Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Getting set for AC again?
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Hmm, sorry if I gave you the impression I was offended. I'm not :-) Some people in here tend to blame the "American worker" for their problems, and maybe I got a little testy about that. Japanese owned companies have proven that it isn't the American worker. It's the company philosophy that determines the quality of the vehicle.

Various versions of new models are built for a variety of reasons, particularly in a model change year such as this one. They are run on regular roads and test tracks to test suspension, and handling. Changes are made and the cycle continues. Late in the current year they are shown to dealers. Security is very high during this time. Any of them driven on the open road are disguised, including changing nameplates to other models, painting white doors on a black car, changing wheel sizes, and anything else they can think of. For shows they are transported and convered.

These cars get a lot of abuse, changes, gutted, modified, etc. They cannot be sold to the public because of all the changes, work, scratches, dents, etc. Once new production changes are finalized and production starts, these cars are scrapped. (Believe me, you wouldn't want one.)

They are starting on Monday the 23rd because this was the time designated for the start. They know how long it will take to fill the pipline to the dealers. They know how many of each model and option to build, and how long it will take to do that. The entire process if very controlled and detailed. There is no inventory maintained at the plant. As soon as the vehicles are built they go into the pipe for distribution.

The 2002 Camry is nice looking vehicle, but the quality is still in the 2001. These are very good cars. If styling is high on your list, then wait for them and compare to the current year. There will be plenty of both to choose from.
    :-)

I did that back in 1991. My wife didn't like the larger model 1992 and we purchased the 1991 model in September. We still have that car and still get offers from people to buy it. It has never had anything other than regular maintenance and has been an outstanding car. I own 3 Toyotas, every one I have ever bought: 89 Pickup, 91 Camry, and a 99 Sienna.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    will it take for my 2000 Camry CE to break even or turn a small profit? It has 4,600mi. and has the following equipment: A/C,4CYL.-AUTOMATIC, POWER STEERING, WINDOWS, BRAKES, MIRRORS, DOORS, AM/FM/CASS/CD, REAR WINDOW DEFROST - BASICALLY THE POWER PACKAGE. I owe $20,100.00 - so as all can see I'm lop-sided on the 5 year lease. I'll be in the lease for 1 year come this August. Please help, I would like to know how much longer it will be until I can get out of this lease to break even. No more new cars for me!! Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice car but my financial situation has changed. Please advise!!
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    I have several friends who bought CEs and LEs recently. $18000 including tax and everything for CEs and $19000 for LEs. All have those power things. So, I guess it would be a while for you to reach their purchase price (when it's brand new) but by then your car would be a two or more year old car. Camry is a very nice car. Why don't you want it anymore?
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    autonuts: you're going to need at least three years before a creative dealer can get you out of the lease. By creative, I mean get you far enough along they can roll the balance into a new/used car loan. You'll 99% of the time never profit from a lease, and it's tough to get out early without throwing in a wad of cash. I think you're SOL, unless you can find someone to take over the lease, but you'll probably still need to offer some cash for someone to be interested.

US vs Japan Camrys: My 92 and 94 model V6 Camry were US built and they were awesome vehicles. My 97 V6 was Japan built and was the worst of the three as far as fit/finish. Nevermind the parts were cheaper on the 97, that's the same for US or Japan. Now, there was no HUGE difference, just small somewhat meaningless things. Nothing was hardly falling off any of the cars. The 92 and 94 were extremely tight vehicles with no rattles or anything way into the 100K range. We kept the 92 to close to 200K and did no repairs. I think you'd find the worst built car today compared to the best built car is not as wide of a gap as some would want you to believe. There isn't a new vehicle sold in the US I'd be scared to drive across the country in.
    Your question illustrates why I never let me customers into a 5 year lease. You'll be upsidedown until your last payment.
  • johnblakejohnblake Member Posts: 4
    thai357

Thanks for your reply about 2001 Camry LE price!
    You seem to suggest that 2001 Camry LE should sell
    at invoice, which sounds good to me!

Edmunds show that there is a customer cash of 700,
    and dealer incentive of 800, but there is a small
    print saying that the two can not be combined. Do this
    mean that if a dealer sell at invoice, and
    also apply the 700 cash, he makes only 100?
    Or does he actually still get the 800 dollar incentive from
    Toyota?
  • wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Any word on the pricing for the 2002 Camry? Since you guys are already ordering them for your inventory, am I correct to assume that you guys know the MSRP? Thanks.
    Actually, no we don't. We just got the first allocation today so I know what color and equipment we have coming, but next to each one is the price $00000. Seems a bit funny that we pay whatever the manufacturer wants without even knowing what the price is. We should know in a couple of weeks.

FYI, the first ones I have coming have a production date of 8/6 and those will be hard pressed to be at the dealership by the projected date of the 15th.
    Thanks a lot. I can't wait to see the 2002 Camry in person.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I'm hyped for AC. The Camrys we have allocated are going into production 7/23 and 7/28. See you at Bally's!

: )

Mackabee
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    well maximas are all made in Japan and theyve been scoring higher than Camcords in quality surveys (albeit by narrow margins)...

Even Benz has had problems ever since they started building their M-Class in America. My friends parents have a 00 ML430 and it has been a LOT of trouble. broke down in teh middle of an intersection, theyve had enough with unreliable cars and now theyre heading off to get a Passat! go figure! lol

if im correct, BMW has had problems too ever since they began building cars down in Alabama (or South Carolina, i forget).
    not to knock the Camry or anything, but the Camry doesnt look all that great IMO. the C pillar reminds me of a TL and the front an I30. the rear looks classy tho. if i was gonna get a Camry id definetly take the TRD version, that looks hot!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    The TRD version is the one that has be interested right now, I'll have to see the car in person to determine if I really want one or not. When I first saw the drawings in motortrend, I thought it was an I30 also. To me, the current Camry and Acura TL always looked more alike than the Accord and the TL, it's something about the rear wedge shape.
  • elgritonelgriton Member Posts: 67
    Preview pics. are up on the web. It looks almost exactly like the mag-x photos. Although, what's quite disappointing is the SE (sport version) only comes with the regular V6, equivalent to current Solara V6 specs.
    Where?
    yeah id like to see the preview pix...are they the ones on mag-x.com with the white camry?
    More camry preview pictures are available at
    tt-cc.com

*Note, they are only preview pics, no full body pictures are yet available.

Also, sad news for 2002 Camry buyers(Canadian anyway) NO Manual for the V6 model, man I am mad!!!

Horsepower:
    155 for 4 cylinder models, torque: TBD
    200 for V6 models, 209 ft-lb torque
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    To:zhz - It's not that I dislike my Camry or I wouldn't have leased it! But, like my post said because of financial changes, it will take a lot of juggling to make payments. To: sebring95 and cliffy1 - I'll take what you both said under advisement, but I really feel now that I can break even on this car after my third year of the lease. Just look at all the older Camrys that go for $12,000 to $13,000 after 4 years and having many miles on them. My car will most likely have 15,000mi. on it 2 years from now!
  • sunshine60105sunshine60105 Member Posts: 129
    No Problem.... :) Have a great evening!
    Chow!!! :)
    sunshine...if im correct its spelled ciao not chow...jus lettin ya know : )
    the pix give me a better idea of how the details of the car look like. from the pix ill say the headlights and taillamps look good. they look better than the mag-x pix.
    I know it's spelled wrong, I dont know how to spell it correctly, I see how it's spelled all the time ,and then i forget it... :)
    Notice how the Mag-X picture has the steering wheel on the right side of the car? That's a Japanese Camry. The styling for the U.S camry should be similiar but probably not exactly the same.
    well i assumed that the Asian/European market Camry would be basically identical with the American version since pix of the current gen Camry in Japan show the exact same design (but with clear turn signals and mudflaps). maybe for this new one theyre gonna differentiate it from the American version?
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    This is a first for us. The 2002 Camry will not have an ashtray or cigarette lighter as standard equipment. It will be a port installed option in the southeast but I do not know if it will be available for the rest of the country. No big deal but I found it interesting. Southeast dealers are doing offsite training this week on the 2002 Camry and I will be going tomorrow so I will have a lot more info in the next couple of days.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    the current accord has the same deal with the ashtray/lighter-- it doesn't come with either but i guess i kinda like it as i don't smoke-- there's still an accessory to plug in a phone or radar detector.... i kinda wish there were 2 accessories--- but i can deal with 1
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Can someone post digital pictures of the new Camry on this forum as soon as they arrive at the dealers? A lot of us would appreciate that. Thanks
  • edwardh5edwardh5 Member Posts: 130
    Find out if the seats changed and if yes, in what way.
    the maxima doesnt have an ashtray/lighter either...its just a felt lined compartment and u have to buy the ashtray thing to put in place of the felt. instead of a lighter we have a powerport.
    the "chair height" is taller to allow better ingress and egress, improved visibility and an increased sense of control. The front seats feature new cushions that use dual-density foam for comfort and support. On the driver's seat, the redesigned lumbar support is more comfortable.

There are nearly 1.7 inches more front seat travel, nearly an inch more room between the driver and passenger's seats and nearly 1.5 inches more room between the front and rear seats. The radio and heating/cooling unit has been moved up on the dash for better visibility and easier operation.
    As noted before there isn't an ashtray or lighter as standard equipment but it will have the two power outlets! I do not know if the optional lighter takes away one of the outlets.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is it true that the V6 will be more or less the 200hp variant lifted directly from the Solara? Has it been modified at all to reduce weight or fuel consumption? What about the US spec SE model... I'm sure many of you have seen, from a previous posting, (that listed a Camry site, http://www.tt-cc.com) the speculation that the SE will be unavailable with a 5sp stick? Arrrggghh...

Any confirmations?

~alpha
    One of the main complaints - by edmunds, click and clack, and consumer reports was that the seat cushion was too short, front to back.
    Has that changed?
    I do not know. We will not know until the car is here next month. Spec sheets are informative but at times misleading. An inch here and 1/2 inch there may not seem like much but can be considerable in the way a car feels.
    2.4L DOHC 157 horsepower 162 torque

3.0L DOHC 192 horsepower 209 torque

ALPHA01 It appears the 2002 Solara is still available in a 5 speed but the southeast region is not buying any for the month of July.
    192 hp? That's less than the current Camry V6. That doesn't make any sense to have a weaker engine than the existing V6.
    CA Emissions spec versions of the current Camry have lower hp ratings.....133 for the 2.2-4cyl and 192 for the 3.0V6.
    Toyota was probably aiming for the ULEV or SULEV rating for all next generation Camrys sold hence the lower hp. That really frekin sucks. I hope the car (V6) didnt gain too much weight.
    Man, that really sucks.
    ~alpha
    I clicked on the hyperlink ,and all I saw was old Camrys from the year that I have which is a 94 ,and 95 or 96.....No New Pics of the 2002 Camrys. (sigh)
    So the 2002 Camry remodeling will be almost similar but not exactly to the Japanese Camry? Right? Is the Camry even being remodeled? If so, then could someone explain please. I'm very confused..

Is 2002 gonna look like the picture that is at the website http://www.mag.com/scoop/camry0103/01.jpg

or a little different or what? Please explain. (sigh)

Thanks

Hi,
    You said in a post that your friend test drove the 2002 Camry at the George Town Plant, well did you two trade pics of the 2002 Camry or anything?
    I'm very confused. wenyue said in post #1076 that
    the 2002 Camry model is the Japanese model,and that the steering wheel is on the right which is a obvious feature for foreign countries. My question is, Is the 2002 Camry gonna be the same model
    that are shipped to the United States because wenyue said that they are gonna be a little different? Camrys are made in Japan and Kentucky,now how can they make the 2002 Camrys for Japan ,and then make a the Camrys a little different for the U.S. ?Makes no sense to me. Am I making myself clear or am I confusing you? Please help...
    Thanks...
    sunshine60105
    Courtney :)
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I don't understand what you find so confusing. Hopefully I can help. The all-new 2002 Camry will be in dealers early-mid August. It is the car in the pictures at the mag-x website. The Kentucky plant makes the cars for both the US and Japan, and of course there are differences. Japanese versions have the steering wheel on the right side, US versions on the left. Bumpers will be different because there are different safety/crash standards in the two countries. Plus, some trim pieces and options may be different. But they're all built on the same assembly line, and they're probably 99% the same car. Just like in the Tahara plant in Japan, the Toyota Celsior and the Lexus LS 430 are built together. They are the same car, just one is for Japan and one for the US. This happens in plants all around the world. The Mercedes M-Class is built in Alabama, yet different versions are built for, again, different parts of the world. It's not confusing, it's car-building economics.
    Sunshine-

http://www.tt-cc.com when that page opens up, click "Skip Intro". there ya go.

It was posted by a someone a couple days ago, it does not have full pictures of the camry just about 8-10 zoomed in shots of exterior parts.

Click on each pic. there's also a brief spec page. you can get to that by clicking "CLICK HERE"

~alpha
    No one will say until the car is sitting on a dealer's lot next month that the car in the pics are the same car but it really is. You will not see any offical pictures or literature on the 2002 Camry from Toyota Motor Sales until September 1st. The release date is still the 15th but it may be moved up to the 9th because 2001 Camry is selling out faster then expected due to incentives. Honda is ahead of Toyota by about 18000 cars year to date and Toyota wants each dealer to have plenty of Camry for the rest of the year. Spy pics appear from time to time but it is almost impossible to take any pictures of the car at the plant. When a plane goes by the test track there are several sheds the driver is radioed to park the car under until clear. I was at the plant right before the Avalon redesign and it was the same thing then. I took a picture of a wrapped Avalon going to the track from a pretty good distance, it made me feel good but you couldn't tell any features or design of the car because of the masking. The Camry is a drastic body style change aimed toward more of the younger buyer and still keep our core clients as well. The LE is the entry level and we will represent around 73% of all the Camry sold. The car is available in the 4 and the 6. The SE is the sport edition and will have fog lamps, spoiler, different front fascia etc. The XLE is still the luxury edition withe the SE and XLE having a factory package option that does give the Navigational system. The nav system is the best I have ever been introduced to with it being adjustable in different positions to help prevent glare and can calculate routes in an average of 3.5 seconds. The negative is the 6 disc in dash CD changer that I am used to being in the top of the line Toyotas can not be used because of space constraints when the nav is installed. The single disc can be accessed by pressing a button and the the nav system opens to allow access to the cd player(I may be wrong on that last part). I saw the car back in November at Toyota's dealer meeting in Vegas and can't really remember a lot about it because it was up on stage with effects and smoke surrounding it. It was a teaser shot still in the concept stage at that time. I have spoken to three people that have driven teh car and all have said that the car is not very photogenic and you really have to see the car to get a good understanding. I hope this helps any confusion, simply put it seems to be a nice car and I think the Accord had a good chance of being # 1 this year until the redesign.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I wonder why Toyota didn't design the car to accomodate the in-dash 6-disc and the nav system. They did on the Lexus LS 430.
    Rick,
    Ok, now I understand... Thanks for clearing up my confusion... :)
    Thanks! :) I understand now! :) You and lenscap have been of some help.. Have a great weekend! :)
    Courtney
    Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the little help you gave me, it helped.. I love the 2002 Camry, I'm defintely gonna get a 2002 Camry...
    Thanks again Joe!
    I can do without the nav systems.
    Do we have a problem in america with people getting lost?
    That can be fixed by a nav system?
  • tommy38tommy38 Member Posts: 32
    New Camry bigger, quieter, better looking
    Toyota's popular sedan moves from `sensible' to `sensual'
    Alex Law
    WHEELSBEAT

NEW LOOK: The Camry has been redesigned for 2002, making it roomier, quieter and less box-like.
    Toyota will launch a bigger and improved version of its Camry sedan this fall. The general goal is to give the car more personality while bolstering its reputation for brick-like reliability.

Details on the 2002 Camry, including official photographs, have not been released by Toyota Canada, so the actual final offerings may be somewhat different.

But, with enterprise, it is possible through various channels to put together an idea of what to expect.

Camry's fifth generation gets its first all-new chassis in 10 years. The intent is to create a larger, tighter, quieter car.

On that improved superstructure, Toyota has styled and packaged a Camry that moves from "sensible to sensual."

To that end, the North American arm of the Japanese firm is going after after a less bland look, a more aggressive ride, and equipment levels that deliver a "mass-market car with a niche-market feel."

CONSUMER TASTES

That last goal is to be reached by offering model grades that are "based more on consumer tastes than on buyer budgets." How that will work in this country has not yet been explained by the folks at Toyota Canada, so we'll have to wait and see.

What we know for certain is that the new Camry is significantly bigger than the model it replaces, which follows a pattern that's been going on for some time as Toyota learns to design cars for North Americans rather than adapt Japanese cars for them.

Camry's key dimensions are all going up for 2002. The wheelbase is now 2,720 mm, the overall length is 4,806 mm, the width is 1,796 and the height is 1,409 mm. Those are considerable expansions in automotive terms and will result in significant increases in interior roominess.

There was also a concerted effort to raise the new Camry's H-point, which is more or less the position where the occupant has primary contact with the seat. This makes it easier to access and provides a better road view.

To make this interior room more comfortable, Toyota apparently took great trouble to reduce Camry's noise, vibration and harshness levels. The key to this is always a more rigid chassis and body, and Toyota says this was accomplished.

They also crafted a body shape that is more aerodynamic, which helps raise fuel economy as well as lower side noise.

An appreciation for a car's exterior shape is always a personal thing, but it can be said that Toyota stylists made a pronounced effort to make Camry more attractive and have, to some extent, succeeded.

People who've seen it say it has a lot less of the appliance look that is a hallmark of the current model.

Camry's natural audience will never require that it be "a driver's car," but Toyota does want it to be a little more responsive in its next iteration. To that end, the suspension uses a MacPherson strut with a stabilizer bar up front, a dual-link strut with a stabilizer bar in the back, gas-filled shocks, and an anti-vibration sub-frame.

To power the new Camry, Toyota has created a new base four-cylinder and retained the optional V6.

The new engine is a 2.4 L twin-cam 16-valve inline-four that develops 157 hp at 5,600 rpm and 162 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. It has an aluminum alloy block and head, and distributes the 87-octane fuel through a multi-point electronic fuel-injection system.

For the 2002 model, the 3.0-L V6 delivers 192 hp at 5,300 rpm and 209 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm running high-octane gasoline through its multi-point electronically-controlled fuel injectors.

Both engines will come equipped with a five-speed manual transmission, but there'll also be a new four-speed automatic available.

SUPERIOR LAUNCH

Toyota says owners can expect these powertrains to give superior launch capabilities to the current model, which is the result of some more aggressive tuning and the lesser curbweights.

As for the curbweights, the four-cylinder models will run from 1,400 to 1,460 kg and the V6 lineup will run from 1,495 to 1,542 kg.

In the U.S., the Camry will be packaged as the LE, the XLE and the SE, with each set to deliver a higher level of content in a more focused fashion — the volume model, a luxury model and a sportier model.

It's worth pointing out that Toyota did not contribute any of this information, so there might be variations when their decisions are announced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact Alex Law at CarCanada@aol.com