Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    Hi, can somebody tell me how SC delivery works? I'm considering a 3 series and have no idea how it works. Some questions:

1. Do I have to order with a dealer or online? What are the steps of ordering?
    2. If order with a dealer, can I still negotiate with the dealer for any incentives or have to pay MSRP?
    3. Any prior experiences?

Thanks a lot folks.
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Hi, can somebody tell me how SC delivery works? I'm considering a 3 series and have no idea how it works. Some questions:

1. Do I have to order with a dealer or online? What are the steps of ordering?
    2. If order with a dealer, can I still negotiate with the dealer for any incentives or have to pay MSRP?
    3. Any prior experiences?

Good for you. Taking delivery at the Performance Center is a great experience. I've done it twice.

To answer your questions...

1. You simply tell the dealer when you place your order that you wish to pick up the car at the Performance center. There are no additional charges, and BMW will put up up at the nearby Marriot the night before. And feed you. And take you via bus to the PC the next morning. All you do is pay for your transportation to SC.

2. There is absolutely no difference in the way you negotiate the price for your vehicle, whether you take delivery at the dealer or the Performance Center. NONE!

3. Its a fantastic experience, and you get the opportunity to drive the crap out of some BMW's in a way that you would never treat your own car (at least, I wouldn't!).

Go to BMW's web-site. There are many details on the PC delivery...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Experience/Events/PDS/ProgramsandCourses/- DeliveryProgram.aspx
  • Options
    hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    Thanks a lot, busiris. very helpful. Just two more questions:

1. I thought negotiation was normally for cars in the lot. Should I negotiate with internet manager or just walk in?
    2. How long does the delivery take, from placing the order? A few days to weeks?
  • Options
    busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    edited July 2010
    1. I thought negotiation was normally for cars in the lot. Should I negotiate with internet manager or just walk in?
    2. How long does the delivery take, from placing the order? A few days to weeks?

1. When purchasing a car, EVERYTHING is negotiable, whether its a lot sale or special order. Just don't expect a BMW dealer to give you the same deal you see advertised at a Hyundai or Chevrolet dealer. Also, check the BMW site for special deals. Believe it or not, they often offer a better deal if you finance instead of pay cash. It just depends on when you buy and what's being offered at the time. As for the method, why not try both over the internet and in person? I see no downside to going that route.

2. Delivery depends on the model you select. If you're buying a model produced in SC (X series), I would roughly estimate anywhere from 3-6 weeks. A lot of that timing depends upon what the dealer has "queued" up in the production cycle, and what he has available to modify for your order. If its a model being imported (say, a 3-series), expect a time frame from 6-8 weeks. Usually, it doesn't take long for the build, but you can expect to spend as much time in transport as in every other phase combined.

The good thing is that once you buy, your dealer will give you (he should, anyway) the build order # within 24 hours, and you can track you car's progress from order placement to delivery on the BMW web-site, on a daily (or hourly, if you want to) basis.

One last note: Spend some time on the BMW web-site, and get very familiar with your choices. Know them inside and out before placing your order or making your purchase. Also, when you "ink" the deal, you will be offered several "options"...wheel/tire insurance, extended warratny/service agreements, interior protection, etc. All of these options "ain't cheap". Give some thought to these extras before you decide. They can easily add $10K to the "out the door" price. You have to decide which to purchase, and which are worth purchasing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy your ride.
  • Options
    hopsing1hopsing1 Member Posts: 4
    So did I get a good deal or not? LOL! Anyway, I actually do have empathy for those in this profession (at least on this purchase!) and I even sent my salesperson a Thank You card! I found most of the salesman that I dealt with (specifically in the midwwest - they had the most inventory and the best prices!) were more than patient with me and it was greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    hackmartianhackmartian Member Posts: 4
    Ok...this is harder than I thought.
    I've leased all of my cars going back 15 years now, but I've never had such a hard time getting honest numbers from a dealer. I've been quoted 3 different residuals and 3 different money factors on the same car with the same terms. I'm hoping someone can give me the real numbers.
    I'm looking at a 2011 335d for 36 months, 10k miles. Sounds simple enough, right?

The best deal I've been quoted (after a good amount of back and forth) is:
    2k total drive-off fees
    691, including tax (9.75% in los angeles)
    This is on a car w/ m-sport pkg, premium pkg, ipod, smartphone, heated seats, satellite radio. MSRP: 55225, neg. price: 48455 (this includes the 4500 eco-credit).

How close to reasonable is this?
  • Options
    dustycoopdustycoop Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I am looking at leasing a 335 sedan with the following. I live in central Texas. We have an owner's choice option as well.

335 sedan
    Jet Black
    Black leather interior
    Sport Package
    Automatic; Steptronic with paddle shifters
    Fold down rear seat

MSRP is $ 46,950
    Selling Price offered is $ 45,150
    15K miles per year
    36 month lease
    58% residual
    Lease factor of .00210
    $ 2000 down

Lease for 36 mos and 15K miles per year is $ 727.92 and $ 703.06 for 12K miles
    Owner's Choice for 36 mos at 15K mile/year is $ 683.27 or $ 658 for 12K miles

This is the first offer from the salesperson.

What should we be expecting and is this is a good deal or not?

Thanks so much for your advice!
  • Options
    unlimitedjoeunlimitedjoe Member Posts: 79
    any numbers on the 335 is model?
  • Options
    20carguy20carguy Member Posts: 8
    Put the specs of the deal aside. Can you afford the monthly, do you really like this car, is what you want? If so, according to the numbers, it's not a bad deal , might be a smidge better
  • Options
    pixiedst31pixiedst31 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Given you guys are all experts, I was hoping you could give me your opinion on these quotes for a new lease I am looking at. The specs of the car are below as well as the final lease prices I was able to negotiate. Thank you so much!

Alpine White / Saddle Brown Dakota Leather / Dark Burl Walnut

2011 328i Coupe
    Base Price U.S.A. $36,200
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,375
    494 Heated front seats $500
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth $750
    688 Harman Kardon $875
    6FL iPod Value Package
    6NF Smartphone Integration $150
    302 Anti-theft alarm $400
    322 Comfort Access $500
    459 Power front seats Value Package
    508 Park Distance Control $750
    LC Leather Dakota $1,450
    ZMP M Sport Package $3,000
    7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles $100
    Destination & Handling $875

MSRP $46,925

Lease Prices:
    36 months, 10,000 miles, $2,035.52 drive-off, $0 cap reduction, monthly payment of $560.36+tax=$615.00
  • Options
    pixiedst31pixiedst31 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Given you guys are all experts, I was hoping you could give me your opinion on these quotes for a new lease I am looking at. The specs of the car are below as well as the final lease prices I was able to negotiate. Thank you so much!

Alpine White / Saddle Brown Dakota Leather / Dark Burl Walnut

2011 328i Coupe
    Base Price U.S.A. $36,200
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,375
    494 Heated front seats $500
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth $750
    688 Harman Kardon $875
    6FL iPod Value Package
    6NF Smartphone Integration $150
    302 Anti-theft alarm $400
    322 Comfort Access $500
    459 Power front seats Value Package
    508 Park Distance Control $750
    LC Leather Dakota $1,450
    ZMP M Sport Package $3,000
    7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles $100
    Destination & Handling $875

MSRP $46,925

Lease Prices:
    36 months, 10,000 miles, $2,035.52 drive-off, $0 cap reduction, monthly payment of $560.36+tax=$615.00
  • Options
    joelk01joelk01 Member Posts: 56
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,539
    Yes...

.00007 deduction for up to 7 extra MSDs...

Total reduction of .00049 available..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    drgumsdrgums Member Posts: 51
    A $53,500 2011 335i X Drive sedan would be 692/month, 0 cap reduction , 58%, .002 factor, 36 months lease.
    Cap is 48500 after incentive.
    Can anyone advise me if this is a good deal?

Thank you
  • Options
    wilkich84wilkich84 Member Posts: 34
    I'm very interested in getting a used 328xi wagon with a manual. I love manuals but there's 2 on the CPO website as opposed to 50 automatics. The 2 have higher miles than I want. So I may decide to pull the trigger on a Steptronic. Anyone else move from a manual to automatic? Will I really miss the control associated with the manual. Anyone have an idea of whether manual are just that rare or whether I've hit a dry patch. I plan to buy in late August so I have a little bit of time.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,464
    In general are harder to come by than automatics. In a wagon, the odds are even slimmer. So especially since you're buying CPO, there are going to be some concessions you'll have to make. Like buying a higher mileage car. Rest assure that if someone bought a BMW wagon with a manual new, they most likely ordered it that way & took exceptional care of it. What kind of mileage are you talking about? What year are the 2 CPO cars?

Also realize that manual wagons are rare & do not hold their value when it comes to trade in time. Most likely the owner probably didn't get top dollar, so the CPO price is highly negotiable.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Thanks for the response. Looking at under 30k miles to have at least a year on the remaining free maintenance. Also Im trying get in on the .9% financing. The 2 manual cars are around 40k miles.

I tend to drive about 9k a year. You make good points about thinking about higher miles and the care someone likely took of the car. Again, the free maintenance program likely helped with that. However I might go the automatic route as there are more that are equiped with premium and xenon which i desire (but don't need). One thing I neglected to mention is that I do about 4 track days a year which argues for manual. But I should not let that effect the other 361 days of the year.

Wondering whether die hard manual folks like me will somehow wither and die with an automatic.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,464
    You track the car? Definitely go with a stick. You're a driver brother.

I wouldn't worry about 40K on a 3series. See if you can get a copy of the service history. My mom has an '08 328xi with 53K & it is solid as a rock.

See what they did to CPO the car. New brakes? Tires? When you start the car, how long does it say before the next service?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    jasatuclajasatucla Member Posts: 7
    Hello,

Please help in validating this lease offer (Westchester, NY). Please be honest and confirm if its a little fat...

Model:
    2011 328i xDrive
    Sedan
    Automatic
    Metallic
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Heated Steering Wheel

MSRP- $40,240.00
    Selling Price- $38,500.00
    Lease: 36 month/ 12K

Taxes (8.125%)- $1,475.43
    Residual- 62%/ $24,948.80 Amt
    Money Factor- 0.00170
    Security Deposit- $500.00
    Bank Fee- $725.00
    Total Upfront Fee: $3,282.21
    License & Reg: $124.00
    Doc Fee: $75.00
    Deposition Fee Upon Return: $340.00

Monthly Payment: $484.28
  • Options
    arsedanarsedan Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Please help me in deciding the best price for this car.
    Model:
    2008 328i BMW 4 Dr Sedan. (CPO)
    20,000 miles
    Black/Black
    Automatic
    Heated front seats
    Ipod/USB integration

Dealer is quoting a price of $29,900. What do you think is the best price for making an offer ?
    Please let me know
  • Options
    bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I purchased my CPO 2008 328i premium pkg, a/t with 14k for 26,000 + tax/lic, Palm Springs, CA. The car was at 29,900 and they lowered it to 27,900. I offered 26,000 and they accepted.
  • Options
    jiteshdjiteshd Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am in the process of closing a deal on 328xi 2007 model. It has
    1. 32,500 miles
    2. Premium Pkg
    3. Winter Pkg

The dealer had intially offered 29k, and now offereing 25.5k + additional costs.
    The additional cost, He is asking for 7% tax (which is okay), + 200$ registration fees + 400$ Documentation Fee?

Can somebody tell me if 400$ documentation fee is reasonable or too much charged by the dealer? And how much should the registration and title transfer fees should be?

I am in New Jersey Area.

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,978
    Is it certified? if it is CPO and an automatic, the price isn't horrible... but not good, either. They paid less than $20k for the car. BMW certification process is pricey, so figure maybe $2500 all in for that part of it. $2k profit on top of that puts you at $24,500 as a more reasonable number. To your other question, $400 for the doc fee is quite high. Typical I've found in NJ is $150.

They can't overcharge you registration. It is an estimate and they need to refund you any difference after the fact. I usually get a check for a few bucks back from a dealer.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    waters96waters96 Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2010
    I'm trying to buy a 2010 four-door RWD 328i sedan near San Francisco, CA.

Not much inventory left. The best deal I can find is $35,245 with metallic paint, automatic transmission, premium package, heated front seats, and Sirius radio as the only add ons.

Should I go for this, or try to make a better deal on a 2011?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    waters96waters96 Member Posts: 22
    The other option for me is leasing. On the BMWUSA website, this is the deal they list. What do you do to get them to improve that? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Well-equipped with Premium Package, Value Package, Automatic Transmission and Destination charges

$359*/month for 36 months
    Vehicle Registerd outside N.Y.
    $359 First months payment
    $3,500 Down payment
    $400 Security Deposit
    $725 Acquisition fee
    $4,984 Cash due at signing
  • Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    I just bought a 2007 CPO 328iT wagon with lots of goodies and 46,000 miles. Original price was $45k. They advertised it for $27k, I offered $23k, stood my ground and they accepted. Even if it is a Bimmer, the economy is still lousy and they will take $4-5k off what they advertise... just like a new car.

My guess is I could have gone $1k lower but I was comfortable with the price. It is a lot of car for $23k and a 2.5 year full warranty. Course, that new Nissan Sentra for the same price was compelling too.... or not.

I paid a $56 document fee.
  • Options
    jiteshdjiteshd Member Posts: 3
    yes it is a CPO. As you said, 24.5 seems to be a reasonable price. I will try to get him to 24.5k..

And thank for the doc fee answer. Is this doc fee always applied OR only if you do the car financing ? If I decide to pay all in cash, does the dealer still apply doc fee ? (In this case, i dont see any documentation on their part other than transferring the title and registration for which i am already paying 200 odd $ )
  • Options
    Its not always so cut and dry. They can only knock off $4k-$5k if they have overpriced it to such an extent.

For THAT car, trade-in value is only $17k. So, even at $23k CPO, they still made quite a strong profit.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Yes. Doc fee applies no matter what. The DMV fees are actual cost only. So the doc fees cover their administrative costs and running to the DMV, etc. (so they say)

• Options
    aranginwaranginw Member Posts: 2
    I just recently signed a very similar deal (no heated seat, but added the rear shades), Premium Package, Value Package, Automatic, (no navi) and got a much lower monthly lease (approx $410/month). Oh, and that was with 15K miles. I visited Westchester BMW and they couldn't match it. Try Pace BMW in Mamaroneck. That's where I got my deal and am happy with it. Are you sure you've jotted down everything that's coming with your car. How about Navigation? Maybe that's what's driving the monthly up.
    Either way, good luck. If you need any more info, let me know. This was my first lease so I may not have the answer, but I asked a lot of questions along the way.
  • Options
    aranginwaranginw Member Posts: 2
    Ooops, I didn't realize one tiny detail. I put about $3K down. Maybe it's not such a bad deal. Still try Pace, couldn't hurt.
  • Options
    jasatuclajasatucla Member Posts: 7
    So funny! Thinking about working with Pace now. Im in the final stages of reviewing my best deals. I'm going with the 328i x drive, auto, sedan, premium, value, heated steering, navigation, sirius. Should be an awesome ride.
  • Options
    bmwsrmylifebmwsrmylife Member Posts: 25
    Just got a deal from a dealer in Pittsburgh, PA

2011 328XI Prem Sport Valu...everything but convenience and HK sound

1k down 579 a month with PA (10.0%) TAX. 10k a year

should arrive in a couple days

i think its an awesome deal what do u think?....deal includes 1000 from BMW from the Ultimate Driving Event.
  • Options
    NY carguy. Thanks so much as that's my gut. It's a few days on a road course but it's fun as hell. I just found a 2006 with low miles optioned out for about my price. They will certify it next week and then I will pull the trigger. My only concern is that the 06s dont qualify for the special financing or the maintenace in the CPO program. Also it's out of the factory warranty but comes with the CPO warranty. I will try to negotiate a deal that would take those things into account.
  • Options
    That's really helpful as I'm essentially in the market for the exact same car!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A reporter seeks to interview Southern Californians who bought a certified pre-owned car and love it. Please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, July 19, 2010 if you care to share your story.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    Does anyone know what the best money factors are for July on the 2011 335 coupes? I am a current leasee and will be taking delivery in late July or early August.I am in the super elite tier and don't know where these money factors are posted as BMW has not used a tier system in a while
  • Options
    onthelimitonthelimit Member Posts: 2
    First off, this forum has been extremely valuable over the last few years to a frequent car buyer like me. So, thanks to all who contribute their experiences!

I'm looking to purchase a new 328i sedan fairly soon. I'll probably get the convenience pkg and moonroof. Edmunds invoice pegs it at around $35k. Wondering what prices you everyone paid and what I could reasonably shoot for. I was thinking $33K. Thoughts?
  • Options
    beemerfan123beemerfan123 Member Posts: 6
    Is there any incentive given on 2010 328xis by dealers. I just called up one dealer in NJ area and he said there is no incentive given by bmw at this point of time.

He quoted MSRP of 41,500 + tax.
    This car has Premium pkg + Logic 7 sound System

What is a good price to offer to the dealer for 2010 328xis?
  • Options
    I sell BMW everyday. The car holds about 2500.00. I wouldn't sell you the car for that but I would consider invoice plus the 2k trunk money if, you were sitting at my desk and to buy.
  • Options
    Nj BMW dealers are always talking trash. Go to another dealer besides this one. Either he doesn't know there's a 2000 incentive or he isn't telling you about it or, he just might be dumb. The car holds 2600 dollars. You should pull the trigger at anything greater than a total if 4300 total off msrp inc the 2k trunk money.
  • Options
    thavornthavorn Member Posts: 20
    Will any bmw dealer sell car invoice price in southern cal? Some makes and models go under invoice or few hundreds over invoice. What would be a good discount from 45k msrp 328i coupe ? Thanks
  • Options
    Are you ready to buy the car right now if you can get it for invoice?
  • Options
    beemerfan123beemerfan123 Member Posts: 6
    I talked to another dealer. and he offered me the 2010Xi for 38K out of the door.
    This car has Premium pkg + Logic 7 + Black saphire + value pkg

38k otd comes to the invoice price of 35,500. The invoice price as per edmunds is 38,400.

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    kevyry12kevyry12 Member Posts: 1
    Immaculate condition, 32,000 Miles for 17K. I think it was a great deal, but it didn't come with a Spare key or Floormats.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    It depends on how much the invoice is. 2011 328i auto, prem, sport, nav, dakota leather nothing else. Does edmunds have the right invoice number? Thanks
  • Options
    k_yk_y Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am planning to purchase a CPO 2007 328xi from a BMW dealer. The car has about 31k miles and the dealer is asking for $25k. Can anyone please tell me what is a good price to pay for this car?

Thanks.

(http://www.bmwofannarbor.com/certified/BMW/2007-BMW-328-bd8c4dd37f0000010093a8f- a1eca15bc.htm)
  • Options
    mtnbiker5mtnbiker5 Member Posts: 29
    I'm looking to pick up a new 328 Xi lease. I cant find what "others" are typically paying now. Looking for low mileage, Premium and cold weather package. Any feedback with how much money down and monthly payment ballparks would be helpful. I heard they are trying to move these cars now. Thanks.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,401
    Anyone know the maximum term for the promotional .09% CPO rate?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    0.9% for 24 months only. No other choices for CPO.