Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    So has anyone actually purchased/negotiated a deal recently (since July 2) on an LSE model? Was wondering if the LSE is going for invoice as indicated on Edmunds TMV (before you add options), and the $3000 rebate is deducted from Invoice? If so, thats not a bad deal. If not, might be interesting to see how prices drop in a couple of months when the 2003's start hitting the lot. I would imagine it would be kind of difficult moving a 2002 V8 that has the same HP yet worse mileage as the 2003 V6.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The 2003's won't hit the lot til November at the earliest and possibly December or January.
  • Options
    rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Group,
    First problem with our 2003 V8 Sport which now has around 20K miles. The headlights have started to do that condensation thing. Have the people who have had theirs replaced under warranty experienced any problems with the replacements? Thanks.
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    Just got back from Maine, 900 total miles on the road. Saw only 2 LS's the whole time, both when passing through Mass., one on the way up the other on the way back.

While the lack of other LS's on the road may at first be disconserting, I'm thinking that the exclusivity is a plus.

From Ronniepooh's observation that the LS Sport has become the car of choice for the wives of Town Car owners (I should know my father in law has a Town car and my mother in law would sure like to have my LS), the only conclusion that I can reach is the these 2nd car LS's simply spend most of their time sitting in garages.
  • Options
    post #9304 ""First problem with our 2003 V8 Sport which now has around 20K miles. ""

Rgnmstr:

To me the more important question is how have you managed to get 20K miles on your 2003 LS so fast?
  • Options
    mkerrmkerr Member Posts: 5
    Really? I thought it would be september at least. Maybe I'm getting new wheels sooner than I thought...
  • Options
    What the heck, lunchtime, Infiniti Dealer not far from the job, so I venture in to simply get a brochure on the G35 Coupe. Then I notice the sales woman is dropdead gorgeous WITH a sexy European accent. So an hour later I'm leavin...;-)

Seriously, drove a fairly loaded SEDAN model, with a sticker of $34,000. Only thing missing was the Navigation system. Lookswise, much nicer interior than I expected, based on the reviews here. Seat controls on the right of the drivers seat, and maybe cuz Im slender, my leg came no where NEAR the controls, even during a high speed donuts in both directions (gotta check out the at and beyond limit handling, you know). My calf also came no where near the center dash hump, as described by some others. Didnt get a chance to check out the back seat, but plenty of front seat legroom and headroom, even with the sunroof. Same zero dive/squat symmetry in the suspension as the LS. TREMENDOUS braking power. Acceleration was quite strong, but not as blistering as I expected, prolly due to the AC being on and the humid, 90 degree outside temps. Also had 1 passenger aboard. But the VQ engine is an excellent powerplant. Noise level was quite good for a car smaller than the LS, and since it was new, everything was of course tight and rattle free. Slalom handling was excellent, and as Road and Track (or was it the Motor Trend article) stated, the slalom handling exceeded the BMW 330i Coupe. I agree with them on that call. This thing is TIGHT.

Long story short: I was impressed. Not impressed enough to buy one, (Sedan) but impressed nontheless. When the coupe comes out in November, Ill check one out. Just for the heck of it.

LS is still a great car, though.

Related link with decent pics:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t38657.html

• Options
    cieszynskicieszynski Member Posts: 12
    Force98. I purchased an 02' LSE end of March. I got it under the A Plan. Invoice was: $43,520.00. A Plan price was: $38,700. I then got a $2K rebate which paid for my Sales Tax here in Marietta, Georgia. Sure glad I ordered the V8 LSE. Only complaint is the Black Paint Job: "Orange Peel". Only have 4,100 Miles and consider it a great road car. I'd try to get the price lower, you have nothing to lose... I have not seen one other LSE yet, although I know the dealer has had a few to sell. LSE may remain a Premium price until 03' comes out.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    Ron,

Thanks much for the G35 review. I'm going to wait till the manual is available to do a test drive, but appreciate all info from known LS fans in the meantime.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    No it's not a 03. I hit the wrong key. Ok now can we address the headlights?
  • Options
    No prob. Realizing the size of the G35 is smaller than the LS, if your interested, check the interior specs/sizes of the two and compare. The G35 is actually quite space efficient in comparison to the LS. Front Legroom is actually more in the G35, rear legroom is about 8/10ths of an inch shorter. Front head and hiproom is more in the G35.

Keep in mind this is the Sedan G35 Im speaking of. While the G35 Coupe is the same wheelbase as the Sedan, the overall length is about 3-4 inches shorter. Im guessing most of that will be from the trunk, but the rear seat area will probably be slightly smaller as well.

LS and G35...two good vehicles.
  • Options
    force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    We've decided not to buy one. The wife has her heart set on a BMW 740i Sport, so now I'm on the hunt for a nice 2001 CPO car. Don't like the new 7-Series (we think it's ugly), which is why we're after a 2001 lease return (last year for the E38 body style). I must admit we do like the LSE, but we like the size of the 740i. To all of you who own an LS, enjoy! I think it's the only American made car to venture into BMW territory.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Aren't those two terms contradictory? Is that like "Deville Sport"?
    I have yet to see a 740i being driven "Sport" like. Too long, too heavy and with that same engine in a smaller, lighter 5 series, I think it's called a 540i. Somehow, I can't imagine a 740i in Solo 2.
    But even with it's size and bulk, it probably does 0-60 in the high 5's. Of course, no one has ever attempted this on a public street or highway. Just mag test drivers.
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    There's a long story behind the situation, so I won't bore you with it, but I have a set of Continental CH95 tires on my 2000 LS8.
    Just before leaving on vacation, I thought I heard a "thumping" noise somewhere in the car, but I dismissed it as either as some irregular pavement, or my pre-vacation, "overly critical" ear.
    A couple of hundred miles into the trip, the noise got progressively worse, but fortunately we got to our destination without incident. The next day, I found a severely "cupped" portion on the inside of the right front tire. This was very strange, as the "cupping" did not go all 360 degrees around the tire, but was only about half way around.
    Knowing that these Continentals are OE on some of the V-6 LSs, has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • Options
    airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    Stanny,
    But boy does it look mean with those sport rims. Outclasses my LS anyday.. I agree though I don't quite think its autocrossing fare. The LS Barely makes it in and I am sure some still wonder if it should be there. Of course we are all trying to prove that it does belong there... I thinks I would like a 740 over an S500 but I would rather have a CL500 or 600 over the previous two... (Next to an NSX of course) and the LS.

Regards,
    Victor
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    The comments you made about the 740 sound remarkably similar to what many people say about the LS when it's compared to the 3-series or many of the other cars that typically run Solo II. Or the G35, for that matter.

I guess it's all relative.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    I'm sure that many in the "two-door world" think four-door anythings are granny material. But I have always believed that the only difference SHOULD BE two more doors.
    Unfortunately, even most car manufacturers believe in this dichotomy as well.
    Luckily, more and more RWD, 4 door Sports Sedans are debuting. But for about 15 years, they were almost an extinct species.
    The LS's legacy is that it was the first American-made 4 door, RWD, Manual Sports Sedan since the early 80's or so. Nissan and Toyota pulled the plug on the manual Maxima and Cressida in about 1985.
    Then we entered the Dark Ages of FWD. It's great to see the light again.
    To BMW's credit, they never capitulated to FWD (except for the new Mini).
    But, whether 2 door or 4 door, the laws of physics equally apply. The LS is a big and heavy car, but it has exceptional handling. The 2002 and older 740's are handicapped by even more weight and an old suspension design. They are tuned for an older audience.
    But I agree, even the "L" model looks hot with the right wheels.
  • Options
    I have. About 4 years ago when I owned a '98 540i, I attended a BMW Club of America sponsored road race event in Spokane, WA. We were able to drive our cars all out on the Spokane Speedway. I was given the opportunity to drive a 740i Sport all out, then sat in the passenger seat as a skilled driver took me on some laps. I must admit I was white knuckled scared at what the guy did with such a big car, and was amazed at how well it handle for a 4,250 lb car. It will do 0-60 in about 6 seconds, reach 155 MPH (limiter by-passed) and from a stand still it will lay rubber in the first two gears by simply flooring the gas pedal (provided you turn off the DSC/TC). And the sport version is definitely not tuned for "older folks". My 740iL non-sport will put cars of it's size to shame. Just one review here--many mirror it:
    http://www.theautochannel.com/content/vehicles/new/reviews/1999/lweitzman_bmwisport.html
    I'm not here to bash the LS, as I said I was quite impressed after my test drive. I just thought I had to defend the Bimmer gainst some comments that equate the car to a Town Car or DeVille. I wasn't aware that a fully independent suspension was "an old design."
  • Options
    pmeekerpmeeker Member Posts: 10
    Take them both out on long test drive. LS hurts back after a while, seat major complaint, otherwise okay. Overall 7401 worth extra bucks youd get back at back end
  • Options
    to pmeeker. It's obvious with that kind of comment that he's just trying to start an argument.
  • Options
    tlahayetlahaye Member Posts: 81
    Just returned from 3,000 miles, DC area to Roanoke and then Minneapolis thru SD to Yellowstone, out the NE exit (if anyone out there likes mountains, Beartooth Pass between Yellowstone and Red Lodge is amazing) to Billings, acroos Montana and ND back to MPLS and then Roanoke to DC.

Travelling with family. We saw no LS's. None, and I was actively looking. Quite a surprise.

Well, that's not quite right. I saw 8 or 10 on the front line of a Lincoln dealer's lot in Plymouth MN.
  • Options
    There are many kinds of IRS. I think Mcpherson struts are a dog that's had it's days.
    But thanks for the specifications. It's nice to know that the G35 automatic can equal the 740i Sport's 6.2 sec 0-60 at less than half the price. You could buy two of my Manual LSs or two loaded G35s for the price of one 740i Sport.
    The article talks about the perfect 4 door sedan. BMW already builds it. It's called the M5. Same price, more exclusive, and more performance despite very similar weights.
    I just don't think the 740 is in the same class as the LS or G35. It has amazing performance for it's bulk but not for it's price.
    Most of us on this board want a four-door sports car. The 740i is a "sporty" big sedan. It is an anomaly. It's psychographics place it in the higher income/age bracket.
    I'm almost 54 but the car does not appeal to me yet. But I'd take an M5 in a heartbeat. I guess I'll shift until I die. Or I'll die when I can't shift anymore.
  • Options
    I agree the 740 and LS/G35 are not in the same class, and I never said they were. I do believe the 740 is much sportier than others in it's class, such as the Lexus or MB (Audi S8 close). And the M5 is definitely the best 4-door sedan in the world, but after owning a 540i, I just prefer the extra room and trunk space of the 740.
    A few months back one of the emmbers of the E38 740 board @ http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/ took a poll of the ages of the 740 owners who frequent the board. Over 60 members responded, and the average age was 37 (younger than me at 42). I don't think 740 owners are as old as you might think. The dealership where I purchased all my BMWs told me most of their 740s went to guys in their early 40s. I bet LS owners are older on average than 740 owners.
  • Options
    Stanny1.I too, think Macpherson struts are outdated (and annoying to work on), BUT, you gotta admit.. BMW does great things with it. That M3 and even the slightly lesser 330i use struts, and they STILL are amongst the top handling cars in the world.

How BMW does it, Ill never know.

On a separate note, Ive learned to not place as much emphasis on BMW's HP figures, as I do their torque figures. Ex: My buddies '98 M3 feels much stronger acceleration wise, than the G35 Sedan I drove. Dont get me wrong, the G35's acceleration was great and impressive. But my buddys stock M3 pulls in every gear exceptionally strong. G35 HP=260, his M3=240. BUT his torque? 314 ft/lbs. G35's? 260.
  • Options
    Are you sure the 740i does 0-60 in 6.2? According to MT the 540i sport does it in 6.6 (auto). I don't see how the much heavier 740i would beat it (assuming they use the same engine).
  • Options
    BMW says 6.8 seconds, but most car mag testing places it on average at 6.2. Edmunds shows the 0-60 time for a 540i @ 5.8 seconds; Car and Driver at 5.5. The final drive ration for the 540i is 2.81, and the 740i Sport is 3.15 (performance axle w/torque converter), which helps to close the gap. The 5 is about 400 lbs lighter than the 7.
  • Options
    <<<I must admit we do like the LSE, but we like the size of the 740i.>>>>>

Bullcrap! Your wife is looking for the so called status. Check the wheelbase specs and interior legroom and headroom numbers. They are the same. My wife was just the opposite. She wasn't looking for the attention.
  • Options
    <<<<Take them both out on long test drive. LS hurts back after a while, seat major complaint>>>

What??? Magazine reviews, test drivers and owners have stated the LS seats are the fricken great. I've spent hours in my LS Sport and when I get out it's like I just drove around the block a few times.
  • Options
    An idiot who has to throw in a negative comment, when I have been civil with my discussion. And if my wife were looking for the status, so what! Why do you think people buy a Lexus, BMW, MB, Jaguar, etc? We earn the money and can easily afford the "ultimate driving machine" (not just BMW words--read any article ever published). Your wife could have purchased a Nissan Maxima if she "wasn't looking for attention". This will be my last post here, as it is an LS board after all. I didn't mean for it to get on the BMW topic--others started the cross-talk.

P.S. - Go here http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46528/page007.html and see how your LS compared against it's direct competition.
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    That compaison was Pure Bunk! Do you really believe everything you read? Edmund's reviewers have proved their incompetence many times over. Want proof of my statement? Easy, just go back and read their long term LS review and ask yourself these two questions. How many months of ownership was it before they realized the battery was placed in the trunk (to gain better f/r weight distribution)? How many months did they complain about the transmission AFTER they were told about the available reflash that would have corrected the shift pattern and fixed all their complaints? (Hint: longer than 4 months) And they claim to be knowledgeable automotive experts who's mission is to inform the general public?

Also look at which vehicles Edmund's considered the LS's "competition" in your referenced comparison. Most are compact FWD cars. How can that be considered serious? The LS is a mid size RWD sport sedan. The true competition is none of these. If the comparison was against same size and class vehicles the LS would win the "price as tested" value award. It also offers many "luxury" amenities that Edmund's supposed competition do not. Thus I am not surprised that the comparison you point to faults the LS. Bring on the true competition and the LS will definitely hold its own if not outright win.

No one on this forum trusts Edmund's reviews. There is such an obvious BMW bias here that the LS has about as much chance of getting a good review as President Bush has of being praised in the New York Times.

I truly hope you enjoy your 740iL as much as I do my LS. Peace.
  • Options
    cwesleycwesley Member Posts: 55
    looks like Ford is still trying to figure out what to do with Lincoln...

http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0207/19/b01-540799.htm

• Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    Good! Kelley was another "soap salesman" breed. His claim to fame was knowing e-commerce. Ford's heading back to their roots and core values. Hazel is a car guy, and more importantly, was head of Ford's customer service division and has been with Ford for over 30 years.

Another Nasser guy bites the dust. Maybe Lincoln is finally getting the executive "car guys" that they need.
  • Options
    <<<<<An idiot who has to throw in a negative comment, when I have been civil with my discussion>>>>>

Can't handle the truth? The only thing I said was "bullcrap" to your comment regarding size. I see you did not bother to reply to the FACTS I posted.
    Enjoy the BMW especially the maintence bills like when you have to replace the distributor at a tuneup.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This isn't worth it folks, just let it go please. You can agree to disagree without getting into an argument.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Options
    kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    I have a 2000 sport V8 Black and grey interior. Love the car. Only issues, Tranny reflash and crashed rear windows. I just had the windshield replaced due to a rock on the highway. Was about $380. Not too bad but less than my deductable so out of pocket :(. My lease runs out on July 3 2003. I am hearing about a 400 HP LS for model year 2004? When would we see that? Would I have to extend my lease to wait for this new model? Am I dreaming?

Thanks!
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Brian, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to post almost this exact message earlier today, but that nasty old work got in my way.

It seems like a no-brainer to me, but haven't they learned from GM? Let the cars guys/gals run the car companies. Let the soap salespeople sell soap. But what do I know?
  • Options
    tguerinotguerino Member Posts: 22
    I do not usually post messages (quiet lurker) but I saw the comments regarding LS comparison to BMW 540 and 740 and thought I could offer an educated opinion on the topic since I have owned all three, and still own two of the three.

In 2000, I ordered a Lincoln LS with the 5 speed manual, sport package, and every other available option. Bought the car based on the reviews in the car mags comparing it to the BMW 528. I wanted an American car and didn't feel the need to spend extra money just to have a BMW nameplate. My new LS finally arrived. Handling and manual transmission were great. Power, on the other hand was very disappointing. I had test driven 6 cylinder BMW 528's before ordering my LS (there were no 6 cylinder, 5 spd manuals to test drive when I ordered my car) to get an idea of how the 6 cylinder LS would perform. My LS did not have anywhere near the power I was expecting based on my test drives of the BMW 528. Other than the power deficiency I loved the car; great looks, great handling, and American made.

Long story short, Ford bought back my LS 9 months later because of a host of safety defects. I replaced my LS with a used 1999 BMW 540i, 6 speed manual with a V-8. Unbelievable performance and great "driving" car. If you have never driven a 540i you need to do so at least once before trying to compare the LS to a BMW. The torque of the BMW engine is addictive.

Last year I bought a new 740i Sport after my wife had our first child. (Needed a little more room for a child seat from time to time). I still have the 540 manual because it is extremely fun to drive. The 740i Sport, while sporty and very impressive in its own right, does not have the same performance as the 540. The 740i Sport handles better and performs better than anyone who has never driven one could believe. It is considerably larger and heavier than the 540 and has the same size engine as the 540. Consequently the laws of physics cause the 740 to lag in performance in comparison to the 540. Then again, the 540 is stick, while the 740 is automatic. To sum it up, both the 540 and 740 are sporty and luxurious. However, with the 540, the emphasis is on "sport" while the 740i emphasis is on "luxury". For every day driving I still prefer the 540.

Before anyone gets upset and accuses me of trying to start a flame, these are just my opinion based on my ownership of the 3 cars. It was never my intention to buy a BMW; I was hooked on the syling of the LS. However I was more than a little disappointed in the lack of power compared to is competition. I still think the LS is a great looking car and has the potential to be a great performer. It is definitely a great value. (someone posted above that if you spend the extra money on a bmw you get the extra money back at the end; that is plain wrong. The depreciation on a BMW is like a rock in the first 2 years, the 540 drops about $6k in value per year and the 740 about $15k per year). That alone is good enough reason to justify an LS!

I am looking forward to the day when the LS can compete more directly with the competition in terms of "fun to drive". If and when Ford/Linclon get the power/torque delivery in the ballpark I will be the first person to buy another LS.
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    tguerino, I appreciate your comments, especially as they are based on actual experience. And I'm sorry to hear your LS was one of the rare lemons. But there's an 800 lb. gorilla sitting in the midst of your logic that I can't ignore: price. You're happier with the performance of a BMW that sold new for somewhere in the low to mid $50ks than you were with a Lincoln that cost roughly $20k less. Well, sure.

When you say "lack of power compared to it's competition", which cars do you have in mind? "Competition" implies cars of similar size and features, and in the same price range. How does the LS6 stack up against a similarly priced, bottom-line 5 Series?

I don't take offense at your post at all, and don't want an argument any more than you do. Just filling in a couple points. And do keep watching Lincoln; the bang for the buck is going to get louder.:)

Scott
    LLSOC Charter Member
  • Options
    swaugerswauger Member Posts: 91
    Man, I can't believe the acrimony over the first 740 vs LS post. I thought force98 was quite reasonable, he was very favorable about the LS, and let's admit it, comparing the LS favorably to a 7 series is pretty high praise for the LS, especially considering the price delta. And if his wife wants the BMW status, well, who are we to complain as long as he's not badmouthing the LS? People have different things that float their boat and make them happy. The facts about size and interior volume seem straight forward, but they sure can be misleading. When I went shopping for cars, I tested an Acura and a VW Passat that had almost identical headroom figures, maybe 3/4 of an inch difference, according to the specs. The Acura I had to drive with my head sideways, the Passat had a cavernous amount of headroom, way more than the specs would suggest. I view the published measurements with a large salt lick now. Perhaps the 740 was enough different to accomodate him better.

Another excellent post by tguerino regarding the cars. Again, the only thing he mentioned, which we are all aware of, was the power of the V6, which we know is a bit low, and no manual yet in the V8. That plus unfortunately he apparently got one of the few lemons out there, sad to say, I sympathize. The only lemon I had was a first year Rabbit GTI (total POS), my LS is about perfect. It was good to read a post from someone who has owned all three, and seems to have no axe to grind, good info.

Oh, on LS sightings, I don't know if it's the typical Florida "land of the newly wed and nearly dead" syndrome, or what, but everytime I go out on the road for errands or work, I see at least one other LS, as many as 8+, and an average of about 4-5. They are very popular here, but most people do not seem to be enthusiast types. But at least Lincoln is selling a boatload of them in Florida! Yesterday I was running errands, saw the other one in my neighborhood, one at the drug store, on at the mall, and another 4 on the road.

JS
    LLSOC Charter Member
  • Options
    mln4325mln4325 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I may be opening myself up to a lot of email here, but just want to ask for any experiences on Lincoln LS maintenance. I just bought a 2000 w/the sport package (V8, etc.) with 80,000 miles on it. I swear the car looks and drives like new and I got a great deal. Carfax history was clean. Engine oil is staying very clean. Car appears to have been exceptionally well-maintained.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as any peculiarities to look for, based on personal experience with any parts failing? As I say, the maintenance on the car appears to be all up-to-date, but I am just looking for any suggestions.

My family and I love the car. It has Pirelli Pzero tires on the 17" wheels and just drives like a dream.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    swaugerswauger Member Posts: 91
    Well, you'd open yourself up to a lot ore e-mails if your e-mail address was in your profile. ;-)

To answer your question, I have an almost 2 year old 2000 V8 Sport, though I have a lot fewer miles on it (about 20K, I need to get out more ). I know Brian, the LLSOC kahuna, has about 80K miles on his, and he's had no tranny or engine problems. The general opinion is that the engine is very solid, as is the transmission, outside a few lemons early.

What I've had to have done to my LS is as follows. Your experiences may vary, there were some lemons early on, but most seem to be pretty trouble free.

I've had:

One fogged headlamp replaced (common)
    Recall for ball joint torque (was OK)
    Hydraulic cooling fan failure after one week of ownership, fixed, never happened again
    Transmission reflash (common, fixed problem well, tranny is great now)
    Problem with radio and steering wheel controls (fairly common early problem, fixed with no further problems)

That's it for me. Another common problem with early build cars is crashing of the rear windows due to a bad design. There is a TSB for repairing them with new parts which solves the problem. I've never had the problem, but some have.

So far my car has been remarkably trouble free, the only thing that required me to have it in the shop other than at the routine maintenance times (oil changes) was the fan, which obviously made the car undrivable, especially in Florida heat. Everything else could wait until I had it in for an oil change. So far it's been one of the most reliable cars I've owned, knock on wood (or wud).

If you join the LLSOC club, you can get access to all the TSBs and recalls (few recalls) and the users forums, which are a better place than here to ask this question, and looking over the old posts will give you a good idea of what can and has gone wrong and the fixes on some cars. A few cars have had a droning and vibration from the rear but I've never had any problems, mine is smooth as silk and quiet as a tomb.

Good luck with it, I hope you really enjoy the car.

JS
    LLSOC Charter Member
  • Options
    kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    a 400HP 2004 LS take a back seat to the BMW vs. LS Question!
    Actually, I never considered a 540 over the LS. I was happier getting the LS and a Jeep Wrangler as a 2nd car. The LS is my daily driver and the Wrangler 999 TJ) is my weekend toy. Together they are cheaper than a 540!! Now that I can afford to get more car, and the fact that my lease has a year to run, I am starting my planning now. I will look at the Mclaren LS, the G35, and several others, all the while knowing that I am comparing some apples and some oranges. Truth be told if money was no object I would get 2 cars: Porsche GT2, and an M5. So there I suppose I have blasphemed! All kidding aside I love the LS, it's exclusivity, it's handling, looks, etc. I want more grunt and feel more comfortable with Lincoln providing that grunt.. I guess I could just get an S type R...

So there... Anyone know anything they can share about the 2004?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Tguerino,
    Thanks for you post we do appreciate you insight. I like you am interested in all of the three vehicles above. I am glad you could give your perspective. I would have to agree with all of your comments including the not finding a v-6 Manual to test drive. I opted for the V8.

I like the fact that it is American, a Lincoln, and a great value. However, I can't wait until the LS and Lincoln are on the same playing Level as the BMW. Unfortunately they are not there yet (we do give a little up for that "value"), but Lincoln I hope will step up to the plate soon. We hope the 2003 will answer the 1st generation issues and 2004 HP LS to compete not just be able to stay up with the BMW's of the world.

Thanks for giving the LS a shot...

Best Regards,
    Airwolf
  • Options
    lsv8lsv8 Member Posts: 26
    "Ford also is preparing several new features and several special limited editions, including a special James Bond version of the Ford Thunderbird."

"Buyers, for example, will be able to order the 2003 Lincoln LS with an elaborate new sound system built by THX Ltd., the company founded by filmmaker George Lucas to help theaters get the sound track for Star Wars just right. The optional system will feature 10 speakers, four 50-watt amplifiers to power the door speakers and two 32-watt subwoofer amplifiers for high output."
  • Options
    Kelleyo: There have been some rumors of the 2004 LS being available with a DOHC 5.0L mod motor normally aspirated with about 400 HP and a 6 speed manual. Ford has already shown off this engine in the FR-500 Mustang.

Since then I've heard that Ford has been having problems with the special process on the blocks needed to create a larger bore on the mod motor, so the 5.0L mod motor may be off or delayed. The rumor of a 2004 T-Bird with the Jag S-type R 4.2L 388 HP supercharged engine may also indicate problems getting the 5.0L out.

It should be also pointed out that a year or more ago there was talk about a supercharged version of the 3.9L V-8 in the LS, first for 2002 then for 2003. The 2002 MY has come and is almost gont and talk about the supercharged 3.9L has died down, except for the McLaren LS.

So with any future product from any manufacturer, everything is subject to change. If you want 350 HP in a LS ASAP then the McLaren will be the way to go.
  • Options
    chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to put the BMW 540i through its paces along with a slew of other cars at the Cadillac World Challenge.
    The 540 was it - hands down in every feature from acceleration to braking and handling. This was up against cars costing much more but in a different category such as the big Mercs and Lexus, Caddy etc.
    The LS they had was a V6 sport which I had fun with because I know the car. Power especially in a parking lot slalom course was way down on the LS compared to most of the competition. Of course we all know the V6 takes many miles to loosen up.
    The 540 was king for the day but I wouldn't trade my LS for it for the 20K difference.
    I'm at 40,000 smiling miles and enjoying it more each day.
    Ray Chartrand
    LLSOC charter member
  • Options
    Ray Chartrand,
    On Friday the LLSOC DFW Chapter meeting will get together in the evening and probably go on a small ride and go out for dinner and a few beverages. Thought I would let you and other interested LS Owners know. Are you interested? Would be good to see you, it has been a while.

Regards,
    Airwolf1000
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Congratulations on your purchase and glad to hear you're enjoying it. Your car is definitely clear of the "lemon" stage at 80k miles.:) It might be smart to have the transmission thoroughly serviced. Ford and LM dealers have an excellent process that cleans out everything and replaces all the fluid, including the torque converter. My dealer charges about $115 for the process, and both they and our club's resident Transmission Expert recommends this service at 30k mile intervals. You might also have the cooling system flushed. I mention these two items because they're important for longevity, and my policy with any used car is to assume the worst and bring the maintenance up to date right away.

Otherwise, relax and enjoy the car. Our experience here and at LLSOC is that the LS has been remarkably trouble free. My car is the same year & model as yours, purchased new 21 months ago, now has 53k miles and has had one (infamous) rear window regulator and one light bulb fail. It's as good as the day I brought it home.

The best "accessory" you can get for your car is (shameless plug here) membership into LLSOC. Six month free trial to new purchasers of the LS (new or used). www.llsoc.com Questions answered, experiences shared, mysteries revealed. We'll even show you some exercises so your facial muscles won't get tired from grinning like an idiot as you drive your car on twisty roads.:)

End of commercial message.:) Enjoy it.
  • Options
    chwolfmanchwolfman Member Posts: 7
    I love my 2002 LS v6 but I had my first bad experience this weekend. I live in NC and the AC went out. I did not realize the you can't run vents in this car, I had to turn off the climate control and drive with the windows down. It was 97 and humid.

I got overheated again today with my very sorry dealer- Michael Jordan's Lincoln dealership in Durham NC. I dropped the car last night and called first thing this am. They said they were working on it and would call back. Around noon I called to see if it would be ready today or not; the rep told me the car was "ready." After traveling 20 minutes to the dealership I was informed that the car was "ready" but they had to order a part for the AC (high pressure switch). It was 97, sunny and 98% humidity today. I couln't believe a "luxury" car dealership would consider a 6 month old car with 8K miles "ready" to drive without air conditioning. Needless to say, I left the car their with their assurance it will be "fixed" (I guess that is different from "ready") by tomorrow. I can't wait to get the customer satisfaction survey for this visit. I hope this is an isolated event because my wife is already saying I should have bought the BMW 5 series instead.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your A/C failure. I can't remember hearing anyone else with this type of problem. The dealer should have given you a loaner until yours could be fixed. Try talking to the service mgr or owner if necessary. If you don't get satisfaction, try another dealer. You can get warranty work done at any Lincoln dealer. Unfortunately the Lincoln dealers seem to run the gamut from excellent to terrible. The good news is that your 2002 has been almost bulletproof with very few problems reported other than yours. So hopefully you won't need to take it back anytime soon. Good luck and remind your wife how much you saved by getting the LS over the 5 series.