Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• Options
    docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Bart: Just find a big expensive SUV (like a Range Rover or Escalade) to park next to (with the SUV on the sunward side). They spent a lot of money on their car, too, so they won't bang yours.

I would have said a Hummer, but Hummer owners obviously have more money than sense and probably woudn't care if they dented their own car while bumping yours. Do Hummers dent, anyway?
  • Options
    bsc1bsc1 Member Posts: 32
    Yes- got a survey in the mail on Saturday- less than 2 weeks after delivery of car.
  • Options
    bsc1bsc1 Member Posts: 32
    I was told the all-weather mats are on back order
  • Options
    ivyfchuivyfchu Member Posts: 21
    Guys, thanks for all the replies helping me to solve this problem. Now I got the cool half circle swing back!

I have one other question if you all don't mind:

The automatic up/down feature of the rear driver side window seems to be not functioning properly as it will go auto down but it will not go auto up; the other 3 windows seem to work just fine. Any suggestions?

BTW, richcream, I have received my followup survey from infiniti a couple of weeks ago and have already sent it back.
  • Options
    richcreamrichcream Member Posts: 205
    I called my dealer and he said the survey is in the mail.

Whatever. If it's not here in another week or so, I'll pop in to pick up my mats anyway.

As far as your window situation, the car has to be reprogrammed so the auto function works with each window. I'm not sure if it was on edmunds or on freshalloy.com forums, but someone posted how to do it yourself. Nothing to do with the menu, just a 3 step process of working the up/down controls. I'll look for it and post it if I find it.
  • Options
    creditmancreditman Member Posts: 23
    I had the same problem last week with my nav system. I programmed a route and the nav system had me located over 10 miles east of the my current location. I knew where i was going so it wasn't a problem. About 3 miles from the programmed route, the system kicked in with the current street address.

I had the same problem with my other nav system in my prior lexus. According to the techno geeks at lexus, they said that the gps system couldn't read the car's location due to cloudy skies.
  • Options
    ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2 week old m35x. I am using premium right now. My first week was ~16 mpg, the second week is 17-18 mpg. I do lots of short distance trips (work is only 8 miles from home) with occasional weekend trip. I do find the real-time mpg graphic very interesting and even distracting. It is very interesting to see what speeds and driving habits are more fuel efficient. I have noticed some uneven shifting of the auto transmission at low speeds in the first week but it seems better in this second week.
    Things really cruise well on the highway though (Garden state parkway).
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "Do Hummers dent, anyway?"

I'm sure at least the GM derived ones do. I wouldnt put it past an H1 (especially Alpha) owner to just drive over a sedan that might be in the way though.
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Has anyone heard why Infiniti removed the option for checking inventories at dealerships from their web site?
  • Options
    scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    I talked to my service tech today about the wheel & tire warranty and he did not recommend it. He said that he is the one who approves any claim of damage that is made to the company.He said that the wheel is only replaced if the tire will not hold air pressure. According to him dents, scratches and other cosmetic blemishes are not covered. He also said that while it is a 5 year warranty it only applies to the original OEM tires. Once they are replaced the second or third set of tires is not covered. I believe the company offering the coverage at my dealership is Intire.

Has anyone purchased a plan from this company and checked the "fine print" to see what it does and doesn't cover?I plan on stopping by the dealership tomorrow to pick up a brochure to read closely what is covered.
  • Options
    monstergermmonstergerm Member Posts: 23
    Check out the wheel and tire insurance from http://www.mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=295

It covers not only the original tires but all subsequent tires. I am not sure about scratches - my guess it is not covered since it falls under curb damage. I think it is a good price in view of each tire costing more than $300 and I don't even want to know how much a wheel costs.
    You just call them up to send you the application form, does not matter what state you are in or what car you have.
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Within a week. Too soon for me to comment on the fact that the salespeople should be better informed about the intricacies of the car's tech features. But the entire buying/leasing process was seamless.
  • Options
    blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Thanks, doc, but the sun moves (even here). You're right about picking your parking spot ... I always park next to new expensive rides for self defense. And I avoid two-door cars. Somehow my wife's Lexus GS doesn't get as lucky. I guess it's a woman thing.
  • Options
    gfish1gfish1 Member Posts: 3
    What's the best deal that anyone has seen in the bay area for a std G35? I was offered $500 off MSRP in San Jose, CA. There's got to be a better deal around here.

The regional differences can't compensate for the $1500 under MSRP or $800 over invoice posts I've seen.

thanks,
    Greg
  • Options
    sportstersportster Member Posts: 13
    an m35:
    that way, this way, that way, this -
    and it passes by.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    ahh, culture in the world of cars...well done sportster!

-thene :)
  • Options
    mrivisionmrivision Member Posts: 22
    I tested the trunk at my dealer with golf bags before I bought my M35x. I got 2 full sized golf bags in without any problem. I did not have a third to try but suspect it would fit. Go to your dealer and try for yourself.

My car is only 2 months old but the paint seems fine.

When you buy the upgraded stereo system (I do not remember if it is Journey or Tech, I have both, you get aux inputs behind the center console for audio and video. Just plug your iPod in and select aux inout from the DVD list and away you go. As I have previously posted, I had my dealer install (through a 3rd party) aux inout jacks and a spare 12 volt socket inside the center console. A little balky at first since the installer kept pinching wires when putting the console back together but now everything is fine. This aux input is definitively a nice feature. I look forward to the day however when these manufacturers let you completely control the iPod through the car LCD interface.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    I drive a lot of short trip, local routes. I would say I am averaging 17+ mpg now. When I do more long distance highway driving (recently a 160 mile trip), I have gotten as high as 21 mpg (this includes some local driving). My 35x has about 2300 miles on it.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    And I'm not feelin' it like I thought I would. Seems like there's way too many colors goin' on. You got bourbon seats w/ a black center armrest up front and bourbon armrest in the rear and light grey headliner and black seatbelts. :sick: And to top it off, the rosewood is on the verge of clashing with the bourbon. I just plain don't like the aluminum trim, so that's not an option.

I can't do black on a daily basis. The wheat is too soft/feminine. And the stone is just too boring (I already have a similar color interior). I hate to say it, but looks like the interior colors are gonna chase me off. :cry: Now what am I gonna do?? :confuse: The A6 4.2 and M45 have both made the E500 look like a really bad value, so I can't go there. The RL is completely out of the question; back seat is just way too small. I haven't tried a 545i and don't want to either; it's as bad a value as the E500, not to mention its looks just don't do it for me.

After following the A6 boards, I'm really worried about the reliability of the new A6 based on past A6s. [I don't do leases anymore.] The only thing left is to go "down market".

2005+ VW Touareg V8 - reliability history just as shaky as the A6, if not moreso.
    2006 Dodge Magnum RT or SRT8(when it comes)
    300C SRT8 - gas mileage is atrocious for a daily driver.

Uhh... That's about it that I can think of. I sort of have myself backed into a corner. I want midsize or larger, V8, RWD. What else is left that fits into that category, guys? Dodge Charger is a no-go, too.
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    The links are actually posted in the LPS thread; I just happened to be in the RL Forum.
  • Options
    Buy the AWD. In the long run it makes a lot more sense. Most RWD luxury vehicles seem to have a terrible time in the snow.
  • Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,508
    Well done!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kmg68kmg68 Member Posts: 108
    I am not crazy about the color combinations that Infinity currently has to offer, however considering the alternatives, I will probably bite the bullet and buy the M. What about the Lexus GS for you? The backseat may be too small on it as well, but the interior color combinations are great!
  • Options
    vgxvgx Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the answers from everyone!! Besides actual performance (haven't taken it for a drive yet) those were my only question marks on this car! I appreciate the quality feedback.
  • Options
    scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know if you subscribe to xm or sirus with the Infiniti M, you would be able to get a home boom box under the same subscription to pick up the satellite stations when not driving the car? Or do you have to get a second subscription.

The after market units allow you to go between home and car.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I can only address the answer for Sirius. My wife's new BMW came with Sirius -- we received a letter in the mail that gave us a userid and password. I took our high speed internet connection into my laptop and bought a stereo mini plug to dual mono RCA plugs and plugged into my home theater AVP and ta da, Sirius at "near CD quality" -- which is to say better and quieter than the best FM, but not up to the best CD. For semi critical listening, it is great. I am not certain that the limitations are the format itself or not, but in any case there is no cost and it is now piped throughout my house -- at no additional cost.

We love channel 16, the vault.
  • Options
    pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    -------------------------
    Does anyone know if you subscribe to xm or sirius with the Infiniti M, you would be able to get a home boom box under the same subscription to pick up the satellite stations when not driving the car?
    -------------------------

In a word no.

However, when you're a subscriber to XM or Sirius you do get free access to their on-line music service. In XM's case, that service includes additional music stations, if memory serves. Also for XM, additional subscriptions beyond the the first one (for additional radios, independently of the online service) are at the reduced family plan rate of $6.99/month. I don't know what Sirius charges for those additional subs, but I do know it's also at a reduced rate.

Pete

(What do you mean "snuck" cheerioboy? :) )
  • Options
    cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    Matk answered the question about the free internet streaming - though it is just the music stations on Sirius. If you want one of the portable boomboxes you need to purchase a plug and play receiver to put in the boombox and pay an additional $6.99/month. You could then use the plug and play receiver with in another car with a car kit and move it to/from the boombox. I don't know how XM handles Internet broadcasts except that it is now included in their new subscription rate of 12.95 (same as Sirius, before discounts they both have for prepaid plans).

edit - pete snuck his reply in there while I was typing ;)
  • Options
    The previous A6 was pretty bad when it comes to reliability...but you cant really compare a new model to an old one. I'm hardly the person who would rush out to defend Audi, but CR's latest scores on the A4 havent been bad, and their 2005 JD power IQ score wasnt bad either. Avoid the Toureg though, they seem to fall apart right off the lot. If the 300C SRT8's miserable mpg isnt for you, the Magnum SRT8 wont be any better. The 6.1L Hemi is just not a fuel efficient engine. It doesnt really matter what car its shoved into. Have you considered the GS430?

Also, if you're considering the Toureg, its hardly the only midsize cross over SUV with a V8. There's also the SRX V8, the new ML500, and Volvo's new XC90 V8. If you want one that handles more like a sports sedan, there's Infiniti's FX45. There's also the X5, but thats due for replacement, and its reliability hasnt been all that great either.
  • Options
    Thanks, lexusguy. I have considered the GS430. I've driven it and it moves out smartly, but it just doesn't feel like enough sport in my sport sedan. It's still a Lexus through and through. That and the back seat is about as small as the RL's. Not to mention the trunk is just plain ridiculous. I didn't think they could've made it more impractical than the last one, but they proved me wrong.

I know the Magnum SRT8 will have awful mileage like the 300C SRT8, but (if it turns out like the concept) it's going to be so cool looking that I might be able to make the sacrifice. :shades: As far as other SUV/X-over vehicles, I'm honestly not all that into them, but the Touareg is just a really nice vehicle, IMO. That would more than likely be the only SUV I'd buy. And it's actually offroadable.

The FX45 is just too, umm, dramatic looking for me; not to mention not very practical. Might as well get a car.
  • Options
    The FX45 is just too, umm, dramatic looking for me; not to mention not very practical. Might as well get a car.

I currently have an '04 FX35 (loaded w/ everything) as my daily driver. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the car and the Infiniti Dealership has been great to me; however there is no passion. I just can't get over the "blahs" about it - hence my looking into a sport sedan (GS, RL, or M).
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    How come none of these glowing reviewers address the issue of absolutely dismal gas mileage I've been reading about on this thread. You would think the car was an SUV!
  • Options
    I wouldn't call the mileage they're getting "dismal." And it's rare that anyone who actually "has fun" driving a car will achieve those overestimated EPA mileage figures. And the way I'm understanding it is that none of the M owners are driving like little old men.

To what are you comparing their mileage?
  • Options
    To me 16 or 17 mpg is dismal. Road and Track got 16.3mpg in their test of the M45 sport.
    I have fun driving my 325i in a quite exhilarating way and getting 26 mpg to boot. Where I live, some of those "little old men" as you put it are driving Porsche Boxsters and Corvettes and not too slowly I might add.
  • Options
    So you're saying you're getting 26MPG around town? Wow! That's approaching hybrid territory.
  • Options
    What town? I live in the suburbs. If I lived in a city, I would be using whatever public transportation was available.
    To get to the nearest good restaurant, I have to travel 20 miles.
  • Options
    Welcome to V8 land. With the pedal to the floor, you can literally watch the fuel gauge drop in an XKR.
  • Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Most of these reviews offer subjective differences to separate the vehicles, those that use a point grading system do not separate the cars substantially. When you look at absolutes in each review, such as time/speed to/at 1/4 mile, and truck volume there is little difference between the top two or three. Which truly shows how exceptional all these vehicles really are. The Car & Driver review I believe states something to the effect of the dash lay out reminding them of an ATM. For USA Today's reviews, Healey's statements wouldn't be ones I'd hang my hat on, his reviews lack detail and offer kiddy lingo.

Most people simply quote these reviews to justify that their purchase is the "right one"
  • Options
    Yes. That is the big problem with V8's. It seems though that some posters have been disappointed at the low mpg they have been getting with the M45. What did they expect? They should have done their homework before signing on the dotted line, apparently.
  • Options
    lounacllounacl Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone seen the posted 0-60mph times for the M35x. I currently have a Audi 2.7t, which is coming off lease in Sept. I'm not impressed with the new A6 3.2, but I do like the performance of my 2.7t. If the M35x times were the same or better, then my decision is easy.
  • Options
    Okay. So your particular situation doesn't apply. Your mileage is basically highway mileage. And on such a small displacement 6 cylinder, what you're getting is to be expected at a minimum. The M guys with the low mileage are experiencing that in around town driving. And what they are seeing is to be expected in a V8 or high strung 6 cylinder. Not to mention these cars aren't exactly slim and trim.
  • Options
    20 miles to the nearest good restaraunt? How many to the nearest traffic light?

You're either an extremely selective diner or you have a very loose definition of suburbia, no?

In any case, it sounds like you have plenty of road to rip around on. Great MPG.
  • Options
    How come none of these glowing reviewers address the issue of absolutely dismal gas mileage I've been reading about on this thread. You would think the car was an SUV!

OK, I'm confused :confuse: How far back in this thread do I have to go to find these dismal mpg reports??

I just went back 5-6 pages and only found three folks who reported their mileage.
    1) M45 - 22.6 in mountainous highway driving.
    2) M35x - 18 mpg in city driving
    3) M35x - 17 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway
  • Options
    M35x, 1900 miles, 15.5 mpg city driving. Premium gas only

I'm rarely below 3,000 rpms.
    When I do encounter any 'open' road, I drive like the cops are chasing me. ;)
  • Options
    According to my BMW on-board computer, I am averaging 25.8 mpg over 333 miles at an average speed of 36.3 mph. Unfortunately the computer is also telling me it is a humid 82 degrees fahrenheit
    out there.
    It's 1.6 miles to the nearest traffic light on a state road with a 45 mph speed limit. The interstate here(3 miles away on the state road) has a posted limit of 70 mph and to find anything decent like the malls, movie theaters, etc; you must take it north or south around 20 miles.
    Last night I ate out and I kid you not the restaurant was at least 40 miles away. Got there in 50 minutes.
    I could probably get 20 mpg or so in the M45. Yes it is tempting.
    I do believe a BMW 3 is the perfect car for where I live. I would get another one except for the fact that the new one is unbearably ugly, has grabby brakes and has limited front legroom.
    I'm thinking of the X5 because the kind of driving I do, I could probably squeeze 20 mpg out of it also.
    I must decide within a month.
  • Options
    What I'm saying is it's too bad that a superb high performance vehicle like the M45 sport has to be wasted plodding through an urban environment. I would be completely frustrated if I had that car in my former haunting grounds of NYC(stop and go) and LI.
    I was back on LI about a month ago and the Nassau County police must have a reign of terror going on there because no vehicles were going more than 65mph on a wide open Northern State Parkway.
    All those BMW 5's and 7's, Boxsters,etc; afraid to let it out a bit.
    I have to admit, I have yet to see any new M's or GS's in Florida or NY except at the showrooms.
    I went to this haughty restaurant last night and checked the parking lot but no M's or GS's.
  • Options
    untrueuntrue Member Posts: 18
    Consider that going from 15.5 to 25-26 is something like a 70% improvement. That could account for our whole trade deficit if people just ditched their SUVS and V8s. I am not advocating driving Geo Metros or anything but driving anything below 20mpg is simple irresponsible when you consider the state our country is in because of our dependence in foreign oil. My 02 C230 Kompressor gets 25mpg city and 30+ highway and it's a pretty spunky car to drive. The same car with the V6 and auto gets 17 city and 22-25 highway. Even that is 15-25% which is huge if you add it up. My V8 740i used to get 17.8 combined.
  • Options
    Go back further. I seem to recall one guy who seemed to be in a panic because he was only getting 15 mpg-probably a lot of stop and go urban driving.