Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @sandman_6472 sounds like you have an good plan ahead now to convince your wife now and not to wate!
  • Options
    @xwesx man!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited October 2017

@xwesx man!

No big deal - I knew this was part of the risk of making the investment; I'll still get ROI, but it is a pittance of what it would have been. The sad thing, honestly, is that there were nearly 600,000 vehicles involved in this "scandal," and 40,000 of them were treated differently. Why? Seems asinine to me. It is ridiculous that a scant 7% of owners would not have the option of a buyback.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    xwesx said:

@xwesx man!

No big deal - I knew this was part of the risk of making the investment; I'll still get ROI, but it is a pittance of what it would have been. The sad thing, honestly, is that there were nearly 600,000 vehicles involved in this "scandal," and 40,000 of them were treated differently. Why? Seems asinine to me. It is ridiculous that a scant 7% of owners would not have the option of a buyback.
    Because they were able to fix it.. that was always the "guess". That the DEF cars would have a fix available, but the others wouldn't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    still haven't heard from the dumb dealer about the paperwork for my new car. Though I think the SM handling it was off today. Need to call tomorrow morning, and if they are not all set, will take it as a sign to call my other dealers I was talking to and see if they want to match the deal or be close enough to ask for my deposit back (just on a CC so can always contest it that way) and move on. One issue is the incentives are big this month, and if they drop in November would not work out well for me.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @stickguy , if it makes you feel better, I can't ring the "punch" bell yet either :(.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    kyfdx said:

Because they were able to fix it.. that was always the "guess". That the DEF cars would have a fix available, but the others wouldn't.

All of them, or nearly all of them (read 600K, not just the 3L), could be fixed. That was never questioned right from the start! This whole buyback travesty was simply a way to stick it to VAG for their audacity. As such, it doesn't make sense for the regulators to actually follow through on throwing them a bone just to stick it to a small percentage of owners in the process.

My bet was on them delaying approval until after buyback became an option. Sadly, they must have spent too much time in the pool and suffered irreversible nut-shrivel. I always planned to get rid of the car either way; in this case, though, I walk away with about half of what I should have.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    edited October 2017
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

All of them, or nearly all of them (read 600K, not just the 3L), could be fixed. That was never questioned right from the start! This whole buyback travesty was simply a way to stick it to VAG for their audacity. As such, it doesn't make sense for the regulators to actually follow through on throwing them a bone just to stick it to a small percentage of owners in the process.

My bet was on them delaying approval until after buyback became an option. Sadly, they must have spent too much time in the pool and suffered irreversible nut-shrivel. I always planned to get rid of the car either way; in this case, though, I walk away with about half of what I should have.
    I know it is a blow that the buy back option fizzled. If you like the Audi, and based upon what I've read along with the improvements you've made to it, why not keep it? It is a well built and good performing vehicle that will be hard to replace.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    @sda - this is actually the outcome my Dad was hoping for. A reason to be able to keep it and really mile the heck out of it. He drives about 25k miles a year - puts 5k on his Porsche 968 and 20k on the TDI. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    @xwesx I no I no chance you took!
  • Options
    @xwesx how has the weather bin whair you are? bin worm ranny today so have bin lucky!
  • Options
    @stickguy hoping when you call tomero they have your paperwork in order and you will be able to pick up your new ride! if not like you said alwas other dealers!
  • Options
    @carnaught hoping all works out for you on the posabal punch! we are all pulling for you in hear!
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    kyfdx said:

xwesx said:

@xwesx man!

Hadn't they already decided at the time most of us bought the 2.0 models that they weren't fixable? I thought the proposed settlement was to give the 2.0 owners the option of a buyback or a fix, if a reasonable fix could be developed. And to either fix the 3.0 vehicles, or, if they couldn't be fixed, to do a buyback on them, as well. It's been a while since I read the settlement documents.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Actually, they couldn't "fix" the 2.0 models. They just gave them a pass for not meeting the standards. Even with the "fix", they still emit double the emissions allowed.

If by "audacity", you mean "criminal behavior", then yes... they stuck it to them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited October 2017
    kyfdx said:

If by "audacity", you mean "criminal behavior", then yes... they stuck it to them.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Again, doesn't make sense that they threw them a bone for 7% of the vehicles at the owners' expense.

So, let's see if I can get through the rest of these...

@sda - I like it, but would never have bought it as a keeper. It has a fantastic engine slapped on a ho-hum body that makes for a terrible SUV. It's basically a large sedan that weighs 50% more. No thanks. I would rather get back my ROI on the Passat (currently tied up in this) and get it reinvested. Besides, it makes me a little nervous about the DEF system that I already had to replace under the settlement warranty... I doubt my subarctic climate is kind on that system with all the freeze/thaw cycles.

@Marcothecarguy1986 - Weather is nice currently. It's a little under freezing, with "freezing rain" forecast for the next couple of days. We were down to about zero for a week or so, which makes this stuff feel balmy. AND, another reason to not keep the Q7: I love driving on slick roads! The Q7 does not share my enthusiasm. The stability control is highly invasive, and turning it off makes it just slightly less invasive.

And, probably the best reason to get rid of it: I promised my wife (before we even bought it) that it would go regardless of the settlement outcome. I know her expectation has not changed!
  • Options
    @28firefighter nice cars that your dad has!
  • Options
    @xwesx glad to hear the weather is good for now man you have had the up and down cold cold wow! it is what it is! what would yioyu get to replace the Outy SUV or just have one less car?
  • Options
    @stickguy any word from the dealer today?
  • Options
    @nyccarguy so did you get the Pilet home and out of the shop was it still what you did say only!
  • Options

Yup. Title work arrived, so we are all set to go. Picking the car up Thursday evening.

Nice bonus having the delivery delayed. Saved me a big chunk of change. Got my Uber approval in this week, and have what I need for that incentive. SM said no problem applying it, so worked out in my favor.

• Options
    edited October 2017

@carnaught hoping all works out for you on the posabal punch! we are all pulling for you in hear!

Thanks @Marcothecarguy1986. Stay tunned...maybe Fri. or this weekend??

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited October 2017
    FIL is in need of some assistance. He has been looking to trade his MGM with 115k miles for something a bit less used. The challenge is that he told me he does not like true bucket seats. His MGM has the split bench and that is what he likes. Everything else feels too cramped.

Aside from a lower-mileage Panther car (or truck), what options does he have? So far, keeping within the past decade, I have only identified the Lucerne and Impala (and I'm pretty sure he would not be interested in the latter). I tried to find a DTS equipped as such, but no luck.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    @stickguy nice nice this is all grate news! you got your Uber rebate approved and you are getting the car tonight!
  • Options
    @carnaught you are welcome! will deff stay toned!
  • Options
    @qbrozen hmm have to think about this all day at work and see hmm what car might work for him tuff!
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    stickguy said:

Yup. Title work arrived, so we are all set to go. Picking the car up Thursday evening.

Nice bonus having the delivery delayed. Saved me a big chunk of change. Got my Uber approval in this week, and have what I need for that incentive. SM said no problem applying it, so worked out in my favor.
    Am I understanding correctly that there's an incentive for buying a car if you put in an application to be an Uber driver? If so, what if you don't do it....?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    qbrozen said:

FIL is in need of some assistance. He has been looking to trade his MGM with 115k miles for something a bit less used. The challenge is that he told me he does not like true bucket seats. His MGM has the split bench and that is what he likes. Everything else feels too cramped.

Aside from a lower-mileage Panther car (or truck), what options does he have? So far, keeping within the past decade, I have only identified the Lucerne and Impala (and I'm pretty sure he would not be interested in the latter). I tried to find a DTS equipped as such, but no luck.

At one point, an Avalon could be so equipped. However, that may have only been the first generation in which case I'm dating myself big time. I'm surprised at the lack of DTS bench examples. Seems I see those on CL all the time, but again maybe those were all prior to the final gen car.

Buckets may be inevitable, so if he has to accept that maybe steer him toward a 300 which at least has some nice wide seats. RWD too, so on par with what he has if he cares about that.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    I thought about a 300, but I steered him toward a Continental first (although the price made him choke) but he told me yesterday he tried one on and found it cramped/small. So if that beast is cramped, I don't know what would work for him.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    js06gv said:

At one point, an Avalon could be so equipped. However, that may have only been the first generation in which case I'm dating myself big time. I'm surprised at the lack of DTS bench examples. Seems I see those on CL all the time, but again maybe those were all prior to the final gen car. Buckets may be inevitable, so if he has to accept that maybe steer him toward a 300 which at least has some nice wide seats. RWD too, so on par with what he has if he cares about that.
    Correct on the Avalon offering a bench. It stoped after the second generation though which I think was 2012. The 300 is a good suggestion other than that, he may have to look at full sized trucks. The way they incentivize the F150, he could come out with a good deal.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    they won't be climbing into a truck at their ages

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Must it be from within the past decade? Some deals out there to be found on old land yachts, think a 77-79 Town Car or Fleetwood. Definitely will find a nice split bench there.
  • Options
    wouldn't be much point in getting a car older than he has now. I honestly forget the year of his MGM. I want to say 2010.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I think you could get the pre-2016 Impala with a bench.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    That's an interesting footnote of auto history there.... the front bench seat! Man, that used to be so common, and pretty much standard for larger vehicles. I'm somewhat surprised that he finds even the largest of bucket seat cars "cramped," since the panther platform wasn't really all that generous with cabin room. Huge car, but not all that roomy. If he's always had bench seats, though, just having that center console boxing him in probably feels somewhat confining.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @Marcothecarguy1986 I still have my 2008 Forester. Right now, I have it loaned out to a friend (since July) so that it is out of my driveway (and off my insurance!), but he's aware that I may need it back as early as March. So, I'm in no hurry to jump into something else. I keep thinking that I should just give the Forester to him and be done with it, but I also think that it would be a great "kid vehicle." My son is about six months away from a learner permit. /sigh

I may look at a used diesel Equinox when there's a market for them.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    Avalon hasn’t had a bench available since 2004, and even then forget about finding one. 

The last cars that had them were the 2011 Panthers and the last runs of the Lucerne and DTS as mentioned

Sounds like he should be looking for a 2011 Town car with low mileage.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    My son liked bench seats but found the Impala buckets roomy enough.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    The Buick Lacrosse seats, while buckets, were very roomy and comfortable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Just don't show him a Fiesta RT with the sport seats.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @pensfan83 and @graphicguy -

I've been asked for some advice from a friend who is looking to surprise her husband with a TLX A-Spec, and curious what your thoughts are since it's the same car as you two recently acquired.

Here are the initial offers from the dealership (in NC), which I assume are well-padded (as an initial offer):

MSRP: $44,409
    Sale Price: $40,884

Lease offer at 36 months/10k miles:

$422/month w/$5k due at signing (includes 1st month's pmt and NC registration)
    $511/month w/$2k due at signing

Not sure how much that registration is, but obviously my first piece of advice will be to avoid the upfront payment.

Apparently, there is an additional $2,000 incentive to lease vs. finance.

I'll check into all of it too, but thought I'd at least get your initial thoughts.

Thanks!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    suydam said:

I think you could get the pre-2016 Impala with a bench.

Yup. I listed that, but don't think he'd care for it.

I did send him a Towncar last night, but a 2006 Designer Series with 64k miles for $7990. He said he might go see that today. Has all the chrome spats and carriage top, so it is right up his alley. I know it is older, but looks nice and pampered.

• Options
    @xwesx nice nice would look in to one of those in 2 years when sum do start cumming in to the used car Market! and yes would keep the 2008 for your son that is for shore good first car for him!
  • Options
    @qbrozen good car for him to look at the 2006! after 2011 cant find or no of any cars the way he wants!
  • Options
    look what followed me home. Yes, it is true, I am capable of buying a car (and not just talking about it!)

Some details (short version, been a long day!). after much confusion with the dealer (waiting for them to locate title, then today finding out that they swapped a different car than what I was originally told, so had to get updated paperwork from insurance company), I arrived shortly after 5:30 tonight to finalize. Car was out front with a sold sign in windshield, a good sign. walked around, looked perfect. So went in, and found SM, who I had many conversations with this past week. He introduced me to a senior salesman to finish up the deal. Signed various papers, played with the car waiting for finance, and finally got in there (in and out in record time). Then I got back in the old car, and left! Had to swing over to airport (5 minutes away) to pick up my daughter, brought her back, retrieved the new car and she followed me home in the Sonata. So, overall, a success.

Details to follow.

• Options
    @stickguy, sharp car! Congrats and hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    Details following - $ first. The one I got had a few less accessories (did not end up with homelink/auto dim mirror, but will live without). So price was actually less than expected. Final deal: MSRP was $24,160. I paid $18,939. For a 2018. And yes, I got $1,000 knocked off tonight by showing my newly minted Uber driver profile (for the roughly 1 hour investment in time, a really nice payout!) So at that price, I could keep it 2-3 years and sell it, and almost definitely have a lower total cost than if I had leased. Plus, none of the costs or stress of leasing!

put about 20 miles on it driving home. This is a lot of car for that money. Going to take some getting used to. Much different than the Sonata. But I was ready for a change! The handling is light years better. Took an off ramp with some bumps that usually had the sonata stepping sideways and sliding a bit, and the Sport just gripped and turned. Very tight. Trade off of course, the ride is stiffer, but will be nice being able to have some back road fun for a change. and I really like the engine. quick for sure. Great seats. Stereo, well, probably not as good but was not too bad, but good enough for what I need (the upgrade was going to cost $2k).

Also, the trip computer said that on the way home (some local streets, a highway stretch, then some local streets) I got 36.7 MPG. That is a good initial sign!

My daughter took one look (it was a surprise, she knew I bought something, but didn't tell her what) and accused me of stealing her car (she really liked this when we test drove). So depending on how it goes, I definitely have an option in play to be shopping again next summer!

will have to get out this weekend on some backroads to give it a workout and see how it does.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,395
    Congrats @stickguy!

Looks great!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    Nice car, stick!

And, I like the "Batman" angle of the photo.

Keep posting your thoughts; I'm hoping @jpp5862 and I are able to get out on Saturday and do some test driving.

He's interested in the RR Velar and Volvo S90; me, the Elantra Sport and 2018 Accord.

Ah, to be young and single!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4