Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    stevesr1stevesr1 Member Posts: 28
    I noticed this thread and couldn't help to comment. I have noticed similar stone chips, etc. to the area below the door bumpers of my 2001 Highlander. I have also noticed that the supplied splash guards are almost totally worthless at catching road debris before it hits the side of the vehicle. The stock tires also contribute to this problem because of the wide width and the deep tread tends to pick up rocks which are later released at high speed which can hit the side of the vehicle.

This is the reason that I originally decided to install better splash guards. The combination of the larger SUV tires with deep tread and the stock splash guards just doesn't work. The ideal size for the splashguards seems to be about 9x16+".
  • Options
    arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    My dome light was also very sensitive to any door being slightly a jarred. I solved this problem by adding an adhesive backed 3M vinyl bumper (1/4"-3/8" high) to each door directly opposite the light switch activator on the door frame. This "added extension" to the switch throw now makes the door switch "activated" even with the door slightly opened.
  • Options
    stevesr1stevesr1 Member Posts: 28
    When I removed the stock splash guards to use them as templates for cutting the new inserts I noticed a line on the body where the back side of the guards meets the body. At first I thought that this was just a wax line. Closer inspection revealed that it was actually a mark in the finish. It looks like this was caused by the rubbing of the guard against the body caused by air turbulence.

In order for this to to occur there has to be grit or dirt involved. I didn't recall seeing this with the splash guards on my 90 Camry. I then took a close look at the Highlander splash guards. To my amazement these guards were not solid and did not block wheel spray! In fact, they act like a funnel to direct water and road splash (including abrasive dirt and sand) directly between the inside of the guard and the body of the vehicle.

I guess these splash guards were designed by the same guy that gave us the non-functional driver's seat cup holders in the 2001 models.

Anyway, the weather here has finally gotten good enough that I finished installing the supplemental splash guards last evening. These will also block the spray path between the existing guards and body of the vehicle. This Saturday will be the gravel road test where I will hope to not hear the sound of gravel hitting the side of the vehicle as I have before. I'll let you know how this modification works out.
  • Options
    twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    Well I now have 2700 miles on my 03 HL and have developed a whinning noise which occurs at 30 and again at 40. The dealer thought a rear wheel beaing was defective and replaced it. The whinning noise persists. I will be taking the HL in next week and the tech. guy will look at it. Hopefully he will be able to isolate the problem and an easy fix. Did anyone have a similar problem?
  • Options
    chop889chop889 Member Posts: 9
    02 Highlander LTD Does anyone else have a crecking nose coming from the windshield area. Of course the dealer said they fixed it but they did not. It sounds like it is coming from the top, under the sunvisors area. Just small turns in the road will make the sound. I tried everything to locate it, but removing trim. Any help out there!!!!!!!!!! Thanks
  • Options
    lj225lj225 Member Posts: 33
    I have been reading the comments made here about the Helo Noise (affect). Is this really that bad? I have a 2 year year old who will be sitting in the back. Is this normal in an SUV? I dunno Im just staring my search, and trying to decide if the highlander is right for my family, or If I just go the Minivan route.

I did not test drive one yet this is why I ask. For other members with children how do you feel about the Highlander wind noise was it something you just deal with, or something that really can be unbearing for children? Thanks any input here would be appreciated.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Is only present with rear window(s)down, fronts closed, and at a reasonably high speed.

And it is, can be, very painful to the eardrums for all passengers simultaneously.

With A/C in use there is little reason for this to happen.
  • Options
    eenglisheenglish Member Posts: 22
    Have you read the several messages sometimes described as a 'distant siren' noise?

I seem to have this problem with my 2002 and will have them look at it when I bring it in for an oil change.

For me it is somewhat intermittent. If they changed the wheel bearing and not the seal described below that may be why the problem wasn't fixed.

Here is the relevant info from another post from someone that had the problem and had it fixed:

There is a Service Bulletin out on this as it is common to Highlanders. It is caused by faulty inner axle seals. They can't just lubricate them. They have to replace them ( part # 90311-52005).

Eddie
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    I have the noise but my dealer says that there is no service bulletin on it yet. Unfortunately the noise is so intermittent that the dealer can never hear it, therefore they won't attempt a repair. There are people on the board that have had successful resolutions to this problem though.

I love my HL but am a little discouraged right now. Between the whinning, leather splitting, and warped rotors I feel like I am constantly at the dealer. I guess I could have worse problems, but I was expecting to only visit the dealer for maintenance. I guess that I am spoiled after owning two Accords.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I suggest that you make copies of the relevant mesages on this forum, show them to the service manager at the dealer and if that does not work ask to speak face-to-face with the Toyota area service rep. I had the whinning noise and was afraid the dealer would not fix it since it was intermitent but they knew right away what it was and how to fix it on my first visit. I think your problem is more with the dealer than with the Toyota Highlander.
  • Options
    Eenglish, Thanks for the info. I made a copy of your post and previous ones and had a meeting today with the tech. He then called the tech. center in Cal. and they said they know of the problem and they now have a fix. A new is seal is available for the rear axle brg. apparently different from the part no. you mentioned? The tech. center was positive that installing this seal would solve the problem. It only affects the right rear. I have an appointment next Wed. and I will post the results.
  • Options
    Wow I cannot get over how BAD the Wind Noise was on this car (with the Rear window down). After reading review after review there was never any mention of this! Makes you wonder. I simulated the the same thing in my car, and yes it happened there too, BUT NOT LIKE THE HIGHLANDER. I dont know if this is ALL SUV's but this really makes me re-think my new car purchase, Maybe a Minivan.

I really like this truck and have not ruled it out, but will consider other's now, and take them for a ride. Wow Such a nice ride and all what a shame. Yes I felt like I on an "ILS" approach into Newark, My ears and the wifee's ears were just... lets just say horrible.
  • Options
    rmui1rmui1 Member Posts: 48
    If you do end up buying the Highlander and have to live with the noise, you can reduce it by experimenting with offseting the air pressure by opening a front window. I like driving with window open when possible and find that I need to experiment with which rear windows to open and by how much, to smooth out the wind coming into the driver's window. If you haven't noticed yet, the airflow in the front window is not smooth either, though not painful like the rear. And I adjust them for vehicle speed too. So far the best airflow I experienced was on a 80 degree day, both front windows all the way down, with both rear about 1/2 to 3/4 way down, driving about 40 mph--but this is a matter of personal preference.
    I miss the smooth airflow of my 96 Accord but overall still like my Highlander, at least when the dash isn't creaking and the cargo area isn't rattling : ) and lately they haven't been a frequent problem.
  • Options
    I hear/read more about issues with the car. Although I am trying to find out IF ALL SUV's have this type of issue, I wonder about the quality now as well. $25g min. for the Highlander makes sense to compare it to the others available.
  • Options
    A while ago I posted about my port installed leather seat bottom cracking and how Toyota was going to replace it without grief. Well, we seem to have encountered a glitch while ordering the cushion. I'm going to need somebody else on the board with a MY'01 with port leather to take a glance at their seat cushion to verify something for me.

What I need: Take a look at the seat cushion and you will notice that the cushion is divided into three separate sections that run in a door to door direction. The middle section is much narrower than the other two. On my car, the outer sections are perforated and the middle "narrow" section is solid. My dealer has ordered the cushions three times and each cushion has had all three sections perforated. My dealer says that this is a 2001 vs "02-03 difference but the warehouse says that they have never seen cushions with the middle section solid. Today I have to go by for the dealer so that they can take a picture and email it to the warehouse for proof.

If one of you could take a quick glance and tell me what your HL has I would appreciate it. I want to make sure that my seat covers were not a fluke.

Thanks, Tommy
  • Options
    really means dealer aftermarket purchase at the most competitive, cheapest, price. "Cheaper", lowest quality, aftermarket vendors never keep their doors open very long.

Original aftermarket vendor is probably long gone.
  • Options
    Hi, I assume that you are referring to my post. The PIO leather is manufactured by Classic Soft Trim and according to the Classic Soft Trim web site, they are still in business. According to my dealer, Classic still makes the Port leather for Toyotas. I'm just curious as to whether or not there is a difference in my car versus others.

Which model year is your HL?
  • Options
    As a follow up to my post 636 The seal was replaced today and happy to say the noise is gone. Per my satement the inner right hub/axle seal was replaced part no. 90311-56031.
  • Options
    If an owner of a '01 could take a glance at their leather seat pattern I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Tommy.
  • Options
    fx35driverfx35driver Member Posts: 11
    All of the ones that we saw when we were shopping around had perforated middle sections. The leather seats shown in the 2001 Highlander Brochure are also perforated.
  • Options
    rfhourfhou Member Posts: 47
    The port installed leather on my 2001 has perforations in all three section.
  • Options
    i95cruisingi95cruising Member Posts: 3
    After 10 months of ownership and 17,000 miles logged,I can honestly report that I have experienced no problems. No clicks, rattles, whines, nothing. True, there is considerable wind noise, either with the sunroof open or the windows open, such that any speed over 40 mph necessitates closing them, but to me this is an annoyance, not a problem.

My previous auto was a Jetta Diesel which I dearly loved and amassed 500,000 miles. I miss the way the Jetta felt on the road, something the Germans know how to engineer into their cars, and I miss the 46 miles per gallon for sure, but it is unfair to compare the Highlander to a German sedan, just as it is unfair to compare the HL to other types of off-road vehicles. Evaluate the HL with its intended purpose in mind.

I wash & wax my car frequently and have had no problems with the finish. My HL is in the dark blue Indigo Ink color with Ivory leather interior, something that I absolutely wanted. I also wanted the Limited and towing package, and to obtain these items, I had to accept just about everything else Toyota installs, but it is a nice looking vehicle. Had I not become so wedded to the particular color and equipment, I could have purchased it for less money. I wasn't shopping for the cheapest car on the market, but one of the best.

Somewhat off topic here, I met a fellow who had just purchased a Highlander Limited and a Honda Pilot. He enjoyed them both, but gave the Pilot better marks for extended highway travel. I have made 3 trips to south Florida, 1 trip to Hilton Head, S.C., 1 trip to Ann Arbor, and 2 trips to northeastern Pennsylvania, and I can say that there is nothing objectionable about the HL on a trip. The driving range has been consistently 400 miles on a tankful of premium fuel.

Based on my experience with the Highlander thus far, I believe that I would make the same purchasing decision again.
  • Options
    nottalotofunnottalotofun Member Posts: 1
    I noticed this weird noise last week. It happens when I insert the key into the ignition (without turning), immediately there is humming or buzzing sound coming from under the hood. Could it be static? The noise would stop after 30 seconds if I don't pull the key out. Every time I have key in the ignition, the noise would come back then goes away. Had a local Toyota dealership checked out today and was told it's "normal", just like what they told me about the "normal" fuel injector clicking sound. Anyone noticed similar problem? It's very hard to believe there's so much "normal" noise on this 03 HL V6 with only 1,400 miles on it.
  • Options
    priming the brake fluid pressure accumulator.
  • Options
    grenedygrenedy Member Posts: 17
    While I am pleased with the price/fuel economy of the 4cyl engine - I do occasionally experience some "buzziness" or vibration on start up from a full stop. Also, seems to be less noticeable before the engine fully warms (and idle RPM drops below 1000). I have under 1000 miles. Is this typical of 4cyl vs 6cyl engines and normal for this vehicle? Thanks.
  • Options
    i95cruisingi95cruising Member Posts: 3
    I have heard this slight whir or buzz sound also. The first day I brought my new HL home I waxed it while listening to music with the windows down and noticed this sound. It might be the electronic ignition or engine disabling device. In any event, my HL has run trouble free for nearly 20,000 miles now.

Autos have been constantly evolving and becoming more complex, seemingly with each model year. To compare a new vehicle to your previous vehicle may be quite natural, but in reality, most likely it is not a fair comparison. The level of sophistication of automobile systems today is quite remarkable. Speaking from the perspective of someone who in years past used to perform all my own service,including engine overhauls, I can say that this car is beyond my expertise, and I will leave the service to the experts.

It is interesting to me to note that with some people, anything that is different will be perceived as a problem. You have discussed this with your dealer and have been informed that the sound you have heard is normal. Yet you describe this as a "problem." If you do not have confidence in your dealer, then perhaps you should have the vehicle serviced at another shop.
  • Options
    vhkat1vhkat1 Member Posts: 27
    Have had 03 Highlander for two months. Quite pleased overall. Yesterday drove it 6+ hours in and out of rain. Rear wiper used both on full and on intermittent from time to time. No unusual sound versus any other wiper when on full. When on intermittent, every time wiper motion started there was a clicking sound something like a cricket. Not super loud, but readily noticeable in front seat and quite annoying over time.

If anyone else experienced this, please comment. Thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have a 4 cyl and it's not as smooth as a 6, which is typical for most cars of the same model.
  • Options
    homershannonhomershannon Member Posts: 10
    I see many posts about the Highlander's high wind noise and buffeting with one rear window down. Well, big deal. Who drives like that? Crack any other window in the car and the problems stops. Further if you put all the windows down about 2" you get a nice quite breeze. This whole topic is a non-issue. And, what other car have you been in lately where the rear windows went 100% of the way down?
  • Options
    I have gotten the impression that many of the buyers have never encountered the problem before, and if so, not knowing or understanding the source or cure would raise one's consternation level considerably.

New RX330, roll the car out of the garage, load the dog in the back, lower a rear window, and then drive away. At about 40 per the throbbing starts up and quickly becomes painful to the eardrums.

Who, without having experienced the problem before, would guess the problem is simply the lowered rear window?
  • Options
    but is finally here. When Toyota agreed to replace my lower seat cushion cover because of splitting leather, they never realized that I have what the dealer now calls a "prototype" pattern that was only installed on very early '01s. The original covers were manufactured by Classic Soft Trim and the replacement is from Trim Masters who according to their website, are owned by Toyota. The replacement looks identical but feels of higher quality.

So if any of you own a early '01 with port leather and happen to need a replacement cover, explain to the dealer that ordering the right part number will NOT result in getting the right part. The difference is that the narrow strip on all seat cushions and the seat backs is made of a solid piece, not perforated. In other words if your seats are perforated entirely, getting a replacment should be no big deal.
  • Options
    phlyppphlypp Member Posts: 7
    Finally got mid range of radio to work. This was posted before but can't find so thought I'd repost. To improve sound of standard radio, hold 'tune' right button in until radio beeps. Then press button twice. First push will show 'Bass', second push will show '///d'. This is apparently as close as the radio will come to printing 'MID'. Turn the tune know to set the mid range settings. I find +3 or +4 sounds much better. If you turn radio off before turning car off, don't have to reset, otherwise do.
  • Options
    jackmickjackmick Member Posts: 39
    Purchased a 2003 HL V6 in March and have a few comments on the vehicle. Over all I think the HL is a great car. After three years of production why does it take so much foot power to stop the HL, and why so much wind noise coming from the roof above the windshield. I read the post on the TSB regarding the weather stripping, shouldn't it be already installed on the 2003 model? Are there any remedies in the works? All responses will be appreciated. Thanks one and all.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    When I first got my Highlander (2001), the breaking felt spongy as well, but after a couple of weeks either the breaking improved or I no longer noticed it, I honestly can't tell you which. However since you still feel that there is a problem with the power breaks, return it to the dealership and have them check it out.

I know there is a TSB for wind noise around the front doors for 2001 and possibly 2002's (I had that problem and had the dealer incorporate the TSB), but if there's a TSB for wind noise above the windshield then I missed that, though one poster said that repositioning the optional hood deflector/bug shield eliminated his wind noise above the windshield. In any case have the dealership check it out as judging from this board most owners don't seem to experience this.
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    2003 AWD V6 Limited, 8,600 miles

I noticed a rattle coming from the front wheel (brake). When my drivers window is down, and I change lanes, the lane marker bumps (here in California) cause a clunking sound from the front wheel (which I can hear over the tire noise).

If I apply the brakes gently, the clunking noise stops.

The normal sound of the tires going over the lane markers is a "whump - whump" sound. In my case - I hear the "whump - whump" and also the clunk clunk. Light brake pressure stops the clunk.

I figured it may be the caliper or the pads.
    I took the wheel off, looked at the caliper and pads. Everything seems OK. The Caliper has more play than I expected, and this may be the noise I am hearing.

One other observation - the front rotors are really thick. I can't believe people are having trouble with warping.

Overall I really like the highlander - but there are a couple of annoying issues I don't like - especially on a $35K vehicle.

1) Front struts make a loud thunk at full extension (when front end is light going over the crest of a bump)

2) The "loose" front calipers and pads which make a cheap clanking sound going over lane marker bumps

3) Misc dash and seat rattles (seems a little cheap)
  • Options
    cfu000cfu000 Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I got my 03 HL around March, and started hearing this noise about 3 weeks after taking delivery by accident (window rolled down while car is still in garage).

The noise sounds like ginding btw the tire and sand/gravel, just like that when the car is parked on top of sand/gravel, and stayed stationary while the wheels are turned.

It happens whenever I turned the steering wheel just a little bit, and most obivous when the car is still in the garage (noise bouncing around?), and I can hardly hear it in the driver's seat once the car is out of the garage. Though standing next to the front wheels one can hear it
    (with little back ground noise, at a dealership with traffic/tools around, it is very hard to catch it).

I brough it to a dealership for opinion, and they said it is the normal operation sound of power steering, anyone have this kind of noise?

It sounds scary in the morning when wife takes it out while I am still in sleep - yes, the noise travels about 80 feet, across 2~3 walls and is still CLEARLY audible!

Any comments?

Thanks.
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Anyone else find the paint on the hood chips fairly easily?
  • Options
    I have a couple after 4 months. Paint seems thin.
  • Options
    Over the last six years I've had three new Hondas and one new Chevy. None of those cars chipped as easily as my HL. As of matter of fact, my '93 Accord that I bought new and still own maybe has two or three small chips.

However after 25k miles, this is one of the only gripes that I have had with the Toyota.

By the way, I found this web site the other day:
    http://www.langka.com/

Great stuff for touch ups and works as advertised. Somebody should have developed this sooner.
  • Options
    arizgeorge1arizgeorge1 Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I agree that the paint coating seems thin on the Highlanders. Right after purchase of my 2002, I added extended rubber mud flaps to the worthless plastic flaps that came with the Highlander. It has helped a lot in protecting the rocker panel, but I still get fine paint chips where not protected by the mud flaps. Ariz. dirt and gravel is tough on cars here, but the Highlander has been the most vulnerable of all my cars here.
  • Options
    raggedy1raggedy1 Member Posts: 29
    I was washing my wife's HL last week and noticed both front mudguards are torn. They tore from the inside edge, probably from the force of wind during highway driving. I've since noticed at least 15 other Highlanders on the freeway with torn or tearing mudguards (flapping in the wind). Owners, take a good look at your front mudguards and see whether they are tearing or torn. I will call my dealer and/or contact Toyota USA for an answer, but Toyota had better redesign this flaw!
  • Options
    ba711ba711 Member Posts: 2
    My thanks to all of you for helping me diagnose the rear wheel whining noise on my 01 HL Ltd. There is a Tech Service Bulletin at the dealers that describes this common problem on HL's. My dealer replaced the right rear inner bearing seal last week. So far so good,no noise. The noise was intermittent.
    Now if only my dealer could find & fix the snap,pop,& cracking noise located on the right front passenger side of the vehicle. It seems to come from the glove compartment or right side of front windshield or moonroof area. It is very difficult to determine its exact location. Sometimes it comes from temperature changes when vehicle sits in the sun for awhile & when I turn on the AC. Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks again for your help? My HL 01 has 16,000 miles.
  • Options
    jackmickjackmick Member Posts: 39
    Have one paint chip on the hood close to the grill. Had a white 94 Maxima with lots of chips down to the metal. Can't blame the paint job on chips, if you get bombed with a big enough piece of gravel no paint job will hold up. 03 Highlander with soft brake pedal and outside wind noise, I'll take the paint chips.
  • Options
    I had the "cracking" from that area this past winter and my dealer and I tracked it down to where the windshield pillar trim meets the dash. A strip of the "rattle tape" that the dealer uses solved the problem. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    brepel1brepel1 Member Posts: 1
    i also have a whining noise on my 02 hl ltd. it is loudest at 38 mph. had the rear (passenger side) bearing and seals replaced 3 wks ago but it did not eliminate the noise. dealer very cooperative and will check into it further next week.does anyone have the phone number to the service center in ca. hl has 16000 miles
  • Options
    You described my problem exactley . I posted serval posts awhile back about this problem and thought they have fixed the problem with the seal and bearing replacement but they did not. E-mailed toyota and they said someone would contact me but they never did. I gave up and will learn to live with I guess.If it works why fix it. I will remember this when it comes time to trade. Let me know if your dealer finds the problem.
  • Options
    misteremistere Member Posts: 5
    I have some concern over the bump steer I'm experiencing with my 03 Highlander, 3 weeks old.
    Minor road defects will pull the steering wheel out of my hand. Yesterday, making a sweeping 70 degree turn I had to fight wheel. It was bucking like a severe shimmy. I was going about 35 with slight acceleration. Does anyone have similar problems?
    Thanks
    Ed
  • Options
    at the front.
  • Options
    Sounds like it should be looked at by a mechanic, at least reported to Toyota service soon.