Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Titan

Comments

• Options
    auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    In your in-law's heart I bet he is really interested in owning a Titan for himself someday. I hope that the conversation will end without getting too sore on both of you so someday when your in-law owns a Titan or other non-US brand truck he would smile to you and say, "My son-in-law, Do you want to take a look at my new vehicle?"

If he does not turn out to be that way...maybe his grandson will buy a non-US brand vehicle and say to you, "Uncle, do you want to take a look...?"
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i was in jackson, MS right before christmas. the suppliers for the titan/armada/quest are all right around the plant...literally. the only components that are built elsewhere are the engine (tennessee), and the 5-speed trannies (japan). there may be a little widget here, or a sprocket there somewhere else, but thats about it.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    bowke, A salesperson will use any negotiating tactic (note: I didn't say trick) he can think of to make the best deal for the dealership. Right? But it's wrong for the consumer to educate themselves regarding holdback, and in some instances use that as leverage? A little one sided, I think. All my new vehicles have been ordered. The dealership never had them in thier posession more than a day. Not a whole lot of floor plan to consider here.
  • Options
    i dont have a problem with a buyer knowing about holdback...as long as they KNOW about it. the average buyer knows there is extra money, but doesnt know that its not a set or fixed amount, and not even guaranteed to be there on every car. therefore, it cant be negotiated consistently. what i have a problem with is people making blanket statements and only half-educating others. this only leads to frustration.

imagine, if you will.....

average lurker sees someone say that holdback on most cars is 2 1/2-3%. poor lurker goes and picks out an aged unit that has none left, and tells the dealer that they KNOW about the holdback. dealer says that there is none, and the buyer leaves in a huff, wondering what went wrong.
  • Options
    triattriat Member Posts: 121
    Toyota is doing the same thing here in the Hill Country. The Tundra plant will be in San Antonio, but Toyota is negotiating with many local firms around the area. The latest, Toyota just signed a local company in Round Rock(N.E. Austin) for plastic parts I believe interior door trim panels & such....
  • Options
    billarnoldbillarnold Member Posts: 9
    Static10 would love to have that phone number for finding information on ordered trucks...thanks
  • Options
    static10static10 Member Posts: 3
    Here is the number I have for contacting Nissan. Like I said good luck as it does take them a while to get back with you and it was the same answer my dealer had but it is worth a try.
    1-800-647-7261. Use option 7 then use option 4. They will tell you to talk to your dealer but tell them you really would like them to check for you also. Good luck.
  • Options
    karlconnellkarlconnell Member Posts: 14
    I put on the fog light kit for the Titan today and it was a breeze...it literally took me 15-20 minutes. It's as easy as pulling out the rubber covers that are currently on, snapping the lights in to each side while also using a 5mm nut on each side to make sure they stay, and plugging in the connectors that are prewired to the lights...then there are 3 screws on the steering column that you take out, pull off the top cover, unplug the turn signal lever and install the new one and you're done. Piece of cake!

The kit is normally $199 (I got 10% off at our local Nissan parts dept).

Karl
  • Options
    That's incredible! An aftermarket item installation so easy & well engineered by the manufacturer!! The more I learn about the Titan, the more impressed I become. And I don't even have one yet.

How bright are they, can you notice the difference?

Thanks again! Michael
  • Options
    Just went by the dealer. Some more CC's starting to come in now. Hopefully mine comes in soon. If it doesn't come in soon, might just get the dealer to order.

The 5 KC's still sitting there!
  • Options
    cwleighcwleigh Member Posts: 8
    Sorry I was so slow to reply... Appreciate the input.
    Chris
  • Options
    They are just as bright as the regular beams and they flood the ground to provide great overall visibility...you can certainly tell a difference.
  • Options
    tbeechertbeecher Member Posts: 31
    The fog light are really cool. The Titan sits very high so the fogs do a very nice job of filling in the area under the headlights.
  • Options
    matzeitmmatzeitm Member Posts: 9
    I finally test drove all three trucks I was considering on the same day. The contenders were the Titan, the Tundra and the F150. See my comments on the Titan/F150 and Titan/Tundra threads for some basic comments. My wife and I rated the three trucks as follows.

1. Titan
    2. Tundra
    3. F150

The decision has been made. The new truck will be a Titan. Just need to look around for pricing now. I think that Sparkle Red in Canada is the same as Red Brawn in the US. Can anyone confirm this? This is the color I will likely order.
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    I think this is correct; at least it will be close. I ordered a sparkle red CC SE 4X4 with the offroad package.
  • Options
    jwilli420jwilli420 Member Posts: 22
    Just curious about the spray-in bedliner since it is not an option on a XE and only a SE, and standard on the LE. The only thing available is the drop-in bedliner. Just curious
  • Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    Questions for anybody

Does the Soft box cover (tonneau) nissan shows on their website fit with the utility tracks?

What other types (other manufacturers) of low box covers - soft/hard are available for a CC with the utility track system?

One of the problems with my Bed extender that I had on my Fronty CC was you couldn't use it for items that were taller than it (like quads) because of the way they had to be installed. Does the sliding Extender solve this problem?
  • Options
    tbeechertbeecher Member Posts: 31
    My LE has the sprayed-in bedliner. It is really thin but it is guaranteed by Nissan.

My Ford Ranger had a Rhinoliner. It was about 1/2 inch thick. Much more substantial. If I remember correctly it was about $500 U$ in 1998.

http://www.rhinolinings.com/

Tony
  • Options
    rx1234rx1234 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me exactly what happens when the Tow/Haul Mode button is pushed? Please no guessing.
  • Options
    aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    I went by the local dealer, but they had no silver trucks at all. They did have a few XE's though which I got to look at in person, a black crew and a white KC. I really like they way they look. The chrome still looks cheap to me.
  • Options
    how people say the chrome looks cheap. the bumper is actual chromed steel...DEFINITELY not cheap.
  • Options
    aggiemph1aggiemph1 Member Posts: 56
    The Titan would look better and classier if they had put their 'chromed steel' on just the grill and left the bumper alone. As it is, the chrome bumper gives the Titan a chin bigger than Bruce Campbell.

And FWIW, I am not loyal to any brand of vehicle. What I go for is value/quality wherever I can find it, and if it looks good, so much the better. I am not biased against Nissan or any other manufacturer, so please no accusations.
  • Options
    most people are genuinely surprised when i knock on the bumper of the armada/titan. they are so jaded by chrome colored plastic that they automatically assume that the bumper is plastic.
  • Options
    rx, using tow/haul mode changes the shift patterns of the 5 speed tranny to provide more pulling power in lower gears...essentially allowing the engine to rev higher before up-shifting while also letting it go a little deeper into the accelerator when trying to increase speed before down-shifting. Thus, it eliminates much of the shifting associated with searching for the correct gear.
  • Options
    Thanks for looking! :)

I've been trying to watch dealer inventories in Houston, Dallas & S.Antonio, but the dealers aren't consistent with listing descriptions. Most list KC VS CC, some list SE vs LE, but almost none list the options...

I've been patient 7 weeks. Tommorrow I tell my dealer to order or I walk...!

At my dealer Titans parked same row as Armadas so good opportunity to see different grille/bumper paint combos. I think full chrome looks decent on lighter colors. But I still think XE monochromatic appearance is best. I wonder if Nissan adjusts '05s? Since I'm so close now. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    pluckyewpluckyew Member Posts: 2
    we're seeing 8 city/15 highway mpg, 1st 1000 miles.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    14 avg for me...2wd with 3.36 rear end.

pluckyew seems to be at the extreme for his mileage...doesn't pass the smell test to me as it got 8.5mpg towing a 6,000 lb+ trailer up and down a steep grade.

Karl
  • Options
    atcnickatcnick Member Posts: 4
    Whats the deal with the Sunroof on a Titan. Do I really have to get the DVD package and the side air bags if I want a sunroof? Is that a money making scheme or what? Is there a way around that besides an aftermarket sunroof?

Nick
  • Options
    atcnickatcnick Member Posts: 4
    How do you go about ordering a Titan from a dealer? What are some mistakes to avoid? Is the price negotiable when you order? Any info would be appreciated.

Nick
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A good place to look for tips and tricks on pricing, negotiation, and anything else you might want to avoid or not miss during the shopping process would be the Smart Shopper Message Board.

Just follow that link and you'll find active topics on all aspects of purchasing a new vehicle. A lot of dealers hang out there as well so they'll be able to answer a lot of questions you may have!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • Options
    Picked it up last night! It's a little more than I expected, I have an LE!(See buying experiences!) It is beautiful! CC,LE, Brawny Red!

I'm still finding additional features I inherited with the LE! The sub woofer under the driver's seat is something else. Compass/Outside temp on the mirror is nice. Fit & Finish are perfect throughout.

Karl, I guess I'm not going to be doing a foglight install after all! But I have spread your instructions to several folks already! I hope you don't mind? And yes, they are nice! Rainy night last night & they came in handy! Thanks!

I can't remember being so happy with a new vehicle purchase. This truck is just all around nice, comfortable, supportive seats...etc and refined. Well worth the wait
  • Options
    durocabdurocab Member Posts: 21
    Congrats triat! I also love the temp guage,woofer, and a lot of other extras..I'm not prone to read instructions at first so I'm still discovering "extras" you get with the Titan. The bed system will really be appreciated when you haul something. Oh, and the lights at the tailgate and "hot" 12 volt outlet have already been used by me. Great idea, plus one of the 12 volt sockets on console remains active even with key off..great for charging phones etc.
    Have you checked out Titantalk.com?
  • Options
    Congrats triat...glad to see you finally were able to get into the club. I love that red by the way, and it sounds like you got a great deal as well.

Post some pic's when you have a chance.

Karl
  • Options
    i kinda figured you would find the LE before an SE.
  • Options
    twinbladesztwinbladesz Member Posts: 104
    On the new truck Triat. It will be some time before I can purchase my Aramada but look forward to reading how the Titan does nice truck.
  • Options
    Durocab, you're right! Yesterday this guy walks up and pointing at the rear headliner asks how do I like the controls & do they interfere with the front? Huh, rear controls?!! I have rear controls? Hmm, sure enough there are independent rear radio controls! The guy probably thought I was whacked!!

Bowke, by the time I loaded an SE, it was only about $2,000 more for "stripped" LE. It was about $500 for me in my situation. I feel fortunate.

Ok, first day to work report: Yesterday I got to use the A/C, and this morning the heat. Both very fast to start up, and quick reacting to subtle dial changes. Better than the Tundra. The "cheap" dials have fine precise and accurate increments. They work perfect thank you! The fan is silent, you only hear air passing through ducts on highest speeds.

At first the gas pedal toe-in was a bit "jumpy". However my foot is adjusting quickly. Much smoother launches 70% of different situations. It will get better as I adapt more. I like silky smooth starts. Speaking of silky smooth starts, the engine & transmission combination is absolutely great. Way better than Tundra...

More reviews later!
  • Options
    tung579tung579 Member Posts: 14
    jwilli420,
    This option should be also available to XE. I ordered my XE CC with this option; M97 is the option code.
  • Options
    liqdxstnceliqdxstnce Member Posts: 5
    15-17MPG

I drive easy around town and 75-80MPH on the highway.
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    15-17 MPG? I could definitely live with that considering the performance this truck delivers. I wonder what the MPG is when you drive this thing aggressively or two a medium size trailer.
  • Options
    tung579tung579 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,

I wonder if it requires a "special" front mud guards for a crew cab with running boards pre-installed?

On some vehicles, the running boards are in fact "wrapped/covered" by the front mud guards. I don't know if it is similar on the Titan crew cab.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I've had the Titan only 10 days or so, about 170 miles; but I can say already the Titan is a great daily driver. Lots of power,slick 5 speed tansmission is smooth and intuitive, brakes are solid & modulate well, steering a little heavy but precise and tracks well. I prefer heavier steering that tracks well rather than light steering that you have to constantly make small corrections. The seats are great, excellent support. It's the easiest to get in & out of. A/C & heater work great-excellent controls. Great visibility out the windows, nice ride blend of firm but not jittery. The frame doesn't creak or flex when I turn into the driveway like the Tundra did. Titan frame feels like a rock. I've hit one notable pot hole, the truck didn't flinch. The Fosgate stereo is Great!! All around great vehicle. Well worth the 7 weeks I had to wait!

I'll update more about mileage & such. The dealer filled the tank up last week so I still haven't put gas in the truck yet....
  • Options
    softstorsoftstor Member Posts: 13
    I am considering purchasing a Titan, Off-Road, 4WD. If I purchase a vehicle with almost 0 miles on it, how many miles should be put on the vehicle prior to towing a 5000 lb trailer?
  • Options
    My owner's manual says "Do not tow a trailer for 800km/500mi.

Break-in is 1,200 miles. I would wait at least that long. But then I'm rather picky about break-in for the eng/trans and seating brakes..etc.

Hope this helps, Michael
  • Options
    jake696jake696 Member Posts: 111
    The Armada got dinged by Consumer Reports for ride, gas mileage, visibility, engine noise, turning radius and squeeks and rattles, in the latest report. (March) 13 mpg's overall...wonder how the Titan will do when the annual auto issue comes out in April?
  • Options
    jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Did I understand this right? An 04' Titan 4x4 LE
    WITHOUT the off-road option comes with the 18" tire/rim setup. But WITH the off-road pkg.,
    the truck comes with 17" tire/rims? Seems to me the tire setup should be just the opposite. BIGGER tires/rims WITH the off-road setup. And comments would be appreciated.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I don't know what size the tire is that's being offered, but just because the wheel is smaller it doesn't mean that overall diameter of the tire/wheel will be smaller.

It's likely that the 18" wheel will be running a low profile tire that will be a lot less flexible than a higher profile tire on a 17" wheel. A flexible tire is an asset offroad, especially when aired down.

Perhaps someone can chip in with the actual tire sizes offered?
  • Options
    kjdenahykjdenahy Member Posts: 16
    they actually put smaller tires and rims on the off-road packages for greater manueverability. Most manufacturers do this.
  • Options
    the off-road tires are:

P285/70R17 B.F. Goodrich® Rugged Trail®

the standard tires on the SE and LE are:

P265/70R18

the standard tires on the XE are:

P245/75R17

when you are going off-road, your traction improves with more tire "meat". this is the reason.
  • Options
    cwleighcwleigh Member Posts: 8
    I am very interested in purchasing a Titan and have been studying... One thing I noticed in the dimension section of the Nissan web page is that there is no difference in overall height and ground clearance with the offroad package. This, in my mind, supports Mac24's statement about larger rims/shorter sidewalls and smaller rims with taller sidewalls...
    Chris