Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Poor availability of 2.5L is the only thing holding back sales of X-types. 3.0's are selling, but at least I have a few in stock. 2.5's just are not out there and won't be untill January.
  • Options
    sargonivsargoniv Member Posts: 23
    No problems with my X-Type in this area with 5K+ miles.

The engine control system in the X-Type is a top of the line Japanese (Denso) 32-bit system -- same company used by all the leading Japanese cars so this type of problem should be very rare and unacceptable. You should push for resolution through any path possible.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    They overproduced the 3.0s IMO, 2.5s are damn near impossible to find.

I've had one used one in. It lasted.. sheesh.. 2 days I think?

Bill
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I was looking at a 3.0 X-Type with X-1,X-3, Nav, and Xenon and was quoted $43,260. IMHO, this is an absurd price and I immediately rejected it. There are several other superior offerings out there at this price level. For example, with just another $2500-3000 more one can step up to an S-Type. As long as X's keep this pricing I believe many people will do as I did and quickly cross it off the short list. (I'm personally awaiting the "new and improved" S-Type rumored to be out 1st Quarter '02).
  • Options
    hinkdoghinkdog Member Posts: 10
    Can someone please tell me if the X-Type comes with a full size spare and matching wheel?, thank you.
  • Options
    mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    All X-types come with full size spare, very important on an AWD vehicle. However only Sport models come with a matching alloy rim.

The X-type is actually priced exactly in line with the competition. If you don't want to pay $43,000 get a 2.5 and forgo some options. A 3-series BMW 2 wheel drive equally equipped comes in at basically exactly the same price as the jag. If you want the xi(AWD) you will pay $2,000 more for the beemer. A c-class is even more expensive with the same equipment and you can't get AWD at any price.
  • Options
    Compared to the competition it is competitively priced.

Also, its prettier! And a $2,500 higher S-Type wont have the same options. Load an S-Type 3.0 up and youre closer to $50K I think.

Bill
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    What would a base 4.0 S run? A base 3.0 X? (Just curious. Usually the only options I care about are bigger engines. CD players, headed lumbar seats, self-adjusting mirrors, ect, are just extra fluff to me.)
  • Options
    I stated that the X-Type is overpriced, but considering the above posts to the contrary I looked at Edmund's X-Type compare vehicles to see what they consider the competition to be, then I did a cost analysis attempting to match the 3.0 X-Type with x1, x3, nav and xenon. Results:
    ..........................Invoice.....MSRP
    Jag X-Type . . .38,985 . . .43,260
    BMW 300xi . . . 37,965 . . .42,260
    Audi A4 . . . . . . 35,292 . . .38,574
    Lexus ES300 . 31,230 . . .34,819
    Volvo S60 . . . .33,745 . . .35,565
    Lincoln LS . . . 33,646 . . .34,270

While I could not make an exact match with each vehicle this is very close (the Lincoln & Lexus do not offer AWD). Only the X-Type seems to limit the passenger seat to 4-way power! Plus the others offer some things the X doesn't, (ie telescoping steering wheel, power lumbar support, etc.). So while each of us must determine what is a priority for himself I stand by my original statement that the X-Type is overpriced considering there are several competitors out there which offer more for less, even the top 3 series BMW! Sorry, but I didn't have the time to make a full spreadsheet showing standard and optional equipment to permit a real apples-to-apples comparison.
  • Options
    jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    passenger seat with x1 is 8 way power. steering wheel is telescoping. power lumbar is included. if you're looking for things not included, you're basically limited to memory seats and dual-zone climate control. not sure where you're getting your info from. you also forgot pricing on a comparably equipped c320 - $45,084.20. the bmw is actually $43,610 (not including automatic, an additional $1275). the bmw and the mb were the x-type targets, not the ls, es or the s60.

all my numbers come directly from the bmw and mb websites, in the build yourown section.

it seems you need to do a little more analysis. make sure you cover all the options that are included in the jag packages. the x-type in comparable form is cheaper than both the bmw and the mercedes.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Problem was caused by Ford/Jag hyping the low under $30,000 price. But try to find one. They get you excited that you might be able to afford a brand new one but when you go to the dealer all you see are loaded 3.0s with $44,000 stickers! You didn't count on $14,000 or more in options.

Now I see the print ads are pointing out that a nicely equipped X-type is around $35,000 and that the one in the picture costs a lot more than $30,000. Guess they realize people's expectations crashed into reality really quickly?
  • Options
    Jonty - I took all my pricing information from Edmund's listings, if they are inaccurate so be it, I wanted to maintain some uniformity. As for the cars I listed as competitors, they are the exact ones listed on Edmund's X-Type page when you click on the "Compare with Other Vehicles" tab. Sorry if you disagree with their selection, but I assure you that when I was looking for a new ride I did look at the Volvo S60 and the Lincoln LS (BTW I bought the V6 Manual LS) so they are the competition whether Jag intended them to be or not. Since I have tomorrow off I may just make that full spreadsheet comparison, it would be entertaining and enlightening. Regardless, we all purchase the car we believe offers as close to our own definition of perfection as we can find. And many things are way too subjective to quantify. If you are happy with whatever you have GREAT. I chose differently because I (still) think the X is overpriced.

My wife still wants an X-Type but if the new S-Type is all its purported to be we may get it instead.
  • Options
    ...but jaguar cannot account for every car that a consumer might compare to and then undercut the price. if the car cost less than the volvo or the ls, it simply would not have the same quality or customer pool that jaguar is looking for. they built a car to compete with the bmw 3 series and mercedes benz c-class in both performance and quality. that was the intent. based on most independent reviews of the vehicle, they succeeded. it logically flows that the price should be the same as, or very close to, those two models.

as for the s-type being close in price, a similarly equipped s-type is not close in price. it costs far more ($49,500+ for a 3.0 with similar options). to go back to the competition, a well loaded bmw 330 costs very close to a stripped 525. besides, there are many of us who do not want an s-type. the styling does not appeal to us, and we don't want a car that size. that's why there are various classes for cars. these are not necessarily based on affordability, they are based on intended use and size of the vehicle. if jaguar had not built a car the size of the x-type, regardless of price, i would not be considering a jaguar. period.

jaguar's pricing is not unusual in the market, and it's not high. i realize you say this is subjective, but in reality it isn't. when you compare build material, technology, and performance, the x-type compares to the 3-series and c-class. it should then, both logically and practically, compare in price as well.

by the way, i don't own an x-type, i just find it frustrating when i see comparisons of apples to oranges, and a double standard applied to bmw/mb vs jaguar.
  • Options
    socalheatsocalheat Member Posts: 4
    Jonty, you've done your homework...Sorry Keyrow, I am an owner of the Mercedes C320 and bought my daughter a BMW 330i...They both are well eguipped and comprobable to the X-type 3.0 with the X-1 package and the 6 player cd...They both ran over $40,000, the Benz was closer to $45,000. I am going to purchase the X-Type 3.0 for my wife next month and was given a quote with the above options for $36,108...The target market that the X-type is after is the BMW 3-series and the C-class Mercedes...If you want to pay less for a bland boring ride then buy a Lincoln LS, Volvo S60, or the Lexus ES300...Happy motoring
  • Options
    The I30/I35, ES300, Millenia, TL, S60..etc.. those will all be cheaper. But they were never intended as direct targets for the X-type.

Heck, an accord is cheaper too! :)
    Point is, the car was designed with the following cars as direct targets:

BMW 3-series
    Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    Alfa Romeo 156 (Tragically, not sold in America)
    Audi A4 2.8 (to a degree)

And an AWD BMW, comparably equipped, is more expensive.

Bill
  • Options
    I don't recall making any assessment about the pricing policies of either BMW or MB so exactly what are you referring to? As a side note I think BMW 3 series are also $3-5K above what they ought to be which is why I do not own one, but since there are those willing to pay the piper . . .

I chose the Lincoln LS over the X-Type simply because in my own mind it was a much better VALUE (what you get for what you pay). I am an empty nester so the extra size wasn't a factor. I found the seats to be much more supportive and comfortable than those in the X, and this has been born out by a straight through 16 hour drive from my home in Cincinnati to my parents' home in Tarpon Springs, FL. I got out of the car feeling very refreshed, rather than tired and achy from sitting on my rear end for so long. If you want to talk about technology - I will put the LS's DEW98 platform up against anything Jag(non S-Type)/BMW/MB has on the market. Yes, the LS's interior does have fake wood but that is not a major factor to me, I place more emphasis on performance and comfort. The LS offers a power tilt and telescopic steering wheel, power lumbar, rain sensitive wipers and a 51/49 f/r weight distribution. I regularly take 35MPH exit ramps at 70 and twisty roads are such a delight that I actually seek them out (so much for a bland and boring ride). So far I have had ZERO problems with the LS so quality does not seem to be an issue. After reading the comments on the LS Townhall board winter driving does not seem to present any problems; the TC takes care of things quite nicely so I'm not sure that AWD is that much better. So with the LS's ~$35K price, for me, the X just did not come close!

Just because Jag "built a car to compete with the bmw 3 series and mercedes benz c-class in both performance and quality. that was the intent" does not mean it will be considered ONLY by 3 series BMW and C class MB buyers. I wanted a comfortable performance oriented sedan for around 40K and I think there are many others out there with those same requirements. I'm sorry you think this is an apples to oranges comparison but it IS one that is being made.

Enjoy whatever you drive. I really love mine!
  • Options
    socalheatsocalheat Member Posts: 4
    Have you heard this story of the Hot Rod Race
    When Fords and Lincolns was settin' the pace.
    That story is true, I'm here to say
    I was drivin' that Model A.

It's got a Lincoln motor and it's really souped up.
    That Model A Vitimix makes it look like a pup.
    It's got eight cylinders; uses them all.
    It's got overdrive, just won't stall.

With a 4-barrel carb and a dual exhaust,
    With 4.11 gears you can really get lost.
    It's got safety tubes, but I ain't scared.
    The brakes are good, tires fair.

Pulled out of San Pedro late one night
    The moon and the stars was shinin' bright.
    We was drivin' up Grapevine Hill
    Passing cars like they was standing still.

All of a sudden in a wink of an eye
    A Cadillac sedan passed us by.
    I said, "Boys, that's a mark for me!"
    By then the taillight was all you could see.

Now the fellas was ribbin' me for bein' behind,
    So I thought I'd make the Lincoln unwind.
    Took my foot off the gas and man alive,

I shoved it on down into overdrive.

Wound it up to a hundred-and-ten
    My speedometer said that I hit top end.
    My foot was blue, like lead to the floor.
    That's all there is and there ain't no more.

Now the boys all thought I'd lost my sense
    And telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
    They said, "Slow down! I see spots!
    The lines on the road just look like dots."

Took a corner; sideswiped a truck,
    Crossed my fingers just for luck.
    My fenders was clickin' the guardrail posts.
    The guy beside me was white as a ghost.

Smoke was comin' from out of the back
    When I started to gain on that Cadillac.
    Knew I could catch him, I thought I could pass.
    Don't you know by then we'd be low on gas?

We had flames comin' from out of the side.
    Feel the tension. Man! What a ride!
    I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly!"
    And that Caddy pulled over and let us by.

Now all of a sudden she started to knockin',
    And down in the dips she started to rockin'.
    I looked in my mirror; a red light was blinkin'
    The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln!

They arrested me and they put me in jail.
    And called my pappy to throw my bail.
    And he said, "Son, you're gonna' drive me to drinkin'
    If you don't stop drivin' that Hot... Rod... Lincoln!"

Like I said before
    Happy Motoring...
  • Options
    I did not intend to start a big argu . . . discussion on whether the X-type is or is not overpriced. My initial posting was in response to an article that was posted (#700) saying X-Type sales are not what was expected: "Later the article says part of the problem is that too many of the cars built for the US have the 3.0 engine, which consumers are finding to be too expensive." I simply wanted to say that I, for one, agreed that there is a perception out here that this is so, especially since Jag wanted $6K more for the 3.0 when such a price hike does not appear to be deserved. That is not a new engine requiring lots of R&D to bring it to market. Where did this amount originate? No one seems to know. Many have posted the thought that those of us on the west side of "the pond" are being gouged since this price hike did not exist for UK buyers. My response to Jag's pricing structure was to find another car and the Lincoln fit the bill nearly perfectly. For those of you who find the X pricing justified - enjoy the car, it is a good one. I simply chose another and do not regret doing so.
    Enuf said.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I looked at an x-type when it first came out, and i thought it was a bit more expensive then the corresponding bmw.

I suppose it depends on the options you want, you don't save any money by getting the stick on the 3.0L. Also the jag had more options "packaged." Migth be cheper if you want ALL of them, less attractive if you just want some. For example, i would have had to have no sunroof because of headroom. But that eliminated options i would have wanted.

dave
  • Options
    goolappergoolapper Member Posts: 27
    Toddled over to a nearby Jag Dealer right after the X's hit the showroom. Initial impression of
    the car was positive but was appalled to learn that the "teaser" price was a 2.5 manual tranny.
    Well okay, tack on the 1500 or so for an AT & price still seemed reasonable. And some
    real "pretty" colors...oh what the hey? If you don't want white/black/green the color you
    want is an add'l 650....Hey at like 3 gallons of paint thats over $200 a gallon!!! Absurd! So a
    stripped down model w/AT & a pretty color is now shaping up @ about 32k & change, not as
    appealing nor as reasonable.Besides which no 2.5 AT's available, just 3.0's with the X1 option package. About a month later noticed the dealers ad's had changed from trumpeting the 29950 price to like 30,650 or something, so already a a 2% price increase within a month. Interestingly enough the lease price has dropped locally from 449 to 399 a month locally, though didn't bother to check the fine print for changes in other terms of the lease (ie - dp, etc) So to sum up I liked the car & the way it drove, but think the "introduction" of it to the market was mishandled due to the misleading it took to get it advertised under 30K. If the 2.5 w/AT & color of your choice was priced @ 29950 think they would be selling lots more of them. Am sure many other potential customers like myself, went, looked, liked but felt a bit
    mislead & deceived & wondering what other tricks were up there sleeve...Just MHO.
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    I would be interested in hearing what the nay-sayers think this car should cost? OK, I agree that the spread to the X 3.0 is way too big for not enough extras. But the 2.5? Some co-workers of mine just got new cars: $42K for a Tahoe, $47K for a Deville, $28K for a Windstar. We are expecting an X 2.5 auto with X1, X3 weather pkg, in dash CD, metallic paint: $34375 (before tax & license). What do you think this car should cost?

Mercedes does a teaser price on the C240, and that thing is really stripped, and only makes 168HP. This actually helps them sell the C320, because people perceive the equipment differences as being worth the additional cost.
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    What you see with the X-type pricing is not at all uncommon. If you cross-shop the competition, you'll find that the entry-level Mercedes (C240) and BMW (325 sedan) both come with manual transmissions, and metallic paint is an extra-cost option on both. Metallic is $475 on BMW and $640 on Mercedes, and many of the Mercedes colors require an extra "special order" charge of $1000. (BTW--the Jag paint price is $550, according to Edmunds, not $650.)

Furthermore, leather upholstery is optional on both the BMW and the Merc ($1410 on Mercedes, $1450 on BMW), while it's standard on the Jag. All-wheel drive, standard on the Jag, costs an extra $1750 on the 3-series and isn't available on the C-class.

Going to the larger engine in the BMW (330 sedan) costs an extra $6890, while the C320 is $6400 more than the C240 (that includes a 5-speed auto on the C320.)

One more reference point: While metallic paint does NOT carry an extra charge on the Lexus IS300 manual, the full leather package costs an extra $2105.

It's always a good idea to see what everyone else is doing before you get outraged about something that's common practice in the class of vehicle in which the X-type competes. I'm not trying to make light of your feelings; just wanted to point out that Jaguar is not unique in its method of equipment-packaging.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    It bums me out that people would criticize the Jag for having a manual transmission, since IMHO many drivers who are truly interested in performance prefer it to an automatic. The so-called 30k "stripper" is actually loaded with a lot of good equipment. I applaud Jaguar for making an entry level car that more people can afford. I'm still 15k short, but I can dream about it someday rather than realizing I'll never even get close.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Johnnylinc - Why can't I "get outraged about something that's common practice"? Just because "everybody does it" does not mean we MUST accept it. Would you be as tolerant if all car manufacturers arbitrarily decided to charge $500 for sunvisors? I find your logic flawed. "Everybody does it" is the first thing said in trying to convince others that a shady deed ought to be accepted as normal; just look to any politician for multiple examples.

While metallic paint does cost more to manufacture, the price difference is more like $5 per gallon and no where near the $200/gallon the car manufacturers are charging us for the final product. This is a pure profit maker and it succeeds because many otherwise intelligent people say, "Oh well, I want a decent color and besides, that is what everybody charges." I sure hope McDonalds, Wendys and Burger King do not suddenly decide that since a "regular" size burger costs $1.00 to "upgrade" to a quarter pounder we ought to charge $7.00. How about if all oil refineries suddenly decide to charge $10.00/gallon for premium grade gasoline. If "that's common practice" then we will have to accept it, right? I sure hope you never become Emperor! I don't think we could manage your policies ;)
  • Options
    pellegjopellegjo Member Posts: 18
    i picked up my New X-type friday afternoon. i had to go to Darian CT from Northern nj to get the car. no one else had the color/options i wanted any closer.
    adradic blue, 3.0 automatic. x1, x2, x3, metalic paint, Alpine stereo upgrade.
    i drove about 150 miles over the weekend so far I LOVE This car!!!

i got it under A-plan pricing, i got a 7000 discount off list (including the 2100 dealer cash)
  • Options
    Simple.

Most European manufacturers work this way. Its a uniquely American practice that most everything is standard.

At $29,950, a base X-Type is fine for most people. And Metallic paint (As someone who always seems to have a few cars undergoing restoration) does cost a bit more than $20/gallon extra (High Quality paint is outrageously expensive BTW, which is another way that Jags are actually excellent value, they have a 10-step paint process versus the 6-step that many others use).

Not everyone wants a Sunroof, of 17" Alloys, or Navi, or a crazy stereo.

At $29,950, you get AWD, Leather, Cruise.. You dont get that in a 325i. You dont get that in a base C240 or a Base IS300 Manual.

If you want all that, it is available.

I dont see this being a major problem myself.

As far as the base cars go, I recently had a used one come in. Racing Green Manual 2.5. Total base unit with 4K miles. I advertised it for $27,500 and I had 11 phone calls. I had an offer of $27K even from the first person to look at it and it sold on the spot. They knew it was a base car and commented that it was a lot of car for the $$.

The other one that I had was a Silver 3.0 with X1. that also sold VERY quickly.

Bill
  • Options
    I thoroughly searched the c-class and 3-series message boards for your posts regarding pricing on the bmw and mb, re: charging for metallic paint, everything being extra, misleading pricing, etc. i was shocked to not find any posts. could it be that you're holding jaguar to a different standard than its competition?
  • Options
    Brentwood/Jonty: Thank you for your posts; I don't feel so alone. :)

Keyrow: I never said anything about having to accept Jaguar's pricing practices; I just don't think it's fair to blast Jag as if this was something unique or new. It's not as if they're trying to "sneak" charges into the paperwork after you've made a deal; the vehicle content and option prices are right there on the window sticker.

Furthermore, you don't have to go to a dealership to learn this stuff; you don't even have to leave the Edmunds site. In a (relatively) free-market economy, we all vote with our pocketbooks; if you don't like a manufacturer's products or methods, then by all means buy someone else's. If enough people agree with you, then the products and/or methods will change. In this case, though, don't bother going to a Mercedes or BMW store, because they've used these pricing practices for years.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument; really. I'm just pointing out that this is a common reality in this class of vehicle, and it's up to the consumer to decide whether or not it's acceptable. There are lots of alternatives out there.

BTW--if I were Emperor, I wouldn't be interfering with the pricing and packaging policies of auto manufacturers. I'd spend my time on important things, like dealing harshly with left-lane bandits and red-light runners, and making certain that no one ever, EVER played John Tesh records in the Emperor's presence. :)

JLinc, ducking and running...
  • Options
    If I were Emperor John Tesh (Along with Britney Spears and N Sync) wouldnt be allowed to "sing" anymore!

At the recent NADA Convention John Tesh performed for Ford dealers.

Thank god I dont own a Ford store! :))

Bill
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    No wonder Fords cost so much. I always wondered who bought his recordings. So, does that mean that the next Ford product I buy will come with one of his CD's?
  • Options
    autolover2autolover2 Member Posts: 4
    I am used to more power in my car! I am considering a M3 down the road, but might be willing to wait if the "r" version is on the horizon.
  • Options
    Bill - So what if "Most European manufacturers work this way?" Again, just because everybody is doing it doesn't mean it is the correct way; unfortunately it is reality. And while I consider you an expert on Jaguars from your other postings you missed it on the X-Type's painting process. You claim, "Jags are actually excellent value, they have a 10-step paint process versus the 6-step that many others use." From the X-Type brochure titled X-Type Technical Specifications (roughly page 38, they aren't numbered): "Four coat paint process; initial primer coat followed by wet sanding to optimize surface smoothness for second coat and top coats." So it seems that Jag decided to take the really cheap 4 coat process over the 6-step others use. And they make it sound like this is a big improvement and something not found in the competition.

Jonty12 - As I have previously stated in post #716 "As a side note I think BMW 3 series are also $3-5K above what they ought to be which is why I do not own one." No I haven't posted on either the BMW or MB board; because I wasn't interrested in their prices I wasn't intererested in their cars. NO double standard, I think they are all overpriced. And as I said in #718, "For those of you who find the X pricing justified - enjoy the car, it is a good one."

Johnnylinc - I totally agree with you when you said, "if you don't like a manufacturer's products or methods, then by all means buy someone else's." I did, I bought the Lincoln LS. Great car, very comfortable with excellent handling properties, OUTSTANDING value.

One FINAL time: This entire thread began whhen I replied to a previous post speculating that one reason X-Type sales are not what they were expected to be was pricing. I am not trying to start an argument and will not get into a "my car is better than your car" haggle. And I am certainly not interested in the "everybody does it" explanation. If you like the X and think its price is acceptable then buy it. I would love to have one. Same for the BMW 330xi series and MB C. For me, myself and I ALONE these cars are overpriced and I chose what I consider and equal (actually superior) car at a much better price. I love mine and I sincerely hope you love yours.

Enjoy your rides!

OUT,
    Jim
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Wondering if there really aren't two issues. Jag's pricing practices are pretty much in line with what the Europeans are doing and have been doing. (I concur completely with keyrow that that doesn't make it right, but such is life. Remember back in '99 when BMW introduced the new, less expensive 323i. By time you added basics like cruise control & CD and added some niceties like leather & sunroof, or maybe went automatic, that $26,995 car was over $30,000. And you couldn't find one on a dealer's lot.) Just bugs me to see Jag heavily advertising the base $29,995 price but then you go to a dealer and all he has are fully loaded $44,000 X-types. Seems like a bigger issue is the difficulty in finding and test driving a base car. How can you know if it is for you unless you can actually see, feel, and drive one?

Thinking Cadillac is trying a middle road. The new CTS base for about $29,995 seems like it is more loaded than 3 Series or X-type, but add a couple option packages and the expected average MSRP will likely be around $35,000.
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I was with a friend this weekend and we passed a Jaguar dealer. We decided to stop in. Overall the X-Type is a nice car, but there are some really cheap elements on the inside of the car. Examples:

1. The part of the door where you grab to close it is very hard, cheap plastic.
    2. The plastic surrounding the speedometer/
    tachometer moves when pushed, like it isn't held together well (I noticed the same thing sitting in the S-Type with the rear seat reading lights -- push the light on and the whole ceiling moves).
    3. The plastic glove compartment is hard and cheap also.
    4. The center armrest compartment is tiny and practically useless.

I would have no problem with items like these on a $25,000 car. But this car can cost $45,000. Sitting in a Lexus ES 300 makes you amazed at the difference in interiors.

I, too, think a loaded X-Type is overpriced. Especially some of the individual option prices. But so are all the other competitors like a loaded 330i and C320. So I guess that's the norm.

Despite my disapointment in the car, I still thinks it's good for Jaguar to have a car in this class. It should push all the other makers to keep improving their own cars.
  • Options
    cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I recently rented a Volvo S60 while in Florida. Car was base model (170hp) with premium package (Leather, CD, Moonroof). The car tops out at around $32000.

Believe me, the X-Type's interior is far superior to the Volvo's at about the same price. Plenty of hard plastic in the Volvo and the leather looks quite cheap and grainy. While the Volvo had a moonroof and CD the model did not have a leather wheel. The 2.5 Jag (197hp) with AWD probably stickers about a thousand or so less than the S60. Add a CD and you're about the same price.

The point is that the Jag may not be worth $40000 plus when loaded up but if you can buy one in the low or even mid 30's I think it is very competitive with other car's in this catagory. Yes you can get a plusher car in the ES300 but it looks just like a Camry and hardly provides anything special in performance.

I'll be looking next November and the X has periodically been on and off my list. Right now it's back on though if they come out with that rumored sport wagon by then it may well leap to number one on my list.
  • Options
    samuel70samuel70 Member Posts: 17
    I am curious to know what the opinion is by those who have driven the x type...the real difference between the 2.5 and 3.0...is it really worth the extra $$....I heard around town and on the highway the difference is minor...its on things like acceleration from a stop light and on hill climbing...I respect the opinions..of the people on this site...
  • Options
    I've driven both. I think that the 2.5 is an awfully nice engine. The 3.0 is more powerful for sure, but the smaller engine is.. well "sweeter".

Drive both, but if youre going auto, I'd look at the 3.0

Actually, I just had a used base base base 2.5 Manual in and was driving it for a little while. A Seriously fun car IMO.

Bill
  • Options
    holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    Can you share your resource where you got $7,000 off MSRP? I live in central NJ and I'm willing to drive to CT if I can get similar deal. Thanks!
  • Options
    Doggone it, I did NOT say that "everybody does it". If you'll read my first post, I said that it's "not at all uncommon" and that "Jaguar is not unique" in this type of pricing/packaging. I specifically pointed out that Lexus, for example, does NOT charge extra for metallic paint, and furthermore indicated that some items that are expensive options on BMW and Merc are standard on the Jag.

I WILL reiterate, though, that I don't think it's fair to single out Jaguar for its pricing/packaging without acknowledging that BMW and Mercedes have been using this method (i.e. "common practice") in this class of car for many years.

I also analyzed what was available in this price range, and I, too, bought a Lincoln LS. Mine's an '01 V8 Sport, and yes, it IS an outstanding value, IMHO. There are many fine cars available in this general class/price range, the X-type being one of them, the LS being another. I simply don't see the logic in being "appalled" because Jag charges extra for metallic paint.

Note to Bill Re: Tesh ban (Heck #729). I hear where you're coming from. In JohnnyLincLand, we wouldn't be quite that strict; whatever you choose to do in the privacy of your own sedan would be up to you. If, however, you have a convertible, the rule would be NTWTTD (No Tesh With The Top Down), and that would be rigidly enforced. :)

JLinc, beating it to death and exiting...
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    (Sorry, guys, another happy LS owner just hanging around out of curiosity). The LS interior is the car's weakest point, IMHO. The seats are first-rate, excellent ergonomics, but lots of hard plastic, unworthy of a nearly $40k car. Really put me off at first. Now, 14 months and 35k (s)miles down the road, I don't notice it or don't care. The point is, if you really like the X-type, don't let a little cheap plastic put you off. If you love the way it drives, that's what counts. You'll get over nitpicking the interior a lot easier than you would get over the FWD handling characteristics of Brand L, or whatever.
  • Options
    since my brother works for Jaguar i am eligible for the A-Plan pricing. A-plan pricing is dealer invoice. It is only for ford and Jaguar exectives. the only thing you can get is the 2100.00 in dealer cash on 3.0's with the X1 package. the dealer should be passing this along to you. If not they are making profit above what they would normally make.
  • Options
    holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    Too bad, but thanks for the tip on the $2,100 dealer hold-back.
  • Options
    cieszynskicieszynski Member Posts: 12
    Regarding A Plan on the X Type. My sister works in Dearborn,MI at Ford Hqs. I just got an A Plan # and am considering either an X Type of Lincoln LSE. What is the A Plan site with pricing. I called A Plan Customer Service and was told there is no pricing on A Plan site.... would appreciate knowing what the site is. E-Mail: sizz@earthlink.net.
  • Options
    On a Jag its' invoice less dealer cash.

On Most ford products its' below invoice less holdback.

The A-Plan price is printed right on the invoice... and any dealer messing with the A-Plan numbers gets in huge trouble.

Bill
  • Options
    there is a A-plan web site for employees, it gives all the prices there for all ford/linclon/jag/volvo/madza. its the same site where the ford employee gets you a PIN number.
    i dont want to publicize the site here, since its only for ford employees
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    What, is this the "A-plan" forum?
  • Options
    i thought i read a fix for leaking washer nozzles. mine are driping fluid all over my hood.
    i thought i saw a fix somewhere for this problem, a check valve or somthing
    can anyone help me out?

otherwise everything is great i have 450 miles already. i had all the back windows tinted also
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    wow, they really trashed it. Unreal.
  • Options
    bwmbwm Member Posts: 11
    Over 4,000 miles on my BRG 3.0 Sport X1,X2,X3, Navi, Xenons, Alpine & Wood kit with no problems at all so far.. I still really like driving it and do quite a bit of business travel each day. I'm in Chicago and am eagerly awaiting our first significant snowfall to test out the 4wd. This was a major selling point for me as I need to be able to get around reasonably well in bad weather.
  • Options
    viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    What Edmund described sound like ...Ford Contour problem. The X-type is based on the Mondeo which is the newer version of the old Contour. Maybe there is some relation there. If anyone wants a X-type, wait a couple more months and the price will be much lower.