Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Freelander

Comments

• Options
    ducati2ducati2 Member Posts: 3
    That looks like fun.

We just took delivery of our Freelander HSE last weekend as a replacement for my wife's Saab. Although it is her truck, I can't wait to get that thing muddy :)

For the record, we have no issues with our steptronic tranny. I *think* we may have a bit of a hard shift from 2 to 3, but it is so subtle and non-bothersome that I don't plan to do anything about it unless it gets worse.

And also, this only occurs under the following conditions:
    1) it is in regular D mode (doesn't happen in Sport or steptronic mode)
    2) the throttle is only very lightly pressed; when accelerating normally it doesn't occur, only when you really baby the throttle.

I'm keeping watch, though :)
  • Options
    blueflbluefl Member Posts: 9
    When I bought this back in Dec. I was counting on doing some light towing, especially during the summer months. I was willing to wait for the tow package to become available...summer is now coming!! Anyone hear when the tow package will be available?
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The 3 kit items that make up the towing package are available now. Part numbers are LRK20910, LRK20920, LRK20930. All dealers should have the updated kit directory that lists the Freelander Kit items available.
  • Options
    taylorfamlytaylorfamly Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone heard when the special 4.9% financing offer will end on the SE?
  • Options
    platypus1platypus1 Member Posts: 3
    Love the Freelanders - But I am completely frustrated. At the end of January, my dealer told he had one like I wanted ordered in a shipment scheduled to arrive the first week in April. Over the last two weeks the dealer continued to confirm the port delivery date. Now, I have been told that they have no idea when the car will arrive, it could be the end of April or even the end May, but that they can't even confirm an approximate date. That from what they can tell, it hasn't even been built. Supposedly, a number of the dealer's vehicles have been rescheduled, but they can't get any specifics. I can understand some delays - and maybe I am naive. But I can't imagine that they can't pinpoint even an approximation of when it will arrive. And it seems that they would have figured this out prior to three day before the delivery date. Big question - I am hardpressed for a car and the current two month wait has been long enough. If it is three or so more weeks, I can wait. But what are the chances I wait and again it is delayed? Has any one else experienced this? Or does anyone have any inside scoop on the inventory problems?
  • Options
    platypus1platypus1 Member Posts: 3
    To 4.9% financing. When I was at the dealership discussing the delays - my dealer told me that it was determined month to month and that they are notified each month. Although, it was his impression that it was likely to stick around for April. No guaruantees though.
  • Options
    ducati2ducati2 Member Posts: 3
    My dealer had, at last count, 16 Freelanders. About 4 or 5 S's, 1 HSE, and the rest SE's. Lots of colors to choose from. They didn't mention having any issues getting them, nor are they having any issues selling...

Not sure what's up with your Centre, but I would ask them to get the vehicle from another dealer's stock. Most will do trades to get the Freelander you want; although you will usually get the best deal buying one off the lot (even though you'll sometimes have to buy options you don't want, sometimes they're practially free).
  • Options
    csebasticsebasti Member Posts: 8
    We still like our Freelander, but at 1000 miles, we are beginning to have a few problems. First, the rear light doesn't work (even with a bulb)...second, the driver's power window suddenly stopped functioning (dealer says it'll probably take a day to fix)..and third, we are now experiencing what I would call a moderate "lurch" at times when the automatic shifts from 3rd to 4th gear (or hard shifting in previous posts). Perhaps I am being picky, but after owning Hondas for 10 years, I am not used to quality issues like this. Will update with fixes etc.
  • Options
    I've had Toyota's for the past 12 years, only straying once to get a Saturn that was traded in after two years for a Sienna. While the Freelander has been the only SUV or car to earn my interest, I can't help but worry about reliability compared to Honda and Toyota. It's features are an exact fit for my needs, except for the MPG. I've looked at the Highlander; too boring and I already have a Sienna, neither the RAV4 or CRV have the offroad capability that I'm looking for, and I've driven enough Jeep Cherokees as rentals to know I don't want a Liberty.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this quandary. If anyone could share their decision points that helped them get past this uncertainty, I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    twinstevetwinsteve Member Posts: 7
    2 questions for all you Freelander owners:

1. For any of you that have experienced the blown fuse on the driver's window, what has the dealer said with regard to a long-term fix?

2. Has anyone with the Harmon Kardon stereo replaced the stock head unit? Anything tricky about this?

Thanks, Steve
  • Options
    phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Check out the Suzuki XL7. Disregard the reviews. OWNERS love them. V6, Off road & towing capability,NO recalls, and you can buy BELOW invoice. The reason I didn't buy this SUV is that I do not need the the 7 seats or the off road/towing features so I chose a Honda CR-V for it's car like ride. Good luck. BTW, did you notice how many gripes already from Freelander owners already- on low sales volume and the fact that LR dealers are not discounting?
  • Options
    kevin106kevin106 Member Posts: 13
    I realize your dilemma on choosing from all the different SUV's out there. For me there was only one choice... the Freelander. I too have had reservations about reliability, but I'm willing to take that chance just because it's a great vehicle to drive, has all the amenities (plus some), and something special that none other does. Basically, it's a one-of-a-kind when you dig below the surface. For this, I'm willing to risk some of the quirky stuff. The warrenty is really pretty good. Most of the little bugs will rear their head ovre the first 50,000 miles, hopefully after that, nothing major will happen. As for Phillyguys comments about the gripes posted. Just check other postings on other vehicles. I think this must be an oversight on his part. It is a bit of a mystery why he mentions "disregard the reviews" on the Suzuki XL7, but never mentions the reviews in Automobile magazine about the Freelander. I think the Honda CRV is a good vehicle on road, but you're looking to go off-road, so this doesn't much apply. To really check this vehicle out go to www.freelanderowners.com for all info. and links. Good luck and have fun. I get my new HSE this week!
  • Options
    Thanks to both for the advice. We took a 2 hour test drive this weekend and really just fell in love with the car. We went ahead a reserved an Alveston Red SE which should be delivered Wednesday. Hopefully all will go well. I've been reading all the posts on www.freelanderowners.com and it seems that for every issue, the dealerships have gone above and beyond to make it right. I'm sure most dealers know that once you buy a FL, hopefully a Disco or RR is in your future.
  • Options
    semerrilsemerril Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone come across any good deals out there, or are all dealers holding to the sticker price? I expect to be in the market for an S in the not too distant future, and am wondering if anyone has found dealers willing to move at all. Where I live in southern NH, I've seen exactly 1 FL in the area, so I don't believe they're selling like hot cakes. You would think the centers would like to move a few of them to help spur demand.
  • Options
    blucas1blucas1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a pic, or how the navigation system works? Anyone use it yet?

brandon
  • Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I have seen some posts on here saying that they purchased a Freelander for less than MSRP using the X plan. What is X plan? Is it a Ford employee buying program? I also saw a user that said they bought with X plan because they were in EAA. Does anyone know what EAA is? Thanks
  • Options
    brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    I bought my White Gold SE using the X-Plan. It's a plan where you pay Invoice + 4%. A very good deal. I also happen to be a member of EAA. The only reason I joined was to get the X-Plan. I believe they have changed the requirements for the X-Plan and you have to be a member of EAA a year to use it. If you can get the X-Plan, definitely use it. It saved me $$$.
  • Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    brandmar..I have decided on a different vehicle
  • Options
    ogun7ogun7 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to know what the EAA is and how I can join. I'm willing to wait the year for the discount
  • Options
    brandmarbrandmar Member Posts: 37
    I think it has to do with experimental aviation or something. Web address is EAA.org. I believe the memebership costs $40, but it sure paid for itself.
  • Options
    lradmirerlradmirer Member Posts: 1
    brand new in this field, hi everybody,hope you have as much fun driving Freel....as much as I do!!For the firsst time I think it is enough.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall. Make yourself right at home.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    "Any vehicle with the prestigious Land Rover name has instant snob appeal and impressive off-road abilities. After all, Land Rover came up with the first luxury sport-utility vehicle about three decades ago and everyone from rock stars to members of England's royal family has owned one."

Chicago Sun - Times

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    jafo2001jafo2001 Member Posts: 98
    Most of the Jeep family are a mechanics dream. But you should really give the Liberty a look. Early on there was an issue about pulling to the left and something about a lurch in the transmission when coming to a stop. But otherwise it's been extremely reliable in all studies.
  • Options
    I am considering a Freelander. I also have concerns over the reliability and the sparse dealer network. The interior quirks makes a Saab look run of the mill too.

But what really concerns me is the sluggish acceleration everyone is mentioning. How is it to drive in traffic and to pass on highways really?
  • Options
    Road Test: 2002 Land Rover Freelander

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    I test drove a Freelander recently. Granted, a half hour test only tells you so much. But it does tell me that

1) the handling is very well done.
    2) the interior fit and finish? What fit and finish!
    3) the ergonomics? the pictograms for switches?
    4) the engine and acceleration were better than reviews lead you to believe but you have to keep stirring the engine to get much motion.
    5) interior space is at a premium. At 5'11'' my head rubbed against the headliner the entire trip.
  • Options
    soylentsoylent Member Posts: 25
    Wow,

What a worthless review. I guess like most national newspapers, I shouldn't expect a "hard" review. That may jeopardize the advertising revenue they receive from LRNA. Thank God for Edmunds.
  • Options
    I link to a lot of newspaper reviews around Town Hall (stimulates discussion ). After a while they all start to sound like they were written by the manufacturer's ad company, and then sent out to the papers for "filler." Every once in a while you can gleam a good comment or two though.

(thanks for reading).

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can find monthly sales figures on specific autos? Since the release of the Freeelander I have only seen 2 on the streets of Los Angeles. And if the number of posts on this board is any indication, the Freelander must not be selling as expected. Just curious. And please " everyone is too busy having a blast in their Freelander to post messages" comments are not allowed.
  • Options
    Try here.... http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/homsu.asp

Sales of the Freelander have been less than expected, but have been picking up.
  • Options
    A 2004 D90? I assume that you have some "inside information" on the return of the D90! I missed by this || much, getting my hands on a 97, back in their final run, here in the US. A little out of my price range at the time, but looking back , I should have made the leap. I see a few around here in LA, exterior/interiors in great condition, but usually around 50-70K on the odometer, 36-42K in price. Nice jump from the 33K original '97 sticker price wouldn't you say? Hopefully when and if they bring it back, they don't change the styling at all. Got to love those classic D90 lines! I just don't know where LRNA was going with the Freelander. I know they saw a lot of money in the small SUV range being made by other manufacturers, but I think it was a misstep. But oh well, what the h*** do I know.

cheers.
  • Options
    I don't think the D90 is coming back in 2004 now, will probably be delayed a couple of years.
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    I've seen plenty of them in LA.
  • Options
    pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    "I just don't know where LRNA was going with the Freelander. I know they saw a lot of money in the small SUV range being made by other manufacturers, but I think it was a misstep. But oh well, what the h*** do I know."

Well, the Freelander has been the best selling SUV in Europe since it came out, so I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a misstep.
  • Options
    mrwhipple: I meant to specify 1997 D90s - sorry.

pluskin: Apples and Oranges my friend
  • Options
    Land Rover is a very small player in North America and around the world. Yearly annual sales have been under 30,000 units. If Freelander could hit 2,000-2,200 units a month it could almost double the number of annual sales and help bring the Land Rover experience to people who might never feel they could afford a Land Rover. It has been a slight disappointment to not have the expected numbers, but they are trending upwards and have helped Land Rover post record sales numbers. It also has helped our retailers, the majority of which are stand alone units, increase their sales. Having 3 models to sell instead of 2 helps drive traffic in, and some of the people who come in expecting to buy a Freelander, find that a Discovery is also in their price range. There has been a problem with the public thinking that all Land Rovers are $50,000 and up vehicles.
  • Options
    The latest from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety / Highway Loss Data Institute...

"2002 Land Rover Freelander:
    Front into flat barrier $932 / Rear into flat barrier $2,723 /Front into angle barrier $719 / Rear into pole $2,096 / Total damage 4 tests $6,470 / Average damage per test $1,618 / Bumper rating: Poor."

"The Freelander has a flimsy rear bumper bar and no foam at all to absorb crash energy. In both rear tests at 5 mph, the rear door was damaged beyond repair. Replacement of the door and glass, which shattered, cost more than $1,000. The electric motor that operates the rear window also had to be replaced ($337 for the part alone), and fender damage had to be repaired after the rear-into-flat-barrier test. Total damage exceeded $2,000 after each of the rear tests, flat-barrier and pole.".................

Luckily the new CRV makes these numbers look good.
  • Options
    Here's the IIHS link.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    This is also from the IIHS test in comparing to the Freelander. You should have read further.

"The CR-V's performance was even worse. It sustained more than $2,500 damage in each of the two rear impacts." and "Overall, the CR-V sustained about $6,600 damage in the Institute's four bumper tests, nearly double the total damage sustained by a 1998 CR-V in the same tests. "When Honda redesigned the CR-V, the manufacturer obviously didn't care about the bumpers. The result is that CR-V owners can expect a lot of costly damage, even in minor bumps," Lund says."
  • Options
    "Luckily the new CRV makes these numbers look good."

What this statement means is that because the new CRV tested worse with more expensive damage, the numbers for the Freelander, though very high, were not the worst. And being facetious; "look good"
  • Options
  • Options
    abdawson1abdawson1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have an idea what the prices for the dealer installed extras are? Specifically the extra fog lamps that were included in the "Edge" kit.
    My friendly local dealer told me that the kit's have been discontinued, but their components are available separately. The web site confirms this as they are no longer posted.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I was behind a Freelander today in city traffic, the first one I have seen. I believe it has a serious design flaw that may be a safety issue.

The brake and directional lights are mounted very low, in the rear bumper. There are running lights and backup lights mounted higher on the body, where you would expect to find the brake/tail lights.

The ultra-low positioning of the brake lights in particular meant that I almost never noticed them. After several near-misses I had to change lanes just to get out from behind the thing, because I really felt like I could rear-end him.

It seems bizarre to put running/backup lights in a prominent location where you would look for brake lights, and in turn bury those lights so low that they are impossible to see in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm amazed there is no federal regulation dictating brake light placement. In any event, the Freelander is downright dangerous to other traffic under such conditions. Beware.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    While I agree the positioning of the main brake lights is bizarre, how did you miss the High mounted brake light above the rear tire? These vehicles did pass federal safety requirements for lamp placement.
  • Options
    jpfkkjpfkk Member Posts: 43
    A quick question for the group here. Are there any published reports (published as opposed to "I heard that...") as to Land Rover's plans for the Freelander in 2003?

Edmunds is reporting a possible two-door Freelander is in the works but the image shown is of a two-door English model which I can't see them bringing here (it is not particularly elegant).

Much thanks.
  • Options
    Land Rover is bringing in the 3 door model for 2004. As far as elegance, that is subjective and many people we have surveyed like the styling of the vehicle.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Yep, I saw the high brake. It didn't seem particlarly visible to me, or maybe my eye was just always drawn to look at the logical spot where I expected to see brake lights. Regardless, it was a hazard I chose to get away from. What could they have been thinking?

I must confess: my first thought was "Lucas electricals" and how I figured it was a malfunction... ;-)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jpfkkjpfkk Member Posts: 43
    Tincup47,

Thanks for the response and the information.

Do you have a source for the information you posted which suggests that Land Rover "is bringing in the 3 door model for 2004?" I believe the Edmunds report suggests something may arrive in 2003. I am trying to assess what new plans, if any, that the company has to modify the Freelander for 2003.
  • Options
    I work for Land Rover North America. The 3 door is definitely coming to the U.S.