Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hookem2hookem2 Member Posts: 6
    what state are you in?
  • Options
    moonbeam2moonbeam2 Member Posts: 6
    Huntersville, NC
  • Options
    Not sure what your tax rate is, but invoice on an EXL AT is $25,080, and then apply the $1200 incentive money you would be at $23,880 - if your tt&l are only a $120 you would be at $24000 OTD which would be a good deal.
  • Options
    moonbeam2moonbeam2 Member Posts: 6
    tax is 3% in NC
  • Options
    bfrasurebfrasure Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market for an EX-L 4 no nav. The best price I have been quoted is $23K + TTL. To get the 0.9% they want to add $1200.

Would appreciate any feedback as to whether you think the prices will improve any over these figures come the end of the month or come August when the refreshed 2011 models arrive.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Another novel idea is for dealers not to charge hundreds of dollars for pinstriping, paint sealant, cloth protections, etc. with an add-on sticker.
  • Options
    delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2010
    hookem2,

You stated...

"Here's a novel idea.... Pay a fair price for the vehicle!! You seem to have problem with dealers making a profit. Why is that? Invoice is $22,332 + $750 (Dest) - $1200 incentive = $21,882 + $500 profit for dealer $22,332 = $24,100"

I think that you've really giving some very bad advice. Neither you or I, or anyone else for that matter, are hardly in any position to determine a dealer's profit. No one knows the actual dealer cost except a few people inside the dealership (e.g., owner, GM); not even the sales staff. Dealerships have revolving doors through which sales people come and go every day. Very few dealerships are going to entrust sales staff with senstive cost information.

Acquiring a vehicle today is both an art and a science. I'ts a game of strategy. The game is played so that dealers try to earn as much as they can and customers try to save as much as they can and; there is nothing wrong with either one of those strategies. It's all about the art of negotiation.

Dealer invoice does not equate to dealer cost. A very rough estimate of dealer cost is to take invoice and subtract holdback as well as any manufacturer to dealer incentives/credits. And, trust me, we're not privy to that information. If there are any customer incentives; then deduct those as well to establish a selling price from which to commence negotiations.

When I lease, I always create a one-page proposal that contains information similar to the following hypothetical lease...

MSRP........................... 31,120.00
    Sell Price...................... 26,169.00
    Amts Financed.
    Acq Fee..................... 595.00
    Doc Fee..................... 399.00
    DMV/Gov Fees.......... 813.00
    NJ Sales Tax 7.00%... 799.70 (0.07 x 36 x 317.34)
    GROSS CAP............... 28,775.80
    Cap Reduction.............. 0.00
    ADJ CAP.................... 28,775.80
    Money Factor............. 0.00160 (buy rate)
    Residual Factor......... 59%
    Residual Value......... 18,360.80 (Res. Factor x MSRP)
    Term......................... 36
    NJ Sales Tax Rate.... 7.00%
    Lease Payment....... 364.72
    Taxable Payment.... 317.34

I simply fax/email the proposal to the dealer and negotiate via phone/email in the comfort of my home/office. I have my laptop fired up, ready to rumble, and the only thing I'm likely to change is the sell price with just a few key strokes.

Why give the dealer $500 for profit? Do you know for a fact that the dealer is only making a $500 profit???

Dealers are in business to generate profit and they know exactly where bottom is... we don't! And so, I wouldn't be giving them anymore than is absolutely necessary. Believe me, if they're not making a profit, they'll only be too damn glad to let you know. They're simply not going to sell/lease anyone a vehicle that's not profitable.

John
  • Options
    bfrasurebfrasure Member Posts: 10
    John:

Do you have a similar format for purchansing rather than leasing?
  • Options
    alookmanalookman Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2010
    Hookem2, Here's a novel idea:

Show me your true cost and than add negotiated fair profit. True wholesale cost of a car is invoice less holdbacks and factory incentives.There are more than 1,200 incentives, I was told so by a manager!

Yes, quit adding worthless dealer add-ons and biting the hand that feeds you.

Criswell Honda in MD sold Accord AT EX-L for 21,882 + TTL to meeper in this forum, and the same car is being sold in Texas for 23,800-24,000 with protection crapola as if they are giving it for loss! The dealer cost is same in all 48 states!

Thanks for your suggestion. I switching to to Sonata SE with fantastic warranty, better content value and great dealer experience for 20,900 with no phoney baloney dealer add-ons or patronizing!
  • Options
    delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    bfrasure,

No, I don't. Sorry. The reason is that leasing is so much more complex than purchasing. When purchasing, the most important item to consider is selling price and everything else will fall into place. Financing a purchase is much more stringently regulated (FRBB Regulation Z) than leasing (FRBB Regulation M). There is some degree of irregularity in computing lease payments in this industry. For instance, GMAC discounts the residual one month nearer to the present which inflates the monthly payment by a few dollars and, it's perfectly legal! When leasing, there are many more opportunities for dealers to earn a profit (e.g., money factors that, legally, don't have to be disclosed) than with a straight purchase. Sales tax are a huge issue when leasing and their calculation can be quite complex depending upon the state.

John
  • Options
    rutangrutang Member Posts: 2
    getting offered $21,177 + tax + plate
    MSRP: $ 23,605

still eligible for 0.9% for 60 months. I could take the $1200 rebate and knock the price down to $19,977 and get my own financing.

In SW Pennsylvania.
    Price is pretty good according to edmunds and truecar.
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I disagree, its great advice.

No, I dont know for a fact that they only make $500, but who cares. Its well less than most people pay for the car. The dealer, and the salesman make a fair profit/commission and I'm happy with the price that I paid.

Use Edmonds TMV, use True car.com and move on.

Find dealer and develop a relationship with them, you wont ever get gouged using TMV or True Car and the dealer isnt going to buy too many Rolex's with the profit he makes on you selling the car at even a $1000 profit per car. Its win/win. Peace of mind also has a $ value.

Trying to guess what hold back is (2-3.5% usually) or what volume incentives they are getting can drive one nuts. Dealers also have taxes, insurance, and other obligations.

Just my 2 cents worth, to each his own. I just have better things to do than haggle and worry about $500 over a 5 year note at 0.9 %. (its about $2 a week)
  • Options
    betasheetsbetasheets Member Posts: 11
    Not sure if this is an average price, but thought I'd share.

$24,297.32 (starting price)
    + $190 documentation fee
    + $24 computer registration fee
    + $1470.68 (6% tax)
    + $18 owner transfer fee
    = $26,000.
    + $174 license plate fee (this is a variable Michigan fee based off MSRP, sale
    month, buyer birth month)
    = $26174 "out-the-door."

If I was paying cash and didn't want the 0.9%, more dealerships in the south-east Michigan area would have brought starting price down by $1200 for the dealer incentives from Honda. BTW, I got Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray leather.
  • Options
    laiwonglaiwong Member Posts: 2
    I was looking for more info about prices paid for accord coupe, but did not find much info. So basically here is what I'm interested in;

2010 Accord Coupe EX-L I4 with auto tranny

prices offered : $23,580 +TTYL

I'm thinking this is not a really bad deal, but I guess I can get a couple hundreds more off.......am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.....
  • Options
    I think you can do a couple hundred dollars better. Depends on where you are buying, but Truecar.com great starting price in my area (near Detroit) was below $23,800. I think if I did not take the 0.9% financing, and took advantage of the $1200 dealer incentive, I could have negotiated for a starting price <$23,500. Maybe $23,300 or even $23,100, which in my humble opinion seems to be a great deal for the car. Instead, I took 0.9% financing, and paid about $24,300 + TTYL. I got email offers starting at $24,200 as a starting price without the 0.9% financing and with the $1200 dealer incentive.

Jay
  • Options
    ruan38ruan38 Member Posts: 4
    I received several first round internet quotes with the lowest being $21,372 in Northern California (Milpitas.) This includes the destination charge but not TTL. At first glance I thought it was a good deal but realized my friend got a EX-L for $25,000 out the door in Southern California (San Diego.)

$21,372 initial quote
    $24,539.94 out the door if I pay in cash
    $23,188 if I want the 0.9% financing*

* The internet sales guy did say with 0.9% it would be $441.28 for 60 months. So isn't that $26,476.80 total...which is $1,936.86 more than the cash price? Which is worse than the $1,200 others have been commenting on this forum...

Last question, how do negotiate via email anyway? The $21,372 is already the lowest of 5 quotes I've seen today. Not sure how to bargain with him.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
  • Options
    Are you looking at the EX or the EX-L?
    Dealers do not get a $1200 incentive if the buyer uses the 0.9% financing. So, they will not pass along that discount if you want the 0.9% financing.

$1936.86 of course is worse than $1200 but how are you planning on buying the car? If all cash, then take the $1200 off. But if you are financing, lowest rates on new cars I have seen are in the 3-4% APR range. Over 5 years, that may all add up to be more than the total of $26,476.80, even if you take the initial $1200 dealer incentive.
  • Options
    I would take your lowest price email, cut and paste the quote, ask ANOTHER dealer to do better. I would also be up front and let them know you are contacting multiple dealerships.

They will do as much as possible to try to get you into the dealership to use their sales tactics. It's harder for the dealership to manipulate you over emails. I had several people call me despite explicitly stating in my quote requests not to call and only to email. Many would assume I was coming in or asked "so when do you plan to come in?"

Tell them you will only set foot in their dealership if they are willing to match or beat your best quote.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice! I'm look for just EX, not EX-L.

I guess I was reading the $1200 incentive wrong. I saw 3.99% financing and over 24 months it's not too bad.

I thought it was weird that I was getting calls left and right today even though I said to email me their deals. Too bad the lowest deal still feels pretty wrong. After getting 9 quotes today the lowest is still the $21,372+TTL=$24,539. It's ridiculous considering my friend bought her EX-L for $25,000 out the door less than 3 months ago. I don't know how to go back to the $21,372 guy since I have no lower deal.
  • Options
    I would email then go to the lowest price dealer. Ask them to go even lower. They will say, "No". Then you should actually walk away/go home. They will ask what it will take to buy on that day and if they do that, you can start some negotiating. But don't be afraid to walk away.

They will do EVERYTHING to make you feel like you have to purchase soon, today, by tomorrow before closing, etc. "Honda can retract all their clearance deals at any time!, etc." This is unlikely.

I would also suggest just you print out the True Market Value from Edmunds.com if it is lower than the dealer's offer. It's at least a starting point/discussion and they might think you have read a lot on Edmunds.com website.

Your friend getting an Accord EX-L (assume 4 cyl and no navigation) for $25,000 is a VERY good deal. Do you know if he had the 0.9% financing? Because that would be an even more amazing of a deal. All Honda dealers will not allow the combination of $1200 incentive and 0.9% financing.
  • Options
    No her EX-L purchase was cash deal and yes 4 cyl with no nav. That same dealership's internet quote was $24.5k OTD for my EX. What a game!
  • Options
    fmichaelfmichael Member Posts: 95
    I'm helping my co-worker with a Accord purchase; he's looking into the LX-P with auto, and EX with auto...LX-P was quoted $19,678 plus TTL, and EX at $21,282 plus TTL...Both quotes include destination charges, and $1200 incentive.

Not bad deals IMHO; the $19,356 is a great deal as well; dunno if it's worth the time/hassel to get more off than that.
  • Options
    bantubantu Member Posts: 12
    In regards to ...."LX-P was quoted $19,678 plus TTL, and EX at $21,282 plus TTL...Both quotes include destination charges, and $1200 incentive"

That's not a good deal considering that the 2011 model is just around the corner. Where do you live (if near NJ, there are dealers that I would like you to check)? I saw deals as low as $17500 selling price (with destination) + TTL...which comes down to $19300 or 19400 OTD at the end of June '10 in New Jersey.

You could get an LX for $19000 OTD and LX-P for $19800 OTD or so by the end of July( month end). I won't be too surprised if they go down to $18800 OTD for an LX
  • Options
    laiwonglaiwong Member Posts: 2
    Yea, I also think that I can do an extra couple hundreds off from the $23,580, but since I wanted a red or white, I doubt they will wanna discount it further since there's not many of 'em around Nor Cal. Is the $1200 discount still valid now? I'm planning to go for it by this weekend. Thanks
  • Options
    feifangongzifeifangongzi Member Posts: 11
    My price quota is $22,470+TLL. Is it sweet?
  • Options
    The $1200 dealer incentive and the 0.9% financing for the Honda Accord sedan is available until Sept 7th. The official Honda website has more details.
  • Options
    firehorsefirehorse Member Posts: 10
    what dealer is this? I am looking for EXL/auto too. What is the OTD?
  • Options
    feifangongzifeifangongzi Member Posts: 11
    Goodson west. I asked them OTD but they did not reply and I also just found their price does not include destination fee.
  • Options
    Watch out for the "$XXXXX+ TT&L" prices guys. Dealers will always find a way to add on additional fees.
    The destination charge is very common.
    Fees for paperwork
    Window VIN# Etching Fee
    Charges for pin striping.
    clear coat/rust proofing
    service contracts
    extended warranties
    all this other crap.
    What you really want/need to know is the "Out-The-Door" price.
    But otherwise $22,470 + TT&L and assuming no other fees would be a really good deal for 2010 Accord EX-L.
  • Options
    ybuycarybuycar Member Posts: 5
    I'm in illinois, I got a quote from Dave Mungenast St Louis Honda (st louis, mo)
    2010 Honda Accord Sedan Automatic (MSRP $23,565)
    Internet price in-stock is $18,801* With regular bank rates or cash.
    *Price includes the pin stripes and splash guards installed ($358 retail value free).
    # The destination charge of $710 is included in the price.
    # An administrative fee of $199 will be applied to the final selling price.
    # We have no hidden fees!
    Does anyone buy vehicles from this dealer before?
    Should I believe the sales man and go there?
    It's more than 150miles to this dealership. Also in another state, what should I do, such as emails, fax, to prove he is not lying.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ask him to give you total drive out price in writing.

I did get 2010 Accord LX-P auto sedan for family member for selling price of $19,250 plus TTL, which is in 6.25% sale tax for Texas plus 172 for title/license/tags plus 125 dealer doc./process fee with drive-out equal to $20,750. That car had mats, trunk tray, door edge protectors and wheel locks in addition to the add-ons you are being sold.

Yes, its a good doable price, just verbally confirm once you get the driveout price.
  • Options
    njshscnjshsc Member Posts: 5
    Hi I got a price for 2010 honda accord ex-l OTD: $24900. I am in NJ, the sale tax rate is 7%. How about this deal
  • Options
    tx_icetx_ice Member Posts: 22
    Clear Lake Honda in Houston is offering Accord EX-L for $24,900 OTD. It is their advertised special. Sounds like a pretty good deal.

http://www.hondaofclearlake.com/images/dealershipAds/honda-ad.pdf
  • Options
    thientienthientien Member Posts: 8
    How much should I pay for this car? I lived in Seattle, WA and dealers around here doesn't seems to have many of this model. Truecar.com gave me a quote of $24,615+TTL. Thanks for the tips
  • Options
    If you are looking to finance with the 0.9% special interest rate, the dealers may increase that OTD price by $1200. The Truecar and TMV prices reflect the $1200 dealer incentive from Honda.

My EX-L in Michigan was $26,174 OTD. ($24,300 starting price). This is with the 0.9% financing.

If I paid cash, I think I could have gotten the starting price down to as low as $23,100. Truecar and TMV for the EX-L 4cyl was about $24,400 (average price paid). Dealer cost on Edmunds was $23,600 and Truecar says that below $23,800 is a "great price." Truecar and TMV take into account incentives and destination charges. They do not reflect TT&L so not actual OTD price.

I think for the Honda Accords, the Truecar and TMV prices are pretty accurate. I'd aim to do better than the average prices on these two websites.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You will be hard pressed to find a V-6 EX Accord in the Seattle area.

They are very poor sellers so the stores don't order any.

It seems everyone wants leather.

Why not just a 4 cyl EX? More power than you will ever need, much lower price and better gas mileage!
  • Options
    njshscnjshsc Member Posts: 5
    I got 4%APR after $1200 incentive rebate.
  • Options
    Did you run your starting price through the Edmunds.com loan calculator? Also Bankrate.com has a good loan calculator. This will give you a good idea about what the overall cost after your loans will be.

In general, taking financing at 0.9% versus 4% APR over 5 years will be cheaper than taking the initial $1200 incentive. Interest kills you. (Unless you are putting like 90% down and financing a very small principle).
  • Options
    jek713jek713 Member Posts: 2
    Where in Texas did you get this deal? I haven't even been able to get 19,250 in Texas on an Accord LX (auto). That deal on the LX-P(auto) is a good one.
  • Options
    nina77nina77 Member Posts: 3
    A newbie here, so excuse if repeating....
    Can someone quote me your best deal on a 4 cyl EXL automatic for a buy and a lease deal in the Atlanta market? Also for EX. It is quite a crazy merry-go-round here.
    Tax is 7% Looks like 24K OTD is a good deal in some areas for EXL.
  • Options
    $24K OTD would be an amazing deal.
    Use Truecar.com or Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) to base your relative deal/prices. I think their prices are pretty close to averages.

FYI: in southeast Michigan, dealer cost (which includes the current $1200 Honda dealer incentive) is about $23600. I got mine with the 0.9% financing (which negates the possibility for the dealer to get the $1200 incentive) for $26K OTD.
  • Options
    tkcvijaytkcvijay Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I was able to buy a Honda Accord LX-P model for the out-the-door price of $20,500 from RT22 Honda dealership in New Jersey. They are really good and they came down well with the negotiations. I know I could have reduced a bit more, but I felt I got a good deal. Hence I made the purchase yesterday.
  • Options
    bantubantu Member Posts: 12
    Hi tkcvijay,
    Can you please provide the split? Sellingprice with destination, Doc fee, tax, tire fee, DMV/reg fees?

Thank you
  • Options
    Hi Bantu, the below is the split up :

=======================================
    Vehicle price : 18596.73
    NJ state sales tax : 1309.27
    Documents/Clerical : 349.00
    Registration/titles/plates : 299.00
    Total : 20554.00
  • Options
    jerseygolferjerseygolfer Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2009
    Hi tkcvijay,

Does that include the $1,200 incentive? Or did you instead go with the 0.9% financing?

Also, did they throw in the package which includes trunk liner, mud guards, etc..
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes that includes the 1200 incentive, as I had my own finance.

No they didnt give any package along with the car for the price I bought. They said I'm already getting a good deal...dont ask for anything more...I also felt the same and I didnt bargain much.
  • Options
    This deal was negotiated in late May at Honda Cars of McKinney- talk with internet sales supervisor. I was told the incentives have changed since than so you may have to pay few hundred more. Yes it includes that overpriced protection package.

I would aim for 19,500 as SP. The difference between LX-P and LX is about 700-800 at invoice value. I think dealers had extra incentives from factory besides 1200 to move inventory. McKinney dealership did tell me that older the car, greater the discount offered since the bank note accrues int. on their inventory.
  • Options
    Good luck dude...even I could have done it at a still lower price, but I couldnt wait as I didnt have a car. Everytime I had to ask my friends to drop me somewhere or I need to rent a car, which is easily more than 100 buck per weekend.

Worth trying to get it at 19500.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am not sure what the good luck is for, I was replying to a post asking me where I got the car in Dallas area.

The factory spec. LX-Ps were being sold for 18,500-18,700 or so in May or June when there were additional incentives besides 1200 if you could find one without dealer add-ons. The $600 protection package was forced upon us, didn't want it and every dealer in DFW market has it on very Accord!
  • Options
    MSRP: $25,380
    Invoice: $22,331
    ==========================================
    Vehicle price/Doc Fee: $21,080
    *CA state sales tax: $1,844.50
    DMV Electronic Fee $29
    License, Registration/Transfer/Title, CA Tire Fee: $339.75
    ==========================================
    Total: $23,293.25

* Note: Orange County (8.75%)