Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    rec3rec3 Member Posts: 22
    We just completed a four passenger 1200 mile trip to the beach in our LS8, and it handled the increased weight with grace and comfort. Smooth, stable, and responsive - as usual.

However, the luggage capacity is marginal for four adults. Due to the hinge design, we had to switch from hard suitcases to smaller, duffle or gym bag styles to pack around these obstacles. We still ended up with small bags in the passenger compartment. We did try to minimize the stuff we took, but without brow beating my wife and our guests we could not reduce any more.

I have been very complimentary of the LS in the few posts I have made here, but I feel that shortcomings should be discussed to be fair to potential LS buyers. This site was a factor in my decision to buy Lincoln.

I still love the LS for two or three passenger excursions, but the next time I take four people I will rent a larger car.
  • Options
    cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    lola42,

The corvette ZR-1 (1990-1995) never offered an automatic transmission. GM built a total of 6,939 ZR-1's, all of which were equipped with the ZF S6-40, a joint design from Chevy's Manual Transmission Group and ZF.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    its the drivers like you that enjoy that 'fun factor' of a stick that Lincoln still needs to offer the manual. I sure wouldn't mind having an LS stick.

My favorite car that I have owned still remains my 89 SHO 5 speed. I have a 99 SHO now, and had a 95 Tbird but the 89 was the most fun because of the stick and handling.

If its government cert. costs that killed the manual, than we need to write the government and tell them to make the certification process less costly. Ford already has the transmission, so what's the big deal for them to make it and sell it?
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    The manual was likely discontinued solely due to poor sales. Poor sales were due in part to dealer apathy but to a larger extent due to a low torque engine. Several posts on this board have commented test driving the LS-manual and finding the low-end grunt inadequate. These individuals either bought LS-V8's or went else where and there in is the problem. The manual needs to be able to sell itself but it couldn't due to its engine. So now it's up to Jaguar for Ford and the CTS for GM.
  • Options
    lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    Thanks for setting the record straight on the ZR1 . . . but I'm sure, for at least a year or so during the 80s or 90s, an automatic Corvette was the speed king for the bow-tie brand.

Perhaps "halfs-heimers" atarted setting in on my 40th B-day a few months ago. :-( ???
  • Options
    badazzls6badazzls6 Member Posts: 69
    Get a used Porsche or a new one for that matter and there you will find a 6 speed manual of your likings and a car that will out accelerate and out handle the LS(in any configuration)no matter what the conditions are. We all realize that the manual versions of our cars really don't make that much of an improvement. A quarter of a second difference or even a half second difference means not that much on the street. It means either win or lose; in other words alot on the strip but, I don't think the LS will win any drag races for awhile(besides up against a Stock Neon or a Stock Ram 1500) until FoMoCo decides to get on the ball and really compete with the real competition eg: Nissan(Infinatey), Acura, BMW, Mercades Benz, ect... I say enjoy your car for what it is; an American luxtury car that Travels Well:). Don't take this the wrong way but most of you guys and gals are 40+ years old and to tell you the truth; I do not see many people over the age of 25 street race like the Honda Boys(and girls)do. I got another idea: if you want a car that handles good and could be made to go fast and doesn't even cost that much; find yourself a 1996 Honda Civic Si which only comes in a manual varient and could be made to go real fast on the street or strip for not that much money and another advantage is that you could basically find performance mods for it anywhere you go where it be Pepboys or some online vendor. Oh, you rather have a RWD 4 door or 2 door with more POWER? Ever looked at a Lexus LS, GS, and SC 400's or the new 430's? Those have alot of Power, alot better interior than the Linc LS, and they make mods for it. But, now you say you want a 2 door because it is more sportiy and it has to be an American made vehical. Well look at some new or used Corvettes; they are really really Fast and Furious:) But, that does not appeal to you because of insurance penalties. I got the perfect car I think? A new Infinatey G35 coupe or sendan and there you have it. A solid built, evenly weight distrubuted sportiey car that has your beloved manual trans, and auto(for those of us including myself who don't like constiantly shifting through gears through the gate during rush hour traffic), a potent powerplant that puts the Ford design in the dumpster and you know for a fact that the aftermarket vedors are going to hop on the bandwagon and make plenty of goodies for it. All within the same price range or maybe even less than a LS. I say also, if you want an LS with a five or six speed and have some cash laying around not doing anything (eg: savings, Market, CD's, stocks & bonds) Get the Mclaren 6 speed mated in or get a Cobra or a Jaguar Supercharged 3.9L XKR engine transplanted into your vehical and then that should hopefully satisfy your appitite.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    You don't have a clue, the point with a manual is to be able to select gears yourself. Some folks like it, so they can have more fun. The actual performance may be better or worse but the ability to select your own says a lot instead of letting the crappy slipping automatic do it for you.

Well if anyone wants a manual LS I just spotted one at local dealer....a 2001 in pearl with 10k miles on it.
  • Options
    I can't wait until football season starts! I have a very good understanding to what has been said. I two owned a manual; a 1991 Nissan 300zx non-turbo w/t-tops(I wish upon a star that i had the twin turbo model:) and it was fun up & down shifting through the gate and burning up tires while on my my to high school. After a couple of years, alot miles, and my second high friction clutch replacement; I was tired of the constant shifting during rush hour traffic. I downgraded and turned it in for a 1994 Nissan 240sx w/auto. With the loss of engine power and a loss of 0-60 times plus a loss of handling (mind you both were RWD cars) felt alot better to me than always searching for what gear to go too next. Now, if I had enough money too spread around; I would have a weekend car that would be my Sunday driver and it would be a Tricked out 6-speed C5 ZO6 and have an auto for my Monday through Friday routine. I hope you get my point in being.
  • Options
    rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    <<<The '03 LS information was released in error--a Ford PR screwup--and wasn't supposed to be available until August 27. (The info has been removed from the Ford media website.) As such, the club members who attended Mania 3 won't discuss what they saw & did until the '03 info is (re)released on August 27. That may sound silly, but what's REALLY silly is the fact that someone at Ford made such a boneheaded mistake.>>>>>

Why do some continue to believe they are holding some big secrets. My dealer gave me a preliminary 03 brochure a month ago. I posted the changes and new features a month ago. Get over it. You've lost your "power"
  • Options
    By the way. For those that missed it the first time.

NEW FOR 03
    275 HP V8 with variable cam timing
    Keyless entry keypad
    DVD navigation system
    THX certified stereo. (stupid item)
    Gen III communication system
    Electronic brake assist
    HID headlamps
    Improved interior storage
  • Options
    Is that all the info you have from your dealer?

Rest assured that some of information is INCORRECT and the rest is a far cry from being complete.

The LLSOC members that attended the Mania 3 ARE NOT on a "power" trip as you seem to think. We simply gave our word to Lincoln that we would not divulge specifics prior to their timetable. Sorry if you just "don't get it."
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Check the deck lid hinges on the so-called BIC $54,000 Lexus GS. Same.
  • Options
    px260px260 Member Posts: 42
    I think the LS resale value is right in line with the Hyundais.
  • Options
    <<<Is that all the info you have from your dealer?
    Rest assured that some of information is INCORRECT and the rest is a far cry from being complete.>>>>>

Well if there is missing or INCORRECT information Lincoln sure did waste the money printing it in new brochures for their dealers. Maybe just think the information you sworn to secret dudes were given has changed. How long has it been? 6 months? 8 months?
  • Options
    I have also a solution for trunk space; a 1996 Caddilac Fleetwood Broham. You could fit 3 dead bodies and 3 full suit cases for everyone and still have room for your golf clubs plus it's RWD, a nice car, and you could probualy pick one up for cheap. How about a European station wagon eg: Audi, Volvo, Saab, BMW, Mercades Benz. With those cars you have a huge trunk for throwing whatever you need into(kids, junk, Miatas:) and no hinges to worry about; plus some of those station wagons can out handle, out accelerate, have a smoother drive train, and have real luxurious interior that the Lincoln Company is trying to mimic into the LS or tried too for that matter. Just a thought. I like hearing that some people hear like having their cake and eating it too. Just think about the others who own Miatas and Porsche Boxters; I don't here them complaining about their trunk space or hinges for that matter because any SMART buyer hopefully looks at the trunk space(if its really that important to the individual) before signing their Jon Hancock on the slip. I again have a solution to fit those needs; a Mercades Benz S500. It has more all around power, better interior, quietter ride, smoother ride, room for five real adults, RWD, a real European German built car, and #1 because it has a trunk to live in:) Just my take on the trunk subject.
  • Options
    kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    that a Mclaren would cost I got myself a very nicely built 1999 Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler gives me several things i do not have on the LS:

Convertible.
    5 Speed Manual
    4 wheel drive
    lots of attention! I love the LS but I get more looks (than I ever got before) when I am in the Jeep, with the top down, cruisin along (Wranglers with 33" tires are not very quick)

I love my toy on the weekends but work is where I need the LS.
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    You said: "Why do some continue to believe they are holding some big secrets. My dealer gave me a preliminary 03 brochure a month ago. I posted the changes and new features a month ago. Get over it. You've lost your 'power'"

The people who attended Mania 3 made a promise to not publicly reveal what they were shown, and they are keeping that promise. It has nothing to do with "power", and everything to do with personal integrity.

Only one of us needs to "get over it". I simply responded to a posted request, and that's all I have to say on this particular matter.

JLinc, LLSOC charter member
  • Options
    <<<Only one of us needs to "get over it". I simply responded to a posted request, and that's all I have to say on this particular matter.>>

Your reply was more like a flame. You said I posted incomplete and innacurate information. I replied I posted facts from a just released brochure. You got your Mania info a half a year ago. You don't have anything else to say because I called you on your outdated facts.
  • Options
    It seems to me that the ones who attended Mania 3 were introduced to Tony Soprano and took a code of silence and Tony said,"If I hear that this gets out about the '03 model changes; you all will be sleeping together with the sharks in the Atlantic, Kapiech." Remember, that Tony or some other goodfella is watching and listening to your every move; so, be careful in what you say. Oh, by the way; that stunado exec. from FoMoCo came up missing the next day and no one can find his whereabouts. If you have any information about his whereabouts, please report it to your local FBI quarters.

I guess that this info on the '03 MY. is Top Secret and we all will have to wait to find out the real truth when the car makes it's way to our local showroom floor.

Peace
  • Options
    <<<Your reply was more like a flame. You said I posted incomplete and innacurate information. I replied I posted facts from a just released brochure. You got your Mania info a half a year ago. You don't have anything else to say because I called you on your outdated facts.>>>

Please get YOUR facts straight . . . johnnylinc never said your information was innacurate . . . I DID! Those people that attended LLSOC Mania 3 saw the '03 LS less than 24-hours AFTER the dealers did (the dealers viewed the '03 LSs in Las Vegas, LLSOC Mania 3 attendees saw then in Irvine, CA). Lincoln went way out of their way to do this for us.

Marketing brochures, especially those that DO NOT get distributed to the general public, often change, and without notice. It appears it is you with the OUTDATED FACTS (and innacurate information).
  • Options
    <<<Marketing brochures, especially those that DO NOT get distributed to the general public, often change, and without notice. It appears it is you with the OUTDATED FACTS (and innacurate information).>>>>

Lola you don't seem to comprehend the facts either. You attended (I guess) the big Mania event many months ago. The dealers JUST received the brochure I was given which states the new features on all 03 Lincoln models. Now how could those facts be outdated? If that's true then the Mania facts must be prehistoric.
  • Options
    I guess you didn't get the memo that Ford Marketing slipped up and posted the '03 specs prematurely last week. Didn't see it? Too late! They've since recognized their error and have denied access to the info to the general public.

Face it rgnmstr . . . you're just out of touch with reality.
  • Options
    jhoffman61jhoffman61 Member Posts: 82
    It looks like the issues that infested the CTS board have now taken hold here. Let's hope for a vaccine, otherwise this board will be shut down too.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    But things do need to calm down in here. Maybe the heat wave is making for some cranky people?

There really isn't any point in getting into a childish back-and-forth over who has outdated facts and who doesn't. Just chill, and the info will be available to everyone when it is available.

Okay?

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    This was just released:

Lincoln LS '03 changes update

New VVT timing heads for both engines; will increase power though a broader rev-range.

Revised intake manifold

5 speed Automatic gearbox with selectshift(I guess Ford didn't want to go back in time to a Prehistoric Manual Transmistion, Sorry!) Coming as a later '03 change will include C.V.T.(Constant Variable Transmistion) Which will allow the vehicals to get better gas mileage and also be faster than any Pansy Azz Manual could ever be or for that matter; No human could think or shift as fast as the CVT can.

New and improve timing chain that corrects and prevents the drone noise that was brought to Lincoln/Mercury's attention.

Updated front and rear facia for a more sportiy approach.

Chrome polished exhaust tips stick out of the rear facia now.

Keyless entry panel on the driver's side door(No more fumbling around for keys)

Increase interior storage volume.(Someone finally listened)

New headliner.

More interior color options.

(Optional)High Intensity Discharge Xenon headlamps.(It's about time they offered it.)

(Optional)THX surround sound for an incredible realistic sounding car stereo.

(Optional)DVD Navigational system(for those of you that don't know how to read a paper map)
  • Options
    funkcityfunkcity Member Posts: 100
    Hey badazzls6,
    Where is that "Offical Release" to be found?
    Thanx!
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    If one is talking about the "chain over pulleys" type tranny that is available in Audis and some other low torque applications, I don't think you will see this in the LS for quite a while. Maybe you are refering to the paddle shifted clutchless manuals in mostly F1 cars. These are very expensive and one has to ask "why". Isn't an automatic just as good?
    You think autos are the cat's meow, don't you?
    I think the jury is still out on the application of CVT's in high torque applications. There is also a limit on the ratio range unless you want to put them in series. Are there any over the road diesels with CVTs yet?
    If CVTs have a torque converter, you are back to one of the weaknesses of the whole auto concept.
    I'm sure when CVTs find there way into performance cars, we will see A-B testing that will tell us if this is better than a manual or the hydro-electronic trannies we have today.
    Alot of the advantages of a manual over an automatic depend on driver skill. Let's face it - some drivers don't think and feel in a mechanical fashion. When I drive, I can envision gears meshing and synchro teeth meshing. I've taken apart and rebuilt MTX from Corvairs to Toyota five speeds. I've also modified two Muncies for faster shifting. The Getrags actually are slow shifters.
    The magic of MTX is the control of many variables that automatics, even in Manual Mode, do not allow. One of the most important is stall speed in the torque converter, which is pretty locked in at the design stage.
    With an MTX, the stall speed is contolled by the inverse relationship of the location of the left and right pedals. This is very complex for many drivers. If MTX transmissions were the only choice, our roads would be relatively uncrowded.
    Driving would be almost a Darwinian function.
    It will a long time before some of us gearheads will give up our stick shifts. It's like the guys who say they will give up their gun when they pry their cold dead fingers off the trigger. I like to say that driving a car with an automatic is like using a condom.
  • Options
    funkcityfunkcity Member Posts: 100
    Hey badazzls6,
    Where is that "OfficIal Release" to be found?
    Thanx!
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    The Audi CVT can (does) handle a 3L V6. It has a very broad gear ratio range of 12.7:1 to 2.1:1. It uses a hydraulic multi-plate cluch rather than a torque converter and gets the same gas mileage and acceleration performance as a manual.

That's Audi's CVT, no idea what Ford has.

But I still prefer a foot operated clutch and shifting myself....
  • Options
    Hey, I like Parliament Funckadelic too but, I have my sources and you'll just have to wait until it is fully released to the public on 08/27/02; Sorry.
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    after listening to this insane diatribe that it is better to leave Edmunds for a more intelligent and useful exchange of information.

I can see the next Intelliseek report on the LS now. LS enthusiasts know about the 2003 LS, do not, do so, do not, do so. Who cares?

Adieu all, you will know where to find me.

Brian
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    Brian, this site NEEDS your participation. This is where many potential buyers get their information. Do not abandon them just because a couple individuals seem to have a 5 year old's mentality. Why allow a few petty individuals take over the kingdom? That is like saying, "I know a couple politicians are corrupt therefore I will have no further involvement in politics." Such an attitude only surrenders the future to (place personal insult here). We need to combat this juvenile activity with accurate and reliable data, and you are an integral partner in accomplishing that goal. Please remain a active participant

Besides, I doubt many people seeking true facts about the LS will discover the LLSOC site. You are much more valuable here. We need respectful, informative posts and this is where you excel, especially since you have Lincoln's ear.
  • Options
    lsv8lsv8 Member Posts: 26
    I agree with keyrow; this forum will be a lot less interesting without ls1bmw0, one of the founding participants in the Edmunds Lincoln LS board.

If Brian goes then the terrorists have won.
  • Options
    hmmhmm Member Posts: 11
    Just had my rear window lock up. I asked the dealer to replace both, they will not. What is the latest other's are experiencing on this?

Also, the paint is looking bad on the pillar's between the front and rear doors. The service mgr said it is because of the chemical used at the car wash, not their problem. I am arguing that I am not have a problem with my wife's Lexus or my daughter's Civic.

Any advise?
  • Options
    cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    As a regular lurker here for a while now, I would bet the knowledge available here will continue aside from the regular "diversions" that occur on any public board. Interestingly, Brian's actual posting rate here is much less than in the past, probably based on the wealth of info given by others, based on his early lead.

I bet Brian will jump in when he is needed again and that the "spirit" of this board will continue. I also think however as an observer, that the "I know something you don't" stuff is bait for those fishing for a fight. If you are in the know, best to lay low and use the info for yourself. A full retreat to a closed forum does not provide the outlet many here seem to need (owners as well as potential owners).

I bet we see Brian's posts again when there is something worth responding too...
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Two things:

I asked my dealer to replace the window regulators in both rear doors according to the TSB as a preventative measure. He did. YMMV. Mention the TSB and get regional manager involved to put more pressure on.

Wackos: I don't blame Brian a bit. This BS over the last few days is pathetic. MANIA III attendees being accused of being on a power trip, when all we're doing is keeping our word to the Lincoln engineers who hosted us, allowed us to see, sit in and drool on 2 2003 LSes and who went over every new feature of the 2003 in detail with explanations of what, how and why etc. Get that from your stinking brochure. And then there's the poster who says 'I got special information and you don't. Ha Ha.' Geez, grow up. This poster in particular has a real bad azzitude and attempts to piss someone off with each of his moronic, misspelled posts. I wish he would take his toys and find another sandbox to play in.

George
  • Options
    brunobusbrunobus Member Posts: 77
    To whoever it was that posted about the auto Corvette accelerating faster than the manual, you are correct. It was in C & D probably 6-8 years ago and the difference to 60 was about .1 seconds. The 1/4 mile speed, however, was quicker with the manual.
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    ditto on the same two items as heyjewel in #9486.

Let's please ignore the three or four trolls who occasionally frequent this board. They obviously feed off the attention and contribute nothing. Probably abused children or relatives of that long departed "g" person. Brian, this is the place potential LS buyers come for advise.

hmm: Your dealer is woefully misinformed. I too
    got both rear window regulators replaced before they failed. And I've had a problem with flaking on the black B-pillars also. Dealer replaced them...no questions asked. Seems Lincoln gets a "bad batch" every now and then. A talk with your Service Manager and/or a call to the regional
    manager will get you the service you've paid for.

Maybe ask them for a 2003 LS catalog ;-)
  • Options
    lsv8lsv8 Member Posts: 26
    My right rear window froze in a partially-open position THIS WINTER. With teeth chattering, I drove to the dealer, informed him of the TSB and he proceeded to fix just the window that was broken, not both, as the TSB recommends.

This was the last interaction I had with this dealer. I switched over to a different one to replace the other window (which also went bad not too long afterwards) and, so far, have not had any problems service-wise.

Of course, this may not be the best solution to the 'less-than-attentive dealer problem' if the next nearest dealership is > 30 miles away.

I'm just glad that, for the most part, we don't have any really MAJOR gripes with the LS as some of the other makes do (BMW's flawed paint, etc.).

One of the biggest fears I had about coming back to American brands was the issue of reliability. After driving this car daily for two years it has never once failed to start when I turned the key. With the release of the LS, Lincoln has single-handedly restored my faith in the U.S. car industry's ability to compete with the best foreign manufacturers in terms of quality and reliability.

(stepping off the soap box now)
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    I've refrained from posting here for the last few days, as this forum has gotton a bit out of hand.

First, it seems that this country needs a refresher course in ethics. At my last job I frequently gave non-disclosure presentations about future products to customers. The last couple of years that I was there I just could not belive how many people would sign a written non-disclosure contract and then turn right around and tell everthing I just told them to the competition.

Not having attended Mania III, I've been waiting anxiously to hear what the the attendees saw and heard. However, I've not seen any reason so chide or belittle any attendee for not spilling the beans. If I had attended and agreed not to say anything until Aug 27, I would abide by that agreement even if the front page yesterday's of the NY Times printed the '03 LS specs. I admire the Mania III attendees for giving their word and sticking too it!

On the other hand, since I was able to find out most of the details on the '03 LS by other means and it's almost impossible for me to not throw a little gas on an open fire, I'll just say this rgn & dazz, you're lists are neither fully accurate nor complete.
  • Options
    This is the place where LS owners, and more importantly, potential LS owners, come to research the marque. It would be foolish to jeopardize that information for silliness.

One thing that has always distinguished this forum from several others is the civil way we have been able to discuss disagreements. I still maintain that LS owners are among the classiest bunch of people that I have had the privelege to meet.

So, anyone take a look at the picture of stanny1 at the G35 meeting?

P.S. keyrow, et al...thanks!

P.P.S. Only reason I haven't posted much lately is that there wasn't too much to discuss. Besides, didn't want to look like I was hogging the board! :)
  • Options
    jerry2281jerry2281 Member Posts: 97
    I had dealer replace passenger side B-pillar cover due to flaking. No problem, except that replacement is more complicated that it looks, so plan to leave car for one day and be sure the part is in stock. Mine is a 2001 LS with a December, 2000 build date.

Good luck!

As a Mania II and III attendee, I sincerely appreciated the the trust that the Lincoln LS team showed the LLSOC members. It has been EXTREMELY difficult not to share many of the exciting improvements scheduled for the 2003 model. And we promised Lincoln not to share anything publicly prior to the on-sale date. They stuck their necks out for us. Remember that the info they shared with us was proprietary at that time and that millions of dollars are at stake to retain a competitive advantage. If any information leaked out from us, do you think there will ever be a chance for Mania V or VI attendees to get an advance look at the 2005 models and provide input on desired improvements??? I am unaware of any other direct factory/owner relationship that should be so
    valued. The Mania attendees are not only seeking to protect our promise to Lincoln, but to provide opportunities for others to share the experience in the future.
  • Options
    Heyjewel:<<<<<<<And then there's the poster who says I got special information and you don't. Ha Ha.' Geez, grow up. This poster in particular has a real bad azzitude and attempts to piss someone off with each of his moronic, misspelled posts. I wish he would take his toys and find another sandbox to play in>>>>>>>

Now when I write on this forum; I do not wish to target anyone. I only state my opinions which I don't know if you live in the same country as I do which is the land of the free and free speech to boot; Not, [non-permissible content removed] Germany! Yes, I might be younger than all of you; I'm 22 years old, probualy the youngest here or for that matter to have and appreciate our beloved car. If you notice and put your bifocals on that I stand by and protect the LS from posters gripes. When I talk about other cars; can't you see that I'm in other words saying,"If you don't like the LS, get something else or quit complaining." My opinions do not hurt anyone and I usually am here to ask a question or someone's opinion. Lately, I've been seeing alot of B.S. around here and I decided to fix it. What actually happened here is that almost everyone came to their senses and will hopefully get on real topics that include our cars in a positive fashion. Now who was the actual child here; the one who writes strong gestures with obvious finger pointing or the one who just gives his opinion in the time of need?

P.S. The misspelled thing is more like an Edmunds' thing; the spellcheck doesn't work that well and I don't want to look in the Webster's book everytime to please you.
  • Options
    We have a splunkcheeser? Oh, that's what that button does? Here I thought it said Check Spielberg! :) Always wondered why we wanted to see what Steven was up to?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for some very reasonable posts today. Brian is right, this is a civil and respectful group, but from time to time one, two or three folks attempt to disrupt by getting into petty and pointless disagreements.

Someone said (not naming names) that he/she had decided to "fix" the baloney going around here lately.

THis is the part that is the hardest for some follks to understand: you will never fix it by responding. You will only fix it by ignoring.

Every time you respond, you are inviting AND WILL GET a response from someone who is making trouble. Therefore you have actually made the problem worse! After the trouble maker has posted again, you and often others get more drawn in to trying to "fix" it and things get bad very quickly from there.

Most of you understand this. Some of you still need to try to keep it in mind.

Now, let's stop letting the off-topic baloney interfere with the reasonable discussion that is usually taking place in here.

Other comments about this situation should be taken off-line, okay?

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    (as if you could stop me :))

Under normal circumstances I will show up here at least once a day, and sometimes more than that (particularly if I see a problem brewing).

If when I get here there is one poster who is being disruptive, off-topic, uncivil -- any of those things -- it is easy enough for me to deal with that one poster by removing the message(s).

On the other hand, if when I get here one poster has been disruptive, off-topic, uncivil -- any of those things - AND has generated a number of responses, it becomes impossible to handle quietly and most effectively.

The only reasonable thing to do at that point is issue a public "smack" to all involved. Often this just generates more off-topic mess (see what's happening here!!) and things deteriorate before they get better.

The point IS (finally): if you would just leave it to ME to deal with problem posters, things would not get so out of hand in here. You folks who understand this can help by reminding others, and all of you can help by emailing me when a problem arises so that I will get here as soon as I can.

I hope this makes sense -- please shoot me an email if I can clarify my thoughts or this situation any further.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

:)
  • Options
    vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    At;

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com

Go to the "car page" then click on the 2005 LS icon.

It is just a non running prototype shown at consumer clinics, but it gives you some idea of where they are going with the car.
  • Options
    That has got to be the worst job of Photoshop I have ever seen. If you get past the picture of the guy (I shouldn't complain, he even makes me look good!) and check it out you'll see the roof line of the existing LS.
  • Options
    To get the forum back on track, I've changed tires on the project car once again. (Not to get the forum on track, but you know what I mean....)

The Bridgestone Potenza S-03s were definitely getting octagonal and no amount of Hunter 9700 balancing was going to get them back to round. I don't know if being the test mule for the McLaren brake kit helped them along but I would have thought tires that were marketed as maximum performance tires would be able to put up with that type of abuse. But since I don't know how many full-on stops they did, it's reasonable to assume the tires didn't appreciate it. That plus the high rate of wear on them made me search for other options.

I settled on Kuhmo Ecsta Supra MX ZR (why can't tires be named something simple anymore?) in 245/40/18Z size. Tire Rack has them for $170 each and I was able to get them from my local dealer for $150 each thanks to it being the project car.

Initial impressions are that they are a quieter tire than the S-03s and ride a bit softer as well. Until I have them broken in I can't comment on the cornering ability but they seem to have the same crisp turn-in as the Michelin Pilot Sports. For the price they seem pretty good so far.

P.S. When I drove into the tire store's parking lot a tattooed and skin-punctured youth was sitting watching me drive in. When I got up to him, he remarked "Cool car, what is it?" So I told him. He liked it:) Also, when I showed up earlier at Midas to have some tips welded onto the Magnaflow system, I brought the service bays to a standstill as all the technicians came over to check out the brakes and adjustable suspension. Kinda cool to get that kind of a response for a Lincoln!
  • Options
    Brian, I have also Kuhmo Ecsta 712 in 245/40/18ZR and I like them alot. I haven't had a problem yet with them and they so far have good tread life. An added plus+ is that they don't cost that much and I think they compare to the higher dollar Mich., Bridgestone, etc... All in all a excellent tire for the money spent. I have a question concerning brake roters; I was browsing through the web for performance add-ons for my car and came across slotted/drilled roters for both the front and rear for $118 apiece at brakewarehouse.com. Will replacing the roters leaving the stock brake pads and lines stock increase my braking performance? By the way, I haven't yet taken my brakes off and was wondering if the only thing holding the roter on is the brake caliper or is it a complete dis-assembaly that involves undoing the cotter-pin and having new wheel studs put on the new roters?