjoy your search, and most of all, enjoy whichever of those fine cars you ultimately choose.
  • Options
    billyperks, you are in a different price universe - $40K+ or so. When I was shopping for a car (95 Passat GLX replacement) I was offered Acura TL S for sticker price, a 3-yer old GS300 for $33K, and so on. To me Millenia S (bought 6/30 for $26K, sticker $32.5) was more car for the money. With the trade-in situation it was 8-9K cheaper for me than TL-S. Is TL-S better than Millenia S by 8-9K? - I don't think so.
    Personally I'd test drive Audi and the Lexus and decide between the two - with my preference being the A6 2.7T; reliability won't be an issue for you if you're leasing for 3 years.
    Good luck - Tomek

P.S. Today I was giving a ride to a business associate from Switzerland and for first 5 minutes he was complementing how nice my new car was, he was checking out the in-dash 6CD changer, the auto-tilt wheel etc. The he said "but those Lexus cars are awfully expensive, how much was it?" - ha ha ha, his jaw literally dropped when I told him it was a Mazda, waaaay cheaper than a Lexus.
  • Options
    I finally broke my lease on my 99 Millenia P and stepped up to a 2001 Millenia S. Went with the same colors again (two-tone...white/sand mica). It has the in dash cd-changer and the chrome wheels...which I'm having the dealer switch out with the regular wheels. There were no white 2001 Millenia S models left in Atlanta, so they had to drive one up from Macon. I love it!
  • Options
    I know how sad most of us Millenia owners knowing that Mazda is probably gonna drop the Millenia model after this one, but don't be too sad ppl; check this out. Mazda's replacement for the 626 is going upmarket a bit and it's gonna be called "Mazda 6". With 3.0V6 Duratec (mazda built I think, since it's gonna have VVT-i from mazda)and it'll have 219HP compared to Ford's 200HP). The base engine is 2.3L and it'll have 160HP imagine that.

It's a totally awesome looking car in my opinion, aggressively mean and modern, check out these pics

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=128418&page=1

and from Edmunds review

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/preview/articles/47610/article.html

This car is definitely my first choice to replace my 2000 Millenia S or maybe to be alongside my 2000 Millenia S (hope I can have enough money to have both). I'm sure they'll show this car at LA Auto Show in january. I can't wait.

BTW, julizio, yes a 225/45/17 will fit on Millenia's 17" wheel, but the ride is going to be a bit rougher, since the tire is thinner. If you don't mind that, it will look nice on your wheel, since the tire is wider and looks nicer.

• Options
    Hey Fwatson to each is own,but remember I am on your side.When I was shopping around in late 1998 for a car, I test drove the Audi A4 2.8,Acura 3.2 TL and Maxima GLE.The outcome was the Millenia P,as stated in my previous post,I am definately not condeming the car,lets put it like this "been there done that".
    The Millenia is definately a superb car and I still get compliments on my 1999 PEARL WHITE.Sorry if I offended you in anyway,I am just strecting my budget to a bigger car.Tomkek thanks for the advice.And for all you Millenia lovers "God Bless The Millenia".
  • Options
    billyperks, I personally love the A6 2.7T. I test drove this car before I bought my 2000 Millenia and it's definitely a better car; much more expensive though and in a different class, so can't really compare the two together. It's quick, handles well, quiet and classy styling. Now that the 2002 is out, with the many improvements it got, it would be my choice compare to the other cars you mentioned. Besides, Audi in the world of Benzs, BMWs, Lexuss, Acuras is kinda like Mazda in a world of Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Fordss... both are the best kept secret in their own class.

Peace
  • Options
    "Hey Fwatson to each is own,but remember I am on your side."

Sorry you got the feeling I was somehow offended. I am not. My point, although apparently not well stated, was that comparing the Millenia to the cars you are considering, is a stretch, because of real world pricing.

While the Millenia is discounted very strongly, your choices will cost you multi-thousands of dollars more. They are all wonderful cars, but for those like me, who are looking for best value, the Mazda wins the battle. Given unlimited access to the big bucks, I would have chosen a 5 or 7 series BMW. But fact is, I paid less than half the price of the BMW, and still got a wonderful car.

If you have the money, enjoy the hunt for that dream car. I have more practical considerations, like being retired with a fixed income. I did have a chance to look the A6 over at a Florida welcome station, and frankly, the styling leaves me cold. Everything is relative.
  • Options
    wmartin13wmartin13 Member Posts: 2
    I have 215/45-17 Dunlop SP 9000's on my 1999 S with the stock chrome rims. They fit just fine, but are a little smaller in diameter than the stock 205/50-17's, which causes the odometer and speedometer to be a little "fast", as well as leaving a somewhat too large fender gap. If I had it do over again, I would go with 235/45-17's, which is what the limited edition Australian version used. Even a 225/45 would be better than the 215/45. It is possible to get the instruments recalibrated, but I do not know the cost or how easy it is to find a place to make the adjustment, or what effect it will have on the warranty.
  • Options
    How's the ride with 215/45-17?
    Personally, I'd try to find something with the original aspect ratio of 50, but go a little wider - either 225 or 235 (didn't check availability/prices, as I have 35K miles or so before I have to worry about that), I wouldn't go with even lower profile like 45...
    Anyway, the Dunlops SP 5000 (I think) on my S are sooo much better than the Goodyear Eagles (205/50-15 if I remember correctly, also a rare and difficult to find size) which I had on my 95 Passat GLX. Those things had very greasy feeling in the wet, forget snow. Dunlops so far are much better in the rain, and when it comes to snow - well, I'll know in 2 or 3 months.

Tomek
  • Options
    speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    My wife is a proud new owner of a Millenia P. We got the white with the two tone paint and a spoiler. MSRP was $28,885 and we picked it up for $22,000. What can I say, for $22K this is an awesome car.
  • Options
    In the past people had complained on here about the Millenia's fuel gauge...apparently they have fixed it on the 2001 models. I almost ran out of gas the other day. In my 1999 Millenia I could drive another 60 miles when the light came on. Apparently not in the new Millenia. My car shutoff while I was driving. I pulled over...it started back up...I turned off the a/c...drove straight to the nearest gas station. I had 0.25 usuable gallons of gas left...filled up 16.75 gallons...supposedly the car shuts off after using 17 gallons. When I started the car up after filling up...the gas guage immediatly showed a full tank...the old gauges took 5-10 mins to read full...I'm assuming they have changed them.
  • Options
    I have really been enjoying my new Millenia for the past month or two, but I now have it at the dealer for the second time in two weeks for the same problem, an annoying rattle in the moonroof. It is most apparent when the cover is back or the roof is opened or tilted. Has anybody else had a problem similar to this, because I would love to tell the service department how to fix it so I can get my car back!
  • Options
    How far did you go from when the light came on?

My reserve light comes on after about 300 miles.
    Yesterday it came on at 310 miles, and I got 14.514 gallons in. The thing is that the pump started to shut off after 13.5 gallons, and the last gallon was really squeezed in. So, if only 17 gallons are usable, I was left with 2.5 gallons in the tank - which would be 50 miles or so from when the light came on.

I've noticed that some pumps shut off earlier with the Millenia - didn't have that problem with a Passat, don't have it with Chevy Venture...

My gas mileage - commuting to work seems to be 21 - 22 mpg (17 miles one way, sometimes 85mph, sometimes stop-and-go, 50% highway, 50% town traffic, rather heavy foot), on a highway trip I had about 24 doing 80+.
  • Options
    rbrenton88rbrenton88 Member Posts: 186
    Our '99 S with the chrome rims originally had the Dunlop 4000 I believe...but they were prone to sidewall failures. I replaced the set at about 29k miles, partly because they were getting a bit low in the tread, but mostly because 3 of 4 tires had at least 1 large bulge. Not very comforting.

The replacement set is the Goodyear Eagles (stock size). So far, so good. It was odd that I was replacing the crappy Goodyears on my other car at almost the same time, but those 17" sets are still really expensive.
    One shop wanted to sell me Pirelli's at some $275 a pop. The Goodyears were the cheapest in that size at about $120 per.
    As explained to me by a trusted guy...all of the low profile tires are vulnerable to sidewall bubbles anytime a pothole comes into view. So I figure I'm just wasting money upgrading by spending any more than I have to.
    Since my wife isn't taking corners at 50mph, she doesn't know the difference anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not sure exactly how far I went...but I'm pretty sure it was less than 50 miles.
  • Options
    rbrubakerrbrubaker Member Posts: 54
    I had some problems with mine. I have a topic in the archived Repair and Maintenance area labled "99 Millenia S Fuel gauge problem". The tire topic was discussed there also. Even though I initially stated I hated the Dunlop 4000s, I ended up getting another set. I wanted to get the same size, and not spend a ton of money. Any tire I thought was better than the Dunlop was over $200. I read alot of the comments on tires on the Tirerack website. The new set of tires actually seem better than the first, no pulling and quiet. Never saw a bubble on my old ones, and I drove then hard. I only got 20K miles on them.

Now I have some major squeeking comming from the left rear suspension. Probably a bad shock (or strut).

Overall, still happy with the car for the price I paid. Just wish the tranny shifted faster and when I want it to.

Bob
  • Options
    kngmke1kngmke1 Member Posts: 14
    I asked a the Dealer about this. Their response was to replace top bushing & it correct the problem. They had certainly seen this before
  • Options
    nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    I have the 2000 Millenium Edition and (of course) the Dunlop SP 4000's....I have only 12,000 miles on them but was wondering on average how many most have gotten out of them??...one post just said 20k??....I was hoping for more like 30k??....also anyone recently throw on a K&N cone air filter to the Miller Cycle?....If so how did it perform??....
  • Options
    Our 2000 Millenia S still using its original tires at 33800miles now. I'm planning to change the tire size to 225/50/17 so I get a wider and a bit tiny taller than the stock 215/50/17. The only thing that bugs me is that only three different tires came up when I do a search on tirerack.com;
    a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which cost $206 each, Bridgestone Potenza RE92 $154/ea and Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 $183/ea. Does anyone has any experience with any of these tires?. I was hoping that the Dunlop SP5000 would have this size, since this is what the 2001 Millenia has.

Also, is it true that Millenia S supposed to only use Platinum Spark Plugs?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The S comes standard with REAL platinum plugs (not Bosch cheapies). If Mazda didn't spare the expense, neither should you. I wouldn't use anything but NGK or ND platinum plugs in your S.
  • Options
    What's the difference between "REAL platinum plugs" and "Bosch cheapies"?
  • Options
    Hey Fawtsom and Tommek-My search continues for the Millenia replacement.I have visited dealers all over, Connecticut and New York just to get a good lease deal.The numbers I have gotten so far from Lexus and Audi is a little more than I was budgeting for,but I am going to keep on trying for a good deal,we know these dealers end up with the long end of the stick anyway.If I keep getting the numbers I am getting I think I am going to step back down to the entry class level and opt for the 3.2 TL or the I35.This ordeal is very very frustrating,I am talking about price/monthly payment they tell you one thing and then when you go in they add on so many miscellaneous charges it balloons to a whole different ballpark.
    In any event you guys will know the outcome.

PS-I have an extra wheel with a small chip on the outter lip,got on delivery with the Millenia back in late 1998.I think someone at the dealership left it in the trunk and forgot to take it out.
    Its the same 16" wheel that fits the 1999-2000 P model.Anyone intrested please let me know.You can have a full size spare,just buy the desired tire.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The electrode diameter on the cheapies is a fine wire. Stop by your local parts store and have a look at the two.

Bosch does make some REAL platinum for certain OE applications, but they are more expensive than the Japanese makes.
  • Options
    snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    I've seen on this board that there was a $4000 rebate which was confirmed by local dealers but I also read somewhere that there was an additional $2000 dealer cash from the factory which would explain the low price on carsdirect.com. Can anyone verify that this is true?
    Also has anyone tried to put luggage in a Millenia trunk...just from looking at it it seems that fitting in luggage would be a problem. I know its 13 cubic feet but what are you supposed to put in there??? Marshmallows??? Please let me know your experience..as I pick up visitors from the airport several times a year.