Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• barb85barb85 Member Posts: 54
    Almost a month ago I opened negotiations on a $71,085 MSRP Ultra with an offer of $65,000. Salesman countered with $2,500 off MSRP then I told him I'd meet him halfway at $66,800. Sold with a discount of $4,285. If I were to start today, however, I'd open with $64,000 which would probably leave me with a discount of $4,785. This was cash, no trade, with the car having just arrived on his lot unspoken for.
    The Ultra has a button (air suspension) that toggles between "normal" and "sport". The normal mode is great for the interstate, and relaxed easy driving. I had the car in sport mode the other day on a winding mountain road and was very impressed! (My previous car was a '95 SC 300--for sale, by the way). It leans less than the SC 300. In sport mode the shocks stiffen. If you are driving aggressively on winding mountain roads, however, you would probably prefer the 740il. But personally, I don't like the plain interior of the 740il. I'd rather compromise slightly on the handling for all the luxurious interior beauty and high tech goodies on the LS 430! The sport button on the Ultra is all I need.

I like the way I can have it both ways: a coushy relaxing ride or a more aggressive sports car feel with the variable air suspension. I haven't driven the euro-suspension. Is there another sport suspension other than the variable air and euro?
  • skip110skip110 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry didn't mean to shout. It was great to here articulate descriptions of the difference between the '98 LS400 and the LS430 as it relates to ride quality, handling, road feel and general impressions. I intend to purchase or lease a LS430 in about 4 or 5 months. And your descriptions are exactly what I have been waiting to read. This is not to say that I don't find comments sharing experiences about good deals informative. Because I find them very informative and look forward to reading more. But specific and clear characterizations about how the car feels and handles under various conditions especially relative to other cars is really appreciated here. Thanks.
    Just think how good satalite music would sound on your Mark Levinson stereo in your LS 430!

The latest Consumer Reports has a picture of Sony's new satalite music receiver for cars. (I haven't read the article yet--someone took off with my copy.) Has anyone installed this in an LS 430? If so how, where? Anyone know anything about it? Does it require an outside antenna?

This is worth checking into, because we've got the ultimate car to install it in.
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Thanks for the response. I went with the Mystic Sea Opalescent. It was a last minute switch from silver/gray largely because my wife has a silver car, and I wanted something different. During my extended test drive I just felt that the designers of the car were so thoughtful. As an example the small extension from the seat that fills the space to the console to keep things from falling into never-never land. If they got that right, I'm sure all the big stuff is just as well thought out.

I'm not familiar with the board where the Lexus vs. MB war is being fought. Coming out of my second MB into a Lexus, all I can say is they both are excellent vehicles. They're built to a very different philosophy, and you need to decide which manufacturer is more in harmony with your own feelings. What always summed it up for me is that the MB wouldn't trust the driver to set the rain delay to a desired speed. They only had two delay settings and that was it. I was one of the first to get the rain sensing wipers in my second MB because this drove me insane. Even then you couldn't be trusted to decide what was right, but at least the car could adjust itself for in-between conditions and varying speed. Based on what I saw, I doubt there is anything you can't customize in the Lexus, and I like that. If the LS430 and S430 were the same price I might have to think harder about which car to get, but the MB was almost 25% more to lease, and I just can't justify that much of a premium. When I look at the Carpoint ratings and people are giving either car all 1's you know it's a bunch of wannabes in 1990 K cars living out some fantasy.
    Please add brand names to your spell checker. It kept trying to change Lexus into nexus.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    Had enough of the lux board; we have a nice mix of new LS owners here. My biggest problem so far is that I cannot find enough places to drive or errands to run...really, The LS's quiet and performance still impress me the most. The power mode on the transmission shortens the shift points (I think), and makes the car even quicker.

I love the NAV system and wonder if Ver 1. 2000 is the most current data DVD? There are some newer areas of my city that do not show up...understandably. I think the handling with 17s and standard suspension is also impressive and more than enough for me.

I have a few road trips planned in early April, so I'll have more to tell then.
  • flint350flint350 Member Posts: 250
    Funny you should ask about the nav. Just today I called Lexus customer service about it - my version says it is dated 2000. They told me that is the latest version. They are issued in the fall - so the new update won't be issued until fall of 2001. I'm hoping for some local updates as well. Still, I was driving around Annapolis an Wash. D.C. the last few days and the system really shines. I especially like that it recognizes things like "traffic circle ahead" and tells you which of the several branches to take and what to expect immediately thereafter. We have lots of those kinds of complications around here and the nav system works well with them.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    barb85 - you got a good price nonetheless. The car is still not being discounted all that much here in the Northeast. I think we have bottomed out in the stock market so that may close the door to discounts.

wbwynn - nav system has great coverage in my area. Even my tiny cul de sac street is on it.

flint350 - Are you off lux board?

stevestein - I think wbwynn, flint350, denniswade (though he doesn't have the car) and myself got accused of being bullies on the lux board. It was hard for them to believe how much we loved the car and we all gave it hard evaluations (before we purchased) to the
    S-Class. None of us ever said anything bad about the S but they took it that way.
    I saw those reviews where the person would deadpan the car and give it a bunch of 1's or 2's in most areas and average out something like a 1.6 on a scale of 1-10. Some of those people even said the ride was horrendous when they test drove it. Yet they BOUGHT the car! By the way I've seen them do the same thing to the S-Class and 7-series. So you are right its probably jealous wannabes who don't even know well enough to give the car a 7 or so rating which might at least have some believability.

Recently the NY Times reviewed the LS430 and to my surprise the woman reporter who penned the review gave it the same bland review as the prior LS400. I never thought the 400 was dull to drive but there is no question that the 430 is a much perkier car with crisp handling and more road feel. At the end of that review the woman discreditted herself better than anyone else ever could have by saying she preferred to drive her daughter's maxima. Go figure how some of these people think.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I pick up my silver/ecru today! Got a good deal (56k for Lev, no NAV) for the DC area, and they gave me a better trade than I thought I would get on my 90 LS, I think b/c they didn't want to discount the 430 so much. I am still unsure what I am going to do about a phone; I have a Star Tac Motorola and am considering just using that with one of those plug-in hands free deals, but it appears that I will have to leave the ashtray bit open if I do and I hate to ruin the look of the console that way. Has anyone figured out a better arrangement? I will post when I have had a week or so to live with the car.
    I charge my StarTac and put it in the slide out draw that is above the CD changer. I keep the charger cord plugged in the so-called ashtray bin....both close up just fine.

The StarTac holds a charge so long that you really do not need to keep it plugged in all the time.....actually the StarTac seems to be the perfect phone for the LS (if you don't require hands-free)

Hope that helps....congrats on your new LS.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    Thanks very much for the post; I agree that the phone seems perfectly suited to that sliding drawer, and I was actually thinking about asking the dealer service folks to drill a hole in the back of that slide out drawer and hardwiring the charger cord into the electrical system. That way, I could plug in and close the drawer. You are right about the battery though. Boy am I juiced to be joining "the club." Thanks again for your help.
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    I drove a new Q45 the other day...and let me tell you, I loved it. The car is so modern, strikingly beautiful and elegant in person, the interior is modern, well made and very special. Quick as hell, just as smooth and quiet as the Lexus.

I'm going to have to drive the LS430 again, but right now I think I like the Q45 more.

Y'all gotta go drive one.
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    I'm sure the Q45 is a great drive, but I was disappointed in the exterior styling. Granted, the LS430 is bland in many ways, but the Q45 looks like a confused mixture of styles, and the front spoiler is short and cheap looking because they didn't 'need' to incorporate fog lights because of the gattling gun main lights.

I actually like the current Q look more than the new one.

It will be interesting to see how the new Q does in the market.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I too drove the new Q. It is more athletic than the LS, but the finish isn't quite up to Lexus standards. Some of the features aren't operational yet--cruise and telephone. I was impressed by the features and price, but am leaning toward the Lexus.
  • swithrow2swithrow2 Member Posts: 41
    I agree about the finish, but I'm still very impressed.

We shall see.
  • feverhartfeverhart Member Posts: 144
    I also was greatly impressed with the Q45. Even considered replacing my wife's 98 LS 400. Yet it doesn't meet the Lexus benchmark quality, in my opinion. One big disadvantage is the tiny trunk (13 cu ft), which would have been a big disadvantage on our recent 2200 mile trip.

But it is an outstanding car with many nice features and a heck of a bargain. Considering everything, I believe my LS430 is still the ultimate.
  • slexyslexy Member Posts: 31
    I previously posted a comment about dirt showing more on the ecru interior only because my dealer's car wash guy put his hand print(with "tire black"), I suspect, on part of the interior. Even rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits would not remove it. The dealer replaced the entire part, and I am satisfied. If you have children of young age or you tend to get interiors dirty, make sure you have a good leather cleaner as you would need for any color leather interior. I love the ecru color, and appreciate the change from the ivory color leather in my other lexus.
    Reading slexy's post reminded me of when I got in my car after a recent wash at the dealer I noticed the wash guy's hands as he got out. He was wearing plastic gloves! I thought maybe just Lexus overkill at the time, but you make a good point. And now I am not faced with leather cleaning and grease stains. Life is good.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    2 days ago picked up my parchment crystal w/ ecru & birdseye maple interior. Everything is fine except that no car that I wanted had 17 in wheels.Does anyone have an idea how to get the 17 in wheels (without paying $2,000 plus) or what 16 in tires would give me a better look & handling? Other than that everything is great. Outstanding interior combination & features. Also can't believe that I am getting 20 mpg around town.
    By the way I have had 16 MB's in the last 30 yrs but felt it was time for a change. Liked the cars but my last E class had too many small problems (last one on the way to the Lexus dealer to trade). Also Almost all the extras on the MB are standard on the LS. LS has more room too.
    Appriciate any comments on wheels/tires. Am not impressed with the LS wheel design but that is a small matter. THE CAR IS GREAT!
    Most Lexus dealers carry after market chrome wheels or you can contact the many manufacturers that make them in an exact size match by looking at the ads in the car magazines. As for the tires, I have planned on replacing the Dunlap "w" rated tires I have in 225/55 17 W ($288 ea.)(360 treadwear) with one of the following: Bridgestone Turanza Z Revo at $180 ea./240 treadwear with a 40,000 mi. warranty, or Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 at $182 ea./300 treadwear with no treadlife warranty. These prices are on www.tirerack.com with the edge going to Bridgestone once you look at the "specs" on ride comfort, noise comfort, along with a 40,000 mi. treadlife warranty(free replacement down to 2/32 of tread) over 5 years.
  • sfmartinsfmartin Member Posts: 59
    Are you talking about replacing the Dunlops immediately, or when they wear out? If now, why are you dissatisfied with them?
  • fabtfabt Member Posts: 22
    The sunvisors on my LS430 have two airbag warning stickers. The main one on the visor mirror door. That's ok, because it is usually hidden. However, another, hideous sticker referring you to the mirror door warning is affixed to the outside of the visor - always in plain view.

Lexus tells me they won't remove it. They say if I try I will ruin the fabric on the visor or at best leave a very ugly residue. Has anyone figured out how to remove this sticker without damaging the visor? Or even had the visor re-upholstered? It's SO ugly!!
    I plan on replacing the Dunlop tires that came with the euro-sport ls430 when they have worn out. I definitely like the ride, handling, and low noise factors, but at $288 ea., I am hoping for a less expensive tire with the same characteristics. I believe all "W" or "Z" rated tires will wear out quickly, but the Bridgestone's have a treadwear warranty. I should have told greasykid that the regular 17" wheels come with 225/60 "H" rated tires that are less expensive and wear longer. I believe the 17" wheels look and handle better, but my dealer said they are heavier and a little bit noisier because of the weight. I don't notice much noise at all from the "W" rated "17" Dunlop's.
    I'm told a hair dryer, lightly used, will soften the adhesive, and then the label can be slowly pulled off, but no guarantees from this end!

Maybe just put some matte sticky backed plastic over it? Not great, but better than a big yellow billboard over your head :)
    Don't be too general about tire life estimates. I had Michelin Z-rated tires with a 140 wear rating on my LS400. They lasted 45k miles and I estimate had another 5k to go. The stock Dunlop SP400's were much quieter on coarse asphalt. On the LS430, the SP270's are noisier on coarse asphalt than the standard all-season tires on the LS400.
    Our salesman suggested the same thing. (But didn't offer to do it.) ;<}
  • fabtfabt Member Posts: 22
    I have the LS430 with Navigation/Voice Command. The Voice Command allows you to direct several dozen commands to the Navigation system without having to touch any buttons. Very cool. Originally I had little interest in the Navigation system but could only get the Levinson stereo if I took Navigation with it. Now that I have the Navigation I love it; it is really unbelievable.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Thanks for the info. Have bought from Tirerack before. 17in wheels are really expensive ($250 & up). If I stay with the 16in tires can get a really nice 5 spoke wheel & bridgestones for less than $1,000 for the package. Tirerack advises that for a bit more that 245/55/16 will fit & be the same circumference. That setup shoud improve the look & handling. The standard tires that came with my LS are Yokohoma 390's with a wear rate of 160. Real bummer. Anyone have experience with this tire?
  • tv1db1tv1db1 Member Posts: 12
    Feverhart,
    I just got back from a 1500-mile round trip from NJ to North Carolina. I took I 78 to 81 to 77 and it was great. All open highway with no tolls and never below 70 except for Vagina. This car is fast and smooooooth! The only problem was getting used to the big blind spot on the driver's side due to the big B pillar.

I can't wait to get back on the road for another long trip, but around town I have to use the course control to keep the car below 40.
    Tirerack's suggestion will improve looks and handling, I believe, but "245" is up two sizes in width(225 to 245), with only one size down in lower profile(60 to 55). They probably will not rub on a full turn of the steering wheel to the left or right, but you may want to test this out, if you decide to get them.
    This is music to my ears. I made that generalization due to limited experience with Z rated tires,and talking to tire salespeople. The Michelin Pilot's with a Z rating I had on a Volvo Turbo Wagon got only 20,000 miles at best on the poor road surfaces I am forced to drive on. They had about a 140 treadwear rating, while these new W rated Dunlop's on the euro-sport have a 360 rating. I believe the standard all season tires may be less noisy on coarse asphalt because of the H rated softer sidewalls. The W rated (178 mph) tires have a stronger sidewall that could make them a little bit noisier along with the better handling. Isn't it great to have the ls430's quiet interior, compared to most other cars, so you don't notice much noise coming from anywhere.
    I never noticed the blind spot but realize the importance of cruise control. Without it, it's easy to exceed 90 while thinking you are under 70.

Your trip thru Virginia reduced your speed and wisely so. No detectors allowed and on 95 between Ricmond and the NC line there may be more speed traps and more heavily patroled than any other place in Va. Incidently, Valentine One is not detectable but you still need to be attentive for instant-on radar.

I consider the Valentine One to be a necesary componet because the car is so smooth and so fast and quiet.
    There is someone on the lux board who keeps saying the LS430 is not quiet inside and that his BMW 750 is quieter even though he has 18 inch wheels on the Bimmer. He must have used sonar detection equipment when he test drove this car because it is the ultimate in quietness. I haven't driven a 750 but have been in one several times and with the 18 inch tires the noise is annoying. tv1db1 - watch that speed on the turnpike and parkway - I've been noticing more and more patrols everyday and this car is so fast and oh so quiet.
  • lllwlflllwlf Member Posts: 13
    what's valentine one?
  • uofmiamiuofmiami Member Posts: 19
    Valentine One is a radar detector. www.valentine1.com is a link if you want to see what feverhart is talking about.
    When I got my parchment ls 430 Euro-Sport in Oct., I immediately had the Valentine One hard wired with a visor mount. One dealer refused to do it with a lame excuse of too many computers in the ls430. Another dealer charged $80 and did a great job of truly making it a component of the car. I agree with feverhart that it is necessary. The only caveat given me by the installing dealer was that the hard wire in the pillar post may blow out if the air bag in that pillar deploys. I readily accept that caveat, since the radar detector has no wires hanging down, and it is behind the factory dark tinting at the top of the front winshield. This makes it less noticeable(almost stealth positioning).
    I just got back from a fun "S" curve compare/test drive event similar to the one Infinity put on for the new Q-45 that I went to about three weeks ago. Both had Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes and the ls430 Lexus represented. Without going into alot of detail, the most interesting thing I found was that many of the invited guests at both events were commenting very positively about the ls430, and the waiting lines to drive the ls430 reflected those positive comments. At the Infinity event held at a major motor speedway, I was told by a waiting line attendant that the ls430 was the most requested car to drive besides the new Q-45. I believe all of these cars have their positve attributes, but after owning a ls400 for 11 years, it would take alot to get me to stray from the new ls430.
    After reading this board again I can hardly wait for my car. The dealer can deliver late next week, but I'll be away 4/7-14 so I'll hold off delivery until I get back. The discount I got (56000 for 61130 MSRP) still seems one of the highest. It was from Ray Catena in Oakhurst NJ.

I looked at the new Q45 also, but didn't bother to take a test drive. I wasn't turned on by the exterior (those headlights will probably make people love it or hate it) and I really didn't like all the silver "joystick" controls for the Nav, radio, heat etc. placed around the screen. The LS touchpanel is just too convenient and easy to operate. I had a 1987 Buick Riviera that had a touchpanel over a monochromatic CRT screen. The display was switchable between some gauges, radio, climate, trip computer and maintenance. The display location was similar to the LS430. I liked it then and have no reason to think this system will be any more difficult to work, especially with the voice activation thrown in.

Thanks to all for the input on the Ecru interior. No kids left home, but a dog we treat better. Does anyone make a back seat cover fitted for the LS? MB had one as an accessory for their E class, and LL Bean has some one-size-(mis)fits-all.
  • cticctic Member Posts: 291
    You can buy a small bottle of sticky residue remover at any Target or K-Mart. I believe it's called Goop remover or something like that. Nowadays you can buy anything to remove anything.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    Tomorrow I might buy an Ultra, blue with ecru. Today I drove a MB S430. I like the way the MB drives--more road feel, but think the Lexus interior is much nicer. The nav. in the MB seems smaller and more confusing. Everything is extra cost on the MB. It doesn't even have Xenon headlights. The Lexus dealer is a one-hour drive from home. ...It's hard to decide.

Why isn't a Ford Taurus tempting? ;-)
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    In my recent car buying events I never considered Lexus because of 4Matic option available on the E Class so I bought E320 4Matic Wagon. Now I am in market for my next purchase and would appreciate comments from folks who have driven the LS 430 on snowy roads etc.

Are there any issues with the LS 430 in terms of performance on snow etc. Would really appreciate comments from folks who have actually driven in less than perfect conditions.
    Test drive the Ultra ls430 with the "driver selectable suspension" in sport mode before you decide. You may enjoy the hour drive to the Lexus dealer alot more than a shorter drive to the Mercedes dealer. The Euro-Sport suspension model also has more road feel, and most of the car magazines preferred this suspension in their initial articles on the ls430. The extra gas money to drive to the Lexus dealer will be funded by the money you save by not buying the MB.
    Haven't been to the site yet, but I seem to recall that they use to warn that their unit's sensitivity was greatly reduced (almost to the point of useless) when operating thru tinted or treated windshields. They use to list the many cars this was a problem on, so I will check the site. Just thought I'd mention it.
    I see the lux board hasn't had much activity lately. They must have gotten tired of patting each other on the back about their shared admiration of the German "heritage". Or maybe they're just busy setting up service appointments with their dealerships.
    Radar sensitivity is reduced with certain tinted windows on all detectors, not restricted to Valentine. The list of cars with this problem so far has not included any Lexus car.It hasn't affected the sensitivity on my LS 430. I installed mine between the visors with a modified clip inserted between the windshield and the top molding (to the side of the rain sensor. No visible wires except for 4 inches of unintrusive ecru colored telephone wire going to the remote unit plugged in the lighter socket. Use of the remote eliminates any lights on the sensor. The sensors location makes it very difficult to see from the outside.

The Valentine is unique since it shows which direction the signal is coming from-front, side, or back as well as the number of hits.
    Is it true that none of the power plug-ins work unless the car is turned on or to ACC? Phones will not continue to charge if car is off...? Can this be altered by the dealer?
    I have a small bottle of Goof Off, and the stuff is amazing. Ever taken some velcro off somewhere for example and the sticky adhesive is left behind? No problem for Goof Off.
    Without us on the board they are not reminded that there was equal or better car around for significantly less money. I've read the comments that spending $15-20k more is fine because they can easily afford it. So can I but I'd rather spend it on other things particularly when the car that costs less gives me more satisfaction than the car that costs more. I don't buy the heritage argument for one second and I don't care about MB's status. MB of course markets both to the maximum and I'm amazed that intelligent people fall for it.It also seems, based on recent posts on this board some previous German car owners are switching over to Lexus. What did you think of post over there that the LS430 is not all that quiet? I had the 98 LS400 and though it was very quiet the new model is even more so. Someone can never fool a person with true experience.