Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    wensalwensal Member Posts: 2
    I also have an '05 Ody EX-L with the gray interior. Honda only carries the black color of the tray, as does the honda accessory website. I am personally waiting on WeatherTech to make a cargo tray that is gray in color...coming Jan 05. The cargo trays work with the 3rd row down. I don't know about the cargo mats as it is seldom that I fold the 3rd row down. Give me a buzz if you find a good solution.
  • Options
    wensalwensal Member Posts: 2
    The dealer should have activated the XM on your vehicle and you get a trial period for 3 months. Thereafter you will get a call from XM asking for activation (I think you can bypass the activation fee if you activate your regular membership before the 3 months expires. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    pkapka Member Posts: 56
    I just "installed" the cover by myself in the ody Ex-L ....it is great!!!! I love it ...and the satisfaction, despite a few cuts and needle pricks, of doing it myself was wonderful. Now does anybody where I can get the leather cover for the shifter knob? H and A do not sell it alone or as a pckage---go figure!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
  • Options
    luellen6luellen6 Member Posts: 4
    We got the Touring and now need the 8th seat. The Dealer and Ohio plant both say the 8th seat is not available to purchase and won't be for a while. Have you found somewhere to buy one?
  • Options
    luellen6luellen6 Member Posts: 4
    We are also searching for a way to buy an aftermarket 8th seat for the Touring model. So far we have had no luck. The Dealer and the Ohio Plant both say the parts are not available yet and it may be a while. They did however suggest a list of certified shops where they refer people who need to make handicap modifications. They can install the seat belt. Finding the seat it the problem. We need Beige leather.
  • Options
    tedreyestedreyes Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had experience installing the factory Honda backup sensors on any Honda? Just wondering how difficult this effort would be. If anyone has had them installed by the dealer, can you give me the price you paid for partt & installation? Thanks.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    With time, you may be able to get a used one at a wrecker.

It may be too early now to get one from a totally wrecked 05 Ody - but you never know.
  • Options
    johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Check out:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/odyssey/05_electronics.htm for accessories.

I was looking for the wood dash kit and the above site has lots of additional accessories.
  • Options
    johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Check out:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/odyssey/05_electronics.htm

It shows "how to". It is nothing I would tackle.
  • Options
    emaneman Member Posts: 85
    JUst had the hitch installed this week but have been waiting since early November.

The book said 3 hrs instalation but it took over 6 hrs.

I am annoyed that only after buying the van and was able to read the manual - the fine print says any trailer over 1850lbs. requires a weight distributing hitch. Gimme a break HOnda. either it tows 3500 lbs. like you advertise or it doesn't!!! The hitch costs another $350+.

Another dissapointment.
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "With time, you may be able to get a used one at a wrecker.

It may be too early now to get one from a totally wrecked 05 Ody - but you never know."

Sheesh. That's depressing!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    remember, the Touring doesn't have the 8th seatbelt to go with the +1 seat.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    But it is the reality of life that we face.

It is quite likely that nationwide that there is one or more totalled 05 Touring that will present an opportunity. Oppotunities are all around us if we look hard/long enough.
  • Options
    etoilebetoileb Member Posts: 34
    Back up sensors.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the PDF. Like you I was overwhelmed by the complexity of the project. Had nightmares of all these parts sitting on the garage floor with Odyssey in pieces.

It did raise a question in my mind. Does the aftermarket kit display the type of infomation (distance and location of object) on the Instrument Panel (Multi-Information Display) that the Video on Honda's website refers to on the Touring - or does it simply beeb as with other aftermarket products?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    pwl1pwl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a factory tow package on my 1999 odyssey. I have a right turn signal failure in the trailer light plug. Every thing else works OK. My problem is finding out just where the trailer lights connect on the Car. I cant find a wiring diagram either. The right turn signal works fine on the car but is inop at the hitch plug. Bummer. Any one with info as to where on the car the factory wiring connects to the main tail light wires harness would be helpful

Thanks PWL
  • Options
    pwl1pwl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a factory tow package on my 1999 odyssey. I have a right turn signal failure in the trailer light plug. Every thing else works OK. My problem is finding out just where the trailer lights connect on the Car. I cant find a wiring diagram either. The right turn signal works fine on the car but is inop at the hitch plug. Bummer. Any one with info as to where on the car the factory wiring connects to the main tail light wires harness would be helpful

Thanks PWL
  • Options
    dominatordominator Member Posts: 14
    Is there any update info on this? I also just bought the Odyssey EXL w/ 6 disc player and looking for an input to the AUX port for ipod and laptop. Thanks!
  • Options
    touring-4touring-4 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please tell me if we're getting scammed? We got the all weather mats for our new Odyssey (2 days ago) and there were none for 3rd row. Dealer supposedly called Honda Canada and said that they don't come for 3rd row?!

On plus side they were thrown in by dealer but still....
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Dealer's right: no mat for the 3rd row. You can get aftermarket mat for it.
  • Options
    s2000fevers2000fever Member Posts: 37
    I was originally going to buy the black Honda mats my wife didn't like them. Even with the darker olive interior, I was afraid the carpets would get trashed. I purchased a complete set of Exact Mats. These are clear vinyl and rest on top of the carpeted mats. This makes it a little more difficult to get into the lazy susan but I don't access this often anyway. They fit the contours of the Ody perfectly. The complete set includes the front, middle, and back rows, a piece where the the 8th passenger seat goes (or console should you remove them), a piece to go between the front seats, and a piece to fit in the well that the back row folds down into. I contacted Exact Mats via their web site and they referred me to some local dealers. The dealer wanted $125 but gave me 10% off. My impression was that I would have received a larger discount if I had purchased my vehicle from them. I believe that you can order individual pieces so you can probably just order the piece(s) you need should you so desire.
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    my '02 Odessey has experienced the same problem with the right turn signal on the trailer I pull.

I've taken the light assembly on the trailer apart (needlessly) and have not been able to figure out where the problem lies.

-didn't think to suspect the wire harness.
  • Options
    I contacted P.I.E and they said the PIE HON03/PC-SON should works with the Odyssey 2005. Has anyone install this? Is it DIY or do I need professional installer? Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    s2000fevers2000fever Member Posts: 37
    Dominator - I will assume that you have an NON-navigation model or a NON-DVD model. On the NAV model, there are aux inputs in the 2nd row so all you have to do is go to Radio Shack and buy a +- $7.00 cable. If you need this PIE interface, it looks to be a plug and play item. However, you may need to remove the radio to install. Have you considered one of the wireless iPod device interfaces? I'm not sure of any potential line loss with these devices but if you are just going to use for the iPod, this may be a less costly and less invasive procedure. Good Luck!
  • Options
    touring-4touring-4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I had called Honda Canada myself and they confirmed it. Told them they should say so on their web site!
  • Options
    Yes, I have a EXL w/o RES nor NAV. I was hoping to use the AUX port for iPod, laptop for DVD viewing and possible Video game. I can use a small portable TV or monitor as a screen. So the main purpose is to use the van speakers for all audio.

I have very bad luck with the wireless/FM and hope to have something that sound better.
  • Options
    You can buy the full width matching color mats at your nearby "Crappy Tire" store.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    One of the sponsors of this forum, Handa, has this pdf on their site for the '02 Hitch Kit. I would imgine that the wiring harness and trailer interface would probably be identical to your '99.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/odytrailerhitch.pdf

The interface (buffer) module is in the rear compartment near where the jack is stored.

Steve
  • Options
    njhondanjhonda Member Posts: 8
    I purchased EXL last week and ordered XM radio. My Honda dealer outsources the installation. Price is $800.
  • Options
    Hi All,

I got a quote of $1,400 for a Rosen A10 10" DVD drop-down system install, is this a good deal? Please comments anything about the deal and/or the DVD system. Thanks!
  • Options
    I don't like the Rosen systems at all. I think they're ugly, overpriced and don't have high-quality screens. I just had a 9" Sony all-in-one overhead system installed for $900. Similar Panasonic system costs even less. The screen on Rosen does not swivel at all, whereas Sony screen can swivel 360 degrees.

The only thing that goes for Rosen, in my opinion, is warranty.
  • Options
    pazhampazham Member Posts: 4
    Does the 2005 Honda Odyssey DVD player play mp3 CDs. I am getting an err message at console. What options do I have?
  • Options
    You have an option of calling the dealer and asking them. It would've taken you less time than posting your message.
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "Does the 2005 Honda Odyssey DVD player play mp3 CDs. I am getting an err message at console. What options do I have?"

In the 2005 Ody accessories catalog, you can buy an mp3 player for the van. It isn't cheap. I assume that means if you don't get that option, you cannot play mp3 CDs on the "standard" CD and DVD players. I asked about it and the mp3 player is just that ... it will PLAY an mp3 CD but does not store the songs as an mp3 player would. Which seems dumb to me. How easy would it be to create an in-dash mp3 player, where you can store thousands of your own tunes just like you do on an iPOD? That would be a popular option, I bet.
  • Options
    e28m5e28m5 Member Posts: 13
    Anyone installed an aftermarket hitch on an 05? I just want to use it for a bike rack, no towing, so I don't want the towing package. Does it require drilling/modifications to install? I put one (a D'Lan) on my VW Eurovan and it was an easy bolt-on.
  • Options
    siva1siva1 Member Posts: 6
    Would there be any problem with the Honda Warranty if aftermarket DVD system is installed for my 2005 Honda Odyssey EX?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Would there be any problem with the Honda Warranty if aftermarket DVD system is installed for my 2005 Honda Odyssey EX?

Only if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket equipment or installation causes the failure. For example, a powertrain related issue could not be caused by an aftermarket DVD player. But if the radio failed and the aftermarket DVD was wired into the sound system and the dealer showed it caused the failure, then they won't cover it.
  • Options
    odygalodygal Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone bought and installed the 2005 Odyssey moonroof visor by themselves? The installation instructions link on www.collegehillshonda.com wasn't active so I wasn't able to see whether or not it was complicated. I can order one for $90 + shipping and have my husband install it, or have it be a dealer-installed option on our soon-to-be Odyssey for $170. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    odygalodygal Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, my previous post had a web link in it! It will probably get deleted, so this is a "do-over"...

Has anyone bought and installed the 2005 Odyssey moonroof visor by themselves? The installation instructions link on the College Hills Honda web site wasn't active so I wasn't able to see whether or not it was complicated. I can order one for $90 + shipping and have my husband install it, or have it be a dealer-installed option on our soon-to-be Odyssey for $170. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    if you are minimally handy and in shape, installing an aftermarket hitch is the way to go.

there's no drilling, just a little on your back finnagling it in there - takes about an hour.

go for the 2" hitch - they cost the same as the 1" and provide more beef where it's needed.

I've got one made by 'Draw Tight'.
    you're on the right track hauling bike off a rear hitch - MUCH easier than putting bike up on top and less wind drag too.
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    Any ham operators out there installed any APRS equip in their Ody? Does the nav unit have any sort of NMEA output either known or hidden? I'd like to hook up a "tiny tracker" to it and run APRS.
    I would also like to see some photos or hear comments about installs, esp the best place to route wires thru the fire wall.
    Thanks, Sly n5gqb EM10
  • Options
    dmz616dmz616 Member Posts: 17
    my son in Little Rock just got a 05 Ody LX, and is going to put the Honda rack/crossbars on it. What is the best value in cargo carriers? The ones on Yakmai and Thule looked good but expensive. Recommendations?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I'd go for the Yakima or the Thule. The nice thing about those is that he can transfer either to a new vehicle just by buying new clips. The Honda rack would go with the van.

If money is a concern, I don't think he'll save much by going with the OEM rack.

He can search e-bay or the local trader mags for used setups and just buy the correct clips for the Odyssey.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    I'm about to order an EX-L and intend to pull a light utility trailer on rare occasions w/it (typically w/just my mid-sized motorcycle on it). Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of whether or not the transmission and steering coolers are REALLY required for pulling a load well below the 3500 lb max trailer rating for the vehicle ?
  • Options
    dmz,
    If it's value you're after, then go with the soft pack cargo carrier - got mine at Target for $35.00. It will sit perfectly in between the crossbars, hold more than the Thule/Yakima hard pack and when it's not in use will pack away much easier.

It's also more aero dynamic since it sits lower. They come with the tie down straps and will keep the rain out as well.

There's really NO contest here.
  • Options
    glutz1,

I have the 2002 Ody and tow a 1400 lbs trailer without the tranny cooler. My service rep at Honda said the car doesn't require a cooler for this load.

I might add that the Oddy pulls like there's nothing there - it's a great engine
  • Options
    tommietommie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 05' EX-L with RES (Rear Entertainment System) and am loving it. One huge omission Honda made to the RES package is not including the 115V outlet in the 3rd row. They do include AUX inputs for video/audio, and there is a cover where the 115V outlet goes in the Touring model. So...has anyone looked into adding the 115V outlet? I'm wondering if the wiring is already there behind the console. The dealer was clueless and it's not an optional add-on.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    I spoke to the Honda factory rep and he said on the 05 Odyssey the A/T cooler and P/S cooler are required or the warranty is void. He gave me a 30 min. explanation about selling the car and not knowing what the new owner will tow. He also said that a dealer alert will be issued soon to check and see if a hitch has been installed, if so, the service dept will need to have the customer add the coolers or to alert honda and the owners will be sent a letter that their warranty is now void.

We talked about aftermarket coolers and as long as they do not restrict the air flow to the rest of the radiator they are fine. I found a web site with the entire towing package installation instructions
    http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf Time consuming but do able. Both front and rear bumpers have to be removed.

If anyone has a link to an after market trailer wiring harness for the 05 let me know as it is very different from the previous Odyssey's.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I think that he was giving you a line. If Honda tries to void the warranty just because a hitch was installed, without any evidence of improper towing, they will have lawsuits coming out the wing wang.

I'll have to check the manual to see what it says, but I know it wasn't that definitive, and the warranty information they supplied is what they will be held to.

I plan to add a hitch, purely for a bike rack, and don't plan to pend the $700+ for the coolers. If the van was that maxed out, they should have made the coolers standard.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    vanhelpvanhelp Member Posts: 14
    I just spoke with our local Honda Service Center, and asked about getting a hitch installed and about the warranty issue. He said that if we installed a hitch without the cooling systems, it would not void our warranty. BUT if at some point we had a transmission problem, AND they could show that the problem was due to us towing without a cooler, then the warranty might be voided for that particular problem.

The Honda Service Center wants to charge us more than $1200 to install the hitch with both cooling systems; our local U-Haul will charge $311 to install the hitch (w/o ball - we have one) with a transmission cooling system!! U-Haul says that they don't really see the need for a power steering cooler, and they don't do them.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    I bought a hidden hitch and the Honda factory wiring harness online. Paid about $275.00 with shipping. The harness was easy but time consuming and took about 3 hours to install because the rear bumper had to be removed. The hitch took about 15 min and was a snap. Since I am only towing 800 lbs I decided not to install the coolers.

Did U-haul have the wiring harness? They thought they did here but it was for the '04 and very different. They wanted 300.00 for and to install the '05 factory honda harness. The hitch they use sticks out further than the hidden hitch as well.
This discussion has been closed.