Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems

Comments

• bobbya2bobbya2 Posts: 35
    I would be grateful if any suggestions for price and problems info.
    I saw vehicle and verbally OK deal. My friend test-drove as he fixes his own cars at home.
    Did not see underneath for leaks of any kind as
    Seller seemed decent and honest.
    But my Mechanic who lives 50 miles away and did not see van, Recommends Timing-belt change, & Minor tune-up immediately.
    Asking price was $8000 and verbally finalized at $6700 and Book Value is $8300.
    I was shopping for used 95-96 camry and already camry, but my wife asked me to look for Mini-Van instead.
    Thanks in advance
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,876
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will tell you what the factory suggested maintenance intervals are.

I'm not sure which book you looked at, but you can run a customized price appraisal here using the "Used" links and drilling down to the Quest pricing pages.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,640
    for the resident Quest heads. I believe this has been referenced before, so hopefully an easy one to answer.

My wife has a '99 Quest. Recently, the driver's window has been acting up. Sometimes it won't respond when you push/pull the button, but eventually works if you jiggle the button a bit.

Is this usually a switch issue, or the regulator? And, how big (and expensive) a deal is it to get fixed?

Another couple of foibles, and wifee will start making more noise about a new car (which she does whenever the old one has a problem). I better hurry up and get one for myself before it is too late.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

A quick discussion search turns this up:

dhoff Mar 23, 2002 10:30am

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• packer31packer31 Posts: 3
    first pending major cost after 115k miles--what are the consequences of NOT repairing broken manifold exhaust bolts? thanks in advance for response.
  • dnuggetdnugget Posts: 17
    Anybody there knows the correct wheel torque setting for the 2000 Villager Sport's alloy wheels? Thanks.
  • Our 95 Villager LS is just over 91,000 miles.
    Mostly trouble free. All of a sudden today, it randomly will loose the electronic dash, the windows, turn signals, radio etc don't work, but the engine still runs. Transmission acts as it is starting in second or even third gear. I think it even drops out of fourth (overdrive) when this happens. A few minutes later, it all comes back. Twice it happened when we needed to shut it off. It started and all functions came back a few minutes later. First time it happened, the wife said it wouldn't crank. She called me, and then tried it a minutes later and it started. The mouse seat belts and lights at the bottom of the doors still work when all else is out.
    Any ideas?
  • haropharop Posts: 59
    My wife has a 97 quest and in 6 years the only problem we have, is the Radio ON/Off push button does not function. I found a little workaround:
    insert audio tape - this will activate tape
    eject audio tape - this will turn off the system, including radio.
    Anyway, does anybody knows how to fix this? I am just hopind some little trick may fix, otherwice this is not a big problem.
  • mgflmgfl Posts: 11
    The Cruise Control on my 1994 Quest just stopped working. The Cruise Control button lights up when pressed, but nothing happens when I press the steering wheel control to set the speed and the dash light does not turn on. Any ideas?
  • mn_patmn_pat Posts: 67
    I am thinking of purchase a popup camper to pull behind my Quest. How does the Quest handle towing? How much does it cost to have a hitch installed?

Thanks
    Bad solder joints on the radio? Bad contacts on the cruise control switch?

My drivers side power window switch is starting to get a bit erratic.

Anyone?

Steve, Host

I just had to replace the drivers side window control. It was hit or miss whether it would work (usually required some jiggling). Part was about $79 at the parts counter, and I had them install for .5hr labor, so probably very easy to DIY. No problems since.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

I've had my door apart a few times regluing my driver's side mirror, so I'm gonna try the hammer trick first when it finally dies.

Steve, Host

• I had a 1995 Quest, really liked it but it was totalled in an accident. I'm looking at replacing it with a 1996 Villager-Nautica. It has 97K miles, but jerks when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. My Quest never had this problem. Can anyone offer any insight or experience with a '96 villager?
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    papa-

Yes, on the 99 & up Quest the top vents are for AC only. There are small vents under the front seats that supply heat to the rear passengers.

I've heard of the radio display problem before and it can be reparied. There's a website (shareamemory.com I think) where they sell instructions to fix it.

Dave
  • mdvmdv Posts: 9
    My driver side window has been acting up for months now. Due to my procrastination, I just haven't taken in to be repaired yet. The window will go down, but not back up without some encouragement-tugging at it with another hand while engaging button! I feel it's either the switch-which would be very easy to repair DIY-all it involves is taking out switch and replacing...or it could be the motor itself.That's best left to the shop in my case. You said parts were $79. What parts were used? Just trying to get my budget in order. Thanks.
    the part was the switch panel itself in the door (the buttons). If it turns out to be the motor, expect to pay more, but apparently the switch is a common problem.

• johnwngjohnwng Posts: 24
    My '99 Quest has about 40K miles. Recently, its speedometer needle is acting up strangely. After driving a few miles, the speedometer needle will move repeatedly and constantly between zero to 40 miles no matter what speed you are driving on. The interesting part is that when you shut the engine off and turn it on again, it works fine for sometime and then the problem comes back. Has anyone on this board experienced similar speedometer problem? Before going to the dealer, I would like to be educated first with your advises/experience. Thanks.
    my 2k quest, 31k miles, just had an injector replaced. Is this a common problem? I hope this improves the gas mileage. I got 17 mpg from my last tank.

Luckily, my car was delivered to its first owner on 9-27-00 so its still under warranty.
    Doesn't seem to be too common a problem. A Discussion Search in here only gets a half dozen hits.

Any news on the speedo, Johnwng?

Steve, Host

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Although, I never had that problem with my Quests (previous 99 & current 2002), I thought I'd mention that our other vehicle (different make) recently had a similar problem with the speedometer needle jumping around.

It turned out to be a bad cruise control silenoid. Not sure if your problem is related to this..., but thought I'd share that information, fwiw. How's your cruise control working?

Have you tried plugging your vehicle (model/year) into Edmunds' Maintenance Guide? You can check for TSBs that might be related to your problem.... Good luck.

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • rabaulrabaul Posts: 3
    I, too, have joined the ranks of those with a power window problem on the '99. Can anyone provide instructions on how to access and replace the switch/switch panel? And/or reference to the page(s) number in the service manual----perhaps I can convince the dealer parts dept. to make me a copy.
    31k miles, We just had the #2 injector replaced on our van. Luckily, the van was delievered to its original owner on 9-27-01, so it was covered under warranty. Is it common to have injectors replaced? I hope this helps the mileage, over Memorial weekend we got 17mpg.
    Thanks Revka for your message. For the past few trips (short/local), the speedometer is working normally, but I am almost certain the jumping thing will come back. Haven't used the cruise control for quite some time. Will check that out to see if related.
    Hi Revka, just as you mentioned, the Cruise Control my Quest is not working either. Is there anything a layman can do before going to the dealer?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi johnwng - The cruise control is comprised of several components; so without a proper diagnosis, I'd be hesitant to recommend replacing anything... as it would be hit or miss. Not to mention, it could be just a loose connection.

Should mention with my 99 Quest, when I had my wiper control switch replaced on tsb, the cruise control accidently got disconnected. They were able to re-connect it in a matter of minutes, with no parts needing replaced.

So now I have to ask, was your wiper switch ever replaced on tsb, or have you had any other work work done, in or around your steering wheel..., that could have caused your cruise to be disconnected? If so, you may want to address this with your dealer service.

One more thing: Sometimes a burned out brake light can cause your cruise to not connect, so check your brake lights.

"Is there anything a layman can do before going to the dealer?"

I don't work on my own vehicles, other than check my oil and tires. However, I do use resources such as Edmunds' Maintenance Guide and Alldata to research problems, I suppose for my own peace of mind, before taking the car to the dealer.

With Alldata, you have to pay for an annual fee, but they also offer more details, as well as do it yourself automotive diagnostic & repair information. At the very least, you can look up the manufacter (recommended) parts and labor costs... to compare with what the dealer wants to charge.

Btw, this Edmunds' article talks a little about alldata and will also link you to their website.

You can also purchase Nissan's technical service manuals or online subsriptions through their website. I've noticed their costs are considerably higher than alldata, although they could be offering more information. I'm not sure.

Just curious if anyone has purchased Nissan's service manual or online service?

Anyway, hope this is helpful. Others here may have more to offer on what they think may be causing your cruise control and speedometer needle problem, so be sure to check back. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Hello Nissan Quest owners,

I own a '99 SE purchased new. It has 70k miles w/o any big problems...except the radio display is now intermittent. Not the radio lights on the buttons but the bright display showing the stations and time. It'll fade out and on occasion comes back on. I don't have an extended warranty and haven't called the dealer yet because I'm sure it'll be expensive. Has anyone had this problem and know of a fix. Thank you, Dave.

Wow, I feel like a celebrity.

You're eminently quotable!

Steve, Host

This discussion has been closed.