Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• Do any of you know when the 4.3L engine changed over to fuel injection?
  • lukyluky Posts: 1
    If your're into performance you should check out sportruck.com. This is an excellent place for questions/ideas/opinions on S10's. See you there!

Luky
  • I'm looking for a solid (fiberglass) cover for my S10, (not a cap) does anybody have one and did you notice an increase in mpg after installing it?
  • I have a '97 S-10 Ext. Cab V-6 with almost 90K miles. Believe it or not, I am still running the original tires that came on the truck which are Uniroyal Tiger Paws. My tire man says they have about 10K miles left. They have even wear all the way around and have been rotated every 5K miles.
    No complaints here!
  • you must not get any moisture where you live.
  • Spud10: The 4.3 got FI in 1987

Pokeyjoe17: Try running different brands of gas or switching octane. I had an s-10 4 cylinder that would get about 5 mpg better on Texaco 89 octane gas than anything else. Different brands of gas have different detergents and additives, your engine may like one better than the other.
  • Thanks for the info yotaboy1. Would you also happen to know when they changed from Throttle Body Injection to Tuned Port Injection?
  • First of all, thanks for any and all assistance.
    I'm considering the purchase of a `98 S-10. I'm currently driving an `84 Blazer.

The dealer just got the S-10 this week and I got to give it a quick once-over today before it is placed on the general lot. What I know so far: Ext.Cab LS, 3rd Door, Auto, V6, Overdrive, 2WD, 33k+ miles, lease turn-in, dual air bags, 1-owner(maybe). The underbody did not show signs of excessive wear or abuse, however, there was a possible indication of an oil leak in the engine or a fluid leak where the drive shaft joins the rear axle (and I, for-the-life-of-me, cannot think of the name of the part). Any problems in these areas?? There was also a black deposit along the center of the muffler and when I inquired, I was told that it was the soot by-product of unleaded gas coming out the seep hole of the muffler. ???? I haven't driven the truck yet so I can't speak to any handling problems. However, the `99 I tested for comparison seemed to not hug the curves. And I did have some difficulty seeing over the hood to the right front corner; I'm 5'6". Can the seat height be adjusted or would you have to get an aftermarket seat? Are there any specific areas that I should inquire about before any further consideration? The truck was garaged in a non-snow state, but whether the owner took it to snow, I do not know. And I would also like to know if mpg is increased with a hard bed cover?

Again thanks for your help.
  • After all of my problems (see posting #77) with my 98 s-10, I decided to get rid of it before it the warranty expired and I was stuck paying repairs on that piece of junk. I now own a 2000 Ranger XLT and love it. And now I don't know why anybody would pick the s-10 over the ranger. The ranger is obviously a more reliable truck, it rides smoother and is so much quieter, and it just feels so much sturdy than the s-10. I has friends that were considering a new s-10 but after seeing me drive rental cars all the time because of the s-10 being in the shop, they reconsidered. I owned a 94 ranger before my 98 s-10 and thought I'd give Chevy a try.......BIG MISTAKE! If anybody else is considering the s-10, take a look at the ranger before you make your final decision.
  • ok you had a lemon, that doesnt mean all S10's are bad. had 300,000 trouble free miles on my 83. my new one has 15,000 on it and I havent had any of the problems you had. I drove a 4 cyl and hated it....no power. so I got the V6. and yes I bought both new.
  • I have friends that own or have owned s-10s ranging from 1985-1993 and have had no major problems at all and they're still running. But from 1994 and up, they just aren't built the same. After 19,000 miles my transmission went out! I'd say thats pretty major on a new truck. My friend's 89 s-10 has 150,000 miles and the transmission is still working fine. Good luck on your new s-10, I just hope you have better luck than I did. Who knows, I might look at them again when they completely restyle them in a couple of years. I am really curious to see what kind of changes will be made both inside and out. Until then, I'm happy with my ranger :) :).
  • sj2000: Have you looked into a Leer tonneau for your S-10? That's what was recommended to me for my future truck. I believe the link is http://www.leer.com/ Scroll right once you get there and you'll see their menu. Would also appreciate your thoughts on res#137. Thanks.
  • I sorry you had so much trouble with your S-10
    I have a 98 Sonoma that I have not have 2 years
    and it has over 41,000 miles on it
    the only problem that I have had on it,
    is that the rear seal on the differential
    leaked but that's it.
  • yotaboy1: thanks for the info. I normally use Amoco 87. I'll filler on something new. Hope the prices go down!
  • yotaboy1: thanks for the info. I normally use Amoco 87. I'll filler on something new. Hope the prices go down!

I will be picking up a liner this spring. Anybody have suggestions. I would like a non slip RHINO type but I don't want to shell out the dough for it. My brother heard about a do it yourself spray on. Any luck with these?
  • you're thinking of herculiner, k-mart has it for $100, you need to buy other stuff also, everything isnt in the kit. I've heard good thing about the bedrug, easy install, think its $300
  • I have a '99 s-10 with 4 cylinder engine and auto transmission. The transmission seems like it does not want to upshift. It is really slow and soft. The dealer says it is okay and it was manufactured to have soft shifts. I still don't think it is working okay. By the way, the gas mileage is off about 33-50%. Any infor would be appreciated.
  • rjrmnrjrmn Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S10 ext. cab, 4 cyl, automatic. This
    model has a 2 piece drive shaft. Starting from a dead stop there is a brief shudder in the driveline. Dealer replaced drive shaft and played with shims to adjust rear axle/drive shaft angle with no change. We drove 4 other S10s with same drive train and they all did the same thing! Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a "cure"? Thanks!
  • My '98 s10 had the auto tranmission too. And I always felt that I had to floor it just to get it to slightly upshift. And then, after it broke down and the transmission had to be rebuilt, every time the rpm's would rev high and it was about to shift, the transmission made a high pitched "hollow" sound that was really annoying. I took it back to the dealer to have this problem resolved only to be told that I was just "hearing things" and it was given back to me. As far as gas mileage goes, my s-10 would literally drink gas as if it was a v6 or something. I found myself going through a tank of gas every 4 to 5 days, and it only got worse after the transmission was rebuilt. My opinion is that because you have to constantly floor the truck to make it go anywhere or go up a little hill, this caused most of the gas consumption. I opted for the v6 in the ranger I own now and I am loving it. And even though the engine is supposed to get worse gas mileage than the 2.2 in the s-10, it actually gets alot better.
This discussion has been closed.